BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-02-25 7:48 AM
in reply to: #2692067

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!

DENISE -

1600 yards? Lest I be mistaken that is about 1500m, which is the offical-official distance for an oly swim. You're there! You've done it!

Lest I be mistaken further, it's now 25 Feb and "later this summer" could be in, like, July or August, so that's still 5 or 6 months ahead. That's a huge amount of time to build some speed, and as the endurance is already there, that's where your focus can be. You might want to dabble at the edges of 2000 yards, but if the olympic-distance is your goal, you don't have to go much beyond that in any of your training. Now if you WANT to go beyond that you can, be it to test yourself or just as a testimony to loving swimming, but as for having to? Nope.

Remember too that swimmer will be easier in a wetsuit, that speed will increase and a sense of needing more endurance will decrease. Win-win!

And keeping on the wetsuit theme, if you love yours like I love mine, you will WANT to swim bigger distances once open-water season hits your neck of the woods. Even when my goal races are sprints and olys, I will as a matter of course swim 3-4X a week for 40-60 minutes in open water. I will maybe (usually) add some speed components to those swims, but I just keep them long because I love the act of swimming in open water. And the wetsuit makes it that much easier - and safer.

When I separated my shoulder on june 13 and was told I likely couldn't swim for 6-8 weeks, the thing that devastated me more than possibly losing my race season was the thought that I might lose my open water swimming season! At that point I had done just two OWS (it was a late warming-of-the-waters last spring), and the thought that I might have to wait well into August absolutely floored me. But my recovery was quicker (just 5 weeks) than predicted, so the lay-off wasn't as awful as first feared.

BUT I DIGRESS!

Getting back to you, I think you can pencil in the oly race that you've been eyeing cautiously. You're right - 19.8 is very close to 24 for the bike, and as for the "little more work" for the run --- again, 5-6 months is a lot of time for a "liitle more"!

I agree with M, though -- enjoy the comfort zone while it still appeals to you. There is lots of time (like, those 5-6 months again! ) to build your intensity, and also to get your knees to the point where they can operate wasn't pain. That's a very good argument for working on the run in small increments........and those small increments don't have to start right away.

As for "part of me is lazy" ---- which part is that, exactly? I'm not sure I've seen any evidence of it so far!

2010-02-25 8:15 AM
in reply to: #2691618

New user

SteveB,

Well I hope I'm keeping you entertained a bit...

The run went great!! 5 min walk warmup, 33 min @ 9:40 min/mi followed by a 5 min walk cool down. All at 0.5 deg incline. Stretched and got off the treadmill and knee felt great. I upped my time by 10% (short runs for past few weeks have been 30 min target) with normal pace. (FYI, long runs are at 5.5mph or 10:55 min/mile for 22.5 minutes at a time with a 5 min break between the two sets. Thinking this week of doing 2x 25 min at same pace for long run).  Once at home, one small time getting up the knee bothered me (very very minor) after having my ankles crossed so that that knee rotates away (ie. knee cap pointing say 45 deg to the left away from square to hips) and also bent slightly. I've had this tendency for years and am trying to get out of it to see if it makes a difference. Iced it during the Can-Rus game and feels good today so far.

I've got the basics down with the Garmin. Haven't even started fooling around with the software or online. The one thing I have done is slept with it on for 2 nights now (boys and their toys, what are you gonna do???) so I could see what my real resting heart rate is when I wake up. 55 yesterday and 54 today. I'm interested to see what my HR does while I sleep...Also, based on my inability to truly sit still for 30 minutes and the fact I drink about 5-6 cups of coffee a day, I've never really trusted my 'resting' heart rate checked over the course of a day. Always seemed to end up over 75. More work to do with the Garmin. Really looking forward to it in a spin class to see how hard (or light) I am working and using it outside on a bike.

The 'Hammer Habit' is an expensive one, that being their biggest drawback. A lot of their products make sense though. Do modern day foods really have all the nutrients our body needs (especially with the added exercise of tri training)? I do like the fact they are not huge on advertising (or maybe I haven't stumbled upon where they do advertise...), they let the product speak for itself. I could see trying Heed and their gels this summer on some longer sessions.

A side point that also is interesting is seeing people make a similar recovery product using a good protein powder and adding maltodextrin to get the 4:1 carb to protein taking a lot of the cost out. Another potential idea as I am still on the protein only after a workout and letting the carbs come from my diet (which is a bit low carb).

Back to Hammer, I notice the yellow pee with the GNC multi's I'm using currently. Especially if I miss a day or two, the first day back its very yellow. That is Vitamin B induced isn't it? Also, another positive for Hammer in my mind is getting away from GNC when me gold card runs out. The product from GNC has been OK, however the sales people push that only their most expensive products are worth the money, which I'm not very impressed with. That being said, the one salesman is a velodrome cyclist and recommended cutting the usage to 1/3 of package recommendation.

2010-02-25 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2691865

User image

Champion

KASIA -

• .....and away we go! But first -- remember, I am learning as I go here. As I said before, triple chainrings are an unknown for me, so I did some prowloing this morning trying to get a sense of who has them, and why. They are NOT standard gear on tri bikes or what I consider serious road bikes, although some of what I have read last night and this morning have me re-thinking that position some.

• Going bcak to your post, i see that the rings in the bikes you mentioned are 30/99/50 and 30/42/52. The first matches up with one of the combos I randomly picked out and posted to you an hour or so ago, while the second one is different. But as I said before, the combinations are probably infinite, so it is maybe not demonstrably better or worse than any other combo.

Triple rings are ideal for mountain bikes, but also appeal to people who do lts of demanding climbs. One of the guys who uses a triple says (on www.bikeforums.net) that he finds it essential when he rides Swiss mountain passes, and the bike and components he mentioned were pretty high-end, so this is a serious road cyclist.

My cautious impression is that people who TOUR in hilly areas love a triple, and the term "loading up" is used commonly. I take this to mean that their bikes are carrying a lot of weight, and that having the "granny gear" (third chainring) is what allows them to work the hills fairly easily.

Many tri bikes and road bikes now have what is called "compact gearing", which is what mine is. Instead of a more conventional 53-39, mine is 50-34. In a sense, compact gearing more closely approaches the benefits of a "granny" ring in that it is making hillwork much easier. The common granny gear seems to be a 30, and if my small ring is a 34, then that is closer to the 30 of a granny than a 39 of standard small rings. It's not quite this simple, but pretty close.

Moving on to the cassettes, my thought is worrisome about the 8-speed 11-26. That's a big spread, and with only 8 cogs there have to be some significant gaps. What would I guess on that? Let's see: 11-12-13-15-17-20-23-26? Maybe? That's a very good question for the LBS!! The other cassette makes more sense to me, as a 10-speed 12-27 would have everything you need. For hillwork - wow. Put it in your 30T ring and the big cog (27T) and you can just breeze up steep stuff!

As I read about the Avail 3, the one with 8-speed 11/26, you could really "hammer" flats and descents. That is, you can use your big ring (52T) with your little cog (11T) and you will have a lot of resistance that you can pedal against. What you'll be generating is a lot of FORCE, and you'll be doing it with big, swooping pedal strokes. Most cyclists love this feeling, and when you're in this gearing...on flats...with the wind at your back --- oh, sweet mama!!

Just reading your post further - yup, I'm not surprised that people have had problems with the Avail 3. As I said above (but still, check this with the LBS guy!!!!), eight cogs spread out over that range leaves a lot of room for omitted cogs. This might lead to clunky shifting or even dropped chains. (Dropped in this sense doesn't mean falling-off-the-bike, but just coming disengaged from the ring. You have to dismount, lightly pivot forward the back derailleur, and lift the chain back on the ring. It's a bit messy in that you get chain grunge on your fingers, but very easy to do. Heck! Even mechanically-challenged I can do it!) (And several times a year I have to, so it isn't just a problem with bikes with "missing" cogs.)

You asked about remaining cogs on a 12-27, and as you can maybe see from this post, I piece it toigether and come up with a guesstimate. So for a 12-27? Um, 12-13-14-15-17-19-21-23-25-27? Could be!

In a while I will post a post that I read and that I'm just including to make us all crazy. Seriously! It is from a guy who talks about a "mssing" 16T cog, and the % differnece that makes. I have no idea how he arrived at that % value and other % values in the same post --- but the next person who responded to him agreed, so there are at elat two people out there who know what they're talking about! Stay tuned for that. I might call it something like "Mind-boggling Gearing Math".

In this post and in previous ones in the past two days to Tracey and Anne, I have talked about the advantages of little cogs and big cogs, but just to sum up:
    (1) The bigger the cog, the easier it is to climb. For people who don't climb well or face a very hilly course, they will go with a 25 or even a 27. In these cogs, you can spin up a hill very easily. There is dramatically reduced resistance, and you just focus on spinning small circles as you pedal.
    (2) The smaller the cog, the more force you can generate. People can "run out of gears" on fast flats and downhills, wherein they are pedaling against air - that is, they are moving their legs but asserting no force of the pedals; they have no gears to work with. This happens with a 12 sooner than it will happen with an 11, but even with an 11 it will happen on descents. When one runs out of gears, it's time to stop pedaling and rest the legs until the terrain shifts and pedaling becomes effective again.
    (3) Standard combos are 12/27, 12/25, and 11/23. (Check with LBS guy about 11/25, the best of both worlds but rare, I think). Maybe you can see the trade-offs now -- go with the 12/27, and you get easier climbing but run out of gears quicker. Go with 11/23 and climbing is harder, but you can hammer the flats and descents more effectively.

The best test of this for me came when I did Ironman Lake Placid. I eventually went with a 12/27, figuring I would want to 27 for all the climbing, and that while I might appreciate an 11 for all the descents, I would take the opportunity with the 12 to just rest my legs, saving them for the climbs AND the 26.2 miles to run after I git off the bike. Steve A. is in a similar situation with Ironman St. George -- hily bike, what gearing to use.

Long post!! Are you with me so far? Pleae let me know if I need to go back over stuff. And I just realized I forgot some quotes, so I'm going to post this now so I don't lose it and come right back with some comments.

Edited by stevebradley 2010-02-25 9:08 AM
    2010-02-25 9:03 AM
    in reply to: #2692565

User image

Champion

KASIA again -

WHEW! The biggie didn't get jettisoned into cyberspace!

Some random comments from www.bikeforums.net:

"If you aspire to hill work or loaded touring, go with the triple. Otherwise, get the double, but do not be shy about asking for a larger low-gear cog, such as 25T or even 27T if you need it. I have two triples and two doubles, and no complaints about shifting on any of them."
    (Note: I take this to mean he has FOUR bikes!!!!)

"I have never been on a ride on my road bike when I wished I had a triple -- sometimes I wished I had a 26T, or even a 25T cog -- but never a granny gear. But that's me. Do I look down on triples? Nope. Do other people? Yep -- particularly some racer types. Should that matter to you? Nope. The advantage of a triple is the extra low gearing. The disadvantage is that the cross-gearing problem is even more pronounced than on a double....."
    (Note: I think I understand the concept of "cross-gearing problem" and agree with what he says......but not enough to try to explain it to you with any degree of confidence. So, this is another question for your LBS!)

"Double or Triple.....The lower gearing of the triple will be of less use on the flats, maybe no use, and of minimal use on modest hills. However, if you find yourself on a 6%+ grade at the end of a long ride, you may want that little ring up front. I ride a 12-27 out back with my Ultegra double. Since every road leading to my house has a 300' 10% climb the 27T amkes the last few miles tolerable."
    (Note: His house most offer some fine views!)

"I hate those "granny gears"! Get the double and work on those legs!!"
    (Note: This is included because I think you have either stated or implied that your legs are quite strong. Just a thought!)

I hope those help. And let me know what you think about this, that, and the other thing!

2010-02-25 9:14 AM
    in reply to: #2692609

Master
    Kitchener
    stevebradley - 2010-02-25 10:03 AM KASIA again - WHEW! The biggie didn't get jettisoned into cyberspace! Some random comments from www.bikeforums.net: "If you aspire to hill work or loaded touring, go with the triple. Otherwise, get the double, but do not be shy about asking for a larger low-gear cog, such as 25T or even 27T if you need it. I have two triples and two doubles, and no complaints about shifting on any of them." (Note: I take this to mean he has FOUR bikes!!!!) "I have never been on a ride on my road bike when I wished I had a triple -- sometimes I wished I had a 26T, or even a 25T cog -- but never a granny gear. But that's me. Do I look down on triples? Nope. Do other people? Yep -- particularly some racer types. Should that matter to you? Nope. The advantage of a triple is the extra low gearing. The disadvantage is that the cross-gearing problem is even more pronounced than on a double....." (Note: I think I understand the concept of "cross-gearing problem" and agree with what he says......but not enough to try to explain it to you with any degree of confidence. So, this is another question for your LBS!) "Double or Triple.....The lower gearing of the triple will be of less use on the flats, maybe no use, and of minimal use on modest hills. However, if you find yourself on a 6%+ grade at the end of a long ride, you may want that little ring up front. I ride a 12-27 out back with my Ultegra double. Since every road leading to my house has a 300' 10% climb the 27T amkes the last few miles tolerable." (Note: His house most offer some fine views!) "I hate those "granny gears"! Get the double and work on those legs!!" (Note: This is included because I think you have either stated or implied that your legs are quite strong. Just a thought!) I hope those help. And let me know what you think about this, that, and the other thing!

My first bike came with a triple, and I never used it and did lots of hills.  
    2010-02-25 9:34 AM
    in reply to: #2692489

User image

Champion

SHAUN -

Keeping me "entertained a bit"? How about a lot of bit?!

Great post, and the good runs just keep coming, don't they? I have mentioned plateaus and how one can be stuck on them for a while, but you still haven't reached yours. You're on a real roll, and when those happen they are just about the best thing can happen. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

It also sounds as if you are being smart about your runs. I'm specifically thinking about your 5 minutes each of warm-up and cool-down, which is a great practice to instill in yourself. I'm sure your body fully appreciates each end of the runs! Beyond that, it seems as if you are content to work at this same distance, and also to keep your runs decently spaced -- two other reasons for your body to behave for you!

That's a funny account of sleeping with the Garmin. I think it's just a matter of time before you figure out how to program it to record your sleeping heart rate hourly, and gte that onto your BT log. (Or have you figured it out already?)

Hammer is a phenomenal sponsor of races, which of course is highly appreciated by people who like their product. I'd say that of the races I do that provide on-course gels and gels in the goody-bag, 80% of them are Hammer-supplied. The use of HEED at race aid stations is less common, just because Gatorade is so easy and inexpensive to buy. Mostly, though, they have grown by word-of-mouth -- and to me, by providing products that work. I'm thinking here specifically about the actual race-day products -- Hammer Gel, HEED, Perpetuem, and Sustained Energy.

Hammer Gel works best for me, but it is not the one I enjoy the flavor of the most. They have made some changes over the years to temper the maltodextrin taste some, and that has helped. But lots of people love that taste, which is the case with any edible anywhere. I will use other gels if ultimate performance doesn't matter, but when it does -- I go with Hammer Gel.

As for HEED -- I love it! It is relatively mild (no "bite"), and regardless of the flavor they use (there are four of them now, plus an "unflavored" one, i believe) it is just SOOOOO tasty.

Perpetuem hd problesm for people initially, but when it forst premiered in '03 or '04, I used it to great effect. I rhen wnt off it for a while, but have jumped back in a big way with the new mocha flavor -- lord, that's fine! But Perpetuem is designed for longer efforts, as is Sustained Energy (think chalk, but slightly vanillafied chalk ), so you don't need that expense yet.

Back to HEED and the gels, HEED is not all that expensive, and all gels are about the same cost. They are both good habits to develop, so you might want to start experimenting with some here and there.

I posted a month or more ago about chocolate milk, which is a great recovery drink. This isn't Quik, but rather the stuff that is ready-made by an actual dairy. Protein levels are usually quite high, and the carb content is good, too. This option is certainly less expensive than preocessed "recovery" drinks -- although I always keep Recoverite around for when I think I need a serious recovery drink. I really think that Recoverite helps me in all of the ways it claims. And both flavors of it appeal to me, too.

Finally, admirable honesty form the velodrome guy!

2010-02-25 9:40 AM
    in reply to: #2692634

User image

Champion

OLYMPIC THOUGHT

In the wacky world of short-track speed skating, why would anyone start a celebration before the judges have finished their reviews??
    There were the Koresans last night, skating around for five minutes with their flags and smiles ---- only to find out that they had been DQed. I can see subtle celebrations after the race seems to have been won, but to "go public" as they did....in a sport where DQs happen frequently.....that just seems foolish.

2010-02-25 9:41 AM
    in reply to: #2692720

User image

Champion

ANOTHER OLYMPIC THOUGHT

Ashleigh McIvor is another great interviewee, and I see a future in sports commentating whenever she retires from skiing.

2010-02-25 9:42 AM
    in reply to: #2692728

User image

Champion

FINAL OLYMPIC THOUGHT

CLARA HUGHES FOR PRIME MINISTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2010-02-25 12:51 PM
    in reply to: #2692565

New user

SteveB / Kasia,

Well what do you think of an 9 speed 11-32 with a triple chainring?!?!? That's what my mountain bike has and there are times I wish it had more to choose from. I'm amazed to talk to people that are out there riding around on either 1x9 (1 chain ring with a 9 speed cassette) or a single speed mountain bike. The single speeds look to be the 'medium' (or small on double) chainring with a small cog (say 11-15).

Changing cassette's isn't difficult so long as you have the right tool (For Sram/Shimano cassette's I believe its $15 or less from Park Tool), so that one guy may have 4 cassette's for one bike ($25-$75 vs who knows what his bikes are worth.

Kasia's comment about trees and biking, I agree...Some of the trees are darn close to the trail and knowing my brain is my money maker has resulted in me not riding the trails more often or in potentially dicy conditions.

Also, not sure if either one of you have stumbled upon it, but http://www.sheldonbrown.com/ is a great bicycle resource. Not the best looking website, but plenty of information. And specifically about drivetrain...http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gearing/index.html

Edited by smarx 2010-02-25 1:52 PM
    2010-02-25 1:34 PM
    in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Texas
    Thanks everyone for the chiro advice.  1st treatment and already feeling beeter

2010-02-25 1:50 PM
    in reply to: #2693353

User image

Champion

SHAUN -

In reading about triples, that got me a bit into the domain of mountain bikes, and I was amazed at some of the cogset options. I guess it shouldn't surprise me, but it is just so different from the world of light bikes and skinny wheels.

For some reason I once brought my tri bike to a reputable bike shop in Ottawa, but one I had never used before. I brought it in with my race wheels on, and the flock of young workers there were flabbergasetd by the wheels. It was a sif thye had never seen their like before......and as I looked around the shop, I could see why -- it was mountain bike heaven! I guess I went ahead with whatever minor task I needed on my bike, but I never went back there, figuring my kind of bike just wasn't their type of specialty.

About 8 or 9 years ago i thought about mountain biking as a way to keep me cycling aggressively for more months out of the year, but my wife didn't want more money poured into this whole money trap. It's probably just as well, too, as given my history of injuries and my multiple childhood incidents of cracking my head open (this is the truth....), me and mountain biking might not have been a safe relationship.

2010-02-25 1:52 PM
    in reply to: #2693497

User image

Champion

DWAYNE -

Good to hear about the preliminary results from the chiro visit. May it continue to improve! My experience with lower back pain, just about where you described yours, is that it is miserable at the time but clears up pretty quickly with rest and/or treatment. I hope it works that way for you!

2010-02-25 2:02 PM
    in reply to: #2692634

User image

Champion

ANNE -

I just went to check on how the day's workouts went......and when I got there I remembered that you often post them before you actually do them. You almost had me!

Anyhow, how did they go? I see them as morning entries, so I assume you're done with the 45'/60' efforts. Rousing successes, I hope?

After 26 straight days of doing something or other - or several somethings or others on most of those days - it looks as if I am on a pure rest day. Probably a good thing, as I haven't felt very inspired lately. However, i have started doing one-arm drills in the pool, and am enjoying them. Those and fist drills -- good to switch up, and then satisfying to return to full freestyle.

Off to dinner in Ottawa, then a play this evening. Can't say I'm psyched about that, either, so I guess I'm just a difficult cuss to please, eh?

Edited by stevebradley 2010-02-25 2:03 PM
    2010-02-25 4:39 PM
    in reply to: #2692067

User image

Regular
    Fort Worth, Texas

LadyNorth - 2010-02-24 9:26 PM Hi,

I swam 1600 yds at the pool yesterday - pretty slow, of course - but my endurance is showing a lot of progress.  Makes me think I might be able to do an Olympic later this summer.  Also, I have a sprint in May which has a bike distance of 19.8 miles which isn't a whole lot less than an Oly.  And I'm pretty sure I could do the 6 mile run with a little more work.

I think I'll just wait and decide in May.  Part of me is lazy - I kinda don't want to do the extra work and I'm in my comfort zone right now.  I've also had knee issues in the past (although, no problem now).

Denise

Denise, what a great swim!  Can't imagine that lazy is part of your vocabulary.  You are one of the ones here that is such an inspiraton.  I have little doubt that you will be ready for an Olympic distance if you choose to do it.  I am impressed.  Given my anxiety about a mini-spint, it is hard to imagine an Oly.  My goal for next year will be simply longer sprint distances.

Rode my bike for a slightly longer ride yesterday.  Can't believe how much I'm enjoying it.  Still getting used to the gears, etc but it is coming quickly.  No sit bone issues yesterday, and my shoulders were fine.  I moved my seat back a bit, tried to keep them relaxed and focused on keeping my hands light.  Thanks to everyone for the advice. 

Steve A, sorry about your back issues and Dwayne glad your back is improving.

2010-02-25 9:47 PM
    in reply to: #2692609

User image

Veteran
    , Louisiana
    Steve,

Wow! You're amazing. And that's an understatement. I think I follow you. At least I think I do. One more thing, what does the "T" after the numbers mean? As in "25T"?

I have a triple crankset on my mountain bike, and I've noticed that I rarely use the middle cog when biking around town/going on rides, which would be the purpose of the new road bike. The middle cog is usually used just for a short transition between the large and small ones right before I hit that monstrous 7% hill right before my office. I don't know how to figure out how many cogs there are since it's a hand-me-down bike (short of getting on my hands and knees and counting) so I guess that's of no use. But I see your (and Anne's) point about only needing two chainrings, especially since I don't plan on riding Swiss mountain passes anytime soon.

With all this info, I think I'll be able to sound half-decent at the LBS on Saturday. At least now I know what to look for, besides sparkly new bikes with nice paint jobs, which was my M.O. last time.

I'll keep you guys posted!
    Kasia

2010-02-25 9:55 PM
    in reply to: #2693353

User image

Veteran
    , Louisiana
    Shaun,

Thanks for those links! I especially love the glossary. I'm definitely be spending a lot of time there

I also hear you about protecting the brains. I kind of like mine and don't really trust the helmet (or myself, for that matter) enough to avoid serious injury. It's also the reason I try to avoid trees when snowboarding. Maybe I'm a pansy, but from my experience (and that of my friends) s*** happens even if you're really good and careful.

Kasia
    2010-02-25 10:20 PM
    in reply to: #2694426

User image

Champion

KASIA -

Oops! I apologize for not clarifying that first -- it's T as in "teeth".

Because I'm too lame to write my numbers down, I have spent lots of time on my hands and knees, counting teeth. In fact, I did it this morning to get the teeth on my rings. Now, a wise person would put these numbers somewhere handy, and for that purpose my log is right in front of me, but do you think I'll do it?

2010-02-25 10:24 PM
    in reply to: #2694476

User image

Champion

KASIA again -

Ta-da! I did it! The 50-34 is in my log!!

(Now I just need to write down somewhere that I've done that, and where I put it. Uh-oh.........)

2010-02-26 6:16 AM
    in reply to: #2692703

New user
    SteveB,

So back to the wine recovery....Are you telling me that beer isn't even good to use as carb loading??? Hrrmm wine just doesn't go with hockey like beer does!!

2 games to go, should only get more exciting from here!

I agree with you about having Bertuzzi on the team the last go around. Really un-classy for Canadians in my opinion.

As for someone being a Leafs fan (I'm sorry, I don't recall who that was...), my deepest sympathies go out to you. Growing up in 'Leaf's Nation' has only resulted in me only having a passion for watching them lose. To this day I still know people who believe every season is the Leaf's season to win the cup.
    2010-02-26 6:37 AM
    in reply to: #2694675

Master
    Kitchener
    smarx - 2010-02-26 7:16 AM SteveB,

As for someone being a Leafs fan (I'm sorry, I don't recall who that was...), my deepest sympathies go out to you. Growing up in 'Leaf's Nation' has only resulted in me only having a passion for watching them lose. To this day I still know people who believe every season is the Leaf's season to win the cup.

I BELIEVE.    Laughing

2010-02-26 8:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Carver, Massachusetts
    2 mile run today in 22:41. Not quite 2 miles in under 22 minutes that I'm shooting for, but hopefully I'll get there soon (maybe 10 minute miles in time for the race in August....??)

Tracey

Edited by thall0672 2010-02-26 9:24 AM
    2010-02-26 8:58 AM
    in reply to: #2694850

Master
    Kitchener
    thall0672 - 2010-02-26 9:32 AM 2 mile run today in 11:41. Not quite 2 miles in under 11 minutes that I'm shooting for, but hopefully I'll get there soon (maybe 10 minute miles in time for the race in August....??) Tracey

Nice Run!   You are a fast runner.   I don't relate to miles but I think that is 3.2 km which is under a 5 min pace/km.   

Like your new avatar.  
    2010-02-26 9:14 AM

Master
    Kitchener

STEVEB,

Don't know if you saw my post from a couple of days ago thanking you for your recommendation on the Fitzgerald book.   I am so happy with it and in reviewing the HIM program, Level 1 and Level 2, it is looking better and better.   I am going to change my training days to follow it exactly.   Had actually planned on moving my swims to Wed/Fri because there are less people swimming at the 7:30-9:00 sesson.   On T/Th, could only get an hour which, as time progresses, won't be enough. 
    The plan calls for a couple of tune up races in weeks 12 (sprint) and 16 (Oly) and I had planned on doing Milton (wk 13) and Guelph Lake Oly which is week 16.  

Checked to see how our Florida trip would impact the training and I think it will work out OK.   We are leaving on April 8th which is the end of week 5 and returning on the beginning of week 8 (recovery) and the build starts on week 9 and that is also when the longer and harder bike sessions start, including the hills. 

During week 6 we still be able to get our runs and bikes done and come the 17-22, it will be biking every day.   Hope to be able to get a few swims in, but it will probably be minimal.  

I've pretty much finished reading the book and wish I had discovered it earlier.   I am already excited about doing a Level 5 or 6 plan next year for a real HIM (if this year goes well

I did get 5km in for running yesterday after my swim and felt very well.   I wasn't sure how my legs would be after my long bike ride the day before.   It was a very easy ride, but the longest since the fall and my legs did feel a tad heavy when I woke in the morning.  

I have a big yoga day on Saturday.   Taking a class by Essac Garcia, the 2005 world asana champ at 10:00 and then attending a posture clinic led by him from 12:00-4:00.     I'm excited about it and will probably freak when I see the kind of things he can do.   Cool

2010-02-26 9:23 AM
    in reply to: #2694930

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Carver, Massachusetts
    latestarter - 2010-02-26 9:58 AM

thall0672 - 2010-02-26 9:32 AM 2 mile run today in 11:41. Not quite 2 miles in under 11 minutes that I'm shooting for, but hopefully I'll get there soon (maybe 10 minute miles in time for the race in August....??) Tracey

Nice Run!   You are a fast runner.   I don't relate to miles but I think that is 3.2 km which is under a 5 min pace/km.   

Like your new avatar.  

OOPS!

I meant to say, 2 mile run in 22:41! Wow, imagine if I could run 2 miles in 11:41? I think I'd be ready for the Boston Marathon... Better go fix that.

New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276