of 76

2011-03-31 9:40 AM
in reply to: #3256300

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Is CLOSED

Great questions Jason.

Thanks Coach for answering them. I know that basically all I did this winter on the trainer is ride. It felt like a decent work out and thank God I had a fan beating on my all the time to help with the sweat. However, I do know that all I was doing was riding so I am guessing my first few rides outside will be tough on the legs. The good news (or bad news, depending how you look at it) is I don't have any uphill areas where I live. It is extremely flat in my area so I am trying to pick events with flat conditions this summer. 

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2011-03-31 9:42 AM

2011-03-31 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3423149

User image

Veteran
razorxp - 2011-03-31 9:06 AM

Jason, Your LBS is correct to a point.  The problem is that unless you set a specific workout and push to a certain level most (including me) fall into the trap of just riding instead of training.  I'm not saying riding is bad it just won't help you improve your speed.  Plus you hit part of it as you ride with faster people you will push harder to keep up, the other thing is yes its true you don't have any downhill but you also don't have uphills which tend to burn your legs up quickly. 

I wouldn't worry about it if you did good solid workouts on the trainer you will be just fine.  This is the number one reason for a power meter as you know exactly how hard you are pushing. 

What type of workouts did you do on the trainer? any interval/power/high cadence drills?

i did spinerval dvds which tell you what ring to be in for how long.  they also tell you what cadence to shoot for.  like i said it feels like a good workout but quads do not feel nearly as burnt as they do outside. 

2011-03-31 9:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL

Been awhile since I posted so I'm checking in...

Missed swim workouts last week and go figure, I get a cold yesterday.  Ugh!  Ah well.  I still went to spin class last night and it went well.  Thinking I may have to dial it back a little so I can recover faster from this.

Scott - how's the knee?

Stay safe everyone!

2011-03-31 1:06 PM
in reply to: #3422663

User image

Veteran
Mass.

To boost my swim I decided to use one of the programs offered on BT.  I counted how many workouts I could get in before my first o;ympic distance tri, counted the workouts out and started on workout number six in the program.  3250 yard endurance swim.  Holy crap, was it long!!  The thing says it should take me 65 minutes to do, but I was in the pool 2 hours and cut out 250 yards because I was done! 

I then went out and ran a 10k on a new route.  Uphill for the first 5k!!  I felt like a train wreck when I was done.  Came hone, ate lunch and took an hour nap.

That was the longest and tougest workout I've done so far.

Question for the swimmers out there:My workjout called for a 400 yard warm up.  That felt very hard because I wasn't ready for it.  So is it ok, generally, to break it down into kick and pull drill's that add up to the number they want?  Or should I do pull and kicks, then do the 400, or whatever number it is?

2011-03-31 7:16 PM
in reply to: #3423682

User image

Veteran
kdevarenne - 2011-03-31 1:06 PM

To boost my swim I decided to use one of the programs offered on BT.  I counted how many workouts I could get in before my first o;ympic distance tri, counted the workouts out and started on workout number six in the program.  3250 yard endurance swim.  Holy crap, was it long!!  The thing says it should take me 65 minutes to do, but I was in the pool 2 hours and cut out 250 yards because I was done! 

I then went out and ran a 10k on a new route.  Uphill for the first 5k!!  I felt like a train wreck when I was done.  Came hone, ate lunch and took an hour nap.

That was the longest and tougest workout I've done so far.

Question for the swimmers out there:My workjout called for a 400 yard warm up.  That felt very hard because I wasn't ready for it.  So is it ok, generally, to break it down into kick and pull drill's that add up to the number they want?  Or should I do pull and kicks, then do the 400, or whatever number it is?

i dont consider myself a swimmer yet but my plan often starts with 400 warm up.  i will do 100 free then 50 breast then 50 kick then 100 free and 50 breast and then 50 free.  i will switch it around and do diferent strokes and i take my time to warm up.

2011-03-31 9:11 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

Keith - wish I could help you but I have no idea. I am sure the coach or someone will be able to answer.

Bike on the trainer today. I was hoping to get outside on the bike but no such luck. The weather is still brutal - where the hell is the spring? Did a swim tonight as well.

I hope everyone had a great day.

KC

2011-04-01 7:02 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Morning Team.

Hope all is well. Busy day ahead - big shindig tonight for athletic department so I will not get a swim in today. However, I am shooting for a run, bike and weights this afternoon.  Have a great day and an awesome weekend.

KC

2011-04-01 10:43 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

Jason, I wouldn't stress out too much.  Fear of being dropped is a Huge motivator!!!

Keith that is an awesome workout, don't know if i could swim for 2hrs though. lol   I am far from a swimmer but when I warm up i will typically do breath stroke for 100 just to loosen up my shoulders, then in your case 300 of light freestyle just working on good form.  After that most workouts have you do drills after a warmup so your muscles are looser.  Hope that helps

KC have fun at your "shindig" lol

I am hoping to swim after work and do a nice long bike/run Sat.  Temps are supposed to be around 40 so there will be people riding outside but that is still alittle too cold for me.

Safe training.

Edited by razorxp 2011-04-01 11:28 AM
2011-04-01 10:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL

So, I've been bouncing around different threads here and there and I gotta say that I really appreciate this little community we have here.  Now I just gotta find a way to get the attention of that cyclist I see heading down the same semi-deserted road that I get on and the attention of that runner that I saw while cycling who was wearing Ironman swag.  Time to make those personal connections.

May sound trite - but I believe that our friends are those we are like or want to be like.

Long story short - it's really cool to be part of a group of people that are putting themselves to the test and showing what achievement looks like.

Now - if only my teeth would stop feeling like they are being pushed out of my head, which in turn feels like is going to explode, I can be part of this little club in more than word only...

Edited by robburkett 2011-04-01 11:16 AM
2011-04-01 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3425271

User image

Veteran
Mass.
razorxp - 2011-04-01 11:43 AM

Jason, I wouldn't stress out too much.  Fear of being dropped is a Huge motivator!!!

Keith that is an awesome workout, don't know if i could swim for 2hrs though. lol   I am far from a swimmer but when I warm up i will typically do breath stroke for 100 just to loosen up my shoulders, then in your case 300 of light freestyle just working on good form.  After that most workouts have you do drills after a warmup so your muscles are looser.  Hope that helps

I am hoping to swim after work and do a nice long bike/run Sat.  Temps are supposed to be around 40 so there will be people riding outside but that is still alittle too cold for me.

Safe training.

I did easy freestyle for the WU, but it felt hard.  I was also aprehensive (that's not spelled right) about the whole swim workout.  I'd never done anything like that before.  Bassicly I was just asking if it 'ok' to mix up the warm up in a workout, or if I should just do freestyle.

Gabe- I can only do freestyle.  I'd probably drown if I tried breast stroke.  My 7 year old does it better than I do.

2011-04-01 12:01 PM
in reply to: #3424552

User image

Veteran
Mass.
KC - Have you ever thought of switching pools?  Everytime you write about your swims, there is always negative stuff going on that distracts you.  Just an observation...

2011-04-01 12:36 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good afternoon Team.

Rob: Does not sound trite at all and it is cool to be a part of this community and this specific group. I am thinking about joining the local Tri Club so I can start to make some connections in person. I figure as much as this sport is personal and solitary, it probably helps to make it social when you can.  I hope your cold clears up soon.

Keith – good observation and while it is a busy pool, I need to work on calming my mind and body when I am there and turn off the excuse maker in my head.

Coach, I see you appreciate the term “Shindig” and it should be fun, I will be giving away some awards and consuming a few adult beverages I am predicting.

Off for a run and a bike. (Tim - don't worry I will only be packing my pepper spray not my side arm LOL)

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2011-04-01 12:37 PM
2011-04-01 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3425271

User image

Expert

Caleb - Congrats on selling the house - That is huge especially in this market.

The Masters Group at my pool always warms up with a mix of freestyle, kick w/ board and some pull.  Usually about 200-300 of each.  Usually works pretty good.

I've been swamped at work trying to get soem projects completed.  If I don't get them done the company will pretty much go under and I will have plenty of time to train this summer.  I have had to really modify my training schedule which bothers me becasue I should be peaking for the race this week and next before my taper.  I am going to try and get a 14 miler in this weekend and then my fianl long run of 24 miles is next weekend but I have NO IDEA how I will get it in since I have a show out of town.  You think it is a big deal if I miss this and have long taper (over 3 weeks)?

razorxp - 2011-04-01 10:43 AM

Safe training.

2011-04-01 1:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Sounds like a good plan to open another group and add people to stay out of the archive. I appreciate it.  Can you let us know when to join?  I'm in. 

Leg is tendinitis for sure.  A simple strap is taking care of the pain.  I mean totally shut down the problem. 

As for indoors versus outdoors, lots has been written about which is better.  My coach along with notables like Craig Alexander say indoors is great.  Alexander is doing 90% plus inside, I think I read.  Better workouts, no traffic, can target exact workouts.   I plan to say on the trainer for at least 2/5 workouts a week. ...More efficient plus it saves me lots of time. It takes 30 mins. to get to a safe place in the country to do a workout without worrying about cross traffic...  I suspect you are probably pushing harder to keep up with other riders outside.  But as was said, hard to know without some measure like a power meter.  I suspect you feel better at 160 outdoors due to adrenaline.   You love to race!  Not a thing wrong with that. RPE also is a poor measure.  Many things affect it. 

2011-04-01 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3425538

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
+1 on what Scott just said about continuing the group...
2011-04-01 2:52 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

My day just got bummed out as I text one of my best friends as he was on the bus heading to the airfield to head to Afgan for 14 months.  I cannot imagine that bus ride/flight knowing you are leaving such a great place behind heading over to basically hell putting your life on the line everyday.  Be Sure to thank all our troops

Makes all this tri stuff seam pretty trivial.

Edited by razorxp 2011-04-01 2:54 PM

2011-04-01 3:14 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

Coach - I hope your friend will have a safe tour and you will see him upon completion. You are correct in saying that his mission, calling and dedication makes what we do seem trivial but I am guessing he would tell you that he is doing it so you can do what you do and he is proud and honoured to do it. We should all honour that commitment and think of them every day as we enjoy our freedom of choices, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. He knows you celebrate his commitment coach and I would bet he also celebrates yours. 

Tim - good luck with the company projects.

Enjoy the rest of your day everyone and think about Coaches friend.

KC 

2011-04-01 8:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.

Dave - I hope your friend returns safe and well.

Keith -  When I do a warm up, I take it for just that, a warm up. Swim at whatever pace you feel comfortable going at. If you want to break it down and that feels better, then I would go for it.  For me, it's just to get you loose and to the point you can do the 'real work'. 

Caleb - Nice job on the house sale.

Scott - glad you know what your issue is and can now deal with it correctly.

KC - Hope you had fun at your function.

Dave, save me a spot in the new group too please.

I did my long swim this morning = 3450. 30 min run this evening.       Smile

Tomorrow is a 'reverse tri'. 30 min run, 1 hour bike, 30 min swim.

2011-04-02 4:29 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

No one on yet today? Well I hope you are all having a great day doing what ever it is your are doing.

Deb. I am glad you liked the term "shindig". My Mom who is from Glascow (think I told you that), often used that term when I was growing up and I have always loved it.

The "shindig" last night was a great time. It is always a wonderful night hanging out with and rewarding the student athletes from the college and their coaches for some amazing performances during the academic year. I was very proud of my golf team for being recognized, along with the womens soccer team as having the highest gpa of any of the teams at the college.

However, with a bit of a celebration came a few libations and I had to get up early for the first day of a golf radio segment I do here in my home town. Here comes the shameless plug - AM 800 CKLW 7:30 am every Saturday and if you ever want, you can hear it on the internet live at http://www.am800cklw.com/ , just click on listen live, the main host is Mike Kakuk and together we do about a 15 minute golf segment every Sat. Anyway, I was planning on going back to bed for some rest but decided to do a bit more work on the landscaping and lawn since the forecast today was not bad and I wanted to beat the rain. After several hours of verti-cutting, fertilizing and just messing around outside, I am now laying on my couch with dinner in the oven. My plan called for a run today and I was thinking about a swim tonight but after consulting with my handlers (me, myself and I) LOL, we have decided that today is going to be a day off. I have decided to watch some golf and some basketball this evening, get some much needed rest and get back at it tomorrow.

Have a great night everyone and I hope you are having a great day.

KC   

2011-04-02 8:32 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

KC are you some celebrity or something?? LOL  Glad you had a good time at your shindig.

I was able to sneak away for a nice 7mile run 2.5 with dog and the rest by my self.  Pretty sad my slow butt can wear out a boxer. :-)

Lets hope we can all get outside next week.

2011-04-02 8:38 PM
in reply to: #3427012

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
razorxp - 2011-04-02 9:32 PM

KC are you some celebrity or something?? LOL  Glad you had a good time at your shindig.

I was able to sneak away for a nice 7mile run 2.5 with dog and the rest by my self.  Pretty sad my slow butt can wear out a boxer. :-)

Lets hope we can all get outside next week.

Coach - the answer to that question is NO!

No wonder your dog was tired, he was worried about his budy Blue 2, the Butler Bull Dogs Mascott. The good news is, Butler won so your dog must be happy.

(blue2_hotel_033111[1].jpg)

Attachments
----------------
blue2_hotel_033111[1].jpg (17KB - 5 downloads)

2011-04-03 11:38 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
KC that is too cute... ill did up a pick of our monster.....Off to spin class should be fun as legs are tired for some reason
2011-04-03 1:00 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team. I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Enjoy the spin class Coach - sure will be nice to get out and ride soon though - I can't wait. I have my 15 km route already planned to get to the golf course LOL.

Ran today - a bit slow for me which was weird, I felt good. It was a bit windy - oh well, the good news is I just got home when it started to rain which will be great for my freshly fertilized lawn from yesterday.Smile

Swim tonight at 7 pm.

Enjoy the rest of the day.

KC

2011-04-03 2:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Dave don't forget to tell us the name of your new group when it happens. Thanks for doing it.  I want to stay in touch up to IM Moo.

Rode a had bike yesterday, 90 mins with 2 X 20 mions @ 100% and 95% repectively...then ran 8 miles.  Would have been faster but for the fact I slowed and traced my steps looking for a garmin strap that wasn't lost.  The Garmin cam off, it looked like I'd lost one of the straps, started running back, covered more ground thn I though the watch would hvae stayed on with only one strap and then looked at the watch.  It had come off at the side of the watch so both straps were there and still clipped to one another.  It is my life.  It is hard to be me...

Rode 3:15 on the computrainer today - 45- 50 mph winds are blowing across Illinois as I write this.  Brutal. 

Leg pain is completely gone even with the run yesterday.  Nothing.   The strap, anti inflammatory meds (ibuprofen) , ice, compression. All good. I think my coach was right.  I have a loose right knee that moves across the tendons and makes them sore over time.  Stop the knee, stop the pain. 

2011-04-03 8:40 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

I am not very creative so I will probably keep the name unless anyone has a good idea, could have been the "sickies" over the winter as most of us were sick atleast once.

Scott great news on the leg and as always another great workout for you.  You will have a great race in WI.

Our 15 day forcast has rain listed for 13 of them, good news it will warm up.  I did a couple new drills today for our class as 2 of the students are fast crit class 2 racers.  We did some new speedwork drills and it about killed me, I have never almost passed out on a bike but had to lay my head down for about 1minute.  Was well worth it in the end.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76