Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2012-06-25 6:06 PM
in reply to: #4276943

User image

Regular
UNITED STATES
Subject: RE: Ken Nail's Group -- Closed
Being a role model for your son is a benefit of the lifestyle that can't be measured. Sounds like your having a great time at this. I am learning that unlike other endeavors this is something that takes quite awhile to adjust your body to and that process is different for everybody. Patience is not my middle name but at least i can spell it now. Anyway i am keeping my fingers crossed that my back is healed, i started running this weekend and it felt good. Not positive about a race schedule i want to train this next month and see how i hold up then commit to a race. i was thinking Sept.

2012-06-26 4:36 PM
in reply to: #4275696

User image

Regular
UNITED STATES
I ended up getting the Gravity Liberty 2, it is en route. I am really excited to see where i stand fitness wise now that the playing field is a bit more level.  
2012-06-28 11:51 AM
in reply to: #4281725

User image

Iowa

wrhall2 - 2012-06-26 4:36 PM I ended up getting the Gravity Liberty 2, it is en route. I am really excited to see where i stand fitness wise now that the playing field is a bit more level.  

That is a great bike, I looked at it but I can only drool!  It will make a difference.

2012-07-01 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4125768

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL

Had another good race this weekend.  It is the second of a 3 race series.  Things went well and I was faster so I'll call it a win.  I got on the podium this time.  I switched to the Public Safety division (Police, Firefighters, Military) and got 4th.  It's a smaller group than my AG, but it's fun to race against cops =).  The whole field was slower on the swim this time compared to last, me included, but both my bike and run were faster.  Good stuff.  The report should be up.

Anyone else race this weekend?

2012-07-01 7:13 PM
in reply to: #4289090

User image

Regular
UNITED STATES

Jim, great to hear your getting to race and do well, if you get time tell us why you were able to do a better job this time for bike and run, what did you do differently or are you just rounding into shape? Keep it going!

2012-07-02 2:09 PM

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL

I think for me it's a combination of increased fitness and comfort on the race course.  I'm fairly certain that the swim was longer than last time and there was some chop and a current.  All of that affected the entire field, times were all slower top to bottom.  Irregardless of that, I felt much better coming out of the water which set me up for a good ride.  I didn't spend the first mile getting my wind back, but I used it to get myself on a good pace.  I was wearing down toward the end of the ride, but that's because I'm still building my bike legs and I'm spending a LOT more time working on the swim.  It's a work in progress.  This was my first race using speed laces.  I can't recommend them enough.  Basically for around 5-6 dollars you can buy almost 30 seconds off of your T2 time.  The run is my strength and I think the overall training is helping my time there.  My swim time was over a minute longer but my overall time was almost 2 minutes faster.

Also, I was much more comfortable on the course.  This was my 3rd Tri and the second one on the same course.  I think that helps, especially as a beginner.  There were no surprises so my comfort level was very high.  If you can find a series at the same location to race I think it helps.  It's cheaper overall (always a plus), your comfort level raises quickly, and it's very easy to measure improvement. 

I signed up for an OLY in September so I'm training for that.  The increased distance and time probably has a great effect too.

2012-07-09 7:36 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Sorry I haven't been around -- combination of heavy work schedule, some family stuff, and IM training. I'll be checking the recent emeails and will be back on line from here on out. Hope all are doing well, and dealing with the heat if you've been affected by it!

Ken
2012-07-10 3:07 PM

User image

New user

Just got back from a week at Summer Camp with my Boy Scouts.  Didn't get a chance to do a single work out.  I think it actually helped (a little bit of recovery time).  Came back on Saturday and Sunday found me in the pool.  Funny story, there.  I had a 1 mile swim time trial planned ... jumped in the pool, made 1100 meters, and then the lifeguard blew the whistle for his break.  Showed up the next day to re-do the time trial.  Did my warm-up, and hit the lap button on my watch to start the time (or so I thought).  Finished the swim, looked at my watch, and I hit the stop button instead of the lap button.  At that point, I just took the hint and gave up on the time trial thought.

All this said, I've felt pretty good getting back into the swing.  In addition to the swim on Sunday, did a 1 1/2 hr run, did a 40 minute circuit workout, and a 40-mile ride this evening (longest of the season) and did well (19 mph).

So, what they say about recovery, really does work.  I should build it in a bit more often.  Well, now time to update my workout log and get some rest.  How is everyone else coming along with their training and racing??

2012-07-10 6:03 PM

User image

Regular
UNITED STATES
Hi everyone, Finally got my bike on the road, after taking it to the bike shop to get the gears adjusted and tires trued. My son bought me a computer for it and gloves for fathers day. Anyway it is everything i thought it would be wow what a difference shifting is so easy and hills are easier to deal with (still hate em) i did about 16mi and want to get on some open roads soon. I had another bout of the gout, left foot this time and it knocked me off my feet for 4 days. I feel real good now and have no lower back pain. If i could just get through a month of training without these setbacks maybe i could get in that training groove and improve. Its good reading what everyone is up to you guys inspire me and motivate me. The heat is pretty intense our hottest day was an even 100 degrees and its been in the 90s for much of the time. I stay hydrated and hope everyone else is doing the same. 
2012-07-12 6:16 AM

User image

Regular
UNITED STATES
wanted to share a video of a swim stroke over at swim smooth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDsBTpygrks&feature=youtu.be Harry Wiltshire stroke is similar to mine except hes way faster, but i breath to one side also i am going to try to imitate his movements best that i can and see what happens 
2012-07-14 2:58 PM

Just finished my first race a few hours ago, the Lake Geode Triathlon (if anyone is in the midwest I highly recommend it, very well put together event).

Overall I feel like I trained hard enough to enjoy the race, but not hard enough to be competitive.  It was a hot day--the water was 85 degrees at 6 am and got up to 90.  The *water*.  Ridiculous.

Swim - This went surprisingly well.  A few minutes into the race I realized I had no idea how to sight my course and, to make things worse, I couldn't see the buoys because I'm so near sighted, but I was able to find other swimmers who evidently were on a pretty good line.  I shaved 3 minutes off my fastest 1650 time in the pool.

Bike - I knew was going to be my weakest leg.  I just didn't put enough time in the saddle.  That said, I got a lot of benefit from my training loop.  The hills at home were much steeper than what I came across during the race, though the racing hills were significantly longer.  Total climb was larger on my training course as well.  I'm pleased with how I did on the hills, never really doubted that I'd make it up or felt like my legs were going to give out (a big improvement over where I started--I'd have to get off the bike and walk it up some hills).  I managed to shave 20 minutes off my best race length ride.

Run - By the time the run came around I was pretty well spent.  I ran the first mile, up hill most of the way.  After that I just ran the flat and downhill portions.  The breathing muscles in my back were tired by this point so I was fighting that.  I didn't choose to train with hills much in my running, and that was a mistake since this trail was basically all hills.  I cut somewhere between 5-10 minutes off my best 10k time.

I'm pleasantly surprised by how I did today.  I thought I'd go slower with all the events back to back than I did doing each individually.  The outside of my left foot is pretty sore, but otherwise I feel good and had a lot of fun during the race.  Looking forward to some recovery time and planning my training for next season.

2012-07-15 12:14 AM
in reply to: #4311530

User image

Iowa
Cloverleaf - 2012-07-14 2:58 PM

Just finished my first race a few hours ago, the Lake Geode Triathlon (if anyone is in the midwest I highly recommend it, very well put together event).

Overall I feel like I trained hard enough to enjoy the race, but not hard enough to be competitive.  It was a hot day--the water was 85 degrees at 6 am and got up to 90.  The *water*.  Ridiculous.

Swim - This went surprisingly well.  A few minutes into the race I realized I had no idea how to sight my course and, to make things worse, I couldn't see the buoys because I'm so near sighted, but I was able to find other swimmers who evidently were on a pretty good line.  I shaved 3 minutes off my fastest 1650 time in the pool.

Bike - I knew was going to be my weakest leg.  I just didn't put enough time in the saddle.  That said, I got a lot of benefit from my training loop.  The hills at home were much steeper than what I came across during the race, though the racing hills were significantly longer.  Total climb was larger on my training course as well.  I'm pleased with how I did on the hills, never really doubted that I'd make it up or felt like my legs were going to give out (a big improvement over where I started--I'd have to get off the bike and walk it up some hills).  I managed to shave 20 minutes off my best race length ride.

Run - By the time the run came around I was pretty well spent.  I ran the first mile, up hill most of the way.  After that I just ran the flat and downhill portions.  The breathing muscles in my back were tired by this point so I was fighting that.  I didn't choose to train with hills much in my running, and that was a mistake since this trail was basically all hills.  I cut somewhere between 5-10 minutes off my best 10k time.

I'm pleasantly surprised by how I did today.  I thought I'd go slower with all the events back to back than I did doing each individually.  The outside of my left foot is pretty sore, but otherwise I feel good and had a lot of fun during the race.  Looking forward to some recovery time and planning my training for next season.

It sounds like you did great! Geode is a pretty location for a tri. I live a few miles away from Geode but I had to work so I missed the race (watching it). The water was up to 90, for those that don't know this is not a small lake. With how hot it was today that makes your times even more impressive. After your recovery keep up your training, again great job!

2012-07-19 10:16 AM

User image

Regular
UNITED STATES
Its been tough to train in such extreme weather, but I feel like progress is being made on the bike getting used to the gears and getting a feel for the road it doesn't feel like i belong yet but the comfort level is higher. The swim is coming along in that i don't feel exhausted afterwords so i keep trying to increase my speed and distance. The running is ok but my mileage is low and i have get that up some, i am looking closely at the Quakerman oly. race for sept. 8th but am not settled on it yet. 
2012-07-19 12:30 PM
in reply to: #4311530

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Cloverleaf - 2012-07-14 3:58 PM

Great news, and congratulations!

Ken
2012-07-19 12:32 PM
in reply to: #4319827

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
wrhall2 - 2012-07-19 11:16 AM

Its been tough to train in such extreme weather, but I feel like progress is being made on the bike getting used to the gears and getting a feel for the road it doesn't feel like i belong yet but the comfort level is higher. The swim is coming along in that i don't feel exhausted afterwords so i keep trying to increase my speed and distance. The running is ok but my mileage is low and i have get that up some, i am looking closely at the Quakerman oly. race for sept. 8th but am not settled on it yet. 

Err on the side of caution in this weather. I had to go short on an off-the-bike run the other day. Temperature was up over 100 -- not so bad on the bike, but brutal on the run!

Plenty of training time for an Olympic, and it will cool down (knock on wood...)

Ken
2012-07-19 12:34 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Speaking of racing, had a fun time at a local olympic-distance last weekend. You all can read the details at the link below if interested.

http://spikenail.blogspot.com

Ken

2012-07-23 8:11 PM
in reply to: #4320206

User image

Regular
UNITED STATES
I checked out the race report, you seem to be in that groove so keep it going.
2012-07-23 9:13 PM

User image

Iowa
I've been gone from training for a while due to health problems. I'm starting back using the heart monitor as a guide. I will be training for the rest of the year for a tri next year. I'm limiting my HR to 128-130, so I have found that this is a quick walk and very slow walk up the hills. Using this type of HR training is suposed to keep your HR at a low stress level while increasing the aerobic levels. We'll see. If anyone has used this type of training and can offer any help, that would be great. Thanks.
2012-07-24 4:00 PM
in reply to: #4326873

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
wrhall2 - 2012-07-23 9:11 PM

I checked out the race report, you seem to be in that groove so keep it going.

Thanks -- the IM training is pretty all-consuming, but it's been rewarding. Just my 2 cents, but wait until you've competed a few years before stepping up to the IM distance. It's been more gratifying for me that way.
2012-07-24 4:02 PM
in reply to: #4326961

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
jimyak - 2012-07-23 10:13 PM

I've been gone from training for a while due to health problems. I'm starting back using the heart monitor as a guide. I will be training for the rest of the year for a tri next year. I'm limiting my HR to 128-130, so I have found that this is a quick walk and very slow walk up the hills. Using this type of HR training is suposed to keep your HR at a low stress level while increasing the aerobic levels. We'll see. If anyone has used this type of training and can offer any help, that would be great. Thanks.

I have done a LOT of aerobic training this year, and highly recommend it. In fact, I knocked 20 seconds off my 4 mile PR with no speed work. If you want a big peak, you need a big base!

Ken
2012-07-25 2:21 PM

User image

New user

This year hasn't quite been what I wanted.  Different things coming up in July have precluded me from good training.  However, the thing I keep reminding myself of is .... we're in this for the fun of it.  Training is a bear, but the races make us (at least me) feel on top of the world.  Even if I don't finish first, I realize I finished before all those who didn't even start.

This being said, the time I've been "out of the loop" have left me "loopy".  Training still helps me feel better. I did have my sights set on the Ireland Half IM, but will have to change that due to other requirements/ family issues.  What I have learned is:  keep your focus, know what you want, and keep moving forward.  I may still do a half IM this year, but even if I don't, I'm having fun.

I had to take some time off, and with the break, I feel almost better about my events.  Though I haven't "gone the distance," I feel as if I can.  Coming from a guy who used to push it 7/7 and only take about 2 breaks a month, believe me, rest can help overcome.  

From my understanding, we do this for the feel we get when "racing."  As said previously, we only race against ourselves.  Keep going out there and setting a goal.  Eventually, when we reach that peak, we will surpass.  I did a ride last night with a group, supposed to be a "relaxed" ride.  Going along the open road, we stayed at 24 mph, and averaged over 20mph by the end (my tire blew at 30 mi).  Mind over matter, just know what you want and work for it!!

Good luck on the rest of the season (realizing it can be much hotter in the US than here).  I look forward to racing with (NOT against) you when I return to the US. ... Rich

2012-07-27 12:55 PM

User image

Regular
UNITED STATES
Starting to fall into a decent training groove, which almost feels alien to me and am keeping one eye out for the bogeyman, you know whistling past the graveyard at night kind of feeling. I have been trying to get some good meals after my workouts to get some good recovery. The other thing i try to do is get in some workouts in the morning that helps a lot with not being so drained allows me to get back out there the next day. I do have one small issue with my left knee but ice and ibuprofen are getting the ache manageable. I have my eye on the Quakerman Olympic distance on Sept 8th it is  a .6/39/6.2. at Lake Nockamixon if the body holds up i will go for it. The key for me will be riding for 39mi and being able to run 6, once i get through it in practice. My wife thinks I am pushing to hard  although she is supportive. I have always enjoyed the practice side of sports, its relaxing to me have a focus other than the humdrum of everyday life. I like seeing improvement in my performance it is gratifying. The difference is that now it takes longer to get that improvment and patience has been something i am learning and that is a good thing.
2012-08-01 3:14 PM
in reply to: #4334136

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
wrhall2 - 2012-07-27 1:55 PM

I have my eye on the Quakerman Olympic distance on Sept 8th it is  a .6/39/6.2. at Lake Nockamixon if the body holds up i will go for it. The key for me will be riding for 39mi and being able to run 6, once i get through it in practice.

Nice to hear you're getting into a groove! That's a long ride for an Olympic distance race. Treat it more like a 1/2-IM -- keep the bike well under control and save something for the run. Good luck -- hope you can make it happen!

Ken
2012-08-02 6:21 PM
in reply to: #4341920

User image

Regular
UNITED STATES
Thanks, I no sooner get things going and i get injured again. I have a facet joint sprain or tear and it looks like 6 weeks of rest and rehab are the standard for recovery. Somehow this just isn't right. I don't know what to think, i guess my body is trying to tell me something. Maybe i just need to get completely healed and go from there.
2012-08-06 2:53 PM
in reply to: #4344424

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
wrhall2 - 2012-08-02 7:21 PM

Thanks, I no sooner get things going and i get injured again. I have a facet joint sprain or tear and it looks like 6 weeks of rest and rehab are the standard for recovery. Somehow this just isn't right. I don't know what to think, i guess my body is trying to tell me something. Maybe i just need to get completely healed and go from there.

Most injuries result from trying to do too much, too soon, and too fast. Take your time getting healthy and increase your training in moderate doses as you proceed. Good luck, and keep us up to date!

Ken
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ken Nail's Group -- Closed Rss Feed  

of 9