BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2010-07-18 11:14 PM
in reply to: #2988483

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Subject: RE: brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now!
Meulen - 2010-07-18 5:19 PM Hey guys, and gal! I had a really goodtime this weekend. Just got back. I did ok in the the tri. I ended up swimming no wetsuit. I finished in 44 minutes on the swim. Not fast but I made it and didn't have to stop much at all. I had a really good bike. I avg 21.6 mph on a course that was a little longer than expected 26 miles and had a l it more hills than they said. I'll cover all that when I download the data and write the race report. I'm really sorry to hear about Tims issues. I actually had the same problem. I did 2 gels and had 40 oz of Gatorade on the bike. When I got to the run my quads locked by mile 1. I managed to run/walk/massage/run and salvage a 10k under an hour. So I beat all my goals but the run and my secret goal of finishing under 3 hours. I was 21st in my ag and finished in 3:04

Nice job Brian.  Now that you got the first one your under belt, you will be stepping up to the HIM in no time!

2010-07-18 11:15 PM
in reply to: #2988517

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

shmeeg - 2010-07-18 5:41 PM Nice work Brian!  And an early congrats to David, looks like he did well by the tracker data!

Yep, looks like Dave had a good race.

2010-07-19 8:32 AM
in reply to: #2988860

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-07-18 11:14 PM

Meulen - 2010-07-18 5:19 PM Hey guys, and gal! I had a really goodtime this weekend. Just got back. I did ok in the the tri. I ended up swimming no wetsuit. I finished in 44 minutes on the swim. Not fast but I made it and didn't have to stop much at all. I had a really good bike. I avg 21.6 mph on a course that was a little longer than expected 26 miles and had a l it more hills than they said. I'll cover all that when I download the data and write the race report. I'm really sorry to hear about Tims issues. I actually had the same problem. I did 2 gels and had 40 oz of Gatorade on the bike. When I got to the run my quads locked by mile 1. I managed to run/walk/massage/run and salvage a 10k under an hour. So I beat all my goals but the run and my secret goal of finishing under 3 hours. I was 21st in my ag and finished in 3:04

Nice job Brian.  Now that you got the first one your under belt, you will be stepping up to the HIM in no time!

Thanks. I just put up a race report. My wife did a great job finishing the sprint and is now an official triathlete as well!

I'm confused about a couple things.

1. When I got out the water the volunteers were yelling times. They said 37 minutes when I got out. My pace says 2:47/100 which adds up to 37, but my time says 44 minutes?????

2. Why the heck am I cramping like this? I don't do that in my bricks, and I cramped this way in the Xterra too on the run. I stay hydrated and my fitness should be there. I need help, what is going on? I cramp on the last part of the swim in my toes and I cramp in my quads or hamstrings on the run??? HELP!!

Edited by Meulen 2010-07-19 10:19 AM
2010-07-19 10:47 AM
in reply to: #2770949

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
23: 273 Brian Vandermeulen 236 M 35 44:01.9 2:41 02:15.4 01:12:15.3 21.6 01:47.8 01:04:25.1 10:22 03:04:45.5

There's the results. I don't get the 2:41 pace and then 44:01.9. Not that I should care, that's a crappy slow pace reguardless. However, the volunteers yelled 37 minutes when I got out of the water. The BT calculator calculates 37 minutes being a 2:40 pace for 1500 m swim. Was the swim not 1500m perhaps?
2010-07-19 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2989223

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Meulen - 2010-07-19 6:32 AM 

1. When I got out the water the volunteers were yelling times. They said 37 minutes when I got out. My pace says 2:47/100 which adds up to 37, but my time says 44 minutes????? 2. Why the heck am I cramping like this? I don't do that in my bricks, and I cramped this way in the Xterra too on the run. I stay hydrated and my fitness should be there. I need help, what is going on? I cramp on the last part of the swim in my toes and I cramp in my quads or hamstrings on the run??? HELP!!

Was the transition mat not right there when you got out of the water?  Did you have a mile to run to the transition area?  That's the only reason I could think of it adding time like that...or it added T1 to the swim total somehow?  Strange.

Maybe you're going too hard on the bike?  Do you wear a HR monitor while racing?  If you're killing yourself to average a certain mph, you would probably benefit by slowing it down a little on the bike and feeling stronger on the run.
2010-07-19 12:05 PM
in reply to: #2989936

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shmeeg - 2010-07-19 11:58 AM

Meulen - 2010-07-19 6:32 AM 

1. When I got out the water the volunteers were yelling times. They said 37 minutes when I got out. My pace says 2:47/100 which adds up to 37, but my time says 44 minutes????? 2. Why the heck am I cramping like this? I don't do that in my bricks, and I cramped this way in the Xterra too on the run. I stay hydrated and my fitness should be there. I need help, what is going on? I cramp on the last part of the swim in my toes and I cramp in my quads or hamstrings on the run??? HELP!!

Was the transition mat not right there when you got out of the water?  Did you have a mile to run to the transition area?  That's the only reason I could think of it adding time like that...or it added T1 to the swim total somehow?  Strange.

Maybe you're going too hard on the bike?  Do you wear a HR monitor while racing?  If you're killing yourself to average a certain mph, you would probably benefit by slowing it down a little on the bike and feeling stronger on the run.

transition was very close to the water exit. Maybe 50 yards.

I didn't wear my HR monitor in the race. However, I didn't feel like I over did it on the bike and even felt I may have saved too much when I got off. I spent the last couple miles at high cadence low power.

2010-07-19 12:15 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Hm.  Well, it sounds like either overexertion or dehydration symptoms to me, but I'm definitely no doctor.  The only time I ever cramp up is from heat exhaustion, so I don't have enough experience w/ it to give you the answer.   What about salt/electrolytes?  Do you just drink water on the bike? 
2010-07-19 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2990010

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shmeeg - 2010-07-19 12:15 PM

Hm.  Well, it sounds like either overexertion or dehydration symptoms to me, but I'm definitely no doctor.  The only time I ever cramp up is from heat exhaustion, so I don't have enough experience w/ it to give you the answer.   What about salt/electrolytes?  Do you just drink water on the bike? 

I drank gatorade perform. This is the wierdest feeling. I don't even feel tired, I just cramp. Literally I can easily run 8mph for a mile and then get a cramp, massage it out and run 8 mph for another. I'm barely breathing, which leads to believe my HR isn't elevated at all.
2010-07-19 12:27 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Yeah, that is weird.  Maybe you're just a freak of nature Laughing
2010-07-19 12:29 PM
in reply to: #2990050

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shmeeg - 2010-07-19 12:27 PM

Yeah, that is weird.  Maybe you're just a freak of nature Laughing

hope not...might as well quit now then.
2010-07-19 2:06 PM
in reply to: #2987845

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
brick94513 - 2010-07-17 9:41 AM

I don't know what happened, but my body failed me yesterday!  I have never experienced cramps like I did yesterday.

At the end of the day, I had consumed about 200 ounces of water, 2 sodas, large lemonade, plus various foods and only had a scant amount of urine output.  Absolutely crazy!  I've never experienced dehydration to this magnitude (cramping, nausea, dizziness, and lightheadedness).   Even while sleeping last night, I woke to muscle spasms in my hamstrings.

Just an absolutely horrible day.  Even more frustrating, I don't know where my plan went wrong.  I hope dave has a better day than I had.  The weather is predicted to be similar.

Totally shooting in the dark here, Tim, and I'm sure you know more about this than I do, but could this have been a case where your body's fluid absorption rate was slower than your sweat rate?

I get dehydrated regularly as I'm a heavy sweater. I've tried to combat it with consuming slightly more than I need to replenish, only to be disappointed and dehydrated yet again. It seems to happen way more often when the humidity is high outside - I'm convinced I absorb fluids very slowly. I need to do more research to find out how I can combat this....

Anyone have any ideas? 

2010-07-19 2:14 PM
in reply to: #2988483

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Meulen - 2010-07-17 8:19 PM Hey guys, and gal! I had a really goodtime this weekend. Just got back. I did ok in the the tri. I ended up swimming no wetsuit. I finished in 44 minutes on the swim. Not fast but I made it and didn't have to stop much at all. I had a really good bike. I avg 21.6 mph on a course that was a little longer than expected 26 miles and had a l it more hills than they said. I'll cover all that when I download the data and write the race report. I'm really sorry to hear about Tims issues. I actually had the same problem. I did 2 gels and had 40 oz of Gatorade on the bike. When I got to the run my quads locked by mile 1. I managed to run/walk/massage/run and salvage a 10k under an hour. So I beat all my goals but the run and my secret goal of finishing under 3 hours. I was 21st in my ag and finished in 3:04

WTG Brian! Sounds like you guys were dealing with some really adverse conditions if everyone was cramping/locking up. I don't know how you guys kept going - champion mindsets for sure! Congrats on even finishing! Kiss 
2010-07-19 2:45 PM
in reply to: #2990062

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Meulen - 2010-07-19 10:29 AM
shmeeg - 2010-07-19 12:27 PM Yeah, that is weird.  Maybe you're just a freak of nature Laughing

LOL, somehow you don't strike me as a quitter
2010-07-19 3:00 PM
in reply to: #2990565

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shmeeg - 2010-07-19 2:45 PM

shmeeg - 2010-07-19 12:27 PM Yeah, that is weird.  Maybe you're just a freak of nature Laughing

hmmmmm...maybe not, but I'm allowed to get frustrated.
2010-07-19 5:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Brian - congrats on your oly! Your bike split is super impressive!

Quick summary of my race: Awesome race. I accomplished both of my two big goals:
1) beat my 3 friends...which I did, with 9 minutes to spare on the second finisher and
2) finish under 6 hours...final time was 5:38. I was really happy with my swim and bike times. I did fall apart a bit on the run but I didn't totally blow it.

The longish summary...

Swim: 31:26 - I got a short warmup in about 10 minutes before my wave start...mostly to warm up the wetsuit. =) I felt really good on my swim. The water temp was warm - definitely not too hot though. The first few hundred meters was actually pretty hectic. Lots of jockeying going on. It felt like about half of my wave wanted to be in the lead for the swim. At one point I got really pissed that someone was riding my and then someone else was bumping into my hip. I decided to let it go, find some clear water, put my head down and focus on swimming. It was a bit foggy which made sighting pretty hard. The turnaround snuck up on my and I didn't take a great line. After the turnaround it was super shallow but once I got past that part, I found lots of clean water and before you know it I was on the beach.

T1: 3:56 - Nothing spectacular. The run to my rack felt long. The gravel parking lot seemed like a terrible idea. I tried to get all the sand/rocks off my feet before putting socks on.

Bike: 2:52:37 (19.5mph) - I really didn't know what to expect on the bike since the course terrain and distance aren't like any of my other bikes I've done. I thought 3 hours felt like a good goal, maybe even a little on the optimistic side. Overall, I was stoked to average 19.5 mph because I don't consider cycling a strength of mine. The first half went by pretty fast. I spent a lot of time in the aero bars, doing a lot of passing since I was in the last wave. At mile 29 my back was starting to stiffen up and I saw my girlfriend who was working an aid station. As I rode by I asked her to find me some advil for T2 when I would hopefully see her again.

At mile 37, I caught my buddy Brian (my biggest competition of my friends I was competing against) who's wave started 16 minutes before mine. We rode together for about 4-5 miles and I felt like I was pushing a slightly faster pace than him. Chalk hill comes at mile 44 and I decided I'd try to put a gap on him up that hill. I pushed up Chalk (it was even shorter than I remember it) with no problem. Then it's 10 mostly flat miles into the high school for T2.  I knew I was on pace to hit 3 hours, if not better. After the dismount line as I was running my bike into transition, I saw my girlfriend who handed me three advil (bless her heart).

T2: 3:50 - I royally screwed up here. The entrance was slightly different than it was the day before when we dropped off our run gear and it just had me all confused. I ended up running up and down the racks an extra time that I didn't need to. On my way out, I hit the port-a-potty. Without the bathroom break and extra running with the bike, I probably would have been closer to 2 minutes.

Run: 2:06:47 - I had some side stitches during mile 1, but by mile 2 I felt better and was ready to settle in for a long run. I knew I had to really blow it to not make 6 hours so that was a great feeling. At mile 4, Brian catches me and keeps on going. I started doing some serious math in my head trying to figure out how fast I needed to run to not lose more than 16 minutes from that point forward. At the turn around, I knew I was about 2 minutes behind him. It started getting REALLY hot, and my legs just didn't want to turn over. The rolling hills were brutal and I did a lot of run/walking up them. At the 10 mile mark, I told myself it was just an easy 5k to go, but my legs still didn't want to work. I started convincing myself that Brian was such a better runner than me, that I'd lost the race to him. FINALLY, I made it to the finish line, couldn't walk straight, was light-headed, thought I was going to fall over. Brian and my gf congratulate me. Then Brian tells me I won it by about 9 minutes! Apparently, he had just as much trouble with the heat as I did and started slowing down as well. VICTORY! After getting lots of food and water down, I started feeling better and was able to enjoy the finish line a bit.

It was an awesome weekend, and so much fun to spend it with a big group of friends who are also competing. This is what makes the sport so much fun. The people are amazing and so supportive. It is sad in a way because that is my last tri of the season, and I have no idea of what I want to do next season. I'm pretty sure a full ironman is out of the question though. =)

Big thanks to you guys for all your encouragement and advice along the way. You guys rock!
2010-07-19 7:38 PM
in reply to: #2991043

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
dhopman - 2010-07-19 5:57 PM Brian - congrats on your oly! Your bike split is super impressive!

Quick summary of my race: Awesome race. I accomplished both of my two big goals:
1) beat my 3 friends...which I did, with 9 minutes to spare on the second finisher and
2) finish under 6 hours...final time was 5:38. I was really happy with my swim and bike times. I did fall apart a bit on the run but I didn't totally blow it.

The longish summary...

Swim: 31:26 - I got a short warmup in about 10 minutes before my wave start...mostly to warm up the wetsuit. =) I felt really good on my swim. The water temp was warm - definitely not too hot though. The first few hundred meters was actually pretty hectic. Lots of jockeying going on. It felt like about half of my wave wanted to be in the lead for the swim. At one point I got really pissed that someone was riding my and then someone else was bumping into my hip. I decided to let it go, find some clear water, put my head down and focus on swimming. It was a bit foggy which made sighting pretty hard. The turnaround snuck up on my and I didn't take a great line. After the turnaround it was super shallow but once I got past that part, I found lots of clean water and before you know it I was on the beach.

T1: 3:56 - Nothing spectacular. The run to my rack felt long. The gravel parking lot seemed like a terrible idea. I tried to get all the sand/rocks off my feet before putting socks on.

Bike: 2:52:37 (19.5mph) - I really didn't know what to expect on the bike since the course terrain and distance aren't like any of my other bikes I've done. I thought 3 hours felt like a good goal, maybe even a little on the optimistic side. Overall, I was stoked to average 19.5 mph because I don't consider cycling a strength of mine. The first half went by pretty fast. I spent a lot of time in the aero bars, doing a lot of passing since I was in the last wave. At mile 29 my back was starting to stiffen up and I saw my girlfriend who was working an aid station. As I rode by I asked her to find me some advil for T2 when I would hopefully see her again.

At mile 37, I caught my buddy Brian (my biggest competition of my friends I was competing against) who's wave started 16 minutes before mine. We rode together for about 4-5 miles and I felt like I was pushing a slightly faster pace than him. Chalk hill comes at mile 44 and I decided I'd try to put a gap on him up that hill. I pushed up Chalk (it was even shorter than I remember it) with no problem. Then it's 10 mostly flat miles into the high school for T2.  I knew I was on pace to hit 3 hours, if not better. After the dismount line as I was running my bike into transition, I saw my girlfriend who handed me three advil (bless her heart).

T2: 3:50 - I royally screwed up here. The entrance was slightly different than it was the day before when we dropped off our run gear and it just had me all confused. I ended up running up and down the racks an extra time that I didn't need to. On my way out, I hit the port-a-potty. Without the bathroom break and extra running with the bike, I probably would have been closer to 2 minutes.

Run: 2:06:47 - I had some side stitches during mile 1, but by mile 2 I felt better and was ready to settle in for a long run. I knew I had to really blow it to not make 6 hours so that was a great feeling. At mile 4, Brian catches me and keeps on going. I started doing some serious math in my head trying to figure out how fast I needed to run to not lose more than 16 minutes from that point forward. At the turn around, I knew I was about 2 minutes behind him. It started getting REALLY hot, and my legs just didn't want to turn over. The rolling hills were brutal and I did a lot of run/walking up them. At the 10 mile mark, I told myself it was just an easy 5k to go, but my legs still didn't want to work. I started convincing myself that Brian was such a better runner than me, that I'd lost the race to him. FINALLY, I made it to the finish line, couldn't walk straight, was light-headed, thought I was going to fall over. Brian and my gf congratulate me. Then Brian tells me I won it by about 9 minutes! Apparently, he had just as much trouble with the heat as I did and started slowing down as well. VICTORY! After getting lots of food and water down, I started feeling better and was able to enjoy the finish line a bit.

It was an awesome weekend, and so much fun to spend it with a big group of friends who are also competing. This is what makes the sport so much fun. The people are amazing and so supportive. It is sad in a way because that is my last tri of the season, and I have no idea of what I want to do next season. I'm pretty sure a full ironman is out of the question though. =)

Big thanks to you guys for all your encouragement and advice along the way. You guys rock!

Great write up.  Sounds like you had a wonderful day -- beating your buddies is always fun!

Congrats.

2010-07-19 7:40 PM
in reply to: #2990616

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Meulen - 2010-07-19 3:00 PM

After my race this weekend, will try and get a hold of you to head out on a ride.  Again, congrats -- and not buying that you're looking to quit just yet.
2010-07-19 7:47 PM
in reply to: #2990616

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Meulen - 2010-07-19 1:00 PM

Agreed.  So I'm throwing around ideas all day and thought of something.  How far apart did each wave start?  Maybe they placed you in the wrong AG start and you missed your wave, adding the additional 7 minutes?
2010-07-19 7:52 PM
in reply to: #2991043

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
dhopman - 2010-07-19 3:57 PM Brian - congrats on your oly! Your bike split is super impressive!

The longish summary...

Again, congrats on a great race!  Awesome time.  Not sure what to do next?  Theres the Vegas HIM in September and Silverman in November.  Plenty left to do this season!
2010-07-19 9:14 PM
in reply to: #2990428

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
kickitinok - 2010-07-19 12:06 PM
brick94513 - 2010-07-17 9:41 AM

I don't know what happened, but my body failed me yesterday!  I have never experienced cramps like I did yesterday.

At the end of the day, I had consumed about 200 ounces of water, 2 sodas, large lemonade, plus various foods and only had a scant amount of urine output.  Absolutely crazy!  I've never experienced dehydration to this magnitude (cramping, nausea, dizziness, and lightheadedness).   Even while sleeping last night, I woke to muscle spasms in my hamstrings.

Just an absolutely horrible day.  Even more frustrating, I don't know where my plan went wrong.  I hope dave has a better day than I had.  The weather is predicted to be similar.

Totally shooting in the dark here, Tim, and I'm sure you know more about this than I do, but could this have been a case where your body's fluid absorption rate was slower than your sweat rate?

I get dehydrated regularly as I'm a heavy sweater. I've tried to combat it with consuming slightly more than I need to replenish, only to be disappointed and dehydrated yet again. It seems to happen way more often when the humidity is high outside - I'm convinced I absorb fluids very slowly. I need to do more research to find out how I can combat this....

Anyone have any ideas? 

Very feasible.  I'm actually looking into a product that was recommended to me.  Besides an electrolyte supplement, it works as a buffer to accelerate the absorption of water.
2010-07-19 10:20 PM
in reply to: #2991233

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
shmeeg - 2010-07-19 5:52 PM
dhopman - 2010-07-19 3:57 PM Brian - congrats on your oly! Your bike split is super impressive!

The longish summary...

Again, congrats on a great race!  Awesome time.  Not sure what to do next?  Theres the Vegas HIM in September and Silverman in November.  Plenty left to do this season!

Thanks buddy.

I do have a couple running events brewing in the next few months. My first full marathon is on Halloween, and I have a half-mary early that same month. Sooo, I have something to train for, but it's not a tri. I'm done with tri's for the season, but I'll start thinking about what my A race will be for next season. =)

2010-07-20 7:23 AM
in reply to: #2991225

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shmeeg - 2010-07-19 7:47 PM

Meulen - 2010-07-19 1:00 PM

Agreed.  So I'm throwing around ideas all day and thought of something.  How far apart did each wave start?  Maybe they placed you in the wrong AG start and you missed your wave, adding the additional 7 minutes?

They were 6 minutes apart, but if they did that I'm sure the pace would be off too.
2010-07-20 7:58 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Tim suggested Endurolyte in my blog for the cramps. I admitt I need help here with race nutrition. Where would I take the endurolyte? Currently, I do nothing but gatorade/gels/cliff bars. This is what I do:

Nutrition:
1. Proper breakfast of organic oatmeal, crushed pecans, agave nectar and a bananna 2+ hours before racetime.
2. Top off solid food 45 minutes before race time with either cliff bar, whole wheat bagel w/ peanut butter or whole wheat english muffin with peanut butter
3. If I miss #2 I do a get 10-15 prior start time. Being late for my wave I did this at Evergreen.
4. 1 gel per hour racing so in the Oly I took a gel at start of bike and end of bike

Hydration:
I stay fully hydrated every day on a consistent basis, and start the races fully hydrated. During the race I stick to 24oz per hour racing. Water for first hour and Gatorade after that.
- For the Oly I switched to all gatorade being it was so hot and humid and actually drank 40oz during hour 2 of racing. during hour 3 I was already cramping and basically taking any and all gatorade/water I could get my hands on from the aid station.

I would REALLY appreciate any suggestions to this plan or additional products to try.

thanks

Also, my new wheels for my road bike came Friday before I left for Evergreen. I mounted them last night and gave the bike a new chain and rear cassette while I was at it. I went with a Campagnolo Zonda wheelset. I found them for a killer deal on Chainreaction.com. These wheels are SMOOOOOOTH! They have a unique spoke pattern on the back rim which just looks incredible!! I'll have to take some pics soon when I get a chance.
2010-07-20 9:22 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
One other thought on the cramps.....

At the Xterra my Hamstrings cramped, and at Evergreen it was my quads. Both cramped on the run. Most or all of my brick work is coming off my road bike. Is it possible my body is not used to running after coming off the aero position on the tri bike and/or the upright position of the MTB? Is this why I have less of a problem training than in the races?
2010-07-20 10:50 AM
in reply to: #2992012

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Meulen - 2010-07-20 7:22 AM One other thought on the cramps..... At the Xterra my Hamstrings cramped, and at Evergreen it was my quads. Both cramped on the run. Most or all of my brick work is coming off my road bike. Is it possible my body is not used to running after coming off the aero position on the tri bike and/or the upright position of the MTB? Is this why I have less of a problem training than in the races?

Yes, the two are different.  However, I find it much more difficult to come off my MTB than my TT bike to the run.  No matter how good I'm feeling, I usually have to work through some gluteal tightness during my off-road races.  But, the severity is more of an annoyance than debilitating like I experienced this weekend.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  

of 108