BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 114

2013-05-22 7:41 AM
in reply to: jgerbodegrant

User image

Subject: RE: ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - OPENED

Hi Gang!   Glad I'm not the only one still learning this new site.   For some reason I'm not getting email updates any more, although I've checked the toggle button.   At first I thought you were all just quiet over the last few days, but NO, 5 pages of reading later and I'm all caught up.   Glad I was able to keep the cool stuff that I'd just learned how to do, though.  Laughing

Welcome Derek!   It's nice to have an international flavor here.  Welcome Back Allison!   And Jonathan - welcome back to the world of sight.   I wondered where you went.  It was nice to finally read your bio, Tracy.  I don't think I realized before what an awesome biker you are.  Wish you were closer so I could ride with you and learn.

Good job on all the races this weekend!  Thanks for sharing your Mudder picture, Jen and thanks for explaining why you looked so clean. 

Dina - I don't use the nutrition logs.  I'd be too scared and disgusted at myself if I tracked what I ate.    I will say that I've challenged myself to cut out night time sweets and I've been pleasantly surprised that I've been doing pretty good with that.  Still, though, I snack all day long so if I added it all up, it would look like I eat a mountain of food.  It's probably something I should track, though.

It was so good to see you at the race this weekend, Dirk!  I was hoping your swim time would've been longer this year than last because mine was.  Oh well.  In case you all didn't know, Dirk is an amazing athlete and also a great guy.  He did forget his body glide, though, so he's not infallible.  Wink

Next up I get to see Matt at Maumee Bay in a few weeks.   I WILL find you this year, Matt!  Are you just coming in for the day or are you guys camping?  I think getting in with a group to ride would do wonders for your bike fitness.  It's good to be pushed.  

Have a great weekend everyone!  I'm off to finish planting my garden before the rains come.  That's my workout for today.

2013-05-22 7:56 AM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by BigDaddyD79

Originally posted by pistuo

Tracy - sorry to hear about all the tragedy there. Praying God uses you as a light to your community!

Tony - 14 miles? You're killing me bro... I was all excited about my 9 mile run Monday...

Everyone else, thanks for all the help with my "issues." Tony, I found the arrow to go to "power" and add cadence. But I'm still trying to figure out how to go to the last post that I read in threads... this will save me a ton of time as active as our thread is. Can you further explain this:

Originally posted by strikyr

when I click into this forum I click on the last post it seems to bring me back to the last post that I read. So I am not having problems having to cycle back through all the posts.

What do you mean by "I click on the last post"?

This works for me as well if I open the mentor fourm and click on the latest post on the right hand side for this group. It usually brings me to the first post that I havent seen.

Will I think it's like Dina explained if you go to the mentor groups and you see the link on the left and the link on the right. The link on the right is the one for the last post made to the group thread. I click that and it takes me to the latest post or where I last read up to however this only works for me with google chrome as the browser. When using IE8 it will take me to the top of the page. I have a lot of trouble with things working with IE8. I am going to try and upgrade to IE9 to see if that works better. Hope that made sense and you should be happy about that 9 mile run, nice work.
2013-05-22 8:01 AM
in reply to: trigal38

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by trigal38

What does everyone think of all the changes? I'm getting used to it but the friends features need some work. Seems a lot less user friendly and sort of pushed to the side. I barely notice when I get a message or an inspire because that alert is so tiny. I don't use a lot of the other features they have been working so hard on though like nutrition, equipment etc. I don't even hook up my Garmin to download data - I just type it in.

Dina I agree I like the look and feel but man I am getting very frustrated with not having things save after the first try. I am constantly getting hung up after I enter my blog or nutrition info. Sometimes it doesn't save and I have to type it all over again. That really sucks, also the inconsistency between the features using different web browsers. I know it will take time to get this stuffed fixed and it is to be expected. It's just more time consuming for me and I don't have much time to begin with these days lol. I hope they get this worked out sooner rather than later.
2013-05-22 8:06 AM
in reply to: mambos

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by mambos

I got pulled into a group ride tonight, that ultimately kicked my a@@! I was minding my own heading out for what was supposed to be an easy ride, until I ran into a group that was headed in the same direction. They invited me to join, and I figured who am to turn down an invitation. These guys were definitely on a higher level than me, even when heading directly into the wind they were pushing the pace hard. My HR stuck up around 160 for the 10 mile ride out of town. I was able to hang on, but barely. The ride back into town was easy, well as easy as 25mph can be I guess. Best part is I found a new group to ride with on Tuesday's that will help keep me from getting too relaxed on the bike!

Matt that is awesome, riding with people that are stronger than you are will definitely make you better. It's a nice little challenge to try and hang with a group like that. The guys I ride with are much better than I am but I figure they are going to push me to be better. Plus it's cool to ride with group and have some company especially on the long rides rather than having to go solo all the time.
2013-05-22 8:08 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by jgerbodegrant

So of course the group had to go live when I could not see anything.

I told Tony to update everyone, but didn't realize the new group went live...so I'm going to struggle through typing this.

I had LASIK (yes, again) last Thursday and today is the first day I can sort of read the computer. I'm not supposed to spend a lot of time on it, so please excuse my brevity.

It looks like we have a lot of the same people back, which is great. A warm welcome to both Derek and glad to have Vero back as well.

The surgeon didn't say I could get back on the computer, but he did say I could go back to exercising today, so I'm about to hit the trainer for an hour and a half or so.

I will post a bio and all that when the words are no longer double on the screen. :-)

Jonathan apologies I was going to do that this morning after I read your email but you beat me to it.
2013-05-22 8:12 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by trigal38

Also, do any of you use the nutrition features? I never have but I've been eating too much chocolate and making cookies "for the kids" (yeah right). I thought maybe if I make myself track what I eat that would get me back on track but I can't seem to input anything. No big deal, just curious if I should keep messing around or if these features aren't working yet.

Dina I just use the comment section and type in what I ate and how many estimated calories for each meal and then the total for the day. I have not tried to mess around with actually setting this up and using the nutrition features. I have to give that a try some time and see how that works. I'm just to lazy to invest the time in doing that right now. If you decide to try that let us know how it works and if it's worth the effort.

2013-05-22 9:20 AM

User image

NH
Originally posted by mambos

I got pulled into a group ride tonight, that ultimately kicked my a@@! I was minding my own heading out for what was supposed to be an easy ride, until I ran into a group that was headed in the same direction. They invited me to join, and I figured who am to turn down an invitation. These guys were definitely on a higher level than me, even when heading directly into the wind they were pushing the pace hard. My HR stuck up around 160 for the 10 mile ride out of town. I was able to hang on, but barely. The ride back into town was easy, well as easy as 25mph can be I guess. Best part is I found a new group to ride with on Tuesday's that will help keep me from getting too relaxed on the bike!

Matt, this can be great. Group rides with cyclists a little stronger than you are an awesome way to get stronger in every way - not just in terms of pure power output but handling, confidence, varying types of efforts, etc. I'd love to hook up for some more suffer-hill-fests with the guys Jonathan rides with, but it's tough for me to get out for a weekend ride all over the place and I'm not sure they'd put up with me every week since they are so much stronger than me. But just one word of caution, or not really caution but advice.

If you are planning to add this ride to your training, just be sure to account for it as a hard effort and place it into a plan accordingly. What I mean by that is that hard training efforts have to be treated with respect and recovery planned correctly so that you get the most out of the work you're putting in. You shouldn't just pop in a super hard bike effort in the middle of a week with no thought to how it affects the rest of the week.
2013-05-22 9:41 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Originally posted by trigal38 What does everyone think of all the changes? I'm getting used to it but the friends features need some work. Seems a lot less user friendly and sort of pushed to the side. I barely notice when I get a message or an inspire because that alert is so tiny. I don't use a lot of the other features they have been working so hard on though like nutrition, equipment etc. I don't even hook up my Garmin to download data - I just type it in.

I agree, Dina.  The friends feature needs a lot of work.  I miss spying on everyone.  I may not give inspires all the time (need to work on that) but I do check on everyone.  It's much more difficult to do that now.

2013-05-22 9:43 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Originally posted by trigal38 Also, do any of you use the nutrition features? I never have but I've been eating too much chocolate and making cookies "for the kids" (yeah right). I thought maybe if I make myself track what I eat that would get me back on track but I can't seem to input anything. No big deal, just curious if I should keep messing around or if these features aren't working yet.

I haven't used the nutrition feature on BT.  I've used MyFitnessPal.com in the past when I'm helping a client with their nutrition woes.  It seems to be pretty user friendly.

2013-05-22 9:44 AM
in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Originally posted by bswcpa

Hi Gang!   Glad I'm not the only one still learning this new site.   For some reason I'm not getting email updates any more, although I've checked the toggle button.   At first I thought you were all just quiet over the last few days, but NO, 5 pages of reading later and I'm all caught up.   Glad I was able to keep the cool stuff that I'd just learned how to do, though.  Laughing

Welcome Derek!   It's nice to have an international flavor here.  Welcome Back Allison!   And Jonathan - welcome back to the world of sight.   I wondered where you went.  It was nice to finally read your bio, Tracy.  I don't think I realized before what an awesome biker you are.  Wish you were closer so I could ride with you and learn.

Good job on all the races this weekend!  Thanks for sharing your Mudder picture, Jen and thanks for explaining why you looked so clean. 

Dina - I don't use the nutrition logs.  I'd be too scared and disgusted at myself if I tracked what I ate.    I will say that I've challenged myself to cut out night time sweets and I've been pleasantly surprised that I've been doing pretty good with that.  Still, though, I snack all day long so if I added it all up, it would look like I eat a mountain of food.  It's probably something I should track, though.

It was so good to see you at the race this weekend, Dirk!  I was hoping your swim time would've been longer this year than last because mine was.  Oh well.  In case you all didn't know, Dirk is an amazing athlete and also a great guy.  He did forget his body glide, though, so he's not infallible.  Wink

Next up I get to see Matt at Maumee Bay in a few weeks.   I WILL find you this year, Matt!  Are you just coming in for the day or are you guys camping?  I think getting in with a group to ride would do wonders for your bike fitness.  It's good to be pushed.  

Have a great weekend everyone!  I'm off to finish planting my garden before the rains come.  That's my workout for today.

I'm really loving your use of the different font and colors!  I'm am going to start doing something like that, too!  Most times I'm just too busy to bother.

2013-05-22 9:48 AM
in reply to: RunningYogini

User image

Elite
far northern CA
My week has been very frustrating!!!!  My planned workouts have been affected by everyone else!  Blargh!!!!!  I have very limited times when I can do my workouts so when those times are squashed by anyone other than my munchkin, I get really crabby. Frown

2013-05-22 9:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Originally posted by trigal38Also, do any of you use the nutrition features? I never have but I've been eating too much chocolate and making cookies "for the kids" (yeah right). I thought maybe if I make myself track what I eat that would get me back on track but I can't seem to input anything. No big deal, just curious if I should keep messing around or if these features aren't working yet.
I have not been consistent in logging but have done it on the old site and now on the new site. The new site is definitely a lot easier, mostly! There are some annoyances while searching but it's noting terrible! I'm going to see how long I can log this time before giving up!
2013-05-22 10:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Brenda, I'm looking forward to Maumee bay, it will be the 1st tri of the year for me. I think we are going up on Friday and camping for the weekend! Isaac is Doing the kid duathlon onSaturday which should be interesting! As soon as I reserve a site I will let you know where we will be!Oh this traveling menu bar can become annoying when responding on my phone, thing keeps getting my way and can't see what is being typed!
2013-05-22 1:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Nova Scotia, Canada
Got in a pretty good swim workout at lunch. 8X 200m @ 3:45, race pace. Really hoping the rain and cold goes away soon, Really getting tired of biking in full gear. Its almost summer and were still waiting for spring to hit. Might try to run through the rain tonight if I can get the little one down to sleep early enough.
2013-05-22 3:45 PM
in reply to: DirkP

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Subject: RE: ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED
Check out this cute cycling cartoonLaughing
2013-05-22 3:55 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Originally posted by jgerbodegrant So of course the group had to go live when I could not see anything. I told Tony to update everyone, but didn't realize the new group went live...so I'm going to struggle through typing this. I had LASIK (yes, again) last Thursday and today is the first day I can sort of read the computer. I'm not supposed to spend a lot of time on it, so please excuse my brevity. It looks like we have a lot of the same people back, which is great. A warm welcome to both Derek and glad to have Vero back as well. The surgeon didn't say I could get back on the computer, but he did say I could go back to exercising today, so I'm about to hit the trainer for an hour and a half or so. I will post a bio and all that when the words are no longer double on the screen. :-)

It's good to "see" you're back on here.  Hopefully you'll be back to some decent training soon.

2013-05-22 3:59 PM
in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Originally posted by bswcpa

My body glide isn't the only thing I forgot.  I forgot to check the air pressure in my tires too.  I had to run to the truck with my wetsuit on because I remembered about 20 minutes before the race, immediately after I zipped my wetsuit up.  It seems I forgot a couple of other minor things too, but even now I can't remember what I forgot.  Hmm?  Alzheimer's much?

Time for a run and a swim!!

2013-05-22 4:32 PM
in reply to: BigDaddyD79

User image

Veteran
Redding, CA

I'm still learning the new site too. Somewhat frustrated as here at work I'm stuck with IE8 and many features don't seem to work, but at home with IE9 I have fewer issues.  I do miss seeing the miles logged on equipment on the right hand side of my logs.

Since we are nearing the end of the school year my schedule has been squeezed by a concert yesterday and an award ceremony tonight. A couple of shorter runs and 1/2 hour doing weights have been my only workouts so far this week. I had hoped to hit the pool and the bike both today, but we'll see how the evening goes after the ceremony.

Please excuse the following "woe is me" lament: The schedule on a work project I'm on has slipped and probably stepped on my schedule for my first olympic distance tri next month. I'm pretty bummed about it. I had hoped this would be my year for an olympic and then I'd train for my first HIM next year. Unless something changes in work schedule I may not be doing any tri's until September (when I've got sprints on consecutive weekends).

Meanwhile I'll keep training for tri as my normal workouts and hopefully something frees up where I can break away on a weekend when an olympic is happening within a couple hundred miles.

2013-05-22 7:08 PM

User image

NH
Originally posted by DirkP

My body glide isn't the only thing I forgot.  I forgot to check the air pressure in my tires too.  I had to run to the truck with my wetsuit on because I remembered about 20 minutes before the race, immediately after I zipped my wetsuit up.  It seems I forgot a couple of other minor things too, but even now I can't remember what I forgot.  Hmm?  Alzheimer's much?

Time for a run and a swim!!

I recently read an article about tire pressure and speed, and the results of actual testing were shocking, even to the people doing the testing. The tires rolling resistance was shockingly low at incredibly low pressures. Like 90 ish psi for most 700-23 tires if I recall correctly. They were trying to either confirm or dispel "common knowledge" about tires. If I can find the link I'll post it.

Not that this has anything to do with your mind going, which it is obviously is. Anyone who has spent more than a few minutes with you can attest to that fact!
2013-05-22 7:08 PM
in reply to: RunningYogini

User image

NH
Originally posted by RunningYogini

That is great, except #19. My wife would have some SERIOUS issues with that one.
2013-05-22 7:11 PM
in reply to: JonnyVero

User image

NH
Originally posted by JonnyVero

I'm still learning the new site too. Somewhat frustrated as here at work I'm stuck with IE8 and many features don't seem to work, but at home with IE9 I have fewer issues.  I do miss seeing the miles logged on equipment on the right hand side of my logs.

Since we are nearing the end of the school year my schedule has been squeezed by a concert yesterday and an award ceremony tonight. A couple of shorter runs and 1/2 hour doing weights have been my only workouts so far this week. I had hoped to hit the pool and the bike both today, but we'll see how the evening goes after the ceremony.

Please excuse the following "woe is me" lament: The schedule on a work project I'm on has slipped and probably stepped on my schedule for my first olympic distance tri next month. I'm pretty bummed about it. I had hoped this would be my year for an olympic and then I'd train for my first HIM next year. Unless something changes in work schedule I may not be doing any tri's until September (when I've got sprints on consecutive weekends).

Meanwhile I'll keep training for tri as my normal workouts and hopefully something frees up where I can break away on a weekend when an olympic is happening within a couple hundred miles.

I don't have anything to say about you lament. It's a perfectly reasonable thing to be bummed about. Be realistic about the time you do have to train and make the decision. Maybe ask work if there's any way you can do some training mid-day as a break - productivity increases before and after training!

Just throwing out some ideas. You actually don't have to do much long stuff to do an Olympic, so if there's any chance to make it happen and you really want to try, let us know and we'll see if we can't put something together. Otherwise, we'll be ready to hear about the sprints.

2013-05-22 8:14 PM
in reply to: JonnyVero

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Originally posted by JonnyVero

I agree with Warren.  Take the available time and do what you can.  If you can fit the Oly training in and NOT complete the Oly race you're looking at, you'll be that much further ahead for a HIM next season.  Holding a higher volume will reap many benefits over the long haul.  So......train for the olympic you are looking at doing, do it if you can and if you can't keep that volume and set yourself up for a late season oly and maybe have a jump on HIM training next year.

2013-05-22 8:18 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

So tonight I was supposed to get a short run (4 miles) and a swim but my lazy self sat in front of the computer to long after work and I ran out of time.  I could have gotten about a 30 minute swim in but for me that wouldn't be much of a swim for me.  I'm used to an hour or maybe just short of that.

So, instead I opted to have dinner with the family and then.................................

Embedded image permalink

Yep!  I have had 3 beers in 7 days.  That's about as many as I normally have in a month or maybe more than a month.  should I contact AA?

2013-05-22 8:30 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by DirkP

So tonight I was supposed to get a short run (4 miles) and a swim but my lazy self sat in front of the computer to long after work and I ran out of time.  I could have gotten about a 30 minute swim in but for me that wouldn't be much of a swim for me.  I'm used to an hour or maybe just short of that.

So, instead I opted to have dinner with the family and then.................................

Embedded image permalink

Yep!  I have had 3 beers in 7 days.  That's about as many as I normally have in a month or maybe more than a month.  should I contact AA?

Dirk if you drank 3 beers in 7 minutes then I think contacting AA might be a good idea otherwise I think you're good.
2013-05-22 8:33 PM
in reply to: wbayek

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Originally posted by wbayek

Originally posted by RunningYogini

That is great, except #19. My wife would have some SERIOUS issues with that one.

x2 and I agree with you Warren on #19. My favorite is #18.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ASPHALT JUNKIES Summer Bronzing Crew - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 114