BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chris' Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2011-06-01 6:39 PM
in reply to: #3434377

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: Chris' Group - Closed

I'm sure you guys must think I dropped off the planet!  So Sorry. I promise I'm paying attention. 

I swear I wrote a post the other day and I was certain I submitted it, but (insert bad words here), it is not here.  So, I will try to recreate it.

Laura, glad you’re feeling better and that you’re getting some workouts in.  I sure hope the PT folks can help you with the issues you’re having with your leg.  Let us know what they come up with. 

Arin,  sorry to hear about your grandmother.  I sure hope things don’t look too bleak for ya’ll.   And what a great tip on putting on wetsuits!  Awesome idea.  I think Doug gave you some great insight on your cramping issues.  Thanks Doug!  Tell us how the race went for you, how you feel you did, and what you ultimately decided on the nutrition front.

Cathy, at 78 degrees it’s kind of a personal preference issue on the wetsuit.  You get some added buoyancy from it, which everybody likes, but you may decide it’s too warm.  What kind of wetsuit do you have?  Full sleeve? No sleeve?  If you’re going to buy one, then think about the water temperatures of the other races you expect to be doing.  August is about the height of water temps, I think (in the northern hemisphere anyway).  That particular race would be ideal for a sleeveless suit, but if you’re going to do other races in the spring, or later in the fall, and definitely in the ocean, you may want to stick with the full sleeve version.  I did a Mother’s day sprint this year and the water was 76.  The water was  pretty brisk (I had to adapt my face), but after I got going it wasn’t bad.  I did miss the buoyancy factor though.

Best,

Chris

2011-06-01 11:11 PM

Veteran

Doug-  the triathlon I am doing is in California.  It is "in my back yard" because it is only about 10 miles away.  I looked up the triathlon you said you were doing, and it is in Michigan.  Is this correct?   

Chris-  It was nice to read your post.  Thanks for the advice on the wetsuit.  I don't own one, but am considering renting a sleeveless one.  I am just such an awkward size.  I am short, my legs are long (relative to my height) and my torso is short.  I'm not sure if the wetsuit will fit me right if I rent one.

I wanted to mention to all of you that I have been experimenting with using a foam roller I purchased at a sporting goods store.  I use it to help with muscle recovery.  The older I get the longer I have to wait for my muscles to recover.  The foam roller has helped a lot!

How is everybody doing with their training, anyway?

Cathy

2011-06-02 11:12 PM

User image

New user

Boy what a week I've had - the emotional highs and lows have been to the far extremes. The good news: I'm able to report I did my first tri! It was a great first tri - actually I think they call it a super sprint since the swim was only 1/4mile. There were only 160 signed up for the event, but it looks like only 104 completed it... so it was pretty low key. I really enjoyed talking with the other athletes.  Everyone I talked to was supportive and nice.  I brought my famous gloves, and I think we should all buy stock in the ATLAS gardening gloves now because they were a HUGE hit.  

My times were fair, considering half the run was up hill (and you all know how much I love running.) I was 4th for my age group... and no I didn't look at how many were in my age group. I'd like to think 20... but probably only 4. The water was 60 degrees and I felt truely sorry for those not in a wetsuit. I was mid pack in the swim, passed many people on the bike... but 50 people passed me on the run. SIGH.  I'm making it my effort to get that run time up.  In fact I ran a few miles today at lunch and had a 10:54 average.  progress... it all helps. 

I have another true sprint in a week... hopefully I'll be a little more emotionally ready and able to train a bit the week before this one. Everyone keep their fingers crossed I don't get the cold that is going around!

Hope everyones training is going great!!

Arin

2011-06-02 11:19 PM

User image

New user

Cathy -

tell me more about the foam roller and how it works - how long does it take and do you have to do it immediatetly after the work out, or in the evening later?

Arin

2011-06-03 12:13 AM

User image

Arin - Congrats on finishing that tri!!! It sounds like you're already figuring out ways to improve for the next one, awesome!!

Cathy - I'm also doing a tri on 8/13 in CA, any chance you're doing the Folsom Sprint Tri? When I went to PT for my knee injury they encouraged me to get a foam roller, I love that thing, I use it on my quads and IT bands after long runs, it really helps me out. Here's a nice brief article that shows some of my favorite foam roller moves

I guess I should also do an update on my training Laughing It's still going really well, I love looking at my May calendar, for the first time in I don't remember how long I actually got in at least 5 workouts a week for the entire month. I'm feeling great and finally starting to improve my times on the bike and swim. I'm going to do my 2nd swim workout of the week tomorrow, I'm realizing that I really need to step up my swim training if I'm going to be able to cover the distance! I do have to say, it's really weird to not be running as much as before, weird but fun and awesome Also, I've been such a slacker on strength training....well, this week it was less slacking and more not being able to move my upper body after 3 straight hours of really intense batting practice for my softball team....but enough excuses, I need to get back on that!

Hope everyone else is having good training experiences, keep up the good work!

-Tiffany

2011-06-03 4:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Manhattan, Ks

Hi All! Like everyone else I've been busy with training and life! I had an organized ride on May 21st. I rode the 32 mile route, very hilly, in 2hrs 7 min. Last weekend I had a 5k and came in first for my age group, 40-49. Time wasn't the best, 27.42. I'm about two weeks out from my 1st Sprint (400 ows, 13 bike, 5k run).

I have been doing my brick training and plan to continue it through next week. I'm not the best at keeping track on my training logs, times, distances etc are never accurate. Would you suggest that I continue or discontinue bricks the week leading up to the tri? If I should back off what would you suggest? I know I need to get out of the pool and into the lake but due to flooding I will be unable to practice my ows locally. I may have to make a drive this weekend to a lake that is at normal levels. I have a strong swim background but am nervous about this!

I also have a qusetion as to pre race nutrition. Specifically the day/night before. What do you guys eat? My sons grew up racing Motocross and always did the carbo load the night before. Should I follow that path?

Thanks for your input and I hope everyone has a great weekend! Wendy/Motoxmom1

2011-06-03 7:56 PM

Veteran

It's nice to see more of you posting!

Arin- congrats on completing your first tri, and on placing in your age group.  You go girl!  Regarding the foam roller- I bought it at a sporting goods store, and it came with a video on how to use it.  I usually use it the day after the workout (I think I remember reading somewhere that you aren't supposed to use it right after a workout).  The article Tiffany posted said to use it 2-3 times/day.  I don't have the time, or the availability to do it that often.  Rolling the back is heavenly!

Tiffany- No, I'm not doing the Folsom sprint.  I am doing a sprint in Southern CA.  I look forward to a report on how you did.

Wendy- My background is in running- not in triathlons.  I always tapered off on my training for running races one to two weeks in advance (depending on the length of the race).  My 12 week triathlon training plan had me training up until 2 days before the race.  I tapered for one week, and did well in the race.  I suppose a lot of it depends on your age and your fitness level. 

Have a good weekend, everyone!

2011-06-04 4:30 PM

User image

New user

Hi all -

Thanks for the congrats on my tri!  I was surprised there were as many hard core tri people there, given the fact it was such a small event. There really were only a hand full of 'regular' joes with 'regular' bikes (ie. not tri bikes).  Since the one I'm doing next week is some sort of qualifier for USAT, I'm guessing I'll be even more in the majority.

I am going to keep my eyes out for one of the foam rollers.  My husband will love me even more... between the kids' toys and work out gear, our living room has taken on a look all its own. 

I'm progressing well with my biking. I got a few longer rides in this week, and my average is creaping up. I'm finding myself gravitating more toward the cycling and looking at possibly doing a half century or century this year. I'll definately still do my tri's I've got scheduled this year too though. I just am not sure about how much progress I'm going to make on my foot with the running this year. And, I know myself too well; I'll get frustrated and quit if I don't see gains.

Happy training!

Arin

2011-06-04 10:50 PM

Congrats Arin.... the first tri is always the one you remember....have fun at your next one also.... my first tri for the year is this next weekend....its called Tri-Jesus.... its a local event but is a nice one.....eating the night before i usually carb up....my wife makes a cold pasta salad with everything in it and it is really great and easy to take on a trip....some say 2 days before.... i have not done that....well its been go ...go ... go here.....went to 10 hr work days and 8 on Saturday so i have to have my stuff in a bag to get the work outs in before 9 pm.....makes for a long day.... i have about 2 weeks of work left and ill be laid off.....its not a bad thing..... that way i can have some time off and allot of time to do work outs......for some reason my wife doesn't see it that way.....but have gone to 7 days a week.... Fridays are going to be donated to OWS in the local pond.....maybe a ride back to town....was nice to hit the water this week .... something i really need is time in the wet suit.... i think its too tight... i always seem to have allot of trouble breathing... the suit might be too tight in the chest.... but i dont have the cash for a new one....so well make do ....glad to see all are ok.... keep up the great work and have a great weekend .

Doug
2011-06-05 10:40 AM

User image

Regular

A lot of activity this week! That’s great! 

Like Cathy, I’m a fan of the foam roller.  It seems to help me with my nighttime leg issues.  If I run too late at night (or if I haven’t run or worked out in a while), my legs get jumpy and twitchy and uncomfortable.  The roller seems to release the built up tension in my legs. 

Congratulations Arin and Wendy!  You guys rock!  Arin, sounds like you had a really good experience for your first triathlon.  That’s wonderful.  I don’t think I’ll ever forget the poor guy I saw in Dallas one time who came down to the finish line and told his cheering friends “never, ever, will I do this again.”  Clearly he didn’t have fun.   Wendy – 1st place for your age group, that’s fantastic!  And a great ride too.  A century ride is a great goal and a really high bar to set.  Good for you.

Tiffany, you’ve got a great groove going on with your workout and that is awesome.  Try to keep those batting practices in check so they don’t interfere with your triathlon training – just kidding.  The more rounded you are in your activities, the better your body handles it all.  That’s why triathlon is so great.

Okay, let’s talk about pre-race nutrition and tapering. 

Like with everything else triathlon, your nutrition isn’t something you should alter at race time.  For a sprint, you should be able to eat normally the night before.  You want something that digests well, doesn’t stir up a lot of acid, or give you any other gastronomical issues the following day.  Carbo-loading for a sprint is fun, but it’s not necessary.  That said, pasta does tend to fall into that group of foods that fits the above description.  If you have been doing full bricks (full distance bike followed by the full distance run) then what you’ve been eating in front of those should be good.  As we mentioned before, nutrition is a highly individual thing.  I’ve watched other triathletes eat the night before and know without a doubt I’d be done for the count the next day if I tried their menu. 

When we first started training for a 1/4IM we did a lot of experimenting to sort out what would work for each of us.  We ended up with similar solutions, but we had our differences. 

There are different philosophies on tapering as well.  Again, with the sprint, you probably don’t need a week of tapering prior to a race.  As Cathy noted, the older you get, the longer it takes your body to recover from a workout.  If you’ve been doing this stuff since you were twelve years old, your body has been thoroughly conditioned for a long time. If you’re an adult onset athlete (as The Penguin calls it) over 40 or so, you’re body will appreciate and perform better with a little extra time off.  How soon after a full brick can you do another?   For me (cause I’m in the over ?0 crowd), I will do one of each workout in the week of the event, making sure that I have two, sometimes three days between my last workout and the race.  I rarely do full distance workouts unless the race is a sprint or a super sprint. 

Keep up the good work and good luck to all of you competing this weekend! 

Chris

2011-06-05 11:35 AM

User image

Regular

We all want to get stronger, better, faster – hmmm, sounds like the intro for the Six Million Dollar Man.

There are innumerable articles and books on running and triathlon that have far better advice than I could ever hope to give.  Not to mention the excellent resources on the BT website.  That said, here’s just a bit of what I’ve learned from them and put into practice for myself.

The first part of our training is all about building the base; adapting and training your body to run (or bike or swim) longer than your built in “flight” reflexes  allow.  Starting out with shorter distances (or time – I run by time not distance) and gradually increasing the distances as we go, builds up our base.  But now that we’ve gotten there and we’re comfortable (for the moment) with our current distance, our attention turns to speed.  Running the same distance over and over won’t increase your speed so we have to mix it up a bit. 

One way to do this is intervals, or short sprints.  Doesn’t matter which activity, the basic premise is the same, but for simplicity’s sake I’ll talk in terms of running.  If you have a High School track handy this will give you a good measurement guide, but you can use a stop watch too.  We’ll go around the track this time.

Do your normal warm-up and post warm-up stretch.  Then run one half of the track at your normal pace. When you reach the halfway point, go all out and run the second half of the track as fast as you can.  You’re racing for the gold, here.   Then slow it down to well below your normal pace for a full lap to recover.  You may even want to walk this part.  Repeat 5-8 times or so for your complete workout.  Then do your cool down and post exercise stretching.  Replace one running workout each week with this routine and,   gradually, work your way up to full track sprints. 

On the bike think in terms of 15-20 second intervals followed by a couple minutes of easy cycling, and in the pool, do half laps, building up to full laps and so on. 

Another thing that will help with speed is the strength training.  The stronger you become, the more powerful your stride or stroke and the faster you become.  In addition, you have the added benefit of increasing your stability which reduces the amount of energy your body wastes just trying to keep you in good form.   Workouts with weights are great for strength and stability, while plyometrics increases your explosive power.  Besides what’s not to like about throwing a ten pound medicine ball at your husband?

Chris

2011-06-06 12:20 PM

User image

Regular

I've think I've settled on my training goals for the year (it's only June, I've still got half a year to go, right?).  Actually, I tend to do this in October/November for the winter and then in May/June for the summer.

It's now become too hot and humid to run outside much - it was 105 here yesterday.  This is my danger zone.  I tend to not exercise much in the summer time because of the heat  and consequently gain weight and lose my base.  I have to push myself to go to the gym (which is about 15 miles away) to work out.  This has to be almost daily to get in the training for all three events.  I'd love to have a treadmill at home, but lacking that, I think I can get out there three or four times a week until the school year starts.  So I'll continue to rebuild my base on the run, and work on my swimming.  Hopefully, they will have a well timed spinning class I can pop into.

I think I've also decided on my next events.  Sort of. I think.  With our sub-tropical climate, I just can't do any events after, say, the Mother's Day race, until it cools down in the fall.  But in Septermber, there is the Cajun Man sprint.  The only problem with that race is that it is sandwiched between two set-in-stone trips.  I'd like to do the sprint though because the next race is a 5150 series in October.  The 5150 is an Olympic distance and this one is held at a venue that I really like (Galveston). I'd really like to do the sprint as a warmup race for the Olympic.  Besides, Lafayette is such a cool town (and my cousin will let me crash at his house).

What about you all? 

Chris

2011-06-09 2:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Manhattan, Ks

I get up early and get all my training done before the heat and humidity get too unbearable. We've been avaeraging about 70% + humidity for the past couple of weeks. Today it's down to 65%, woohoo!

Practiced ows this past weekend. 1st time was more about getting comfortable in the murky water than getting in a good workout. I did practice sighting and found a rythym that seems comfortable to be, backwards by most peoples description though. It seems more natural for me to take my breath to the side then pivot my head forward.

My big problem right now is giving up my music on my runs! I'd rather hang myself than not have the music. I can't keep a good pace without it. I'm either too slow or too fast. I can't stand to hear myself breathing heavy etc......... Anybody have any advice???

Almost there, June 18th is my big day!

2011-06-09 8:07 PM

User image

Hi All - Training has been going really well. Starting to increase my swimming to 3x a week, it's crazy how tired I am after swim training! I just got the Total Immersion videos from my local public library (I had to wait for someone else to return them) so hopefully that will help me improve. I also stopped by this amazing sporting goods store that we have in SF (Sports Basement) they have 3 locations and I hadn't been to this one yet. The entire 5th floor is dedicated to tri gear, AND, they let you rent wetsuits there, you get to rent them for a month at a time for $50, then, when you decide to buy one, you get full credit for up to 3 rentals (so up to $150 off the cost of your new wetsuit). So it looks like I've solved my wetsuit problem, it was also fun to talk with people at the store about trying my first tri. They were all super helpful and nice (and not at all intimidating like I expected).

Wendy - I used to live and die by my playlists, I'm a punk/hardcore music fiend, but I haven't run with headphones since January of this year and I actually love it now. I've found that once I got used to it, I actually run better without them because I'm not zoning out into the music and ignoring my body. My strategy is to focus on my breathing, I try to work at keeping it deep and even while I'm maintaining my pace. I try to use mindfulness techniques while I'm running now, so in addition to focusing on my breathing, I try to notice and appreciate my surroundings (birds, blue sky, flowers, etc). I realize now that I've become one of those weird people who is relaxed by running, but it makes it so awesome! That said, I think I'd have a hard time being mindful with 70% humidity!!!!

2011-06-09 10:28 PM

Veteran

Hello All,

It has been unseasonably cool where I live, and I am thankful.  In a few weeks it will get hot, with temperatures over 100- sometimes for day on end.  I have to run early in the morning then, or run on what I refer to as the "dreadmill".  I can cycle and swim in the evening after dinner.  I don't have the humidity to deal with.  Chris- I lived in Houston TX for two years, 22 years ago.  Talk about hot and humid!  It was 95 degrees, 95% humidity 24 hours a day!

Wendy- I have been a runner for over 30 years, and have run both with and without music.  I have come to the conclusion that I prefer to run with music.  I read an article in Runner's World magazine regarding people being either an "associative" runner, or a disassociative" runner.  One kind of runner prefers peace and quiet while running, and the other prefers to occupy the mind with music.  Even though I regularly use music on my training runs, I never miss listening to it during a race.  There is usually so much activity and excitement that I forget about listening to music. 

Tiffany- it sounds like you're going great guns with your training.  Good luck on race day. 

I continue to train for my sprint triathlon in August.  The running and cycling come easy.  The swimming is another thing.  It just seems like such a hassle.  I do enjoy it once I get in the water and start doing it.  Maybe I need a change of pace- I don't know.  Any suggestions?

2011-06-11 7:40 PM

hi all....good to see all are going....here it has been a ruff week......monday started out well.....50% of the workout was done in prep for the tri on Saturday.....got home and both my wife and daughter was sick.....bad sick...on the couch and chair for the day in easy reach of the toliet........me feeling great.....ate and went to bed.....awaken at 2 am with my stomach doing flips.....at 3 am it started and lasted until about 10 am.......and then i was on the couch for 2 days.......thuresday came... went to do a run and get into the pool for the 400m swim test for slotting into the tri on Saturday......got on the treadmill and ran 3 miles at a 9:05 pace....with ease and was not breathing heavy......this was fantastic.... i have problems running a 9:30 let alone anything faster.......so it was great......went to the pool....storm moved in and was not allowed to swim....went home....Friday...went to work...in great mood....race comming up and i was going to be off on Saturday.....i was a happy camper......work is over went to get in the pool for the test.....swam....6:57 for 400m......this is a minute faster than it was 4 months ago.... and i was not pressing.....i was looking forward to this race...i saw a PR written all over this...i was getting excited.....went to pick up the packet....and left for home..... got home....my wife was on the phone....with my youngest son....his wife Allison....is in labor.....in St. Louis......2 1/2 hours away........she had a boy.....Elijia....6 lb 11 oz ...19 in long.......and yes i missed the tri........depressed about missing the tri.... and yes i know there are others....but not another that all the local club will be at......yes if i would have missed the birth my wife and son would have killed me..... but it is at this point i need some validation to my troubles.... i need a race......and yes next week somewhere in the midwest there is a race.....and yes im looking......just need someones shoulder to cry on .... thanks all.....when it come to the running..... i dont run outside with music on.....to distracting....now ....inside i will run with a ipod......and i listen to the USMC cadence calling......i have it so i can run for about 2 hrs......sometimes when i run outside i call the cadence...... people remember me as the screamer....others who have been in the Corps come up and thank me for giving them insperation.....so alot of different ways to run......just make sure its safe that is alll......hate to miss anyone here because of a lapse .....caio

2011-06-11 8:27 PM

User image

Regular

I never ran with music until this year.  This may sound weird, but I really only like it during warm up and cool down periods.  I think part of that is the fact that my house can occasionally be a really loud zoo and I like to escape to the peace and quiet (I frequently drive in my car with no radio/cd/whatever).   The quiet time is addicting.  As far as running to a pace, Wendy, I know this sounds absurd, but have you tried counting?   I find I do it without realizing it for both swimming and running.  Doing a four-step count in your head may help you pace yourself.  I do think Cathy is right about running in the race though.  There is a lot going on, folks chatting while they run together, the volunteers cheering you on and sometimes musicians.  You’ll do fine and I bet you won’t even miss your playlist.  Good luck on your race!

It’s just crazy how swimming tires you out so much more than any other sport.  I’ve read that that is why they put swimming at the beginning of triathlons.  They figure they can save on drownings if you don't go into it already tired from the bike and run. Wink  I sight the same way, Wendy, picking up a bit after a breath. I don't think there's a right or wrong way to do it, just the way that works best for you.  Tiffany, I think you’ll like the total immersion method.  It seems to take some of the work out of swimming.  You can go farther with less energy.  Cathy, I feel the same way about swim training.  It’s a pain to get to the gym, and you have to set aside such a big chunk of time to allow for the commute, changing, showering swimming, and so on.   It is enjoyable once in the water though.  Maybe thinking less about the hassle and more about the actual swimming part would help for both of us. Interestingly, when we go to the lake for OWS, I think of that as more of an outing for fun – although that’s when we do our long swims.  By the way, Cathy, you must be psychic, because I do, in fact, live in Houston. 

Doug – so sorry about your news on the job front.   Hope you’re able to find something new soon so you can feed your triathlon habit!  You've been a great help on the forum and we all appreciate your insight so I hope you stick with us! 

Good luck to Doug and Wendy on your races and let us know how you did.

Best,

Chris

2011-06-12 12:17 AM

User image

New user

Hi All -

Sorry, I've dropped off the planet this week. I had a fairly productive week though. I have switched some of my lunches around - 30 min some days and 1:30 others. This gives me a longer time to get a ride in (or work out in general). I ran M and Tue... made myself. I think I may have agrivated my knee though because on my Thursday 21 mile bike, my knee started barking at me. I took Friday off and had my second tri today.

Overall my tri went well - I kept my same pace for my swim - although this time it was a 1/2mi swim. Again, about mid pack. Then the bike I managed to pass quite a few people. I had a very relaxed, and fun, swim and bike.... then I got to the RUN. Darnet if I didn't get passed by half the people... again. Frustrating, but I'm taking it all in stride. I shaved 2 minutes from my run from 36 to 34 minutes.  If I keep improving each tri, I'll be golden. (and this is my goal). I really had a talk with myself this morning on my way to my tri. Even though I am oober competitive, I know I don't have the time with my life to really be in the top of the tops. I need to be okay with this and just keep going for PR's.

As far as plans Chris? My plan at this point is to get 1-2 more sprints in. I am going to see how the next 6 weeks go, but I'm contemplating trying for an Olympic in September. We will see how my foot holds up with longer runs.

I can't imagine training or racing in that kind of humidity that some of you are describing. I live in Eastern Washington, which is a desert and gets 95-100 in the summer. BUT, we have essentially no humidity.  That stuff will kill ya!

Doug - that just plain sucks. Sorry. I know how much of a bummer it can be to miss out on something you work hard toward.  But, ya, you probably would have been in a heap-o-trouble if you had gone through with the tri!!

As far as running with or without head phones??  I find it easier with, but that is just so I can try and drowned out the little men on my shoulders reminding me that every stride sucks.  I think I ought to see a hypnotist to see if they can make me like running.  At any rate, I'm not seasoned enough to give much input.

Something kind of fun - the surgeon who did my rotator cuff repair this winter competed in the triathlon too and got to see someone put a worked on shoulder to good use.

happy training!

arin

2011-06-12 9:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Manhattan, Ks

Thank you for all the advice running with/without music. I'm not going to make any changes this close to my 1st tri. I have done 5k's without it so I should be ok. I did sign up for a distance running group (they help you graduate from 5k to 10k) in July so my plan is to loose it when I start with the group.

It's sounds like everyone is doing great! Doug I'm not sure where you live but you mentioned the midwest. The Topeka Tinman Triatlon is this coming Sat. the 18th. The sprint is 400 ows, 13 mile cycle, 5k run.

Taper week seems odd. I feel like I should be out working hard. I guess the thought is that my body will be raring to go on Saturday?!? I had a ride planned for this morning and an ows swim for this evening, nothing too strenuous. If the rain doesn't move out I'll have to go to the indoor pool and maybe a fake bike at the gym. Have a great week all!

2011-06-12 10:55 AM

User image

Regular

Doug, I think we must have posted nearly simultaneously although the time stamps don’t indicate it.  I was writing last night and referring back to the posts and never saw yours until this morning!  So sorry about missing your tri, but congratulations on your new grandchild!  Certainly glad you and your family have recovered from the stomach bug.  Your hard work in training will pay off soon, I’m sure of it.  Have you been looking for tri’s on trifind.com or active.com?   I love the idea of the USMC cadence (that’s just too funny).   My husband would probably divorce me if I used it – I wonder if I could use the US Army song instead.  Doug, if you’re a Marine (or former Marine),my thanks to you for your service and your family for their sacrifices.

Arin, congratulations on your tri!  This is your second one, right?  Competitive is good – it helps you push yourself a little more.  Two minutes is a lot of time to slice off of a run, great job!  New PRs are great motivators.  Looking forward, an Olympic in September is not undoable, so long as you are building up your run at a reasonable rate.  The swim is a mile long for an Oly and that intimidates people – it’s only two tenths shorter than the HIM swim!  But it sounds like you’re pretty comfortable in the water. 

Wendy, you’ll do fine.  It does seem odd to relax a little just before a race.  But your body will sure tell the difference when you get out there.  Good luck!

For all, just for grins, give us an idea about the mileage your doing on your runs and bikes per week, and if you’re doing any non-mileage type workouts and what they entail.

Best,

Chris

2011-06-12 10:49 PM

User image

New user

Hi Chris -

I think you are right - I think an Olympic is within reach to train for - I'm almost there anyway. I am NOT going to go for time on it, simply to finish. But, that is what I told myself about my sprints ("I just want to finish...") Then reality hits for me and I always push.

Here's a run down of where I'm at now with training.

Run - I can run 4 miles now, but that wouldn't be after a swim and a bike.

Bike - I get a 20 to 25 mile ride in a few times a week now.  I was doing 13-15 miles 3 times, but since switching around my lunches to take a longer ride in.

Swim - I just go swim every once in a while to stay somewhat active with it. I go about once a week. But, oddly enough, during the tri's or practice swims with a friend, I have no problem going quite a while. I'm not the fastest, but keep a steady pace. I think I could easily swim a mile right now, just not fast.

Misc. - I try to get to the gym once a week for some strength training. I am planning on upping this the next month.

Arin

2011-06-13 9:03 PM

Thanks Chris.....15 years Navy.....last 4 years i was attached to a USMC SpecOps group dealing with anti-terroism....that is when i found out the Corps was better suited for me.... a little late.... but better than never....had alot of fun and delt with both Navy and Corps Special Warfare personell......really didnt consider myself a type A personality until the last year or so .... but i guess we have to be to do all this trainning on our own......all my trainning this time is taken from a book called Start to Finish Ironman Trainning.....24 weeks to a endurance triathalon......since i am planning an ironman in Nov. of 2012...... i took the 24 weeks and made it 48 by doing the weeks twice......i started the regimen in dec of last year hand have been working on it.....going by a "cookie cutter" plan is ok but i have taken it and mde some changes to it that fit me

Monday....pool work.....3200 - 4500 yds.......weight lifting....45 to 1 hr
Tuesday....run/bike......run 1/2 mi intervults/440 rest...ideal time for 1/2 is 4 to 4:15..currently running 3 int....increasing to 5 this week.......bike....CTS dvd....time trial/climbing/sprinting or race simulation
Wednesday....pool/weights....arobic workout
Thuresday.....brick workout with club......bike then run.....13mi or 20 mi......3 mi runs
Friday....was a rest day....now OWS
Saturday.....long bike.....35 plus and increasing every week
Sunday ...long run....this weekend is 16 mi and will not go any further this year .... but will increase pace as the summer progresses

somewhere in there i eat, sleep, work 58 hrs a week and try to interact with friends and family......and currently am remodeling my upstairs bathroom....and keep my wife happy.....all sounds impossible and some days it damn nears kills me....but i wouldnt trade it for the world......i feel i am in better shape than i was in the service....

hope this finds all in good health and racing hard......improvise,overcome, adapt
2011-06-14 10:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Manhattan, Ks

My legs are driving me nuts! Since I was young I've had mild Restless Leg Syndrome. It usually only kicks in if I'm extremely tired at which point I have an overwhelming need to stretch my legs. I think this taper week has flared it up for some reason. Maybe the lack of excerise? The last two nights I can't stretch them enough and I'm not tired. I hope this means to will be ready to expend all this pent up energy come Saturday morning!

I have practiced my transitions over and over. I feel confident and it is fairly simple as I'm wearing a tri suit and have opted to ride in my running shoes as opposed to switching. It's supposed to be in the mid 90's Saturday and it warms up quickly here in the morning. I got a neck cooler to put on for the run hoping it will cool me down and lower my heart rate a bit.

Chris, Thank you for all your advice! I have read and re-read all your posts. I'm excited and nervous, but know that I WILL finish!

2011-06-15 12:00 AM

User image

New user

Doug - you are a machine! Holy cow!

Moximom - I have the exact same problem when I go from excercising a ton to none. I can't sleep, not tired, and my legs just make me want to climb the WALL!  I haven't found much that makes it feel better when it does happen. If you do find something, please let me know!  I wish you all the luck with your tri this weekend!! I'm sure you will do great.

I'm having knee issues. A slight soar spot under the cap of my knee.  I'm really taking it easy this week.  but I do have a question for all you runners. To get my run time up should I:

A - run really fast (for me) short distances and gradually increase these distances at the fast pace. or

B - keep working at my slow jog and keep increaseing my base to 6 miles for the Olympic. Then, start after my slow base is established, increase my speed.

Arin

2011-06-15 7:14 PM

User image

Congrats to all of our finishers so far, so inspiring!

I'm in a recovery week this week, so my mileage is a bit lower, but here's my planned/completed mileage now:

Monday: Shorter swim (This week = 600yd, next week will be 900yd)

Tuesday: Day Off (unless my work is crazy stressful, then I do a post-work run for sanity, like my 5k I did last night)

Wednesday: Medium Swim (This week = 650 yd, next week 1200yd)

Thursday: Run (4miles - hills)

Friday: Long Swim (This week 950yd, next week 1500yd) and Medium Bike (6mi, next week 8mi)

Saturday: Day off

Sunday: Brick - Long Bike (this week 13mi, next week 14)  Run (this week 2.5mi, next week 3mi)

I am still really loving my training. It feels weird to be swimming more than I run, but it's cool. Summer schedule at the pool just started so it's been a bit harder to find a lane, but not too bad. I also seem to have broken through a speed plateau with my running, I ran 5k last night with an 8.38 pace, which is really phenomenal for me.

Doug- Congrats on the grandkid, I can't imagine how hard it would be to not be able to do my race that I had trained for and it not being due to my own sickness/injury. I feel like I'd be chomping at the bit! Your training is awesome!

Tri_Trying: I'm not sure how often you're running each week, but I've had the best results with increasing distance and speed (without hurting myself) by 1.) being sure to not increase my mileage by more than 10% each week. I usually keep my weekday runs a consistent distance and then I do my increase on my long run (adding a mile each week, though if you're running lower distances, 1/2 mile increases are fine too). However, I incorporate interval training into at least one of my weekday runs, so for a 3 mile run, I would start at my slower/typical pace for 1/2-1mile, then for the next mile-mile and a half I will do sprint/recovery intervals where I sprint for around 20 secs and then run slower/recover for about 40 seconds. Then I run at my usual pace for the final 1/2mile - mile. Also, if your route doesn't already have hills, incorporating a hill or two into one of your training runs can make a huge difference in your speed/endurance.

Depending on how much time you have, once you've reached your goal distance on your long run or maybe 1 mile beyond it, you can begin to incorporate your goal pace in to your last mile/2miles. 

Hope everyone has a great week! Can't wait to read up on how everyone is doing.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chris' Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 10