of 24

2011-01-20 4:44 PM
in reply to: #3311963

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Subject: RE: Big Steve's Group - CLOSED
TriToga - 2011-01-20 4:56 PM Big Steve.  How's it going?

The more I study swimming the more I need to lean.  For new swimmers, take a look at these links.  I started using the proper stroke and found I went faster, but got tired quicker - go figure.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm-vSqlWmgs&feature=related
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUULNJEdKU8&feature=fvw

Question for you Steve.  Please take a look at this link on open water swim stroke - which do you use and why?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB_-1sXrYeE&feature=related

Also, I started training with a pull buoy and found I swim faster with it than when I kick.  I assume it's becasue I have to much drag in my lower half and legs.  Any thoughts on how to correct this?

Thanks very much - TriToga. 

I use the 3rd method from the video, rotating my body and head every 3 strokes.  The 1st one is not a good idea because lifting your head will increase the angle of the rest of your body in the water and will cause more drag. I do however pick up my head every 10 breaths (approx) for spotting purposes.  I only do that because I tend to go left often instead of perfectly straight. I assume that’s because my right arm is stronger or more efficient than my left.   Rotating to both sides is tough at first, I've read there is no difference in performance from that or only rotating to one side for a breath during every other stroke.  The later was much easier for me when I was starting out and I still do that when I start getting tired. 

As far as kicking goes… I hope someone else here can help more than me.  My kicking is horrible, when I practice kick drills alone I have a hard time getting any forward movement so I'm definitely doing something wrong.  Kicking during the swim doesn't seem to slow me down though because I don’t do much actually. I know I’ll get faster when I figure this part out.  Here are some good video’s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OsfFjdnzGc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlHqN9OkCUA

Sounds like you've built up some endurance so I would say you're ready for a few lessons.  I got 1 lesson before my first sprint and it helped a lot.  I'm actually starting an 8 week total immersion class today in Scotch Plains with Thea from http://www.tri4funtraining.com/  .   My Tri coach recommended her.  I’ll let you all know how that goes.

-Steven

2011-01-20 4:59 PM
in reply to: #3288839

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Subject: RE: Interesting Central Jersey Group...Meet & Greet?
Northern ivy - 2011-01-09 8:54 PM It seems that we have a bunch of people in the central jersey area (actually we all seem to be within 5 mins of 6 Mile Run and I bet we have all passed each other on the trails).  Would anybody be interested in actually getting together one night to chat; maybe over a bottle of water?

Just an idea as I have seen some N & S Brunswick guys and I am in Milltown?  I work from home so I am very flexible on the schedule side?

Anyone in the central NJ area have any suggestions re: Northery ivy's idea above??  I was going to suggest meeting by 6 mile run this Saturday but maybe with the 20 degree forecast its not the best time.  Any other suggestions? or maybe we just wait for some slightly better weather so some of us can at least get a mountain bike ride in after our meet & greet.

-Steven
2011-01-20 6:46 PM
in reply to: #3312101

User image

New user
Robbinsville
Hey guys,
     i am in Robbinsville, maybe a 20 minute drive to N or S Brunswick. 6 mile looks to be a bit further but absolutely doable. Let me know what you were thinking about getting together, I would love to hear what you guys do for training. I split the bottom of my foot open last week. Not serious, just cracked the skin, but have been very careful with it so I can continue to train. Have done alot of eliptical workouts this week cause it doesn't kill me to do so. But I have been itching for time to get on a real bike. And I am pretty sure my foot would be fine in my mtn bike shoes. I would love to try out this 6 mile I keep hearing about. The trails at Mercer County Park ( my back yard ) are pretty beat up right now and the snow tonight is not going to help them. Let me know what everyone is thinking, I would love to tag along.

PS how does everyone attach the message your responding to?
Justin
2011-01-20 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3312277

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
poolgod - 2011-01-20 7:46 PM Hey guys,
     i am in Robbinsville, maybe a 20 minute drive to N or S Brunswick. 6 mile looks to be a bit further but absolutely doable. Let me know what you were thinking about getting together, I would love to hear what you guys do for training. I split the bottom of my foot open last week. Not serious, just cracked the skin, but have been very careful with it so I can continue to train. Have done alot of eliptical workouts this week cause it doesn't kill me to do so. But I have been itching for time to get on a real bike. And I am pretty sure my foot would be fine in my mtn bike shoes. I would love to try out this 6 mile I keep hearing about. The trails at Mercer County Park ( my back yard ) are pretty beat up right now and the snow tonight is not going to help them. Let me know what everyone is thinking, I would love to tag along.

PS how does everyone attach the message your responding to?
Justin

Ouch! Sorry to hear about your foot.  Get better soon.  6 mile run is on the border of North Brunswick & Somerset @ the intersection of Rt 27 & Hidden Lake Drive.  Once you ride it you will come back over and over.  Its an awesome trail.  I think we tentatively shoot for the morning of the 29th, weather permitting.

-Steven

PS: Hit the  "Quote" button instead of "Reply"  

PPS: Just got back from my first Total Immersion swim class.  OMG - it was awesome.  Apparently keeping your foot @ a 90 degree angle to your leg makes you go backwards LMAO!! Doooh.  Pointed ballerina toes is the way to go and kick with your hips not your knees.  Also, make believe you have to hold a tennis ball with your chin against your chest.  This will keep your head down and improve your form.  Look straight down in the pool or even a bit behind you.  If you're looking forward its very wrong. So much more to learn! I feel more confident than ever that I can shave 20 minutes off my 1:30 2.4 mile swim and feel less tired coming out of the water.   Good night everyone & Good afternoon to our Australian friends.
2011-01-21 6:32 AM
in reply to: #3312101

User image

New user
stevepiv - 2011-01-20 4:59 PM  

Anyone in the central NJ area have any suggestions re: Northery ivy's idea above??  I was going to suggest meeting by 6 mile run this Saturday but maybe with the 20 degree forecast its not the best time.  Any other suggestions? or maybe we just wait for some slightly better weather so some of us can at least get a mountain bike ride in after our meet & greet.

-Steven

With Northern Ivy in Milltown and you in North Brunswick, Barnes and Nobles is always a good meeting place in inclement weather.   I'm going to wait until Sunday to get my ride in.   
2011-01-21 7:40 PM
in reply to: #3312776

User image

Veteran
Subject: All in for a meet and greet...
I am doing a 2 hours session of indoor training down in Long branch in the am and should be done by noon.  I was hoping to get out on sunday with Grant but the temps seem that they might be really, really brutal.  

Would anybody be up for a lunch time get together at Salad Works in North Brunswick, or starbucks or Barnes and Nobel, or Panera all in the same neck of the woods.

NB.  Steve who are you doing TI with? I am going to the three day clinic next weekend. 

2011-01-21 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3264702

User image

Millburn

Okay, I’m in... 

I’ve registered for my first two Sprint Tri Races and as a USAT member.

Candidly, I’m more than a little nervous. 

Not so much about the first event which is an indoor event at the Life Time Fitness Center in Berkeley Heights on April 9th.  This is a timed event, where you go as fast and as far as you can in the allotted time – 1 hour.  I figure it’s a good way to start; pool swim (10min), T1 (10min), spin bike (30min), T2 (5 min) treadmill run (20 min); and only $35 to register.

The second one is the real McCoy!  It’s the Patanella’s Doc and Sok in Watchung on June 26th.  1/3 mile lake swim, 10 mile bike (with some nice hills) and a 5k run. The course is not closed to traffic. More than a few beginnertriathlete.com members have raced it, so I’ll have some idea what to expect. 

I still need to buy a bike, bike clothing and swim suit. I guess Christmas will come early this year. 

Any and all advice is welcome. 

TriToga

2011-01-21 10:46 PM
in reply to: #3314489

User image

New user
Subject: RE: All in for a meet and greet...
Count me in for a meet and greet where ever you guys decide.  

Northern Ivy, 
If it's too cold out this weekend, then I'll settle for a raincheck.  In the meantime, I've got a brand new bike gathering dust.  My downfall is that I tend to get impatient and push it too hard.   With that said, weather or not, I'm riding this weekend, somehow - somewhere.   I've logged 25 miles on the trainer at significantly higher speeds than the mountain bike.   I need to see if the speed translates into the real world.    
2011-01-22 9:00 AM
in reply to: #3314489

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Subject: RE: All in for a meet and greet...
NB.  Steve who are you doing TI with? I am going to the three day clinic next weekend. 
Scotch Plains with Coach Thea from http://www.tri4funtraining.com.
2011-01-22 10:09 AM
in reply to: #3314572

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
TriToga - 2011-01-21 9:33 PM

Okay, I’m in... 

I’ve registered for my first two Sprint Tri Races and as a USAT member.

Candidly, I’m more than a little nervous. 

Not so much about the first event which is an indoor event at the Life Time Fitness Center in Berkeley Heights on April 9th.  This is a timed event, where you go as fast and as far as you can in the allotted time – 1 hour.  I figure it’s a good way to start; pool swim (10min), T1 (10min), spin bike (30min), T2 (5 min) treadmill run (20 min); and only $35 to register.

The second one is the real McCoy!  It’s the Patanella’s Doc and Sok in Watchung on June 26th.  1/3 mile lake swim, 10 mile bike (with some nice hills) and a 5k run. The course is not closed to traffic. More than a few beginnertriathlete.com members have raced it, so I’ll have some idea what to expect. 

I still need to buy a bike, bike clothing and swim suit. I guess Christmas will come early this year. 

Any and all advice is welcome. 

TriToga

Congrads on signing up!  Thats the first big step, now the fun begins. You've got a solid base from all the working out in the gym so that should get you through the indoor event just fine.  16 to 20 weeks out from June 26th you'll need to get a real plan and start logging your training.  I would do that sooner rather than later.

I bought my first bike in Princeton at Jay's Cycles (a Trek 1.5) but I was really surprised when I took it to Jason @ Halters Cycles and the amount of adjustments he needed to make and it helped a lot.  Even if you decide to buy a used bike (plenty of great deals out there) I would take it to Jason for a professional fitting.  Regarding clothing, I buy most of my stuff from TriSports.com.  Their staff is super nice and helpful if you have sizing issues and need to process returns. Regarding a wetsuite, keep in mind that you can rent them as well so if you don't want to invest the $$ yet you can go that route.

Hope this helps.

-Steven
2011-01-22 3:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Brunswick, NJ
Silver member
Subject: Weekly Summary
Hope you're all having a good weekend.

My training week was still not 100% but better than last week.

Swim: 0:39:42 , 1,750 yds
Bike: 4:36:49, 67.33 miles
Run: 0:40:00, 4 miles
Strength: 0:30:00, P90X Chest, Shoulders, Tri's
Other:  5:30:00, 4 hrs snowboarding, 1 hr TI swim drills, :30 snow shoveling 

-Steven 

PS: Here are some good links I got this week:

The Best Health & Fitness Apps for the iPhone
http://lifehacker.com/5726072/the-best-health-and-fitness-apps-for-iphone

How do you diet and train? Here are 5 key ways to lose weight and train: http://www.active.com/running/Articles/How-to-Lose-Weight-to-Train.htm?cmp=17-1-45

3 reasons to enjoy an outdoor workout
    http://www.active.com/fitness/Articles/3-Reasons-to-Enjoy-an-Outdoor-Winter-Workout.htm?cmp=17-1-46

Fuel for any type of training is food, namely carbohydrates. This article summarizes other forms of food which should not be ignored, which is valuable information to keep your body performing at its peak.
    http://www.xtri.com/features_display.aspx?riIDReport=7059&CAT=3&xref=xx

2011-01-22 9:26 PM
    in reply to: #3315434

User image

New user
    Subject: RE: Weekly Summary

Summary
    Event Distance Time
    swimming 6842.5 2:25:00
    run 11.81 2:02:31
    Cycling 37.3 2:22:00

Detail
    Date Event Distance Time
    1/16/2011 Mtn Bike 14.30 1:07:00
    1/17/2011 Swimming  1.25 0:45:00
    1/18/2011 Running   3.98 0:45:00  - incline starting at 5 % and increasing to 15%
    1/19/2011 Swimming  1.56 1:00:00
    1/20/2011 cycling 23.99 1:15
    1/21/2011 Swimming  1.1 0:40:00
    1/22/2011 Running  7.83 1:17:31

And a link  to counter Steve's iphone link- I'm an android user - http://lifehacker.com/5725547/the-best-health-and-fitness-apps-for-android

I love runkeeper for it's ability to turn my android phone into a data acquisition device.  Time, distance, pace, elevation and heart rate.  I only wish they had a way to export the data for analysis in other applications.   

Edited by grauch 2011-01-23 1:06 PM
    2011-01-23 7:01 AM

User image

Here's my summary for the past week:
    S = 7,200 yards in 3 h 10 m (still a bit light due to a snow delay)
    B = 23 miles in 1 h 23 m (trainer)
    R = 0.0 miles (back to the foot doc in two weeks - seems to be getting better!  
    2011-01-23 7:17 PM

User image

New user
    Robbinsville
    Hey everybody,

Crazy week for me, i got all my training in at the end of the week after a split callous on the bottom of my foot. Surprisingly enough, a mixed martial artist I work out with told me that super glue will hold it together. It worked amazingly well, as long as you step on the foot as the super glue dries. Painful if you don't. No swimming for me cause I wanted to foot to heel.

Running                15 miles         1 hr. 58 min.
    Indoor cycling       20 miles         1 hr. 20 min.
    Mtn Bike outdoor  20 miles         1 hr.

I also put the slicks on my mtn bike to get outside on the roads. It was nice to get out but really cold. Frozen snot was not what I had in mind when I decided to start training for a tri. I also do not have winter riding gear, my skiing base layer with my summer riding gear did not serve me well. I will be in Atlantic City the next three days for The National Pool and Spa convention, hoping to  get some pool time while I am there.  Hope every had a great week. Look forward to seeing your progress as it gives me great motivation.

Justin
    2011-01-23 8:39 PM

User image

Vancouver Isand, BC
    Hey all!!!! And here's mine too:

Swimming:  
    2353.00 Yd
    1h 55m
    Biking: 
    21.20 Mi
    3h 16m 15s
    Running:  
    7.10 Mi
    1h 28m
    Strength:  
    50m

I'm entering into a recovery week starting today, kinda looking forward to it; my legs are soooo rubbery.

Here's to a great week!
    2011-01-23 9:58 PM

New user
    Colorado Springs
    Here's my stat's

Swimming:  None - Was suppose to start SAturday with the masters, but wasn't in town and a bum knee.  Frown
    Running: 53 min  3.29 miles
    Biking (spinning): 48 min  14.75 miles (according to the machine)
    Strength:  60 min  chest arms shoulders
    Basketball:  120 mins

I hurt my knee playing Basketball on Wednesday night, so I took some rest till today.  Todays is the first day it did not hurt.  I will start attending the Masters swimming Saturday, so I hope to get everything going next week!!!!!

Edited by OspreyTriAhtlete 2011-01-23 10:00 PM

2011-01-23 10:01 PM
    in reply to: #3315822

New user
    Colorado Springs
    grauch - 2011-01-22 8:26 PM
    And a link  to counter Steve's iphone link- I'm an android user - http://lifehacker.com/5725547/the-best-health-and-fitness-apps-for-android

I love runkeeper for it's ability to turn my android phone into a data acquisition device.  Time, distance, pace, elevation and heart rate.  I only wish they had a way to export the data for analysis in other applications.   

I have runkeeper too and like it.  Thanks for the link for Andriod apps!!!!!

Edited by OspreyTriAhtlete 2011-01-23 10:02 PM
    2011-01-23 11:17 PM

New user
    Colorado Springs
    All,
    I'm looking at bikes new and used.  Should I consider a Tribike in my search?
    2011-01-24 5:23 AM
    in reply to: #3317216

User image

New user
    OspreyTriAhtlete - 2011-01-23 10:01 PM

runkeeper pro is free this month.  Get it before it goes back to a paid app.   
    2011-01-24 12:55 PM
    in reply to: #3317379

New user
    Colorado Springs
    grauch - 2011-01-24 4:23 AM
    OspreyTriAhtlete - 2011-01-23 10:01 PM

runkeeper pro is free this month.  Get it before it goes back to a paid app.   

got it thanks!!!!
    2011-01-24 1:44 PM
    in reply to: #3317283

User image

Extreme Veteran
    North Brunswick, NJ
    Silver member
    OspreyTriAhtlete - 2011-01-24 12:17 AM All,
    I'm looking at bikes new and used.  Should I consider a Tribike in my search?

I would say it depends on how good of a rider you are.  If you've got a couple years of road bike experience I would look at a Tribike.  I just got my first Tribike.  The ride is very different and the amount of control is very different as well especially when you're on the aerobars.  I am not looking forward to my first 40 MPH downhill with aerobars.  Gonna be very scary.  So if you're just starting out, I would go with a road bike.  I also heard that a common mistake most beginners make is putting aerobars on a road bike, I almost did but was talked out of it.

-Steven

2011-01-24 2:12 PM

User image

Veteran
    Subject: Week Summary Through1/23
    This week started off really strong; got some running in out in CA where they do not have snow on the ground.  Did my first session of indoor training (totally killer) with the guys down in Long Branch and then the week came to sudden halt.  My first injury; it seems that I have to have a quick procedure (tues or weds) to remove a clot that is causing some pain on the bike.  They say that it is a 20 min deal and a quick office appointment but I am going to be out of commission for at least a week.  Which is going to totally stink as this weekend was my TI swim clinic!  Yuck!  Well; the sooner I get this done the sooner I will be back at it!

Total Time : 3:42:20
    Bike : 2:12:31 - 46 Miles
    Run : 1:29:49 - 9.78 Miles

2011-01-24 3:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    North Brunswick, NJ
    Silver member
    Subject: Weekly Summary for the group

Here are last week's totals.  Im sure the #'s will go up as the temperature does.

Total ------- SWIM ------------- BIKE ------------- RUN ------ Strength---- OTHER -----
    useridName Time TimeYards TimeMiles TimeMiles Time TimeDetails

stevepivSteven 11:56:31 0:39:421750 4:36:4967.33 0:40:004 0:30:00 5:30:00snowboarding, TI swim drills, snow shoveling 
    Northern ivyJames 3:42:20    2:12:3146 1:29:499.78     
    mat13palMat 0              
    jamesjongJames 0              
    AnimalcrackersJules 0              
    TriTogaSteve 0              
    Sooner  0              
    Muskwa2Maureen 7:29:15 1:55:002353 3:16:1521.2 1:28:007.1 0:50:00   
    GrauchGrant 6:49:31 2:25:006842.5 2:02:3137.3

2:22:0011.81     
    LeftrunnerRobert 0              
    MargaritaRita 0              
    myred86Rob 4:33:00 3:10:007200 1:23:0023        
    roberto24Rob 0              
    PoolgodJustin 4:18:00    1:20:0020 1:58:0015   1:00:00Mountain biking
    simonewrightSimone 0              
    OspreyTriAhtleteMike 4:41:00    0:48:0014.75 0:53:003.29 1:00 2:00:00Basketball
    Totals  43:29:37              

Edited by stevepiv 2011-01-24 7:36 PM
    2011-01-24 3:26 PM
    in reply to: #3318595

User image

Veteran
    Steve, what was the reasoning you heard around it being a mistake to put aero bars on a road bike?  As this was my plan until I drop a few more pounds.

What I found in getting fitted for a tri/TT bike is that since the position is so far forward I found that my thighs and knees were hitting my core.  Could I hold the aero position sure; could I transfer the comparable watts to the pedals; not so sure.  I found that to be in a true aero position and be efficient you need to be flexible and slim.

Maybe that is just my "not there yet" justification. 
    2011-01-24 3:30 PM
    in reply to: #3318864

User image

Veteran
    Subject: RE: Weekly Summary for the group
    Its great to see everyone putting in some serious time last week; it will surely act as a motivator!  I need to get into the pool ASAP as I have been totally neglecting the swim to hopefully start on the right foot after TI training.

Grant and Steven where do you guys swim as you are in my backyard.  I am hoping to find some place nicer than the Bally's in East Brunswick.  Do any of the schools around us have open lap nights? 
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Big Steve's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 24