BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2012-01-09 8:05 AM
in reply to: #3978636

User image

Expert
C-bus
Subject: RE: Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - CLOSED
runnergirl7777 - 2012-01-08 8:25 PM

Hi everyone --

Sorry I was absent last week -- AWFUL week.  But, hoping this week will be better!  How about this road-block: 18 year old daughter totals car at college!  That put a HALT to my week until today. All people involved were not injured -- but her car sure was.  

Decided on a plan:

1/2 marathon training Jan/Feb/March (because more running really helps my mood)

duathlon training April/May (with a Duathlon on May 5th)

That's my starting plan.  Would like to add a couple more duathlon's and maybe a tri later in the season.

I love the running goal of 1,000 in 2012.  Making it mine!

Yipes!!!!!!  I'm glad to hear everyone's ok!  Everything else is secondary when something happens to the family. 

Sorry your car didn't make it. 

I'm amazed you had the peace of mind to set some goals!  My head would still be wrapped around what happened.  Sounds like a good plan you have!  With the 1000 miles, if your mileage isn't up there yet, remember to gradually increase it and take some time off.  That's where I think I failed.  Listen to your body--if it's telling you to take a rest day, do it!

Again, glad everyone's ok!

2012-01-09 10:38 AM
in reply to: #3978783

User image

Expert
NW NJ
exercisegirl6 - 2012-01-08 9:37 PM

Peachfor3 - 2012-01-08 4:45 PM Okay, guys.  It's time for the age-old question-what do YOU eat before you work out early in the morning?  I need new ideas....

I am awful with this too. I usually eat nothing. However, since I am starting to have longer workout sessions in the morning I am debating this same question. My usual weekend breakfast before a long run is toast and peanut butter. Hopefully we get some better suggestions.

To add on to this question what do you have for recovery after a hard workout? After weights I have a protein shake but I am looking for recovery after a long bike ride or run. Should I stick with a protein shake or have something different?

Hey guys, hope everyone had a great weekend. 

Usually I am swimming or biking on the trainer in the AM's so workouts are generally less than 1hr.  Considering I go from waking up to excercising in less than 15minutes, I generally don't eat anything and if I do it is maybe a banana.  If I have a little more time, I'll have a small cup of oatmeal, but generally i try to keep it very light and allow a few minutes for digestion.  I will eat an egg white sandwich and some coffee after my morning sessions. As far general recovery, I used to go the protien shake route, but now I usually go with a nice glass of chocolate skim milk!  Carbs+protien+deliciousness! 

2012-01-09 11:01 AM
in reply to: #3975747

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Peachfor3 - 2012-01-06 5:53 PM

Which brings me to another obstacle.  I love food.  Not in a "eat 4 cheeseburgers from McDonalds quick before someone spots me" type of way, but in a "I could spend my entire day shopping for fresh ingredients, developing some crazy complex meal, cooking it, and enjoy it with a lovely adult beverage" type of way.  I love cheese.  And wine. and chocolate.  and cookies. And good beer (not really a beer snob....really!)  I love to enjoy meals!  I hate counting calories, and discovering how much saturated fat cheese has in it, and leaving it off of my meal.....but I do it.  So my two favorite hobbies don't mesh and that is an obstacle.  Usually what I do is focus on fresh/healthy meals during training, and learning to make complex Julia Child's during off season.  Maybe I should do it the other way around so I don't gain weight during off season?!??

Shon

Wow Shon, we are cut from the same cloth!  Except I am a full blown beer snob to the 10th degree!  My main issue is not junk food, or rich foods, it is portion control.  I will grill up some nice chicken breasts and asparagus and eat enough of it for 4 people.  It is a challenge.  However, I like your thinking of gluttonus eating while you are at peak activity levels and eating concienciously during the off season.  I never thought of that!  Hmmmmmmm!!!!!   

2012-01-09 6:31 PM
in reply to: #3979779

User image

New user
mchubri - 2012-01-09 10:01 AM
Peachfor3 - 2012-01-06 5:53 PM

Which brings me to another obstacle.  I love food.  Not in a "eat 4 cheeseburgers from McDonalds quick before someone spots me" type of way, but in a "I could spend my entire day shopping for fresh ingredients, developing some crazy complex meal, cooking it, and enjoy it with a lovely adult beverage" type of way.  I love cheese.  And wine. and chocolate.  and cookies. And good beer (not really a beer snob....really!)  I love to enjoy meals!  I hate counting calories, and discovering how much saturated fat cheese has in it, and leaving it off of my meal.....but I do it.  So my two favorite hobbies don't mesh and that is an obstacle.  Usually what I do is focus on fresh/healthy meals during training, and learning to make complex Julia Child's during off season.  Maybe I should do it the other way around so I don't gain weight during off season?!??

Shon

Okay!  So when this season is all over, we'll have you over for a dinner party, complete with good beer.  I didn't want to come out and say it, but I AM a beer snob, microbrews run rampant around here, so I've had a good beer education lately.  We are always having families over, and I am used to cooking for a gang.  What the heck-everyone can join in!  Just be ready-I've got an unfinished basement, a trampoline, and a few really crazy kids who will rile up your kids until they are spinning and then send 'em home (well-fed of course) to crash.  You've been warned.

As for pre-workout, I gotta eat right away in the morning, and today went for half a banana and a spoon of peanut butter.  Does the trick, but not my favorite.  Still open for ideas!  

Wow Shon, we are cut from the same cloth!  Except I am a full blown beer snob to the 10th degree!  My main issue is not junk food, or rich foods, it is portion control.  I will grill up some nice chicken breasts and asparagus and eat enough of it for 4 people.  It is a challenge.  However, I like your thinking of gluttonus eating while you are at peak activity levels and eating concienciously during the off season.  I never thought of that!  Hmmmmmmm!!!!!   

2012-01-09 6:53 PM
in reply to: #3943430

User image

Expert
C-bus

Sorry I've been a little out of touch.  I was at my in-laws this past weekend and now I have to hustle and clean my house again because they're coming up on Wednesday! Surprised  I wish that when it was cleaned, it would stay clean, but having a dog, kids, and my mom over for a few days inbetween destroys any progress I had last week!!!  After this week, no one is visiting for a while, thank goodness!!!!!!!  I'll be able to wallow in my dust and fur-tumbleweed.

So, in talking nutrition (a topic that I'm not thoroughly well-versed in), what are your meals currently like?  Where could you improve to aid your training?  Just throwing out a topic to get you thinking... OR, if you have any favorite healthy recipes, share!

2012-01-09 7:23 PM
in reply to: #3979274

New user

Thank you for the kind words Robin.  A second later timing-wise she would have been very hurt.  We are thankful that God protected her. 

2012-01-09 8:39 PM

New user
I am planning 2012.  I have only ever particiapated in a Sprint where there was a pool.  I am debating to step outside my comfort zone and try one with a 750 m swim in a local lake.  Any comments?  I was raised in the north with clean, clear, bodies of water and in the south, most of the lakes you can not see the bottom and it does skeeve me a little. 
2012-01-09 10:45 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Katie-

I'm trying to get my husband to do the same thing.  His issue is depth, not water clarity. 

Here's a question to ask: how is the open swim set up for the race?  Do you swim parallel to the beach or is it out into the "great wide-open"?  We have a long beach here where you swim parallel in some shallow water so you can still see the bottom (800m length).  On the flip side, I also swam in water that was pitch black (not exaggerating) and deep.  (That was the HIM.) I was glad I practiced first!  See if you can do just that--practice your open swims at the location of the race.  It will certainly calm your nerves.  If you're a strong swimmer and just a water clarity issue, my gut feeling is go for it!  If it's more than that...  well...  it's up to you!  Can't wait to hear what you decide!

2012-01-10 4:05 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Time to turn the tables.  I have a question for you.  (I'll try to make this short.)

I've done the Cleveland Tri (oly distance) twice.  The charity at this race is UCP which is United Cerebral Palsy.  There are dads towing their kids in boats, behind the bike, and pushing the strollers for kids who are not little, like 10 years old or so.  It is the most inspiring race I have ever seen or participated in. 

Yesterday, I signed up for the race and created a donation page for UCP in honor of my cousin, Mark (who just turned 30).  He had a rough few months and I wanted to race in his honor and raise money because he was such a bright light in our HUGE family. To make a long story short, he ended up being life flighted to the Cleveland Clinic and died last night.  While it's sad, our family has a strong Christian faith and we know he is dancing up a storm with the angels in heaven. 

Here is my question.  I have never raised funds before (at least, not successfully).  Besides the emails, and facebook links, are there other ideas that are productive?  Help!  (I was going to alert his sisters to this cause yesterday, but I had no idea this had happened until this morning.)

2012-01-10 5:57 PM
in reply to: #3982484

Robin,

I will be doing the Ride for Missing Children for my 3rd year in May.  In order to participate in the Ride you have to raise $500 towards the cause.

I have done all the things you have mentioned Facebook, where I actually raised a ton of money, mailing letters, and sending e-mails.

SOme other things that I have done are:

I have had my husband bake his world famous chocolate chip cookies and bring them to work (he is a physical therapist) where his patients can have one for a small donation.  Of course I make up a big poster and what not to send along with him.

I have heard of people having bake sales and other things.  I work in a school so I get a a lot of contributions from co-workers. 

There are tons of things that can be done!  Let me know if you need help brainsstorming an idea!  Good luck!

Erika

2012-01-10 6:01 PM
in reply to: #3982484

Also, I am so sorry for the loss of your cousin.  But like you said, he is living it up in Heaven on streets paved in Gold with our Heavenly Father! Whats' s better than that! 

Erika

2012-01-11 7:20 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

We must all be out training hard!  Our group's been so quiet lately!  I'm fitting in my favorite spinning class tomorrow with a 5k run on the dreadmill after it.  For those of you training for your tris already, throw some of those bricks in there!  It'll be an eye opener.

Friday is my fun yoga day, but I'm having to skip that to drive up and back to Cleveland in one day (250 miles round trip).  I can always squeeze in some core at night instead. 

How's your training going?  And, don't forget-- we have a member racing this weekend!!!!!!!!!!  GO LISA!!!!!!!!!

Edited by sungirl919 2012-01-11 7:20 PM
2012-01-11 10:56 PM

User image

New user

I just signed up for the Worst Day of the Year Ride here in Portland--18 mile bike ride through the town of Portland, OR on February 12. Very excited...You even get judged on the best costume that you wear while on the bike ride so I might be going to Joann's for some crazy fabric to accessorize with. Any ideas on what sort of costume I should wear/make?

Hope you all are doing well with your training!!

Ryan

2012-01-11 11:01 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

I love the name of that race!!!!  Oooooo!  We need pics!!!!!!

Hmmmm.  Costumes, costumes...  Undecided

2012-01-12 7:53 AM
in reply to: #3985344

User image

New user
rsreeve - 2012-01-11 9:56 PM

I just signed up for the Worst Day of the Year Ride here in Portland--18 mile bike ride through the town of Portland, OR on February 12. Very excited...You even get judged on the best costume that you wear while on the bike ride so I might be going to Joann's for some crazy fabric to accessorize with. Any ideas on what sort of costume I should wear/make?

Hope you all are doing well with your training!!

Ryan

That sounds so fun!  I'm good at costumes, so I'll think about it and return.  We have an "event" here with New Belgium Brewery, and everyone dresses up like crazy.  It is so fun.  Last year we went and a girl had made her bike into a boat, but she was not coordinated enough to ride it (or maybe one too many Blue Paddles in) so she gave it to my boy who were standing there watching everyone.  Then they carried it around for the rest of the day and were the hit of the event.  During that event I saw pretty much every costume imaginable. Bananas, decks of cards, monkeys, an assortment of beer bottles, and themes like Star Wars, kids toys, kids shows, ect.  I think, if I were to be doing a race like that.....okay, it's too early to think of a good costume, but I'll come back later and see if we can come up with something!

2012-01-12 7:54 AM

User image

New user
Should have said it's a bike event....

2012-01-12 1:57 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Ok.  So this freakishly mild winter we've been having is obviously not going to cooperate.  It's "spitting" drizzle and the temps are supposed to drop.  Only 1" or so of snow tonight, but the roads won't be treated because of the rain.  This means ice.  Cleveland is to get 2-4" tonight and another 3-5" tomorrow.  Great day for a funeral.  Now, is it just my family that decides to die in the winter?  Every single funeral I attend is in Dec, Jan, Feb with yucky, cold temps and some form of miserable precipitation.  Ugh.  Just to let you know--whenever it will be--I will meet my Maker in the summer, thank you!!!! Yell

In other news, great spin class and an ok run afterwards.  I have some speed work to do!!!! Yipes!

2012-01-12 3:47 PM

User image

New user

Keller, TX
Training plan calls for a long run of 6 miles on Saturday.  We have the privilege of running the Jog for Jacey 5k as part of the 6. I'll actually run the course twice to get my 6 in. This sweet 12 year old is the niece of a young man who works with the youth at our church.  She was in a car accident on Christmas day with her family.  She broke her neck and has some paralysis.  Her school is putting this run together to raise some money to help with her medical bills.  My husband and children will be running the 1 mile fun run.  It's so great to be able to do this as a family!
2012-01-12 3:59 PM
in reply to: #3987042

User image

Expert
C-bus

What a horrible situation, but so glad you can do this with your family!  It will probably be one of your best runs!

2012-01-13 9:17 AM

New user

Oh Robin! I am so sorry for your loss.

Sorry I haven't checked in much this week I have been SO busy. Hopefully nevt week goes bak to normal again. I am planning a birthday party for my son on Saturday, he is turning 4, and then my race is Sunday.

Today I am going to pick up my race package. There is one slight problem, they are calling for snow Sunday. We don't usually get a lot of snow here and when we do the city basically shuts down - no one drives anywhere, people stay home from work, schools are closed. Hopefully we don't get too much.

I will make sure to come back and post on Sunday to let everyone know how I did. Have a nice weekend!

2012-01-13 5:11 PM

Hey Everyone!

Good luck this weekend Lisa!  

I got up this morning and enjoyed a nice swim.  I wish I loved running as much as I loved swimming.  I also wish I was as good at running as I was at swimming.  I have really cleaned up my stroke and am feeling good!  

What are everyones plans for the weekend?  My 6 year old daughter has her first gymnastics meet this weekend.  She is excited and so are we.  

We are getting bombed with snow right now so it should be interesting to see what my workouts will be.  

Well have a great Friday night everyone!

Erika

2012-01-13 6:03 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Long run planned for tomorrow 1:15 or so (7-8 miles?).  Birthday party for a neighbor in the afternoon.  Relaxing in the evening.

Long bike (1:15) on trainer Sunday after church. 

Apparently the funeral was fantastic!  Lots of people, great hymns, and instead of "Amen", everyone was saying "Aaaaye".  That was the only verbage Mark could use.  Sorry I missed it.  Thanks for letting me tell you guys about it.

Have a great weekend.  And, Go, Lisa, Go!

2012-01-13 10:19 PM
in reply to: #3988247

User image

New user
exercisegirl6 - 2012-01-13 8:17 AM

Oh Robin! I am so sorry for your loss.

Sorry I haven't checked in much this week I have been SO busy. Hopefully nevt week goes bak to normal again. I am planning a birthday party for my son on Saturday, he is turning 4, and then my race is Sunday.

Today I am going to pick up my race package. There is one slight problem, they are calling for snow Sunday. We don't usually get a lot of snow here and when we do the city basically shuts down - no one drives anywhere, people stay home from work, schools are closed. Hopefully we don't get too much.

I will make sure to come back and post on Sunday to let everyone know how I did. Have a nice weekend!

Good Luck Lisa!  By Sunday night you'll be so tired!

2012-01-13 10:25 PM
in reply to: #3989475

User image

New user

Sorry for your loss Robin, but it sounds like everyone has a great perspective on death and is handling it as well as possible!  

This weekend I'm single mom-ing it, so not a lot of workouts planned.  I have a two mile walk with the kidlets tomorrow (depending on weather) and then a swim probably sunday and maybe (hopefully) a spin monday.  Besides those minor workouts, I think we're delivering soup to some friends, hitting up a farmers market (indoor,) and watching the football game Saturday night (I live in CO, near Denver, just in case there is more than one game going on Saturday night I will be watching the Broncos game.

2012-01-14 11:40 AM

User image

New user

Well I have just completed 5 straight weeks of running-starting at 1 mile each day for 6 days a week and then increasing it by a quarter mile each week. I just did a 2.5 mile run today and am taking tomorrow off to rest. I start my Olympic Triathlon training on Monday. My hubby made a calendar for me and wrote down what I'm supposed to do each day on the calendar. I haven't been in the pool for months and I've never been a fast swimmer so we'll see how that goes. I'm so glad my hubby found a training plan for me because I'd be scratching my head as to what I'm supposed to be doing to get ready for Wildflower.

Robin, I'm sorry for your loss. It's never easy to lose someone you love.

Lisa--best wishes for your run and know that your "team" here is cheering for you.

Hope you all have a great weekend....

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12