BT Development Mentor Program Archives » guncollector's group -- FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2008-01-29 2:00 PM
in reply to: #1106642

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: guncollector's group -- OPEN!
Hello Ron et al,
I am going to a tri store on Friday (They are a long way away and I have another stop over there) Do you have any recommendations on things to look for in gear (transition bags, wetsuits, shorts, etc) Any ideas on brands or features for different things? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Scott H

2008-01-29 2:37 PM
in reply to: #1182056

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

holt1997 - 2008-01-29 12:00 PM Hello Ron et al, I am going to a tri store on Friday (They are a long way away and I have another stop over there) Do you have any recommendations on things to look for in gear (transition bags, wetsuits, shorts, etc) Any ideas on brands or features for different things? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Scott H

Stick to any of the major brands (I just happen to be partial to 2XU, DeSoto, and Zoot) and you'll be ok.  Find the stuff that fits you best

Let's be honest, though.  You don't need any fancy stuff to race, but we all know the GEAR is fun to have and use!  So, that said, here's what I'd suggest:

1) tri shorts 

The thin padding is much better than moisture-absorbing cycling shorts.  I like tri-shorts with some pockets for holding gels and such. I like the longer 8" inseam versions, so they don't ride up on you as much.  Some like the 6" inseams.  Stick with black.  YMMV.

2) tri top

I like ones with pockets in the back, some folks don't.  Full-zip ones are more convenient for putting on/taking off.  But, half-zip are fine.  They fit TIGHT, and require attention when putting on--else you may rip the material.  Be forwarned.

3) wetsuit 

Now we're getting into dropping some dough (remember, you can always rent a suit before each race).   But, if you plan to stick with this sport or race often and in wetsuit-legal races, getting your own wetsuit is a good call.  Buying a wetsuit comes down to FIT, FIT, FIT.  Look for a deal on "2007" wetsuits in the $200-250 range.  Don't bother with the super-high end ones, they won't make any difference in your swim times.

4) transition bag 

Triathlon's version of "a solution in search of a problem".  Any duffel bag, or many use a 5-ga bucket, will do the trick.  But, its "cool" to have a triathlon-specific transition bag.  The ones by TYR (about $70) I found are the best bang for the buck.  You can spend more, but they won't function measurably better.

5) miscellaneous stuff 

- Body Glide (non-optional) is your friend.  Chaffing is your enemy. 

- Yankz or Lock-Lace speedlaces (non-optional) are indispensable IMO. 

- Race belt  is nice inexpensive luxury.  Much better than pinning on numbers to your jersey.

- Heart Rate Monitor  is a nice to have. 

- Visor (tech fabric)  I don't race without one.  The standard "golfing" visors absorb too much water and get heavy.  Make sure

- Sunglasses (non-optional) Don't ride without them!  I always run in them too.  I prefer the Amber/Red (sometimes referred to a "Racing" lenses) lenses.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.  I'm the first to admit I've got WAY MORE GEAR than I need. 

2008-01-29 4:10 PM
in reply to: #1182146

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Ron,
Come on dude, you have the best Transition bag in the world, LOL! Seriously that's one nice bag Ron has.

guncollector - 2007-11-14 12:57 PM

Here some pics of my SBR Transition Bag:

It's actually very spacious even in its unexpanded form. In fact, I usually can get by with all my gear without using the wetsuit expansion pocket.

Actually, you get about another 30% more space with the expansion if you need it.

Unfolded and transformed into a "mat".

Close-up of the race-checklist that's imprinted in the middle-inside panel.

HTH!

2008-01-29 4:27 PM

Subject: Transition bag/mat
Hi Guys,

I really like that bag. Is it small enough to unfold in a transition spot at a race, without moving into the next persons space ?

I also have a question about the lateral meniscus, Does it move, when the knee is in action and if it is not moving what would it feel like?

Any doctors in the house?

I have been nursing my trick knee for awhile and have recently heard the meniscus may be stuck.

Thanks for any input.
2008-01-29 6:58 PM
in reply to: #1182374

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
Donto - 2008-01-29 2:10 PM

Ron,
Come on dude, you have the best Transition bag in the world, LOL! Seriously that's one nice bag Ron has.

guncollector - 2007-11-14 12:57 PM

Here some pics of my SBR Transition Bag:

It's actually very spacious even in its unexpanded form. In fact, I usually can get by with all my gear without using the wetsuit expansion pocket.

Actually, you get about another 30% more space with the expansion if you need it.

Unfolded and transformed into a "mat".

Close-up of the race-checklist that's imprinted in the middle-inside panel.

HTH!

Dude!  That's my secret-squirrel, coolest Transition Bag.  LOL. 

dtb - 2008-01-29 2:27 PM Hi Guys, I really like that bag. Is it small enough to unfold in a transition spot at a race, without moving into the next persons space ?

Yes, its the perfectly "transition spot"-sized.  Footprint is smaller than your average beach towel.  Its made by SBR Multisports in NYC (58th betw 7th & 8th).

The SBR Transition Bag is actually the best triathlon bag on the market IMO.  But, I'm the only one I know who has and uses one.  I've never seen another one at a race (granted I only attended 5 races last year).  So, I'm not sure on its availability.

The TYR, otoh, is widely available from a multitude of tri and swim shops.

2008-01-29 9:31 PM

User image

Expert
Do you folks wear sleeveless or full wetsuits, and what do you consider the pros and cons of each? I'll be in the market soon and am leaning towards Orca or DeSoto. Suggestions?

Edited by ljrogers1104 2008-01-29 9:32 PM

2008-01-30 12:35 AM

User image

Regular
I have a few general questions for you more experienced people out there..

Since I'm basically starting from scratch with the bike I've just been trying to get a little time riding every day, even if it's just a few minutes at the gym (it's been raining here in LA), so that I can get comfortable riding again. Is there anything I should be focusing on or working at as I get started so that I can set good habits early? I see a lot about cadence and pedaling but I don't know if these are all things that should come later, after I've spent a little more time on the bike. Also I've noticed that my upper back gets sore when I've been riding, is that a bike fit problem or am I just not used to riding a road bike?

For the swimming, I know I can do the 400m necessary for my first tri (I switched from the Pasadena reverse tri to UCLA's IronBruin 400m/13.5mi/2.75mi), but is it worth it at this point to invest in a lesson to make sure my technique is solid?

Running I've mostly got down, right Yanti ? but I'll probably have more questions relating to running and tri's down the road a bit.
2008-01-30 3:29 AM
in reply to: #1182855

User image

Melon Presser

ljrogers1104 - 2008-01-29 8:31 PM Do you folks wear sleeveless or full wetsuits, and what do you consider the pros and cons of each? I'll be in the market soon and am leaning towards Orca or DeSoto. Suggestions?

Don't mind if I jump in ... just my opinion:

Full, full, full, full, full, X nth power. (Spoken by a swimmer who does NOT like the feeling of full, but swims in one anyway!) There's a few dozen good reasons why full is better, but here are a few:

- the water up there being cold as it is, you'll be grateful for the sleeves--no problem to wear in summer; I do and it's a sight warmer down here!

- more flotation = less energy spent

- extra millimeters width on your arms = bigger "paddles" = more pull = faster

Some folks who are super-fast swimmers prefer the less constrictive feel of a sleeveless, but all the newer suits--and definitely Orca and DeSoto--are very well engineered to have full movement in the shoulder and arms.

Sleeveless costs less, but if those are the brands you're looking at, it's not going to save you enough to be worth it. Sleeveless are also slightly easier to put on and take off, but again, not by much for the benefits you'd be getting from a full.

2008-01-30 3:38 AM
in reply to: #1183094

User image

Melon Presser

faeron - 2008-01-29 11:35 PM Running I've mostly got down, right Yanti ? but I'll probably have more questions relating to running and tri's down the road a bit.

You're a helluva runner. Apparently you can even run without your hands

It is always a good idea to get help on swim form--you're definitely strong for the 400, but no need to practice a less-than-ideal stroke hundreds of times in the water before then.

2008-01-30 9:45 AM
in reply to: #1183137

User image

Expert
Thanks for the input, TriAya! I was leaning towards full sleeve, but I think you may have sold me completely now. I can use all the extra help in the swim that a wetsuit will provide, for sure...

2008-01-30 2:32 PM
in reply to: #1183137

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
TriAya - 2008-01-30 1:29 AM

ljrogers1104 - 2008-01-29 8:31 PM Do you folks wear sleeveless or full wetsuits, and what do you consider the pros and cons of each? I'll be in the market soon and am leaning towards Orca or DeSoto. Suggestions?

Don't mind if I jump in ... just my opinion:

Full, full, full, full, full, X nth power.

x2.

The only folks I know who swim with sleeveless suits are elite swimmers (my swim coach is one such example) who's stroke are so finely tuned that the sleeves are an irritation. If you're not in this category, then you should be buying a full sleeve.

Edited by guncollector 2008-01-30 2:33 PM

2008-01-30 2:55 PM
in reply to: #1183094

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

faeron - 2008-01-29 10:35 PM I have a few general questions for you more experienced people out there.. Since I'm basically starting from scratch with the bike I've just been trying to get a little time riding every day, even if it's just a few minutes at the gym (it's been raining here in LA), so that I can get comfortable riding again. Is there anything I should be focusing on or working at as I get started so that I can set good habits early?

The more time in the saddle the better.  

The thing about cycling, due to the limited range of movement while clipped in, is that technique tends to be self-correcting over the long run.

That said, learn to "spin" early on--applying power through the entire pedal stroke (vs. just hammering on the downstroke like we all did as a kid on our Schwinns).  Its not an easy skill to master, and this skill is entirely cycling-specific.   

I see a lot about cadence and pedaling but I don't know if these are all things that should come later, after I've spent a little more time on the bike.

If you don't have one already, get yourself a cadence meter (built in to most bike computer these days).  The Cateye Astrale-8 is a good, inexpensive model ($38)--and I like it because the cadence sensor attaches to the rear wheel (which means you can measure your cadence while on a indoor-trainer). 

You should start learning to ride at 90-100 rpm immediately.  It won't feel terribly "efficient" at first, but trust us, that will be your most efficient cadence range. 

CAUTION: at no time in your training should you be straining with a high-resistance in the 40-50 rpm range.  This will be your surest ticket to knee damage that I can think of.

Also I've noticed that my upper back gets sore when I've been riding, is that a bike fit problem or am I just not used to riding a road bike?

Probably a bit of both.

Your muscles take time to adjust to this new activity.  Its not uncommon for your back (and fanny) to be quite sore in the beginning.

A bike fitting--by a professional--is worth every penny.  Most shops charge between $75-100.

For the swimming, I know I can do the 400m necessary for my first tri (I switched from the Pasadena reverse tri to UCLA's IronBruin 400m/13.5mi/2.75mi), but is it worth it at this point to invest in a lesson to make sure my technique is solid?

What's the saying...10,000 repetitions = second nature, and 50,000 repetitions to unlearn. 

Learning correct technique from the start is always the best.  And in swimming--the most technique-driven aspect of triathlon--it makes the most sense.

2008-01-31 9:17 AM
in reply to: #1182146

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
guncollector - 2008-01-29 12:37 PM

tri shorts 

The thin padding is much better than moisture-absorbing cycling shorts.  I like tri-shorts with some pockets for holding gels and such. I like the longer 8" inseam versions, so they don't ride up on you as much.  Some like the 6" inseams.  Stick with black.  YMMV

Forgive my ignorance but what does "YMMV" mean?

Scott H

Edited by holt1997 2008-01-31 9:18 AM

2008-01-31 4:00 PM
in reply to: #1185952

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
holt1997 - 2008-01-31 7:17 AM

Forgive my ignorance but what does "YMMV" mean? Scott H

YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary 

2008-01-31 5:40 PM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

Great article I just found on Cycling (and Running) Cadence, by Dan Empfield (of Slowtwitch fame).

2008-01-31 6:03 PM
in reply to: #1187674

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
guncollector - 2008-01-31 6:40 PM

Great article I just found on Cycling (and Running) Cadence, by Dan Empfield (of Slowtwitch fame).

Good stuff there, I like this;
"It is frequently the case, though, that employing a faster cadence feels slower. This tends to be more the case with novice athletes, who feel that the application of peak power during the sweet spot of the pedalling or running cycle is the way to get where you're going in a hurry."

I recall vividly the day I read about cycling cadence and the next day I rode my MTB into work and did some checking.  65-75 rpm is what I use to do and would always blow up by 10 miles!  That was 6 weeks before my 1st tri (fat-tire) and I then worked on increasing my cadence to 90+.  The most amazing thing was I increased my speed right off over 1mph for longer rides.

It wasn't but a few days later I read about the correlation of cycle cadence and brick run stride rate and booyah I was on my way!

2008-02-01 4:58 AM
in reply to: #1187718

User image

Veteran
Epsom, Surrey, UK
Hiya, I was just wondering if this group is still open?

I'm a beginner in the UK with two novice tri's lined up for July and August.
2008-02-01 7:35 AM
in reply to: #1187718

User image

Modesto, California
Donto - 2008-01-31 4:03 PM
guncollector - 2008-01-31 6:40 PM

Good stuff there, I like this;
"It is frequently the case, though, that employing a faster cadence feels slower. This tends to be more the case with novice athletes, who feel that the application of peak power during the sweet spot of the pedalling or running cycle is the way to get where you're going in a hurry."

I recall vividly the day I read about cycling cadence and the next day I rode my MTB into work and did some checking.  65-75 rpm is what I use to do and would always blow up by 10 miles!  That was 6 weeks before my 1st tri (fat-tire) and I then worked on increasing my cadence to 90+.  The most amazing thing was I increased my speed right off over 1mph for longer rides.

It wasn't but a few days later I read about the correlation of cycle cadence and brick run stride rate and booyah I was on my way!

See, this is the stuff you can't get from books. I got tendinitis again in my knees just before I was getting this cadence thing figured out on my runs. I'm still working on it, but its starting to become clear! I have always aimed at a high cadence on the bike, if it worked for Lance then why not me!

2008-02-02 5:14 PM
in reply to: #1188280

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

jetlag - 2008-02-01 2:58 AM Hiya, I was just wondering if this group is still open? I'm a beginner in the UK with two novice tri's lined up for July and August.

Welcome aboard!

Group Roll Call

Active Mentees
nevergivein (Stuart)
holt1997 (Scott Holt)
TysDad (Scott Restoni)
dtb (Scott Brown)
Faeron (Faeron)

Recently Joined Mentees
ljrogers1104 (Jim Rogers)
jetlag (Karla)

Inactive Mentees
eric73 (Eric Stevens)
tonyladd (Tony)
Layne44 (Jim Meador)
TriForLife67 (Laura H)
fooddestroyer (Norm)
matthewmac (Norm)
JHagerman (Jeremy)

Mentor Contributors
Donto
TriAya

2008-02-02 6:49 PM

User image

Hi Ron, If you are still OPEN

I would like to be in your group. I started triathlon training Jan. 2007. I'm 42, born on the 4th of July. Background is running Junior College & D2 Cross Country. 25.12 5mile & 32.33 10k, I've done a lot of bike touring but very little racing. Started cyclocross Fall 2006 and running again after 9+ years of inactivity, I'm on the LBS TRI-Racing Team-Epic Sports Bismarck, ND. My wife still thinks I asked to be on the team but the owner did really ask me. I also run for my podiatrist Team FootCare Associates. I currently do not swim very well.

I'm married, my wife Theresa is the 2x Ladies Golf Champion at Apple Creek C.C. in Bismarck. We have two springer spaniels, Denali & Kenai. I work in the Williston Basin oilfield as a well site geologist(Mudlogger) which I just started in January 2007.

My race season depends on my days off. Great American indoor bike Race April 12th, Apple Dual, May 24th Sartel, mn,Bismarck Tri June 8th, Lifetime Fitness Minneapolis, Dickinson, ND Tri July, Mandan Lifenets Triathlon Aug. 28th, Dakota 5-0 Mountain Bike race Sept. Spearfish, SD. Then 3 Minnesota Cyclocross races. 5K's each month when available. Races so far this year Zooyearseve 5k 18:30 cold and icy,

I've have arthritis in my big toes & middle fingers other than that I am fairly healthy.
Dave in ND
2008-02-02 10:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hello Ron and group,
Welcome Pollywog! Hey Ron I was wondering about calories and fat. As I continue to try and lose weight I started to use the nutrition log. I kept track today and it scared me. My calories are good (around 2000) but my grams of fat are through the roof. I know this means I need to change my eating a bit but I am wondering if you know what the conversion is for fat to calories. (How many calories do I have to burn to burn a gram of fat?) Any advice on this matter? Thanks again
Scott H

2008-02-04 9:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA

Hello All, Are you still open?   If so I'd like to be in! I did tri's two years ago, but I am now ready to get back to things.  My wife "em 73" is doing well and she is challenging me, which is great, but I need to get in shape and really start to train. I do have an idea of what I am going to do, but mainly need so people to bounce things off people and get some encouragement at times. 

One thing of note, I travel full time and don't have a consistent place to train during the week, so I'm kind of a hodge podge of training. I will be spinning and swimming on weekends and will do most of my biking then, also when I can get outside. I'll post and blog, so I'll need a little help. 

Thanks!

2008-02-04 10:07 AM
in reply to: #1193151

User image

Master
Small Town
Hey AdCo, welcome.
2008-02-05 6:00 AM
in reply to: #1191680

User image

Veteran
Epsom, Surrey, UK
holt1997 - 2008-02-02 4:51 AM

Hello Ron and group,
Welcome Pollywog! Hey Ron I was wondering about calories and fat. As I continue to try and lose weight I started to use the nutrition log. I kept track today and it scared me. My calories are good (around 2000) but my grams of fat are through the roof. I know this means I need to change my eating a bit but I am wondering if you know what the conversion is for fat to calories. (How many calories do I have to burn to burn a gram of fat?) Any advice on this matter? Thanks again
Scott H

A gram of fat equates to 9 calories, whereas a gram of carbs and protein are about 4 calories.

hth
2008-02-05 8:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Good to know...thanks
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » guncollector's group -- FULL! Rss Feed  

of 15