BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-01-12 1:38 PM
in reply to: #3295100

User image

Morristown, NJ
Subject: RE: The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group - CLOSED
wbayek - 2011-01-12 2:02 PM Susan, I just read your blog and commented on your question about heart rate monitors and calories burned.  I know that weight management isn't on everyone's list, but here's something I posted in a previous group and I stand by it!

I could go on for hours and hours on this topic.  It's my real passion.  I actually would like to make nutrition a second career if I can figure out how to manage it and keep the house.  I advise some athletes on nutrition, though they tend to be in more "explosive" sports than ours - either football, hockey, or body building.  I'm still learning about nutrition specifically for endurance athletes.  Mostly the differences I'm seeing are not major overhaul of concepts, but realigning some specific balances of carbs/protein/fat.

I don't have a ton of time today, but at some point I can share as much as you want on the topic, maybe offline because it can get lengthy and specific for you.

The short answer is that specific diet details depend on exactly what you want to do (fat loss, performance peaking, muscle gain, etc) and it's also dependent on your own body and physiology.  I know that's not really an answer, but it's the truth.

The core elements of any good diet are pretty basic though not always easy to follow: eat as many foods without an ingredient list as possible, eat everything as close to the source as possible (unprocessed and local is almost always better), any grains you eat should be whole grains, fats are not your enemy, don't starve yourself, cheat every once in a while.

Thanks, I know I should not be too crazy about it, but I do get frustrated when I am training and eating healthy and the scale does not budge.  Last winter/spring I trained for a Sprint Tri and lost exactly 0 pounds!  I am trying to track better now because I would like to lose about 30 pounds.  

Any help is appreciated!

2011-01-12 3:31 PM
in reply to: #3257135

User image

NH
Susan, I get your frustration.  I'm trying to shed the last 10-15 pounds to get into really fit shape, and it's not happening.  And I actually gained a few pounds during my half iron training last year!

I sent you a pm and we can talk specifics there but we'll follow the general stuff here.  I think it's very inspirational to keep talking about this topic, and studies have shown that the #1 correlative activity for successful weight loss is a positive support group.
2011-01-12 8:30 PM

Burlington
NOW it's feeling like the frozen north.... At first they said 1-3, then 3-6, now they've revised up to 14". Flight canceled this PM to Miami, and will try to get out tomorrow PM, so in addition to being MIA on the forum this week, I'll be MIA on the forum until Monday as I won't have free internet access.

I have revived Jack Bauer in my basement on my spin bike -- wanting to know what happens in the last season of '24' episode by episode gets my butt out of bed in the mornings, or home from work earlier at night. While waiting for Season 8 to come out, we borrowed 'Brothers and Sisters' from someone, and it is *not* the same as the trying-to-catch-the-bad-guys plots of '24' (even when the plots are bad and/or far-fetched). So I have at least 22 more "hours" to go before I need to find something else to entertain me when I'm in the basement....

Good luck to everyone digging out, and working out over the weekend. And a belated congratulations to Wendy on the race!
Kim 
2011-01-12 10:24 PM
in reply to: #3296082

User image

Nevada
Kinda quiet on the forum. Haven't heard from some of you in awhile. Sooooo..while you are all mired in snow, I'll rub it in that I went for a 30 mile bike ride today. The temps were in the low 50's. Not to bragLaughingActually...part of me wishes I had an excuse to stay home under a blanket and read a good book. Anyway you can all live vicariuosly thru me right now. For a fun take on my race this weekend check out my bog www.never2old2tri.com. 
By march it seems I'll be the one complaining about the heat, not the snow and how hard it is to train.  
2011-01-13 5:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
Well yesterday was fun, huh team?  My scientific method, proven to be highly accurate over time, says 16"..... 8" on the deck railing when I shoveled in the a.m., another 8" in the evening when I shoveled again...

OK random musing time....

- Fans of "24" will most likely be fans of the greatest TV show ever aired...."The Wire".
- For 2 months of the year, I am jealous of people who live in milder climates.
- Warren, I'm interested in hearing more from your nutrition perspective.

...and finally, I am slowly coming to accept the reality that triathlon can only ever be #3 priority for me, behind family/work.  Internally I see my potential to be way more competitive than I am, which has long been a source of mental frustration for me....I do what I can do within the constraints of MY life, it's enough to be living an active, healthy lifestyle and I can be as competitive as I can be and that is all.  The balance has often driven me crazy, as my "plans" are thrown off, often as frequently as daily!  When I train, infrequently these last few weeks, I train with intensity and focus and zero distraction.  The value I can squeeze out of my training sessions is as close to fully efficient as I can get, with nothing wasted.   ahhh, feel better now!

Any of you struggle with the balance between life and triathlon?

2011-01-13 7:15 AM
in reply to: #3296403

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Hi Guys,

Good and bad this week. My hubby was on travel to North Dakota with highs of below 0 degrees. It really makes training hard.
I got my swim in because my kids summer swim team coach is on semester break. i can get most of my workouts in, albeit shorter ones except running.

I have a treadmill and I have stared at it, paced around it, stood on it but cannot get a run on. 10 seconds and I feel like I am dying.
I usually run on Tues, Thurs, and Sat with my running group. Tuesday we had a snowstorm and tonight I have kid basketball. This Saturday suppose to be a long 16 mile run. Its a flat trail but its still 16 miles. I haven't ran all week. what am I suppose to do? How do you guys get thru a treadmill workout? I know I have to get a run in today to be prepared for Sat.

Another note, how do you get faster in the water. I am the slowest swimmer in the slow lane. We do intervals but they are more focused on form and technique. She wants us slowpoke to swim right instead of just swimming to keep up. I take that class 2x a week. Do I need to do swim intervals or find swimming speed workouts to do on my own?

Today, my fins rubbed my toe raw. first time it has happen and I've been using them since Sept 2009. Going to get some fin socks.

Enough of my pity party.

2011-01-13 8:03 AM

User image

NH
Wendy - 50 degrees and a nice outside ride?  We all hate you!

Kevin - I definitely struggle with the balance.  Historically I'm a very competitive person, but the reality of a family and the rest of "real" life is that triathlon is a hobby.  And due to the time limits I really want to get the most out of every second I'm training, so maybe that's where I spend a lot of energy.

Lovey - I hate indoor running, never do it.  Fro some reason I don't mind riding on the trainer or rollers though.  In fact, I'm really starting to actually enjoy the rollers. 

As far as speed in the water, swimming is all technique.  I never had "formal" lessons, but I did have a friend who is a very accomplished swimmer and coach take video and give me pointers and some things to work on.  It was amazing how much faster and easier swimming was after getting the issues he noticed under control. 

But what I needed work on is not likely what you need work on.  If at all possible, I'd suggest a private lesson from someone familiar with triathlon.  I know it's $$$.  If you can't try to get some video, even for a few strokes, and post it on here.  Tough I know.  I actually have a cheapish camera that also takes video and is waterproof - not the best quality but it works.  Maybe we can work out a loan and you can get someone to take some video.  Seeing what you're doing and then correcting obvious flaws can go a long way.  You're likely already fit enough to swim pretty fast, so I would bet it's all about technique.
2011-01-13 8:07 AM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Hi team!!  We only had 10 inches here of the southern New England coast and I got out for a 30 minute run once the plows were through.  It was quite nice although the snow and wind were still a little tough at times.  I find that running in the snow helps me slow down and practice on form.  I can also backtrack and see my foot prints.  I look for a nice even print of my shoe with no digging in at the heel or toes.  (Assuming the snow hasn't filled them in that is).  There is also a little core and leg work needed to stay balanced and not slip.  I stay on side roads and run in the middle so there is little traffic.

Lovey-the treadmill can be tough.  There are several articles on Runners World.com about workouts to break up the boredom.  Mostly stuff like changing the speed and incline to stay interested. Here are a couple of links:
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7124,s6-238-263--608-0,00.html
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7124,s6-240-322--13404-0,00.html 

I find they help but only use the TM a few times a year.  I have worn a cap with LED lights in the brim and lots of reflective clothing for nighttime runs to avoid the dreadie.  I am lucky that I don't have childcare issues to complicate things.

As to other comments brought up recently I would also love to hear more from Warren about nutrition issues.  I want to lose maybe 5-10 lbs and build some muscle. 

Work/Family/Tri balance is a tough one.  I agree that Tri comes third most of the time.  I have decided that just getting out there and racing at my age is a victory so I try not to get too competitive about finishing times and such.  I appreciate your frustration Kevin.

Have a great day all!  Just remember the snow makes the sunshine brighter!
2011-01-13 12:36 PM
in reply to: #3296570

User image

Morristown, NJ
KOM - 2011-01-13 9:07 AM  
Lovey-the treadmill can be tough.  There are several articles on Runners World.com about workouts to break up the boredom.  Mostly stuff like changing the speed and incline to stay interested. Here are a couple of links:
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7124,s6-238-263--608-0,00.html
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7124,s6-240-322--13404-0,00.html 

Thanks for sending these!  I will be on the treadmill tonight so may try one!
2011-01-13 1:17 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Great feedback from all! Thanks!

Kevin and Kim, I haven't tried either 24 or the Wire - but need to - watching character dramas just isn't getting me through the trainer workouts...I also like watching action movies...but definitely not english period dramas - I think I would fall off the bike!

For treadmill workouts - it's tough. I do think that following a plan (much like following Jorge's winter cycling plan) to speed up. change the incline, etc really helps pass the time and for me really good music on the iPod also helps. I can't watch something on TV and run at the same time because I am too clutzy and trip/fall. I actually kind of zone out and focus on a point in the distance (all the way across the basement) and just let my mind go. At this point in winter for me, they are a necessary evil. If the weather is okay either the roads aren't or it's dark.

Lovey - I have been thinking about my stroke a lot and how I need to really get my hips up. I figured this out because I tried swimming one day with a pull buoy and was remarkably faster - which told me that my position in the water without the pull buoy was flawed. Do you have any friends that are great swimmers that could take a look at your stroke?

Tara - I sincerely hope you enjoyed that ride...we are living vicariously through you. Can't wait until I can get outside for a 30 mile ride in shorts and a t-shirt!

Warren - I think you and I have talked about the timing of food in the past - specifically when it is good to eat certain things, what you should eat prior to a workout/first thing in the am/for dinner...could you share that with the other folks?

I hope you all are doing well!
2011-01-13 1:39 PM
in reply to: #3297611

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
itsallrelative_Maine - 2011-01-13 2:17 PM

Great feedback from all! Thanks!

Kevin and Kim, I haven't tried either 24 or the Wire - but need to - watching character dramas just isn't getting me through the trainer workouts...I also like watching action movies...but definitely not english period dramas - I think I would fall off the bike!

For treadmill workouts - it's tough. I do think that following a plan (much like following Jorge's winter cycling plan) to speed up. change the incline, etc really helps pass the time and for me really good music on the iPod also helps. I can't watch something on TV and run at the same time because I am too clutzy and trip/fall. I actually kind of zone out and focus on a point in the distance (all the way across the basement) and just let my mind go. At this point in winter for me, they are a necessary evil. If the weather is okay either the roads aren't or it's dark.

Lovey - I have been thinking about my stroke a lot and how I need to really get my hips up. I figured this out because I tried swimming one day with a pull buoy and was remarkably faster - which told me that my position in the water without the pull buoy was flawed. Do you have any friends that are great swimmers that could take a look at your stroke?

Tara - I sincerely hope you enjoyed that ride...we are living vicariously through you. Can't wait until I can get outside for a 30 mile ride in shorts and a t-shirt!

Warren - I think you and I have talked about the timing of food in the past - specifically when it is good to eat certain things, what you should eat prior to a workout/first thing in the am/for dinner...could you share that with the other folks?

I hope you all are doing well!

My computer ate my last post.

• ...Loved 24, didn't care for the wire. The Unit was the bomb though.

• ...Working the spin classes into my schedule or setting up indoor trainer. This will be the biggest challenge for me in the Iron Man Challenge. I will run in frigid weather but I feel like my insides are frozen if I ride outdoors in the cold.

• ...My running buddy wants to do a Spring duathlon which requires racing based on spin class training or riding in the cold. I think I may really be nuts to consider this. Then again, I am tinking of a marathon, what could be crazier. Hmmm..

• ...Will try the treadmill workouts. they remind me of Biggest Loser training. Love that show too.

• ...My swim class is taught by a triathlon coach. She corrects my strokes and gives us drills. I have improved alot. When I started over a year agao, I went backwards in the pool to her amazement. I think I may need to be more patient. I got taped underwater once a long while ago at a swim clinic and was more amazed that my large chest, thunder thighs and fat tummy didn't sink me like a log. My form didn't seem horrible at all. Maybe its my kick. I may still have that dvd. Maybe I can post it somehow.

• ...Joined weight watchers last week. Another of my running buddies is a lifetime leader and has been trying to give me food tips and encouragement. I LOST 4.4lbs my first week. Hopefully I can keep this up.

• Edited by Lovey 2011-01-13 1:41 PM

2011-01-13 6:22 PM

User image

St. Clair Shores, MI
    Hi Everyone.

Busy biking and running...not so much swimming...but I got new goggles so I am excited to try them out and see if the help with my racoon eyes.

Swim training:  Try swimsmooth.com.  I learned how to do a flip turn from watching a video on this website.

Wishing warmer temps for all!
    2011-01-13 8:47 PM
    in reply to: #3297656

User image

Expert
    Way to go Lovey! 4.4 pounds is a great accomplishment and shows just how much you are tearing it up during your workouts!
    2011-01-13 8:49 PM
    in reply to: #3298329

User image

Master
    East Side of the Bay
    jgrigg - 2011-01-13 7:22 PM Hi Everyone.

Busy biking and running...not so much swimming...but I got new goggles so I am excited to try them out and see if the help with my racoon eyes.

Swim training:  Try swimsmooth.com.  I learned how to do a flip turn from watching a video on this website.

Wishing warmer temps for all!
    Please post on the goggles.  I am tired of the ring marks that last for HOURS.  Would love to find something better.
    2011-01-13 9:10 PM
    in reply to: #3297611

User image

Expert
    Hi all: I just wanted to check in and say hi before going to bed. Yesterday, we got 20 inches and I skipped the ride on the stationary bike to go shovel snow for two hours. I burned a ton of calories but still feel sore even today. Seeing all thAt snow reminds me of how much I love to run whe it's snowing out. Does anyone else enjoy that? Growing up in Cleveland, I used to run afterschoo l when it got dark. Snowy evenings we so special because of the quiet that came from the falling snow. The only sound being your breathing and your shoes squeaking quietly everytime you landed. It was awesome... Much better than a ride with the temperature in the 50's : )I hope to hit turbine tomorrow for a 25 minute ride and then I plan to hit the pool for the first time on Saturday. Have a great Friday.
    2011-01-13 10:07 PM

User image

Veteran
    Severna Park, MD
    Wendy we are jealous of your weather...here in the Baltimore area we did not get hammered as they did up north and east.  Don't get me wrong it is still cold out.

As for training..I know it is difficult to juggle family, work and then training.  I will either workout in the evenings or early in the morning.  I do not follow a plan as my work schedule can change at anytime.  I have to be flexible with training and just do what I can.  I look forward to training as it is a HUGE stress reliever.

Looking forward to the IM challenge, start date Sunday January 16 

2011-01-14 6:53 AM
    in reply to: #3298677

User image

Veteran
    Baltimore Area
    scott1223 - 2011-01-13 11:07 PM

Wendy we are jealous of your weather...here in the Baltimore area we did not get hammered as they did up north and east.  Don't get me wrong it is still cold out.

Yes it is cold out in the Baltimore area.

Scott - Since you are in Severna Park, do you train on the B&A Trail? It was really pretty and peaceful with the snow falling last weekend.
    2011-01-14 7:36 AM

New user

Hope everyone is keeping warm!

Kathy- Thx for the HR monitor info. 

Got through phase one of the C25K aggressive program!  Woohoo (insert golf clap here)!  Running 1:30 intervals with ease now.  Got one session of swimming in. 

Feeling the mid-January drag (as I'm sure some of you are feeling too).  I want to hibernate.  Body is plateauing on weight.  This happened with my first child as well, and it took a year to get my body back.  It'll eventually come off.

Am I allowed to put "shoveling 14" of snow" down for crosstraining?  It wasn't on the drop down list.   Have a happy weekend!

2011-01-14 8:42 AM

User image

Morristown, NJ
    Lovey-Congrats on 4.4 pounds!  that is awesome.

Any one shoveling double digit inches of snow, I would say that counts as crosstraining. 
    2011-01-14 8:48 AM

User image

Nevada
    I'm trying to add brick workouts to my training, but have a question. Starting out how shoud I be appraoching them. An easy swim followed by a hard bike or hard swim, easy bike or........any advice?
    2011-01-14 9:27 AM
    in reply to: #3299134

User image

Master
    Midcoast Maine
    Jacks4life - 2011-01-13 9:48 PM I'm trying to add brick workouts to my training, but have a question. Starting out how shoud I be appraoching them. An easy swim followed by a hard bike or hard swim, easy bike or........any advice?

There is a lot of differing opinions about brick workouts (FWIW - a brick workout is defined as any workout followed by another with less than 10 minutes in between). I would push the question back to you and ask what your purpose is for doing them? Is it to be sure mentally that you can complete the two tasks? Is it because you have a single time block available each day - so you must fit it both workouts at the same time?

I firmly believe that as a beginner - bricks are a great way for you to 1) see the progress that you are making and 2) quell any inner demons that may have you doubting your ability to complete an entire triathlon. That being said - I think you will have a much higher quality workout if you focus on one sport at a time ( for instance: swim in the am, run in the pm). About a month or so out from your race, you could throw in a couple of bricks (swim then bike one day bike then run another) just to get used to how your body will feel making the transition between one sport and the next. It also helps you with practicing the actual transition (taking off your bike shoes - if you are wearing bike shoes, putting on your running shoes, grabbing any nutrition you might want and "sprinting" out the door).

2011-01-14 9:48 AM
    in reply to: #3298973

User image

Veteran
    Baltimore Area
    Syrinx61 - 2011-01-14 8:36 AM

Hope everyone is keeping warm!

Kathy- Thx for the HR monitor info. 

Got through phase one of the C25K aggressive program!  Woohoo (insert golf clap here)!  Running 1:30 intervals with ease now.  Got one session of swimming in. 

Feeling the mid-January drag (as I'm sure some of you are feeling too).  I want to hibernate.  Body is plateauing on weight.  This happened with my first child as well, and it took a year to get my body back.  It'll eventually come off.

Am I allowed to put "shoveling 14" of snow" down for crosstraining?  It wasn't on the drop down list.   Have a happy weekend!

Rachael, under Sports at the bottom of your training log, there is an option for Snow Shoveling. So yes, you can count it.

On another note, I have a 16 miler on my training scheduled but I missed both of my weekday runs. Do I run at a slower pace or run/walk intervals to ease any stress on my body?
    Update: I think my brain may be playing tricks or it’s in denial. Even though I missed my runs, I stilled swam and did my strength training class. Physically, I have been feeling fine with no aches or pains. Then this morning, I woke up with my right hip feeling sore. Is this in my head because I am getting anxious?

Edited by Lovey 2011-01-14 10:41 AM
    2011-01-14 1:24 PM
    in reply to: #3299307

User image

Master
    Midcoast Maine
    Lovey - 2011-01-13 10:48 PM On another note, I have a 16 miler on my training scheduled but I missed both of my weekday runs. Do I run at a slower pace or run/walk intervals to ease any stress on my body? Update: I think my brain may be playing tricks or it’s in denial. Even though I missed my runs, I stilled swam and did my strength training class. Physically, I have been feeling fine with no aches or pains. Then this morning, I woke up with my right hip feeling sore. Is this in my head because I am getting anxious?

It's great you are getting other activities in. Don't beat yourself up about missing a workout. What's done is done. You've got several choices for this weekend...do two shorter runs (maybe 8 miles a piece), do the 16 miles easy (if you feel like you need to walk - then walk), pretend that you did all of the runs this week leading up to the long run and do the long run as planned or you could just repeat this week next week...

I think the key here is listen to your body. What is it telling you? If it starts to get painful, slow down or cut the run short. You may surprise yourself and feel really good the entire time. I believe you have enough base built up that it shouldn't be too much of a shock to your system. What do you think?
    2011-01-14 4:19 PM

going to look at those treadmill workouts when I get back from the gym tonight.  I did an hour of weights last night.  Tonight it looks like it will be swimming. 
    I was able to find a second hand bike trailer for the kiddos so come this spring will be biking with them.
    2011-01-14 7:05 PM

User image

Nevada
    I think I may have found out what overtraining feels like. I went out for my planned 7 mile run today and about a mile and half in, my legs felt so heavy I couldn't run anymore. I looked at my watch to see that my pace was pretty slow. I ended up walking for because it was such a nice day. Didn't even have the strength to walk all 7. Ended up home at 5. Think it's time for a day off tomorrow, maybe a nice soak in the tub or hot tub at the gym.....
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23