BT Development Mentor Program Archives » shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN TO HIPPIES Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2011-01-11 12:08 PM
in reply to: #3292596

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Subject: RE: shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN AGAIN!
Meulen - 2011-01-11 10:04 AM I'd like to chime in on bike shorts. DeSoto has the 400 mile chamois in their shorts. It floats! Meaning, you can use it for a tri.

3 sentences, 3 smilies.  You must be in a good mood today Brian!  But yes, DeSoto has some pretty bitchin shorts.  The Forza tri shorts have a smaller version of the 400 chamois if memory serves that is supposed to be outstanding also. 

2011-01-11 12:11 PM
in reply to: #3292609

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shmeeg - 2011-01-11 12:08 PM

Meulen - 2011-01-11 10:04 AM I'd like to chime in on bike shorts. DeSoto has the 400 mile chamois in their shorts. It floats! Meaning, you can use it for a tri.

3 sentences, 3 smilies.  You must be in a good mood today Brian!   

It happens!!
2011-01-11 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3292618

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Meulen - 2011-01-11 10:11 AM

It happens!!

What's that whole starwars gadgetry on the bike in your avatar pic?  Going camping? Laughing
2011-01-11 12:18 PM
in reply to: #3292624

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shmeeg - 2011-01-11 12:13 PM

It happens!!

What's that whole starwars gadgetry on the bike in your avatar pic?  Going camping? Laughing

bah!!! You making fun of my bling?!!! LOL

That's my Xlab wing system with gorilla water bottle cages and CO2 cartridges.
2011-01-11 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3292598

Regular
Spruce Grove
So helpful!! Thanks!

Bruce's question got me thinking more about race gear this morning and I'd like to try and cover some more on this for you guys.

What do you need on race day?  Are you going to wear a wetsuit?  Do you need sunblock?  What happens if you flat a tire before the race starts?  Do you get chafed?  All things to think about and prepare for to make race day as smooth as possible.  I tend to be a gear monger and am definitely not a minimalist/live off the course type of guy.  I like all my gadgets and sports drinks, etc.  You may choose to carry more/less, it's obviously a personal preference and relative to race distance.  I've attached the spreadsheet I use to pack for races that I compiled over last season.  Hasn't let me down yet.  Here's the nuts and bolts:
2011-01-11 12:43 PM
in reply to: #3292639

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Meulen - 2011-01-11 10:18 AM
shmeeg - 2011-01-11 12:13 PM

It happens!!

bah!!! You making fun of my bling?!!! LOL That's my Xlab wing system with gorilla water bottle cages and CO2 cartridges.

LOL I know what it is!  Just thought maybe the mother ship transponder beacon quit workin' Wink

2011-01-11 4:05 PM
in reply to: #3291842

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Mtb63 - 2011-01-11 5:37 AM Yepper, the soggy dump thingy had me worried, I can see where that would be uncomfortable, if not unsettling.    Looks like I'll be shopping.

Thanks Jay.

I really like Specialized clothing products.  Take a look at their triathlon shorts, I beleive they are called Transition.  For some unknown reason, these are the only shorts and bibs that don't give me a rash.  On the other hand, I have had the worst luck with Voler products.  However, remember, everyone will be different.  Just thought I would throw out what I've experienced.

Specialized's marketing makes it tough on the consumer though.  The company does not allow Internet sales from their distributors.  So, you would have to either buy from a local shop or directly from Specialized.
2011-01-11 4:08 PM
in reply to: #3257098

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Hey Jay, how about a QOTD to get things moving around here?  I saw you threw one out a while back.
2011-01-11 4:30 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Ah, good idea.  Haven't had one in a few.  I'll steal one out of our old thread, Tim :-).

QOTD:  What do you hope to gain from the Mentor Group?

I hope to help usher some new triathletes into the sport and make it a wonderful, successful first season for them.  I'd like to think I'm being a good ambassador of our sport.  That's it!
2011-01-11 5:23 PM
in reply to: #3293285

Regular
Spruce Grove
I hope to gain a friendly place to turn to with question and just a connection with people on a similar path as me! My husband is supportive but doesn't want all the non-stop details, lol

shmeeg - 2011-01-11 3:30 PM Ah, good idea.  Haven't had one in a few.  I'll steal one out of our old thread, Tim :-).

I hope to help usher some new triathletes into the sport and make it a wonderful, successful first season for them.  I'd like to think I'm being a good ambassador of our sport.  That's it!
2011-01-11 5:27 PM

Regular
Spruce Grove
Question:

So I looked up last year's finish times for the triathlon I'm registered for. There weren't many women in the whole thing, it seemed kind of small overall actually. And I'm feeling a little panicked, because I'm SLOW compared to those times. So slow!! And I'm worried if training until June is going to get me where I need to be, or if I'm going to be embarrassingly dead last finishing ages behind everyone.

It takes me 40-45 right now to run/walk 5k. I am definitely a little faster outside than I am on my treadmill, but mega snow and cold mean I'm sticking with the treadmill mostly til March. And I haven't ever hit 20k on the indoor trainer, it took me about an hour and a bit to do 11km. I was going slowish on purpose, but still.

Swim is the only area I think I can finish in a semi-reasonable time.

Any advice or just don't panic and see where I'm at in a few months?

2011-01-11 5:43 PM
in reply to: #3293407

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Another android double post!

Edited by shmeeg 2011-01-11 5:44 PM
2011-01-11 5:43 PM
in reply to: #3293407

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
lsmapp - 2011-01-11 3:27 PMQuestion:<br /><br />So I looked up last year's finish times for the triathlon I'm registered for. There weren't many women in the whole thing, it seemed kind of small overall actually. And I'm feeling a little panicked, because I'm SLOW compared to those times. So slow!! And I'm worried if training until June is going to get me where I need to be, or if I'm going to be embarrassingly dead last finishing ages behind everyone. <br /><br />It takes me 40-45 right now to run/walk 5k. I am definitely a little faster outside than I am on my treadmill, but mega snow and cold mean I'm sticking with the treadmill mostly til March. And I haven't ever hit 20k on the indoor trainer, it took me about an hour and a bit to do 11km. I was going slowish on purpose, but still.<br /><br />Swim is the only area I think I can finish in a semi-reasonable time. <br /><br />Any advice or just don't panic and see where I'm at in a few months?
Well for your first race, I wouldn't even concern yourself with time. Just go out there and establish your own baseline. THEN you can worry about your times at subsequent races. I checked out finish times for all my races as well, but they didn't really mean much until after I had actually raced that distance and had a better idea of my own finishing time and how well I executed my race plan. If you follow a training plan, it will take you up to the race distance for each sport. You will have the confidence that you can go the distance because your training will have taken you there already :-) A little nervousness is a good thing!
2011-01-11 6:40 PM
in reply to: #3293285

Tyler, Texas

I hope to gain a bit of help and knowledge from my new friends here so I can complete my 1st sprint tri this summer, and maybe help some others along the way. 

WOW!  Nice post on the triathlon gear Jay,  I mean Ambassador shmeeg.  Keep it coming!  I'll have more questions after I digest it, I'm sure.  

We have a sprint triathlon here in September that's beginner friendly.  They have 2 beginner clinics several weekends before the event to prepare you for race day and to meet with the local triathlon club if you wish.   John Cobb of Cobb Cycling conducts the clinics.   I can't wait!

--
Bruce

2011-01-11 7:05 PM
in reply to: #3293531

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Mtb63 - 2011-01-11 4:40 PMQOTD:  What do you hope to gain from the Mentor Group?

I hope to gain a bit of help and knowledge from my new friends here so I can complete my 1st sprint tri this summer, and maybe help some others along the way. 

WOW!  Nice post on the triathlon gear Jay,  I mean Ambassador shmeeg.  Keep it coming!  I'll have more questions after I digest it, I'm sure.  

We have a sprint triathlon here in September that's beginner friendly.  They have 2 beginner clinics several weekends before the event to prepare you for race day and to meet with the local triathlon club if you wish.   John Cobb of Cobb Cycling conducts the clinics.   I can't wait!

--
Bruce

Lol ambassador shmeeg! Very cool on the clinics. John Cobb is a legend in our sport. I actually spoke to his wife on the phone a couple times when I was getting some saddles from them. Very nice lady. September? What a long time to wait for your race. You will definitely be in tip top shape! The clinics should give you a good confidence boost as well. My first race I was so nervous staring at the ocean I almost honked!
2011-01-11 10:54 PM
in reply to: #3292598

User image

Woodbridge
Very helpful, didn't hear about the bag trick before. I am getting all my questions just from reading On a side note, got my bike! Hybrid, love it!! Perfect for me; down side, freezing rain, and snow in 20 degree windchill weather, dc sure gets a verity of weather here....guess I'll have to suffer with swimming...

2011-01-11 11:13 PM
in reply to: #3293531

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

I asked for it, so I better answer too!

Actually, learning is a two-way street.  Mentors can gain as much from these conversations as the mentees.  While we can pass our kinowledge onto those entering the sport, we are always learning from the different questions and perspectives posed in these discussions.  Running my last mentor group really kept me on my toes and constantly revisiting literature.  However, at the top of my list, is hearing about different priotrities to training that arise from different cultural, geographical, socioeconomical, and-or religous backgrounds.
2011-01-11 11:15 PM
in reply to: #3293849

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
LAH - 2011-01-11 8:54 PM Very helpful, didn't hear about the bag trick before. I am getting all my questions just from reading On a side note, got my bike! Hybrid, love it!! Perfect for me; down side, freezing rain, and snow in 20 degree windchill weather, dc sure gets a verity of weather here....guess I'll have to suffer with swimming...

Ouch!  And, I heard the East Coast is due for another severe blizzard.  Good luck out there and be safe.
2011-01-11 11:18 PM
in reply to: #3293849

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
LAH - 2011-01-11 8:54 PM Very helpful, didn't hear about the bag trick before. I am getting all my questions just from reading On a side note, got my bike! Hybrid, love it!! Perfect for me; down side, freezing rain, and snow in 20 degree windchill weather, dc sure gets a verity of weather here....guess I'll have to suffer with swimming...

Awesome!  That is a bummer that you can't ride it yet!
2011-01-12 6:54 AM

User image

Jay,
I second the thanks for the race tips. That's exactly what I hope to gain from participating in this mentoring program - lots of great advice from those seasoned athletes in this sport and a forum for getting answers to questions and learning from everyone's experiences as we all work toward our individual goals.  You're doing a great job! 
2011-01-12 9:43 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Since so many of you are treadmill and trainer bound right now, I thought it might be appropriate to pass on some treadmill running tips.  this is from the Active.com email newsletter.  Patrick is one of the founders of Endurance Nation, a company that specialized in coaching/training for long course triathletes.  I listen to their podcast pretty regularly and like their training philosophy.

---------------------------------------------------

By Patrick McCrann
Marathon Nation
For Active.com

When we think of treadmill running, most of us instinctively look down on it as a second-class form of running. But there are times weather, travel or other circumstances will have even the strongest opponent to the treadmill line up and start pushing the buttons for a workout.

Regardless of where you fall on the treadmill love/hate spectrum, running indoors can be incredibly effective. First off, treadmills are safe: no uneven terrain, no scary dark streets, no icy patches or road running. Second, treadmills are convenient: they allow you to have all your food and nutrition, you can multitask with news and/or music, and they are located in almost every gym on the planet. Finally, treadmills are simply consistent: not only do you get the same run every time, but you get to run in a temperature-controlled environment with similar terrain and conditions.

Inside Marathon Nation, each marathon training schedule is built around quality workouts. Think intervals, repeats and specific paces. Once the winter hits and the snow starts to fall, our athletes are faced with the no-so-fun prospect of trying to hit specific zones in less than ideal conditions.

The treadmill is the default winter weapon of choice to make sure that we can incrementally increase the workload and ensure increased fitness regardless of the weather outside. Having treadmill access means you have zero excuses for missing that next run workou.

Let’s take it one step further and see how you can make your indoor running insanely effective instead of something you just do to kill time until the temperature comes around.

Be Prepared

Running indoors when it’s cold outside can be logistically challenging. To make sure you are 100 percent ready for a great treadmill workout, you’ll need to have all the right gear and equipment to handle the indoor temps.

Treadmill Clothes : Regardless of your pace, you’ll most likely get your sweat on. As such, we recommend a well-fit technical T-shirt and a quality pair of shorts. Wear your regular running shoes — just make sure they are clean. Additional items to consider could be a sweatband (old school but effective) or wristbands (also to catch excess sweat).

Treadmill Gear : Given the indoor nature, you’ll want to keep yourself well-hydrated and as dry as possible. An easy to use waterbottle that you can operate with one hand is critical, and keep the water as cold as possible. A hand towel is also a good idea (I use a face cloth from home), just to wipe your face, hands, and arms as needed. If entertainment is your thing, you’ll want earphones to plug into your fancy treadmill—or at least your own music source if you are on a regular treadmill.

Warm Up Right

It’s all too easy to just jump on the treadmill and start cranking away at your set pace. This is forgetting that when you run outside your body naturally rolls into its optimal pace. Here’s a basic warm up to help make your workout as safe and effective as possible:

• Walk for 3 minutes: Start easy and build it up to a brisk walk in the last minute.
  • Jog for 3 minutes: If you know your marathon pace, this effort is about 1 to 1.5 minutes slower per mile.
  • 3 x 20/40s: This is 20 seconds fast, 40 seconds recovery. Goal here is to get the blood pumping and have you ready to hit your intervals / training session at 100 percent.

And let’s not forget about cooling down, too. Ideally you’ll be able to walk your run out. The basic golden rule here is one minute for every mile run; a five-miler will net you about five minutes of easy walking.

Focus On Your Cadence

The biggest difference between running outside and indoors is that on a treadmill the ground is moving while you stay in place. This is evident when we compare the two: an 8:00/mile effort on your regular run might net you a heart rate of 150bpms and a perceived exertion level of 7. But that same pace on a treadmill has your HR at 140bpms and feels more like a 5.5 than a 7. Don’t be bummed about the difference. Use it to your advantage by improving your form.

There are two ways to run faster: longer strides or more of the same length strides. Increased cadence is the easier part of the “running faster” equation, and a treadmill is the perfect place to get this done. You have a timer right in front of you and little else to occupy your attention. You can actually hear your foot strike and will be able to find the sweet spot for your foot placement (hint: it’s pretty quiet). And you can begin working on a cadence of about 180 foot strikes per minute (about 90 for just one foot).

Here’s How to Improve Your Cadence:

Establish a Baseline Number : Simply count one foot every time it hits the floor for about 15 seconds. Multiply by 4 and you have your current number. Remember the target is about 90, so do the math to see how big your gap is. For example, if my single foot cadence is 82, I have 8 steps to make up. A baseline goal is about 2 steps per week, assuming you are running four times weekly.

• Week 1: Implement 5 x 1 minute focus intervals in at least three workouts. During each focus interval you are counting your strides to make sure they are at your baseline + 2 level. When not in a focus interval, run at your easy, self-selected pace.
  • Week 2: Implement 5 x 2 minute focus intervals as ODDS at baseline +2, EVENS at baseline +4.
  • Week 3: Implement 5 x 3 minute focus intervals. Within each 3 minute segment, move your cadence up from Baseline +2 to Baseline +4 and then to Baseline +6
  • Week 4: Implement 5 x 3 minutes again, only this time bump the cadence intervals up to Baseline +4 to Baseline +6 and finally Baseline +8.

Test Your Fitness

One of the biggest challenges to moving indoors is trying to reconcile the fitness you know you have on the open road with what you are doing for your workouts on the treadmill. There are fancy formulas and lots of tips out there to help you do the fuzzy math, but there’s a better way. If you see a good amount of treadmill running in your future, do a proper test to remove all doubt.

The Marathon Nation Treadmill Test: After a quality warm up (as listed above), run a 3-mile time trial effort. Start with the effort you know you could run a 5K outdoors. Evaluate how you feel every 1/2 mile starting at the 1 mile mark, adjusting the pace faster/slower as needed. At the end you’ll have your new "high-end" pace and heart rate and can now begin to dial in the remainder of your regular workouts accordingly. Note the treadmill should be at about 1.5%.

Use Incline to Your Advantage

Running on a flat treadmill is, by all accounts, similar to running down a slight decline on the open road. Combined with the treadmill’s inertia, you’d be tempted to over-stride a bit and lose your natural running form. Standard Treadmill Protocol (STP) is to set the incline at 1% as the baseline for all your runs.

As you begin to improve on the treadmill, the natural tendency is to increase the speed at which you are running via the magical up arrows…but remember this won’t really translate to the open road. Instead of just going faster, challenge yourself by increasing your base incline amount. Feel good at 8:00/mile and think 7:50s will be easier? Keep it at 8:00s but up the incline from 1% to 2%…and see how that feels. At the very least, try to alternate between incline and speed adjustments as you continue on your indoor regimen.

For those of you who’ll be running faster than 6:00/mile in your intervals, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a gym treadmill that can handle it. Challenge yourself by upping the incline first, pace second. A 6:00/mile at 4% is the equivalent of a 5:32 mile… see if you can hang on! For more treadmill pacing via incline guidance, check out this Treadmill Pace Conversion Chart.

Good luck this winter. Stay focused. With the right work and proper attention, you can emerge from the cold with improved form and great fitness.

Focus On Your Cadence

The biggest difference between running outside and indoors is that on a treadmill the ground is moving while you stay in place. This is evident when we compare the two: an 8:00/mile effort on your regular run might net you a heart rate of 150bpms and a perceived exertion level of 7. But that same pace on a treadmill has your HR at 140bpms and feels more like a 5.5 than a 7. Don’t be bummed about the difference. Use it to your advantage by improving your form.

There are two ways to run faster: longer strides or more of the same length strides. Increased cadence is the easier part of the “running faster” equation, and a treadmill is the perfect place to get this done. You have a timer right in front of you and little else to occupy your attention. You can actually hear your foot strike and will be able to find the sweet spot for your foot placement (hint: it’s pretty quiet). And you can begin working on a cadence of about 180 foot strikes per minute (about 90 for just one foot).

Here’s How to Improve Your Cadence:

Establish a Baseline Number : Simply count one foot every time it hits the floor for about 15 seconds. Multiply by 4 and you have your current number. Remember the target is about 90, so do the math to see how big your gap is. For example, if my single foot cadence is 82, I have 8 steps to make up. A baseline goal is about 2 steps per week, assuming you are running four times weekly.

• Week 1: Implement 5 x 1 minute focus intervals in at least three workouts. During each focus interval you are counting your strides to make sure they are at your baseline + 2 level. When not in a focus interval, run at your easy, self-selected pace.
  • Week 2: Implement 5 x 2 minute focus intervals as ODDS at baseline +2, EVENS at baseline +4.
  • Week 3: Implement 5 x 3 minute focus intervals. Within each 3 minute segment, move your cadence up from Baseline +2 to Baseline +4 and then to Baseline +6
  • Week 4: Implement 5 x 3 minutes again, only this time bump the cadence intervals up to Baseline +4 to Baseline +6 and finally Baseline +8.

Test Your Fitness

One of the biggest challenges to moving indoors is trying to reconcile the fitness you know you have on the open road with what you are doing for your workouts on the treadmill. There are fancy formulas and lots of tips out there to help you do the fuzzy math, but there’s a better way. If you see a good amount of treadmill running in your future, do a proper test to remove all doubt.

The Marathon Nation Treadmill Test: After a quality warm up (as listed above), run a 3-mile time trial effort. Start with the effort you know you could run a 5K outdoors. Evaluate how you feel every 1/2 mile starting at the 1 mile mark, adjusting the pace faster/slower as needed. At the end you’ll have your new "high-end" pace and heart rate and can now begin to dial in the remainder of your regular workouts accordingly. Note the treadmill should be at about 1.5%.

Use Incline to Your Advantage

Running on a flat treadmill is, by all accounts, similar to running down a slight decline on the open road. Combined with the treadmill’s inertia, you’d be tempted to over-stride a bit and lose your natural running form. Standard Treadmill Protocol (STP) is to set the incline at 1% as the baseline for all your runs.

As you begin to improve on the treadmill, the natural tendency is to increase the speed at which you are running via the magical up arrows…but remember this won’t really translate to the open road. Instead of just going faster, challenge yourself by increasing your base incline amount. Feel good at 8:00/mile and think 7:50s will be easier? Keep it at 8:00s but up the incline from 1% to 2%…and see how that feels. At the very least, try to alternate between incline and speed adjustments as you continue on your indoor regimen.

For those of you who’ll be running faster than 6:00/mile in your intervals, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a gym treadmill that can handle it. Challenge yourself by upping the incline first, pace second. A 6:00/mile at 4% is the equivalent of a 5:32 mile… see if you can hang on! For more treadmill pacing via incline guidance, check out this Treadmill Pace Conversion Chart.

Good luck this winter. Stay focused. With the right work and proper attention, you can emerge from the cold with improved form and great fitness.

2011-01-12 9:57 AM

User image

New user
Lots of great info Jay thanks!
2011-01-12 10:01 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Any of you in need of swim supplies, Swimoutlet.com is giving away a free pair of Sporti S2 goggles w/ every order for the first 1000 people to use coupon code "2011" at checkout.  I have ordered a number of items from them and they are very fast to ship and prices are competitive as well.
2011-01-12 11:35 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Good article Jay.  There is alot of important information in there! 
2011-01-12 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3294835

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
brick94513 - 2011-01-12 9:35 AM Good article Jay.  There is alot of important information in there! 

Test Your Fitness

Tim, what's your opinion of this test versus a typical LT test such as this one recommended by BT?  Think it's comparable?

Edited by shmeeg 2011-01-12 12:20 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN TO HIPPIES Rss Feed  

of 21