BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2013-01-29 11:09 PM
in reply to: #4571585

Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open

Hi,

I would like to join as well if there is room. Total newbie to tri, but excited to get involved this year. Will post a bio in the morning. Thanks!

-Kate

2013-01-29 11:41 PM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

Thanks Joe, for the swim sessions. Much appreciated.

I have to say, I am loving this group. Lots of input from everyone and I am learning a heap already.

2013-01-30 6:08 AM
in reply to: #4600547

User image

Master
St. Louis
oriolepwr - 2013-01-29 8:50 PM

ransick - 2013-01-29 5:58 PM Dave, I have to respectfully disagree with this being for everyone "SO I think  2 runs easy (but usually progressively faster)   Then one run with hill work  (build power and speed with less injury risk)    another one with intentional speed.   (usually progressive again only starting faster.   And one long run.  (try to go easy here its just about training your body to burn it's fuel economically) " I hurt my knees last spring doing speed work and did almost all slow runs with a few tempo runs here and there and PR'd my half Mary by five minutes. I'm not saying your advice is wrong, but I would add "listen to your body" Mike[/QUOTE

You can also get hurt running slow.    But can I say that if all you are doing is running slow in training and then racing without having done speed work is a recipe for getting hurt during a race then?     Really you can get hurt running slow too.    Sure listen to your body is good advice.    But If I listened to MY body, all I would do is lay on the couch, eat doritos and drink Beer.    Cause that's all it wants to do.     Sometimes I have to tell my legs to "shut the hell up, and deal"     Then when It's race day.   My legs say "Ok Dave ya we know how this goes, just shut up and deal right?"  

But sure  If you are injured you are injured.  Then listen to it.      I will tell you that there was a period of time when I raced almost every weekend.   The ONLY time my legs were NOT complaining was Race morning since I backed it off a lil bit to be fresh on race day ,  otherwise they hurt.   If I listened to them, i would not have done anything.    So people  What Mike is saying is  Running hard is HARD on your body.   and you could get injured doing so.       What I am saying is yes this is true, however this is ALL a risk is it not?   If you have a base put in of some kind,  then run fast if you want to.  Its fun.  But you could get hurt.    Sometimes on the bike I scream down the side of a huge hill going 55 MPH  should I put on the brakes cause its safer,   Or enjoy the ride?    

But who can advocate going hard and getting hurt?  this is why the experts say to not do that.     It's a liability thing.      Surely if you have not been running,  then try to run fast  you will get hurt.   But if you HAVE,  then  "let's hurt a lil bit"  (but in a good way)

I think the trick is to learn the difference between a good pain and a bad pain. Good pain is more of a muscle soreness where they let you know you worked them hard and they just need some recovery. A deep, dull joint, tender, or ligament pain is different and needs real rest. Of course sharp pain is bad too. I've had the deep dull pain that doesn't improve overnight twice now. Once due to track intervals and once due to pool intervals. I'm more careful now.
2013-01-30 6:14 AM
in reply to: #4600695

User image

Master
St. Louis
jmholzman - 2013-01-29 10:57 PM

ransick - 2013-01-29 6:00 PM

Comments on the interval/sprint/hill are to listen to your body and you really don't need to do that much of it unless you are already fast and going for faster. Even then, be careful. Just my opinion of course.

Fast is a relative term, of course, but I'm comfortable with the distance, and my intention is to get faster at it.  My goal for the run part of the olympic tri in April was about a 7:40 pace.  I ran my tempo/race pace today for 3 miles and came in at 7:30ish/mile, and felt like I had just worked out, but good.  I do know that I will have to be careful about pushing myself harder than appropriate based on my competitive nature going into a tri with my coworkers, with whom as I said even the littlest things turn into a competition, but at the same time I feel comfortable with my plan and if that changes I'll adjust.  I do appreciate your advice though, and I'll try to listen to my body.

ransick - 2013-01-29 6:00 PM

Everyone approaches bricks differently. I do them when my plan calls for them, but you can do them more often. There is nothing wrong with throwing a 5k on to the end of a race pace ride to see how your legs are going to react. I don't see any benefit doing them after a long slow ride or any ride that involves a cool down. The benefit comes by coming into your transition area near full speed like you will be doing in a race and changing gear as fast as possible so you hit the pavement with your HR still elevated from the ride. It's a weird sensation that you need to get use to. For me, I feel like I have gumby legs and that I'm running slow, yet my first mile is often my fastest because my leg turnover is still high from cycling at 90-95 rpm. My heart rate is high too, so I use those runs to try to reign things in a little unless it's a sprint race in which I brace myself for the ensuing pain.

Good tips.  I have done bricks in prep for my previous tris, and they have certainly made a difference, but you make a very good point with regards to doing them on a race pace day as opposed to a long slow day, I'm not sure that in training for my previous tris I held to that.  When you do a brick are you running at race pace as well?  Or just enough to get your legs used to it?

I brick at or near race pace until I settle in. Then it depends where I'm at in training and how I feel. I may keep it at or near race pace, but usually I back off a bit.
2013-01-30 6:15 AM
in reply to: #4600702

User image

Master
St. Louis
kate2014 - 2013-01-29 11:09 PM

Hi,

I would like to join as well if there is room. Total newbie to tri, but excited to get involved this year. Will post a bio in the morning. Thanks!

-Kate

Welcome Kate!
2013-01-30 7:51 AM

Name:   Kate

Story:  typical story. Athletic, played 3-4 sports year round growing up. College hit and the sedentary lifestyle took over. Gained about 40ish lbs senior highschool- sophmore of college. Didn't like how I looked or felt, learned how to cook (a bit) and eat well, and lost 35 pounds over the next 2 years. Currently I am finishing my 3rd year of medical school, and will graduate with my M.D. April 2014. I live in sunny florida, so have no excuse to not get outside and train. In the past 3 years, I have started and stopped running, exercising more times than I'd care to admit. I'll get all excited, inspired, set a small 5K or 10k race goal, stick with it for a month or 2, and then that'll be it for the same amount of time (or usually more). Though school and life can get busy, I really just use that as a convenient excuse. EVERYONE is busy, many much more than I am, so I really need to make exercise a non-negotiable in my life. I am a beginning runner, have completed a few 5Ks, one 2 10Ks, and 1 15K in the past 3 years. I recently bought a road bike from a lovely BT member. I used to swim on a community swim team, but I retained 0% of the knowledge. I think I am an O.K. swimmer, but I really have no idea how my technique looks to other people

Goal for 2013:  I would really like to get into a consistent exercise habit, incorporating a lot of S/B/R, some strength training and hopefully a few tris. I would love to complete a HIM before I start residency next year. I'm excited to make this stick, and learn a lot! I'm looking at a sprint/international series of 3 triathlons at Ft. Desoto Beach in May/Aug/Sept. I don't have my school schedule past April, so once that gets settled, I will get a more concrete race plan in place.

Family...Getting Married March 2nd My fiance is a ridiculously athletic guy, who literally ran the Chicago marathon with minimal training, and he was hung over. He wants to get into a consistent exercise habit as well, so hopefully that'll help me stay motivated on the home front. I'll never be able to keep up with him, but hopefully I'll be able to run at a pace that isn't torturous for him.

Weight loss...I would like to lose 5-10 pounds and gain some muscle definition. I go in spurts where my eating is spot on, and then others where its total crap.

Looking forward to learning lots, getting to know you all, and hopefully provide some cheer and motivation along the way!

-Kate

2013-01-30 10:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Closed

Welcome Kate, Mandy, and Melody! Glad we have some girl power around here!!

I will be getting to the stats shortly...it might take a bit longer, since we have soooo many people now, which is why I closed the group.

Thank you for all the input on the name of our group...no changes!!

2013-01-30 11:01 AM
in reply to: #4591009

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

January Totals:

Swim         Bike             Run            Total Time

Dave            2000         260.00         26.36           21:00:14

Sarah           2600         221.67          33.18           19:39:37

Joe              11400        37.00          42.50           18:07:35  * Nice job this week!!!

Jax               8175         125.52         38.36           17:16:17

Mike                0               0              75.00          12:29:34  * That's a lot of time running!

Chrispy         4648          49.73          39.80           11:39:20  * Nice work!

TJ                 2000        157.28          15.56           11:17:05 

Tom              550           71.85          21.93           10:59:07 

Yvonne            0            20.72          19.89            06:21:50  *Welcome back. We missed you!

Charlie            0            35.41             8.96           04:15:42

Tom L             0                ?              16.10           04:08:04

Chris               0               0              13.72           02:01:43

Since our group has grown recently, I didn't list the people who haven't logged any of their workouts. Heads up for next week. Every Wednesday is stat day!

2013-01-30 11:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Joe -

This is in response to your question about speed workouts (specifically the run). While Dave and Mike may have differing opinions on the topic, I would venture to say that they are both correct. Overtraining, in the form of too much mileage too soon or going too fast too soon, can cause injury, and injury really sucks! The importance of listening to your body is that it's your body. No one training plan or style is perfect for everyone. What you may be safely capable of doing might be far more than what I am able to do without injuring yourself. That said, any time you change your routine or intensity, pay careful attention to what your body is telling you. The more you train, the more in tune you will be with your body, and when it is telling you to back off.

Having said that, if you really want to improve your speed, you need to do some pace work. If you can tackle the distance comfortably, at a slow pace, it is OK to start thinking about tempo and speed work. Running the mileage over and over at the same pace will make you faster, but it won't get you to your full potential.

2013-01-30 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4600928

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
kate2014 - 2013-01-30 7:51 AM

Name:   Kate

Story:  typical story. Athletic, played 3-4 sports year round growing up. College hit and the sedentary lifestyle took over. Gained about 40ish lbs senior highschool- sophmore of college. Didn't like how I looked or felt, learned how to cook (a bit) and eat well, and lost 35 pounds over the next 2 years. Currently I am finishing my 3rd year of medical school, and will graduate with my M.D. April 2014. I live in sunny florida, so have no excuse to not get outside and train. In the past 3 years, I have started and stopped running, exercising more times than I'd care to admit. I'll get all excited, inspired, set a small 5K or 10k race goal, stick with it for a month or 2, and then that'll be it for the same amount of time (or usually more). Though school and life can get busy, I really just use that as a convenient excuse. EVERYONE is busy, many much more than I am, so I really need to make exercise a non-negotiable in my life. I am a beginning runner, have completed a few 5Ks, one 2 10Ks, and 1 15K in the past 3 years. I recently bought a road bike from a lovely BT member. I used to swim on a community swim team, but I retained 0% of the knowledge. I think I am an O.K. swimmer, but I really have no idea how my technique looks to other people

Goal for 2013:  I would really like to get into a consistent exercise habit, incorporating a lot of S/B/R, some strength training and hopefully a few tris. I would love to complete a HIM before I start residency next year. I'm excited to make this stick, and learn a lot! I'm looking at a sprint/international series of 3 triathlons at Ft. Desoto Beach in May/Aug/Sept. I don't have my school schedule past April, so once that gets settled, I will get a more concrete race plan in place.

Family...Getting Married March 2nd My fiance is a ridiculously athletic guy, who literally ran the Chicago marathon with minimal training, and he was hung over. He wants to get into a consistent exercise habit as well, so hopefully that'll help me stay motivated on the home front. I'll never be able to keep up with him, but hopefully I'll be able to run at a pace that isn't torturous for him.

Weight loss...I would like to lose 5-10 pounds and gain some muscle definition. I go in spurts where my eating is spot on, and then others where its total crap.

Looking forward to learning lots, getting to know you all, and hopefully provide some cheer and motivation along the way!

-Kate

Oh Kate!! The days of med school. I miss them!! DH and I met in med school, and we had some fun!! It's great that you are already starting to work out. I waited until after residency and a couple kids, and now I wish I could go back. I think you'll find a fun, helpful, and very motivating group of people here.

2013-01-30 12:52 PM
in reply to: #4601358

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Sarah73 - 2013-01-30 9:24 AM

Having said that, if you really want to improve your speed, you need to do some pace work. If you can tackle the distance comfortably, at a slow pace, it is OK to start thinking about tempo and speed work. Running the mileage over and over at the same pace will make you faster, but it won't get you to your full potential.

That's about where I'm at.  The distance is not a problem for me.  I did the half marathon in November, and even though I've just been in maintenance mode since then running 9 miles at a slow pace is not an issue, and in April it's just a 6.2 run.  I feel like the races I've done previously I just kept running/biking at a slow pace and didn't push it enough or really at all.  I understand there's a fine line between pushing it hard and too far, so I'll watch it.  But I'm not a guy who is at the couch to 5k stage in life either.  I'm only 30, I'm fairly athletic, I've done tri's before, I did a half marathon at about an 8:20min/mile pace in November (I think I could have gone faster, I finished stronger than I started and I look forward to doing the same one again later this year), my job requires me to be in good shape so I have a good base.  I just want to maximize my performance for this specific event or type of event.  One can be a stellar athlete (I'm not, just making a point), a star on the baseball diamond or on the football field or whatever, but you have to train correctly for the specific event to reach full potential.  One of my coworkers was a starting cornerback all four years in college and if you looked at him or worked out with him you'd think that was just yesterday.  But he is built for maximum effort in a short time, and I tend to outperform him on longer endurance workouts because we've trained for different things.

I'm convinced the plan I outlined (which I started yesterday on the running side) is the best way for me to increase my speed, and I'm comfortable with it.  I will be careful though.  I understand the difference between hurt and injured and I have no desire to cross that line.  I do appreciate the concern from all. 

I am going for a bike ride today, and then hopefully Friday, and Sunday.  I have ordered the shoes and pedals, and I'm going to go ahead and order the aero bars today too I think (I'm still trying to decide between profile design t1, t3, or vision mini tt), so hopefully that will all get here early next week and I'll get more serious about the bike.  It is definitely my weak link.

2013-01-30 6:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Pink,

I left you out of the stats today. I didn't forget about you, I promise. I just didn't know if you would even be checking in over here. If you get this message I will add your stats, and promise not to leave you out again!

2013-01-30 7:12 PM
in reply to: #4601364

Sarah73 - 2013-01-30 12:27 PM

Oh Kate!! The days of med school. I miss them!! DH and I met in med school, and we had some fun!! It's great that you are already starting to work out. I waited until after residency and a couple kids, and now I wish I could go back. I think you'll find a fun, helpful, and very motivating group of people here.

Ya, med school has been pretty enjoyable all things considered. I've got some flexibility in my schedule next year, so I figured I should take advantage of it before residency!

2013-01-30 7:14 PM

So I'm training (kinda sorta) to run the Gasparilla half marathon coming up in about a month, and the long runs are still pretty new territory for me. How does one go about fueling? How often should you consume fuel, say for runs over 6 miles (or is this too short to consider fuel)? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

2013-01-30 7:45 PM
in reply to: #4602040

User image

Master
St. Louis
kate2014 - 2013-01-30 7:14 PM

So I'm training (kinda sorta) to run the Gasparilla half marathon coming up in about a month, and the long runs are still pretty new territory for me. How does one go about fueling? How often should you consume fuel, say for runs over 6 miles (or is this too short to consider fuel)? Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

I don't worry about fueling for runs up until an hour an a half as long as I eat a decent meal a couple hours before the run. I did my last half marathon on a good breakfast two hours before and a GU 10 minutes before and nothing but water on the course. I'm not recommending that approach as I think I was pushing pushing the limit, just offering a data point.
2013-01-30 7:56 PM
in reply to: #4601553

User image

Master
St. Louis
jmholzman - 2013-01-30 12:52 PM

Sarah73 - 2013-01-30 9:24 AM

That's about where I'm at.  The distance is not a problem for me.  I did the half marathon in November, and even though I've just been in maintenance mode since then running 9 miles at a slow pace is not an issue, and in April it's just a 6.2 run.  I feel like the races I've done previously I just kept running/biking at a slow pace and didn't push it enough or really at all.  I understand there's a fine line between pushing it hard and too far, so I'll watch it.  But I'm not a guy who is at the couch to 5k stage in life either.  I'm only 30, I'm fairly athletic, I've done tri's before, I did a half marathon at about an 8:20min/mile pace in November (I think I could have gone faster, I finished stronger than I started and I look forward to doing the same one again later this year), my job requires me to be in good shape so I have a good base.  I just want to maximize my performance for this specific event or type of event.  One can be a stellar athlete (I'm not, just making a point), a star on the baseball diamond or on the football field or whatever, but you have to train correctly for the specific event to reach full potential.  One of my coworkers was a starting cornerback all four years in college and if you looked at him or worked out with him you'd think that was just yesterday.  But he is built for maximum effort in a short time, and I tend to outperform him on longer endurance workouts because we've trained for different things.

I'm convinced the plan I outlined (which I started yesterday on the running side) is the best way for me to increase my speed, and I'm comfortable with it.  I will be careful though.  I understand the difference between hurt and injured and I have no desire to cross that line.  I do appreciate the concern from all. 

I am going for a bike ride today, and then hopefully Friday, and Sunday.  I have ordered the shoes and pedals, and I'm going to go ahead and order the aero bars today too I think (I'm still trying to decide between profile design t1, t3, or vision mini tt), so hopefully that will all get here early next week and I'll get more serious about the bike.  It is definitely my weak link.

Not sure if you've heard of Bart Yasso of Runner's World or of Yasso 800's but when I set my goal of PRing my half mary time by 10 minutes last year, my plan was to do Yasso 800's. Low and behold, Bart answered my twitter post and suggested twice the workout reps at half the distance at a faster pace. I published the convo here http://blog.ransick.org/2012/02/yasso-800s.html?m=0. I ended up hurt, but if I was younger or had better genes, or had a better base, maybe I would have made it. I did PR by 5 minutes, so I'm not complaining. A 10 minute PR in a half is a big goal.

2013-01-30 9:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
kate2014 - 2013-01-30 5:14 PM

I'm no expert, but similar to Mike, I generally don't worry about Gu or anything like that until a workout approaches 1.5 hours.  Sometimes before a masters swim in the morning I'll take a Gu beforehand, but that's rare.  If I'm going to do the Gu though I follow what I recall to be their guidelines of 1 Gu 15 minutes before the start of the race/exercise, and every 45 minutes once the race starts.  I do feel a difference on the longer exercises if I don't Gu.  Also, personally my body doesn't like the ones with added caffeine.

2013-01-30 9:52 PM
in reply to: #4602086

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

ransick - 2013-01-30 5:56 PM

Not sure if you've heard of Bart Yasso of Runner's World or of Yasso 800's but when I set my goal of PRing my half mary time by 10 minutes last year, my plan was to do Yasso 800's. Low and behold, Bart answered my twitter post and suggested twice the workout reps at half the distance at a faster pace. I published the convo here http://blog.ransick.org/2012/02/yasso-800s.html?m=0. I ended up hurt, but if I was younger or had better genes, or had a better base, maybe I would have made it. I did PR by 5 minutes, so I'm not complaining. A 10 minute PR in a half is a big goal.

Thanks!  That is interesting, and I am intrigued.  I may give this a shot tomorrow.  The 200 jog between 400's is a slow recovery jog?

2013-01-31 5:18 AM
in reply to: #4602210

User image

Master
St. Louis
jmholzman - 2013-01-30 9:52 PM

ransick - 2013-01-30 5:56 PM

Thanks!  That is interesting, and I am intrigued.  I may give this a shot tomorrow.  The 200 jog between 400's is a slow recovery jog?

Yes, slow recovery jog or even a walk. Slow enough to fully catch your breath.
2013-01-31 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
kate2014 - 2013-01-30 8:14 PM

Agree with the general consensus of the others.  I stick with water hydration until I get to 10+ miles and then I will use the gummy bear type of gels.  Be sure to find a routine that works for you and then stick with it on race day.  I've made the mistake of experiementing with nutrition on race day before.  Not a good idea!

Jax

2013-01-31 9:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
So much for going for rides over the next couple days.  My bike was stolen out of my garage last night.  New bike, only had (looking back at Sarah's chart) 37 miles on it.  I had spent some time last night putting the new gatorskin tire I got in the mail yesterday on it...and then when I woke up this morning the garage door was open a few feet and the bike was gone.  My wallet and keys coincidentally were literally right next to the bike and were not touched.  Awesome.

2013-01-31 11:19 AM
in reply to: #4602730

User image

Veteran

jmholzman - 2013-01-31 10:47 AM So much for going for rides over the next couple days.  My bike was stolen out of my garage last night.  New bike, only had (looking back at Sarah's chart) 37 miles on it.  I had spent some time last night putting the new gatorskin tire I got in the mail yesterday on it...and then when I woke up this morning the garage door was open a few feet and the bike was gone.  My wallet and keys coincidentally were literally right next to the bike and were not touched.  Awesome.

Man that SUCKS!!!!!!!!!   I am so sorry.  It's a terrible feeling, isn't it?  A few months ago, I was at a family 5K on Thanksgiving Day with CH and our kids.  Left our car in the official race parking area.  A "smash and grab" team shattered our window and stole my purse.  I feel for you...really...

Jax

2013-01-31 1:36 PM

Thanks for all the fueling tips guys and gals! I'll try some out in the next few weeks!

So sorry to hear about your bike, that's terrible!

Hope everyone has a good training filled weekend.

2013-01-31 1:58 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
jmholzman - 2013-01-31 9:47 AM

So much for going for rides over the next couple days.  My bike was stolen out of my garage last night.  New bike, only had (looking back at Sarah's chart) 37 miles on it.  I had spent some time last night putting the new gatorskin tire I got in the mail yesterday on it...and then when I woke up this morning the garage door was open a few feet and the bike was gone.  My wallet and keys coincidentally were literally right next to the bike and were not touched.  Awesome.

Sorry, that really sucks.
2013-01-31 3:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

jmholzman - 2013-01-31 9:47 AM So much for going for rides over the next couple days.  My bike was stolen out of my garage last night.  New bike, only had (looking back at Sarah's chart) 37 miles on it.  I had spent some time last night putting the new gatorskin tire I got in the mail yesterday on it...and then when I woke up this morning the garage door was open a few feet and the bike was gone.  My wallet and keys coincidentally were literally right next to the bike and were not touched.  Awesome.

Joe - I am so sorry to hear that. Did you file a police report? You never know, they may find it. I wish there was something we could do to cheer you up and encourage you.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  

of 30