BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dhyte's Group - (Full to the brim) !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2008-01-31 10:16 AM
in reply to: #1184240

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - Room for More (Re-Opened) !!!

Hi Jayson,

Good job on the cross training!

I've heard drums are an incredible workout.

And be careful with that ax, we like you having all ten of your toes !

fullie64 - 2008-01-30 11:37 AM Hello everyone. I wanted to let you know how things are on my side of the fence. Temperatures have been better and I have been out doing training like activities such as chopping down trees with an axe and playing my drums plus doing a few jogs to keep myself at least somewhat in shape. I have managed to get myself below the 210 lb. mark. One morning I was at 201.2 so I am pretty happy about that as I was 264 less than a year ago! My real training however will start in February as I don't expect to do the real race until mid-summer/early fall. Still haven't picked one out yet but that is the next thing I will do. This enables me to use mother nature more to my advantage. I will start sting training logs next week. I hope everyone is doing well and it sounds like we have a great group with lots of motivated people so that's really encouraging! Luck and healtto all!! Jay

2008-01-31 12:56 PM
in reply to: #1104346

User image

Regular
Burleson, TX
Just wanted to chime in on my day off from training and say hello to Mark and Greg. I see that you are in Texas Greg and I too have concerns about the heat coming up this summer. I do most of my running outside now and my shirt is totally soaked when I finish from a 30 minute light run in 45 degree cold. One thing that I try to keep up with is drinking a gallon of water a day. My enudrance has improved greatly since starting a 12 week plan a month ago. At first I could not run down the street, now I'm running all over the neighborhood. Like Danny stated it is helping me to mix things up when working out.

I do have a question if anyone has done this: What is an ideal swimming golf training score to set a goal for? The best I have been able to do is 80. After reading up on swimming techniques, I take way to many strokes or hand hits in a 50 meter. I'm averaging like 40? I think that I'm trying to pull myself through the water with my arm strength and not gliding? Yesterday I tried to take less strokes and my 50 meter time was really bad. Any thoughts?

Welcome to the dhyte group and looking forward to cheering everyone on in their first Tri!!
2008-01-31 3:53 PM
in reply to: #1186264

User image

Austin,
I listened to a TriTalk podcast in December about determining sweat rate, and I plan to give it a try in the spring and summer, probably at a couple of different temps.

For the past 2 months, I've been in kind of maintenance mode re workouts. Working on a training plan using the training bible which will force some variety for me. When I swim more than once per week, I spend one session on endurance and the rest on drills and intervals. But I do need to do better on mixing up intensity and distance with a specific goal in mind for the given workout.

On runs, I usually have 1 long, slow run per week @ 7-10 miles, 1 medium distance, faster pace of 4-6 and 1-2 short tempo runs 3-4 miles. I'm trying to run back to back only once per week. My target is 8:30 per mile for a 10K, which I've done once. Frankly my run training last year was just plain stupid. Trying to race with 2 runs per week that were barely longer than 5K's just didn't work. Lesson learned.

I did a quick 3 miles today and it sucked. Really, really windy here (blew my freaking headphones off my head), but I think it's time for a day off. Just didn't feel right.

dhyte - 2008-01-31 10:07 AM

Greg,

I was cracking up reading your post....we have a lot of similarities.
I was already thinking that then I read you rlast part about being a heavy sweater...I have been known to leave a lake of water around me during exercise! But this was true even when I was a skinny teenager, so it may just be in the genes.

Remind me to discuss hydration planning (especially due to high sweat rate).

I would consider focusing on the quality of your workouts, not just the quantity, and adding "one more session per week". Part of that has to due with protecting your health, and part of it has to do with intentionally mixing up total volume with some very specific/acute sessions to push yourself to another performance level.

On your run training, are you just cranking out miles, or do you mix it up? SHort runs, tempo runs, hills, strength, distance variety?

Finding your ideal pace for a distance and training specifically for that will be the goal.

I understand about struggling on the run, and having it be the weakest link.

Edited by 3guysdad 2008-01-31 3:55 PM
2008-01-31 9:27 PM

Florida
Hey everyone!
It's almost Friday, so it's almost the weekend!! haha although for me thats the same as a weekday since I still have yet to hear anything final about my job. But just wanted to check in...

My pinched nerve Saturday only really lasted that one night and partly into the next day. I went for a walk on Sunday afternoon and after that it never bothered me again (thank goodness, because that was painful). Had some good workouts this week, and my running is gradually getting a little easier and I can tell my endurance is building...slowly.

However, as the week's worn on I think I need to work on revamping my diet some. With the workouts I've been putting in, as the week goes on I've had less and less energy. Today's run, about a half mile into it I felt completely gassed. It felt a little bit better more into the run, but not much. So, I think tomorrow's workout (its my rest day) will be going to the grocery store and stocking up on some fruits, good snacks, and lunch foods.

Happy weekend everyone and keep on truckin'!

2008-02-01 10:57 PM

Hi Danny,

I saw the title of this group was Re-opened and I was wondering if it is still open as of 02-01-08?
I too am a newbie to Tri's and am training for a sprint and I am also new to BT. If there is is still room, I'd like to join in and share some inspiration and ideas. I promise to play nice and share my toys and I won't run with scissors.

Rick from Chicago
2008-02-02 9:46 AM

User image

Regular
Hello Folks

Well we have snow and ice around here, brrrrr it’s freezing!

Breakthrough in the pool today, did a steady 600m but managed to swim alternative breaststroke and front crawl lengths for the duration which I’ve never got near being able to swim such distance front crawl before, so pretty chuffed.

I also had a good 45mins on the spin bike, an average heart that was 94% max, felt beautiful! Hey Greg this ride saw me become the self proclaimed UK & European Sweating Champion – was still sweating an hour later after the swim!

Rode before I swam so I’ve done 2 parts in one session for the first time!!!!

Going stay warm and have a beer or 2 later peeps, hope your having a crazy weekend!

Cav

2008-02-02 5:16 PM
in reply to: #1190926

Florida
njcavill65 - 2008-02-02 10:46 AM

Hello Folks

Well we have snow and ice around here, brrrrr it’s freezing!

Breakthrough in the pool today, did a steady 600m but managed to swim alternative breaststroke and front crawl lengths for the duration which I’ve never got near being able to swim such distance front crawl before, so pretty chuffed.

I also had a good 45mins on the spin bike, an average heart that was 94% max, felt beautiful! Hey Greg this ride saw me become the self proclaimed UK & European Sweating Champion – was still sweating an hour later after the swim!

Rode before I swam so I’ve done 2 parts in one session for the first time!!!!

Going stay warm and have a beer or 2 later peeps, hope your having a crazy weekend!

Cav

Sounds like a great day of workouts for you, Cav. Enjoy the warm and beer after that

I just did my 5 mile run for the day. Well my 5 mile run/walk. Those silly shin splints just won't go away. So I'm making myself walk whenever I feel them starting to get irritated. I figure after the 15K in March I'm going to ease up a good bit on the running and try to let them actually heal up before my race in May.
2008-02-03 12:57 AM
in reply to: #1186799

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

I have some really good articles and misc resources that I have collected related to sweat rate and estimating correct hydration levels.  Being someone with a high sweat rate, it was clear to me that this was a very important issue for me to succeed at endurance sports.

I will dig out some of this material and post in in the next day or two.

I will also mention that the hydration solution varies depending on the person, the specific event/distance involved, weather, and also level of exertion.

My hydration and nutrition plan is quite a bit different for a 40 minute training run on a cool morning vs 13 hour day for an Ironamn race that includes hot weather, wind, and a higher exertion rate.

I will mention that I am still refn ing the "right answer" for me, and it has been an elusive target.

I have a desire to try some ultramarathons at some point, and it just won't happen if I can dial this in. 

Txhokie - 2008-01-31 10:56 AM Just wanted to chime in on my day off from training and say hello to Mark and Greg. I see that you are in Texas Greg and I too have concerns about the heat coming up this summer. I do most of my running outside now and my shirt is totally soaked when I finish from a 30 minute light run in 45 degree cold. One thing that I try to keep up with is drinking a gallon of water a day. 

2008-02-03 1:26 AM
in reply to: #1186799

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Txhokie - 2008-01-31 10:56 AM J I do have a question if anyone has done this: What is an ideal swimming golf training score to set a goal for? The best I have been able to do is 80. After reading up on swimming techniques, I take way to many strokes or hand hits in a 50 meter. I'm averaging like 40? I think that I'm trying to pull myself through the water with my arm strength and not gliding? Yesterday I tried to take less strokes and my 50 meter time was really bad. 

For background info, I want ed include some descriptive info on "Swim Golf":

(some of this is an exerpt from http://www.cruciblefitness.com/etips/swimtechnique1.htm)... size="2" face="Tahoma">Swim Golf. 
Swim 50 meters or yards at a decent pace, concentrating on your technique, as it is right now. Count your strokes (each time a hand goes in the water counts as a stroke), and record your time. Add your stroke count to your time for 50m/yds in seconds.  For example, you swim 50m in 40 seconds and take 40 strokes.  Your Swim Golf is 80. 

So what is a good Swim Golf score? 

1. Think of it as golf:  low score is good, high score is bad.  I like to give folks a goal of sub 80.
  2. Focus first on reducing the stroke count component, then the speed component.  As for stroke count, a good goal would be less than 20 strokes per 25yd or less than 42 strokes per 50m.  This is based on my personal experience with stroke counts.  Once you get under 20, then 19 is good, 18 is better, 17 is very good, 16 is excellent.

Brian,

Based on the above reference and my own experience,  I would not consider your score (80) to be bad. 

A couple of thoughts:

- triathlon swimming is all about efficiency and conservation of energy. 

- you HAVE to be able to come out of the water without having blown a huge amount of energy.  With that in mind, Swim Golf is a good tool for developing efficiency, but it is not absolute. 

- The most critical aspect of Swim Golf is the reduction of strokes (vs focusing on achieving the fastest 50 yd time).

- An alternate drill to work on stroke reduction, glide and efficiency is Distance Per Stroke (DPS) drills.  This is simply swimming 25 yds with the fewest strokes (without worrying about the time element).  Ensuring that you are swimming with correct technique is more important than massive yardage with flawed technique.  (My suggestion for new swimmers is to build initial swimming endurance/fitness by focusing on adding yardage/duration until you are able to swim 40-60 minutes, then focus on drills/technique, then build speed/distance on top of the improved technique).

- if you think you have gotten to a point that you are swimming efficiently, do a 200 yd swim gold segment and divide your score by 4.  If you have a reasonably close to the 50 yd version, you are doing great.  Or do a series of 50 yd segments, and see if you can maintain your score.

- my repeatable 50 yd golf score is about 72 (40 sec swim, and about 16 strokes each way).  If I was only doing DPS , I can swim 25 yds in 12-13 strokes (however this is slower, and I have a higher emphasis on kicking, and a lonnnnggggg reach and glide).

2008-02-03 1:43 AM
in reply to: #1187430

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Greg,

Sounds like to you have the right idea in terms of variety and repetition, and also the need to properly train the necessary distance if you have high goals for yourself.  

I have had plenty of races, where I  thought afterwards that I just didn't put in the long workouts, enough times to allow me to have the performance I was looking for. 

Sometimes, because of injuries, time demands, or life in general, you show up at races, and you just do your best based on the amount of training you have need able to do.  I have conceded/comforted myself witht he thought that. "I did as well as I possible could have done on this particular day".  My goal for every race is to preapare as much as I can, do my best when I'm out there, and enjoying appreciating the entire race day experience (regardless of the outcome - sometimes a challenge...).

3guysdad - 2008-01-31 1:53 PM I listened to a TriTalk podcast in December about determining sweat rate, and I plan to give it a try in the spring and summer, probably at a couple of different temps. For the past 2 months, I've been in kind of maintenance mode re workouts. Working on a training plan using the training bible which will force some variety for me. When I swim more than once per week, I spend one session on endurance and the rest on drills and intervals. But I do need to do better on mixing up intensity and distance with a specific goal in mind for the given workout. On runs, I usually have 1 long, slow run per week @ 7-10 miles, 1 medium distance, faster pace of 4-6 and 1-2 short tempo runs 3-4 miles. I'm trying to run back to back only once per week. My target is 8:30 per mile for a 10K, which I've done once. Frankly my run training last year was just plain stupid. Trying to race with 2 runs per week that were barely longer than 5K's just didn't work. Lesson learned. I did a quick 3 miles today and it sucked. Really, really windy here (blew my freaking headphones off my head), but I think it's time for a day off. Just didn't feel right.
dhyte - 2008-01-31 10:07 AM

Greg,

I was cracking up reading your post....we have a lot of similarities.
I was already thinking that then I read you rlast part about being a heavy sweater...I have been known to leave a lake of water around me during exercise! But this was true even when I was a skinny teenager, so it may just be in the genes.

Remind me to discuss hydration planning (especially due to high sweat rate).

I would consider focusing on the quality of your workouts, not just the quantity, and adding "one more session per week". Part of that has to due with protecting your health, and part of it has to do with intentionally mixing up total volume with some very specific/acute sessions to push yourself to another performance level.

On your run training, are you just cranking out miles, or do you mix it up? SHort runs, tempo runs, hills, strength, distance variety?

Finding your ideal pace for a distance and training specifically for that will be the goal.

I understand about struggling on the run, and having it be the weakest link.

2008-02-03 1:50 AM
in reply to: #1188056

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hi Nancy,

We'll keep out fingers crossed on the job situation !!

Good balalanced diet, vitamin supplements, and lots of sleep are HUGE (especially when you are really pushing yourself during training).

Also, treat yourself to some "fun" workouts occasionally.  Do a fun run with friends...stop for ice cream in the middle of a long run/ride....leave your watch at home occasionally and just enjoy the run instead of measuring your specific performance. 

LadyGator - 2008-01-31 7:27 PM Hey everyone! It's almost Friday, so it's almost the weekend!! haha although for me thats the same as a weekday since I still have yet to hear anything final about my job. But just wanted to check in... My pinched nerve Saturday only really lasted that one night and partly into the next day. I went for a walk on Sunday afternoon and after that it never bothered me again (thank goodness, because that was painful). Had some good workouts this week, and my running is gradually getting a little easier and I can tell my endurance is building...slowly. However, as the week's worn on I think I need to work on revamping my diet some. With the workouts I've been putting in, as the week goes on I've had less and less energy. Today's run, about a half mile into it I felt completely gassed. It felt a little bit better more into the run, but not much. So, I think tomorrow's workout (its my rest day) will be going to the grocery store and stocking up on some fruits, good snacks, and lunch foods. Happy weekend everyone and keep on truckin'!

2008-02-03 1:51 AM
in reply to: #1190720

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

rsand222 - 2008-02-01 8:57 PM Hi Danny, I saw the title of this group was Re-opened and I was wondering if it is still open as of 02-01-08? I too am a newbie to Tri's and am training for a sprint and I am also new to BT. If there is is still room, I'd like to join in and share some inspiration and ideas. I promise to play nice and share my toys and I won't run with scissors. Rick from Chicago

No running with scissors????  You're in !!!!!!! 

2008-02-03 1:56 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

njcavill65 - 2008-02-02 7:46 AM   Rode before I swam so I’ve done 2 parts in one session for the first time!!!!

WooHoo, Cav's kicking butt !! 

njcavill65 - 2008-02-02 7:46 AM  Hey Greg this ride saw me become the self proclaimed UK & European Sweating Champion – was still sweating an hour later after the swim!
  We have a new Champ !!!!    I knew I was a big time sweater the first time I noticed I was sweating "in the pool" during hard wind sprints...

2008-02-03 2:23 AM
in reply to: #1191318

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

LadyGator - 2008-02-02 3:16 PM Those silly shin splints just won't go away. So I'm making myself walk whenever I feel them starting to get irritated. I figure after the 15K in March I'm going to ease up a good bit on the running and try to let them actually heal up before my race in May.

Those shins splints can be stubborn, hang in there ! 

- may keep your runs under 30 minutes the next 2 weeks?

- try to walk for a mile before running.

- try to do some stretching after the walking, before the run ( toe raises while standing on heels on edge of a curb or stairs - this will isolate to the front of the shin).

- try icing multiple times a day (even on non-running days.  When I was having shin problems I bought 2 neoprene shin sleeves that have a freezable insert.  They really helped alot.

http://www.medplususa.com/list-product_info-p-Shin_Ice_Shin_Splint_Relief_Small_Black-pid-3248.html  

2008-02-03 7:29 AM
in reply to: #1170419

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - Freshly Closed !!
dhyte - 2008-01-22 10:18 PM

Try this,

I will put the text/code into an attachment to this post. Open the attachment, copy the enclosed text, and then go to your control panel, and then select the goals tab. Select the "html" icon and then paste the text in.

Let me know if it works for you.

Danny - need an assist; I'm not figuring it out. I try to copy and paste but I don't retain the links? Thom

Ok - that worked. Thanks.

Thom
2008-02-03 7:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Subject: What's in a meter?
Ok - so, I'm thinking that not much has really changed in my swimming abilities since I left the pool about 25 years ago. Distances seemed shorter, conditioning felt great - I'm telling myself its just like riding a bike, you never forget. I'm feeling pretty good - even got an inspirational note about the swim time...a, but alas, its all in that little thing called the metric system.

You see, I was counting each of my laps as 50 m - but, nope, its only 25m. It is easy to post near world record paces when you cut the pool in half.

So, now my distances in my log reflect the correct distances. Still not bad. Instead of hitting 56" 100s, they're 56" 50s. Not too bad. I did my 500m time trial this week and clocked a respectable 9'24".

I also did time trials and lactate threshold tests for the bike and the run. My run LT comes in at 173 at a 7:05 min/mile pace. For the bike its 149. I'll now adjust my training zones according to the charts published by Friel.

Getting all the workouts in this past week have been challenging due to work, but I'm doing ok - I missed one swim and a bike I think. But all in all not bad.

And the best news is that I'm dropping the pounds. I've lost about 7 or so since beginning and I have another 8 to 9 to go to get to my target of 175; but only 5 to drop below the "no beer" threshold of 180. Until I hit 179, I've cut myself off from the suds - (ok, I've cheated three times - but hey, I'm in Germany, who could blame me).

Keep at it -

Thom

2008-02-03 10:01 AM

User image

Regular
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - (Full to the brim) !!!
Guess it'll be a quiet day on here today are you all in Superbowl party mode, who are you guys cheering for, the Pats of Giants?

Another good day at the training office, good strength session this morning, dropped the reps to 3x8 and increased the weights a lot. Got ithchy feet after lunch so headed out into a gale force wind to do some fartlek training, did 4.86miles @ 7.14 pace with intervals of 1 min easy 30 secs hard, pushed me but the wind didn't help but feel great afterwards (and of course once I'd stopped sweating)!

Enjoy the football peeps if you're watching, of course football to me is soccer to you, I'll tell you about my beloved Hull City one day!

Have a crazy day peeps! x
2008-02-03 10:39 AM
in reply to: #1191835

User image

Regular
Burleson, TX
Subject: RE: What's in a meter?
sundevil87 - 2008-02-03 7:46 AM

You see, I was counting each of my laps as 50 m - but, nope, its only 25m. It is easy to post near world record paces when you cut the pool in half.

LOL!!! That was funny!!

njcavill65 - 2008-02-03 10:01 AM

Guess it'll be a quiet day on here today are you all in Superbowl party mode, who are you guys cheering for, the Pats of Giants?

GO GIANTS!!! My money is on the Giants +6.5 for the second half. I think that the Pats 35+ year old defense will get worn down with Jacobs and G-Men running attack. It is going to be close coming down to the fourth quarter.

Little background here: I was born and raised in Roanoke VA (this is why I went to Va. Tech) while graduating from Cave Spring High School 1993. I played football with Rhonda and Tiki Barber while growing up. So I have always been a big Giants and Bucs fan for that reason. And I cannot stand the Cowboys!!

2008-02-03 10:49 AM
in reply to: #1191758

User image

Regular
Burleson, TX
dhyte - 2008-02-03 1:26 AM

- An alternate drill to work on stroke reduction, glide and efficiency is Distance Per Stroke (DPS) drills.  This is simply swimming 25 yds with the fewest strokes (without worrying about the time element).  Ensuring that you are swimming with correct technique is more important than massive yardage with flawed technique.  (My suggestion for new swimmers is to build initial swimming endurance/fitness by focusing on adding yardage/duration until you are able to swim 40-60 minutes, then focus on drills/technique, then build speed/distance on top of the improved technique).

- if you think you have gotten to a point that you are swimming efficiently, do a 200 yd swim gold segment and divide your score by 4.  If you have a reasonably close to the 50 yd version, you are doing great.  Or do a series of 50 yd segments, and see if you can maintain your score.

- my repeatable 50 yd golf score is about 72 (40 sec swim, and about 16 strokes each way).  If I was only doing DPS , I can swim 25 yds in 12-13 strokes (however this is slower, and I have a higher emphasis on kicking, and a lonnnnggggg reach and glide).

Thanks for your help with this and I will be working on it everytime I swim. I feel better about my swim workout when I practice on my stroke and timing then just going out for a long swim.
2008-02-03 11:40 AM
in reply to: #1191835

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

sundevil87 - 2008-02-03 5:46 AM I was counting each of my laps as 50 m - but, nope, its only 25m. It is easy to post near world record paces when you cut the pool in half. So, now my distances in my log reflect the correct distances.

OK, this cracked me up !! I would have like to have seen the look on your face when you realized the difference in the lap distance....

sundevil87 - 2008-02-03 5:46 AM I also did time trials and lactate threshold tests for the bike and the run. My run LT comes in at 173 at a 7:05 min/mile pace. For the bike its 149. I'll now adjust my training zones according to the charts published by Friel.

This is excellent that you are doing this testing ! It will be very interesting to have you repeat your testing at the end of the season and see if there is much difference. It is advisable to check your threshold every eight to six weeks.

Having discovered your threshold it is important to work on improving it. You can start with one or two 6 to 10 minute repetitions building towards a sustained twenty minute run. As you become fitter so more 10 minute repetitions can be added to your schedule - say up to six. Your heart rate should be set at around 5% below your known threshold. These sessions should be run up to twice a week before peaking for a race season and once a week or less during the endurance build up - it is dependant upon your experience and fitness. These hard threshold runs should be preceded and followed by a recovery run.

I would just mention that there is room for error in this testing protocol. Depending on the athlete's conditioning, mental state, motivation, pain tolerance, etc., it is possible to maintain a heart rate well above your LTHR for a considerable amount of time.

As always, listen to your body! I can't say this enough. You can calculate your various thresholds, and generally identify your correct training zones, but on a given day you may not be able to perform as well as the "paper model" indicates.

On the other hand, some days you feel that you are capable of exceeding the planned workout, and you need to follow your intuition, and go for it, if it is feeling good.

In the end, you you know your limitations, and also your abilities better than anyone else.

sundevil87 - 2008-02-03 5:46 AM I've lost about 7 or so since beginning and I have another 8 to 9 to go to get to my target of 175; but only 5 to drop below the "no beer" threshold of 180. Until I hit 179, I've cut myself off from the suds - (ok, I've cheated three times - but hey, I'm in Germany, who could blame me). Keep at it - Thom

Congrats on the weight loss !!
It's Superbowl Sunday, I pan to have a waiver for the no suds threshold today!!
I hereby share my "No Suds Waiver" with everyone in the group for today !!!!

Edited by dhyte 2008-02-03 11:45 AM
2008-02-03 11:52 AM
in reply to: #1191920

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hey Cav,

I'll be rooting for the Giants.

I was born in Mass, but have not lived there since I was very young.

I grew up in California, and am a Raiders fan. That does not go over too well, since I live in San Diego. But I did get to see all the Charger fans have their hopes raised, and then taken away.... I rooted for the Pats to beat the Chargers, tough for a Raider fan who didn't want either team to go to the Superbowl. But I didn't want to listen to the Charger fans gloating, and there are not too many Patriot fans living here.

But this week I'll be rooting for the Giants, to knock off those Patriots. Everyone is picking NE, but I think NY can pull it off !

Soccer is notttt football....

njcavill65 - 2008-02-03 8:01 AM Guess it'll be a quiet day on here today are you all in Superbowl party mode, who are you guys cheering for, the Pats of Giants? Another good day at the training office, good strength session this morning, dropped the reps to 3x8 and increased the weights a lot. Got ithchy feet after lunch so headed out into a gale force wind to do some fartlek training, did 4.86miles @ 7.14 pace with intervals of 1 min easy 30 secs hard, pushed me but the wind didn't help but feel great afterwards (and of course once I'd stopped sweating)! Enjoy the football peeps if you're watching, of course football to me is soccer to you, I'll tell you about my beloved Hull City one day! Have a crazy day peeps! x

Edited by dhyte 2008-02-03 4:16 PM

2008-02-03 3:25 PM
in reply to: #1192018

User image

Regular
dhyte - 2008-02-03 5:52 PM

Hey  Cav,

I'll be rooting for the Giants.

I was born in Mass, but have not lived there since I was very young.

I grew up in California, and am a Raiders fan.  THat does not go over too well, since I live in San Diego.  But I did get to see all teh Charger fans have their hopes raided ,a nd then taken away....    I rooted for the Pats to beat the Chargers, tough for a Raider fan who didn't want either team to go to the Superbowl.  But I didn't want to listen to the Charger fans gloating, and there are not too many Patriot fans living here. 

But this week I'll be rooting for the Giants, to knock off those Patriots.  Everyone is picking NE, but I think NY can pull it off !

Soccer is notttt football....   

njcavill65 - 2008-02-03 8:01 AM Guess it'll be a quiet day on here today are you all in Superbowl party mode, who are you guys cheering for, the Pats of Giants? Another good day at the training office, good strength session this morning, dropped the reps to 3x8 and increased the weights a lot. Got ithchy feet after lunch so headed out into a gale force wind to do some fartlek training, did 4.86miles @ 7.14 pace with intervals of 1 min easy 30 secs hard, pushed me but the wind didn't help but feel great afterwards (and of course once I'd stopped sweating)! Enjoy the football peeps if you're watching, of course football to me is soccer to you, I'll tell you about my beloved Hull City one day! Have a crazy day peeps! x

And football is played with 11 men on each team and a round ball!!!!

Hope its a good game!

Edited by njcavill65 2008-02-03 3:33 PM
2008-02-03 7:46 PM
in reply to: #1191958

User image

Austin,
Txhokie - 2008-02-03 10:39 AM

And I cannot stand the Cowboys!!

A gentle reminder that I-35W (northbound, please) would be the fastest way out of the state. Otherwise I-20 to Louisiana or if you prefer Arkansas (?) head out I-30.

Edited by 3guysdad 2008-02-03 7:58 PM
2008-02-03 7:57 PM
in reply to: #1191766

User image

Austin,
dhyte - 2008-02-03 2:23 AM

LadyGator - 2008-02-02 3:16 PM Those silly shin splints just won't go away. So I'm making myself walk whenever I feel them starting to get irritated. I figure after the 15K in March I'm going to ease up a good bit on the running and try to let them actually heal up before my race in May.

Those shins splints can be stubborn, hang in there !

- may keep your runs under 30 minutes the next 2 weeks?

- try to walk for a mile before running.

- try to do some stretching after the walking, before the run ( toe raises while standing on heels on edge of a curb or stairs - this will isolate to the front of the shin).

- try icing multiple times a day (even on non-running days. When I was having shin problems I bought 2 neoprene shin sleeves that have a freezable insert. They really helped alot.

http://www.medplususa.com/list-product_info-p-Shin_Ice_Shin_Splint_Relief_Small_Black-pid-3248.html

I had some shin splint problems when I decreased my volume dramatically after a half marathon in 2007. Something that worked for me was a pointer I read somewhere about intentionally pushing off your big toe. And I mean, intentionally. Try it walking first. Make sure you're not rolling your ankle to make it happen; rather that your big toe is the last point on your foot that touches the ground and you push a little bit harder off the toe. It made a difference for me within a couple of weeks. As usual, I'm not a doctor....
2008-02-04 11:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Cav,

Great job on the swim! It is too weird - sweating while swimming - or well after. That's when you know you've had a good workout in the pool.

I'm jealous about the beer - I love British Ales - Bodington's being my favorite. I always look forward to flying through Heathrow (hopefully with a decent layover) just so I can get my fill of the ale from the tap! I'll have to "settle" for German lagers for now.

Thom
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dhyte's Group - (Full to the brim) !!! Rss Feed  

of 14