BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-02-24 3:34 PM
in reply to: #2691529

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!

ANNE again -

The reference to that article is:
www.olympics.thestar.com/2010/article/770555--podium-plan-questioned

Just if you are interested!

2010-02-24 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2690696

User image

Champion

STEVE -

Mama said there'd be days like this!

I agree with Fink about "getting to that point", and over the years I have actually come to value the days that don't go well. I sure don't want them to come fast and furious, but in moderation I think they are highly valuable as gut checks and psyche checks. As with everything else, working through adversity takes practice, so view these happenings as blessings in disguise, or silver linings to the clouds --- whichever time-honored homily works for you!

I can certainly believe that you don't get up for the shorter bricks as you do for the longer ones, and that is likely the culprit. Another thought is along the lines of maybe getting too up for the shorter ones in that you do them at a faster pace that is taking a bit of a toll on you. That idea might be immediately dismissible, and I guess you're the only one who knows that for sure!

Backing off the hills for a while might be a good idea -- at least worth the attempt to see if it cures what is ailing you. As for the back and core strength work, it's not too late to try to add something there. One or two easy to moderate sessions a week should make a difference come race day, but if you choose to try this, back off the moment your back protests -- if that even happens. And wait a day or two to start strength work down there, or at least until the stiffness goes away.

2010-02-24 4:09 PM
in reply to: #2690285

User image

Champion

SHAUN -

Some nice reports there - the running, the car show, the dad-son bonding, the Garmin......not a bad week at all!

I'll be very interested to find out how the run goes today. I fyou don't post it here, I'll search for it on the log (I know where you live! )

My money is on you to figure out all the intricacies of the Garmin in record time. I think you'll have things all logged and spreadsheeted within about 17 hours from now. Enjoy!

I used to think I could afford the "Hammer habit" - and did for a while - but those days are long gone. I generally ignore their dosing protocols, simply for the sake of saving money. I believe in what they say....but I can't afford to execute it as they advise it. Over the years I have tried practically all of their products, including some of the more obscure ones, such as chrometate and boron. One of the reasons I stopped many of these is that I couldn't remember WHY i was taking them. That's never a good sign! I'm usually ultra-cautious about any meds, so I generally have to know exactly why I am taking any given pill or capsule.

The first time I took some of their products, I was shocked to see my urine bright yellow. I phoned to ask what was up, and they assured me it was because of (something I have now forgotten). It's funny -- when I first started being coached by D3 in '03, and put down on my athlete info sheet that I used various Hammer products, Mike Ricci wrote me and asked "Whar color is your pee after using Race Caps?"

At the time, many of the Hammer products were issued under the brand name "E-Caps", but they got all lumped under the "Hammer" umbrella a couple of years ago. (There's an unsolicited history lesson for you!) (Sorry! )

Have a great run, Shaun!

2010-02-24 4:38 PM
in reply to: #2691464

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-02-24 4:07 PM ANNE - Well, I don't really understand it either - at least not fully. I have tried to master gear ratios", but to no real avail. BUT -- The most important thing for you is what you can do with your shifters and your shifting. You know the "when and how" and you do "really well with the hills".........and far better to have those abilities to be a theorist first and foremost, an armchair cyclist. The 12-27 you have means you can run ot of gears on flats and downhills, but that steep climbs are relatively easy -- you can spin your way up those. And when I've said before that "spinning small, perfect circles" is the best way to do hard hills, well, a 27 will allow you to do that with impunity (um, almost ). As for "running out of gears", that's what the 12 will do for you! An 11 would just leave you one more gear to "hammer" in, providing more power to your pedaling. If you've ever come down a long, gradual hill, hammering the small cog (the 12) and then there is no more resistance for you to pedal against.....you've run out of gears. An 11 would allow you, I don't know, a few more seconds of hammering before it, too, did not provide any more reistance to pedal against. At this point you can just keep whirling your legs around, seemingly defying gravity.......or you can just stop pedaling and give the legs a rest. A pity there isn't a 10- or a 9-cogger, but that's the way it is. (Do they even make 10s or 9s? I don't think so?) Did you see the piece about Erik Guay is the Toronto Star today? It's good, and it's ludicrous about that GPS-based STEALTH system. I will try to find it on-line and reference it here.

I have mentioned to Ken in the past that it seemed like I had run out of gears - maybe I did? 

If I were to get another cassette for the flats, what should I get?   
2010-02-24 4:40 PM
in reply to: #2559115

Master
Kitchener
So happy for Clara Hughes.   She deserves a medal! 
2010-02-24 6:02 PM
in reply to: #2691455

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
latestarter - 2010-02-24 4:03 PM

thall0672 - 2010-02-24 3:37 PM
stevebradley - 2010-02-24 8:11 AM TRACEY - I think that just about any road bike can be fitted with tri gear. Clip-on aerobars will just attach to the handlebars on either side of the stem (think: "knob" in middle of handlebars), and that's that. On a road bike you'll have integrated brake/shift levers out at the front of the drops (where your hands go), so the aerobars will not impair your shifting or braking. More advanced aerobars, such as mine, will have "bar-end shifters", meaning the shifting is done only there; there are no hifters near the drops. That's a hugh benefit for shifting while one is in the aero position, where I am about 96% of the time. But many people new to serious cycling don't like that at all, as it effectively removes thier hands from the near-vicinity of the brakes. (In scary situations, however, riders "come off" their aerobars and keep their hands right next to the brakes.) ANYHOW, for you the brake/shift levers would be integrated, and the clip-on aerobars would be there just to allow you to get aero in optimal conditions, such as flats on which you don't have to shift or brake very much. They are a great investment in both speed and comfort, and a good model - the Century, from Profile Design - used to cost about $55. A "forward" seat post is also something that can be switched in very easily to any road bike, and what it does is shift your position on the bike. However (but this is a small however), you usually need to change some other aspects of your fitting to accommodate the new geometry of the bike. A forward seat post make the geometry "steeper", which helps in several areas, but mostly in running more easily after the bike. More on that later, though. A third doohickey might be a bottle-holder that will attach to the seat post and stick out behind the saddle. This will hold two bottles, which is good for longer races or rides, but far less valuable for shorter stuff. And related to this is an "aero bottle", which will snug down between the arms of your aerobars. These have a long, thick straw, and with them drinking becomes a matter of simply leaning your head down and/or forward a bit, and sipping. No hands required, and virtually no body movement! The old stand-bys of these are still made by Profile Design, although many newer and more fancy models have come along. The final item, which has been talked about here before, involves pedals and compatible shoes --- but they too can be fitted on to any road bike, so that is not a concern as you shop around. I guess the bottom line here is that ALL of the above are able to be retro-fitted to any road bike. Or so I think. Remember, things mechanical and technological are generally anathema to me, but in this case I'm pretty sure I haven't said anything that is way off-course. However, it is worth it to go shopping with a list of possible add-ons, and just asked the merchant if this and this and this and this can be added on later, or even as part of the whole initial purchase. With my first bike, I had the aerobars attached as part of the buying process. Check some of these toys out at www.tri-zone.com, or look for the website for Profile Design.
STEVE: All this information is so helpful. Thank you! I'm on the fence about whether to get a road bike or a tri bike. My common-sense side is telling me to get a road bike, given what my racing goals are. But my compulsive-shopper side is telling me to get a cool tri bike! No really, I keep thinking that given that I'm not a strong runner, I'll need all the help I can get from my race bike in terms of making my run as easy as possible once I get there. But as many have said, lots of people excel in triathlons using a road bike. This is the road bike I'm thinking about: http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1073180_-1... Given that the tri bike I showed you is only $200 more than this road bike, it's a tough decision. I'm having trouble figuring out from the specs on the Performance Bike web site what the cogsets are on the bikes... is it right in front of me and I'm just missing it?? Thanks again! Tracey

Hi Tracey,

Have you given a tri bike a test ride yet?   I would suggest that you go for a good half hour to an hour ride on one before making a decision.  It's not something one immediately takes to.  I can't tell you the number of people I see at every race, falling off their bikes at the mount and dismount lines.    You should even give a road bike a good ride too, before purchasing.   If the bike shop won't let you do that, find another shop.   

It's not the bike that is going to win the race, it is the engine behind it. 

My first 'tri' bike was a road bike which I still use as a trainer bike and I absolutely love(d) it.   I had a few adjustments made, as Steve has suggested (not the seat post though) and even starting out, in the shorter distance races and the sprints I was beating women with tri bikes.    My 2nd  current, bike is a custom carbon fiber/titanium frame built for me (only 5' tall) and I continue to beat women with tri bikes.    In my first longer distance this year, a couple of them beat me, but I attribute that to the fact they have been racing 15-20 years.       If I could only have one bike, it would be a road bike.   However, the minute I can afford a 3rd bike, it will be a tri bike. 

Happy shopping.  

Hi ANNE:

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it! My husband (who is an avid mountain biker) also pointed out that tri bikes can be difficult to ride/steer as well.

After thinking about it, I think I'm going to go with the road bike. Like you said, it can be adjusted/outfitted with tri equipment as needed. And perhaps the road bike will end up being more "versatile" than a tri bike.

2010-02-24 6:33 PM
in reply to: #2690165

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
Steve,

Haha, I totally don't hide my feelings very well, so yeah, I need a new bike. I briefly thought about getting a hybrid since everyone around here mountain bikes (including most of my friends), but then I realized that I don't like the high probability of running into trees at high speed and if I haven't gone at all in the two years I've lived here, then I'm probably not that into it (at least not yet). So road bike it is.

Here's one that the guy at the LBS recommended. At least I think it's this one:

Giant Avail 1:
http://giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/avail.1.white.silver/3881/36263/

3 rings (30/39/50) with a 10-speed Shimano 105 cassette 12/27. So that's slightly off from your recommendations.

There's also the Avail 3:
http://giant-bicycles.com/en-us/bikes/model/avail.3.sangria.black/3881/36265/

also 3 rings (30/42/52) and an 8-speed SRAM PG 850 cassette 11/26.

I've been reading up about road bikes online a bit and heard that I should fork over the extra $200 for the Avail 1 for the Shimano since the alternative's been giving people problems.

That's about all I know about bikes for now. I've also been studying up on gears, cogs, cassettes, and all that jazz, although I'm still thoroughly confused. Here is where I need an explanation/clarification...

1) How do I know how many cogs are on the remaining cogs of a 12/27 cogset for example? I probably just used a whole bunch of wrong terminology, but I hope you get what I'm asking.

2) Is it more advantageous to go lower (11 vs. 12) or higher (27 vs. 23)? Like, if I had a choice between 11/23 vs. 12/27 (or 11/26), which one would be more useful? I guess that depends on terrain, and mostly what I've been riding is 1-3% grades with some 4-5% thrown in for good measure, but once I get in better shape I'd like to do some bigger hills (I think). I guess I'm looking for a totally universal bike.

3) Seems like most bikes that they had at the LBS had 3-rings, but you only really mentioned 2-ring cranks. Obviously there's a difference, but what are the main advantages of both? Do I really need 3, though?

Ok, I think I've send enough loaded questions. Off to spin class since it's still too freaking cold, snowy, and icy to do anything outside (that's the Southern California part of me speaking).

Thanks in advance!
Kasia

Edited by augeremt 2010-02-24 6:36 PM
2010-02-24 9:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Hi,

I swam 1600 yds at the pool yesterday - pretty slow, of course - but my endurance is showing a lot of progress.  Makes me think I might be able to do an Olympic later this summer.  Also, I have a sprint in May which has a bike distance of 19.8 miles which isn't a whole lot less than an Oly.  And I'm pretty sure I could do the 6 mile run with a little more work.

I think I'll just wait and decide in May.  Part of me is lazy - I kinda don't want to do the extra work and I'm in my comfort zone right now.  I've also had knee issues in the past (although, no problem now).

Denise
2010-02-24 9:28 PM

Hello group, my name is Ken. I signed up for this group when it first started, and just couldn't figure out how to keep track of the messages. After talking with Steve, the awesome host, I am back and reconnected. I hope you don't mind my late participation.

I also have been recovering from fevers, cold lately... I was wondering if anyone has any good advice about when you are supposed to go out and train again. I can't wait, but my body was kind of falling apart. And how do you stay away from cold?

Glad to find you all again!
2010-02-24 11:29 PM
in reply to: #2692072

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-24 9:17 PM
2010-02-25 2:38 AM
in reply to: #2647034

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
Steve,

I know you asked about which week of which level of which distance of Matt F.'s plan I was on months ago when I was still preparing for Rage in Vegas, so I'll update you now since I totally changed my plans.

I start with Week 1 of the Olympic Distance plan on March 8th to prepare for the Loveland Lake to Lake Oly-distance tri on June 26. I still haven't decided on a level yet...but probably Level 2 for all three disciplines. I'll try it out but may have to drop down to Level 1 for running and possibly biking. I'll keep you posted, though.

Kasia

2010-02-25 5:50 AM
in reply to: #2691050

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
latestarter - 2010-02-24 2:03 PM  I bought a Spinervals DVD and one of the reasons I don't do it, is because I never know what gear he is talking about.   All I know is I have 12-27.  

Hey it took me a while to figure out the Spinnervals 12 cog and 15 cog on the small chain and stuff.  I am not sure I have it right yet.  There is a section on the DVD that explains it which I haven't had the patience to watch.  BUT all that said, this is what I do-
In Front - (you probably have this one, but what the heck) Big chain - biggest chain, small chain - the middle chain, not granny gear
In Back - If he is looking for higher cadence, I use a easier gear (like 2-3 down from the top), if he is looking for power, I use a harder gear (closer to the bottom of the derailer).  He uses 15 a lot, I think it is somewhere in the middle on my bike.  It has gotten so I go to certain places for the numbers he uses, and I think I am pretty close.  Those workouts are awesome, torturous, but awesome - defiantly worth trying to figure out a way to make it work.  Which one do you have?

Cheers,
Mandy

Edited by manfarr1974 2010-02-25 5:52 AM
2010-02-25 5:54 AM
in reply to: #2661269

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
SAquavia - 2010-02-08 10:05 AM
After calling home for directions twice, I find myself at the top of Soledad Mountain, and headed down to Torrey Pines.  Scary as hell, as it's a 15% downhill grade, and on the TT bike, I can't get back far enough in the saddle to feel safe.  I'm literally hanging my butt off the back end of the seat, above the rear water bottles and crushing the brakes in my hands.  And I keep accelerating!  At the bottom of the hill, it goes straight up, so I shift hard to start climbing and my chain drops.  Turns out, my front deraileur was loose.  So, the chain gets snagged between the big ring and the chain stay, and I can't get it out.  So I'm stranded.  An hour and a half later, Maggie picks me up and we drive back home to LA and the LBS.  They take the crank off, inspect the chain, reassemble, adjust the front and real deraileurs, and I'm back in the game!  So, my century ride on PCH turned out to be 1 hour of frustration in the hills of San Diego, and then three hours on the trainer at home watching the Super Bowl.

SteveA,

I just read this and being from San Diego and driving down Soledad Mountain practically every day for 7 years, I have NO idea how you biked down that. It's brutal even with a car, and must've been insanely scary on a bike. So major kudos to you for braving that!
2010-02-25 5:56 AM
in reply to: #2691681

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
latestarter - 2010-02-24 5:40 PM So happy for Clara Hughes.   She deserves a medal! 

Yeah! She is awesome.  Medals in 2 sports? That is just amaizing. 
2010-02-25 6:10 AM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Hey all-

I am going to be unplugged for the next few days, I am heading into Baxter State Park, coming back Sunday night sometime.  My second time in there this winter, this time for a shorter trip.

Cheers,
Mandy
2010-02-25 6:24 AM
in reply to: #2692067

Master
Kitchener
LadyNorth - 2010-02-24 10:26 PM Hi,

I swam 1600 yds at the pool yesterday - pretty slow, of course - but my endurance is showing a lot of progress.  Makes me think I might be able to do an Olympic later this summer.  Also, I have a sprint in May which has a bike distance of 19.8 miles which isn't a whole lot less than an Oly.  And I'm pretty sure I could do the 6 mile run with a little more work.

I think I'll just wait and decide in May.  Part of me is lazy - I kinda don't want to do the extra work and I'm in my comfort zone right now.  I've also had knee issues in the past (although, no problem now).

Denise

Nice swim, Deinise.   Your consistent training and great attitude is paying off.   Having fun and staying injury free is key.    I bet by May you will be wanting to do that Olympic, for sure.    

2010-02-25 6:28 AM

Master
Kitchener
shunshun - 2010-02-24 10:28 PM Hello group, my name is Ken. I signed up for this group when it first started, and just couldn't figure out how to keep track of the messages. After talking with Steve, the awesome host, I am back and reconnected. I hope you don't mind my late participation.

I also have been recovering from fevers, cold lately... I was wondering if anyone has any good advice about when you are supposed to go out and train again. I can't wait, but my body was kind of falling apart. And how do you stay away from cold?

Glad to find you all again!

Welcome back KEN!   I still remember when I first started looking at these threads and thought what the heck!   I'll never figure out how to communicate.    Hope you beat the fever/cold.  
2010-02-25 6:34 AM
in reply to: #2692277

Master
Kitchener
manfarr1974 - 2010-02-25 6:50 AM
latestarter - 2010-02-24 2:03 PM  I bought a Spinervals DVD and one of the reasons I don't do it, is because I never know what gear he is talking about.   All I know is I have 12-27.  

Hey it took me a while to figure out the Spinnervals 12 cog and 15 cog on the small chain and stuff.  I am not sure I have it right yet.  There is a section on the DVD that explains it which I haven't had the patience to watch.  BUT all that said, this is what I do-
In Front - (you probably have this one, but what the heck) Big chain - biggest chain, small chain - the middle chain, not granny gear
In Back - If he is looking for higher cadence, I use a easier gear (like 2-3 down from the top), if he is looking for power, I use a harder gear (closer to the bottom of the derailer).  He uses 15 a lot, I think it is somewhere in the middle on my bike.  It has gotten so I go to certain places for the numbers he uses, and I think I am pretty close.  Those workouts are awesome, torturous, but awesome - defiantly worth trying to figure out a way to make it work.  Which one do you have?

Cheers,
Mandy

Thanks so much for explaining that.   I have 16.0 Aero Base Builder I, Difficulty 7.5 - 80 Min Interval Session.    I will try it out again on Friday - maybe only a bit of it though.   May need to ease into handling torture.     
2010-02-25 6:36 AM
in reply to: #2692297

Master
Kitchener
manfarr1974 - 2010-02-25 7:10 AM Hey all-

I am going to be unplugged for the next few days, I am heading into Baxter State Park, coming back Sunday night sometime.  My second time in there this winter, this time for a shorter trip.

Cheers,
Mandy

That sounds so great!   What are you going to be doing?   I don't even know where you live.   Is it winter?    We are really excited about a trip to northern part of Florida in April and exploring some of the State parks along the Suwannee river. 
2010-02-25 7:09 AM
in reply to: #2692320

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
latestarter - 2010-02-25 7:34 AM
Thanks so much for explaining that.   I have 16.0 Aero Base Builder I, Difficulty 7.5 - 80 Min Interval Session.    I will try it out again on Friday - maybe only a bit of it though.   May need to ease into handling torture.     

Ha - that one sounds tough!  Definitely ease into it.  When I started, I couldn't finish some of the intervals - I was wiped halfway through some of them...so I did what I could, and now I can complete the whole thing (I have Spinnervals with IronGirl - it is 3 30 minute sessions, that I have done back to back to back before for a 90 min session...I think that is like 7 difficulty though.  I am not even sure).  I will say I have seen dramatic improvement in my biking come spring.  Don't get discouraged, stay within yourself.  I started riding late compared to most people (I was 33 yrs old when I started, not like, 10yrs old like most people), so biking was really tough for me about 3 yrs ago.  Now I am pretty confident on the bike, I have built a lot of strength and confidence, but it took me some saddle time to get there. Spinnervals helped me a lot, if I can scrounge together the cash, I want to get another one.

Cheers!

2010-02-25 7:15 AM

User image

Champion

KEN -

GREAT to have you back, and I'm glad my directions worked!

The rule of thumb for sickness and exercising is that if it's from the neck down, back off until most (or all) symptoms are gone. So if it's a head cold, and if you feel up for it, you won't mess things up by exercising. Stuff in the chest, however, can only be worsened through exertion, so definitely avoid workouts if your lungs are rattling or something.

With head colds, even when I just really want to be pathetic and baby myself, I almost find workouts to have therapeutic benefits. They may not work that way for other people, but if I can force myself up off my tokhis and get active, that sure helps!

Get/stay healthy!

2010-02-25 7:23 AM
in reply to: #2692365

User image

Champion

KASIA -

I've been busily (dutifully?) doing my homework on triple cranksets, and I will post longer, shortly. Or post longer before long? Whatever.

I will hit the other posts first, and I still need time to think more about triples, anyhow. It is something I know little about, and while I can think of the obvious advantages to them, well, that's about it. So when you mentioned some ring sizes to me last night, tat was foreign to me. And just to give you a bit of a "teaser", here are some numbers I found on various forums:
50/39/30
53/39/30
46/36/26

I haven't been back to your post to see if the numbers you cited match those above, but my guess is that the odds are small. I think there are a wide range of combinations for teeth on triple chainrings, and that the three above juts scratch the surface.

I shall return......shortly? Not longly?

2010-02-25 7:28 AM
in reply to: #2692356

User image

Champion

MANDY -

Are you going to playing around Katahdin at all? Lucky lady!

Work or pleasure? Snowshoes or cross-country skis?

And miss us lots, okay?

2010-02-25 7:33 AM
in reply to: #2692322

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
latestarter - 2010-02-25 7:36 AM

That sounds so great!   What are you going to be doing?   I don't even know where you live.   Is it winter?    We are really excited about a trip to northern part of Florida in April and exploring some of the State parks along the Suwannee river. 

I live in northwestern Maine, about an hour from the Canadian border with Quebec - Quebec City is about 2 hours away from me, closer to me than Maine's biggest city, Portland (2.5-3hrs).   Baxter Park (I think I linked it up for you, there web page isn't great) is a very awesome state park that I visit a few times every winter - this is my second trip this winter, and I have one more.  Check out my Jan trip HERE if you are interested. It is basically a backcountry XC ski trip. 

I love to ski, downhill and cross country, and get out as often as I can. Baxter Park is just a magical place for me in the winter...plus,  so few people go, you really have the place to yourself.  We stay in bunkhouses that have plywood bunks (we bring sleeping pads) and a wood stove, we bring everything else in on our backs.  In the summer the place is a zoo, and I don't even bother going, but try to get there for a fall trip once the crowds thin out.

Cheers,
Mandy   
2010-02-25 7:39 AM
in reply to: #2692391

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
stevebradley - 2010-02-25 8:28 AM MANDY - Are you going to playing around Katahdin at all? Lucky lady! Work or pleasure? Snowshoes or cross-country skis? And miss us lots, okay?

Ah, a trip to Baxter Park is always for pleasure for me!  I love that place, really, really I do.  I just haven't been so much in the summer because of their "no dogs allowed" policy, but I can't stay away in the winter. 

XC ski for me!  We are getting dumped on with snow right now too, so it might be a tough trail break in.

So you know Baxter Park - isn't the place just magic!?  This year, no Katahdin.  This is my first year not going up to Chimney Pond in the winter - My friends and I opted for a ski from the north end through to the south end (55 miles or so) for my 5 day Baxter trip, which I hadn't done before and was awesome.  But next year, it is ON - I am back at Chimney and hopefully, if conditions cooperate, summitting.

I will miss GrooveTime! lots   Back with you guys Sun night.  Maybe Monday.

Cheers,
Mandy

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276