BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KVesey's Group - WORKING HARD Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-06-30 7:06 AM
in reply to: #2077050

User image

Veteran
Barrington
Subject: RE: KVesey's Group - WORKING HARD
Karen,

Tell me what I need to know about training for an Olympic (International) mileage compared to a sprint.  Is it just getting in more miles all around?  Is there one leg that will be more challenging than the others that I should focus on?

I have some friends in my Ytri group that are encouraging me to go further.  I just can't get it out of my head that I'm a "sprinter".  Perhaps changing my mindset is the biggest hurdle.

My next race is a sprint on July 18th.  The possible Olympic is on August 16th.

2009-06-30 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2252452

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Mars11 - 2009-06-30 7:06 AM Karen,

Tell me what I need to know about training for an Olympic (International) mileage compared to a sprint.  Is it just getting in more miles all around?  Is there one leg that will be more challenging than the others that I should focus on?

I have some friends in my Ytri group that are encouraging me to go further.  I just can't get it out of my head that I'm a "sprinter".  Perhaps changing my mindset is the biggest hurdle.

My next race is a sprint on July 18th.  The possible Olympic is on August 16th.

Marsha,

Yep. More volume as you move from sprint to Olympic distance racing. You figure that you are doubling your distances all around, so it will probably take a bit more than twice as long to complete.

Also, I am fond of doing workouts that are a bit more mentally challenging to sort of help you get over that, "it's going to be a long day," feeling.

For example, instead of doing a single cycle brick workout that is, say, a 20-mile ride followed by a 4 or 5-mile run, do a 10-mile ride, then a 30-minute run, then another 10-mile ride, and a final 30-minute run. Something like that takes concentration and planning and makes pretty much anything else seem easy.

Or, do a 75-minute run. Run in easy zone 2 (HR or RPE) for the first 45 minutes. Then, for the next 15 minutes, pick it up to zone 3, and for the final 15 minutes, up to zone 4. This kind of workout teaches you to hold steady for the first part and then push at the end when you are starting to get tired.

I think increasing the distances a bit will be easy for you. And, honestly, your swim and run distances appear to already be there.

However, you are going to need to ride quite a bit more. My suggestion is to target at least 2 workouts of each discipline a week. If you feel biking is your limiter, then add another bike ride in there. If it was me, I would do one long, easy bike ride (30+ miles) and one or two medium distance rides (~20 miles) that include surges, high cadence, tempo, or other kinds of speed work and the occasional brick.

I'm with your Ytri friends...I say, go for it!

If you see yourself as a sprinter, for you, the key to doing an Olympic distance race is going to be controlling your effort so you don't go out too hard at the start.

2009-07-02 3:16 PM

User image

Lake Stevens, WA
I finally got all (mostly) the race time information for my race report, and it is now published--2009 Lake Padden triathlon, recreational division. Yay! http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=167503
2009-07-07 2:58 PM

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Hello?

Kinda' dark and quiet in here...

Sorry about not posting for several days. Someone turned the world on high speed and time just flew by these last several days.

Hope everyone had a stellar weekend, and that all of you Yanks had a great 4th of July celebration.

I started the day with a 5k in Jackson. It was hot. I was bummed that it was only one second faster than my last 5k...and that's not the official time, which appeared to be a little off, so I am sticking with my watch time.

We got back to the house in time to see the last part of the Tour prologue and the ladies championship match at Wimbledon. After playing on the jet ski, a nap, and dinner, we went to see the fireworks display. It was a good holiday.

Sunday was a complete bust as I spent the entire day watching sports: Wimbledon (what a match!), the Hy-Vee triathlon, beach volleyball, golf, and, of course, stage 2 of the Tour de France. I did ride for 2 hours, though...inside while watching the triathlon.

This week, I can barely concentrate at work as the Chattanooga Waterfront triathlon is on Sunday, and I want so badly to do well (and qualify for AG Nationals in Tuscaloosa). It's all I'm thinking about. I just have to remember, I can only control my own performance and do my best.

So, how's everyone else doing?

Edited by kvesey 2009-07-07 2:59 PM
2009-07-07 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2268195

User image

Veteran
Barrington
kvesey - 2009-07-07 2:58 PM

Hello?

Sorry about not posting for several days. Someone turned the world on high speed and time just flew by these last several days.

Hope everyone had a stellar weekend, and that all of you Yanks had a great 4th of July celebration.

I started the day with a 5k in Jackson. It was hot. I was bummed that it was only one second faster than my last 5k...and that's not the official time, which appeared to be a little off, so I am sticking with my watch time.

We got back to the house in time to see the last part of the Tour prologue and the ladies championship match at Wimbledon. After playing on the jet ski, a nap, and dinner, we went to see the fireworks display. It was a good holiday.

Sunday was a complete bust as I spent the entire day watching sports: Wimbledon (what a match!), the Hy-Vee triathlon, beach volleyball, golf, and, of course, stage 2 of the Tour de France. I did ride for 2 hours, though...inside while watching the triathlon.

This week, I can barely concentrate at work as the Chattanooga Waterfront triathlon is on Sunday, and I want so badly to do well (and qualify for AG Nationals in Tuscaloosa). It's all I'm thinking about. I just have to remember, I can only control my own performance and do my best.

Karen,

Wow what a weekend!!  Caught some of Wimbledon too.  That was an incredible finish for the men's singles and YEAH to Serena.  There was a Lance Armstrong montage going on at some point, but too many little kids running around to really see the whole thing.  He is beyond incredible.

Good luck at the Chattanooga Waterfront triathlon this weekend.  Give it all you've got!!!  If all your training isn't enough on it's own, then maybe you will get some good Karma to edge out the competition from all of us.  That's the least you should get back from helping each of us to go the extra mile.   )   Every time you hear a cow-bell, imagine your mentor group yelling your name. 
GO KAREN!!!  Lookin' good!!  Keep it up!!!

BTW what do you need to get to qualify for AG Nationals?  What distance is it?

We were at the Lake of the Ozarks this past weekend.  Ate too much and didn't train enough.  Now I've got to get my butt back in the gym and on the road.  Less than 2 weeks to my next race and the swim is in Lake Michigan!!  My husband and I ran the hills a couple of days and I got in an open water brick with a spin class then morning before we left, but I really need to find a riding partner to get some real road time.  I plan on pushing hard this week so I can lighten up before next weekend.  Still not to my A race.  Have yet to decide Olympic or Sprint for that one.

2009-07-07 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2268365

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Mars11 - 2009-07-07 3:44 PM
kvesey - 2009-07-07 2:58 PM

Hello?

)   Every time you hear a cow-bell, imagine your mentor group yelling your name. 
GO KAREN!!!  Lookin' good!!  Keep it up!!!

BTW what do you need to get to qualify for AG Nationals?  What distance is it?

Thanks! I will think of y'all when I hear a cow bell...whether for real or in my head.

The Chattanooga Waterfront triathlon is a special qualifier for AG Nationals, which means they will take the top 5 or top 33% of each age group, whichever is more. Last I checked, there were around 21 people in my age group, so the top 8 would be eligible for Nationals next month. And it's Olympic distance. I like Olympic distance because it's long enough to start playing to my strength, which is endurance, rather than a lot of speed.

Based on history and others' estimated time, I probably will have to be faster than 3 hours, and that may be a bit of a stretch on a somewhat hilly course. So, we'll see.

2009-07-13 3:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Hi all, just wanted to stay in touch, sorry about being so quiet.  I have had some personal family issues to deal with since learning my father has B Cell Lymphoma.  I am jumping back in the saddle and hoping to get the HIM program kicked off this week.

Additionally I took a few days to get my League of American Bicyclist, League Cycling Instructor Certification.  Spent about 15 hours in the saddle over the weekend, nothing fast paced, just drills and group rides.

Oh, and I turned 40-44 yesterday....lol

Hope all is well with everyone.
2009-07-13 4:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Barrington
Well, Karen, how'd ya do?!??!!?

Dying to hear about it!!!!!

Todd, Sorry to hear about your dad.  Sending prayers your way.  
Congrats on the certification and
HAPPY BIRTHDAY too!!!

Edited by Mars11 2009-07-13 6:51 PM
2009-07-13 9:45 PM
in reply to: #2282167

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Mars11 - 2009-07-13 4:06 PM Well, Karen, how'd ya do?!??!!?

Dying to hear about it!!!!!

Todd, Sorry to hear about your dad.  Sending prayers your way.  
Congrats on the certification and
HAPPY BIRTHDAY too!!!

Thank you!
2009-07-14 2:53 PM
in reply to: #2282963

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

First, happy birthday, Todd! New age group and all. Woo hoo!

And, sending good vibes to your dad. I hope he gets better.

Finally, my race on Sunday was not exactly to plan. The bike course was much harder than I anticipated, so I was slower than I needed to be, and I think it impacted my run, which was also slower than I needed to be. However, the swim rocked and was one of my fastest. If I can turn in a similar swim at the August HIM in September, I should smash my personal best at that distance (fingers crossed).

Oh well. It is a learning experience. While I can get up short, steep hills fairly efficiently, long hills are not my friends. There is obviously work to be done there. On the other hand, going downhill at nearly 40 mph was very exciting.

Maybe next year, I can manage to qualify for AG Nationals.

2009-07-14 4:57 PM
in reply to: #2284922

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
kvesey - 2009-07-14 2:53 PM

First, happy birthday, Todd! New age group and all. Woo hoo!

And, sending good vibes to your dad. I hope he gets better.

Finally, my race on Sunday was not exactly to plan. The bike course was much harder than I anticipated, so I was slower than I needed to be, and I think it impacted my run, which was also slower than I needed to be. However, the swim rocked and was one of my fastest. If I can turn in a similar swim at the August HIM in September, I should smash my personal best at that distance (fingers crossed).

Oh well. It is a learning experience. While I can get up short, steep hills fairly efficiently, long hills are not my friends. There is obviously work to be done there. On the other hand, going downhill at nearly 40 mph was very exciting.

Maybe next year, I can manage to qualify for AG Nationals.

Thanks for the good vibes!

Every time I step out the door, whether to race or train, it is a learning experience.  I have afeeling you are more determined than ever and will shatter you PR in Augusta!  Hnag in there!

2009-07-16 2:44 PM

User image

Prattville
Hey all.  Sorry it's been so long since I've checked in.  I've been slammed getting up to speed at the new job and getting the house in order while still trying to stay on top of my training.  Things are going good and I'm looking for my first non-sprint tri soon.  It'll be a B race as I continue to look to my HIM (more on that in a sec) in Sep.  Just haven't spent enough time looking for it to figure out which race it's going to be, but I'll let you know.
  I'm pretty bummed about the HIM I was planning to do (Augusta).  I'd delayed signing up because of the move and waiting for my pay to catch up and get right (for those of you who've never done a military move, you could get anywhere from 10% to 250% of your normal paycheck instead of your anticipated pay.  This can be disconcerting).  Well, now it's SOLD OUT!  I'm looking at switching to the Florida Traithlon Challenge which is also HIM distance on the same weeked and not too much further of a drive.  Srill, I wanted to do an official Ironman TM race.  Oh well, maybe New Orleans next year.
  Also, I'm riding my trainer a fair amount of time, but I've started to notice like a "rubber dust" on the floor aft of my trainer after I'm done with my session.  It must be coming from the tire.  Is there something I'm doing wrong or is this normal trainer ops?  It's a CycleOps Mag Trainer if that helps.

Hope everyone else is doing well.  Let me know how things are going.  I'm off to run on the treadmill for an hour (ugh) since it's too hot outside to run.

Cheers,
Cory
2009-07-16 3:32 PM
in reply to: #2289942

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

cshollon - 2009-07-16 2:44 PM 
  Also, I'm riding my trainer a fair amount of time, but I've started to notice like a "rubber dust" on the floor aft of my trainer after I'm done with my session.  It must be coming from the tire.  Is there something I'm doing wrong or is this normal trainer ops?  It's a CycleOps Mag Trainer if that helps.

Hope everyone else is doing well.  Let me know how things are going.  I'm off to run on the treadmill for an hour (ugh) since it's too hot outside to run.

Cheers,
Cory

Hmmm...I would say the fly wheel is too tight against your tire. I ride my trainer all the time (currently, a Computrainer, but before that, some regular, old mag trainer) and I don't have that problem.

If you don't already, you should get a different rear wheel to use on the trainer (I say...yet always fail to put mine on myself). Saves wear and tear on your road tires, especially if you have the expensive race tires (which you really don't want "rubber dust" coming off of).

Sorry that you missed getting into Augusta. I don't know if that's a bad thing though. They have something like 3,000 folks signed up. It's going to be a bit crowded I think, and I am praying I am not in the last swim wave that will probably leave 2 hours after the official start...

2009-07-21 8:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Barrington
Hi everyone!!

Well I watched a bunch of my friends complete their first HIM in Racine, WI this past weekend.  It was so much fun to watch all the athletes competing.  It pretty much concreted the notion in my mind that I don't think I ever want to attempt anything of that magnitude any time soon.  )
WOW!!!  70.3

Anyway, I completed my second sprint this past weekend and did better than expected, but now I want to do even better for the next.  Does anyone else ever feel like it's not good enough?
My goal was to beat 1:20 and I came in at 1:19:30.  I even got an award for 3rd place.  But before you get too excited....I was 3 out of 6 in my AG.  ha-ha-ha

So my next question is.  Although I did better all in all, the run challenges me most.  I feel like my heartrate is way too high, my breathing is labored and everyone is passing me.  I never get to this point during training.  I feel very relaxed and my breathing is fine on the swim and bike.

How can a change my workouts to help me regulate my heartrate and breathing during a race situation?  I'm thinking about investing in a heartrate monitor along with a Garmin, but don't know if I'm ready to fork over the dough yet.

I've been reading about keeping my HR down to under 153bpm (using an equation with age and current fitness level) at all times and then gradually changing it up with more intense workouts.
Any thoughts?
2009-07-21 12:50 PM
in reply to: #2298214

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Mars11 - 2009-07-21 8:34 AM Hi everyone!!

Well I watched a bunch of my friends complete their first HIM in Racine, WI this past weekend.  It was so much fun to watch all the athletes competing.  It pretty much concreted the notion in my mind that I don't think I ever want to attempt anything of that magnitude any time soon.  )
WOW!!!  70.3

Anyway, I completed my second sprint this past weekend and did better than expected, but now I want to do even better for the next.  Does anyone else ever feel like it's not good enough?
My goal was to beat 1:20 and I came in at 1:19:30.  I even got an award for 3rd place.  But before you get too excited....I was 3 out of 6 in my AG.  ha-ha-ha

So my next question is.  Although I did better all in all, the run challenges me most.  I feel like my heartrate is way too high, my breathing is labored and everyone is passing me.  I never get to this point during training.  I feel very relaxed and my breathing is fine on the swim and bike.

How can a change my workouts to help me regulate my heartrate and breathing during a race situation?  I'm thinking about investing in a heartrate monitor along with a Garmin, but don't know if I'm ready to fork over the dough yet.

I've been reading about keeping my HR down to under 153bpm (using an equation with age and current fitness level) at all times and then gradually changing it up with more intense workouts.
Any thoughts?

Congrats on earning some hardware, Marsha! (And the number of people in your AG is of no consequence.)

Thoughts on the run leg...

I have much the same problem going from the bike to the run: my heart is pounding, my breathing is labored, and I am just not comfortable. Initially, I just had to walk the first hundred yards or so of the run and then ease into it at a slow pace. Unfortunately, not the best strategy for a sprint. But it just took me some time to get going. Now, I find I can run right out of transition, but I have to force myself to ease up a bit for the first quarter to half mile until I start to relax and everything feels under control. Then, I try to step on the gas and start picking up the pace.

Like I said...that's a better technique for longer races. For sprints, there's a certain amount of sucking it up and knowing that I only have to suffer for slightly less than 30 minutes on the run. But I still have to start the run a bit slower than I think I should be going, or I'll just blow up.

As to the heart rate monitor. You can pick up a simple one with few bells and whistles for relatively inexpensive. I train with mine all the time; however, I almost never race with it. I find that I get wrapped around the axle if I do (oh no, my heart rate is too high).

That being said, the standard target heart rate calculations are not generally very accurate. It is best to either get a VO2 max test, or do one of the tests featured on BT (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=633).

Anyway, while I think training by heart rate is very useful (although, extremely frustrating at first), I only trained by RPE (rate of perceived exertion) for the first 25 years I ran. So, useful, but not neccessary. Entirely up to you.

Oh yeah...and don't write off a 70.3 so quickly. You'll get sucked (suckered?) into it one of these days. It may be a few more years...but you will.

2009-07-21 5:28 PM

User image

Hi guys,

Congrats to you all, you all seem to be doing well from what i read. 

Sorry I haven't really posted on here since i joined the group!  Been trying to get my head into my training, however over the last few days i have just totally lost motivation.   Not good when my first ever sprint tri is only 10 days away!  OMG!!! 

Seem to be struggling to cover 3 miles at the moment (then i have other days when i can do 5 - what's going on!), keep stopping at 1.5, the again later on.  NOT GOOD.  And this is without any swim and bike in front of it!  Oh dear!  I don' t know whether i'm just bored of the treadmill, or whether i need a training partner or both! 

Beginning to panic about the tri now, particularly the run leg, don't think my littlelegs will run, especially when i'm not allowed to wear my mp3 player... Wondering whether i ought to just go for bust on the bike leg and not worry about saving anything for the run as i'm gonna struggle to keep going anyway! 

Anyone have any motivational tips to try to get me out of this blah phase?!  Please?

Daniele

2009-07-22 12:40 PM
in reply to: #2299939

Same thing with me! just feeling unmotivated.
I told this to my swimming teacher, and she said that I should try to eat more nuts, peanut butter and almond butter, which I love now! Eat more proteins as well. Maybe you are losing your energy!
Now I have a bit more energy!!
Try training outside! Do it one time with your MP3 and the next without and try to remember the songs while you train. I am trying this, I train with the same music hoping I will have it in my mind at the race.
I am not at expert at all! my Tri is in September!
Patricia

aphrodite_225 - 2009-07-21 6:28 PM

Hi guys,

Sorry I haven't really posted on here since i joined the group!  Been trying to get my head into my training, however over the last few days i have just totally lost motivation.   Not good when my first ever sprint tri is only 10 days away!  OMG!!! 

Seem to be struggling to cover 3 miles at the moment (then i have other days when i can do 5 - what's going on!), keep stopping at 1.5, the again later on.  NOT GOOD.  And this is without any swim and bike in front of it!  Oh dear!  I don' t know whether i'm just bored of the treadmill, or whether i need a training partner or both! 

Beginning to panic about the tri now, particularly the run leg, don't think my littlelegs will run, especially when i'm not allowed to wear my mp3 player... Wondering whether i ought to just go for bust on the bike leg and not worry about saving anything for the run as i'm gonna struggle to keep going anyway! 

Anyone have any motivational tips to try to get me out of this blah phase?!  Please?

Daniele
2009-07-22 2:37 PM
in reply to: #2301845

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

partieda - 2009-07-22 12:40 PM Same thing with me! just feeling unmotivated. I told this to my swimming teacher, and she said that I should try to eat more nuts, peanut butter and almond butter, which I love now! Eat more proteins as well. Maybe you are losing your energy! Now I have a bit more energy!! Try training outside! Do it one time with your MP3 and the next without and try to remember the songs while you train. I am trying this, I train with the same music hoping I will have it in my mind at the race. I am not at expert at all! my Tri is in September! Patricia
aphrodite_225 - 2009-07-21 6:28 PM Hi guys,

Daniele

Daniele,

I like Patricia's advice. It could be diet. Try adding in some lean sources of protein to see if that helps a bit.

Also, remember that this is supposed to be fun. Not work. We're not paid to do this; it's a hobby or an avocation. When you go for a run, think about all the things that are fun about it. It feels good to sweat. You know you're doing something that a lot of people just won't do. Just try and focus on the good things rather than how blah or tired you feel.

If you can, I totally recommend taking your running off the treadmill and outside. Much more interesting. And like Patricia suggested, go without the MP3 player. Listen to all the other sounds around you: the birds, the barking dogs, traffic, the rhythm of your feet on the pavement, even your breathing. It's good to breathe!

Like any good habit, it takes time to develop a routine. Make your workouts a part of your daily schedule. Put them on your calendar for a certain time of day. Feeling unmotivated to go out? Make yourself do it. Don't succumb to the good book or interesting TV show. Put on your workout clothes, step out the door, and go. If your schedule calls for a 30-minute run, but you don't feel up to it, give yourself permission to just run 20 minutes. I bet when you get through the 20 minutes, you'll go ahead and add the other 10 minutes. If not, no big deal. At least, you got out there. You did something. And that's the key. Do something. Eventually it will become part of you.

Find a partner or group to work out with. For years, I met a friend early in the morning a couple of times a week to run. If I didn't know she was out there waiting for me, I am sure I would have blown off a lot of workouts. When I have monster, intimidating workouts (like my ride last Sunday), I try and convince people to join me, at least for part of it. Can't tell you how many times that's gotten me through very long and hot training days. Right now, I'm training with a local marathon training group. It's like 60 people, all different levels, but it's fun and kind of like a party where I get a good run in.

My own nemisis is swimming. I actually really enjoy swimming, but logistically, it's a pain in the butt. If I swim after work, I cannot go home first. I have to go directly to the pool. Frequently, I have to talk myself out of making that turn home and just continue on to the gym. But, when I am done, I am quite proud of myself.

Give yourself a reward. I love milkshakes and coffee drinks. So, if there's a workout coming up I don't want to do, or I am feeling general malaise about working out, I will allow myself a chocolate milkshake or a big latte after, and only after, I get the workout done (or series of workouts...I might reward myself for completing a whole week of scheduled workouts).

It's all a mind game, really. And you're in charge. Once you make the decision, it's easy...most of the time.

I promise.

2009-07-24 3:53 PM

User image

Aw guys, thanks very much for your  support.  Think I am stuck in  rut.  Also fully aware that no matter how much training I do this week,i still won't be fitter for the tri in a weeks time!  In fact,if Ioverdo it I may even end up more fatigued! 

I think I go so stuck into 'I wanna do a sub 2hr for my first tri', then when this looked realistic, I pushed for a sub 1h30....then I got injured and was off training for almost 4 months and all of that totally went out of the window!  Ah well, if I have a crappy finish time this year at least I ought to be able to beat it next year with the correct training! 

Thanks again, I know I can't train tomorrow due to child care issues, and today the same, so i will start again with a new mindset (hopefully) and aim just to complete this tri for the time being. 

Daniele
x
2009-07-24 7:36 PM
in reply to: #2306567

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

aphrodite_225 - 2009-07-24 3:53 PM Aw guys, thanks very much for your  support.  Think I am stuck in  rut.  Also fully aware that no matter how much training I do this week,i still won't be fitter for the tri in a weeks time!  In fact,if Ioverdo it I may even end up more fatigued! 

I think I go so stuck into 'I wanna do a sub 2hr for my first tri', then when this looked realistic, I pushed for a sub 1h30....then I got injured and was off training for almost 4 months and all of that totally went out of the window!  Ah well, if I have a crappy finish time this year at least I ought to be able to beat it next year with the correct training! 

Thanks again, I know I can't train tomorrow due to child care issues, and today the same, so i will start again with a new mindset (hopefully) and aim just to complete this tri for the time being. 

Daniele
x

Such is life. You have to deal with the cards your dealt. But, if you just remember that it's all in fun, then it should be okay.

I ended up working mega hours this week and have not been able to do much training at all. Whatever. I can only control what I can control and make good decisions about what I can or cannot do.

It's the same for all of us.

Your day will come when you will be able to burn up the course and do your sub 1:30...maybe not now, but one day.

2009-07-24 8:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Barrington
Daniele,

I don't really have any advice to give you other than go out there and have fun.  This is my first year training and I'm so obsessed with it, my husband refers to my training as "the other man".  HA!
So I haven't hit that wall yet.  But I know it's coming.  I'm really enjoying feeling strong, running faster, and especially the way my clothes fit.  Smile  That's motivation enough for me.  I started this journey about 6 months ago and have lost close to 15 pounds WITHOUT DIETING!!!  Although I am definately more aware of what I put in my mouth.
So I say to you, good luck, keep doing what you can, have fun and get that first tri under your belt, so you know what you're in for for the next one.

2009-07-24 8:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Barrington
Here's a question for everyone.

As you all know I have 3 kids.  2 of which are old enough to participate in youth triathlons (ages 8 and 10).  They are both on the swim team and swim 90 minutes 4 days a week.  (although Championships are tomorrow and those practices are over).  They enjoy many other sports and playing outside.  Frequently they ride their bikes with me to keep me company as I run.  We've recently started running a couple times a week also (a little over 1 mile at a time).

They are so excited and encouraging during my training and my races, so they wanted to try it out for themselves. 

So my question is:

Do you have any suggestions of how to help them train? 
Their race is Aug. 15th
100m swim, 4k bike, 1k run
2009-07-28 10:46 AM

User image

Thanks everyone for all the support,well raceday is indeed looming now and is only four days away Surprised.  Managed to do a 3.2 mile run without stopping yesterday as there was something good on the tv that took my mind off it!  Think y'all are definitely right, I do definitely need a training partner. 

To the poster above two, yep Il oved the feeling of training, and also the better fit of my clothes and found it very addictive, feeling guilty when I didn't go.  It was an injury that set me back.  I think when you slip back into a sedentary lifestyle it's very hard to slip out of the butt shaped groove impressioned into the sofa!  Good on you with your training you seem to be doing well!  Good luck for your first tri!

Had 2 bits of bad news yesterday: 

1)  Heavy rain for my tri will slow me down significantly and make things far more slippery
2)  My friend has pulled out!  I had bargained for being ahead of her after the swim and level pegging after the bike, and knew that she would overtake me on the run, but i had kinda hoped for that, as i knew when she overtook me it would make me push hard to catch up!  Guess I'm gonna have to pick on some other poor soul to chase now, lol! 

I've just gotta remember that I'm doing this for fun!  I'm sure I will enjoy it despite the weather, there is no way it'll be called off, as there are 14,000 competitors over the 2 days!!  At least with the slow time I will post this year I should be able to blitz it next year! 

I've signed up for a 10k on 27 September, and there's another on Oct.  Had planned to do a half marathon in Oct, but think that's a bit soon for me to be honest as ionly started runnng this year,having never done anything competitive in my life!  With a bit of luck and lots of work I will achieve my olympic tri goal next year and my sprint in under 2 hours (?1h3o??). 

Anyway guys, thanks for the support.  Cool
2009-07-28 10:54 AM

User image

To Mars11:  

Well,I don't have any children myself, but I think it's great they want to compete in tri!  The main thing is to keep the training fun.  What with swim practises being over, maybe they could take up surfing or something similar that you could supervise, then they would be paddling and swimming fairly good distances getting upper body workouts without really realising it.  Also maybe kayaking/canoeing would be a good fun activity that would work their arms and shoulders. 

As for running and biking, could you go out on family bike rides? 

Possibly one of you could stop after a set distance, hold the bikes whilst the other could cycle ahead a set distance, and the kids could run from one parent/guardian to the other and back, then hop back on the bikes and carry on.  Maybe this would be a good way of incorporating brick sessions in and having a bit of fun, with you cheering them on?  Just an idea, as I don't have kiddies.  Kids tend to be fit as fiddles anyway as they are always running round with their pals from school, just seems to come naturally to them, lucky devils!
2009-07-28 11:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Hi all, I have kind of been in the shadows for a little while, dealing with some work and family issues.  I am back in full swing with the training.  I hope everyone is well and kicking butt in their races.... blowing the PRs away.

Karen,  I signed up for team in training tonight.  So, I am scheduled to run my first Marathon.  I am doing the Mardis Gras Marathon on February 28th.  It's kind of fitting since I am running the marathon in honor of my dad who was diagnosed with B cell Lymphoma on July 8th, the reason it is so fitting is because I will be running the marathon in honor of him, on his birthday!  Any advice for a first time marathoner?

Good luck to you all and keep up the hard work!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KVesey's Group - WORKING HARD Rss Feed  

of 11