BT Development Mentor Program Archives » cayrip's sufferers- FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2009-02-12 4:33 PM
in reply to: #1861368

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: cayrip's group - FULL
Interesting article about run training and not getting stuck in a rut running the same old speed all the time.

http://www.rockymountainsports.com/training/learning-from-the-young...

I've taken the ice bath advice and it really drastically improves my recovery time.

2009-02-13 12:15 AM

User image

Regular

That field position sounds great, I just don't think I will be able to get out of here in time.  I will let you know for sure if that changes.  I was really excited when I saw it because I did my study aboad in the Commonwealth of Dominica and absolutely LOVED it.  I have been trying desperately ever since to get back!  Maybe that is motivation enough to buckle down and finish my degree asap.

After looking at it again the august to september dates may actually be a possibility, as long as they are not trying to find someone that can fillboth time frames.  Man I really did enjoy my time there.

Edited by tbcotten 2009-02-13 12:17 AM
2009-02-13 4:56 PM
in reply to: #1958070

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
jtaddei - 2009-02-11 9:39 PM

wetsuit question, sorry i'm short on time so if this has been answered in one of your above links just go ahead and kick me out of the group. (not really)

So I have a pretty high tolerance for cold water.  Yes i'm the guy that will happilly jump quickly into a freezing cold pool first thing in the morning.  What i'm wondering is that with wetsuits i find that it's kind of overcompensation for me in terms of warmth, but the bouyancy cannot be beat.  It's like swimming with pull bouys!

Are there any products out there that are like tri wetsuit bottoms similar to swim jammers (no top)?  They would help with the bouyancy assistance and some time off T1.  If so let me know, i'd rather buy that and spend a little less than buy a sleeveless wetsuit that I may not need.

Thanks in advance!

Short answer yes, there are such wetsuits, they come in bottoms and tops, long answer, well here's a thread kind of asking the same question:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2009-02-15 5:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Des Moines, IA
Subject: RE: cayrip's sufferers- FULL

ah point taken loud and clear.  While the "bouyant" half bottoms may be a better short term solution, the long sleeve full suit will ultimately work better. 

Thanks for the input.  Maybe as a long term investment i can eventually build up a wardrobe of suits that fit the race   Oh a boy can dream.

2009-02-16 8:54 PM

User image

I was in Indiana this week for business and was lucky enough to get a tour of the ZIPP factory.  That place is amazing.  I have just now lifted my chin off the floor after seeing rows and rows of complete carbon wheels.  First time I have ever laid my hands on a sub-9
2009-02-17 8:17 AM
in reply to: #1965516

User image

Expert
AlexanderSmith - 2009-02-16 7:54 PM

I was in Indiana this week for business and was lucky enough to get a tour of the ZIPP factory.  That place is amazing.  I have just now lifted my chin off the floor after seeing rows and rows of complete carbon wheels.  First time I have ever laid my hands on a sub-9

I am jealous. Any freebies? Probably not.

2009-02-22 6:33 AM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
What's with the snake photo Cameron?

I ran a 10k race yesterday to try to get a qualifying Peachtree Road Race #. I knew I wouldn't make the 1A time group (under 50 minutes) but I did make the 1B time group (under 55 minutes) with a time of 54:30. I was pretty excited about that.

What has everyone else been doing? We keep dropping to the 2nd page...
2009-02-22 9:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Des Moines, IA

i'm all paid up and registered for my half iron man!  I'm worried I made a huge mistake but honestly, the only way i'll get a DNF is if my legs disconnect themselves from my torso.

So here's the part where I invite anyone who is doing Steelhead 70.3 to meet up the friday night before the race.

In other news I think i'm getting a knee injury but i'm not sure if it's going away gradually or getting reinjured.  I've never had a knee injury before but it's really tight after running or riding my trainer and it's never happened before.  Yes I have increased my distances over the last 2 months but I don't think i've been overtraining (check my logs).

Any advice on the matter is appreciated.

Edited by jtaddei 2009-02-22 9:45 PM
2009-02-23 9:59 AM
in reply to: #1975411

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
karen26.2 - 2009-02-22 6:33 AM

I ran a 10k race yesterday to try to get a qualifying Peachtree Road Race #. I knew I wouldn't make the 1A time group (under 50 minutes) but I did make the 1B time group (under 55 minutes) with a time of 54:30. I was pretty excited about that.

Congrats on your qualifying time! My wife and I visited some friends in Atlanta about 10 years ago over the 4th weeknd and thought we would jump in on the Peachtree 10k. We got signed up but didn't submit qualifying times so we were way back in the bunch. It was hilarious, we had both trained pretty hard and we thought surly we would be putting PR's up coming down from Colorado. Then the gun went off and we ended up having to walk the first three miles of the race......

I don't know if its still the same but there were only 10 waves for 50k people when we did it. We were used to the Bolder Boulder which at the time had 52+ waves for ~35k runners and everone who walked did a decent job of staying to the right. We still had a great time and spent the rest of the day and well into the evening at one of the outdoor patio establishments on Peach Tree enjoying way too many adult beverages. We still laugh at the lofty goals we had.

Nice job with your qualifying time, 1B sounds like a much more pleasant way to start that race.
2009-02-23 10:09 AM
in reply to: #1976478

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
jtaddei - 2009-02-22 9:45 PM

'm all paid up and registered for my half iron man!  I'm worried I made a huge mistake but honestly, the only way i'll get a DNF is if my legs disconnect themselves from my torso.QUOTE]

Thats what I thought last summer with my first Kansas 70.3, then a thunderstorm rolled in, lightening struck and they yanked me off the course with 10k to go in the run. The odd part being it was a beautiful before and after the storm rolled through, it only lasted about a half hour. My avi pic was taken about noon, you can see how dark it got right before the ligtening hit.

Even with the DNF, it was the best day I have ever had doing a race. Train for it, then enjoy the experience as much as you can allow yourself. It was surprising how fast the day went, even at my pathetically slow times.

Good luck on your knees, I can't help there.

Edited by bvfrompc 2009-02-23 10:11 AM
2009-02-23 2:25 PM
in reply to: #1975411

User image

Expert
karen26.2 - 2009-02-22 5:33 AM

Just a shift in my avatar. That is a photo I took several years ago. It makes me happy.

2009-02-23 2:33 PM

User image

Expert
jtaddei - 2009-02-22 8:45 PM

In other news I think i'm getting a knee injury but i'm not sure if it's going away gradually or getting reinjured.  I've never had a knee injury before but it's really tight after running or riding my trainer and it's never happened before.  Yes I have increased my distances over the last 2 months but I don't think i've been overtraining (check my logs).

Yikes. Where is the stiffness in your knee? IT band can cause stiffness and eventually pain and can be associated with an increase in mileage. My wife suffer's from swelling behind the knee every now and then but it has never developed into a Baker's cyst. She scales back her runnning when it starts to bother her. Runner's knee hurts under the knee cap. What exactly are your symptoms.

Another thing to look at is bike fit. If you saddle is too low you knee can come too far forward during the downstroke causing overuse and tightness. This happened to me when I first started training for my first IM. I would ride my wife's bike (a 52cm specialized and I'm 6'0" with long legs) on long rides since it was much more reliable than my bike at the time. I would end those rides with throbbing knees but I didn't know any better then. 80 miles and four hours of abuse!
2009-02-23 6:16 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
jtaddei - 2009-02-22 10:45 PM

i'm all paid up and registered for my half iron man!  I'm worried I made a huge mistake but honestly, the only way i'll get a DNF is if my legs disconnect themselves from my torso.

How exciting - you'll do great I'm sure.

(I sent in my check for Augusta 70.3 and they cashed it, so I guess that means I'm doing it! Worried about the run, but I think I can struggle through it.)

Don't know about the knee, but take it easy until it feels all better. Don't want to be side-lined for a long time.
2009-02-23 6:18 PM
in reply to: #1976993

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
bvfrompc - 2009-02-23 10:59 AM

karen26.2 - 2009-02-22 6:33 AM

Congrats on your qualifying time! My wife and I visited some friends in Atlanta about 10 years ago over the 4th weeknd and thought we would jump in on the Peachtree 10k. We got signed up but didn't submit qualifying times so we were way back in the bunch. It was hilarious, we had both trained pretty hard and we thought surly we would be putting PR's up coming down from Colorado. Then the gun went off and we ended up having to walk the first three miles of the race......

I don't know if its still the same but there were only 10 waves for 50k people when we did it. We were used to the Bolder Boulder which at the time had 52+ waves for ~35k runners and everone who walked did a decent job of staying to the right. We still had a great time and spent the rest of the day and well into the evening at one of the outdoor patio establishments on Peach Tree enjoying way too many adult beverages. We still laugh at the lofty goals we had.

Nice job with your qualifying time, 1B sounds like a much more pleasant way to start that race.

Yep, it's the same. There is no way you can PR, even if you start up in one of the front waves. There are too many people, and it's way to hot and humid. But it's fun to see all the crazies out there. And good times after like you say at the bars...
2009-02-24 11:03 PM
in reply to: #1977662

User image

Veteran
Des Moines, IA
cayrip - 2009-02-23 2:33 PM
jtaddei - 2009-02-22 8:45 PM

Yikes. Where is the stiffness in your knee? IT band can cause stiffness and eventually pain and can be associated with an increase in mileage. My wife suffer's from swelling behind the knee every now and then but it has never developed into a Baker's cyst. She scales back her runnning when it starts to bother her. Runner's knee hurts under the knee cap. What exactly are your symptoms. Another thing to look at is bike fit. If you saddle is too low you knee can come too far forward during the downstroke causing overuse and tightness. This happened to me when I first started training for my first IM. I would ride my wife's bike (a 52cm specialized and I'm 6'0" with long legs) on long rides since it was much more reliable than my bike at the time. I would end those rides with throbbing knees but I didn't know any better then. 80 miles and four hours of abuse!

Alright where to begin.  The stiffness sort of rests under the knee cap.  It doesn't hurt when I start being mobile but if i'm ever sitting for a while it's pretty tough to straighten out my leg again.  I'm pretty sure it's runners knee.

As a bonus i've posted a video of me on the trainer if any of you want to comment on how my fit looks.  (legs coming up to high? to stretched out? to crunched up?) i have no idea, find something i'm doing wrong and tell me how to fix it.  Btw the bike is 56cm and i'm 6'1"

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=11157&photoid=95532

2009-02-25 7:36 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Joel - can't help you but am curious of other responses. I just looked at / got fitted for my first tri bike yesterday. I'm 6'1" as well, and they said I should get a 56 as well. Having never ridden a tri bike at all, the whole new forward position, aero bars, felt very strange to me. I felt kind of scrunched up and felt like I wanted to be stretched out body wise more. However, your video looks similar to how I probably was on the bike. So I'm interested to find out what others say about your fit.

The guy that fit me took over an hour to measure, adjust, re-adjust, change parts, check angles, etc. So I think he knows what he's talking about. After I left he was going to plug all the #'s in and I guess the computer would tell him the best size to start with. I'll find out tomorrow, and hopefully pick up my new bike Friday!!!

2009-02-25 8:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Des Moines, IA

Karen:  I asked my cousin who has done triathlons for (i believe) over 15 years replied to my email with this advice.

anyway, on to the video...it looks to me like you have a pretty decent aero position especially in the upper body.  if you take a look at your video again you can see that your arms make approximately a 90 degree angle at the elbow and your shoulders are  in that line as well.  (this is good from all i have read and been told) putting your weight in this position helps make it more comfortable and less fatiguing to hold the aero position.  also that shoulder to elbow line falls pretty much right in line with the imaginary line coming up out of the fork so that's good too.  the only thing i would probably adjust is the seat height.  Does it feel like you are getting a good extension on your leg?  it looks like you could go a couple of centimeters up on the seat and be in a more efficient pedaling position.  you want your knee to be slightly bent since all the way straight overextends your leg and more bent takes away from the ability to use your whole leg to pedal.  raising your seat will also raise your hips and close the angle your torso makes with your lower body.  this angle effects your breathing since it creates the area that your lungs use to expand.  To small an angle and you won't be able to take a full breath; to large an angle and you are probably really upright and not in a very aero position.  once you feel like you are getting a good leg extension, it will be time to look at the front end again...this time for height.  at this point, just see how comfortable it is to breathe and hold the position.  the lower the front end, the more aero you'll be but you will compromise on comfort and breathing so you'll want to find a good balance between being low and comfortable enough to actually ride.  since you have the front-back position pretty well set, it will be just a matter of putting spacers in or taking them away from the headset which is pretty easy to do yourself.

2009-02-26 3:43 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Wow - your cousin sounds pretty knowledgeable, that's some good info.

The bike shop called and said my bike is ready for fitting and pickup so I'm going tomorrow. He did say he went with the 58 based on the measurements he took and said that I could have gone with either but I was pushing the end of the range for the 56 and I'd have more ability to change the 58 later on as I improved. Makes sense to me.

I will post a picture this weekend - but no comments about the carpet, blinds, etc. ok???? = )
2009-03-02 9:44 AM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Bump to Page 1...

Picked up my bike Friday, but have not had a chance to ride it yet. I did a half marathon trail run on Saturday (Cameron did it a few years ago) in the rain, mud, puddles, ponds, mess and had a blast. Yesterday it snowed here so I didn't get out either.

Will post a picture this week if I can get my husband to help me.

How is everyone?
2009-03-02 11:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Des Moines, IA
i got laid off today.  May completely leave my field and work elsewhere.  We'll see where I end up.
2009-03-03 9:01 AM
in reply to: #1993288

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
jtaddei - 2009-03-03 12:19 AM

i got laid off today.  May completely leave my field and work elsewhere.  We'll see where I end up.

That sucks - sorry to hear it. It's scary out there, my company has had several lay offs and you hear about some everyday at other companies or from friends and family. Maybe this will be a good opportunity to do something you've always wanted to do.

2009-03-03 6:56 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

OK I give up.  How does one post a photo on here?  I've updated photos to snapfish and tried that.  I uploaded them on here to my album and tried that.  Can't seem to figure it out.  Must be a blonde thing!  It just shows up as a red x???

Both my road bike and new tri bike are in my album so you can view there I think, but how do you post them in here???

2009-03-04 5:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Des Moines, IA

what the hell is going on?  We go from 10 to 12 pages in our thread and these are still the last few posts?

edit: back to 10 pages

Edited by jtaddei 2009-03-05 1:30 PM
2009-03-04 6:48 PM

User image

Regular
I've been getting some lower back and left shoulder pain during my rides.  The shoulder pain is by far more of an issue then the lower back.  Its towards the back side of my rotator and I have slow down and stretch it out or else it gets really painful.  Any suggestions?
2009-03-05 5:56 AM
in reply to: #1997884

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia

tbcotten - 2009-03-04 7:48 PM I've been getting some lower back and left shoulder pain during my rides.  The shoulder pain is by far more of an issue then the lower back.  Its towards the back side of my rotator and I have slow down and stretch it out or else it gets really painful.  Any suggestions?

Have you had injuries in those spots?  I get lower back pain on my right side, but I had a stress fracture in my right hip last year so I contribute it to that and all the muscles, tendons, ligaments not being as strong.

Maybe try some stretching and icing.

Have you increased your mileage recently that could cause this?  Just like running it's important to build up miles on the bike.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » cayrip's sufferers- FULL Rss Feed  

of 9