BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2011-04-16 7:55 AM
in reply to: #3449369

User image

This side of disorder...
Subject: RE: Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED

I'm a diver...and a newbie Triathlete...but in diving we have a saying...'There's 2 kinds of people.  People that pee in their wetsuit and people that lie about it.'   I bought a wetsuit.

jeg2011 - 2011-04-15 4:42 PM

I just paid my race entry fee for the Issaquah Tri (Sprint). Paying that fee made me so nervous, lol. Earlier in March I participated in the Seattle Rainman (Indoor/timed/outside run). But this one is the real deal.

Now I need to look into getting or renting(?) a wetsuit and maybe an open swim in before the 4th of June! (gulp and deep breath, lol).

2011-04-16 11:29 AM
in reply to: #3325249

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

Just got back from a two hour ride outside.  It's only 35 degrees, which is okay, but windy as all hell.  I was only able to manage about 32 miles in two hours.

I'm off to Boston for the weekend.  Get out there and get your workouts done!  Have a good couple days everybody!

2011-04-16 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3449907

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
nitroxjunkie - 2011-04-16 8:55 AM

I'm a diver...and a newbie Triathlete...but in diving we have a saying...'There's 2 kinds of people.  People that pee in their wetsuit and people that lie about it.'   I bought a wetsuit.

jeg2011 - 2011-04-15 4:42 PM

I just paid my race entry fee for the Issaquah Tri (Sprint). Paying that fee made me so nervous, lol. Earlier in March I participated in the Seattle Rainman (Indoor/timed/outside run). But this one is the real deal.

Now I need to look into getting or renting(?) a wetsuit and maybe an open swim in before the 4th of June! (gulp and deep breath, lol).

Thats hilarious!  I was getting my PADI cert and asked about what I was supposed to do during my dive and...................."There's 2 kinds of people.  People that pee in their wetsuit and people that lie about it." .........is EXACTLY what I got in response.  Funny stuff!  Universal diving language.

2011-04-16 4:23 PM
in reply to: #3450166

User image

NH

I did my longest run to date today - 15 miles.  Felt pretty good, but tired as expected.  I ran trying to keep my HR at 142.  It worked well other than when I went into the nasty wind.  I spiked to 155 at the same pace into the wind!  I agree with  Jonathon - it was nasty out there today.  42 degrees with gusts to 35 when I went out.  Whoever called Chicago the windy city hasn't been to New England!

2011-04-16 7:03 PM
in reply to: #3449709

User image

NH
Subject: RE: Workout Plan
perdiem - 2011-04-15 10:35 PM
DirkP - 2011-04-15 7:28 PM

tim,

I couldn't get the attachment opened.  I must not have the right software to open it.  Is this a progress chart related to the training you have done or is it a generic chart for the program? 

It is an excel version on this plan:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=262

PM me with the problem you are having opening it.

Love this.  Good to know there are other geeks around here.

2011-04-16 7:31 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I am off to work tonight.  I have a scheduled line outage to upgrade a substation and the weather is kind of atrocious.  The winds are 27 mph and gusting to 37 with a temp of 38 and wind chill of 27.  Thats a fine how do you do for guys that have to work 110 feet off the ground.  I hope we are done with this work sooner than expected because I don't do well without sleep.  (Just ask my family.)

The actual work I have to do should only last for about 3 hours but we have to wait on switching and tagging procedures.  Oh well here I go.

2011-04-16 10:10 PM
in reply to: #3449369

User image

Ellensburg, WA
I did that tri for my second ever sprint on a rainy day and the temps never got above 65. The water didn't feel cold at all, it was actually warm. It is a nice course. Good luck, there are a ton of people in that one.
2011-04-17 7:42 AM
in reply to: #3450568

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I will probably have to skip at least one of my scheduled workouts today.  After working last night until 4 AM and an abnormally busy Sunday, I am not going to have time to get both of them in, nor am I sure I could complete them on 4 hours of sleep.  If I can get one in I'll have a chance to complete the normal schedule but if not then I 'll probably drop one of my swims.

I hate missing workouts.  It makes me feel like a huge slacker even though I am on a HIM training program and don't intend to do one this season.  My longest tri is an oly and thats not until August so I have tons of time even if I was right at the oly tri training base.

Normally today would be an hour ride and a 6 mile run.  If I get one in it will be the run first because that will be a little faster.

What are everyone else's Sunday plans?  Rest or more training?

2011-04-17 8:52 AM
in reply to: #3450898

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
DirkP - 2011-04-17 8:42 AM

I will probably have to skip at least one of my scheduled workouts today.  After working last night until 4 AM and an abnormally busy Sunday, I am not going to have time to get both of them in, nor am I sure I could complete them on 4 hours of sleep.  If I can get one in I'll have a chance to complete the normal schedule but if not then I 'll probably drop one of my swims.

I hate missing workouts.  It makes me feel like a huge slacker even though I am on a HIM training program and don't intend to do one this season.  My longest tri is an oly and thats not until August so I have tons of time even if I was right at the oly tri training base.

Normally today would be an hour ride and a 6 mile run.  If I get one in it will be the run first because that will be a little faster.

I rested on Saturday so hoping to get in a long run.  Targeting 6 miles which would be my longest to date.  Looking forward to the coming week.  Changing schedule to add in a morning workout at least 3 times.

Matt

2011-04-17 12:01 PM
in reply to: #3450898

User image

NH
DirkP - 2011-04-17 8:42 AM

I hear you on missing workouts.  It drives me crazy, even though I'm supposedly doing this for fun.  The obsession part is why we (the family) decided I wold only do short course stuff this year.  Training for a 70.3 made me fanatic about not missing anything.

I've got a short run planned after yesterday long run, and a core session.  Tomorrow is the big day for me though - first outdoor ride of the year!

By the way, stay safe Dirk.  I feel like a heel complaining about a windy run after reading your work story.  The most dangerous thing I face at work is probably bad coffee!

2011-04-17 5:01 PM

User image

Veteran
24.5 mile ride today, trying to rack up some time in the saddle.  I thought I built up some bike fitness over the winter on the stationary bike in the gym but when I get out on my bike don't feel like I gained much if any.  Have my first tri 5/22 (sprint) and would like to average 18-19 mph over the 12 mile course.  Not sure I will be able to.  Worked on finding some hills, not sure if it is just my legs or what but man I don't feel like I was built to be a good biker.

Edited by gti123 2011-04-17 5:04 PM

2011-04-17 7:31 PM
in reply to: #3451318

User image

Regular
Tomahawk

I know what you mean about the bike part.  There are those that are bikers and those that own bikes.  i own a bike I did find that getting a road bike and euro bars made a big difference. 

2011-04-17 7:43 PM

User image

Regular
Tomahawk

6 days to recapture my youth.  Doing my first marathon in 24 years.  Last one I was sixteen years old.  Shooting for 4hr 38min or less, I boinked in my first one and didn't even know it at the time.  I walked a few miles during it.  I hope to not walk at all this time.  The worst part is I have to work one night 12 hrs on Thursday and like anyone who has worked nights I get real tired and real crabby.  I hope a slow day friday will recharge my batteries.  Let the count down continue! 

What I lack in body I hope to make up in mind.

2011-04-17 8:14 PM
in reply to: #3451318

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

Yeah I found out real quick a stationary bike at the YMCA doesn't even compare to riding on the road.  Especially when I own a MTB.  That thing just about put me into the ground.  I went out and bought a road bike and that made a huge difference, even if it is a box store special.

Anyway I made it out today to get my long run in, but not until I find out the kids want to go!  This meant I had a 9 and 7 year old tagging along on their bike.  1st mile wasn't so bad, by the 3rd mile my 7 year old daughter's pace was coming to almost a halt so it was really difficult to maintain a consistent pace.  On the 4th mile I was attacked by a "rabid" squirrel coming out of the tree and the kids were tired.  At this point the kids started playing on a payground while I ran a figure eight road infront of them.  After all of this I was able to run for 1hr and get in 5.53 miles.  Of course I think i was at the park for over 2 hours but only recorded the actual movement time.  This is the joy of getting in a full workout when you work 60 hours a week and have 3 kids.

2011-04-18 6:05 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

Looks like everyone is keeping busy...which is good.  I proposed to my girlfriend and she said yes.  We're excited.  She's really excited.  Man do I have her fooled!

Did my brick workout last night.  Was able to hold right under 9 min miles for about 28 minutes or so.  I'm okay with that for now.  My heart rate was a bit too high for what it was supposed to be.

We spent yesterday morning watching the boston 5k, which was won by Benjamin True in 14:07 (4:33 pace).  Jarrod shoemaker was in the top ten with a time of 14:23...moderate pace of 4:38 min/mile...he held the record and still beat it by 5 seconds this year to come in 7th.  CRAZY!

The crazy thing is that we also watched the elite invitational mile runs..the fastest male won in 4:16...not too much faster than the guy who won the 5k.

2011-04-18 8:41 AM
in reply to: #3451843

User image

Veteran
jgerbodegrant - 2011-04-18 6:05 AM

Looks like everyone is keeping busy...which is good.  I proposed to my girlfriend and she said yes.  We're excited.  She's really excited.  Man do I have her fooled!

Congratulations!

2011-04-18 10:13 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

I'm back after a bit of hiatus.  Got back from Orlando  Thursday night.  Spent Friday dealing with errands and closing on my new home.  Spent the weekend getting it ready for move-in.  But now I'm back to my normal routine more or less.

Actually missed 3 workout days in a row.  I felt like crapola, but feel good today.  Glad to be back to the normal routine.

I took the time while I was away to at least read everything that was going on.  There was a lot of good advice being given.  We are fortunate to have a bunch of folks here in the group that can offer up co-mentoring!

I submit this for your viewing pleasure.  It's a nice short swimming tutorial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZJaFbNOOEM&feature=channel

2011-04-18 10:16 AM
in reply to: #3452108

User image

Veteran
Congrats on the engagement!
2011-04-18 10:30 AM

User image

NH
jgerbodegrant - 2011-04-18 7:05 AM

Yeehaw.  Congratulations.

2011-04-18 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3452360

User image

Veteran
JeffY - 2011-04-18 10:13 AM

I'm back after a bit of hiatus.  Got back from Orlando  Thursday night.  Spent Friday dealing with errands and closing on my new home.  Spent the weekend getting it ready for move-in.  But now I'm back to my normal routine more or less.

Actually missed 3 workout days in a row.  I felt like crapola, but feel good today.  Glad to be back to the normal routine.

I took the time while I was away to at least read everything that was going on.  There was a lot of good advice being given.  We are fortunate to have a bunch of folks here in the group that can offer up co-mentoring!

Looks like I'm a Bambino Arnie...

2011-04-18 11:20 AM

User image

Upstate New York
jgerbodegrant - 2011-04-18 7:05 AM

Congratulations!  Laughing

2011-04-18 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3452360

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

Thanks all!  Now we have a wedding to plan I guess.  We're thinking of doing it next fall, so there's plenty of time to train and plan...woohooo!

JeffY - 2011-04-18 11:13 AM

Thanks Jeff...that's a great video.  And congrats on the house!

2011-04-18 12:53 PM

User image

Regular
Tomahawk
Congrats on the engagement! 
2011-04-18 1:28 PM

User image

Veteran

Coming off of an injury really sucks. I know I was only sidelined from running about 8 weeks or so but it feels like I lost a lot of ground. I just did my longest post return run of 2 miles and averaged 11:06 per mile and was sucking wind after the first. It it pretty discouraging struggling to maintain. my first mile was 10:16 second was 11:56 so that average is misleading, first mile was decent (for me) and the second horrible, had to walk part of it, how sad is that?

I am thinking about toning down the plan my doc gave me to return to running, he has me running 2 miles for a week and than bumping up to 3 for 2 weeks and 10% increase after that each week. I think I need to stay at the 2 mile level for at least 2 weeks instead of 1 to get my stamina back. Might not be the best for getting ready to race but  would help my confidence level.

What sayest thou?

On a side note my swimming seems to be improving, I still suck mind you, just not quite as bad...

97 days until my sprint.

2011-04-18 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3452934

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
perdiem - 2011-04-18 1:28 PM

Coming off of an injury really sucks. I know I was only sidelined from running about 8 weeks or so but it feels like I lost a lot of ground. I just did my longest post return run of 2 miles and averaged 11:06 per mile and was sucking wind after the first. It it pretty discouraging struggling to maintain. my first mile was 10:16 second was 11:56 so that average is misleading, first mile was decent (for me) and the second horrible, had to walk part of it, how sad is that?

I am thinking about toning down the plan my doc gave me to return to running, he has me running 2 miles for a week and than bumping up to 3 for 2 weeks and 10% increase after that each week. I think I need to stay at the 2 mile level for at least 2 weeks instead of 1 to get my stamina back. Might not be the best for getting ready to race but  would help my confidence level.

What sayest thou?

On a side note my swimming seems to be improving, I still suck mind you, just not quite as bad...

97 days until my sprint.

I've got a lot of experience with injuries (unfortunately).  First off, remind me what this injury is that sidelined you 8 weeks ago?

The last time I was sidelined, you would be amazed at how gradually I opted to return to running.  I literally started with 5 minutes every other day and maintained that for something like a month.    Depending on where your running WAS prior to injury, and what type of injury it was, the Dr.'s plan could be too much too soon.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64