BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2007-01-22 5:41 AM
in reply to: #662747

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Subject: RE: Prof40's Group -- Technically full but you can still sneak in...
BigGirlTri-ing - 2007-01-21 10:01 PM

Did my own run today and not the race becasue of personal medical appt. So I did my own run in order to make my personal goal of 10 miles in 1 week. Took longer than I wanted due to snow. Anyway, I may take a dive in this challane. I have to take a rest day, I have worked out for 6 days in a row, rest is needed.
I am glad I am on this team, full of stong dedicated athletes.

Nice job on your 10-mile week!

Enjoy your day off. You deserve it, and your body needs it. I have a feeling you'll be coming on strong soon, though.

2007-01-22 5:48 AM
in reply to: #662788

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
jamesmakinson - 2007-01-21 10:58 PM

BGT, congrats on the 10 miles. That's a big achievement.

Ya'll are all going to whip me on the assignment as I have yet to start. Unfortunatly it will have to wait until tuesday. Tomorrow is my third of three shifts and I don't forsee a long workout. Anyway, keep truckin' and I'll play catchup soon.

Jimbo the Great

Catch-up is fine, but who said it had to be a long workout? The goal is to just get you moving. A one-mile run counts just as equally as a 10-mile run.

But don't worry, I know all about long or odd work schedules. That was me last week -- Mon and Tues I did nothing, and the only reason I salvaged Wed was because a morning meeting was rescheduled. Add your family committments, and sleep, and well -- life happens. But something is better than nothing, even if its just 10 push-ups before bed.

Hang in there.
2007-01-22 6:03 AM
in reply to: #662893

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Mark Stanley - 2007-01-22 6:03 AM

Hi from across the pond.

Firstly, I cannot get to a computer over the weekend so I only talk to you when I should be working!

Secondly, having read the challenge I went for it big time on Saturday. Somewhat perplexed with the "brick" thing but what the heck, if prof is a bit Mr Miyagi with the training, that's fine by me.

Having reread the challenge post I realise that "bricks" are a way of training back to back with other exercises.

Still, I built a nice retaining wall for the rockery.

Cycled into work this morning; twenty two and half miles. It took an hour and half. Only disadvantage is that I have to cycle home and it's just started to rain horizontally. Nice.

Jimbo, you mention that your wife has a "hard time understanding why I would ever want to do a tri." and that "she doesn't understand my passion for getting in shape and completing a triathlon".

My other half, the girlfriend formerly known as Satan, couldn't get her head round me taking time that I otherwise could spend being told what to do by her, running, cycling and swimming. In time she came round and suggested at the weekend that we took a flat in Monte Carlo so that the whole family could be there to "watch me give up" (she still has a little way to go methinks!). Change is sometimes harder for those who aren't changing. You got the bug, she didn't. Give her time and she'll, as likely as not, come round.

Soon enough you may get her interested enough to tell you exactly what you're doing wrong with your training although, if she's anything like Satan, she won't want ot humiliate you completely by telling you how to do it better.

I'm impressed with everyones committment thus far. I'm planning to repeat the cycling thing a couple of times, run most lunchtimes and get in the pool twice (ever seen a whale in a pair of speedos? Tadcaster pool, 12.30 tomorrow if you need to tick that box in your list of a hundred things to see before you die list) and then, next week I'm off to India with work. Staying in a gazillion star hotel so I will have someone to do my workouts for me so prof, bring it on!

Toodle pip chaps.

Ah, Mr. Miyagi -- now there's an 80s reference for you!

Just wait for Satan to figure out she can follow your race progress on the internet. She'll be able to record your every movement so she can critique you at the end of the day. You lucky duck.

After I did mine, a co-worker asked me how well I placed. "I don't really know," I said, "maybe 1200th?"

He looked at me seriously, and in a gentle tone, replied, "Well, maybe you'll do better next time."

I'm not sure of the proper use of the term "wanker." Did it apply there?

So 12:30 your time tomorrow is 7:30am mine. I shall add you to the VCR list. Enjoy your swim!
2007-01-22 6:09 AM
in reply to: #640246

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Well, the caffeine is coursing through my bloodstream, the headache is gone, and I guess it's time to start my day. (Dramatic but invigorating background music swells to crescendo, and in a clear, strong whisper -- dont want to wake the wife -- I pronounce) "To the bike trainer!"

Have a great day.
2007-01-22 6:27 AM

User image

HEY TEAM WELL I looked up the distances for the tri that i plan on doing and im thinkin im in stife!!! its 1500m / 40km / 10km - Olympic Distance its in october... So now im questioning myself is it too much is it like pushing S%^t up hill with a stick?? what does my team reckon???

also what sort of times am i looking at for my bike im using a gym bike at the moment and today i did 20kms in 42mins 44 secs what should i be getting it to?

cheers and beers
malphh!
2007-01-22 6:28 AM
in reply to: #662893

User image

Mark Stanley - 2007-01-22 6:03 AM

Hi from across the pond.

Firstly, I cannot get to a computer over the weekend so I only talk to you when I should be working!

Secondly, having read the challenge I went for it big time on Saturday. Somewhat perplexed with the "brick" thing but what the heck, if prof is a bit Mr Miyagi with the training, that's fine by me.

Having reread the challenge post I realise that "bricks" are a way of training back to back with other exercises.

• Whew I thought we lost you over the weekend but I guess not everyong has high speed home internet....

BRICKS stand for Bike Run back-to-back and as you remember from your tri it is a good thing to practice because the legs aren't happy at adjusting to the sudden change of muscle groups from the transition.

Strong work....I am playing catch up like Jimbo as I was doing a 24h shift yesterday.

2007-01-22 8:10 AM
    in reply to: #662908

User image

Veteran
    Hong Kong
    prof40 - 2007-01-22 12:03 PM

After I did mine, a co-worker asked me how well I placed. "I don't really know," I said, "maybe 1200th?"

He looked at me seriously, and in a gentle tone, replied, "Well, maybe you'll do better next time."

I'm not sure of the proper use of the term "wanker." Did it apply there?

Just by way of an aside, my boss did his first IronMan a couple of years ago. Were his collegues (me included) impressed with his ability to swim 2.4 miles in open water? No. With his speed over the bike course? Not one jot. With his resilience at running a marathon after 112 miles on the bike? Not in the slightest.

For about two months we remorselessly took the . Because he was beaten. By a nun.

He showed us that the correct use of the word "wanker" is exactly in these circumstances and we, on reflection, deserved every utterance.

He's now on his tenth IronMan and every time he goes is advised to watch out for the nun. For some reason he doesn't find this funny!

Anyway, just got back from the gym after 40 minutes on the treadmill preceded by 40 mins on the bike.

Lost two pounds this last week so I guess that if you eat less and exercise more, the weight comes off. You heard it here first people. This may catch on!
    2007-01-22 9:36 PM

User image

Expert
    Okay, did 3 miles run, 2.5 miles bike (I know, whimpy, but I'm tired tonight and the kids are bugging me), 15 minute "swim" and I'm working on getting lessons--playing phone tag with a fellow from the Y who teaches lessons. So, that's 6. See you early in the morning
    2007-01-23 4:40 AM
    in reply to: #664180

User image

Expert
    , District of Columbia
    phoenixrising404 - 2007-01-22 10:36 PM

Okay, did 3 miles run, 2.5 miles bike (I know, whimpy, but I'm tired tonight and the kids are bugging me), 15 minute "swim" and I'm working on getting lessons--playing phone tag with a fellow from the Y who teaches lessons. So, that's 6. See you early in the morning

I'm disqualifying any "swim" that doesn't actually involve putting on a swimsuit, wearing it about in public, and getting wet. Sorry. Judge's ruling is final. You're back to 5. And, it appears, still in the lead.

I'm at 3 in our challenge. With some luck, I'll do 2 more today, but only if my afternoon schedule miraculously clears up.

Edited by prof40 2007-01-23 4:53 AM
    2007-01-23 4:45 AM
    in reply to: #662986

User image

Expert
    , District of Columbia
    Mark Stanley - 2007-01-22 9:10 AM

Anyway, just got back from the gym after 40 minutes on the treadmill preceded by 40 mins on the bike.

Lost two pounds this last week so I guess that if you eat less and exercise more, the weight comes off. You heard it here first people. This may catch on!

Hmmm, someone is showing some gusto! Nice job today.

And don't tell too many people that diet and exercise secret. Coca Cola just released a diet water, and as a stockholder, I really want it to be successful. I mean, imagine that -- a drink that has no calories, no fat, and no sugar. What will they come up with next?
    2007-01-23 4:59 AM
    in reply to: #662911

User image

Expert
    , District of Columbia
    Malphh - 2007-01-22 7:27 AM

HEY TEAM WELL I looked up the distances for the tri that i plan on doing and im thinkin im in stife!!! its 1500m / 40km / 10km - Olympic Distance its in october... So now im questioning myself is it too much is it like pushing S%^t up hill with a stick?? what does my team reckon???

also what sort of times am i looking at for my bike im using a gym bike at the moment and today i did 20kms in 42mins 44 secs what should i be getting it to?

cheers and beers
    malphh!

With 9 months to train, it will be more like pushing it down hill and watching it roll to the bottom.

Okay, Mr. Olympian, sounds like you need to go bike shopping and get out on the road. And I'm predicting a 3-hour race for you, with 20 minutes on either end depending on how you're feeling race day. Sound good?

9 months....you can do a lot of things in 9 months. Have a baby. Build a house. Become a triathlete. The possibilities are endless.

2007-01-23 5:21 AM

User image

Veteran
    Hong Kong
    Cycled in again today. Do I get extra points for twenty odd miles in driving (for the UK) snow?!

Everyone else seems to be cracking on well. It's good to be part of a team that doesn't whine or winge although I guess there's plenty of time for that!

2007-01-23 5:45 AM

User image

Rode 10kms and ran 1km back to back today legs feeling pretty tired i also play 3 games of footy a week plan to get more distance in the future want to hit the pool tomorrow,,, for all of you in winter picture this 34deg celcius outside purfect weather..... enjoy!
    malph
    2007-01-23 6:53 AM

User image

Expert
    See what I get for honesty? Well, add a run this morning, 2.5 miles. I'm running late this morning, but now it looks like a quick bike is the only way. I'm really competitive, guys. And I really try hard to do what I say I will. Okay, back down for more sweat. Prof, I think I'll start calling you "Boss" like in Million Dollar Baby.
    2007-01-23 7:15 AM

User image

Expert
    bike 5miles. That's it
    2007-01-23 9:00 AM

User image

Minneapolis
    WOW you guys are kicking up dust, I have let go of this challange and will accept whatever fate comes my way.

Unrelated question. so when I go look at other peoples logs, their calendar boxes have some great colors or effects, what do all those colors mean? I can not find the pattern even in my own calendar. I think white means no exerise, but yellow means logged but no exersise, and green means race day. But when I go look others that pattren does not follow? Small mystery but it is all I have to contribute to the group.
    BGT- trying to play hookey from work and If I can arrange it me life for one day.

2007-01-23 3:54 PM

User image

Expert
    , District of Columbia
    Ok, I'm at 4 for the week, and with luck (big luck), I might hit 7 by Thursday morning.

How's everyone else coming?
    2007-01-23 4:20 PM

User image

Expert
    By my count I got the 7 today with the bike and the run this morning. Even with the no count of the boxing swim yesterday. Don't know what I'll make you all do next week, yet, but I won't be too vicious
    2007-01-23 5:19 PM

To my own dismay, I have been trying to stay off this leg. The past two days I've done an aerobics class, an abs class and a step class. Thankfully they seem to be keeping me on my toes and not so crabby about being stuck on the bench.

I am also fortunate to be taking a weight training class this semester. It only meets twice a week, but my professor is one of my boyfriend's baseball coaches, which whom I babysit for occasionally. I told him about my training program and he said, "Just do your training. You don't have to follow the class' routine" Wooooohoooo! That makes me happy! I'll have at least 50 minutes two times a week to devote solely to training. Then I can stay after class and continue working out, seeing as it is my last class of the day to finish up my routine.

But speaking of classes, this semester is going to be a tough one. I'm questioning the time I will have later in the semester, but starting now will hopefully give me the boost to continue throughout the semester.... ahhhhh, school
    2007-01-23 7:53 PM

User image

I feel for you Jeng! After I did my brick on sunday, my hip started to hurt and by the end of my insanely busy shift in the ER that day, I was limping. So I decided to swim yesterday and even though I was dying to run today, I made myself get on the bike trainer. Im at 4 events then for the week. I really have a hard time on the bike trainer though, despite listening to the podcast of my fav show "This American Life". I get ancey (sp?) and uncomfortable quickly. I have tryed numerous bike seats and thought I found the best so far. Its not as bad when I ride outside, obviously it feels like Im going somewhere, but cycling is still my least favorite leg of tri's no matter how beautiful the scenery is. I have a great bike now too, so its a little better because the ride is smoother. Anybody have any suggestions on how I can learn to love riding? Maybe its just i have never spent enough time training, and the better I get the more enjoyable it will be?
    Oh- I give props to Mark for riding in the snow. Have fun in India and bring us all souvenirs! I have always wanted to go to India!
    2007-01-23 8:45 PM

User image

Expert
    Hi Liz, I have the same problem with bike seats. I put money down on a Trek that looks like a tri bike, but is more of a modified road bike, I guess. I don't know, it looked just like the real tri bikes to me. Anyway, the only seat I have ever been able to tolerate is this ischial support type thing. And I love it. I'm seriously thinking of making the bike shop guys put it on the new bike. They will laugh at me, but I don't care. I'm practicing with my elbows on the mountain bike at times, and I think the seat will work. It's not the typical thing, but I don't care. I 'm the one who has to perch on the thing and not have my legs go numb. The narrow seats are not made for real women with wider pelvises. Mine birthed three kids. The bored thing indoors is my problem, too. I just try to vary the music and get into it that way. I need to download some new stuff, though. Anyone know the perfect bike music? Maybe we should all try to do more biking next time? If we make eachother do it, it will help. I finally heard from the Y guy and he is going to set me up with a woman instructor to work with me on the swim. I 'm just so far from the master's classes he was suggesting at first. But, I'm determined. Thanks for pushing me to do it the right way!

2007-01-24 4:15 AM
    in reply to: #665402

User image

Expert
    , District of Columbia
    phoenixrising404 - 2007-01-23 5:20 PM

By my count I got the 7 today with the bike and the run this morning. Even with the no count of the boxing swim yesterday. Don't know what I'll make you all do next week, yet, but I won't be too vicious

WE HAVE A WINNER!

Congratulations -- 7 sports in 3 days. How's your body feel?

Post your challenge by Saturday so we can start Sunday morning.
    2007-01-24 9:20 PM

User image

Minneapolis
    okay we got a winner, but I think we still need to be reporting until we get to our 7. The challange was to do a combo of the 7 sets of tri exersies. I am up to 3 and proud. I worked out tonight. I want to be clear I HATE THE Y AT NIGHT! but I did it so I would not have to do two days of bicks and even thougt I did not do the challange in record time ( 3 days), I want the satifaction of knowing I can complete whatever Prof or one of team mates puts out.
    Ummm can anyone spell projection.
    I just realized my club has a running club on Thursday mornings, they leave at 5:45 AM!!! I will not be going tommrow but I will try to join them soon! Have a goodnight. BGT
    2007-01-25 6:22 AM

User image

did bike andd run today not too far 12.2 km bike ran 1.2km leg is sore not doin anything tommoorw is australia day! sitting in the pool sinking plenty of beers. low carb beers that is

have a good 1 all
    cheers and beers
    malphh
    2007-01-25 7:34 PM

User image

Expert
    Hi everyone! First off, I just want to tell you all how much I enjoy your postings. This is a lively and interesting bunch we have here! You all make me smile I've been scratching my head trying to think what to suggest as a challenge for the next week. Sounds like some of us are in a bit of a rut, or sort of bored with indoor stuff, or feeling rather unsupported with sig. others and having difficulty balancing work and training. I'm feeling all that, too. But the more people I talk to who do these things--tri's, marathons, ironmans, duathlons--the more I hear the same things. They suggest strengthening the core muscles and getting the cardiovascular going. So, how bout we try for at least 2 sessions of weight training focusing on core muscles. You can do situps, pushups and wall squats if you can't make it to a gym or have no special equipment. Second, let's try for 4 sessions of at least one hour duration doing absolutely whatever sport you want--snowshoeing, skiing, basketball, running/jogging, swimming or water exercise, biking, yoga, boxing, or even dancing--anything that you love doing and can do continuously for at least one hour 4 times this week. This should lay down more capillaries and get us into fat burning mode. Just don't push hard with it and enjoy it! I think we should rename "working out" , "playing out". This is supposed to be fun and fulfilling, not more work.
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  

of 72