BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenaxford's Group - Closed and kickin' tale !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-06-09 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2203973

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
Subject: RE: kenaxford's Group - Closed and kickin' tale !!!
fire eagle - 2009-06-08 10:50 PM
Mainer22 - 2009-06-06 12:03 PM so by now we've all been training for a bit....

what is your order of events, "most favorite" down to "least favorite"
or what do you love training for and what do have to talk yourself into training for?

Well, 1) Road Bike 2) Mountain Bike 3) Swim  4) Run... I don't like running, Oh I'm training but don't like it. And I'm probably doing better in that the other two, go figure.

Hey, check this out.  I have struggled a lot with my swim, too dang slow.  So I've been concentrating on that the past two weeks even did some open water swimming at the lake.  I think I have some break thru or something. I'm relaxing more and going faster.  Am I just getting stronger? I don't know but I have quit trying to be faster just quieter.  Anybody else have some pointers on this?

Yes I'm with you on that - I have found that TRYING to swim faster nets out to me basically thrashing inefficiently.  If I focus instead on being strong and smooth and especially focus on a nice long reach and strong pull all the way to my thigh, I tend to swim faster and with less effort, which translates into being less tired at the end and a quicker recovery after.  I also agree with the positives associated with feeling relaxed in the water.  When I am calm and focused, I slide into a good rhythm.  I've mentioned before that I've been working towards a "twobeat kick", which is more efficient than a continuous flutterkick...As that is developing, I'm noticing HUGE gains in terms of distance and speed, based (I'm guessing here) on my using less oxygen and energy throughout the swim - whatever it is, it's definatley noticable.

2009-06-09 12:41 PM
in reply to: #2082508

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
I'm not the fastest swimmer or anything, but I have to agree. When I was training, I would focus on a longer, smoother strokeS and wind up going faster and being less tired. In fact, when I did my tri a couple of weeks ago, I focused on my form and for the first 150-200 meters, everything seemed very smooth (unfortunately, that fell apart as I got tired and started running into slower swimmers in the lanes!).
2009-06-09 7:45 PM

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
Oh, and also I'd say...

1. Bike
2. Run
3. Swim (Usually because it's in the morning!)
2009-06-10 7:55 AM

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
It's getting quiet in here again!

What's everyone got coming up in the near future, tri or otherwise?

My MS 150 ride is this Saturday and Sunday... It would be a major accomplishment for me, but I'm going to attempt the whole 150 miles. Not sure I can do it, but we'll see what happens!

What about you guys? What's next for you?
2009-06-10 10:00 AM
in reply to: #2207004

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

mattierocks - 2009-06-10 6:55 AM It's getting quiet in here again!

What's everyone got coming up in the near future, tri or otherwise?

My MS 150 ride is this Saturday and Sunday... It would be a major accomplishment for me, but I'm going to attempt the whole 150 miles. Not sure I can do it, but we'll see what happens!

What about you guys? What's next for you?

Good luck, that's a huge accomplishment.  Do you feel ready?

My first race of the season will be in a week and a half at the buffalo creek XTERRA.  I'm excited to kick off the season, but not looking forward to a swim in 52 degree water!!!

2009-06-10 12:47 PM

User image

Arlington
Good luck Mattie. Sounds like you've been logging some miles in the saddle so I'm sure you'll do great this weekend.

I just signed up for the Luray (Virginia) International August 15th. I didn't have anything scheduled till Sept. so really needed something to work towards.

Other events:
Doing a charity 8K in my hometown of Silver Creek, NY. Started by my high school track coach, benefitting a local center that provides services and training to people with disabilities. Might be a highlight of the summer -- running with some old track buddies I haven't seen in years.

A friend is trying to get me to do the Culpeper (Virginia) Sprint end of July. We'll see. May do it for the open water experience.

2009-06-10 1:33 PM

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
Thanks to both of you!

I've definitely been doing a bunch of miles on the bike.

My plan is to give 75 a shot the first day and see what my body is telling me the second day! It might be the MS 100 for me this year, but just gotta give it a shot!

Ken, all your mentees are expecting great things from your first race of the season! ow many XTERRAs are you doing this year?

Kurtie, so this next one is your 2nd tri of the season, right?
2009-06-10 2:43 PM

User image

Arlington
Dag, coach, 52 degree water.  My hand is cramping up thinking about it.  Good luck on that!  Looks like it'll be a great tri -- a nice bit of downhill on the single track.

Yeah Mattie, Luray will be my second tri.  Hadn't planned an Oly for mid-season but now I'm pretty excited about it.  This will reinvigorate my training.  I have been slacking off the past couple weeks -- probably b/c my next race wasn't until Sept. and felt sooo far off.
2009-06-10 3:23 PM

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
I understand that completely! That was part of the reason I did the Richmond Power Sprint. I needed some immediate gratification!
2009-06-10 4:18 PM
in reply to: #2208139

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

mattierocks - 2009-06-10 12:33 PM Thanks to both of you!

Ken, all your mentees are expecting great things from your first race of the season! ow many XTERRAs are you doing this year?

Kurtie, so this next one is your 2nd tri of the season, right?

I plan on 5 XTERRA races and 6 if I qualify for USA championship.  Keep your fingers crossed for me.  (my age group, 30-34, and the very competative mtn region makes that a tall order)  My back up plan for the XTERRA USA is 24 hours of triathlon with a GU team.  Either way, it should be a fun way to end the season.  the good news is that I don't have to get into the water again for an XTERRA until mid July.  Another month for the water to warm up.  come on sun!!!!

2009-06-10 7:57 PM

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
That's awesome! Do you find yourself enjoying the off-road stuff more than regular tris? And if so, why?

I don't know if you read these, but this month's Triathlete Magazine is focused on XTERRA. It makes me want to try one!

2009-06-10 8:16 PM
in reply to: #2208922

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

mattierocks - 2009-06-10 6:57 PM That's awesome! Do you find yourself enjoying the off-road stuff more than regular tris? And if so, why?

I don't know if you read these, but this month's Triathlete Magazine is focused on XTERRA. It makes me want to try one!

I just finished reading that issue last night before bed.  I love it!

I like both road and off road, but I think I favor off road a bit more.  They are still extremely competative, but the crowd seems a bit more friendly and laid back outside of the actual race.  Plus, I enjoy running and riding on trails.  It's a very different style of racing, but the juking and jiving make it fun.

you shold defenitley give one a try. 

2009-06-10 9:01 PM

User image

New user
mattie good luck on the ride, that sounds fun.  Any hills I wonder? and there's probably no pacing involved, just fun ride?

Coach, how do you warm up for a race?  52 degrees, do you just hang out in the water swimming  for 20 min.  to get used to it

2009-06-10 11:05 PM
in reply to: #2209096

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

fire eagle - 2009-06-10 8:01 PM mattie good luck on the ride, that sounds fun.  Any hills I wonder? and there's probably no pacing involved, just fun ride?

Coach, how do you warm up for a race?  52 degrees, do you just hang out in the water swimming  for 20 min.  to get used to it

honostly, I don't have a routine for water that cold yet.  I either just do a dry land warm up (arm swings and some balisitic stretching) or I swim in the water for a bit to get the shock over with.  (and pee in my suit for warmth)  gross, I know, but warmer.  I haven't figured out which way is better yet.

2009-06-11 8:11 AM
in reply to: #2209096

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
fire eagle - 2009-06-10 9:01 PM mattie good luck on the ride, that sounds fun.  Any hills I wonder? and there's probably no pacing involved, just fun ride?

Thanks Fire Eagle! Oh yes... There are hills... Many, many hills, but it's just a charity ride, so no pacing is involved. It's also fully supported, so we get rest stops every 15-25 miles or so.
2009-06-11 12:31 PM

User image

Arlington
For the swim, is everyone breathing bi-laterally?  I've always only turned my head to the right to breathe.  Starting left breathing last night and it kicked my butt.  Sucked down a fair amount of water; stuck my head way up.  I alternated lengths -- one length right, one length left.  Amazing the difference in speed.  I didn't get to a point where I could alternate left-right-left on the third stroke.

Any tips other than keep practicing? 

2009-06-11 4:16 PM
in reply to: #2210747

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

Kurtie - 2009-06-11 11:31 AM For the swim, is everyone breathing bi-laterally?  I've always only turned my head to the right to breathe.  Starting left breathing last night and it kicked my butt.  Sucked down a fair amount of water; stuck my head way up.  I alternated lengths -- one length right, one length left.  Amazing the difference in speed.  I didn't get to a point where I could alternate left-right-left on the third stroke.

Any tips other than keep practicing? 

A good breathing pattern might be:  3 left then 3 right, or 2 left then 2 right.  The main benefit of bi-lateral breathing (if you didn't alreaady know) is to ensure you have an even stroke.  the majority of swimmers that only breath to one side have a stroke that is imbalanced.  This means they may pull harder to one side, lag longer on 1 side, raise their head, etc.  This usually leads to ineffeciency.  also in the case of open water, it leads to swimming way off course.

Just keep practicing.  It will feel wierd now, but pay off in the long run...  I promise !!!

2009-06-12 8:05 AM
in reply to: #2211641

User image

Arlington
kenaxford - 2009-06-11 5:16 PM

A good breathing pattern might be: 3 left then 3 right, or 2 left then 2 right. The main benefit of bi-lateral breathing (if you didn't alreaady know) is to ensure you have an even stroke. the majority of swimmers that only breath to one side have a stroke that is imbalanced. This means they may pull harder to one side, lag longer on 1 side, raise their head, etc. This usually leads to ineffeciency. also in the case of open water, it leads to swimming way off course.

Just keep practicing. It will feel wierd now, but pay off in the long run... I promise !!!

Ah, I hadn't thought about the uneven stroke -- makes sense. I realized I needed to learn to breathe on the left when I came tight around a buoy and there was no one on my right. Made it harder to follow a line to the finish -- there were no swim caps on that side. Also, I'm finding I have less flexibility turning my head to the left. The other reason I want to master the bilateral breathing is that I'm not ready to inhale every second stroke but waiting for every fourth is too long of a stretch. I'm thinking every third would be a better fit for me.

I'll keep doing some "lefty" laps till I can breathe easily on both sides.

Kinda funny, I was at the pool trying to remember/do the practice strokes out of the water that I last did when I was like 10 or years old at swim lessons.
2009-06-12 9:22 AM
in reply to: #2212743

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

Kurtie - 2009-06-12 7:05 AM
kenaxford - 2009-06-11 5:16 PM

Kinda funny, I was at the pool trying to remember/do the practice strokes out of the water that I last did when I was like 10 or years old at swim lessons.

What's the saying...    "everything I need to know I learned in Kindergarden"

2009-06-13 2:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
Ken, where do you weigh in on training breakdown?  I've seen some say that because the bike represents about 50% of the overall race, then you should dedicate that percentage in training with 25% each for swim and run training.  I've seen others say focus more on your "weak" area to try to become more balanced... Me I'm finding that I'm waaaay ahead swim wise of where I expected to be and waaay behind run wise, so I'm going to change one of my swims into a run session from this week forward to try to build it up a bit.
2009-06-13 10:04 PM
in reply to: #2215366

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

Mainer22 - 2009-06-13 1:22 PM Ken, where do you weigh in on training breakdown?  I've seen some say that because the bike represents about 50% of the overall race, then you should dedicate that percentage in training with 25% each for swim and run training.  I've seen others say focus more on your "weak" area to try to become more balanced... Me I'm finding that I'm waaaay ahead swim wise of where I expected to be and waaay behind run wise, so I'm going to change one of my swims into a run session from this week forward to try to build it up a bit.

I think that sounds like a good idea.  working on a weakness is always a good idea.  I like to maintain the amount of workouts in the other sports, but just shorten the duration if time is an issue.  this keeps technique good while allowing more time to spend on weak sprots.

2009-06-15 9:54 AM

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
I hope everyone had a great weekend!

I wanted to make a confession... I only rode 100 miles this weekend with Bike MS instead of 150!

I did 75 miles on the Saturday and it wore me out. I was doing ok, then we hit this one hill at mile 70. It completely handed my a$$ to me. In retrospect, it probably would have been hard, but doable at mile 20, 30, 40 or even 50, but by the time mile 70 rolled around, it was a killer. I would say that about 80 percent of the people near me (the average type riders, not the super road cyclists) walked at least some part of that hill!

So, long story short, I only did 25 miles yesterday (and I was fine with that!).

My girlfriend is a different story... She is a monster and did 75 miles both days and was pretty much none the worse for wear! In fact, after my pitiful 25 mile day, I was still more tired that she was!

However, the best part was that our little team of five people rode 425 miles (1 guy actually didn't ride) and raised a little over $2,700 for MS research.

Here's a pic. Rest stop around mile 50-53. I was still pretty good at this point, but too tired to suck my gut in! More pics will be posted at the blog linked in my signature. Thanks!

This was at a rest stop around mile 50. I was still good but too tired to suck in the 'ol gut!

Edited by mattierocks 2009-06-15 10:19 AM
2009-06-15 10:16 AM
in reply to: #2218085

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

mattierocks - 2009-06-15 8:54 AM I hope everyone had a great weekend!

I wanted to make a confession... I only rode 100 miles this weekend with Bike MS instead of 150!

I did 75 miles on the Saturday and it wore me out. I was doing ok, then we hit this one hill at mile 70. It completely handed my a$$ to me. In retrospect, it probably would have been hard, but doable at mile 20, 30, 40 or even 50, but by the time mile 70 rolled around, it was a killer. I would say that about 80 percent of the people near me (the average type riders, not the super road cyclists) walked at least some part of that hill!

So, long story short, I only did 25 miles yesterday (and I was fine with that!).

My girlfriend is a different story... She is a monster and did 75 miles both days and was pretty much none the worse for wear! In fact, after my pitiful 25 mile day, I was still more tired that she was!

However, the best part was that our little team of five people rode 425 miles (1 guy actually didn't ride) and raised a little over $2,700 for MS research.

you should be really proud of your accomplishment !!!   not many people can say they rode 100 miles on a bike over 2 days.  Let alone the fact that you rasied a ton of money for a great cause.  good work !!!

2009-06-15 10:27 AM

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
Thanks Ken! Next up, a 1 day century, hopefully in late fall!

I just want to share with everyone, not for the sake of talking myself up, but hopefully to motivate others... I just started cycling a little over a year ago. At last years MS 150, just doing 25 miles both days wore me out. Also, as you can see, I'm not a small guy, so if I can do it, so can anyone else!
2009-06-15 12:27 PM
in reply to: #2218085

User image

Arlington
mattierocks - 2009-06-15 10:54 AM I hope everyone had a great weekend!

Good job Mattie.  Nice goin!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenaxford's Group - Closed and kickin' tale !!! Rss Feed  

of 11