BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2014-01-11 11:47 AM
in reply to: #4915342

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Re-Opened, Come On In
So yesterday, I had a late hair appointment at 7pm. I was getting my hair braided. Needless to say, I didn't make it to swimming after getting home at 2am from my hair appointment. I was so exhausted I slept thru both alarms.
My training plan starts on Monday.

Should I upgrade my membership so I can import a custom plan?

2014-01-11 12:11 PM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Re-Opened, Come On In
Originally posted by Lovey

So yesterday, I had a late hair appointment at 7pm. I was getting my hair braided. Needless to say, I didn't make it to swimming after getting home at 2am from my hair appointment. I was so exhausted I slept thru both alarms.

I can tell you that I have always been a member if for no other reason than to support this site that has given me so much. Here recently it expired and I can tell you that I noticed the difference log / training plan wise and got my membership back. I can tell you that for me I didn't really notice a huge difference between bronze and silver but I no there are differences.
2014-01-11 12:18 PM

User image

New user

I'm a silver member because there was a slightly larger number of training plans to choose from and there are some videos you have access to as well. The biggest advantage is that no matter if it is bronze or silver membership level that you have, it is amazing how much you make sure you use something you are paying for rather than are getting for free.

Michael
2014-01-11 1:23 PM
in reply to: Mikey73

User image

New user

Transferring data between planned training and the training log.

I am setting up my training log and entering vital stats as a "before/starting point". I have worked all that out and have been able to import a plan into the planned calendar. My question is this? Once I have completed the planned workout is there an easy way to transfer this into the log (actual workout) or do I have to manually enter it over?
I'm sure it is easy but I cant workout how after having a play around myself.
Also how to I add friends to my list of friends?
I have also decided to use the blog. I have never blogged before but I thought this might be an interesting experience to try.

Thanks for your help
2014-01-11 1:51 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

I can tell you that I have always been a member if for no other reason than to support this site that has given me so much. Here recently it expired and I can tell you that I noticed the difference log / training plan wise and got my membership back. I can tell you that for me I didn't really notice a huge difference between bronze and silver but I no there are differences.

Thanks. I will check out the differences. I like that I can custom make my training plan and then uploaded.

On another note, my running club ask me to be a coach in there beginner 5K training program. I did it years ago as a participant then as a coach when I first started running in 2008. I did this particular one last summer with my son. I was already beyond the distance but my son wanted to train for a 5K. A parent was required to be there and hubby would not do it.
I could do it and switch it for my short run day or just make it an extra day. It is a 9 week commitment.
2014-01-11 7:19 PM

Grand Junction, Colorado
So tomorrow is the day I need to register for my race before the price hike. Here's my situation:

Not sure about Sprint or Olympic distance yet. Race is on 5/18 so I've got time. Looks like if I register for Sprint ($60), I can always upgrade to Olympic by paying extra if there's still room. And I can also register for Olympic ($100) and downgrade before the race (no refund though).

Looking at calendars, there is another Tri, with Olympic, in September. So assuming I like this first one and the training, I could do the sprint first, then the Olympic in Sept. I suppose.

Decisions decisions...

Thanks for listening to my ramblings...

2014-01-12 12:01 AM
in reply to: mbrassette

User image

New user

Well, I give this info as someone who hasn't completed a triathlon yet. But I did a bit of reading about triathlon and training plans before I settled on the right one. As for a sprint or Olympic distance for your first one the general consensus from various books and sites is this. If you are starting from no background in any of the three sports, do a sprint triathlon for your first. If you are coming from a background in swimming or cycling or running, than it may be ok to start with the Olympic distance for your first triathlon.
I hope this helps more than it confuses.

Michael.
2014-01-12 1:28 AM

User image

New Year Resolutions

I just finished reading a newspaper article that provided the anecdote that 80% of people have already broken or given up their new year resolutions.

Well done to all of Todd's Tri Turtles who are continuing with their commitment to becoming a triathlete or becoming a better triathlete as part of their 2014 goals.

Rod
2014-01-12 1:37 AM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Originally posted by mbrassette So tomorrow is the day I need to register for my race before the price hike. Here's my situation: Not sure about Sprint or Olympic distance yet. Race is on 5/18 so I've got time. Looks like if I register for Sprint ($60), I can always upgrade to Olympic by paying extra if there's still room. And I can also register for Olympic ($100) and downgrade before the race (no refund though). Looking at calendars, there is another Tri, with Olympic, in September. So assuming I like this first one and the training, I could do the sprint first, then the Olympic in Sept. I suppose. Decisions decisions... Thanks for listening to my ramblings...

Sounds like the perfect setup to do the sprint first, then the Olympic in September 

2014-01-12 1:34 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Today was my long run, currently around 6 miles.
I was aiming for a 10k distance but miscalculated the distance. It was a really good run. We have been struggling on the 10k distance. Not enough consistent good runs to move up the distance. However, today was a really good strong run. I had a steady pace of 14 min/mile until half way when I slid on black ice and landed on my butt. I was shaky for a little bit but decided to slow down and be careful.

Edited by Lovey 2014-01-12 1:39 PM
2014-01-12 2:00 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: Changing struggle to opportunities

Hey All,

Thanks for posting your obstacles and achievements. It helps to know others are going through the same quagmire. My goals for this year(as a newbie) are to learn proper mechanics for the different sports and create a strong foundation to build upon.

Right now, I'm looking at my relationship with swimming. It's been struggle and that does not work for me. I joined a gym with a pool in November. After day one(I could barely survive a 50m) I started researching and found Total Immersion. Although the word effortless comes up with their style, I feel anything but that. I went to a weekend workshop last week. My mechanics are better, but there is still struggle. I think my main issue is that I feel i should be farther along than i am. This causes me to invalidate what I have achieved and look forwards with concern and worry. Not cool. I'm using the training peaks virtual coach for swim direction. My practice last night was supposed to total 1700. The warm up alone was 300m. In my head, i should be able to swim the 300 straight(which i didnt and got frustrated about). I guess what it comes down to is I am where I am and its further along than I've ever been. Going forward I would love to change the "struggle" into an opportunity to overcome  and I need to get that effortless comes with practice.

Thanks for listening

- Graham

Edited by 2gs 2014-01-12 2:01 PM

2014-01-12 2:08 PM

User image

Just completed my second week of training. Training was interrupted due to a slightg knee complaint. I find that rest is the best cure so I only completed a couple of training sesions.

Any thoughts on wether I should try and catch up on the sessions I missed or just continue with this week's training schedule as planned?

Highlight of the week was going to the Gatorade Triathlon at St Kilda Beach. Thiere was the Beginner , Sprint & Olympic races / distances. I hope to be able to compete in the Beginner race next season. It was very motivating watching the Beginner series, particularly the look of achievement & satisfaction as people crossed the finishing line. The main stand out was a triahlete with one leg and the effort he was making to complete the race.

It's going to be verfy hot this week so I'll be swimming at the beach each day if I can. We're expecting temperatures of 37 - 41 degrees Celsius. That's around 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I plan to train early in the morning to beat the heat. Just goes to show the diversity in this group as Lovey encountered Black Ice while training.

Rod

2014-01-12 6:08 PM
in reply to: #4915342

User image

I have had a yucky cold and the weather going from freezing to tornado watch is not helping. Being sick zaps me of all energy... I have a new swim adventure that starts tomorrow evening....I will report back to share how it goes.

Kelly- in 2012 we did several Sprints in your area! I will definitely let you know if we go up that way this year! You should come down to the "Dash for Divas" in September held at White Lake. It is soooooooo much fun!!

Lovey- Great job on your long run! I am glad you didn't get hurt on the black ice! Yikes! Be careful out there!
2014-01-12 6:56 PM
in reply to: Pixiedustlady

User image

Subject: Cross Training
Hi everyone!

I ran 10 miles yesterday with my Galloway group. It went really well and I wasn't even sore the day after. Today I took my bike out for a quick 3.5 mile ride on a local trail.

I've come to realize I need to do some full body conditioning. With the 10 miles not challenging me, and the fact I have different ares of my body I want to tone up and work on (arms, abs, sides). I'm going to start doing 30 minutes of a workout video in the morning before work to try and condition more.

This week I have a ton of wedding/life obligations after work so I have to wake up and get something in! The main struggle for me will be going to bed at a decent hour; I'm just a night owl.

Hope everyone else had a good weekend and that it's warming up for you all!

Kelly
2014-01-12 7:37 PM

User image

Originally posted by Mikey73

Transferring data between planned training and the training log.

I am setting up my training log and entering vital stats as a "before/starting point". I have worked all that out and have been able to import a plan into the planned calendar. My question is this? Once I have completed the planned workout is there an easy way to transfer this into the log (actual workout) or do I have to manually enter it over?
I'm sure it is easy but I cant workout how after having a play around myself.
I have also decided to use the blog. I have never blogged before but I thought this might be an interesting experience to try.

Thanks for your help

Not sure you can copy it from planned to actual. I always re-enter my data, plus that way you can add extra detail and exact times/distance etc. Sometimes it would be nice though to just be able to click a copy and past button!
2014-01-12 10:53 PM
in reply to: 2gs

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Subject: RE: Changing struggle to opportunities

Originally posted by 2gs

Hey All,

Thanks for posting your obstacles and achievements. It helps to know others are going through the same quagmire. My goals for this year(as a newbie) are to learn proper mechanics for the different sports and create a strong foundation to build upon.

Right now, I'm looking at my relationship with swimming. It's been struggle and that does not work for me. I joined a gym with a pool in November. After day one(I could barely survive a 50m) I started researching and found Total Immersion. Although the word effortless comes up with their style, I feel anything but that. I went to a weekend workshop last week. My mechanics are better, but there is still struggle. I think my main issue is that I feel i should be farther along than i am. This causes me to invalidate what I have achieved and look forwards with concern and worry. Not cool. I'm using the training peaks virtual coach for swim direction. My practice last night was supposed to total 1700. The warm up alone was 300m. In my head, i should be able to swim the 300 straight(which i didnt and got frustrated about). I guess what it comes down to is I am where I am and its further along than I've ever been. Going forward I would love to change the "struggle" into an opportunity to overcome  and I need to get that effortless comes with practice.

Thanks for listening

- Graham

It will all come in good time: the fitness, the mechanics, the distance. Don't feel you should try and measure up to a standard that doesn't fit, everyone is different and everyone has different strengths and weaknesses. All you need to do is stay focussed and positive, and you'll be swimming the 1700 with ease in no time

2014-01-13 2:08 AM
in reply to: Pixiedustlady

So I am not quite sure how this works. I choose you as a mentor? And I do so by replying? So here is the deal. I turn 49 on Feb 1. I used to be very fit and athletic. Now granted that was a long time ago. Like ages but I have not given up on the dream of getting back there. I have been reading the book by Jayne Williams, "Slow, Fat, Triathlete". Thus I want to start doing SOMETHING, ANYTHING...

That is the short version. I don't want to add to much yet in case I am off my rocker and this is not the right forum.

Thanks
Teresa
2014-01-13 2:28 AM
in reply to: MotherT

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Sounds like you've come to the right spot! Welcome .

2014-01-13 12:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Thanks. I will check out the differences. I like that I can custom make my training plan and then uploaded.

On another note, my running club ask me to be a coach in there beginner 5K training program. I did it years ago as a participant then as a coach when I first started running in 2008. I did this particular one last summer with my son. I was already beyond the distance but my son wanted to train for a 5K. A parent was required to be there and hubby would not do it.
I could do it and switch it for my short run day or just make it an extra day. It is a 9 week commitment.

Share what you got, and use it as your short day. This way you get in your workout and additional satisfaction knowing that you have helped others.
2014-01-13 12:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Mikey73

Once I have completed the planned workout is there an easy way to transfer this into the log (actual workout) or do I have to manually enter it over?

I believe there is a way to have it populate straight from the Plan but I'm not sure how to do it. I have just always do it myself becuase I would always be a little over / under for most days anyhow. I also like to keep up with the equipment I've used so I have to go into the log anyhow.

To Add Friends: The easiest way is probably to just click on the person name above their post and a set of opitons will pop up to the side. You then just click on Add to Friends and you are done.
2014-01-13 12:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by mbrassette

So tomorrow is the day I need to register for my race before the price hike. Here's my situation:

Not sure about Sprint or Olympic distance yet. Race is on 5/18 so I've got time. Looks like if I register for Sprint ($60), I can always upgrade to Olympic by paying extra if there's still room. And I can also register for Olympic ($100) and downgrade before the race (no refund though).

Looking at calendars, there is another Tri, with Olympic, in September. So assuming I like this first one and the training, I could do the sprint first, then the Olympic in Sept. I suppose.

Decisions decisions...

Thanks for listening to my ramblings...

Only you can know, but like I posted before it has never hurt a person to do a sprint as their first and then move up with that experience and knowledge. You also could upgrade like you said when you know more for certain where you are at after training for a few months.

2014-01-13 12:12 PM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by AussieTurtle

New Year Resolutions

I just finished reading a newspaper article that provided the anecdote that 80% of people have already broken or given up their new year resolutions.

Well done to all of Todd's Tri Turtles who are continuing with their commitment to becoming a triathlete or becoming a better triathlete as part of their 2014 goals.

Rod

Amen to this It is easy to say I will or I can, but it's another to step up, put in the work, and do so.
2014-01-13 12:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Today was my long run, currently around 6 miles.
I was aiming for a 10k distance but miscalculated the distance. It was a really good run. We have been struggling on the 10k distance. Not enough consistent good runs to move up the distance. However, today was a really good strong run. I had a steady pace of 14 min/mile until half way when I slid on black ice and landed on my butt. I was shaky for a little bit but decided to slow down and be careful.

Bless yall who have to run in ICE and Snow and for actually going outside to do so. I complain when it's in the 40's here and have to force myself to go out of the house.
2014-01-13 12:19 PM
in reply to: Just_Kelly

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Cross Training
Originally posted by Just_Kelly

Hi everyone!

I ran 10 miles yesterday with my Galloway group. It went really well and I wasn't even sore the day after. Today I took my bike out for a quick 3.5 mile ride on a local trail.

I've come to realize I need to do some full body conditioning. With the 10 miles not challenging me, and the fact I have different ares of my body I want to tone up and work on (arms, abs, sides). I'm going to start doing 30 minutes of a workout video in the morning before work to try and condition more.

This week I have a ton of wedding/life obligations after work so I have to wake up and get something in! The main struggle for me will be going to bed at a decent hour; I'm just a night owl.

Hope everyone else had a good weekend and that it's warming up for you all!

Kelly

Kelly that is one heck of a run, 10 miles is nice for anything, but as a training run no less. Way to Go. Also I fight with the same thing as you, which is being a night owl. I know that my body needs the sleep to recover but after work, working out, and family time it is hard for me to go to bed instead of watching a little TV or surfing the net.
2014-01-13 12:25 PM
in reply to: 2gs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Changing struggle to opportunities
Originally posted by 2gs

Hey All,

Thanks for listening

- Graham

Graham you have the right attitude. It does suck when your putting in the working and the results might not be coming as fast or big as you plan. You still are doing so much more than you were and trust me the swim will come. I find it funny how we always think about training for a Half or Full Marathon and know it is going to be a lot of hard work and training. However we take up swimming and can not believe that we are not swimming a mile plus in a few weeks. I think this is largely because our percevied energy use does not seem the same becuase we are in the water. Keep at what you are doing it will come and I can also tell you that it comes a little slower when you are ensuring proper technique as you train.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 33

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24943 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 19204 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.