General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2013-06-23 9:17 AM
in reply to: alove

User image

Regular
Akron
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
I finally put my money down! AW snap! I'm going to be sick to my stomach now.... ughhh. The bike crash I had yesterday made me have crazy thoughts. The good news is the bike is okay My mental side???not so sure

2013-06-25 8:02 PM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

User image

Regular
Akron
can't decide between the Galt house and Hyatt! any thoughts??? why is everyone so quiet?lol. How is everyone's training going?
2013-06-25 8:56 PM

User image

Expert
Zürich, Switzerland
Silly question maybe: is the swim 100% sure to be non-wetsuit?
From comments i understood the water temp is normally high
2013-06-25 9:09 PM
in reply to: Plissken74

User image

Veteran
Massachusetts
I would say 100%, have not heard of it ever being wetsuit legal.
2013-06-25 9:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Massachusetts
Originally posted by SEADOCHA

can't decide between the Galt house and Hyatt! any thoughts??? why is everyone so quiet?lol. How is everyone's training going?

I thought the Galt house was great. Short walk to transition. Check-in and Ironman store was right downstairs. Great energy with all the athletes coming and going.
2013-06-26 2:01 PM
in reply to: gobey007

User image

Regular
Akron
Will anyone use a swim skin? I'm thinking of purchasing one. Just curious to what you have. I'm looking at the Blue Seventy pz3tx and Tyr torque

2013-06-26 2:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
I have a TYR Torque. I love it. I wear it in all non-wetsuit swims.

My training is going well. Last week was a big week which included a 20 mile run. This week is a lighter week however my next two weeks are a couple of monsters. This thread is a little quiet considering the race is getting so close. Maybe everyone is out training!
2013-06-26 3:34 PM
in reply to: scottyr7

User image

New user
Originally posted by scottyr7

My training is going well. Last week was a big week which included a 20 mile run. This week is a lighter week however my next two weeks are a couple of monsters. This thread is a little quiet considering the race is getting so close. Maybe everyone is out training!

20 mile run already? That makes me nervous that I'm not training enough! I have yet to do more than a 14 mile run, though my plan only calls for a 3 hour long run at the peak (Fink's plan is by time instead of distance), so I guess I'm okay based on this plan. Longest ride has only been 4 hours, with another 4 hour ride (followed by 45 minute run) this weekend. Then it increases to 5, 5 1/2, then 6 on the last weekend before taper begins.

This thread has been quiet--I've been posting a lot of my questions to the Facebook page. But I would love input on the following (this is my first IM so I have a ton of questions):
1. I think I've decided that I want to wear a two-piece tri suit for the whole race, no changing. I will likely bike without socks but put socks on for the run. I usually do tris, including HIM, with no socks throughout, but when I run stand alone marathons I always wear socks. Thoughts on these things?
2. Nutrition--I know that I can stomach the nutrition provided on course, and that's what I've been training with. I know that taking in enough fluids and calories on the bike is the key to a successful run. However, people talk about a "1 hour bottle" and I just don't know what that means with my equipment. I use a Profile Design aero bottle that has two compartments--one holds 27oz and the other 17oz. I usually put Perform in the larger side and ice water in the other. I can quick fill using the bottles on course, and I'll have at least one, maybe two other 20oz bottles on the bike to start. Any ideas on how I should structure my drinking plan with this set up? (I know the aero bottle is the least aerodynamic, but I know that I do NOT drink enough unless I have a straw in my face.)
3. Lining up for the swim--the swim is my weakest event, though I've been working on it this year. My perfect swim would be a 1:15, but I know it may be a little slower than that. I am aiming for a total time on a perfect race day of 12 hours...not so perfect day 14 hours...bad day = just finish. But I am not worried about making any of the cut offs. Considering the time trial format of the swim, I'm not sure when to line up. I think I want to go to transition at 5am to do a final check on everything, which hopefully will put me in line by 5:45 - 6:00am? If they expect everyone to be in the water by 7:40 at the latest, then I think I'm okay with being in the back half of the line. I certainly do not want to stand/sit in line for 3 hours before the start. The day is long enough as it is, and sleeping the night before will likely be difficult. Thoughts on lining up for the swim?
4. Athlete dinner on Friday night--worth it or not? I know there is a mandatory race meeting immediately following that I definitely want to attend. With 3,000 athletes and their families in town, I'm thinking getting a table to eat anywhere on Friday night will be challenging, so the athlete dinner may be the easiest way to go. I will have 3-4 family members with me. Any thoughts on the dinner?

Thanks for any and all input!!
2013-06-26 6:45 PM
in reply to: rquinn23

User image

Veteran
Massachusetts
Originally posted by rquinn23

20 mile run already? That makes me nervous that I'm not training enough! I have yet to do more than a 14 mile run, though my plan only calls for a 3 hour long run at the peak (Fink's plan is by time instead of distance), so I guess I'm okay based on this plan. Longest ride has only been 4 hours, with another 4 hour ride (followed by 45 minute run) this weekend. Then it increases to 5, 5 1/2, then 6 on the last weekend before taper begins.

This thread has been quiet--I've been posting a lot of my questions to the Facebook page. But I would love input on the following (this is my first IM so I have a ton of questions):
1. I think I've decided that I want to wear a two-piece tri suit for the whole race, no changing. I will likely bike without socks but put socks on for the run. I usually do tris, including HIM, with no socks throughout, but when I run stand alone marathons I always wear socks. Thoughts on these things?
2. Nutrition--I know that I can stomach the nutrition provided on course, and that's what I've been training with. I know that taking in enough fluids and calories on the bike is the key to a successful run. However, people talk about a "1 hour bottle" and I just don't know what that means with my equipment. I use a Profile Design aero bottle that has two compartments--one holds 27oz and the other 17oz. I usually put Perform in the larger side and ice water in the other. I can quick fill using the bottles on course, and I'll have at least one, maybe two other 20oz bottles on the bike to start. Any ideas on how I should structure my drinking plan with this set up? (I know the aero bottle is the least aerodynamic, but I know that I do NOT drink enough unless I have a straw in my face.)
3. Lining up for the swim--the swim is my weakest event, though I've been working on it this year. My perfect swim would be a 1:15, but I know it may be a little slower than that. I am aiming for a total time on a perfect race day of 12 hours...not so perfect day 14 hours...bad day = just finish. But I am not worried about making any of the cut offs. Considering the time trial format of the swim, I'm not sure when to line up. I think I want to go to transition at 5am to do a final check on everything, which hopefully will put me in line by 5:45 - 6:00am? If they expect everyone to be in the water by 7:40 at the latest, then I think I'm okay with being in the back half of the line. I certainly do not want to stand/sit in line for 3 hours before the start. The day is long enough as it is, and sleeping the night before will likely be difficult. Thoughts on lining up for the swim?
4. Athlete dinner on Friday night--worth it or not? I know there is a mandatory race meeting immediately following that I definitely want to attend. With 3,000 athletes and their families in town, I'm thinking getting a table to eat anywhere on Friday night will be challenging, so the athlete dinner may be the easiest way to go. I will have 3-4 family members with me. Any thoughts on the dinner?

Thanks for any and all input!!

1) I can't answer for socks as I wear them for the bike and run

2) 1 hour bottle holds enough calories for one hour. Say you want to consumer 250 calories an hour, you pour 250 calories worth of what ever you use into a bottle and add water. Drink the whole bottle in an hour. You can make a three hour bottle by putting in three times as much mixture and drink 1/3 every hour...and so on and so forth. You will have to consume water from another source to dilute it in your tummy

I use an Aero bottle as it is the only way I keep drinking. At IMKY it will be hot, use it, the Aero police won't be there

3) The swim line gets long. I headed to transition when it opened and did my usual stuff then walked over. I didn't rush. I was pretty far back and still in the water by 7:30. If you are not worried about the cutoff no need to make the day longer.

4) I had dinner with some Beginner Triathlete friends. It was OK food. After dinner everyone showed up for the meeting and it was packed, some standing room only. My next IM I skipped the dinner and just went to the meeting.

Good luck!
2013-06-27 9:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA

Stick with the plan you are on. I have a coach who is a proponent of bigger volume, lower intensities so this was expected. It does not work well with some people, but it does with me. As long as you are on a plan, trust it and go with it

Try to answer a few questions:

1. I go sock less on the bike and am planning on putting socks in my run transition bag and putting them on then. I have ran 13.1 without socks. After that, I have no intentions of trying 26.2 without them.

2. Answered pretty well above. My plan is two bottles of Infinit. Concentrated for 3 hours each bottle. Supplement with a couple bonk breakers on course.

3. I am a MOP swimmer normally. Planning on 1:10 swim. I am going to try and get more towards the front of the line if only to avoid some of the crowd.

4. No idea! This is my first Ironman.
2013-06-27 10:50 AM

User image

Regular
Akron
I loved the IM dinner at IMLP. Not sure how this will pan out though. It was a good time, but bring your own water/drink. They didn't have enough!

2013-06-27 10:54 AM

User image

Regular
Akron

Nice thanks! I've been hearing the Torque can wear out quick. Wander if I should put the extra money into the Pro model.

20 miler so soon? hmmm. I've run 2 16's and will do a 18 this week. I've been happy with everything thus far as far as the amount of training. I have one more hard week and then a recovery week. shwew, thank the lord. Seems like I have been doing a century every wknd. Can't wait!
2013-06-27 12:05 PM

User image

New user

Stick with the plan you are on. I have a coach who is a proponent of bigger volume, lower intensities so this was expected. It does not work well with some people, but it does with me. As long as you are on a plan, trust it and go with it

Try to answer a few questions:

1. I go sock less on the bike and am planning on putting socks in my run transition bag and putting them on then. I have ran 13.1 without socks. After that, I have no intentions of trying 26.2 without them.

2. Answered pretty well above. My plan is two bottles of Infinit. Concentrated for 3 hours each bottle. Supplement with a couple bonk breakers on course.

3. I am a MOP swimmer normally. Planning on 1:10 swim. I am going to try and get more towards the front of the line if only to avoid some of the crowd.

4. No idea! This is my first Ironman.

Great, thanks for the input, and best of luck!
2013-06-27 12:08 PM
in reply to: gobey007

User image

New user
Originally posted by gobey007

1) I can't answer for socks as I wear them for the bike and run

2) 1 hour bottle holds enough calories for one hour. Say you want to consumer 250 calories an hour, you pour 250 calories worth of what ever you use into a bottle and add water. Drink the whole bottle in an hour. You can make a three hour bottle by putting in three times as much mixture and drink 1/3 every hour...and so on and so forth. You will have to consume water from another source to dilute it in your tummy

I use an Aero bottle as it is the only way I keep drinking. At IMKY it will be hot, use it, the Aero police won't be there

3) The swim line gets long. I headed to transition when it opened and did my usual stuff then walked over. I didn't rush. I was pretty far back and still in the water by 7:30. If you are not worried about the cutoff no need to make the day longer.

4) I had dinner with some Beginner Triathlete friends. It was OK food. After dinner everyone showed up for the meeting and it was packed, some standing room only. My next IM I skipped the dinner and just went to the meeting.

Good luck!

Excellent, thank you for the input! Will definitely use the aero bottle, just have to figure out the calorie thing. I have my Garmin set to beep every 5 miles to remind me to drink, but I usually end up sipping continuously. Just need to make sure I'm sipping enough! Luckily, I live in Central Florida where my long rides are HOT and humid, like Louisville will be, so I can start testing my needs in similar conditions.

Thanks again.
2013-06-27 1:59 PM

User image

Middle Georgia

IM LOU will be my 2nd IM this year, did IMTX earlier. Thus, I've been doing 100 mile bikes and 20 mile runs multiple times. That said, post IMTX I took a few weeks of to recover and just finished my first hard weeks work outs. I plan 100 miles SAT and 18 miler Sun, then 100 milers & 20 milers from here on until taper.

re: your questions:

1. Its an IM, so socks on bike & run for me. I don't usually in shorter events, but a couple minutes in T1 & T2 aren't killing you in an IM day.
2. Nutrition- Using a fuel mix, you can prepare bottles to have enough calories for one or several hours. You need to determine total caloric intake, abilty to digest such, and plan a fuel & hydration plan for the day on the bike, then have a plan for the run. I personally preload a bottle with Infinit mixed for my needs for the first few hours so I only pickup water or IM Perform for hydration, mix of gels and bonk breakers for fuel when my pockets run empty.
3. The Swim - just be mindful if you start later, then you are on the course later. Its important to consider the heat of the day. If you start an hour earlier, your banking an hour at a lower temperature w/ch might make your day easier than starting an hour later. Just another perspective. BTW, I pre-rode the course last weekend and did a 4 mile -post ride brick at noon, and it was hot, humid, and miserable. So I plan to start my day early!
4. Athlete dinner on Friday night--worth it or not? I think worth it, last minute updates and advice, something to help pump you up for race day.

Now the bike course....my ride was enlightening. There's lots of trouble to be had on the course even in the flat areas. Roads are laden with cracks, crevices, pot holes. I strongly suggest pre-riding it twice to learn it in terms of how to meter your effort, plan for hills and turns, and be aware of obstacles. That said, I see race day there being lots of bottle necks on climbs presenting blocking and draft position issues, especially early on the first loop through the out & back, and then later on the 2nd loop going to Buckner & LaGrange. Then, all day, risks of bottles in the road due to ejections from seat carriers. So alertness all day for fellow riders in addition to traffic on the 30 mile home stretch.
2013-07-01 6:39 PM
in reply to: lakeview

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
Hello fellow Louisville peeps!!

I just signed up this past Saturday. Kind of a late decision. This will be my 5th IM (2nd LOU). I'm taking a chance and attempting to do two IM's in one year (something I've always wanted to do). Also, trying more of a minimalist approach for this race.....loosely following Gale Bernhardt's 13 weeks to a 13 hour IM. Following it more for the 13 weeks than the 13 hour part....cuz, there is NO way that is gonna happen....LOL.

Anyway, just wanted to stop in and say HI. I glanced back a few pages, but haven't caught up completely. I do see a few that I recognize....Hi Chantell!! Hi Jillian!! Jillian - I'm SO excited we'll be doing LOU together again.....was that two years ago already!?!

Also, I HIGHLY recommend the IamTRI training rides. If you have a chance to get to one....DO IT. These are VERY well run. I have attended several of these now and it makes a HUGE difference come race day.

If you have any questions about the course (especially the bike) let me know, I've ridden it many, many times now. I may not be fast, but I definitely know the course (just rode it again this past Saturday).

Happy Training!!

2013-07-02 4:56 AM
in reply to: marathongirl11

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Originally posted by marathongirl11

I just signed up this past Saturday. Kind of a late decision. This will be my 5th IM (2nd LOU). I'm taking a chance and attempting to do two IM's in one year (something I've always wanted to do). Also, trying more of a minimalist approach for this race.....loosely following Gale Bernhardt's 13 weeks to a 13 hour IM. Following it more for the 13 weeks than the 13 hour part....cuz, there is NO way that is gonna happen....LOL.

Anyway, just wanted to stop in and say HI. I glanced back a few pages, but haven't caught up completely. I do see a few that I recognize....Hi Chantell!! Hi Jillian!! Jillian - I'm SO excited we'll be doing LOU together again.....was that two years ago already!?!

Also, I HIGHLY recommend the IamTRI training rides. If you have a chance to get to one....DO IT. These are VERY well run. I have attended several of these now and it makes a HUGE difference come race day.

If you have any questions about the course (especially the bike) let me know, I've ridden it many, many times now. I may not be fast, but I definitely know the course (just rode it again this past Saturday).

Happy Training!!

Hi Stacie!

So trilled to be racing with you again! 53 days to go! I can't believed its been 2 years since we did this race the first time. I didn't do an ironman last year so this is ironman #2 for me
2013-07-02 11:03 AM

User image

Regular
Akron
Originally posted by marathongirl11

Happy Training!!

Welcome to the club! Good to have you !!!

Does the bike course have shade or is it like the run?
2013-07-02 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
Yes, there is some shade. River Rd is fairly shaded, especially coming back. The out and back is shady. When you start onto the loop, there is a section of rollers, this part is pretty shaded, too. Then, there are other areas out there that have shaded sections. There are lots of open areas too, though. I guess I'd say approx 30 - 40% shade.
2013-07-02 3:17 PM

User image

Regular
Akron
I was just debating on the aero helmet if it's over 85. Maybe I will just wear it backwards
2013-07-03 4:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh

I was just debating on the aero helmet if it's over 85. Maybe I will just wear it backwards

LOL ~ that would be a sight!!

Anybody here doing Racine in a few weeks?

Edited by marathongirl11 2013-07-03 4:12 PM

2013-07-06 3:49 PM
in reply to: #4409635

User image

This is a question for anyone who has raced here before. I have a set of 60mm ffwd carbon clinchers I ride daily. Are the wind conditions harsh or would I benefit from renting a firecrest 808 with a sub9 disc? Thanks
2013-07-06 9:03 PM
in reply to: firefighterwes

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
I can't speak for those wheels specifically (never used); however, there are typically no wind conditions to worry about at this race.
2013-07-07 11:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Sure glad to hear that wind won't be a factor. The wind here in So. AZ has been killing me on my long rides.
2013-07-08 7:44 AM

User image

New user

So, serious question on the aero helmet, to wear in Louisville, or not to wear? I still have to try mine out on a 5 hour ride in the heat to make sure I am cool enough, but I've heard differing opinions on aero helmets in the hills. What do you all think?

Also, what kind of things happen "the morning after," as far as the event goes? I've heard something about getting finisher gear, picking up special needs bags, etc. I have to get on the road to head home fairly early, but didn't want to miss anything important. I know about the awards and Kona slot roll down, but I don't think I'll be that high up in age group standings to have to worry about that.

Thanks! 7 weeks, people....7 weeks!!!
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 15