Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2011-04-05 8:54 PM
in reply to: #3256300

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Is CLOSED

Coach - thanks for touching base with the team doctor for me!

I for one have not practiced any transitions but it is on my list of stuff to start doing as soon as this semester ends in a couple of weeks. I have put my wet suit on and off a few times though - does that count LOL. I guess I should get off my rear end and enter something so I have a reason to practice my transitions.

Swam tonight, nothing great but still going. Still waiting for that break through. Maybe I will find it when I am in the open water with my wet suit on and a bunch of people crawling all over me LOL.

Have a great night everyone.

Run and Swim on the schedule for Wednesday.

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2011-04-05 9:00 PM

2011-04-05 8:59 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Deb I say we make up a race with transitions only. Drink a beer then change again. Lol.....kc have you been extending your time between breaks in the pool
2011-04-05 9:07 PM
in reply to: #3431629

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

razorxp - 2011-04-05 9:59 PM Deb I say we make up a race with transitions only. Drink a beer then change again. Lol.....kc have you been extending your time between breaks in the pool

Count me in for that transition testing Smile

I am not sure what you are asking me? Are you asking if my breaks between laps is getting shorter or longer? I would say they are getting shorter - I am definately not as winded after a 50 or a 75 and do not rest as long. I have been doing some much longer swims (for me anyway) with the pull bouy - I can do 300 easily if I am using it. I am varying my breathing - every 2, every 3 etc. just to change it up. It almost feels like my kick is just not sinked with my body or my body rotation. I feel like there is almost a dead spot in my stroke and my momentum just stops. OK - that is enough about my swimming - I sound like a broken record. Thanks for asking.

Off to bed - it was a busy day with all that doctor stuff - I need some sleep.

Have a great night team.

KC

2011-04-06 9:01 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

KC, I was seeing how far you were swimming before a break.  I would say this week you should try and go 100 or 150 before a break.  Even if that means flipping on your back and just kicking for a few seconds.

I am having second thoughts about doing this group again (JK) but I was walking to a clients office yesterday and it was like getting hit with a hammer in my rt. knee.  Since then it feels like bone on bone in my knee.  The only thing I have done different is I did a treadmill/ely workout Monday that worked my legs pretty good but nothing too major.  Talked to my buddy who is an orthopod and the 1st thing he thought was a meniscus (no clue on spelling) tear.  He wants me to RICE for a few days and take celebrex to see if that helps if not MRI and possible surgery.   Too weird as I was just walking when it happen and the exact thing happen to my father inlaw.  I'm thinking this whole training thing is dangerous as its caused me about $25k in med bills since I started. LOL  

2011-04-06 9:28 AM
in reply to: #3432082

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL

Yikes!  Get rest and heal Dave!  Wow that's just weird that something can happen like that.  Is this like a repetitive stress type of injury?  I thought meniscus tears were from a singular event...

Ran with my fiance yesterday.  She originally was going to do 4.6 and halfway through she said "Let's do the 5.1 route."

That's my girl!  It was a nice easy run at a 10 min/mile pace and I felt like I could do it forever.  Felt like Zone 2 or 3 for me.  Funny part - I had to talk my legs out of what they were saying, which was "I WANNA GO FAST!!!"

2011-04-06 10:37 AM
in reply to: #3432082

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
razorxp - 2011-04-06 9:01 AM

KC, I was seeing how far you were swimming before a break.  I would say this week you should try and go 100 or 150 before a break.  Even if that means flipping on your back and just kicking for a few seconds.

I am having second thoughts about doing this group again (JK) but I was walking to a clients office yesterday and it was like getting hit with a hammer in my rt. knee.  Since then it feels like bone on bone in my knee.  The only thing I have done different is I did a treadmill/ely workout Monday that worked my legs pretty good but nothing too major.  Talked to my buddy who is an orthopod and the 1st thing he thought was a meniscus (no clue on spelling) tear.  He wants me to RICE for a few days and take celebrex to see if that helps if not MRI and possible surgery.   Too weird as I was just walking when it happen and the exact thing happen to my father inlaw.  I'm thinking this whole training thing is dangerous as its caused me about $25k in med bills since I started. LOL  

Jeez, take care.   As for asthma, no.  Allergies yes and they have been awful this spring.

The strap continues to keep my tendinitis totally in check.  Running 7.5 with the club tonight.  On furlough days from the paper.  Loving this rest and workout cycle.  Really recharging. 

2011-04-06 10:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Mass.
I am having knee pain also.  Inside towards the back.  Mine just feels like tendon pain though.  Good luck Dave!  My wife threw out her back a few years ago when she sneezed.  You never know.  Also having hip pain.  Taking today off, as I have planned a big workout for myself on Friday.  Just going to swim tomorow and then Friday will be bike to the pool (5 miles), swim, bike back and then go right to a run (hoping for 6 miles).  Can't wait!
2011-04-06 11:25 AM

User image

Expert

Hey guys - just checking in.  Sounds like a doctors office in here latleySurprised.  KC - glad to hear nothing major with the ticker.  Dave-hopefully with some rest you can get that knee taken care of.  In my last group the mentor was suffering from something similiar.  Rest and PT seemed to help him alot.

Work has been completely brutal for me lately.  I can usually handle stress pretty good and my job pushes the limits on that but lately it has just been over bearing and I find that the one thing that suffers is my workouts.  This week has been better and I have been able to get back into a routine.  I know some people use workouts and go on runs as a stress reliever and I have found that since I have been training full time my stress level is down but I just lose my motivation.  I am sure everyone here has a stressful job or situation and what do you guys do to cope?  What suffers or gets dropped in your life?

It is funny how your body and mind can adapt to this lifestyle.  I was really down this weekend about missing my workouts but then I started thinking about how when I was doing my marathon traingni I only was running 3 days a week with no cross training.  When I started Tri's I was really worried about working out 5 days a week but now 5 days is light week and I get bummed when I don't get 6 days in.   Crazy but it made me feel better - haha

Happy hump day and hope everyone has a great reaminder of the week.

2011-04-06 12:24 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

Thanks everyone, I too hope its nothing but a pinch.

Tim as for coping with stress and training.  I have found that if things start hitting the fan I will usually deviate from my workout plan and just exercise (run/bike).  Don't know why but mentally if I know I have to do a x:xx run its like a job but if I say I am going for a run with music I tend to run just as long just not structured.  Same for if the plan says to do a ride, I will find a group to ride with and just make it fun ride, even though its still a workout.  I can't say I every go for a swim as that is not a whole lota fun.. LOL :-)  Hang in there and just keep remembering were all in this for fun.

2011-04-06 2:59 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team - I hope the weather wherever you are is better than the rain I am experiencing - going to have to run inside again today - at least I will have the Par 3 contest from Augusta on the tube to watch when I run.

Coach - This may be a stretch but your knee issue appeared after a different swim workout - any chance you could have strained something in the pool? Maybe a different kick? Whatever it is, take care of it!

Now, one more thing - are you telling us that you don't go swimming just for the fun and exercise of it? Please, please tell me that one of these days I am going to love it so much that when faced with the option of running, biking or swimming I am going to pick swimming - LOL

Tim, while I don't have nearly as much experience as you guys I would echo Dave's advice. I am using this as an outlet and to get involved, enjoy something different and to get a bit more social and meet some real cool people like all of you in this group. I, like most of us here I presume, am a competitive person by nature and want to do more than just participate but I know my life will get in the way. My Schedule recently has allowed for me to stick to a pretty good routine but that is not always going to be the case. I am guessing that when the rest of my life (work) starts to disrupt my training schedule I will just have to adapt my routine and enjoy the times I will be able to run, bike and swim and enjoy the people I meet along the way when I can work it in.

OK - off to my basement for an exciting run on the mill and a trip to the pool tonight.

KC

PS - Coach - just being selfish here, I do want you to stick around but if your life does take you in a different direction from this group, do what is best for you.

2011-04-06 3:41 PM
in reply to: #3432954

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
kcgolf - 2011-04-06 3:59 PM

Hey Team - I hope the weather wherever you are is better than the rain I am experiencing - going to have to run inside again today - at least I will have the Par 3 contest from Augusta on the tube to watch when I run.

Coach - This may be a stretch but your knee issue appeared after a different swim workout - any chance you could have strained something in the pool? Maybe a different kick? Whatever it is, take care of it!

Now, one more thing - are you telling us that you don't go swimming just for the fun and exercise of it? Please, please tell me that one of these days I am going to love it so much that when faced with the option of running, biking or swimming I am going to pick swimming - LOL

Tim, while I don't have nearly as much experience as you guys I would echo Dave's advice. I am using this as an outlet and to get involved, enjoy something different and to get a bit more social and meet some real cool people like all of you in this group. I, like most of us here I presume, am a competitive person by nature and want to do more than just participate but I know my life will get in the way. My Schedule recently has allowed for me to stick to a pretty good routine but that is not always going to be the case. I am guessing that when the rest of my life (work) starts to disrupt my training schedule I will just have to adapt my routine and enjoy the times I will be able to run, bike and swim and enjoy the people I meet along the way when I can work it in.

OK - off to my basement for an exciting run on the mill and a trip to the pool tonight.

KC

PS - Coach - just being selfish here, I do want you to stick around but if your life does take you in a different direction from this group, do what is best for you.

I was just kidding as we all seem to be sick or injured in this group!! :-)

As for the swimming, I swam under 10 times before my IM in Idaho last year.  I do everything I can to get out of going to the pool.  I do love swimming in the lake but don't have one close.  Ponds are ok but usually have a bunch of muck on the bottom (nasty) or are too small to enjoy.  To be honest if I am doing anything for fun it is MT biking, I love the challenge of it. I have some friends that race that push me past my limits many times. I have ate a couple trees in my playing around.

2011-04-06 8:18 PM
in reply to: #3432954

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
kcgolf - 2011-04-06 2:59 PM

KC

For what it's worth, when I started swimming I hated it but now I'm pissed that the pool is closed for 2 weeks and I don't get to swim.  Not saying I love it every time I go but I actually do enjoy it now for the most part. 

2011-04-06 9:03 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

Caleb - Hope you are doing well and I had a nice swim tonight and enjoyed it.

MASTERS starts tomorrow Smile and I can't wait to get on that bike trainer and watch it!!

I hope everyone is well. Have a great night.

KC

PS - FYI -  that is the Masters Golf Tournament - not masters swimming LOL

Edited by kcgolf 2011-04-06 9:13 PM
2011-04-06 9:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.

Masters? Isn't that the game with stick things and little white lumpy balls Wink

Question for team Sickies.........Ok, I'm a 'little' anxious here. On Saturday I will be 10 weeks from my HIM (OMG  that's 70 days Surprised). I know people have said "just follow the plan", however, by following the plan, my longest ride has been 2.5 hours = 35 miles. Surely there is no way this is going to give me enough time/ miles on the bke with such little time to go?

If it were you, would you up your bike miles?

2011-04-07 12:58 AM
in reply to: #3433509

User image

Expert

What is the longest ride for the whole plan or remaining 10 weeks?  From what I remember that sounds about right.  I think the longest bike I did for Branson was 58 miles ( 3h 26m) or something and I was fine for the race.  The workouts that helped me the most were the long bricks - 3 hour bike / 1 hour run.

I would say you should do at least two 50+ mile rides and not worry about the suggested times.

cheekymonkeys1 - 2011-04-06 9:33 PM

Question for team Sickies.........Ok, I'm a 'little' anxious here. On Saturday I will be 10 weeks from my HIM (OMG  that's 70 days Surprised). I know people have said "just follow the plan", however, by following the plan, my longest ride has been 2.5 hours = 35 miles. Surely there is no way this is going to give me enough time/ miles on the bke with such little time to go?

If it were you, would you up your bike miles?

Edited by tmoran80 2011-04-07 1:03 AM
2011-04-07 7:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL

Alright - so taking a few days off paid off huge dividends.  Two days back in and I am throwing down some solid numbers on the power meter in spin class.  Tomorrow I'm off to pick up my packet for the Shamrock Shuffle.

Got some great news last night at the end of spin class as well.  My instructor told me that he is working with some folks training for an Ironman and they go to a local lake for OWS.  He said to remind him when the weather gets warmer and we'll swing it.

Remind him?  He'll be begging me to stop asking him!

2011-04-07 7:15 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Morning Team.

Deb - it sounds like you are describing that picture coach posted several days ago - I am talking about the greatest game ever invented GOLF Smile. Sorry I don't have enough experience with biking yet to to give you any advice so I will agree with Tim lol.

Rob - nice work my friend and great news you will have a group to do some OWS with.

Have a great day everyone.

KC

PS - 8:15 AM EST and the Masters is under way.

2011-04-07 7:44 AM
in reply to: #3433771

User image

Expert

What lake? Something in the Forest Preserves?

robburkett - 2011-04-07 7:01 AM

Alright - so taking a few days off paid off huge dividends.  Two days back in and I am throwing down some solid numbers on the power meter in spin class.  Tomorrow I'm off to pick up my packet for the Shamrock Shuffle.

Got some great news last night at the end of spin class as well.  My instructor told me that he is working with some folks training for an Ironman and they go to a local lake for OWS.  He said to remind him when the weather gets warmer and we'll swing it.

Remind him?  He'll be begging me to stop asking him!

2011-04-07 8:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL

Go get it KC!  BTW - I LOVE to swim.  First time I got in the water to do a training swim and I felt right at home.  I giess I'm one of the lucky ones.  And I flunked swim class when I was six - but that was 35 years ago.

Deb - yeah - I'm about 10 weeks out from my Oly and I've started dreaming about it.  Not nightmares yet but we'll see.  I'm getting to the point where I'm going to test out my wetsuit in the pool...

2011-04-07 8:15 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

KC this is the most excited I have been about masters, I think part of it is the tiger train wreck factor.

Deb,  as Tim said what is your longest scheduled ride?  Also I tend to differ than most as I like training on mileage not time.  I know the distance of a race so why wouldn't I base my training on those.  If you are going out for a long ride (no brick) feel free to ride alittle longer as if anything it will help you mentally.  If you have never ridden 56 miles it would be nice for you to know you can do it.  The nice thing about doing long bikes is there is very little stress on the body.  Some will do the planned workout at a certain pace then just ride longer and a slower pace just to be in the saddle longer.  

2011-04-07 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

Tim is exactly right as for the most important bricks for any triathlon, they are the long brick workouts.  No workout can simulate coming off the bike into a long run.

We do tempo rides at OLY pace for 50 miles to blow our legs up then jump to a 6-10 mile run.  Those stink. 

2011-04-07 8:21 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

Rob, thats awesome you feel recharged with great power!!  How long is the shamrock shuffle? isn't it a few weeks late? lol  Having a place to to OWS is such an advantage especially with a group so nice find!

2011-04-07 8:32 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

They just archived the groups so I guess they will be switching over. I have no control when they release mentors so hang tight and keep checking this site too.  I will open the new group to a handful of people and save spots for all interested.

David

2011-04-07 8:39 AM
in reply to: #3433915

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
razorxp - 2011-04-07 9:32 AM

They just archived the groups so I guess they will be switching over. I have no control when they release mentors so hang tight and keep checking this site too.  I will open the new group to a handful of people and save spots for all interested.

David

Hey Coach - just let me know and count me in!

2011-04-07 9:05 AM
in reply to: #3433915

User image

Expert

Count me in please.  And I havn't weighed in on this yet but they really do need to make these mentor groups longer.  I think someone already said this but you just start to get comfortable and know everyone and then its over.  Doesn't make sense.  Maybe they could offer two types one annual and one quarterly.

razorxp - 2011-04-07 8:32 AM

David

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76