Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2007-06-15 2:15 PM
in reply to: #845096

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - FULL
Carol,

You'd think they could figure out what needs doing before they start, huh? A part of me is just hoping the tooth will fall out when they try to pull off the temp crown ... well, not really.

As to the short stick, I did mean the run. My baby sister gets to kayak, since she owns one. The middle sister gets to cycle since she's really good at it. I get to run because no one wants to!

Sounds like you're raring to go for the 24th! I had a really hard time tapering for last Saturday, but I'm sure it made the race much better for me. It was almost easy, really. I already wish I had gone faster, but I didn't want to crawl across the finish, if you know what I mean! I did short bricks every other day the last week or so, with an easy swim on the last day before. I was hungry for a workout by that time, and I got it!

Trish

2007-06-15 3:27 PM
in reply to: #800275

User image

Regular

Your biking is outstanding. I would focus on OWS (I know you are already doing this) and your run. I need to know what you goal times are for each event to be more specific. But I think some track work running your goal pace is in order (during the next 2 weeks). Some of that could be combined with biking in order to get a short but intense brick workout in.

You have been racking up huge miles/hours. Your biggest challenge may be reigning it in during that last week during the taper.

Fine tune the nutrition and transition plan....need any input there?

Thanks for the kind words about my cycling. It's always been my strength.

I've been doing a decent amount of OWS, but I think I can work on my speed at race distance. I tend to go out and swim 2 miles at 25min/mile type pace, when the Carlsbad race is only 1000 meters. I'll take your advice and do some OW intervals/accelerations and tempo swims over the next few weeks.

My runs are almost only distance...ususally 5-8 miles at 9-10 min/mile pace. Again, I'll heed your advice and work on some faster tempo runs at the 5k distance. There is a track workout at Carlsbad High School on Tuesday nights I think, so maybe I'll drop by there and get some run coaching. I think it's run by SDTC.

I'll definitely work in some bricks, especially the bike/run brick. My challenge is not leaving it all on the bike and not having anything left for my weaker run.

My nutrition is ok, or won't be changing much. I've lost 100lbs now over the last year, so I likely won't be toying with that part - at least not right now. If you're talking about race nutrition, probably only a gel after a few minutes on the bike and I usually run with Cytomax in my bottle.

My transitions could use some work. I finally got a chance to look at my splits from the Encinitas Triathlon and updated my race report if you want to check it out. There is certainly room for improvement in that area. I could likely shave a minute off each transition, and thus my finish time.

I know I could save a minute if I didn't wear socks on the run. I always wrestle with shoving my sweaty foot into a sock after the bike and ride barefoot with no problem. I've been meaning to try it out on a practice run to see how my shoes/bare feet mix.

Any other input would be great!

Thanks Danny!

2007-06-15 4:09 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Bubba, did you say you lost 100lbs over the last year???!!! Yowser, that's amazing! You are a ROCK STAR!!! The rate you are going you will be on the podium very soon - WOOHOO!
2007-06-15 5:29 PM
in reply to: #846474

User image

Regular

Yeh, 100 lbs. It's crazy. I have some before/after pics below for your amusement.

Before... Duh!

FAT

and AFTER....

THIN

By the way, my wife lost 65 lbs during that same year. We're 165lbs less between the pair of us.

Thank you for the kind words!

2007-06-15 10:55 PM

User image

Veteran
You both totally rock!
2007-06-20 11:04 PM

User image

Regular
Corona, California

Hello Everyone,

Hope everyone is having a great week.

I got a great remedy for dizziness while swimming from you guys, so I am challenging you again. For what ever reason, I can't seem to get my kick and my stroke to work together.  If I focus on my kicking while doing arm strokes, it throughs me off and vice a versa. Is there a drill to do that will help with, something with a kickboard????

Thanks in advance,

2007-06-20 11:06 PM

User image

Regular
Corona, California

Bubba,

Your before and after pictures are incredible. What an accomplishment by you and your wife.

2007-06-21 2:46 PM
in reply to: #846396

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
bubba76819 - 2007-06-15 1:27 PM

Your biking is outstanding. I would focus on OWS (I know you are already doing this) and your run. I need to know what you goal times are for each event to be more specific. But I think some track work running your goal pace is in order (during the next 2 weeks). Some of that could be combined with biking in order to get a short but intense brick workout in.

You have been racking up huge miles/hours. Your biggest challenge may be reigning it in during that last week during the taper.

Fine tune the nutrition and transition plan....need any input there?

Thanks for the kind words about my cycling. It's always been my strength.

I've been doing a decent amount of OWS, but I think I can work on my speed at race distance. I tend to go out and swim 2 miles at 25min/mile type pace, when the Carlsbad race is only 1000 meters. I'll take your advice and do some OW intervals/accelerations and tempo swims over the next few weeks.

My runs are almost only distance...ususally 5-8 miles at 9-10 min/mile pace. Again, I'll heed your advice and work on some faster tempo runs at the 5k distance. There is a track workout at Carlsbad High School on Tuesday nights I think, so maybe I'll drop by there and get some run coaching. I think it's run by SDTC.

I'll definitely work in some bricks, especially the bike/run brick. My challenge is not leaving it all on the bike and not having anything left for my weaker run.

My nutrition is ok, or won't be changing much. I've lost 100lbs now over the last year, so I likely won't be toying with that part - at least not right now. If you're talking about race nutrition, probably only a gel after a few minutes on the bike and I usually run with Cytomax in my bottle.

My transitions could use some work. I finally got a chance to look at my splits from the Encinitas Triathlon and updated my race report if you want to check it out. There is certainly room for improvement in that area. I could likely shave a minute off each transition, and thus my finish time.

I know I could save a minute if I didn't wear socks on the run. I always wrestle with shoving my sweaty foot into a sock after the bike and ride barefoot with no problem. I've been meaning to try it out on a practice run to see how my shoes/bare feet mix.

Any other input would be great!

Thanks Danny!

Yes, let's speed up your transitions:

- have your singlet on underneath your wetsuit.
- practice removing wetsuit technique. How long does this take you?
- lets skip the socks for the bike and run (practice this for a couple weeks minimum to build up any calluses if needed).
- forget sunglasses, gloves, HR monitor or anything non-essential.
- get some Yankz or similar shoe laces for quick shoe change in T2.
- practice for transitions at home. Time your self. Do it at max HR and see where you struggle (and make a home video of it for laughs!).
- for extra fun practice leaving your bike shoes clipped in bike for mount/dismount (this is risky if you are not used to this - and there is opportunity for all sorts of problems, but can be a time saver).

Also,

- practice running a course similar to Carlsbad's layout. You are running uphill the last half mile.
- continue to practice your OWS on even the crappiest days (preferably at Carlsbad). The only time I did that race, the water conditions were ridiculous and I was out there along time.

Nutrition:

On this short course, its not so much of an issue. Personally, the Cytomax is too acidic for me and seems to foam up in the bottle on the run (causing bloat problems). You'll probably get more results from resting super good the last 3 days befor ethe race, than trying to do much different on the nutrition.

Danny

2007-06-21 3:19 PM
in reply to: #853591

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
JBHGary - 2007-06-20 9:04 PM

Hello Everyone,

Hope everyone is having a great week.

I got a great remedy for dizziness while swimming from you guys, so I am challenging you again. For what ever reason, I can't seem to get my kick and my stroke to work together. If I focus on my kicking while doing arm strokes, it throughs me off and vice a versa. Is there a drill to do that will help with, something with a kickboard????

Thanks in advance,

Try this:

Do 2 TI (Total Immersion) drills:

1) Without using a kickboard, do a freestyle kicking drill for 25 yards at a time. You should be in position where you are on your side, with one arm (the one on the side further underwater) in the extended forward position. The other arm is flat against your side, with your palm against your hip. Kick for at least 6 beats, and then rotate to the opposite side and repeat. Continue this alternating position for the entire length of the lap. When you are on your side, tuck your lower ear against your shoulder to reduce drag. Breath when you alternate sides. When you begin to alternate, concentrate on beginning the process with a hip turn. This is where you get power from. The arm movement follows the hip rotation. If you get this out of order, it is super hard to connect your arm and kick rhythm. As the make this hip rotation, begin pulling with your extended arm. As you do so,  bring the other arm forward, make your entry, reach, glide, and end up in the side position (take a quick breath when your rear arm is finishing its pull).

You should be able to exaggerate the leading hip rotation and as the rear arm comes forward; it should almost feel like it is springing forward to the reach position.

2) DPS (Distance Per Stroke) drill.

Swim 25 yards normally, and count your strokes. Repeat the process while trying to finish in fewer strokes. Your swimming arm stroke movement is: entry, reach, catch, pull.

The idea is to incorporate 2 things from the 1st drill:
a) lead with the hip and then connect/follow with the arms
b) reach, glide, and lengthen your stroke (and swim efficiently).

If you ever swang on the rings when you were akid on the playground, you would experience a similar "whiplash" effect. When you are holding onto two rings, you are facing sideways. You would let go of the rear ring, twist your hips as you moved forward, rotate sides, and take a long reach toward the other ring until you hit that peach poing where you were again holding onto 2 rings.

If that makes sense at all, try to establish the same kind of rhythm/cadence when you do this DPS drill.

Kick, rotate hips, pull with extended arm, reach with rear arm, finish the rotation, and glide.

Try to doing a few sets of drill one, then follow with drill 2.   Follow that up with some regular freestyle and try incorporate the same movements into your stroke.

Let me know how it works for you.

Danny

2007-06-21 5:57 PM

User image

Regular

Thanks Danny, good stuff - all of it.

I currently use a tri-suit and have it on.  I'm pretty quick at the getting the suit off as it's too big (had it before I lost the 100 lbs!).  I'll work on the no socks thing though and speeding up anything else I can.  I don't usually carry a drink on a run in a tri (sprint distance), I'll just drink on the bike and come off with nothing.  Is that last 25 minutes without a drink a bad idea?   

2007-06-22 5:12 PM

User image

Regular
Corona, California

Hey Danny,

Thanks for the drills. The first one really helps sync the kick and stroke. It also shows the which side I have a weaker stroke.

Again, thanks for the help.

2007-06-22 5:21 PM
in reply to: #855104

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
bubba76819 - 2007-06-21 3:57 PM

Thanks Danny, good stuff - all of it.

I currently use a tri-suit and have it on. I'm pretty quick at the getting the suit off as it's too big (had it before I lost the 100 lbs!). I'll work on the no socks thing though and speeding up anything else I can. I don't usually carry a drink on a run in a tri (sprint distance), I'll just drink on the bike and come off with nothing. Is that last 25 minutes without a drink a bad idea?

It's not a problem if you're comfortable.  I don't remember if they had a water station at the turnaround, so you may be without fluids for the run.  I personally carry a bottle with at least a couple of ounces on almost every run.  I like to be able to at lest wet my mouth, even if I am hardly drinking anything.   It's a mental thing for me...

So....is 25 minutes your goal time? 

2007-06-22 5:27 PM
in reply to: #856555

User image

Regular
Yeh, I'll probably go without on the run.  I don't think there was an aid station the last time I did it.  My race pace for a 5k is probably 7:30 to 8 min/mile so 24-25 minutes for the run is a realistic expectation. 
2007-06-22 5:39 PM
in reply to: #856560

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

bubba76819 - 2007-06-22 3:27 PM Yeh, I'll probably go without on the run. I don't think there was an aid station the last time I did it. My race pace for a 5k is probably 7:30 to 8 min/mile so 24-25 minutes for the run is a realistic expectation.

So, if you're feeling good on the run, are you going to press it real hard?  We wan to see a 22 minute run!!  

I see on your logs that your trying the no socks approach. Just don't get too crazy with it and tear up your feet too much.  If you need to give them a little relief to recover, but you still want to run, use some duct tape for the occasional run.  It will protect the hotspots and allow you to run as frequently as you want.

2007-06-22 5:41 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Okay, training was going great until 2 weeks ago when life jumped up and butted into my schedule (I'm sure that doesn't happen to enyone else, ha-ha). Between out of town company and the dreaded root canal I lost a little time (although running when on Darvocet is a fond memory).

Anyhow, I still got most workouts in but I'm not sure if I really am undertrained or I'm just experienceing pre-race "I'm-not-ready-I-need-a-few-more-weeks" jitters. I wanted to get a few more longer runs in, but it is what it is. Anyone have some great advice to calm the nervous beast within?

Carol
P.S. Bubba, those pictures of you and your wife knock me out every time I see them. So fantastic!
2007-06-22 6:08 PM
in reply to: #856573

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

ccessex - 2007-06-22 3:41 PM Okay, training was going great until 2 weeks ago when life jumped up and butted into my schedule (I'm sure that doesn't happen to enyone else, ha-ha). Between out of town company and the dreaded root canal I lost a little time (although running when on Darvocet is a fond memory). Anyhow, I still got most workouts in but I'm not sure if I really am undertrained or I'm just experienceing pre-race "I'm-not-ready-I-need-a-few-more-weeks" jitters. I wanted to get a few more longer runs in, but it is what it is. Anyone have some great advice to calm the nervous beast within? Carol P.S. Bubba, those pictures of you and your wife knock me out every time I see them. So fantastic!

Look at it this way....you must have needed a rest that you didn't know about!  At this point, gentle stretching, lots of rest, good organizational/packing skills will help more than anything else.  Go out there and have a great time.  Run your race and don't get caught up in anything else.

Nice flat swim....moderate bike that you already totally OWNED!, and then a nice flat run along a gorgeous route, with LOTS of people cheering you down the stretch.  A big family rooting you on, and your group of BT friends here cheering you on.....

C'mon....you totally got this under control !! 

Danny

[Ps 119:32] I run in the path of your commands, for you have set my heart free.

A great sports verse, but an even better life verse!! 

2007-06-23 10:35 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Hi Danny, thanks for the encouraging words. I'm really looking forward to a fun race. Had a dream last night that my T1 took about an hour. Couldn't find my bike shoes, sat down to have lunch... By the time I left T1 mine was the only bike in sight. Ha-ha! Can only go up from there, right?

Bummer that you are missing your CDA today, but you have a much greater victory in your excellent health report! Can't wait to see your new race schedule. I'm looking at the next few months of local races and trying to decide which to do. The Pendleton Oly in July is full (duh, I should have known that), but there are a few fun sprints, like Solana Beach and Mission Bay. Also an interesting (and expensive) sprint on Catalina Island. First things first, though. Time to pack up for tomorrow.

One last question, I'm still a little freaked about the whole tire pumping (and going flat!) thing. I got a new pump, but I still get nervous that I'm going to get a flat. I need to bring my bike today to Spanish Landing and leave it over night. Should I leave the tires pumped up full? Should I let a little air out and pump tomorrow morning? I notice my rear tire was a little low a few days ago, so I pumped it back up and keep checking it to see if it might be a slow leak? Yikes, I need to let that go, huh? Any suggestions?

Hey, nice scripture, I love it!

Edited by ccessex 2007-06-23 10:36 AM
2007-06-23 11:10 AM
in reply to: #856894

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

ccessex - 2007-06-23 8:35 AM One last question, I'm still a little freaked about the whole tire pumping (and going flat!) thing. I got a new pump, but I still get nervous that I'm going to get a flat. I need to bring my bike today to Spanish Landing and leave it over night. Should I leave the tires pumped up full? Should I let a little air out and pump tomorrow morning? I notice my rear tire was a little low a few days ago, so I pumped it back up and keep checking it to see if it might be a slow leak?

I would pump your tires up (to your normal desired pressure) before dropping your off your bike.

Bring an extra tube (in addition to the one you may carry in the race) and your pump tomorrow morning and pump your tires again (as needed).  Do this when you 1st get there, so if you have any issues, you will have plenty of time to take care of it.

I may be able to make it down there tomorrow and cheer you on, but it is going to be dicey (we're leaving on a 10 day family roadtrip later in the day, and it always is a production getting out the door!! ).

Whether or not I see you tomorrow, have a wonderful, fun time. 

Remember to break that run up the way we discussed:

- transition area to the 1st street - just recover and try to catch your breath,
- relax and cruise during the big "T" on Shelter Island,
- try to keep your rhythm going through the back road before Harbor drive,
- pick up the pace slightly on Harbor drive (its so pretty you won't even notice!),
- sight on Star of India, The Midway,
- after the Midway you are in the last .75 mile - time to push hard,
- sight on the brown building,
- make the last turn in the middle of a big crowd! 

We'll all be looking forward to your race report  !!

Danny 

2007-06-25 10:20 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Hi everyone! I DID IT!! First Olympic distance and it was a blast. I'll give all the details in my race report, but in a nutshell:

SWIM: super flat water, not cold at all. What a washing machine! I felt like I was in a wrestling match and I tried to stay out of the bigger group of swimmers. Did okay on the swim, never really found my ryhthm, but fun all the same.
BIKE: the bike was awesome! I passed so many peolple and really had a ball. Loved that fast downhill at the end. Even let out a great warrior whoop on the way down!
RUN: run was okay, and clearly what I need to work on the most. Chugged along with lots of people passing me. I really need to learn to run faster. By the way, how DO people drink out of those flimsy cups while still running? Not much went in my mouth, but it was nice and cooling down my front!

Finishing was such a rush, with everyone screaming and the live band playing at Seaport Village. Did it in about 2:45, which was actually less than my goal. Sweeeeet!

Hope everyone had a great weekend.
Danny, thanks again for all your help on the course. It was so awesome to know what to expect. Have a great vacation with your family!
2007-06-25 10:36 AM

User image

Regular
Congratulations!  That is so awesome.  What an achievment for you.  We're all super proud of you.  Now, set yourself another goal and refocus!  Wow, great , great job! 
2007-06-26 6:35 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Okay, what's everyone doing today? I've really come to realize in the last few weeks that training is a choice to be made void of excuses. There are so many excuses to be made if you want. That's why we (all of you triathletes and soon-to be ones) are the smallest percentage of a population who not only think about doing something great, but strives to achieve, NO MATTER WHAT gets in the way (Danny, thanks for being such a great example and mentor!).

Congratulations to all of our group for working hard and reaching for more!

Now, that being said I need to hurry up and go for a run - 3 out of 6 people in our family have a stomach bug and I must dash out now between pukes. Train on, people!!
Carol

2007-06-26 7:06 PM

User image

New user

Los Alamos, NM
Carol,

Congrats the Olympic Distance Tri. We are all proud of you. And you are right on excuses for not not working out (but I am still going to list mine below).

Hey Danny

I have been slacking off on my training, but things have been realy hectic. We just opened a new restaurant, I think I have a manager stealing from me at another restaurant, and I have had a lot of stress lately (unfortunately self induced). I know these are just excuses, but they still take time. I know it was nothing compared to what you went through, but I had a skin cancer cut out of my arm last week, which means no swimming until the stitches are out. I am going to set aside mandatory workout time, at least the exercise should release some of the stress. I am really going to take what Carol said to heart keep getting our there.

Ron
2007-06-26 8:05 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Ooh my, I just read my post after coming back from my run (which kicked my butt), and just to clarify I was really talking about myself. Life gets in my way, but I was just sort of talking (ranting) out loud about no excuses (for me!). Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes, and don't ever feel bad to take a break. That can actually make you came back stronger.

Ron, sounds like you have a lot on your shoulders and good luck sorting out the management troubles. A good workout may relieve some stress, but there is a season for everything and you have to prioritize.

Just want to say I love everyone!
2007-06-28 1:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey everyone,

Sorry I've been incommunicado - we moved house last Friday and I was busy packing and unpacking. I'm back at work now, so I have time to check in with the group (hehe)! I only missed one workout while moving - an OWS, though, so it was an important one. I'll make it this week, though. But my legs and shoulders were sore from all the kneeling and tightening of screws to put together the new IKEA furniture - I think I'll add that as a "sport" in the logs - it's a mental exercise as well. Those instructions are too visual for me, I need some words now and then.

Carol - congratulations on your Oly! What a time it must have been. No flat! Hurray! Although you still did a great time even with the flat. I'm itching to move up, myself, but I feel I don't have the endurance base just yet. I'm going to try to wait until next year.

Ron - what a mess with your manager problems. I can't even imagine how stressful that must be. I guess that's why I'm not an entrepreneur - give me that boring old, steady old, paycheck and I'll plug away til retirement! I hope your training time helps - I know stress is a great driver for me (when I have any, which is pretty uncommon these days and usually related to my tween-almost-teen son). One tip my sister gave me a few months ago is to get the workout done as early in the day as possible - then the time doesn't slip away.

I love that old anecdote about the jar and rocks: the jar is your alotment of time in life and you have big rocks (important things like family, friends, health), medium sized rocks (less important things like career and money), little rocks (much less important things like cleaning house or traffic jams) and a pitcher of water (everything else). The tendency is to fill the jar with the water and try to stuff the rocks in without spilling, but the best way is to put the big rocks in, then the medium rocks, then the little rocks and, finally, the water in the spaces that are left. (Note: the lists in parentheses are MY personal priorities - everyone has different ones. I know, for example, that my mother would be much less healthy if her house were dirty!)

Happy Thursday people!
Trish
2007-06-28 3:30 PM

User image

New user

Los Alamos, NM
Carol,
Don’t apologize. I didn’t think you were talking about other people, I just liked what you said.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dhyte's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 13