BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dangremond's Group - FULL/CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2009-02-16 11:36 PM
in reply to: #1965149

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Dangremond's Group - FULL/CLOSED
What degree incline should I put a treadmill on to do "hill repeats" indoors?

2009-02-17 7:40 AM
in reply to: #1965679

New user
Play around with it till you find something your comfortable with.  keep up the good work.
2009-02-17 7:46 AM
in reply to: #1965073

New user

gcoller - 2009-02-16 5:34 PM Thanks, guys. I guess I've just "leveled up" to needing a fuel belt. How exciting! I better order on ASAP since I'm supposed to run 8 miles next Sunday!

In the summer, I carry a frozen drink with me in my hand  with a paper towel wrapped around it.  That way, I keep cool and always have the drink.  As the drink melts, I drink more so no sloshing problem.

2009-02-17 2:19 PM
in reply to: #1965823

User image

Veteran

In the summer, I carry a frozen drink with me in my hand  with a paper towel wrapped around it.  That way, I keep cool and always have the drink.  As the drink melts, I drink more so no sloshing problem.

GREAT idea!

2009-02-18 4:01 PM
in reply to: #1965679

User image

Master

gcoller - 2009-02-16 11:36 PM What degree incline should I put a treadmill on to do "hill repeats" indoors?

Most of my hill workouts state that I should each hill touching the bottom of zone 4.  I usually start out a bit lower, touching mid to high zone 3 and moving into zone 4 afetr I finish a few hills or so.  That means I set the incline at the level that stresses me enough to achieve that level of heart rate.  Also, depending on how long you have been running regularly you may or may not want to be doing hill repeats.  Most of the literature available suggests building a solid year of running base before doing speed or hill workouts.

2009-02-20 3:36 PM
in reply to: #1969325

User image

Veteran
ooooooooh...well then I was wrong on so many levels  Although, I think that some sort of hill work would be good for me since I'm planning on running a 1/2 marathon w/hills and will run a major hill race in August (but will have been running for a year at that point) . I have been running for about a year (10 months?) now but began very slow..and was so proud to run my first 2 miles back then.  The June race I did of 3.5 miles felt like the end of the world.  I started using a gentler program to prep. for this marathon from marathonrookie.com.  This seems more doable and I took (am taking) two rest days in a row to make up for the hill craziness.

2009-02-20 4:13 PM
in reply to: #1973586

User image

Master

gcoller - 2009-02-20 3:36 PM ooooooooh...well then I was wrong on so many levels  Although, I think that some sort of hill work would be good for me since I'm planning on running a 1/2 marathon w/hills and will run a major hill race in August (but will have been running for a year at that point) . I have been running for about a year (10 months?) now but began very slow..and was so proud to run my first 2 miles back then.  The June race I did of 3.5 miles felt like the end of the world.  I started using a gentler program to prep. for this marathon from marathonrookie.com.  This seems more doable and I took (am taking) two rest days in a row to make up for the hill craziness.

I think you are looking at it correctly.  Taking some rest after a hill workout will be good and try to do smaller hills until your ankles, legs, knees get conditioned to the extra strain.  Building up slow always seems to work with regard to running.

2009-02-26 7:12 AM
in reply to: #1856784

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Maybe time for a status update??

I'm currently doing my best to maintain a consistent 6/7 day per week schedule, with at least one two a day thrown in.

I'm definitely reaping the benefits of that consistency.  I'm continuing to increase my run volume (have a 7 mile on Sunday) and my pace has been getting incrementally faster.  I'm now working not to just complete the half-marathon I have scheduled at the end of April, but to blow away my only other half marathon time.  Oh, and I'm 8 lbs lighter than I was two months ago.

What I'm most happy about?  That I've been able increase volume and frequency without (knock on wood) seriously injuring myself.  I had a groin pull after a bad treadmill session, but the cross-training provided by the swim and bike, along with some RICE techniques, seem to have alleviated it . . . for now.

What about you?  Early season races are approaching quickly!

2009-02-26 9:44 AM
in reply to: #1982831

User image

Veteran

I am full-on training for this half-marathon on a gentle training schedule that brings me up to a run volume of 12 miles and then tapers down to raced day (13.1).  After that point I should be able to do the 12-week intensive training for my first Tri in July!

I'm hopeful that I also will maintain non-injury status and am currently only mildly sore from an increase in my usual weekly run volume.

My weight is SLOWLY coming off at about a .5 lb/week rate, but it is coming off.

I am looking into buying an indoor trainer for my lame-o bike and I am looking forward to doing some of these upcoming longer runs OUTside!!

2009-02-26 2:49 PM

User image

Master

Just got back from my vacation.  Got to the gym this morning to run in my brand new shoes!  It was momentous to me because I wore out my pair of shoes I bought last year in approx. 12 months total.  My goal is to wear them out faster this year.

Run was a bit tough after taking a week off, but am confident it will come back quickly.  It needs to as I have a half marathon I want to do on Apr. 5th.  I am counting on the weather to improve so that I can get outside to run as much as possible.  Don't want any more spills, especially since I can still feel the one from a couple weeks ago.

2009-02-26 3:03 PM
in reply to: #1984083

User image

Master
Maryland

I registered for a 1/2 marathon on March 14th so I have an early goal to aim for during this not-so-fun time of year for training.  I never did a race in March before but I am excited to start early.  My first Tri is at the end of April and then the following week will be another 1/2. 

Also, I want to tell Grace that I have the same bike trainer as Jeff, the Cyclops Fluid trainer and it is amazing.  It is as close as you can come to riding outside!

As for this weather, I know I feel better when I can get out every day no matter how cold it is.  Today it reached a very rare 61 here in Maryland and I was so happy to run in shorts.

2009-03-11 5:00 PM
in reply to: #1984083

User image

Veteran

I've had a rough few weeks...finding it difficult to find time to train and the weather has been AWFUL. Not to mention my health was iffy for a few days there. That being said, I think I am less motivated now that I had to cancel my "date" with the April 26th 1/2 marathon.  Two friends I was going to run it with are both preganant! Also, I'm going to an event the night before that would prevent me from making it to NY at all. SO, I decided to do a May 31st Heartbreak Hill Half Marathon. Yes, it includes the Boston marathon hill!  So, that's something to look forward to but I feel like I lost a bit of steam and need to get back on track.  Finally, I am finding it tough to accept my 32:24 5K from Saturday, but I"m thinking it was maybe more than a 5K because my mile split, according to the results, was 10:27.  Thoughts?

-Grace

2009-03-11 9:15 PM

User image

Veteran
greensboro, NC area

Guys, I need some imput.  Firstly, let me say that I am a total amateur here and my very first sprint tri is in June.  Also, I have a crappy bike - I mean really crappy (Walmart!).  So I have set aside some money to get a new (or new to me) road bike.  I have only $550 to spend on a bike, so I know that it won't be a great bike, but I think that I could get a decent one for that price.  Plus since I'm still working up to a first tri and never really biked before, I probably don't need one in the $1000 plus range.  That being said, someone suggested a Fugi newest 3.0 to me.  I need some suggestions on what to get.  I also don't know if it makes any kind of difference, but I am about 35 pounds over weight.

Also, what may be a stupid question....but do I need a tri suit for my first race?  Does everyone wear one?  If not, do women wear swimsuits and then bike shorts over or something like that? 

2009-03-12 7:08 AM
in reply to: #2012366

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Christy,

First, know that you can race on whatever bike you currently own.  If you haven't gotten your bike volume up enough, then a road or tri bike won't make that much of a difference.  And remember, your first try (in my opinion) should be most about making it through the race in a way that makes you desire for the next one.

That said, $550 can buy a decent secondhand road bike.  I bought a used Trek 1500 last year for ~$600 that came with pedals, a seat-post bag, and a Polar bike computer.  So it's definitely possible.  Look at craigslist.com - good deals to be found there.

And for the suit - nope, don't need a tri suit.  You could do the bathing suit / shorts combo, but I think I would be worried about possible chafing issues on the bike.  At a minimum, try whatever you think you're going to go with well before the race.

As usual, it's easier being a guy, but I bought a pair of cheap tri-shorts that I'll swim in, and then just throw a shirt on in T1. 

Good luck, and keep us posted on your bike search!

2009-03-12 7:14 AM
in reply to: #2011941

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY
gcoller - 2009-03-11 6:00 PM

I've had a rough few weeks...finding it difficult to find time to train and the weather has been AWFUL. Not to mention my health was iffy for a few days there. That being said, I think I am less motivated now that I had to cancel my "date" with the April 26th 1/2 marathon.  Two friends I was going to run it with are both preganant! Also, I'm going to an event the night before that would prevent me from making it to NY at all. SO, I decided to do a May 31st Heartbreak Hill Half Marathon. Yes, it includes the Boston marathon hill!  So, that's something to look forward to but I feel like I lost a bit of steam and need to get back on track.  Finally, I am finding it tough to accept my 32:24 5K from Saturday, but I"m thinking it was maybe more than a 5K because my mile split, according to the results, was 10:27.  Thoughts?

-Grace

Grace - I was getting worried about you!!  Stinks that you had to cancel your race, but it sounds like the alternative might even be more fun (and you'll have a few more weeks to train for it now).

And regarding your 5K time - Race distances CAN be innaccurate, so it's possible (you see it on the race reports on this site all the time).  Have you talked to anyone else who did the race to confirm?

Regardless, if anything let it serve as motivation!

Good to have you back!

2009-03-12 7:53 AM
in reply to: #2012366

User image

Master
crdvorscak - 2009-03-11 9:15 PM

Guys, I need some imput.  Firstly, let me say that I am a total amateur here and my very first sprint tri is in June.  Also, I have a crappy bike - I mean really crappy (Walmart!).  So I have set aside some money to get a new (or new to me) road bike.  I have only $550 to spend on a bike, so I know that it won't be a great bike, but I think that I could get a decent one for that price.  Plus since I'm still working up to a first tri and never really biked before, I probably don't need one in the $1000 plus range.  That being said, someone suggested a Fugi newest 3.0 to me.  I need some suggestions on what to get.  I also don't know if it makes any kind of difference, but I am about 35 pounds over weight.

Also, what may be a stupid question....but do I need a tri suit for my first race?  Does everyone wear one?  If not, do women wear swimsuits and then bike shorts over or something like that? 

I second what Jeff said.  Don't feel like you have to buy a new bike for your first Tri.  If you do I would also recommend looking at secondhand bikes via cragslist, etc.  Additionally, you may be able to find a real deal on a previous year's model at a local bike store.  I think the tri-short is ideal for the race witha tri-top.  But, not exactly sure if there are better solutions for woman.  Ladies...can you weigh in here?

2009-03-12 7:57 AM
in reply to: #2011941

User image

Master
gcoller - 2009-03-11 5:00 PM

-Grace

Sorry to hear that things have been tough lately.  We all go through it and you really have to sometimes take a step back, breath, take a day off and then get back at it.  Sounds like you have a good solution on your April half you had to cancel...can't wait to hear about the Boston marathon hill!  Regarding ytou 5-k...sometimes it works the other way...my last tri last year had me running very fast on the 5-k.  I swear it was short and still don't believe I ran the pace they said I did.  In my half marathon in the fall I felt I ran a faster pace and that the official distance was short.  Things are never exact.

2009-03-12 8:01 AM

User image

Master

Well, I have to recommend again that anyone struggling with their swim go and get some individual coaching/training.  Last night in less than an hour I took another 20% off my stroke count per 25M (down to 18 strokes per 25M) and was swimming those 25M faster than ever and at a lower heart rate.  AMAZING!!!

We also did 75M repeats where the 1st 50 was in zone 3 and followed by a 25M recovery.  I was swimming the 50's in 50 sec where on monday I was swimming my 50's in 1 minute.  All technique and adjustments to my stroke.  I was over rotating and that was causing my arms to reach across the centrline and wasting lots of energy at the same time.  At the end we worked on flip turns.  I'm actually starting to realx and really enjoy the swim. 

2009-03-12 3:51 PM

User image

Veteran
greensboro, NC area

Thanks guys for your imput.  I will have to let my husband read this.  His opinion is that my bike is so crappy that it'll take so much more energy for me to finish my miles on that one than on a better road bike.  I was against getting another one until I determine if I like this type of sport.  I have an aquaintance who is a competetive rider who stated that I could just get mine checked and fitted for road riding.  Jason's (my husband) is of the mindset that if I spend money to do that, then I should just invest in a newer actual road bike.  I myselft was a little concerned about spending the money on something that I wasnt' sure I would continue to use regularly. However, it would be nice to try out some really good road bike to see a difference.  At this point, I don't have the experience to compare.  Thoughts? 

I like the idea of tri shorts.  Think I'll go that route with seperate top.

2009-03-12 3:58 PM
in reply to: #2014262

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Well, I can tell you from personal experience that a road bike will feel unbelievably better than a mtn/hybrid (as that is what I had previously).

(It will also go faster with equal effort)

Heck - you've got your husband behind you - take advantage of that!!

Maybe stop by a LBS to do some test rides - they'll usually let you take one or two out for a few miles of riding.  And they might have some used bikes or some of last year's models they're looking to unload.  The advantage there is they'll make sure you buy the right size bike.

Go for it!!

2009-03-13 9:04 AM
in reply to: #2014288

User image

Master

Agree on the stopping by a bike shop and test riding a couple.  At a minimum you'll get a feel for what size you should ride and how a road bike feels compared to what you are riding today.  At the end of the day remember that the biggest determinant of how you do is your engine, not the bike.  I'm not the fastest guy but I can't tell you how many nice tri-bikes I've passed in the few tri's that I have done.

2009-03-16 10:03 AM

New user
You should defintely visit the bike shop.  and maybe a few shops to find one you really trust. I myself have an old fuji bike that i recently spent $140 to upgrade tires/maintenance.  It was a choice between that or spending 700+ for a new bike which i didn't have to spend right now.  I know it will slow me down a bit on the bike but for the moment its a choice i'm comfortable with making.  Also, if and when i can get one of those fancy bikes, I will be in such good shape, I will fly by everyone.
2009-03-16 11:15 AM
in reply to: #2020370

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

duffers - 2009-03-16 11:03 AM  . . .  Also, if and when i can get one of those fancy bikes, I will be in such good shape, I will fly by everyone.

That's perhaps the best mentality one can take.  Focus on the engine first, then the toys.

2009-03-16 5:30 PM
in reply to: #2020545

User image

Master
Maryland
I like that.... "Focus on the engine first, then the toys."
2009-03-16 9:37 PM
in reply to: #2021519

User image

Veteran
it (that quote) sure makes me feel better about my crappy bike! Also, I learned to ride horses on the ones that scared everyone else.  Now I'm an awesome rider...and can ride any horse.  Maybe the same goes for bikes??  On that note, I'm totally going to name my bike "Red-Eyed Lightening".
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dangremond's Group - FULL/CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 10