BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2013-06-11 6:21 AM
in reply to: SouthFLJoe

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Subject: RE: TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- OPEN
Congratulations - you are an official Tri Athlete - you will learn from your first experience and figure out where you need to concentrate to get better. Nice job!

KC

Originally posted by SouthFLJoe

This past Saturday I did my first ever Triathlon in Clermont, FL. It went pretty much as expected, but I hoped to do a little bit better. I'm still very new to all three sports so I'm hoping progress and gains come quickly once I start picking it up. Thanks for all the motivation. I've attached a link to my race report below. I know biking is my weakest right now and running could definitely use improvement. Any advice or criticism would help! Thanks!

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

2013-06-11 6:26 AM
in reply to: tmoran80

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hi Tim.

Yes you can still message. Just put the cursor over the persons name above the profile picture and the option to send a message will pop up.

KC

Originally posted by tmoran80

Do they still have the message system here with the new design or is it all inspires now?
2013-06-11 6:31 AM
in reply to: kcgolf

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Good Morning Team.

Just wanted to say hello to Todd and Mike - welcome to the group. I am off to work - bike on the plans for today - hope the weather holds up and I get to ride outside.

Have a great day everyone.

KC
2013-06-11 8:29 AM

User image

Awesome! Congrats on the first tri!
2013-06-11 9:36 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job on your first race! We all take each race and learn something new. Now go and buy yourself a race belt!

Mike, hope your weather is getting better. I have no clue but we did manage to have a reasonable decent weekend where I didn't have to be any workouts inside.

Edited by krazytallchick 2013-06-11 10:41 AM
2013-06-11 9:38 AM
in reply to: krazytallchick

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well, I did it. sort of. I emailed me coach and told her I was not needing her services anymore. I know I should have called her but I knew I would back down if I did. Now let's see how long it will take for her to respond back.

Reality is kicking in for me as I have our lodging and flight booked for November. Now I still need to figure out how to transport my bike and rent a car. Lesson learned here.................register for a race that you can drive to.

2013-06-11 10:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Boulder
Congrats!!

This past Saturday I did my first ever Triathlon in Clermont, FL. It went pretty much as expected, but I hoped to do a little bit better. I'm still very new to all three sports so I'm hoping progress and gains come quickly once I start picking it up. Thanks for all the motivation. I've attached a link to my race report below. I know biking is my weakest right now and running could definitely use improvement. Any advice or criticism would help! Thanks!

2013-06-11 10:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Boulder
Sounds like you decided to go with the local coach? Good for you for making a decision that was hard but will help you in the future.

Funny, I picked Racine 70.3 because I knew I could drive there and not worry about my bike. Good luck with the travel plans

Originally posted by krazytallchick

Well, I did it. sort of. I emailed me coach and told her I was not needing her services anymore. I know I should have called her but I knew I would back down if I did. Now let's see how long it will take for her to respond back.

Reality is kicking in for me as I have our lodging and flight booked for November. Now I still need to figure out how to transport my bike and rent a car. Lesson learned here.................register for a race that you can drive to.
2013-06-11 10:54 AM
in reply to: WillTriForBeer

User image

Veteran
Boulder
Had an open water swim this morning which was good and I'm supposed to bike tonight but I may bag it as I'm just not feeling it and may need rest more than extra time in the saddle.
2013-06-11 11:22 AM

User image

Expert
Congrats on getting that first race under your belt Joe! I am sure it felt good to be done with it but you know you are hooked when you can't wait for the next one.

On the swim - One suggestion would be to start to either the left or right side instead of the middle and work your way back in after it settles down a bit. After a couple OWS you will get used to it.

2X on Todd's comment about a race belt. Very inexpensive and saves a ton of time. It also sounds like you put a shirt on in transition- right? You might want to consider picking up some tri shorts and jersey especially if you think this is something you want to continue with. Then you just get out of water jump on your bike and your off.

On the bike - It sounds like you might have been pushing to hard of a gear. That will come with practice. One thing to work on is to keep your cadence or pedal RPM around 80-90. You can figure this by just counting your right foot for 15 seconds and multiply X 4 (or with a bike computer) If your cadence is anywhere below 75 you are probably pushing too hard (some people refer to it as "Grinding" and your legs will get that jello feel. The key is to keep that cadence high and consistent. So if you are riding flat road you should be at 85-90 rpm, if you hit an incline then shift up to make it easier to pedal but keep that cadence at 85-95. After some practice you will get a good feel of what is going on and will just know when to shift just by your RPM "feel". Hopefully that makes sense.

You finished strong on the run which is great. If you incorporate some brick (bike/run) workouts once a week you will get used to that dead leg feel. They don't have to be long - just 10 minutes of running after biking will do it.

Again great work and glad you had a successful first race!

2013-06-11 11:23 AM

User image

Expert
I think you made the right decision.

Originally posted by krazytallchick

2013-06-11 10:32 PM

User image

Expert
So I decided to start torturing myself again and picked up with the Trainer Road Build I program. First one tonight was the Goethe workout and it kicked my butt but I made it through - 1 hour ride with 4 x 10 minutes at FTP (238) or higher

http://www.trainerroad.com/cycling/rides/340105

My biking has slacked the past two weeks with the 1/2 marathon so it felt good to get back at it tonight.
2013-06-11 11:23 PM
in reply to: kcgolf

User image

Regular
Originally posted by kcgolf

Good Morning Team.

Just wanted to say hello to Todd and Mike - welcome to the group. I am off to work - bike on the plans for today - hope the weather holds up and I get to ride outside.

Have a great day everyone.

KC

Hi KC! Thanks for the welcoming!

Todd
2013-06-11 11:31 PM
in reply to: ettringite23

User image

Regular
First official run after four weeks of time off; PT; strengthing, stretching and "medicinal runs". Went for 3.3 miles and averaged 9 min/mile and got up to 7 min/mile. Felt pretty good, but dont have a lot of confidence in the calf. First tri is in 1 1/2, hoping for the best!

The doctor diagnosed it as a Grade 1 tear of the soleus muscle. From what I read, it has been referred as "calf heart attack'. With reinjury very common (for me, I reinfured at least 5 times in the last 6 months. I have been told that I will have to stretch and strengthen my calf indefinitely.

Moving forward!

Todd
2013-06-12 2:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Congratulations Joe, feels good to finally get one under the belt I bet! As everyone else has already said, what you learn from each race is invaluable for future races. We always put more pressure on ourselves to perform well, that is only natural, at the end of the day though you finished and hopefully had fun in the process.

2013-06-12 2:43 AM
in reply to: kruzmeister

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
G'day Team,

Happy Hump Day!

Thanks everyone for all of the advice re the run/walk program, I'm definitely going to be implementing that come HM day as I am nowhere near fit enough to run more than half of it. I booked accomodation for IMOZ today, so that is a load off my mind. Actually cost me less for 5 nights accomodation at Port Macquarie than it did to enter IMOZ! Training has been coming along, still got a slight cramp issue with my right calf but it is slowly getting better. I'm back in the pool again swimming some decent workouts so I'm happy about that. I'm definitely ready to start my IM plan on Monday.

Mike & Todd - Welcome to Team RFP!

KTC - I agree with Tim, good decision. There is no point being trained by someone you have lost confidence in, time to move on and look after number one.

Tim - Bummer re all the flats, your bike is probably getting you back for all those times you called it a POC when you were training for IM last year! LOL!

Lori - How is the leg going?

KC - Hope the work is slowing down for you. Also hope the ITB issue is coming along.

2013-06-12 3:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Anyone know how to upload a new profile pic without it being shrunk down to half the size?
2013-06-12 8:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Hilliard, OH
You all are doing great! I am inspired every time I read your posts. My family took a short trip to Gatlinburg and the only place to run was on the mountain. I guess I can say I got my hill work done! There was no way to take my bike or get in my swimming while I was there so mountain running was it for the 2 days. It was a fun time but now I need to get back to work. My ironman is going to be here all too soon. My coach pointed out that I only got one swim in last week. Definitely not good. It is time to get focused. It will be worth it in the end!
2013-06-12 10:00 AM
in reply to: ettringite23

User image

Expert
Todd - I read that article you had posted last week regarding the calf heart attack and it seemed really good and I would highly suggest you follow that. I get real worried when I see you doing 7:00/mile runs and if you have what was described in the article you are just begging to re-injure yourself. If you have not noticed I am an injury prevention freak. In 2008 I had an IT Band issue so bad that I couldn't run more than 4 miles without sever pain. Since then I have made it a point to not let an injury sideline me by just following these basic guidelines:

1. Be realistic.
2. Listen to your body
3. Follow the 10% rule for everything
4. Never push it just because it feels good at the moment. Respect the injury.

Recovering from an injury is a very difficult task especially since most triathletes are type "A" personalities and don't like being told they can't do something haha. I think you basically summed it up when you said you have re-injured this area 5 times in the past 6 months. So what are you going to do different this time to prevent it?

Originally posted by ettringite23

First official run after four weeks of time off; PT; strengthing, stretching and "medicinal runs". Went for 3.3 miles and averaged 9 min/mile and got up to 7 min/mile. Felt pretty good, but dont have a lot of confidence in the calf. First tri is in 1 1/2, hoping for the best!

The doctor diagnosed it as a Grade 1 tear of the soleus muscle. From what I read, it has been referred as "calf heart attack'. With reinjury very common (for me, I reinfured at least 5 times in the last 6 months. I have been told that I will have to stretch and strengthen my calf indefinitely.

Moving forward!

Todd
2013-06-12 11:00 AM

User image

Expert
What do yo mean Simone? My bike loves me haha. I actually figured out that since I spent $250 on it and have ridden 4500 mile son it I am paying about $.05/mile - not too bad haha.

As far as thepictures you probably have to resize it smaller. I haven't looked at the new site but I would think if you resize it in photshop to about 100 x 100 pixels you should be fine. I wil take a look when I get a chance.

Originally posted by kruzmeister

Tim - Bummer re all the flats, your bike is probably getting you back for all those times you called it a POC when you were training for IM last year! LOL!

2013-06-12 11:05 AM
in reply to: mkennedy0525

User image

Expert
The way I see it - one swim is better than no swims

The original mentor of this group David always used to remind us that none of us are pros (yet haha). Life happens and gets in the way and we deal with it. I try to break my training in weekly modules. Some weeks are better than others. If you miss a few workouts one week then Monday restarts everything and you get back at it again.

After my IM last year I went back in my logs and realized that I missed over 55 workouts in my plan over 30 weeks. If you would have told me that I would miss that many when I started the program I would have been freaking out. But life happens and you make the best of what you can do.

You will be fine!

Originally posted by mkennedy0525

You all are doing great! I am inspired every time I read your posts. My family took a short trip to Gatlinburg and the only place to run was on the mountain. I guess I can say I got my hill work done! There was no way to take my bike or get in my swimming while I was there so mountain running was it for the 2 days. It was a fun time but now I need to get back to work. My ironman is going to be here all too soon. My coach pointed out that I only got one swim in last week. Definitely not good. It is time to get focused. It will be worth it in the end!

2013-06-12 1:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Boulder
Got a long run in this morning! It should have been 1hr 30min but ended up 1hr 20min as I had to get to work. Oh well. It was good and my IT band has yet to hurt this season (knock on wood). I think the 5:1 run/walk ratio has really been helping.

Simone - you can really see the weight-loss in your new profile pic. Way to go!
2013-06-12 6:50 PM

User image

Regular
Originally posted by tmoran80

Todd - I read that article you had posted last week regarding the calf heart attack and it seemed really good and I would highly suggest you follow that. I get real worried when I see you doing 7:00/mile runs and if you have what was described in the article you are just begging to re-injure yourself. If you have not noticed I am an injury prevention freak. In 2008 I had an IT Band issue so bad that I couldn't run more than 4 miles without sever pain. Since then I have made it a point to not let an injury sideline me by just following these basic guidelines:

1. Be realistic.
2. Listen to your body
3. Follow the 10% rule for everything
4. Never push it just because it feels good at the moment. Respect the injury.

Recovering from an injury is a very difficult task especially since most triathletes are type "A" personalities and don't like being told they can't do something haha. I think you basically summed it up when you said you have re-injured this area 5 times in the past 6 months. So what are you going to do different this time to prevent it?

Originally posted by ettringite23

Moving forward!

Todd

Very good point. I think I will hold back and continue the walk/jog scenerio. You are all too correct about my reinjury and us triathletes trying to push it too hard. I have the whole season ahead.

Thanks,
Todd
2013-06-12 8:27 PM

User image

Weather has been good the past could of days, so was able to get a short run and a long ride today. So slow on the bike it's embarrassing. It was very windy today and my drivetrain is messed up. I cleaned it yesterday and tried to adjust the screws. Big mistake, spent half the ride skipping gears and cross chained. Need to take it into the shop tomorrow.

Anyway, I got a new HRM belt and am wondering if you guys have any advice for using heart rate zones for training? There is so much conflicting information online I'm not sure what I'm meant to be doing. Thanks!
2013-06-13 12:17 AM
in reply to: MikeMcK

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Mike, if you have an iPhone you might want to check out the Bike Repair app. I've used it for basic stuff and it has some good info re tweaking deraillers etc. pretty easy to follow picture guide also. Might save you a trip to the LBS.

With regards to HR zones, Tim is the man to ask for that. I've just started using them, but I am going by the IronFink plan which I think is slightly different.

Glad to hear you are getting some good weather and workouts in, oh and you cannot possibly be slower than me on the bike, haha!

Originally posted by MikeMcK

Weather has been good the past could of days, so was able to get a short run and a long ride today. So slow on the bike it's embarrassing. It was very windy today and my drivetrain is messed up. I cleaned it yesterday and tried to adjust the screws. Big mistake, spent half the ride skipping gears and cross chained. Need to take it into the shop tomorrow.

Anyway, I got a new HRM belt and am wondering if you guys have any advice for using heart rate zones for training? There is so much conflicting information online I'm not sure what I'm meant to be doing. Thanks!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TEAM RFP (Relentless Forward Progress)- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 28