BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-02-23 6:23 PM
in reply to: #2687858

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!
stevebradley - 2010-02-23 10:01 AM

MANDY (and Tracey) -

Aw, rats. The forum at the Timberman website says that both T-man events are close to filling-up.......and I'm not close to decision time. I've been dreading this day, watching about twice a week for a status update from Keith. Now I have one, and I'm not a happy boy....

STEVE:

That would be SO cool if you could make it down for T-man! But totally understandable if you can't make the trek. Not sure I would either!

Tracey

2010-02-23 6:36 PM
in reply to: #2687836

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-02-23 9:55 AM

KASIA (and Tracey) -

In a few minutes I will type out what was in a recent issue of "Triathlete" magazine, but I don't want to start off by putting you on the defensive about your current train of thought about bikes. So, I'll start with my own story as a way of suppporting your way of thinking.

When I decided to do triathlon in '00, I needed a bike - didn't own one, even. My resources weren't limited, but I knew I wanted something halfway decent. I was aware of the range of lower-end bikes, and I just ddin't feel that I could get myself fully motivated with a machine that might frustrate my efforts more than I would like. (Sound familiar? ) So, I got a fairly basic road bike, and then had it retro-fitted with tri-enhancing features, such as clip-on aero bars and a "forward" seat post. I loved this bike, but then the following yar I decdied I would take the full plunge and bought a tri-specific bike. It was still aluminum, but had bar-end shifters and triathlon geometry. The in '08 I bought a carbon-frame bike, and that's where I'm at now.

ANYHOW, for me it was important to have a bike that could be converted to triathlon fairly easily, and it sounds like you want to go that way, too. I have absolutely NO regrets about my decision and would support yours, but just so you know......

In The Feb '10 "Triathlete", in an article titled "15 Gotta-Haves: Essential Beginner Tri Gear", #1 is "Bike", and here's what author Jay Prushin says:
"If you're just getting into the sport and doing your local sprint race, it can be your beach cruiser or mountain bike. If you're diving in with an olympic-distance race, we think dad's old ten-speed will do the trick. If the tri-bug bites you, then start thinking about buying a more appropriate bike, maybe with clip-on aerobars. But for now, any bike will do. Take it to your local shop to be sure everything is tight and safe..........Don't worry about feeling fast just yet - that'll come later."

I think the key for you in that is the part about the tri-bug; has it indeed bitten you? I was sure it bit me, which made my decision easier. I also felt certain that I would want to stick with this for quite some time, that it wasn't just a passing fancy. (NOTE: One of my other group started this last year, did a sprint and had lots of trouble, and likely won't ever do a tri again. The bike she bought last year was a hybrid, and she REALLY hated how cumbersome it seemed compared with all the other bikes at the race. But then, her bigger problems were with the swim and the run, and as she isn't likely to do another tri, it's maybe good that she didn't spend bigger dollars on a better bike. But maybe if she had, that might've been some incentive to continue. Just some thoughts!)

I have the feeling you are fairly committed to triathlon, and if so then it makes sense to get a pretty good bike to begin with -- at least one that is relatively light and that puts your body in a favorable position for racing. Note the "favorable", as opposed to "ideal". Tri bikes have "ideal" geometry for triathlons because that will enhance the athlete's ability to run best after the bike leg, but remember too that road bike racers ride road bikes, not tri bikes, so a person can race really well on a road bike. And lots of triathletes actually prefer racing on a road bike, just because that is what fits their body best.

Oh, how I can ramble! .....

I went to www.bikesdirect.com, and there is a lot of stuff there. The deals look terrific, but most of the road bikes come from companies that I am not at all familiar with. That doesn't mean a thing, however, as I never try to keep up with "straight" cycling, so road bikes are a mostly unfamiliar species to me. But I will prowl through there some more and see what I can figure out.

In the meantime, you probably want aluminum. Carbon would be great, but that can push the budget some. Two rings in the front are best; you shouldn't need a "granny" ring. If you see the numbers 53 and 39, that would be perfect. That maeans 53 cogs on the big ring, 39 on the small ring. As for gearing and the back cogset, look for 11-23, 12-23, or 12-25 (in that order). Some cogsets will have 9 cogs, others will have 10, and wither will be fine for you. My first bike had 8 (or was it 9?), which was fine, and my two tri bikes have each had 10, which is ideal.

Components can get confusing, but Shimano is good, as is Campy (short for Camognello, or soemthing like that). If Shimano, 105 is basic, Ultegra is good, Dura-Ace is best.....but my bike shop insists that Dura-Ace is not worth the added ~$500; so, I'm on Ultegra, although on my first bike it was 105 and that worked peachy.

Anything big and glaring that I've missed?

Thanks STEVE.

This is helpful. As I've been thinking about where I want to go with racing in the next couple of years, I think a road bike purchase would make the most sense for me personally. Can't say if I've been bitten by the tri bug yet since I've yet to do my first, but I plan to continue on...

My shorter-term goal (1-2 years) is to continue with sprint-distance races and work on my times. Then, once I get somewhat competitive with those, move on to an oly.

It would be great to know which types of road bikes are best for fitting with tri gear. I, like Kasia, know close to nothing about bikes. I had my eye on this one but really for no other reason than price and aesthetics.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1073180_-1...

2010-02-23 6:42 PM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
STEVE:

Can I ask you to comment on this tri bike?

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1073303_-1...

Thanks!

2010-02-23 6:49 PM
in reply to: #2689082

User image

Champion

STEVE -

SWEET sequence of workouts! I'm especially enamored of the run, clicking off those 7-min miles for 1:09. But come to think of it, i'm also enamored by the swim splits -- you continue to show big gains on your time for the Malibu oly!

And smiling during the run is a fine sign; I sure didn't smile during mine today.

"I've got this thing!!!!" Indeed!

2010-02-23 6:54 PM
in reply to: #2689173

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Interesting run report! At the top, I'll tell you that I have no idea what the swelling about, especially where it was at. that's sort of terra incognita for me.......one of the few bits of square inchage on my lower body that hasn't been stricken by one thing or another. (Sort of like my own small bit of vigin Tamagami wilderness. )

Good to hear that the neuroma backed off towards the end, and as for the shin problems, I'd say that was the result of puddle hopping and just generally slushing-around. i had it similarly today, although that stuff gets my groin going. and for some reason, my toes are very tender, post run. It was 54 minutes, about 10.5km, so it shouldn't've had that effect on the tootsies. They'll be fine tomorrow, i'm sure.

You WILL be back running 15km -- fear not!

2010-02-23 8:13 PM
in reply to: #2689297

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-24 9:15 PM

2010-02-23 11:14 PM
in reply to: #2687836

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
Steve,

Thanks for the clarification about bikes! It definitely came in useful when I went to check out some bikes in town today. Like Tracey, I'm not sure if I've been bitten by the tri bug quite yet since I won't have done my first one until late June, but so far so good. Between the three sports, I've noticed that I really truly enjoy biking, especially on those straight roads out of town that lead to absolutely nowhere. That's probably because all roads out of town are downhill, but details. It's awesome!

With that in mind, I hate my clunker. Hate. Hate. Hate. As amazing as biking next to the Rockies is, grinding away on that P.O.S. kills the serenity and most of the joy. (Let me tell you how I really feel.) And that's why I've been borrowing my roommate's bike whenever she doesn't go with me. It's not ideal, but it gives me a good idea of where I can be with a different bike and a small (relatively-speaking) investment.

Anywhos, the LBS around here is pretty sweet, at least from my novice opinion and reviews online. The guy seemed really cool and knowledgeable, and the shop offers pretty sweet deals if you purchase your bike there: a proper fitting and adjustment, free yearly tune-up, lifetime something or other, and a 0% interest financing option. That last part is the most important since I apparently had no idea how much a bike really costs. I feel like all that support outweighs the savings I would get from buying online. So I'm sold.

He showed me a few Giant women's bikes and talked about making tri-specific adjustments. I'm going to test out a few this weekend when we're getting a "heat wave" (high 40s baby!) so I'll send along specific models then for some advice.

Until then, I bet you guys missed my rambling posts (See Steve, we're kindred spirits...)
Kasia

Edited by augeremt 2010-02-24 3:34 AM
2010-02-23 11:17 PM
in reply to: #2689668

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
midlifeinsanity - 2010-02-23 7:13 PM

It was an awesome performance!!  And during the medal ceremony, the athletes & practically the entire arena sang the Canadian anthem.  Beautiful!  Exactly how the Olympics is supposed to be.  -- M

I love hearing a whole stadium/arena sing the national anthem! I wish Americans did that more often (or at all). It's always amazing watching international soccer/rugby/anything matches and hearing 60,000 people belt out "Oh Canada" or "God Save the Queen" or something like that. Gives me chills. The good kind, of course
2010-02-24 7:11 AM
in reply to: #2689553

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

I think that just about any road bike can be fitted with tri gear. Clip-on aerobars will just attach to the handlebars on either side of the stem (think: "knob" in middle of handlebars), and that's that. On a road bike you'll have integrated brake/shift levers out at the front of the drops (where your hands go), so the aerobars will not impair your shifting or braking. More advanced aerobars, such as mine, will have "bar-end shifters", meaning the shifting is done only there; there are no hifters near the drops. That's a hugh benefit for shifting while one is in the aero position, where I am about 96% of the time. But many people new to serious cycling don't like that at all, as it effectively removes thier hands from the near-vicinity of the brakes. (In scary situations, however, riders "come off" their aerobars and keep their hands right next to the brakes.)

ANYHOW, for you the brake/shift levers would be integrated, and the clip-on aerobars would be there just to allow you to get aero in optimal conditions, such as flats on which you don't have to shift or brake very much. They are a great investment in both speed and comfort, and a good model - the Century, from Profile Design - used to cost about $55.

A "forward" seat post is also something that can be switched in very easily to any road bike, and what it does is shift your position on the bike. However (but this is a small however), you usually need to change some other aspects of your fitting to accommodate the new geometry of the bike. A forward seat post make the geometry "steeper", which helps in several areas, but mostly in running more easily after the bike. More on that later, though.

A third doohickey might be a bottle-holder that will attach to the seat post and stick out behind the saddle. This will hold two bottles, which is good for longer races or rides, but far less valuable for shorter stuff. And related to this is an "aero bottle", which will snug down between the arms of your aerobars. These have a long, thick straw, and with them drinking becomes a matter of simply leaning your head down and/or forward a bit, and sipping. No hands required, and virtually no body movement! The old stand-bys of these are still made by Profile Design, although many newer and more fancy models have come along.

The final item, which has been talked about here before, involves pedals and compatible shoes --- but they too can be fitted on to any road bike, so that is not a concern as you shop around.

I guess the bottom line here is that ALL of the above are able to be retro-fitted to any road bike. Or so I think. Remember, things mechanical and technological are generally anathema to me, but in this case I'm pretty sure I haven't said anything that is way off-course. However, it is worth it to go shopping with a list of possible add-ons, and just asked the merchant if this and this and this and this can be added on later, or even as part of the whole initial purchase. With my first bike, I had the aerobars attached as part of the buying process.

Check some of these toys out at www.tri-zone.com, or look for the website for Profile Design.

2010-02-24 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2690066

User image

Champion

TRACEY again -

Whilst rearranging snow over the past half hour, I was thinking about seat posts. That probably shouldn't be a priority for you right now, as it may be that the geometry of whatever bike you buy is perfect for you. There are scores of people who do triathlon perfectly well on road bikes that have not had their geomtry altered by a forward seat post, so you shouldn't figure you need that switcheroo. And as a lot of it has to do with how a person's specific body fits the specific bike, it's nothing that can be categorically recommended. It might be something to stick in the bike of your mind for whenever, but if your seat post angle is about the standard 73 degrees, you should sit well in that and not need the change to 78 or 80 dgrees.

Just to clarify!

2010-02-24 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2689914

User image

Champion

KASIA -

Judging from your tone in the longer of the posts ----- yup, I'd say you need a new bike! One of my other group had a monster steel bike from way back when, and he acknowledged that it weighed a ton, but he was happy with it. That obviously worked for him, but it obviously won't work for you. I mean, I'm not trying to separate you from your money, but you sound as if you are getting little pleasure from your current bike, and moreover it is affecting how often you want to train. So if you can swing it, a better (lighter? faster? sleeker?) bike might help your frame of mind quite a bit!

If you have a good LBS near you, that is worth its weight in gold. The only caveat might be if the LBS is geared heavily towards off-road stuff, which is a whole different kingdom than road or tri bikes. But in that ultra-competitive bike market that is Boulder and environs, I think a LBS would have to be top-notch to stay in business.

Buying local like you are now considering is well worth whatever additional costs you might incur. $200? $300? $500 more? Possibly. My LBS (from whom I bought my Cervelo) gives me free tune-ups, and as I do that about three times a year, that's about $300 right there. Moreover, they bump me to the top of repair lines, which during the summer is a big bonus. And they were able to fit me properly (although I had a template from a previous fitting), which is soemthing that any bike-seller should offer. They will also be able to tell you the correct size, which is no mean feat. I guess one can do that by "using" a bike shop to get the measurements and then taking those measurements on-line (thousands must do it this way....) to purchase that way, but it just means so much more if the guy who selss to you also fits you. A good relationship with a good bike shop is worth its weight in gold (or maybe I should say carbon!) Worth its weight in carbon. Hey! That works!

Giant makes good bikes, and they are omnipresent enough so that if you moved away from your LBS, someone else could readily service it.

And your posts do NOT ramble. They flow nicely from point A to point G, in fact. (And I have missed them. )

2010-02-24 8:12 AM
in reply to: #2690165

User image

Champion

M and KASIA and DENISE -

Not only do they skate gorgeously, but they give wonderful interviews. They are young (22 and 20?), so they are not jaded and still are very appreciateive of anyone who has ever done anything for them. Moreover, they still have youthful exuberance, and especially for him, there is a lot of the loveable goofball in the off-ice enthusiasm. They'll make great emissaries!

2010-02-24 8:22 AM
in reply to: #2690174

User image

Champion

TRACEY once more -

I just saw your post about the Fuji Aloha.......and it looks great. I just tried to print the specs so I could have them in front of me, but it's not happening so I'll do this from memory.

You'll have an aluminum bike, which is fine; my first wonderful Cervelo from '01-'08 was aluminum. It has "compact cranks", which is a big benefit as it says on the page (but which I won't try to explain here). As you can see from the photo, the aerobars are already there and they have bar-end shifters; the brakes are just the small curlicue levers at the front of the bars. It mentioned Dura-Ace as one aspect of the componentry, so you'll get top-of-the-line there, apparently at no added cost. it has 18 gears, meaning a rear cassette with nine cogs. But i didn't notice the gearing, so I'll go back to check on that.

It is a very good entry-level bike at an excelllent reduced price, so it's definitely worth thinking about. Back to the website with me!

Edited by stevebradley 2010-02-24 8:25 AM
2010-02-24 8:38 AM
in reply to: #2683841

New user
I'm a few pages behind as I've been in training (again...) for a few days...

My questions/thoughts on the glucosamine, chondrotin (and subsequently MSM) were along the lines of trying to offset the old age cartilage breakdown both my parents are starting to experience (both in late 50's) as well as other family members. Not to mention running is not exactly joint friendly so maybe, just maybe this might reduce the chance for cartilage related injuries.

As for daily suplements, I take GNC's MegaMan Sport and fish oil, but only half the dose of each.

SteveB, Holy cow is the Premium Caps from Hammer expensive per dose!! They call for 4-7 per day!! That works out to over $1/day. Here I am using the above (and prior to that One-A-Day multi) thinking $0.15/day for a multivitamin was expensive (especially when compared to other phamracy available multi's). Not to mention, all the products from Hammer are on the expensive side, yet among cyclists around here their gels and Heed are very popular and very highly recommended.
2010-02-24 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2690203

User image

Champion

TRACEY-still-yet-again-once-more --

A carbon fork is good. Shimano 105, which I mentioned yesterday, is also good.

What intrigued me is the cogset, which is a samll cog with 11 teeth and a big cog with 25 teeth. As I was going back to the website I was thinking that with 9 cogs the range must be from 11 to 23, but they surprised me with 11-25. (Usually a nine-cog with a 25 will have a 12 at the other end, i think.)

In a sense, this is good! It means it has the extra option at the top and the bottom. Having the 11 will give you an extra gear to "push" when you are dexcending or on fast flats; that is, you will not "run out of gears". Having the 25 will really help on hills, as it will make steep climbs, or long climbs, much easier. Steve and I have talked about this with respect to the hills at St.George, and I think he will be using a 25 there. The 25 is a great compromise between a 23 as a standard biggest cog, and a 27, which makes tough hills relatively easy.

The downside to an 11-25 cogset is that of the remaining seven cogs, you have slightly limited options, which means that your gearing options for regular old rides is reduced. An 11-23 might have cogs of 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 21, and 23, but topping out at 25 means that something will be missing in the middle range: 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23, 25....maybe? With a missing 14-toother? That isn't a big deal, as a missing 14, say, can be compensated for by another shifting pattern (I know this must sound confusing, but for now just ride with it ).

Thinking on my feet, you will appreciate the 25 (a) if you live or train with hills, and (b) at Timberman! The T-man sprint has at least three climbs on which your legs and lungs will love you a lot if you are working your 25, and while they are certainly doable with a 23, the 25 will make a difference.

I apologize for any confusion I may have caused here. PLEASE let me know if you want me to try again!!
2010-02-24 8:53 AM
in reply to: #2682694

New user

SteveB,

As of recently, I've been aiming for a 30 minute 5k (treadmill pace of 6.2 mph). So 1.5 minutes off and feeling like I could keep going at that pace was great!! I am logging all of my training into the BT log. It feels good making the progress I have, I still think I should do more. Or is it now its harder for me to work away the stress of work??

I rarely combine bike and run. Part of the reason for combining it last Thursday was a) going away over the weekend and b) being time compressed at the gym. If anything, I will run or cycle and then swim. Unfortunately, it has become normal for my knee to be sore right after the run, whether I cycle or not. After taking Ibuprofen and icing last Thursday night, the knee has been feeling great (better than normal). So tonight I am going to go for a 5k run and see what it feels like. If the aftermath is the same, I will be scheduling a visit with the Doc to try and get a diagnosis and more specifically hopefully something with a sports Doc.

I talked about Glucosamine in my prior post. Will have to spend some time on Hammer Nutrition. I agree their website looks great with a ton of information. There is definitely some sticker shock looking at their site though. Also with T.R., did you realize their recommended usage is 4 pills, so its 2000 mg of glucomsamine sulfate, chondroitin sulfate, and MSM? That's quite a bit!

Thanks. The auto show was good. I'd love to think I have the money to be in the market, but realistically, I'm a voyeur. I've been a car guy my entire life (another expensive hobby), and now work in the industry so I like to go and see what the other automakers are selling. Also, me and my dad have been going off and on for many years and since he enjoyes, I like to try and make the effort to go with him. Also, its a good excuse to load up on food I don't keep at my house.

The Forerunner arrived and I feel like a kid at Christmas. I need to spend some time figuring out to use all of its functions. Not to mention the software to look at workouts vs online options and how to maybe integrate it into my BT logs...To make it even more fun, my cell phone has decided this is the week to stop working properly so I'm trying to figure out what new 'smart' phone will give me all the same functionality I'm used to having.

2010-02-24 10:35 AM
in reply to: #2686683

New user
Dwayne,

Sorry to hear about back pain. That is not fun!

Chiroparctors can help. I've seen two that very highly recommended swimming. Hoping it helps you!
2010-02-24 11:05 AM

User image

Well, if yesterday was the "I can do this day,", then today was the, "WTF?" day.  LOL.  40 minute Bike and 30 minute run brick.  Bike felt awkward - couldn't get comfortable on the saddle and aero (I have this problem in the early morning) and the run was abysmal.  Legs were flat and back was stiff.  Dwayne, I am definitely feeling your pain right now!  I think the hill profiles are taking their toll on the back - makes me wish I had done more lower back and core strength training earlier in the build phase.  I think I'll back off of the Dixie Canyon route for a run or two - stick to the flats and let the back loosen up a bit.

Got through it, but it was not fun.  BeIronFit talks about "getting to that point" where you want to stop, and then working through the difficulties in prep of race day where you most definitely will want to stop (likely more than once).  I always expect those moments to come on the long rides/runs, but invariably, they are on these shorter brick days - I suspect because I don't get as "up" for them as the longer sessions, and then when then intensity isn't there from the get-go, it's hard to manufacture it once you're in the workout.
2010-02-24 1:03 PM
in reply to: #2690252

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-02-24 9:43 AM TRACEY-still-yet-again-once-more --  The downside to an 11-25 cogset is that of the remaining seven cogs, you have slightly limited options, which means that your gearing options for regular old rides is reduced. An 11-23 might have cogs of 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 21, and 23, but topping out at 25 means that something will be missing in the middle range: 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21, 23, 25....maybe? With a missing 14-toother? That isn't a big deal, as a missing 14, say, can be compensated for by another shifting pattern (I know this must sound confusing, but for now just ride with it ). !!

STEVE,

This is totally greek to me.   Every year I re-read the stuff on gearing and say I am going to master it.   Still waiting.   I have mastered the 'art' of shifting well, knowing when and how, and am a pretty good rider in that regard and do really well with the hills.  I just don't know what all those numbers mean.    I bought a Spinervals DVD and one of the reasons I don't do it, is because I never know what gear he is talking about.   All I know is I have 12-27.  

2010-02-24 2:37 PM
in reply to: #2690066

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-02-24 8:11 AM

TRACEY -

I think that just about any road bike can be fitted with tri gear. Clip-on aerobars will just attach to the handlebars on either side of the stem (think: "knob" in middle of handlebars), and that's that. On a road bike you'll have integrated brake/shift levers out at the front of the drops (where your hands go), so the aerobars will not impair your shifting or braking. More advanced aerobars, such as mine, will have "bar-end shifters", meaning the shifting is done only there; there are no hifters near the drops. That's a hugh benefit for shifting while one is in the aero position, where I am about 96% of the time. But many people new to serious cycling don't like that at all, as it effectively removes thier hands from the near-vicinity of the brakes. (In scary situations, however, riders "come off" their aerobars and keep their hands right next to the brakes.)

ANYHOW, for you the brake/shift levers would be integrated, and the clip-on aerobars would be there just to allow you to get aero in optimal conditions, such as flats on which you don't have to shift or brake very much. They are a great investment in both speed and comfort, and a good model - the Century, from Profile Design - used to cost about $55.

A "forward" seat post is also something that can be switched in very easily to any road bike, and what it does is shift your position on the bike. However (but this is a small however), you usually need to change some other aspects of your fitting to accommodate the new geometry of the bike. A forward seat post make the geometry "steeper", which helps in several areas, but mostly in running more easily after the bike. More on that later, though.

A third doohickey might be a bottle-holder that will attach to the seat post and stick out behind the saddle. This will hold two bottles, which is good for longer races or rides, but far less valuable for shorter stuff. And related to this is an "aero bottle", which will snug down between the arms of your aerobars. These have a long, thick straw, and with them drinking becomes a matter of simply leaning your head down and/or forward a bit, and sipping. No hands required, and virtually no body movement! The old stand-bys of these are still made by Profile Design, although many newer and more fancy models have come along.

The final item, which has been talked about here before, involves pedals and compatible shoes --- but they too can be fitted on to any road bike, so that is not a concern as you shop around.

I guess the bottom line here is that ALL of the above are able to be retro-fitted to any road bike. Or so I think. Remember, things mechanical and technological are generally anathema to me, but in this case I'm pretty sure I haven't said anything that is way off-course. However, it is worth it to go shopping with a list of possible add-ons, and just asked the merchant if this and this and this and this can be added on later, or even as part of the whole initial purchase. With my first bike, I had the aerobars attached as part of the buying process.

Check some of these toys out at www.tri-zone.com, or look for the website for Profile Design.

STEVE:

All this information is so helpful. Thank you!

I'm on the fence about whether to get a road bike or a tri bike. My common-sense side is telling me to get a road bike, given what my racing goals are. But my compulsive-shopper side is telling me to get a cool tri bike! No really, I keep thinking that given that I'm not a strong runner, I'll need all the help I can get from my race bike in terms of making my run as easy as possible once I get there. But as many have said, lots of people excel in triathlons using a road bike. This is the road bike I'm thinking about:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1073180_-1...

Given that the tri bike I showed you is only $200 more than this road bike, it's a tough decision.

I'm having trouble figuring out from the specs on the Performance Bike web site what the cogsets are on the bikes... is it right in front of me and I'm just missing it??

Thanks again!

Tracey

2010-02-24 3:03 PM
in reply to: #2691367

Master
Kitchener
thall0672 - 2010-02-24 3:37 PM
stevebradley - 2010-02-24 8:11 AM TRACEY - I think that just about any road bike can be fitted with tri gear. Clip-on aerobars will just attach to the handlebars on either side of the stem (think: "knob" in middle of handlebars), and that's that. On a road bike you'll have integrated brake/shift levers out at the front of the drops (where your hands go), so the aerobars will not impair your shifting or braking. More advanced aerobars, such as mine, will have "bar-end shifters", meaning the shifting is done only there; there are no hifters near the drops. That's a hugh benefit for shifting while one is in the aero position, where I am about 96% of the time. But many people new to serious cycling don't like that at all, as it effectively removes thier hands from the near-vicinity of the brakes. (In scary situations, however, riders "come off" their aerobars and keep their hands right next to the brakes.) ANYHOW, for you the brake/shift levers would be integrated, and the clip-on aerobars would be there just to allow you to get aero in optimal conditions, such as flats on which you don't have to shift or brake very much. They are a great investment in both speed and comfort, and a good model - the Century, from Profile Design - used to cost about $55. A "forward" seat post is also something that can be switched in very easily to any road bike, and what it does is shift your position on the bike. However (but this is a small however), you usually need to change some other aspects of your fitting to accommodate the new geometry of the bike. A forward seat post make the geometry "steeper", which helps in several areas, but mostly in running more easily after the bike. More on that later, though. A third doohickey might be a bottle-holder that will attach to the seat post and stick out behind the saddle. This will hold two bottles, which is good for longer races or rides, but far less valuable for shorter stuff. And related to this is an "aero bottle", which will snug down between the arms of your aerobars. These have a long, thick straw, and with them drinking becomes a matter of simply leaning your head down and/or forward a bit, and sipping. No hands required, and virtually no body movement! The old stand-bys of these are still made by Profile Design, although many newer and more fancy models have come along. The final item, which has been talked about here before, involves pedals and compatible shoes --- but they too can be fitted on to any road bike, so that is not a concern as you shop around. I guess the bottom line here is that ALL of the above are able to be retro-fitted to any road bike. Or so I think. Remember, things mechanical and technological are generally anathema to me, but in this case I'm pretty sure I haven't said anything that is way off-course. However, it is worth it to go shopping with a list of possible add-ons, and just asked the merchant if this and this and this and this can be added on later, or even as part of the whole initial purchase. With my first bike, I had the aerobars attached as part of the buying process. Check some of these toys out at www.tri-zone.com, or look for the website for Profile Design.
STEVE: All this information is so helpful. Thank you! I'm on the fence about whether to get a road bike or a tri bike. My common-sense side is telling me to get a road bike, given what my racing goals are. But my compulsive-shopper side is telling me to get a cool tri bike! No really, I keep thinking that given that I'm not a strong runner, I'll need all the help I can get from my race bike in terms of making my run as easy as possible once I get there. But as many have said, lots of people excel in triathlons using a road bike. This is the road bike I'm thinking about: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1073180_-1... Given that the tri bike I showed you is only $200 more than this road bike, it's a tough decision. I'm having trouble figuring out from the specs on the Performance Bike web site what the cogsets are on the bikes... is it right in front of me and I'm just missing it?? Thanks again! Tracey

Hi Tracey,

Have you given a tri bike a test ride yet?   I would suggest that you go for a good half hour to an hour ride on one before making a decision.  It's not something one immediately takes to.  I can't tell you the number of people I see at every race, falling off their bikes at the mount and dismount lines.    You should even give a road bike a good ride too, before purchasing.   If the bike shop won't let you do that, find another shop.   

It's not the bike that is going to win the race, it is the engine behind it. 

My first 'tri' bike was a road bike which I still use as a trainer bike and I absolutely love(d) it.   I had a few adjustments made, as Steve has suggested (not the seat post though) and even starting out, in the shorter distance races and the sprints I was beating women with tri bikes.    My 2nd  current, bike is a custom carbon fiber/titanium frame built for me (only 5' tall) and I continue to beat women with tri bikes.    In my first longer distance this year, a couple of them beat me, but I attribute that to the fact they have been racing 15-20 years.       If I could only have one bike, it would be a road bike.   However, the minute I can afford a 3rd bike, it will be a tri bike. 

Happy shopping.  

2010-02-24 3:06 PM

Master
Kitchener
STEVEB,

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!

Picked up the Fitzgerald book today and it is awesome.   Have finished reading the chapters up to the plans and now I want to do Level 2, instead of 1.  

It is exactly what I was looking for.   I have a few questions to throw at you later, if that is OK.

Going for a long ride on the trainer now.  

2010-02-24 3:07 PM
in reply to: #2691050

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Well, I don't really understand it either - at least not fully. I have tried to master
gear ratios", but to no real avail.

BUT -- The most important thing for you is what you can do with your shifters and your shifting. You know the "when and how" and you do "really well with the hills".........and far better to have those abilities to be a theorist first and foremost, an armchair cyclist.

The 12-27 you have means you can run ot of gears on flats and downhills, but that steep climbs are relatively easy -- you can spin your way up those. And when I've said before that "spinning small, perfect circles" is the best way to do hard hills, well, a 27 will allow you to do that with impunity (um, almost ).

As for "running out of gears", that's what the 12 will do for you! An 11 would just leave you one more gear to "hammer" in, providing more power to your pedaling. If you've ever come down a long, gradual hill, hammering the small cog (the 12) and then there is no more resistance for you to pedal against.....you've run out of gears. An 11 would allow you, I don't know, a few more seconds of hammering before it, too, did not provide any more reistance to pedal against. At this point you can just keep whirling your legs around, seemingly defying gravity.......or you can just stop pedaling and give the legs a rest. A pity there isn't a 10- or a 9-cogger, but that's the way it is. (Do they even make 10s or 9s? I don't think so?)

Did you see the piece about Erik Guay is the Toronto Star today? It's good, and it's ludicrous about that GPS-based STEALTH system. I will try to find it on-line and reference it here.

2010-02-24 3:29 PM
in reply to: #2691367

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

Not exactly right in front of you; I had to search for it, too.

On the right-hand side, above the slightly-bold print of 2009 Fuji Roubaix Road Bike, there are boxes for Features, Specs, and Customer Reviews. Click on Specs and you're there!

Fourth one down is CASSETTE, and you'll see 11-25T. Undser that is CRANKSET, and there you'll see 34/50T. This is telling you that the big ring up front has 50 teeth, the small ring has 34.

Let me know if you can't find this, or if you want any other explanation (hopefully...) for the goobledegook that is there.

2010-02-24 3:31 PM
in reply to: #2691523

User image

Champion

TRACEY again -

Have you read the customer reviews for the bikes? Neither have I --- but I will!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276