BT Development Mentor Program Archives » We Don't Just Tri - We Do (Season 2) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2014-01-23 6:08 PM
in reply to: AlexJouJou

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Subject: RE: We Don't Just Tri - We Do (Season 2) - OPEN
Originally posted by AlexJouJou

Question on training plans. Are there plans that I can merge with my Half Marathon training which would allow me to keep doing my running and yet start at the beginning for cycling and swimming? I looked at some beginner and think I could do them if I just sub in my regular running training that I'm working on. Thoughts?

I think your approach is what I would do. I would take the tri plan and substitute / merge my HM runs into my weekly training.

The other approaches will cost $$. You could get a coach - expensive, or use the customizable Gold plan from BT (also $$). By doing that you enter in your race schedule and the priority of the race (A, B, or C) and the program gives you a master plan and workout goals based on that schedule.

If you do the former I'm sure you'll be good-to-go.

Thom

2014-01-23 6:08 PM
in reply to: sundevil87

User image

, California
Subject: RE: We Don't Just Tri - We Do (Season 2) - Closed

OK Bike Question for all you able bikers.

Help! I want to get a bike SOON so I can start riding but want to make sure I make the right choice.

After some solid advice from my neighbor who is an avid biker, I have narrowed my search down to 2 bikes and am a bit stuck on what the difference and may have an issue with having to order #2. I test rode the Specialized and loved it. With just a seat adjustment it felt pretty good and I know I can get a good fit from the store based on my friends recommendation.  The Scott I will need to order. I have test driven the men's version of the bike and it hurt my back due to poor fit. The owner who has been fitting people for 15 years put me on a measuring system with the bike and noted that my measurements would be best for the women's bike and guaranteed the fit if I ordered the bike. BOTH are carbon frames, similar components. $366 difference in price 

Why is the Specialized more expensive?

Would you trust ordering a bike you have not test driven even though you are guaranteed a fit ( changing out handlebars, stems etc)

Over the long run is $366 insignificant

I am leaning toward the Specialized

Here are the bikes  - I believe the components are almost the same except for the tires.

Bike 1 - Specialized Amira 

Price $1866 on sale from $2600

• FRONT BRAKE Shimano 105
  • REAR BRAKE Shimano 105
  • BRAKE LEVERS
  • FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano 105
  • REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano 105
  • SHIFT LEVERS Shimano 105 STI
  • CASSETTE Shimano Tiagra, 10-speed, 11-28
  • CHAIN Shimano Tiagra 10-speed
  • CRANKSET FSA Gossamer Pro
  • CHAINRINGS 50/34
  • BOTTOM BRACKET With crankset
  • PEDALS Nylon flat test ride, loose ball, w/ reflectors
  • FRONT WHEEL DT Axis 3.0
  • REAR WHEEL DT Axis 3.0
  • FRONT TIRE Specialized Turbo Elite, BlackBelt, 100TPI, aramid bead, 700x23c
  • REAR TIRE Specialized Turbo Elite, BlackBelt, 100TPI, aramid bead, 700x23

Bike #2

Scott C1 Contessa

$1500 sale from $2400

Headset Ritchey Int.Cartridge

Rear Derailleu rShimano 105 silver new 2012, RD-5700A,20Speed

Front Derailleur Shimano 105 FD-5700 silver

Shifters Shimano 105 silver ST-5700, Dual control,20 Speed

Brakes Shimano 105 BR-5700, Super SLR Dual pivotsilver

Crankset Shimano 105 Compact silver, FC-5750,Hollowtech II, 50 x 34

BB-SetShimano 105 new BB - 5700

Handleba rScott Road Drop Contessa, 31.8 mm,Lady AnatomicStemScott Contessa Road OS, 1 1/8“, 31.8 mm

Pedals None included

Seatpost Scott Carbon/AL, 31.6/300mm, w/o offset

Seat Scott Contessa ProFront HubMavic Aksium blackRear HubMavic Aksium black

Chain Shimano Tiagra CN-5701

Cassette Shimano Tiagra CS-4600, 12-30 T

Spokes Mavic Aksium black

Rims Mavic Aksium black, 18 Front / 20

RearTires Continental Ultra Race fold, 700 x 23

2014-01-23 6:24 PM
in reply to: MamacitaT

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Originally posted by MamacitaT

OK Bike Question for all you able bikers.

Help! I want to get a bike SOON so I can start riding but want to make sure I make the right choice.

After some solid advice from my neighbor who is an avid biker, I have narrowed my search down to 2 bikes and am a bit stuck on what the difference and may have an issue with having to order #2. I test rode the Specialized and loved it. With just a seat adjustment it felt pretty good and I know I can get a good fit from the store based on my friends recommendation.  The Scott I will need to order. I have test driven the men's version of the bike and it hurt my back due to poor fit. The owner who has been fitting people for 15 years put me on a measuring system with the bike and noted that my measurements would be best for the women's bike and guaranteed the fit if I ordered the bike. BOTH are carbon frames, similar components. $366 difference in price 

Why is the Specialized more expensive?

Would you trust ordering a bike you have not test driven even though you are guaranteed a fit ( changing out handlebars, stems etc)

Over the long run is $366 insignificant

I am leaning toward the Specialized

Here are the bikes  - I believe the components are almost the same except for the tires.

Bike 1 - Specialized Amira 

Price $1866 on sale from $2600

• FRONT BRAKE Shimano 105
  • REAR BRAKE Shimano 105
  • BRAKE LEVERS
  • FRONT DERAILLEUR Shimano 105
  • REAR DERAILLEUR Shimano 105
  • SHIFT LEVERS Shimano 105 STI
  • CASSETTE Shimano Tiagra, 10-speed, 11-28
  • CHAIN Shimano Tiagra 10-speed
  • CRANKSET FSA Gossamer Pro
  • CHAINRINGS 50/34
  • BOTTOM BRACKET With crankset
  • PEDALS Nylon flat test ride, loose ball, w/ reflectors
  • FRONT WHEEL DT Axis 3.0
  • REAR WHEEL DT Axis 3.0
  • FRONT TIRE Specialized Turbo Elite, BlackBelt, 100TPI, aramid bead, 700x23c
  • REAR TIRE Specialized Turbo Elite, BlackBelt, 100TPI, aramid bead, 700x23

Bike #2

Scott C1 Contessa

$1500 sale from $2400

Headset Ritchey Int.Cartridge

Rear Derailleu rShimano 105 silver new 2012, RD-5700A,20Speed

Front Derailleur Shimano 105 FD-5700 silver

Shifters Shimano 105 silver ST-5700, Dual control,20 Speed

Brakes Shimano 105 BR-5700, Super SLR Dual pivotsilver

Crankset Shimano 105 Compact silver, FC-5750,Hollowtech II, 50 x 34

BB-SetShimano 105 new BB - 5700

Handleba rScott Road Drop Contessa, 31.8 mm,Lady AnatomicStemScott Contessa Road OS, 1 1/8“, 31.8 mm

Pedals None included

Seatpost Scott Carbon/AL, 31.6/300mm, w/o offset

Seat Scott Contessa ProFront HubMavic Aksium blackRear HubMavic Aksium black

Chain Shimano Tiagra CN-5701

Cassette Shimano Tiagra CS-4600, 12-30 T

Spokes Mavic Aksium black

Rims Mavic Aksium black, 18 Front / 20

RearTires Continental Ultra Race fold, 700 x 23

Ask a hundred people you'll get a 50 answers. I think what is key in what you post is
I test rode the Specialized and loved it.
. How you feel on a bike (or shoes etc) is the most important. Granted, you haven't ridden the Scott yet so you don't know. Perhaps you can order the Scott and then wait for it to come and test it - if the store will let you do that.

Scott enthusiasts will probably tell you to get a Scott. Conversely, a Specialized rider would recommend you get that one. You see lots of both bikes on the road and both are good companies.

You can go to a number of different sites that would do a side-by-side comparison. This site - http://road-bikes.findthebest.com/compare/532-596/2012-Scott-Contes... - does one. Not sure if these are the exact bikes you're looking at. There are other sites as well.

This is probably less than super helpful. Sorry about that. In the end you have to be comfortable on the bike so I take you back to my first comment. If you really liked the Specialized and you can get a great price and you don't have to wait - then it might be the right way to go.

Thom
2014-01-23 6:35 PM
in reply to: Armandova

User image

When did you try to sign up? I kind of want to try my first tri before I sign up for it, but I also don't want it to sell out before I get a chance to sign up.
2014-01-23 6:38 PM

User image

Also on the Nations Tri I just saw that you can get $20 off if you are a USAT member by using the code: USAT

I signed up for a membership, so if this works, great!! Was there an expiration date?
2014-01-23 7:46 PM

User image

, California

Originally posted by Armandova

Hi Joe

When I look at snacks, I try and stay away from anything processed. I like to snack on some nuts or fruit if I want something salty, crunchy or sweet. I like peanuts or almonds with a banana or some dates if I want something sweet. They all contain a good amount of fiber; however, I know that sometimes we need to eat what is at hand and that can be a protein bar and therefore processed.

Tara, 

I just started on a kick of vegetables and whole foods.   It is definitely hard at first but after only 2 weeks of it, I kind of crave them.  I am not vegan and reward myself with 2 oreo cookies if I have a good day of eating.   I have found that I need the protein and have settled on eggs, tofu, beans, tuna or chicken.   My wife makes a mean steak and pork chops and I will help myself to it.  The difference is that I will not have rice and the portions are much more controlled.   Sounds like you have experience in this front I will be looking forward to the advice you give others. 

a

Hey Armondo - Only 2 Oreos? That is willpower!. I am also finding I am drawn more toward protein these days and that seems to be the thing that satisfies my hunger the best. I usually prepare dinner using recipes from Cooking Light and my family REALLY enjoys them. They have some terrific recipes. We cook all sorts of meat chicken, pork, beef but as you said the portions are the key and the recipes are very light. We are definitely carnivores and not vegans. 

Hope you are keeping warm. My husband is traveling back east and keeps commenting on how cold it is. We are in a weird, hot drought this winter and I think it is quite a shock traveling from here to NY.

Stay warm!

2014-01-23 8:35 PM
in reply to: WayWay

User image

Originally posted by WayWay

Also on the Nations Tri I just saw that you can get $20 off if you are a USAT member by using the code: USAT

I signed up for a membership, so if this works, great!! Was there an expiration date?

I didn't see one and the issue is the current one. Hope it works!
2014-01-23 11:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Originally posted by WayWay

Thanks for the input.

I will definitely make sure to get plenty of wetsuit in-and-out practice in. Wearing one of those is still something that is pretty scary sounding to me, but I know its also an inevitability. Might as well embrace it.

Luckily, I live really close to the lake where I intend to do my first open water race. Several people in my cycling classes at my local Y are also into triathlon, and I've heard that once it warms up, they go out as a group and do some OWS practice together. I'll probably tag along with them once that happens. Actual practice on the course itself prior to race day will be comforting, I think.

I get to deal with the whole renting vs. buying dilemma. I'm really hesitant to buy a wetsuit on the chance that I don't stick with it (hopefully not) or if I lose weight to the point that it won't fit after a year or even at the end of the season. But then again, if I do four races and rent one for each race, I'm spending around $200 anyway, which is about the price of an entry level or used wetsuit. I think I'll probably just rent for my first season and think about buying next season. Does anybody have advice to the contrary?

Meghan,

I think after a few times in the wet suit you will love it, the extra buoyancy makes swimming all that much easier. Depending how warm the weather is in your neck of the woods a sleeveless might work? I have used one for a few years for both lake and ocean swims, but I am warm blooded and anything over 60 is warm enough for me. I picked up a new Xterra for $100. Most real triathletes will recommend a full, but I like the freedom of the sleeveless myself.
Good luck and yes there are many many toys available for the gadget happy triathlete and there is always something new!
2014-01-24 11:16 AM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Originally posted by Mountaindan
I think after a few times in the wet suit you will love it, the extra buoyancy makes swimming all that much easier.

If the water conditions are wet suit legal I always wear one - for the exact reason Dan stated. Makes the swim much easier.

I plan to add a sleeveless suit to my kit. If the water is warm then I would prefer the arm movement freedom that a sleeveless suit would provide.

Thom
2014-01-24 12:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
I've been able to get in a few short easy runs while on vacation and I'm happy to say that the heel is no worse than before, some days are worse than others, but no noticeable difference after running which makes me happy.
Enjoying my last few days in the nice weather in Northern Nevada before heading back to the cold wet Northeast, wish I could have brought some of that precip out west with me, it is sorely needed here! Never seen the Sierras so dry this time of year.
Heading up to Lake Tahoe today, a little motivation for my long term goal of Ironman Lake Tahoe in 2015.
2014-01-24 12:10 PM
in reply to: DaBen

Simsbury, CT
Any recommendations on bike trainers? I did even know those were an option, but it sounds like a safe, smart investment.Derek
Derek,I did a fair amt of research before buying. Kurt kinetic and CycleOps came consistently at the top for what I was looking to spent. I ended up with a cyclops jetfluid pro on sale at EMS in December. There are other less expensive units that have received great reviews. For me, a consistent power curve was important as I was planning on using trainerroads. Before buying, I would ask myself how am I going to use the unit. Do you think you can spent an hour or more indoors? Are you planning to use it as your primary means to train or to supplement? Thinking of using virtual power? Just some of the questions to consider.

2014-01-24 12:27 PM

Simsbury, CT
If the water conditions are wet suit legal I always wear one - for the exact reason Dan stated. Makes the swim much easier.
Last year at IM Texas the temp was above the 76.1 degrees which made wet suit athletes ineligible for podium positions. That was not a factor for me and decided to wear one. Proved to be a good decision as I came out of the water relatively fresh. Above 83.8 degrees, wetsuits become illegal in IM events. I am not sure I would wear one at those temps, at least not a full suit anyway. I have both, full and sleeveless suits (on sale at xterra.com) and much prefer the sleeveless because it is easier to get in/out of it and the unrestricted arm movement.
2014-01-24 12:38 PM

User image

Columbia, Missouri

BTW Derek, my daughter goes to school down the road from you in Fulton, William Woods University and her twin sister will be there next semester also.

That's awesome. I've lived in Mid-Missouri now for 5 1/2 years. Its a wonderful place to go to school. I haven't made my way over to Fulton yet, but my wife and I want to go to the Churchill museum. 

2014-01-24 12:41 PM

User image

Columbia, Missouri

A lot of great advice on the trainers! Thank you guys for the input. I asked around and found out one of my friends has a Kinetic he rarely uses, so I think I'm going to test it out a couple of months before spending the money on a new one.

Thank you all!

2014-01-24 12:51 PM
in reply to: DaBen

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Originally posted by DaBen

A lot of great advice on the trainers! Thank you guys for the input. I asked around and found out one of my friends has a Kinetic he rarely uses, so I think I'm going to test it out a couple of months before spending the money on a new one.

Thank you all!

Derek if you plan on using Trainer Road, which is great, you will also need a couple of other pieces if you want virtual power. A Ant+ speed and candence sensor and a Ant+ USB stick. I posted links to the 2 I use, there are many others. I prefer the Suunto Movestick because it is very small.
I find that Trainer Road makes my workouts so much better and not near as boring as just spinning on your own.

http://www.amazon.com/Wahoo-Fitness-Cadence-Sensor-iPhone/dp/B00478...

http://www.amazon.com/Suunto-Movestick-Mini/dp/B004YJS3LG/ref=pd_si...

As some one else said there are sooooo many Gizmos and toys!
Good luck
2014-01-25 10:54 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England
well i've had an eventful few days, after Fridays bike I noticed the back tyre was a little underflatted (its amazing how much of a difference it makes). I thought I would just put some air in and that would be that, ohh no life is just not that easy. I take my brand new bontrager pump off the bike and connect it when I hear the air coming out of the pump handle, so I know have a flat tyre and no pump to use. luckily I was due my first service on the bike this week so I drove the 45miles to the bike shop and have a chat to them there about my concerns for the bike. "from 3rd to 4th gear its very clunky never goes straight in", "the brakes are catching a little now"," I now have a flat tyre because my brand new pump leaks".

everything is now fixed 'fingers crossed' and I will be taking it out again tomorrow for 7 miles. while I was at the shop I picked up a beast of a pump to keep at home, i'm just glad that I didn't get a flat while I was out and about.

2014-01-25 1:07 PM
in reply to: Jynxy

User image

i'm just glad that I didn't get a flat while I was out and about.

Definitely good! Still haven't had a flat on the road yet. I'm sure it's just a matter of time, but glad you got it all worked out. Enjoy your riding!
2014-01-25 1:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
I will probably jinx myself, but I have never had a flat on my road bike

Hope everyone is having a Great weekend!
2014-01-25 6:44 PM

User image

I have a trainer. It's a Mag Trainer and was very inexpensive. I wasn't sure I'd like it. I do like it but for shorter time frame's. I am using it also to get used to gearing on my bike since my last bike was a 10 speed red one with flowers in like 1976 or so.

I had to share that tonight I did 400 yards of swimming. Took some breaks but that type of lap swim is not something I've ever done. I worked on my breathing over and over and over to get it right. I cannot believe how much more fun it is to swim when you don't hold your breath and think you are going to drown all the time! I'm quite sure my form is pathetic but the goal right now is to get comfy in the water and to get my breathing going. I am using the program from Swim Smooth for the Bambino type and it's working great so far. They recommended a pull buoy and I cannot express how great my 3 laps with that were. It was a revelation I'm serious. I never knew and now I feel like I'm addicted.

Since I am a jump in and do everything 1000% person I'm really trying to take things slow and enjoy the journey. I'm so happy to be part of this group!
2014-01-26 2:13 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England
Originally posted by AlexJouJou

I have a trainer. It's a Mag Trainer and was very inexpensive. I wasn't sure I'd like it. I do like it but for shorter time frame's. I am using it also to get used to gearing on my bike since my last bike was a 10 speed red one with flowers in like 1976 or so.

I had to share that tonight I did 400 yards of swimming. Took some breaks but that type of lap swim is not something I've ever done. I worked on my breathing over and over and over to get it right. I cannot believe how much more fun it is to swim when you don't hold your breath and think you are going to drown all the time! I'm quite sure my form is pathetic but the goal right now is to get comfy in the water and to get my breathing going. I am using the program from Swim Smooth for the Bambino type and it's working great so far. They recommended a pull buoy and I cannot express how great my 3 laps with that were. It was a revelation I'm serious. I never knew and now I feel like I'm addicted.

Since I am a jump in and do everything 1000% person I'm really trying to take things slow and enjoy the journey. I'm so happy to be part of this group!

ive only just started swimming again, I say 'again' I have never really swam just splashed about in the river. ive had 3 group sessions so far. the first one I had to stop every 5 foot because I wasn't breathing and by the end of the session I could swim 10 foot without having to stop. my second session I just concentrated on my breathing again and was given a pull buoy by a teammate and the difference was amazing I was able to swim consistently without stopping. my last session I continued with the pull buoy and was doing 50 metres a time with 30 second breaks I think I stopped maybe once or twice throughout my 22 laps.

I am swimming again on Tuesday and will be training with the pull buoy again but trying for consistent 100metre lengths with 30-60 seconds rests in between.
2014-01-26 8:24 AM

Hi Armando

When you mentioned netflix, did you mean for fun or for training? If for training let me know which videos in particular in order to look for them

This is beginning to shape like a very interesting and diverse group, between the newbies (like me) and the veterans, I am sure will help me keep motivated. Some very interesting life stories as well!

2014-01-26 8:28 AM
in reply to: Jynxy

User image

Originally posted by Jynxy

ive only just started swimming again, I say 'again' I have never really swam just splashed about in the river. ive had 3 group sessions so far. the first one I had to stop every 5 foot because I wasn't breathing and by the end of the session I could swim 10 foot without having to stop. my second session I just concentrated on my breathing again and was given a pull buoy by a teammate and the difference was amazing I was able to swim consistently without stopping. my last session I continued with the pull buoy and was doing 50 metres a time with 30 second breaks I think I stopped maybe once or twice throughout my 22 laps.

I am swimming again on Tuesday and will be training with the pull buoy again but trying for consistent 100metre lengths with 30-60 seconds rests in between.

Way to go!! It's such a great feeling. You're doing excellent! Hopefully we'll both be energized by the swimming part now that we are learning how to do it
2014-01-26 8:59 AM
in reply to: davert123

Ahhh, hate to say it, but am a ManU fan since they hired Chicharito, hopefully he trades clubs in this transfer window an we can all be friends! Lol
2014-01-26 9:34 AM
in reply to: davert123

Originally posted by davert123

Updated

Jan

Feb
Armando - Colchester 1/2 Marathon?

March:
Armando - O'Hartoford 5k

April
Armando - Middletown Legends 1/2 Marathon
Dave - Litchfield (UK) Sprint Triathlon

May
Armando - Ragnar Cape Cod - Ultra
Dan - Maine Coast Marathon
Luis - San Isidro Short Sprint (my first ever)

June Dan - White Mountain HIM
Thom - Boulder HIM
Thom - Ragnar Wasatch Back Ultra
Armando - Syracuse/Mont Tremblant 1/2 IM ?
Luis - Campestre Short Sprint ?

July
Thom - Boulder Peak Tri ?
Armando - IM Lake Placid

August
Thom - Boulder IM
Armando - Niantic bay tri - sprint ?
Dave - Kingsbury Waterpark (UK) Olympic distance tri
Luis - American Sport Club Short Sprint ?

Sept
Thom - Nations Tri ?
Thom - Ragnar - Napa Valley ?

Oct
Armando - Hartford Marathon
Luis - San Isidro Sprint

Nov Thom - Hits Lake Havasu Iron Distance

Dec

2014-01-26 9:38 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England
Who can guess what happened on my bike ride today?

DAN !!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » We Don't Just Tri - We Do (Season 2) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 15

RELATED POSTS

Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Fechter99
Views: 55520 Posts: 1444

2015-08-04 12:43 AM Go4gidget

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 37523 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.
date : October 12, 2004
author : robinskj
A busy, fat lady gets hooked on Tri's. You can too!

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.