BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 44

2015-02-03 12:57 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Open
Have been looking through this Mentoring group....have room for one more?

Bill

2015-02-03 1:44 PM
in reply to: #5078752

User image

Jen,
I'll look into that!! Thank you!! The swim definitely scares me so that might be my safest option ??. I'm in Morris, you?
Stephanie
2015-02-03 1:47 PM
in reply to: #5090154

User image

I first started with a 5k app by Clearsky which I really liked.
2015-02-03 2:55 PM
in reply to: Gnoory

User image

, Connecticut
Originally posted by Gnoory

Originally posted by Smiley9188

Originally posted by interspace8

Hi all,
Can someone explain why I should buy a front zip tri suit vs. a back zip, or vice versa. What are the pros and cons of each style?
Thanks!

Great question! I'm following this!
~c

A friend who is also attending the same triathlon as me sent me this after we discussed suits etc. Just so you know, this is NOT happening! (Except in my living room if my wife insists).

hahahahahahahahahhhh
2015-02-03 3:01 PM
in reply to: 2NewKnees

User image

, Connecticut
Originally posted by 2NewKnees

Bill

Bill, please join us! ~Colleen

uhh, Todd, is that ok that I just did that?

Welcome to the group everyone! This group is fun! and motivating!

2015-02-03 4:29 PM
in reply to: #5090156

User image

Southern Norway, Vest-Agder
Bill, Bill, Bill! :-)

I also started with a Couch 2 5k when I was only able to run one minute at a time. I remember the kick when managing 5k straight for the first time. Priceless!

Swimming done for today. From this week on there is no more fooling around. Lets get to work!

2015-02-03 8:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Bill

Sure we do Bill, Welcome to the Turtles! Tell us a little about you and your goals.
2015-02-03 8:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I also started with a Couch 2 5k when I was only able to run one minute at a time. I remember the kick when managing 5k straight for the first time. Priceless!

Swimming done for today. From this week on there is no more fooling around. Lets get to work!

There you go now with Bill there are 3 of us

Amen to getting after it. Work has been super crazy and so has life lately. So I'm sitting down after eating and thought I'm tired and frustrated I'll just skip tonight's run. I then almost immediately got off my butt, said hell no, went and ran 3 miles knowing I needed to and that it would easy the stress. Mission accomplished, let's get um Turtles.
2015-02-03 8:18 PM
in reply to: Smiley9188

User image

Extreme Veteran

Bill

Bill, please join us! ~Colleen

uhh, Todd, is that ok that I just did that?

Welcome to the group everyone! This group is fun! and motivating!

No problem, truth is with 21 applying we are still only around 10 active people, so we're still open for business. Honestly even when it's closed I don't like to turn people away who are trying to get a healthier and better lifestyle.
2015-02-04 12:26 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

, Connecticut
Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

There you go now with Bill there are 3 of us

Amen to getting after it. Work has been super crazy and so has life lately. So I'm sitting down after eating and thought I'm tired and frustrated I'll just skip tonight's run. I then almost immediately got off my butt, said hell no, went and ran 3 miles knowing I needed to and that it would easy the stress. Mission accomplished, let's get um Turtles.

YAY! Good job getting the run in! Don't listen to that devil on your shoulder! I need some advice with training!

So, a lot of the training guides are 12 weeks or 20 weeks etc. What happens if I have plans to do several tris this summer (i'm hoping for 4, maybe only 3). Which do I use as my 'race day'? I was thinking I'd do the first race (maybe early june) as my 'race day' and then after I do that, do the last 6 weeks of training again until my final race (late august)? Does that seem right?
2015-02-04 3:48 PM

User image

Hello and thanks for the invite!! I've been reading through most of the posts here and I guess it's time to provide a little more about me.

Name: Bill/2NewKnees

Story: While growing up I was involved with the typical activities like baseball, basketball, some football, and running track while in HS. Work schedules and family obligations limited my sporting activities (other than some softball) to some degree. Supporting our kids sporting events (football, wrestling, swimming) was much more important for us to concentrate on. I do miss those long road trips for one of those events and think back so fondly on them. Actually, we got to experience that again the past few falls as our oldest granddaughter is a cross country runner! I digress.....during one of those softball games about 15 years ago, I blew out my left knee; tore the ACL and cartilage. I did recover to play one more season but hung up the glove the next summer. As a part of my post ACL repair rehab, I did some light jogging. That eventually turned into more running on a regular basis. My daughter swam while in college and she encouraged me to join her for a 4 mile race. Her swim coach required the team to run the local event. I held off doing that her Freshman year but decided to give it a shot in her Soph year. Since she was close by we were able to train together. I was very nervous the day of my first event but finished it; so I began to run in similar races. My sons and I ran in several events over the years and my oldest convinced me to try a 1/2 Marathon with him in 2011; we trained together and successfully completed the distance (I sure felt my age after that!!); I remember being as nervous about that event as I was that first race with my daughter. Both my sons and I registered for the same event in 2012; ironically they both ended up injured and were unable to do the race; leaving their "old man" to run it by himself!! That 1/2 was the last stretch event I've been able to train for. My left knee had gotten so bad I had it replaced in Feb 2013; recovered from that, did a little bit of biking and walking but the right knee was also very damaged. I had my right one replaced in Sep 2013. Thus...my name...2New Knees )!! All of 2013 was a rehab year for me; last January I decided I needed to up my exercise schedule. We joined a local gym; I contacted a friend who is a Masters Swim Coach and he started me on my swimming activities. It's taken me a year to improve my stamina in the pool. We continued to ride bikes when weather permitted and was pretty consistent on walking. Having done many road races I missed being involved. So I decided if I'm going to work that hard at something, I might as well try to train for an event of some sort. So, as I mention below I've registered for a Sprint Triathlon in early May of this year. But, I will be walking the 5K portion of the event. Even though some folks who have had total knee replacements continue to run; I've made a decision not to do that; having been through that recovery twice, I'm not interested in having to go through knee replacement revision if I can keep from it.

Family Status: Retired; Happily married for 45 years (this coming November); 3 children, 2 sons and a daughter; 2 daughter in laws, 1 son in law; 4 grand kids; my wife and I exercise 5-6 days/week

Current Training: Swimming 3 times/week; Bike Trainer 3 times/week; Walking 3 times/week (Treadmill when weather doesn't cooperate) & Weight lifting 2 times/week

2014 Races: A local 5K fundraiser in May, 2014; I walked the event

2015 Races: Just registered for an early May Sprint Triathlon (400 meter swim-pool; 12 mile bike ride; 5K run(walk for me)...my goal is to complete in 2 hours)

Weight Loss: Since I was in rehab most of 2013 I gained some weight due to not being as active as I had been prior to my knee replacements. I've been able to drop a few pounds since I started my swimming in January 2014.

What Will Make Me a Good Mentee?: The fact that I want to complete an event like this and need additional insight on what to expect and manage that bit of nervousness that I experienced in those first races I mentioned in my story .

Well, that's about it.....I have the strange feeling I'm the "senior citizen" of this group......look forward to the support and learning this site has to provide.

My best to all!!

Bill

2015-02-04 4:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

So, a lot of the training guides are 12 weeks or 20 weeks etc. What happens if I have plans to do several tris this summer (i'm hoping for 4, maybe only 3). Which do I use as my 'race day'? I was thinking I'd do the first race (maybe early june) as my 'race day' and then after I do that, do the last 6 weeks of training again until my final race (late august)? Does that seem right?

Collen, you pretty much hit it on the head. The training plan you use first should culminate in you first race day. Everything after that is about maintenance and improvement. The purpose of the plan is to get you to race day happy, healthy, and prepared. After the first race, the next may be 3 weeks later and you might go back and redo the last three weeks. You may also decide to step it up between then and use just the last week leading in. I pretty much always used the last week of a plan before any race I did because the taper was usually just right for me. Like I said you will need / want to play around with it, but the biggest thing is to have the plan work up to and with you first race day for sure. The other thing about all of this is that after that first race day you may come out of it saying you need to bike, or swim, or run more, which in turn would make sense to gear your training a little more towards that discipline (maybe one less day of your most comfortable for one more day of that one) Hope this helps, if not let me know.
2015-02-04 9:50 PM
in reply to: steph325

User image

Des Plaines, Illinois
Originally posted by steph325

Jen,
I'll look into that!! Thank you!! The swim definitely scares me so that might be my safest option ??. I'm in Morris, you?
Stephanie

Stephanie, I'm in Des Plaines (near O'hare). Looks like Naperville is right between us. If you decide to do it maybe we could scope out the route some day. I've never been to Centenial Pool/Beach (it's a man made lake set up for pool usage. Not sure if they chlorinate...but it's not "lakey". One end is a "beach." You can Google Centenial Beach, Naperville for photos. It's totally not open water, but it won't be lap swimming either. Somewhere in between pool and open water if you know what I mean? Let me know what you decide :-)
2015-02-04 10:29 PM

User image

FortWayne, Indiana

Hello and thanks for the invite!! I've been reading through most of the posts here and I guess it's time to provide a little more about me.

Story: While growing up I was involved with the typical activities like baseball, basketball, some football, and running track while in HS. Work schedules and family obligations limited my sporting activities (other than some softball) to some degree. Supporting our kids sporting events (football, wrestling, swimming) was much more important for us to concentrate on. I do miss those long road trips for one of those events and think back so fondly on them. Actually, we got to experience that again the past few falls as our oldest granddaughter is a cross country runner! I digress.....during one of those softball games about 15 years ago, I blew out my left knee; tore the ACL and cartilage. I did recover to play one more season but hung up the glove the next summer. As a part of my post ACL repair rehab, I did some light jogging. That eventually turned into more running on a regular basis. My daughter swam while in college and she encouraged me to join her for a 4 mile race. Her swim coach required the team to run the local event. I held off doing that her Freshman year but decided to give it a shot in her Soph year. Since she was close by we were able to train together. I was very nervous the day of my first event but finished it; so I began to run in similar races. My sons and I ran in several events over the years and my oldest convinced me to try a 1/2 Marathon with him in 2011; we trained together and successfully completed the distance (I sure felt my age after that!!); I remember being as nervous about that event as I was that first race with my daughter. Both my sons and I registered for the same event in 2012; ironically they both ended up injured and were unable to do the race; leaving their "old man" to run it by himself!! That 1/2 was the last stretch event I've been able to train for. My left knee had gotten so bad I had it replaced in Feb 2013; recovered from that, did a little bit of biking and walking but the right knee was also very damaged. I had my right one replaced in Sep 2013. Thus...my name...2New Knees )!! All of 2013 was a rehab year for me; last January I decided I needed to up my exercise schedule. We joined a local gym; I contacted a friend who is a Masters Swim Coach and he started me on my swimming activities. It's taken me a year to improve my stamina in the pool. We continued to ride bikes when weather permitted and was pretty consistent on walking. Having done many road races I missed being involved. So I decided if I'm going to work that hard at something, I might as well try to train for an event of some sort. So, as I mention below I've registered for a Sprint Triathlon in early May of this year. But, I will be walking the 5K portion of the event. Even though some folks who have had total knee replacements continue to run; I've made a decision not to do that; having been through that recovery twice, I'm not interested in having to go through knee replacement revision if I can keep from it.

Family Status: Retired; Happily married for 45 years (this coming November); 3 children, 2 sons and a daughter; 2 daughter in laws, 1 son in law; 4 grand kids; my wife and I exercise 5-6 days/week

Current Training: Swimming 3 times/week; Bike Trainer 3 times/week; Walking 3 times/week (Treadmill when weather doesn't cooperate) & Weight lifting 2 times/week

2014 Races: A local 5K fundraiser in May, 2014; I walked the event

2015 Races: Just registered for an early May Sprint Triathlon (400 meter swim-pool; 12 mile bike ride; 5K run(walk for me)...my goal is to complete in 2 hours)

Weight Loss: Since I was in rehab most of 2013 I gained some weight due to not being as active as I had been prior to my knee replacements. I've been able to drop a few pounds since I started my swimming in January 2014.

What Will Make Me a Good Mentee?: The fact that I want to complete an event like this and need additional insight on what to expect and manage that bit of nervousness that I experienced in those first races I mentioned in my story .

Well, that's about it.....I have the strange feeling I'm the "senior citizen" of this group......look forward to the support and learning this site has to provide.

My best to all!!

Bill

Welcome to the Group!!
Suzie
2015-02-04 10:51 PM

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
Do you listen to music while you are training? When I ride on my bike trainer at home I always have music playing, otherwise it is kinda boring riding to no where. When I ride outside, I never listen to music since I want to make sure that I can hear any cars that are around me. It doesn't bother me to ride and not to listen to music, I'm ok with that. Running however is another issue. I have a hard time not listening to music when I run. I feel like I need that small distraction and the beat of the music to keep me going. I plan on running without music once I get back outside (too much snow for me) so that I can get used to it, but I am only planning on doing a 5k. What do you do to keep yourself going when doing the much longer Tri's that are 13.1 or even a marathon. How do you keep yourself going? I guess I know I need to find something to think about or a distraction but I'm having a hard time coming up with something. Is it just something that comes naturally or do you go into it with a plan?
2015-02-05 12:46 AM

User image

, Tennessee
Bill, Welcome to the group! Sounds as if you have an awesome base for starting your training. Stamina in the pool is something most of us are just trying to find and you are already there!

Suzie, I enjoy music when I am running as well. It just provides a great distraction from any discomfort and from the gasping for air! Of course, I have also had a few runs without music that I found totally mind clearing - especially depending on the setting of the run. If it's quiet and peaceful there is nothing like listening to the birds and the breeze during your run. I think I have read that most triathlons do not allow any earphones so I am sure being dependent on the music to get through is not a good thing.

Colleen, You are SO on the ball... can't believe you are already thinking about how to train after your first triathlon - but your question was great and I know it is one that I would have been thinking about myself further down the road. Do I remember reading you completed an indoor tri? I'm sure that was a great ice breaker for you. I haven't seen any of those in my area (southeast TN).

I registered for a Valentines Day 5K yesterday and a March 7th 8k. Hoping those two committments help keep my running on track for the next month. Will get to the pool tomorrow for just the second time. Considering trying the zero to mile training plan, but I am thinking I need a training plan before I start the training plan.

Michelle

2015-02-05 3:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

I find training without music really, really difficult -- I guess I hate hearing my own breathing!

One thing that I have found that increases the safety aspect is that I use a wireless bluetooth earpiece -- I've got one that is carried by WalMart and Costco that is supposedly one for telephone calls? Runs about $20-$25 -- This one also streams music -- and that way, I have one ear open to hear cars, or in my case, horses. If I'm training at home, I usually have it on when I ride my horse as well.

Not only can I hear the outside world better this way, but there are no cords dangling that will catch on something (I used to have an issue when I dismounted, my headphone cords would get caught on the saddle and get ripped out of my ears), and, in addition, it isn't obvious to someone observing you that you are listening to music. I try not to give notice to anyone that might be scary that they could count on me being distracted, if that makes sense?

It also allows me to access my phone if a call comes in without fumbling for the phone -- I can just push the button on the earpiece if I want/need to take the call. This comes in handy if my husband is worried about me on horse or bike -- even with my phone on silent, the earpiece lets me know who is calling. Just some extra peace of mind. =)

Now, what I'm going to do in an actual event where no music or electronic devices are allowed? Not sure -- I might have to sing to entertain myself )(and send all other competitors away from me in fright!)

Libby

Edited by libbyfhenderson 2015-02-05 4:08 PM
2015-02-05 4:06 PM
in reply to: libbyfhenderson

User image

Maybe it's because I'm not running in a very urban environment, but I never listen to music when I run.

At lot of the roads I travel are almost free of cars, and now in the winter there is no lightning so I can run in almost totalt darkness or on a starlit path before me. I love i! So much of my everyday life is full of sounds, sights, impressions, noise, nagging, work, impulses - so running with just the mind and body is very relaxing I find. It's a timeout from everything else in the fast paced life with kids, work, house and what-nots.

The only exception is once in a while on the long runs over an hour, that I listen to a podcast of some sort. But I often feel it takes away the "feel" of the run, and I'm more disconnected with the running that I'm actually doing.

But again, people say that music can increase performance so maybe I'm missing out on something? :-)

2015-02-05 6:59 PM
in reply to: #5078752

User image

, Connecticut
Holy sh@t this is about to get real! My local bike shop that I've been stalking is having a sale and if the bike is still there tomorrow I'm buying a bike tomorrow!!! This is a huge committment for me. This is more of a committment than registering for a race. Yikes! And hell yeah!

Michelle, go you! Registering for races seems to make this more "real" (well, as does buying a bike). Good for you! Keep up the great work!
2015-02-05 8:35 PM

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
Originally posted by libbyfhenderson

I find training without music really, really difficult -- I guess I hate hearing my own breathing!

One thing that I have found that increases the safety aspect is that I use a wireless bluetooth earpiece -- I've got one that is carried by WalMart and Costco that is supposedly one for telephone calls? Runs about $20-$25 -- This one also streams music -- and that way, I have one ear open to hear cars, or in my case, horses. If I'm training at home, I usually have it on when I ride my horse as well.

Not only can I hear the outside world better this way, but there are no cords dangling that will catch on something (I used to have an issue when I dismounted, my headphone cords would get caught on the saddle and get ripped out of my ears), and, in addition, it isn't obvious to someone observing you that you are listening to music. I try not to give notice to anyone that might be scary that they could count on me being distracted, if that makes sense?

It also allows me to access my phone if a call comes in without fumbling for the phone -- I can just push the button on the earpiece if I want/need to take the call. This comes in handy if my husband is worried about me on horse or bike -- even with my phone on silent, the earpiece lets me know who is calling. Just some extra peace of mind. =)

Now, what I'm going to do in an actual event where no music or electronic devices are allowed? Not sure -- I might have to sing to entertain myself )(and send all other competitors away from me in fright!)

Libby

I agree with you Libby, I hate hearing myself breathing!! I always sound like I'm dying, lol!! I did a Sprint Tri last year and even though it was a 5k run, I still found it really hard for me to run without music I have to really work on this!

Edited by Suzie471 2015-02-05 8:40 PM
2015-02-05 8:36 PM

User image

FortWayne, Indiana

Holy sh@t this is about to get real! My local bike shop that I've been stalking is having a sale and if the bike is still there tomorrow I'm buying a bike tomorrow!!! This is a huge committment for me. This is more of a committment than registering for a race. Yikes! And hell yeah!

Michelle, go you! Registering for races seems to make this more "real" (well, as does buying a bike). Good for you! Keep up the great work!

Good for you!! Buy the bike, you will Love it!!

2015-02-05 8:38 PM

User image

FortWayne, Indiana

Maybe it's because I'm not running in a very urban environment, but I never listen to music when I run.

At lot of the roads I travel are almost free of cars, and now in the winter there is no lightning so I can run in almost totalt darkness or on a starlit path before me. I love i! So much of my everyday life is full of sounds, sights, impressions, noise, nagging, work, impulses - so running with just the mind and body is very relaxing I find. It's a timeout from everything else in the fast paced life with kids, work, house and what-nots.

The only exception is once in a while on the long runs over an hour, that I listen to a podcast of some sort. But I often feel it takes away the "feel" of the run, and I'm more disconnected with the running that I'm actually doing.

But again, people say that music can increase performance so maybe I'm missing out on something? :-)

Wow! It sounds like you live in the prefect area for running!! JEALOUS

Edited by Suzie471 2015-02-05 8:39 PM
2015-02-05 8:45 PM
in reply to: Gabby'smom

User image

FortWayne, Indiana
Originally posted by Gabby'smom

Bill, Welcome to the group! Sounds as if you have an awesome base for starting your training. Stamina in the pool is something most of us are just trying to find and you are already there!

Suzie, I enjoy music when I am running as well. It just provides a great distraction from any discomfort and from the gasping for air! Of course, I have also had a few runs without music that I found totally mind clearing - especially depending on the setting of the run. If it's quiet and peaceful there is nothing like listening to the birds and the breeze during your run. I think I have read that most triathlons do not allow any earphones so I am sure being dependent on the music to get through is not a good thing.

Colleen, You are SO on the ball... can't believe you are already thinking about how to train after your first triathlon - but your question was great and I know it is one that I would have been thinking about myself further down the road. Do I remember reading you completed an indoor tri? I'm sure that was a great ice breaker for you. I haven't seen any of those in my area (southeast TN).

I registered for a Valentines Day 5K yesterday and a March 7th 8k. Hoping those two committments help keep my running on track for the next month. Will get to the pool tomorrow for just the second time. Considering trying the zero to mile training plan, but I am thinking I need a training plan before I start the training plan.

Michelle

Michelle: I wish I lived in an area that was peaceful for running. I'm hoping when the weather gets better to do some trail running where I can actually enjoy my surroundings without music
2015-02-06 5:04 AM

User image

GOGOGO! Let's get this party going! I've ordered mine, just waiting for it to get in stock.
2015-02-06 6:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

• My best to all!!

Bill

Bill, welcome again to the group and what a story of not making excuses and continuing to live your life. I understand your comment about walking the 5K portion and not wanting to damage what is now working, especially after going through it twice. I was thinking as I was reading to that point, can you run and do so pain free with replaces, and if so what kind of damage could he do. You make the event what it needs to be for you and the heck with anyone else and what they think. Trust me you will have plenty of people walking with you who have two good knees and legs that just underestimated the course or have limitations (so to speak) of their own. Again Welcome
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 4 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 44

RELATED POSTS

Successful Triathlon Training, by Fred D - OPEN

Started by Fred D
    Views: 1142 Posts: 2

2015-01-21 6:28 AM juanjaramillo

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
    RELATED ARTICLES
    date : September 8, 2008
    author : pjwalzphd
    comments : 2
    When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : March 6, 2008
    author : scubachic9999
    comments : 4
    Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.
    date : October 30, 2005
    author : acbadger
    comments : 0
    First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.

date : September 26, 2004
    author : jhealy422
    For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
    date : August 29, 2004
    author : Ron
    Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.

comments : 12
    This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
    This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.