BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2008-01-07 9:50 PM
in reply to: #1108061

User image

Veteran
San Antonio
Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - Closed
I hope you feel better Elizabeth. I think Bennet is right.

I'm up for any challenge. I'd love a swim challenge but probably need a run challenge.

Sarah,
someone explained to me, (Bennet or Keith I think) that in a challenge, you set a goal for yourself and the team that has the most members that achieves or exceeds their goal wins. Am I right guys?

If you go to forums and scroll down a bit, there is a forum called Challenge Me! That might help
Les

2008-01-07 9:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Does anyone know if there is a way to subscribe to this forum so you know when someone has posted or do you just have to keep checking it?
2008-01-07 9:54 PM
in reply to: #1140315

User image

Pro
Irvine, California
triOK - 2008-01-07 5:29 PM

coldheat - 2008-01-07 4:41 PM Commando it is! And what about female bathroom routine for half iron?

Don't stand next to any one in the water.

Don't draft, or you *will* get peed on.

This topic comes up on the forums from time to time, and apparently, many people even pee while on the bike.  Yes, all together now, EWWWW!  So you probably don't want to draft on the bike either, though you already know it's illegal in most tri's anyway, I'm sure!

2008-01-07 9:54 PM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio
Yep, go to the bottom of the page and click on toggle email notification.
Swim???
2008-01-07 10:24 PM
in reply to: #1140754

Veteran
So let me get this straight...bathroom before the race...but lets say you have to go during the race...in the water you just let it flow which kind of makes sense since youre in the water...but im a little unsure of the bike and run portions...i understand people go on the bike since there have been several warning about being peed on...but do first timers do that...if so is there a method to the kind of gross madness? what about the run!?
2008-01-08 6:43 AM
in reply to: #1140838

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
Good morning all of my little rays oof sunshine. I don't know what methods the females might use for this situation but remember: pee is sterile when it leaves the body. So while it may seem "eeewwww or gross, it's still better than snot or spit. And trust me as a paramedic, I have come in contact with every body secretion imaginable, at some point in my career.  

2008-01-08 9:18 AM
in reply to: #1141098

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
Question Time!!!! Okay, in the 13 week sprint program it has such tainign as "Swim 25" and then "Run 20" listed on the same day. Should this be done as a brick or can I take a good size break in between??? What say Yee?
2008-01-08 9:19 AM
in reply to: #1140838

User image

Master

coldheat - 2008-01-07 10:24 PM So let me get this straight...bathroom before the race...but lets say you have to go during the race...in the water you just let it flow which kind of makes sense since youre in the water...but im a little unsure of the bike and run portions...i understand people go on the bike since there have been several warning about being peed on...but do first timers do that...if so is there a method to the kind of gross madness? what about the run!?

I think there are two things to remember. 

One- There are varying lengths of triathlon.  If you are doing a Sprint, or even an Oly, odds are you shouldn't HAVE to go on the course as long as you don't over hydrate and are sure take care of "things" in the morning before the race.

Second- For your longer distance events, you can run them, or you can RACE them.  If you are running them, as most beginners are, taking two minutes to stop at a porta-potty in a race that will take you 6 or 13 hours to complete doesn't make that much of a difference in the long run.  Just my opinion....

2008-01-08 10:21 AM
in reply to: #1140631

User image

azelizabeth - 2008-01-07 9:29 PM I am curious... I have come down with a nasty cold. Do you work out when you are sick? My body feels really fatigued...but I do not have a fever. Opinions? Elizabeth

NO!!!  No workouts if you are sick!  Your body needs to concentrate itself on fighting the infection, and NOT recovering from a workout.  You won't get any benefit and you will just make it harder for your body to heal itself.  Take the time off, get better, THEN train.

2008-01-08 10:33 AM

User image

I wanted to do a challenge just for us... we have plenty of people.  Who's in?

I will put together the teams this week and we will start next week.  If you are in for the "Kick Your Own @$$" Challenge, post your goals here.  It doesn't matter what your goals are, but you need to challenge yourself.  Don't post a goal that is unreasonable (either something that is way too hard or way too easy).  I will put you on a team and your team will be responsible for keeping you motivated and on track.  We don't need any injuries or burnout, so please, please be sure not to do too much.  I know its hard to train in the winter, but there should be minimal excuses to find a way to train.  Treadmill, trainer, and indoor pools... c'mon guys, SHUT UP AND TRAIN!!!!

The "Kick Your Own @$$ Challenge" will go for 6 weeks.  So plan accordingly.

For example:  My Week 1 KYOA Challenge goals will be as follows:

Running: 20 miles

Swimming:  2x per week (and find a pool and no shoulder injuries!)

Biking (trainer or spin class):  3 hours

Strength:  get back in the gym!  2 hours (if I can find a place to get it done by next week)

Edited by triOK 2008-01-08 10:39 AM
2008-01-08 10:36 AM
in reply to: #1141434

User image

ditchdoc - 2008-01-08 9:18 AM Question Time!!!! Okay, in the 13 week sprint program it has such tainign as "Swim 25" and then "Run 20" listed on the same day. Should this be done as a brick or can I take a good size break in between??? What say Yee?

If its a brick, it will say so.  And *usually* bricks are bike to run.  Sometimes there will be a swim to bike brick, but swim to run bricks are usually not helpful unless you are training for aquathon (or a really long transition run out of the water.)

2008-01-08 10:38 AM
in reply to: #1140742

User image

aber4 - 2008-01-07 9:52 PM Does anyone know if there is a way to subscribe to this forum so you know when someone has posted or do you just have to keep checking it?

You can do it, but I truly wouldn't recommend it.  Someone posts on this thread every 2.4 seconds, so you will get bombarded with emails.  I have learned from that experience.

2008-01-08 10:42 AM

User image

One more VERY important thing that I have noticed here already.  If you are a bad swimmer, you need to concentrate on swimming.  Swim, swim, swim... that's the only way you get faster.  I am sure that for some of you, that is the last thing you want to hear... but DO IT.  Seriously, people.  You would be shocked at how quickly you improve. 

Personally, I have a love-hate relationship with the pool.  I hate going.  Hate it.  But when I get in serious swim time, I actually learn to like it.  When I struggle and have to fight for breath, then that is when I hate it.

Swim, people.  Swim a lot.  Do as I say, not as I do.

SWIM!!!!!!

2008-01-08 10:46 AM
in reply to: #1141766

User image

Expert

Hey Michigan!! Instead of challenging your own group, challenge our group JESSWAH"S....We could call it One Million against a few!!!!!

I SWIM GOOD BECAUSE FAT FLOATS

2008-01-08 11:22 AM

User image

Veteran
I am doing the BT Beginner Sprint Program....Tuesdays are the short run which for me was 21 min today. I'm wondering is this suppose to be a "light day" and just run that time at the same pace or since it's a shorter length are you supposed to pick up the pace. For instance my 35 min run was at about 9.5 min/mile and the 21 min I ran at 9 min/mile. Just wondering if it is designed as a light rest day or more of a faster pace day? Hope that makes sense.
2008-01-08 11:31 AM
in reply to: #1141976

User image

Master

aber4 - 2008-01-08 11:22 AM I am doing the BT Beginner Sprint Program....Tuesdays are the short run which for me was 21 min today. I'm wondering is this suppose to be a "light day" and just run that time at the same pace or since it's a shorter length are you supposed to pick up the pace. For instance my 35 min run was at about 9.5 min/mile and the 21 min I ran at 9 min/mile. Just wondering if it is designed as a light rest day or more of a faster pace day? Hope that makes sense.

When I hold my cursor over date in the Planned Training section on my log, it gives me details for the actual workout.  Does this work for you?  If not, maybe that plan was not set up that way.  Hope this helped.

2008-01-08 11:33 AM
in reply to: #1141717

User image

Master
triOK - 2008-01-08 10:33 AM

(if I can find a place to get it done by next week)

Was that an excuse??? 

Just kidding...

I am in.  I will think about goals at work tonight, and then post them when I get home.  Have a good day everyone!!!

2008-01-08 11:42 AM
in reply to: #1142075

User image

Veteran
Aviator1596 - 2008-01-08 11:33 AM

Was that an excuse???

Just kidding...

I am in. I will think about goals at work tonight, and then post them when I get home. Have a good day everyone!!!

That's what I was thinking...what's this "IF I can find a place" crap???? No excuses
2008-01-08 12:17 PM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio
I'm in for the challenge too. I'll think about my goals and post them tonight too!
2008-01-08 1:11 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
I haven't even run my first tri, but I've already got the bug.

I booked a hotel this weekend to visit family. I never ... ever ... EVER care whether a place has an indoor pool.

However, this time, as I was scrolling through the amenities, I actually perked up when I saw they had a pool ............ because ...... what a great opportunity to get in some training.

It's just funny how my perspective has already changed.

Edited by lkagop 2008-01-08 10:21 PM
2008-01-08 1:31 PM
in reply to: #1142462

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

Well, I wnet ahead and did my swim / run as a brick ( I was at the pol pretty quick after posting this). Just to get my body used to going form one strenuous exercise into another. It felt pretty weird, but good. I had to stop about 3o seconds into the run and stretch out a calf muscle that was wanting to cramp really bad, but other than that..and having to stop twice for a few seconds in the pool,...it was not to awful bad. (The Smoothie I had was horrible thoughFrown). Anway I need to go pick up Brodie form daycare. I hope everyone has a "TRI-ASTIC DAY!!!!"

Peace Out,

Rueben

2008-01-08 2:19 PM
in reply to: #1142112

User image

aber4 - 2008-01-08 11:42 AM
Aviator1596 - 2008-01-08 11:33 AM

Was that an excuse???

Just kidding...

I am in. I will think about goals at work tonight, and then post them when I get home. Have a good day everyone!!!

That's what I was thinking...what's this "IF I can find a place" crap???? No excuses

Ha ha!  That is funny.  And it was an excuse.  You busted me.

2008-01-08 2:24 PM
in reply to: #1141976

User image

aber4 - 2008-01-08 11:22 AM I am doing the BT Beginner Sprint Program....Tuesdays are the short run which for me was 21 min today. I'm wondering is this suppose to be a "light day" and just run that time at the same pace or since it's a shorter length are you supposed to pick up the pace. For instance my 35 min run was at about 9.5 min/mile and the 21 min I ran at 9 min/mile. Just wondering if it is designed as a light rest day or more of a faster pace day? Hope that makes sense.

I am not too familiar with that program, but in my humble opinion, I don't think that program is designed for any intensity at all.  Its written mainly to get you out the door and moving.  Depending on what kind of shape you are in, and more importantly, how long you have been running, you can add a few little workouts were you work to improve speed (i.e. run faster).  But if you add intensity without the proper endurance base you run the risk of injury.  So be careful.

If you want some details on adding intensity I will be glad to post them, but I don't want anyone to take my advice who is not ready to do so. 

2008-01-08 3:50 PM
in reply to: #1142767

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
triOK - 2008-01-08 3:24 PM

I am not too familiar with that program, but in my humble opinion, I don't think that program is designed for any intensity at all.  Its written mainly to get you out the door and moving.  Depending on what kind of shape you are in, and more importantly, how long you have been running, you can add a few little workouts were you work to improve speed (i.e. run faster).  But if you add intensity without the proper endurance base you run the risk of injury.  So be careful.

If you want some details on adding intensity I will be glad to post them, but I don't want anyone to take my advice who is not ready to do so. 

Here's my two cents, if I may!

Robyn's right about this for the start of the plan.  For the 1st month, all the running is low intensity as you build up your base in all the sports.  As far as your specific pace goes, it's fine to be a bit faster on the shorter runs than the longer, but during these low intensity sessions, you don't want to feel like you're out of breath during the run.  As you progress into the 2nd month, there are some more intense sessions doing strides thrown in to further increase your endurance and build speed.

These plans tend to build volume (minutes) over a 3 week period, then back off for the 4th week to help your body recover, then build up to higher levels for the next 3 weeks, and so on.  This is a good plan to follow as it allows you to build endurance in all the sports and then recover so you can improve and lower the risk of injury.  A straight line increase in intensity and lengths would lead to injuries and burnout.

Spefically regarding the 21 vs. 35 minutes for running, you also need to look at what the other two sports are doing.  I didn't try to find those workouts, but I imagine there is a balance of all the sports that allows each of them to progress.  So if the run is less, this allows you to recover in that after the longer run, while maybe the biking or swimming increase.

Also, remember these are guidelines that you should use as targets.  If you miss a workout, or don't do exactly what it says, don't sweat it!  Just move on and continue to enjoy the training! Cool

2008-01-08 4:28 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

I should have introduced myself - I'm a lurker!  I was in Robyn's group's last year - she's right, she does have the best group! Smile  (although maybe I shouldn't admit that now...)

I've learned a lot from Robyn as well as everyone else in our groups, so keep on posting questions and keeping up the conversations, that's how we all learn and do better at this!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 52