General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR Zones: 220-Age - the TRUTH! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2005-12-02 8:21 AM
in reply to: #296879

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Subject: RE: HR Zones: 220-Age - the TRUTH!
How old are you? There really is no HR that is too high unless of course you see spurts in the upper 220s and higher. I have seen LTs as high as 210-215. Some pro cyclists can push 200+ for hours. And then go to 215 on a sprint at the end of those long rides.

Your aerobic HR (Zone 2) is somewhere around 168-172 - and that is where I would focus on doing your long aerobic runs. So, yes your HR will remain about 20-25 beats per minute lower than the 192 you recorded in your LT test. You will know right away if this is the wrong LT - but once you test again next month, you have more info.

Your second question is a bit more complex for me to answer on this message board but in short, as you become more trained your LT will come down, and you will be more fit and go faster at lower heart rates. That is the effect of training on the body (in general).

2005-12-03 11:42 AM
in reply to: #296671

User image

Central California
Mike--

Thanks for the suggestion regarding average HR on my old monitor. I'm going to do a TT this morning and use my current device. I'm certainly open to any "deals" or suggestions that you could give me regarding a more functional HR monitor to purchase later on.

Thanks,

Mike
2005-12-08 9:19 AM
in reply to: #237705

User image

Seattle
Mike,

this has been a great thread to read. However, how much emphasis should I place in working with zones. I am currently 28 and after 8 year of service in the Army, I have taken a 2 year vacation from morning PT sessions and working out! the army has never been big into training zones and monitoring HR etc. Most of my past training seemed to have been based on volume, pushing us to our limits, running farther in the same amount of time as the weeks progress. So as someone who has fallen off the "in shape" bandwagon, should i be more concerned with volume for the first few months before attempting to work into different zones based on my HR.
2005-12-08 9:30 AM
in reply to: #301671

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Jason - we are all different and we all come from different backgrounds etc. You point is valid - and when I am out of shape, I usually skip the HRM for a few weeks, and then after about 3-4 weeks of just training I strap it back on BUT I still throw it on 1x per week just to see where I am. Using the HRM will prevent you from over training and using your HR as a guideline will get you in shape much quicker as you will avoid the pitfalls associated with over training, injury etc.

Volume is important, but you have 3 sports to train for now so there is plenty of work to do on technique, strength, core, endurance, stretching etc.

PS - thanks for serving.

Semper Fi
2005-12-08 10:13 AM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
everyone MUST read this book before adding anymore "facts" to this thread.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001OOTYS/qid=1134058242/sr=8-2/r...

please. read this book. learn to read and understand what scientific studies are vs. convetional wisdom. The guy who "invented the 220-age never intended it to be the formula for all athletes! IN fact, he just made that up based on data from other studies, he disn;t even do a controlled study on it himself. He is baffled and amused at "his theory's" acceptance among so many people.
2005-12-08 10:22 AM
in reply to: #301750

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Is this the story about how he averaged HRs at birth? I have heard about this...and he ended up with 220 average?

2005-12-08 10:28 AM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
no. he looked at the max heart rates of a bunch of diff guys who were being tested for other things. And for fun, he got out some graph paper nad plotted their ages and MHR. and for some tiny number of people, all men, all already in fantastic shape, all already being studied as examples, it just so happened that their MHR actually did = 220 - age at ages 20, 30, and 40...or something close, you shoudl read teh book, I am notriously poor at remembering details. But the point was, there was no study and the extrapolations made from the graph paper are so false, and became perpetuated due to marketing and companies like Polar and others like the people who make those lamintated posters for gyms...

Really, Mike, you need to read this book! I am happy to report that it confirms everyhting you have ever said on BT, and refutes NOTHING! So you need to read it!
2005-12-08 10:30 AM
in reply to: #301773

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Ok - I'll order it! Thanks! And its ok if it refutes what I say, I don't know everything. I know about 1/2 of 1%. When I know 1%, I'll be prettty smart! I have a long way to go just yet though.
2005-12-11 7:05 PM

User image

Montvale, NJ
Hi Mike,

Wow - totally forgot to check back here since my last post! And, now, I've completely forgotten what my question was, but I'm prepared with a new one!

Recently, I've been reading Jack Daniels' Running Formula book, and I've been playing with his formulas. I never got around to doing your LT test, but I've computed my "VDOT" which is 46 and gives me an E pace of around 9:14 and a T pace of 7:05 (I forget the exact numbers and I don't have the book in front of me).

I haven't finished reading the section on this (nor have I digested what he wrote at this point), but I'm intrigued that he doesn't directly discuss HR, but rather pace. Obviously, they are related.

What I do understand is that the E pace is the easy run / long run pace (for base building). T pace is the lactate threshold pace, i.e. that should be the pace at which I reach the LT heart rate you are referring to. (There is also an M pace (marathon pace) which I think is 20 seconds faster than the E pace.)

I'm curious as to your thoughts on Daniels' formula? Do you have any experience with it, and if so, how well does it relate to your findings? It sounds like you guys are saying the same thing, just with different units...

Thanks!

/greg (getting ready to start training for the NJ Marathon...)
2005-12-11 8:29 PM
in reply to: #303399

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Dr. Daniels is one of the foremost authorities on run/endurance training, no question. I believe VDOT refers to your Vo2 and thus he has used a formula to calculate training efforts based on pace and not HR. I think if it works for someone it's great. I have used this in the past and I will probably use it again in the future. From what I have seen, it works fine.

For beginners, it's critical that they train at the right HR so they don't OVER DO it, and avoid injury. For most seasoned athletes, I think Daniels' formula works a little better. Just my opinion. :-)
2006-01-08 8:08 PM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

BUMP!

I thought this is as good a time as any to bring this back to the top since so many of us are starting on a training plan and probably got HRMs for Christmas.  I've got a bike LT test in my very near future and a run test when I get enough mileage back under my legs after a stress fracture. 

Thanks again to Mike Ricci for providing a ton of expert advice for FREE!

Tom

2006-01-25 2:27 AM

User image

mikericci - 2005-08-30 4:55 PM How many of you triathletes out there are using this formula? Put up your hand and admit it - I can't see you through cyber space :-) If I read one more message that says the athlete is using this formula, I am going off the DEEP END! People, this is not correct. It may work, but chances are very slim it will work for you. Of course the 15 people that it works for will post that it does work - but my point is that for the MAJORITY, this formula of 220-AGE = MAX Heart Rate - DOES NOT WORK! Your best bet is to get some lab testing done to find out your Lactate Threshold. If you don't have access to a lab for whatever reason (location or $) don't fret. We have 'field' tests that you can do and the only thing you need is you, your Heart Rate Monitor and some 3 D's: Desire, Determination, and Discipline. Field test for bike and run: Determining Bike Training Zones In biking we want to know our heart rate training zones. To make this as easy as possible, we will use a standard 30 minute TT. From this TT we will be able to determine the correct training zones. I do advocate doing both an inside and outside LT tests. Bike test protocol for inside testing: The warm-up is 15 minutes of cycling, moving through the different gears, always keeping the cadence above 90 RPMS. Do a few short sprints to get your heart rate up and ready for the test! You should start out in a gear that you can maintain 90 RPMS in. Make sure you remember what gear you started in. The 30 minute TT begins. At 10 minutes into the test, hit the 'Lap' button on your heart rate monitor, to get the average heart rate over the final 20 minutes of the test. The average for the final 20 minutes is your Lactate Threshold or LT. You should finish knowing you gave it everything you had. 15 minutes easy cool down. Example: Johnny has an average of 156 heart rate for his 30 minute bike TT. If I calculate Johnny's zones using his LT and the Training Bible zones, this is what I come up with: Zone 1 - 102-125 Zone 2 - 136-139 Zone 3 - 140-145 Zone 4 - 146- 155 Zone 5a - 156-159 Zone 5b - 160-164 Zone 5c - 165-170 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Determining Run Training Zones In running we want to know our heart rate training zones as well. To make this as easy as possible, we will use a standard 30 minute TT. From this TT we will be able to determine the correct training zones. This is best if done on a flat uninterrupted path or trail. Run test protocol: After a 15 minute warm-up of easy running, finish with a few quick 20 seconds bursts to get your heart rate in the correct training zone. The 30 minute TT begins. At 10 minutes into the test, hit the 'Lap' button on your heart rate monitor, to get the average heart rate over the final 20 minutes of the test. The average for the final 20 minutes is your Lactate Threshold or LT. You should finish knowing you gave it everything you had. 15 minutes easy cool down. Example: Johnny has an average of 156 heart rate for his 30 minute run TT. If I calculate Johnny's zones using his LT and the Training Bible zones, this is what I come up with: Zone 1 - 102-125 Zone 2 - 136-139 Zone 3 - 140-145 Zone 4 - 146- 155 Zone 5a - 156-159 Zone 5b - 160-164 Zone 5c - 165-170 IF you want to compare my method of choice to other methods you can read this: http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/heartrate.htmlIF you want to get educated on what the zones mean: http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/beinginthezone.htmlIf you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them. Train Smart, Train Right, and get fitter and faster. Isn't that the point? Peace, Mike

Mike, I like the 220 method, but in a reverse sort of way, my max heart rate is about 188. If I use the 220 method, my near fifty year old body is really like a 32 year olds.....

2006-01-31 6:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Vero Beach,Florida
Nudge.

GREAT THREAD!

Snookdude
2006-02-01 3:16 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Ok, I've been convinced that HR zone training is the way to go and I've had the VO2 test, so I know my zones.  But, I'm still confused on when to start adding in other training (speed, intervals, etc) to the base building.  When I do anything but pedal/run at a slow even pace, I jump out of zone 2.  My A race for the spring/early summer is a 1/2 IM in June.  So, my specific questions:

1.  Is it adviseable to do zone 4 training once a week or not at all until closer to the race?  I've gotten different opinions on this.

2.  Should I do speed work now, later or not at all?  If so, then what zone do you do speed work in?

3.  For zone 4 training, do you warm up and then train for as long as you can or have time for in zone 4 or do you do intervals into zone 4?

4.  How do HR zones for swimming compare to running/cycling?

5.  Why are stop signs so confusing to a large segment of the populatioin?

I know some of this has been asked before and I've read through the thread but I'm still confused.

Ernie

2006-02-01 6:33 PM
in reply to: #336625

User image

Boulder, Colorado

This will answer most of your questions:

Here is something I wrote about LSD last year. The most bang for your buck is in the High Z2 range - but you have to be able to have the 'repeatability factor' with all of this. Basically, you can train as hard as you want, as long as you can back it up! If you can't back it up the next day, you trained too hard.
http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/lsd.htm

Recently, I had the chance to listen to Dr. Tudor Bompa speak at the US Olympic Training Center at the USAT Level III Coaching Clinic -Dr Bompa is known as the Father of Periodzation and it is from his work with the the Russians that Joe Friel recreated the Periodization model that we see in the TTB. What Dr Bompa said about aerobic/anaerobic is this:

200m run: 29% aerobic, 71% anaerobic

400m run: 43% aerobic, 57% anaerobic

800m run: 66% aerobic, 34% anaerobic

1500m run: 84% aerobic, 16% anaerobic

So, Dr Bompa is saying that anything over ~600m is 'mostly' aerobic.

To work on speed - and I think you should do this 50 weeks a year - you should do pick-ups 1x per week on your runs, spin ups on the bike, and fast 25s in the pool. A good strong aerobic base is important to run faster as you make the tendons and ligaments stronger to be able to sustain the stresses of anaerobic work that comes later on, and it creates more pathways for your body to carry O2 to your muscles and to carry the waste away. Speedwork like I described above, keeps those fast firing neurons firing all the time  as the pathways stay in use. Once you are done with base, you work on strength - such as hill work and then you move into track strength and race pace speed as you get closer to your A race. Endurance, Strength, Race Speed - the three components to going faster - and there you have it. The 'secret' to training unvielded right before your eyes ;-)

Train hard (and smart), recover, repeat. :-)

You asked:
1.  Is it adviseable to do zone 4 training once a week or not at all until closer to the race?  I've gotten different opinions on this.
>>>See above

2.  Should I do speed work now, later or not at all?  If so, then what zone do you do speed work in?
>>see above

3.  For zone 4 training, do you warm up and then train for as long as you can or have time for in zone 4 or do you do intervals into zone 4?
>>>See above

4.  How do HR zones for swimming compare to running/cycling?
>>>I swim by pace no HR for swimming - pointless

5.  Why are stop signs so confusing to a large segment of the populatioin?
>>>b/c there are a lot of dumb people out there

>>>So you have a training plan or are you FBTSOYP (flying by the seat of your pants)? A plan would answer many of these questions.

I know some of this has been asked before and I've read through the thread but I'm still confused.

Ernie

2006-02-01 6:56 PM
in reply to: #336762

User image

Montvale, NJ
mikericci - 2006-02-01 6:33 PM

4. How do HR zones for swimming compare to running/cycling?

Ernie

Any idea why Ernie thinks HR for swimming is pointless? At first glance, I'd have to disagree.

Thanks,

/greg

2006-02-01 7:09 PM
in reply to: #336777

User image

Boulder, Colorado
gmarch - 2006-02-01 4:56 PM

Ernie

Any idea why Ernie thinks HR for swimming is pointless? At first glance, I'd have to disagree. Thanks, /greg

Hi Greg:

That would be me that wrote that, not Ernie. I haven't ever done a set in the pool or a race over 18 years where I wondered what my HR is. I use my RPE and test sets in the pool to determine effort in a race. How do you track HR during a race with a HRM? Even if I could see my HR on the inside of my goggle or something, if I were in a good group drafting, I wouldn't back b/c my HR was too high.

Edited by mikericci 2006-02-01 7:17 PM
2006-02-01 7:11 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Mike wrote swim by pace no HR monitor, not me.  So, I'm not sure of the reasoning but then again I've never seen any info that says to swim by HR.  I was curious as to the reason for that.

Ernie

2006-02-01 7:18 PM
in reply to: #336762

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

I don't have  a plan worked out to the day for the whole period until the race.  I have targets by week and then I plan out each week, the week before.  With kids and work, I'm not always sure what days I'm going to be able to work out.  So, I shoot for 3 x 3 on the tri events and work in weights and pilates as I have time.  After your response, I think what I'll do for the next two months is shoot for 2 zone 2 workouts and 1 speed or zone 4 workout.  Then for distance/intensity, I'll work up for 3 weeks and then cut back on the 4th week.  Then go through the cycle again.

Thanks for the input and help Mike

Ernie

2006-02-01 7:18 PM

User image

Elite
Texas

My former coach initially had me using an HRM for swimming, but only to establish a recovery heart rate between sets. So instead of using an arbitrary time I would wait until my HR went back down to a predesignated number.

Now I swim with a timed break and force myself to go whether my lungs are on fire or not. It's making me a stronger swimmer. Seems like if I practice swimming hard I'll swim hard in a race. Last season I spent a good bit of time catching my breath because I was accustomed to having leisurely breaks between sets in the pool. So I save my HRM for running. I pace my swim totally by RPE.

Edited by RGRBILL 2006-02-01 7:19 PM
2006-02-01 9:07 PM
in reply to: #336788

User image

Boulder, Colorado
ejc999 - 2006-02-01 5:18 PM

I don't have  a plan worked out to the day for the whole period until the race.  I have targets by week and then I plan out each week, the week before.  With kids and work, I'm not always sure what days I'm going to be able to work out.  So, I shoot for 3 x 3 on the tri events and work in weights and pilates as I have time.  After your response, I think what I'll do for the next two months is shoot for 2 zone 2 workouts and 1 speed or zone 4 workout.  Then for distance/intensity, I'll work up for 3 weeks and then cut back on the 4th week.  Then go through the cycle again.

Thanks for the input and help Mike

I think you can download a plan with Silver membership and at least you will workouts that have particulars such as HR zones, warm up time etc - instead of just doing what you 'think' you should - just my $0.02 :-)

Ernie

2006-02-01 11:20 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
The plans on BT are well worth the price of membership.  Go with the $75 Gold level and you get to have direct interaction with Mike to help tweak the program as necessary to work better with the rest of your life.  Money well spent IMHO. 
2006-02-02 6:08 AM

User image

Expert
North Carolina

I started a thread about something similar to this months ago........just checked the search engine and could not find. It must have been deleted. It started out with me asking how to keep your HRM strap from sliding down during your pool swims (i.e. everytime I pushed off the wall my heart rate monitor was now around my stomach). The responses ranged from....not pushing off the wall as hard to why are you wearing your HRM in the pool anyway b/c the results will be inaccurate. Some one mentioned that the water compresses your system and therefore your heart rate would be higher than your RPE.........making the results inaccurate.

I came to the conclusion that you should use RPE during swimming mainly b/c I did not want to deal with the strap issue anymore, but if you wear the HRM everyday in the pool and keep the results and the workout I would think you could come up with some useful data for yourself.

gmarch - 2006-02-01 7:56 PM

Ernie

Any idea why Ernie thinks HR for swimming is pointless? At first glance, I'd have to disagree. Thanks, /greg
2006-02-02 7:21 AM
in reply to: #336784

User image

Montvale, NJ
mikericci - 2006-02-01 7:09 PM

I haven't ever done a set in the pool or a race over 18 years where I wondered what my HR is. I use my RPE and test sets in the pool to determine effort in a race. How do you track HR during a race with a HRM? Even if I could see my HR on the inside of my goggle or something, if I were in a good group drafting, I wouldn't back b/c my HR was too high.

Hi Mike,

Yeah, for a race, I see your point, but in training, I think HR during swimming is just as important as on the bike or run. I think RPE is good if you have something to compare it with, but from personal experience, a beginner asked his/her RPE for some effort will most likely say, "Oh man, that was a 9/10" because they don't really know what a 10 is.

Case in point for me: I was running 8 minute miles and thinking that was it - I can't do any more. I read Dr. Daniels' book, and he prompted me to reassess my pace. I was able to knock more than a minute off my PR for a 3 mile run. Nothing really changed physically, but it was a mental understanding of what my potential was. Now, 4 months later, my T-pace run is 50 seconds faster than my best run before, and it is, as Daniels' says, "comfortably hard" now that I know what "hard" is. I guess what I'm saying is that I think monitoring HR in the pool can give you the information you need to know how much you have in reserve. Without that knowledge, as a beginner, I don't know how much harder I can push (except when I'm breathing more water than air!!).

I'm not sure I'm making myself clear, but hopefully you understand what I'm trying to get at.

And, as always, we all appreciate the feedback - Thanks!

/greg
2006-02-02 7:32 AM
in reply to: #337062

User image

Boulder, Colorado
gmarch - 2006-02-02 5:21 AM
mikericci - 2006-02-01 7:09 PM

I haven't ever done a set in the pool or a race over 18 years where I wondered what my HR is. I use my RPE and test sets in the pool to determine effort in a race. How do you track HR during a race with a HRM? Even if I could see my HR on the inside of my goggle or something, if I were in a good group drafting, I wouldn't back b/c my HR was too high.

Hi Mike, Yeah, for a race, I see your point, but in training, I think HR during swimming is just as important as on the bike or run. I think RPE is good if you have something to compare it with, but from personal experience, a beginner asked his/her RPE for some effort will most likely say, "Oh man, that was a 9/10" because they don't really know what a 10 is. Case in point for me: I was running 8 minute miles and thinking that was it - I can't do any more. I read Dr. Daniels' book, and he prompted me to reassess my pace. I was able to knock more than a minute off my PR for a 3 mile run. Nothing really changed physically, but it was a mental understanding of what my potential was. Now, 4 months later, my T-pace run is 50 seconds faster than my best run before, and it is, as Daniels' says, "comfortably hard" now that I know what "hard" is. I guess what I'm saying is that I think monitoring HR in the pool can give you the information you need to know how much you have in reserve. Without that knowledge, as a beginner, I don't know how much harder I can push (except when I'm breathing more water than air!!). I'm not sure I'm making myself clear, but hopefully you understand what I'm trying to get at. And, as always, we all appreciate the feedback - Thanks! /greg

Greg - I understand what you are saying 100%. I think in running this applies, b/c you can take a quick glance at your HR to see if you are pushing hard enough. Personally, I use the 'puke method': If I am close to puking, I am pretty much at my threshold.

In the pool, if you take a look at the pace clock, this would serve the same purpose - b/c it's very hard to look at your HR when swimming hard, at least without compromising your turns or streamline pushoffs. As a beginner, one should be focusing on technique in the water over pushing themselves to see how fast they are going. If I have two swimmers and one soley works on how hard they can push themselves with regard to HR, and the other works on improving technique, well I have see this thousands of times, and I can tell you that the technique focused person will improve faster 9/10 times.

Another way to test in the pool would be to do a series of swim efforts from 1,000 yards all the way down to an all out 100, 50 and 25. This way you  would know your endurance zones, and your  'all out' zones - and this will allow anyone from an experienced swimmer all the way down to a beginner know how hard are pushing it by glancing at the pace clock.

Mike

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HR Zones: 220-Age - the TRUTH! Rss Feed  

of 24