BT Development Mentor Program Archives » stevebradley's Mentor Group FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 264

2009-01-29 12:16 PM
in reply to: #1935234

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: stevebradley's Mentor Group FULL

GRACE -

Wonderful picture of you! Yes, it is nice to be able to attach faces to the names. Makes the relative anonymity seem less "remote".

Do you somehow have a "setting" where your pictures cycle through? This is the second one today, and I wonder if there will be more to follow. (Do you come comparably equipped with multiple personalities??)

2009-01-29 12:19 PM
in reply to: #1935803

User image

Champion

OFF TO TORONTO!

I'm heading down to visit Lynn's parents for a few days, likely returning Sunday. I think there are open computers at their nursing home, and if so I will keep in touch; otherwise, I'll return with a vengeance Sunday evening!

Train safely, persons!
2009-01-29 1:08 PM
in reply to: #1896958

User image

Master
Reston, VA
....well don't tell my husband that he shouldn't feel bad about missing workouts!!!

due to some unusual events he has had to miss 2 of his first 3 tri workouts of the season, and I haven't miss one yet. I am trying to convince him that that means I am going to KICK HIS BUTT this season.
2009-01-29 1:19 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
I hope you are feeling better Grace!!!
2009-01-29 1:21 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Neil,
I love the flipping underwater idea. I bet that would really work, but I have to admit, I would feel really stupid doing flips in our 3 foot lap lanes. I think I'll just gut this one out

Hope the massage went well. Depending on how sore you were, they can be painful!!!

Do you have a foam roller?

I just got one this weekend and have done it 3-4 times and already swear by it.
2009-01-29 5:32 PM
in reply to: #1935803

User image

Regular

stevebradley - 2009-01-29 1:16 PM GRACE - Wonderful picture of you! ...Do you come comparably equipped with multiple personalities??

STEVE, uh... yeah I have a couple different facets to my personality and decided to swap out the first scary pic with a smiley one to give a better impression of myself heh.

2009-01-29 5:38 PM
in reply to: #1935951

User image

Regular

LISA,

Thanks! I'm feeling muuch better today and managed to put in 20 min treadmill and 26 min bike that I missed doing yesterday, according to my training plan. I wonder about those three missed days and if I should try to make up for them a bit better or push back (reschedule) the entire plan. 

Tonight is going to be a fun night - kayak roll sessions in heated pool woo hoo!

hooslisa - 2009-01-29 2:19 PM I hope you are feeling better Grace!!!

2009-01-29 7:05 PM
in reply to: #1936522

User image

Master
Reston, VA
gracetaBitha - 2009-01-29 6:38 PM

LISA,

Thanks! I'm feeling muuch better today and managed to put in 20 min treadmill and 26 min bike that I missed doing yesterday, according to my training plan. I wonder about those three missed days and if I should try to make up for them a bit better or push back (reschedule) the entire plan. 

Tonight is going to be a fun night - kayak roll sessions in heated pool woo hoo!

hooslisa - 2009-01-29 2:19 PM I hope you are feeling better Grace!!!

I am so jealous. I have always wanted to kayak!!! I decided I can only handle one expensive sport a time right now.

steve had posted sometime yesterday, I think, some thoughts about making up lost workouts. If they weren't "critical" workouts, don't worry about it. Critical would be a long run or long bike, etc. If they were just normal workouts, don't worry about it. If they were important ones, you might want to do them instead of what is planned over the next few days..t If all of the days of your plan are fairly equivalent at this point, I would say don't worry about it. a missed workout never killed anyone. glad to hear you are feeling better.

here is a random piece of trivia. at least a year ago I read an article that said a study had found that people who gargle w/ just plain old water were less likely to get sick. The thought process was that alot of phlegm (yum) and other bacteria sits on the back of your tongue and this crud can make you sick. by gargling w/ water on a regular basis you wash out what is back there. who knows if it is true, but I started gargling in the shower before I get out and I very rarely get sick. I figure true or not, I can't hurt and it doesn't cost me money.
2009-01-29 7:09 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
one other question, grace.... are you anywhere near warren, pa? that's where my brother lives. just curious. i am from pa originally.
2009-01-29 11:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Quick question for anyone that knows tech stuff:

Will these work with my Trek 1.2? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&item=110342416025

I got the Syntace C2 with TT bars and levers, but I need Bar End Shifters.

2009-01-30 6:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Had a "fun" 5k today (Kabul Winter Olympics) and although they said it was for fun, I raced it trying to get under 22 minutes. The course may have well been on a track because it was flat and very easy to run, but it worked out in my favor. I didn't win, but I posted a new PR @ 21:44. I'm guessing that when I get back to the US, this time will drop at least a bit and at most dramatically. So, although I was near Max HR and LT, I had a little extra step when I needed it to ward off some competitors. I felt pretty good. First race I wasn't gasping for air afterwards though, so what does that say?

2009-01-30 7:28 AM
in reply to: #1936969

User image

Champion

I'm in Toronto now, having even found a computer and figured out how to get onto it. Jeez, Lisa, the tech-savvy stuff just keeps happening. Thanks for empowering me!

Anyhow, I'll be on-and-off with this, not at all as frequently as when at home.

Workout today -- moving furniture.
2009-01-30 7:34 AM
in reply to: #1936969

User image

Champion

NATHAN -

There ya go, baby!! I knew you had it in you! That is a great time - 21:44; mercy!

So, how much did you red-line it, and how much did you just plain knock it off? I'm curious as to how you guaged your effort at it.

This is going back a bunch of days, but I'm sure that if you're at altitude now, you'll reap the benefits of that when you return here and settle into something right about sea-level. Just think of all the people who spend big bucks to train at altitude, or even go out and buy one of those altitude tents, and I think you'll see why they would see your current altitude training as advantageous.

So, what's next in your 5k thinking - sub-21?
2009-01-30 7:41 AM
in reply to: #1936522

User image

Champion

GRACE -

My fourth personality says hello to your sixth personality.

Definitely don't worry about those missed workouts, and don't try to "piggy-back" them with new workouts. Have a look back to the bottom of page 7, something I titled Missed Workouts and Guilt-Angst. That might help you a bit with what you are feeling.

(Even having written it, and of course having thought about in the process, i am still feeling a bit guilty about how Wednesday's plans evaporated....and how I didn't do anything yesterday.....and how I likely won't do anything today, either. I REALLY wish that in this regard I could effectively practice what I preach!!!)
2009-01-30 7:42 AM
in reply to: #1937019

User image

Extreme Veteran

Well Steve, if you've read my blog then you know that I don't like to set my sites anywhere but in the realm of the unreasonable , so my next goal is a sub 20. If I can get there, then I have a chance to be competitive at a local level at least.

I think I ran the race at about 85-90%. During the race it felt like 100, but I think that because I was pacing myself for 21 that I left a little bit out there. I felt great afterwards, if that is any indication.

I think I am going to start doing some runs where I teach myself to finish fast. Maybe a 4 mile tempo run with a mile sprint at the end...something like that.

2009-01-30 7:46 AM
in reply to: #1936898

User image

Champion

NATHAN -

It's Friday morning here, and I will try to phone a bike or tri-shop (Endurosports is in Toronto) and ask them if DuraAce bar-end shifters are compatible with Syntace C2, with time trial bars. Do I have that correct? I can't promise anything here (we'll be running around lots, and I don't have a cell phone), but I shall do my best!

2009-01-30 8:17 AM
in reply to: #1936898

User image

Veteran
nhangen - 2009-01-30 12:35 AM

Quick question for anyone that knows tech stuff:

Will these work with my Trek 1.2? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&item=110342416025

I got the Syntace C2 with TT bars and levers, but I need Bar End Shifters.

I asked my husband as he knows much more than I do about bikes.  He couldn't think of a reason why they would not work.

Edited by mindymcc 2009-01-30 8:17 AM
2009-01-30 8:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Steve and Mindy, I really appreciate it.

The only thing I was concerned about is the 8 speed matchup. If I remember right, the 1.2 is an 8 speed so it should be an issue. The only concern I have is this friction thing I hear a lot about. I don't know anything about the 2 modes.

2009-01-30 9:07 AM

User image

I have a picture - two in fact!  Both totally unrelated to training but I couldn't find any race pictures.... I just didn't want to be the only one without.  I'm a sucker for peer pressure apparently??

I will be looking for a bike this weekend - very excited as it has been almost perfect weather here in Charlotte this week (at least on my lunch break).  I can't afford an official bike, even an unofficial good bike, so any advice on the basics that I should be looking for when I go?  I know it's all about fit and what I am comfortable in.  But just was wondering if there were any big NO's to look out for. 

thank you thank you in advance.

2009-01-30 10:53 AM
in reply to: #1937124

User image

Champion

NATHAN -

The tech whiz at Enduropsports says that he knows of no incompatabilities: "Yeah, like, slot A, groove A, slot B, groove B.....should be completely fine."

So........

Hope this helps, and that mostly it isn't false! (I guess that's why we try to trust the experts, eh?)
2009-01-30 11:17 AM
in reply to: #1937182

User image

Champion
Becky -

Well, don't get talked into a "pennyfarthing" - you know, one of those days-of-yore bikes that had a front wheel 374 times larger than the rear wheel!

As for big NOs, I think not, really. For you ("....can't afford an official bike, even an unofficial good bike..."), it should be all about fit. As you ask or call around, try to find the bike shop that provides the most comprehensive fit. You ideally want something more than just the standard straddling-the-top-tube assessment, and if you are thinking of fitting your bike with something along the lines of clip-on aerobars, just make sure that the geometry of the bike can accommodate both the bars and you in that somewhat stretched-out aero position. A good bike shop will make your request for a good fit sound perfectly natural, and nothing unreasonable or along the lines of a big imposition.

A good bike shop will also tweak when you tell them you want the bike for racing, especially triathlons, and they will work with you to match your budget with the goals for the bike. And, you may be surprised at how good an inexpensive bike can be. My first was an Aquila (Canadian company), and it served me well for my first season. It was by design a pretty good road bike, but the basic geometry of it was slightly steeper so it worked well as a retro-fitted tri bike. I initially got a set of $50 Profile design aerobars, and those were perfect for me when I was raw at all of this. It was not a bike with bar-end shifters, which is what Nathan is loooking for now (see his post above), but as the shifters were right there next to the brake levers, it was great for me during thta period in which I was adjusting to racing on a bike.

Finally, remember that a good rider can go real fast on even a run-of-the-mill bike, while a poor rider STILL can't make a top-of-the-line bike move at high speed. So, in a few days you will have a bike on which you can work to become the best rider possible - it's your OWN "engine" that counts most! (Chrissie Wellington has the mid-price Cervelo, the P2C, and she blows away all women - and many powerful male riders - on it. Sure, she could go up a couple or few thousand more and get something top-of-the-line, but that model works for her ---- and SHE makes it work!)

Have a happy shopping trip!
(And, I guess Inside-Out couldn't help you? Sorry about that false lead.)

Edited by stevebradley 2009-01-30 11:22 AM

2009-01-30 11:23 AM
in reply to: #1937484

User image

Champion

The other name for a pennyfarthing was "bone-shaker". That was not part of the marketing plan for them, however.
2009-01-30 11:43 AM

User image

Thanks for the pep talk! 

I did get a chance to go to inside-out; they were really great.  Unfortunately they were only selling '09 models and had no trade-ins at the moment.  But we exchanged names and I'm hoping to continue to check in with them in case anything comes up.  They also gave me a brochure to take a look at different models to consider. 

I'm not sure of the last time (if ever) I was warned of  a "pennyfarth-er"... just wanted to throw that out there....I wikipedia-ed it. 

2009-01-30 12:21 PM
in reply to: #1936640

User image

Regular

hooslisa - 2009-01-29 8:05 PM I am so jealous. I have always wanted to kayak!!! I decided I can only handle one expensive sport a time right now.

LISA - Kayaking is expensive, but after the initial $$ outlay for a boat, paddle, skirt and helmet, I get to enjoy nature's rivers and lakes for free! Spencer and I are planning a 3 day kayak-camp-fish at Kinzua this year and I am excited about that.

Thanks for the advice on the missed workout days dilemma. Really appreciated. And also about the gargling. Funny thing is I didn't get a fullblown flu like Spencer did. Sniffles for a couple days with extreme fatigue and that was it. 

I'm in Natrona Heights, PA, 45 minutes north of Pittsburgh.

2009-01-30 12:25 PM
in reply to: #1937033

User image

Master
Reston, VA
nhangen - 2009-01-30 8:42 AM

Well Steve, if you've read my blog then you know that I don't like to set my sites anywhere but in the realm of the unreasonable , so my next goal is a sub 20. If I can get there, then I have a chance to be competitive at a local level at least.

I think I ran the race at about 85-90%. During the race it felt like 100, but I think that because I was pacing myself for 21 that I left a little bit out there. I felt great afterwards, if that is any indication.

I think I am going to start doing some runs where I teach myself to finish fast. Maybe a 4 mile tempo run with a mile sprint at the end...something like that.

that is an awesome time, nathan. sub 20 here you come!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » stevebradley's Mentor Group FULL Rss Feed  

of 264