BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2009-04-17 11:36 AM
in reply to: #2068936

User image

Master
On a lake in the Adirondacks in NY
Subject: RE: Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED
I've got the same questions about gears.  I have a hybrid.  I usually just leave the front in the middle gear and play with going up and down in the back.  I've been riding on the trainer all winter and I have no idea how that is going to translate to the road.

It's Friday!  Happy weekend everyone!

2009-04-17 12:42 PM

User image

Expert
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Hi All,

Just got back from a short sweet easy run. Needing to keep the blood flowing in my legs in case I do my race tomorrow (weather is looking bad, so I may can it). The race is a biathlon, 5K and then 11 mile ride. The course is a hilly one so it should be fun. I am really doing it more for training. And the race atmosphere is real fun too, so many pretty bikes, guys in spandex... ooh.

We have few hills around by my house so this little race seemed like a good occasion to get in some hill training. It is the only way, for me, to get good at shifting, and thinking on the fly when I am riding. I also use these small races to practice eating and hydrating while on my bike.

Looks like many of you are having some decent training days! We have a great group here! Keep up the hard work everyone!
2009-04-17 1:44 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Hey, ya'll.  Just wanted to briefly come on and say that I'm prepping for a tri tomorrow and am swamped with work (of course I am) this afternoon, but that I'll be back to catch-up with the latest posts some time later in the day tomorrow.

Enjoy your Friday!
2009-04-17 1:55 PM
in reply to: #2092171

User image

lkagop - 2009-04-17 2:44 PM Hey, ya'll.  Just wanted to briefly come on and say that I'm prepping for a tri tomorrow and am swamped with work (of course I am) this afternoon, but that I'll be back to catch-up with the latest posts some time later in the day tomorrow.

Enjoy your Friday!

Good Luck!
2009-04-17 2:09 PM
in reply to: #2090247

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
myoun - 2009-04-16 9:04 PM

This is my first week on my new bike (Jamis Ventura - nice entry level road bike) so I am getting use to it all still.  I was too scared to try the clipless for the ride today, but maybe that will be my goal for this weekend. 

Congrats on the new bike! I got a Specialized Dolce about a month ago with clipless pedels too. I thought I should try them out in my 'hood before I went out with a group, had a couple good stop and goes so I went into my driveway unclipped the one foot to stop, talked to my husband for a min. he turned away, and I guess I tried to get off my bike without unclipping the other foot and fell hard!

My husband was shocked "you weren't even moving!" Thank goodness it was just him ;0)

Hope you have better luck your first outting! Got a ride planned tonight with some of the guys from the bike shop, hope I can keep up!
2009-04-17 4:08 PM

User image

Elite
Puyallup, WA
Well good luck everyone who is doing a run or a tri tomorrow - go Lora!!

I'll use you all as inspiration as I get out there and move!

2009-04-17 5:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Queens, NY
Subject: Weekly progress
It sounds like alot of you have had an active week! I have as well. I completed my first month of boot camp conditioning and I feel pretty good. At first I wasn't sure which was worse - getting up in time to be there for the 5:30 am class or the workout itself. I have re-upped for another month, as this next session will mostly be outside and I see a big difference in my overall condition already.

Turns out my instructor has done a few tri's , and now that she knows I am training, has focused some advice and info towards me - during and after class. Ha! I guess I am up to the challenge. For inspiration, she sent me a page of Dara Torres pics....saying "and she is fortysomething"( insert scary psycho music here)! LOL. I guess he dosen't realize, that I am too!

I injured my calf about two weeks ago and this week I had a few small tentative runs on the dreadmill and outside on small hills. Not too bad. I have been cycling on the trainer indoors, but have to get outside. I am terrified of these clipless pedals on my pretty bike but have made a pact with myself to get outside somewhere this week and practice some starts and stops.

The last thing to get into is the POOL. I did swim a few laps today recreationally and boy it feels so good to be in the water again!  But I have to figure out how and when to get back in on a regular basis. DH actually volunteered to swim with me once a week to get me back in the groove, which is very sweet . Time is doing nothing but passing so I must get on it.

I usually go to spin class on Saturday mornings, but its going to be warm. I think I will head to the beach to do a run  early.
2009-04-17 9:05 PM

User image

Regular
Western Massachussetts
I am in FLORIDA now. Late flight last night, posting on a cell phone. Not too good at texting. Walked 10 miles today on the beach, it was great! Hip is almost better. Swim and run tommorrow.
2009-04-17 9:35 PM

User image

New user

Hi all!  I planned to work out today, but got swamped at work so I stayed late then had a party to go to at 7.  I don't think I'll get to work out tomorrow either.  We're going back to Morgantown, WV to go to the Spring Blue and Gold football game.  Need to come up with something good for Sunday to compensate for these 2 days off! 

Good luck tomorrow Lora!  I can't wait to see the race report.

Jen, good luck with the duathlon if you decide to do it.  I wish we had something like that in my neck of the woods.  That sounds like a fun one.

Have a great weekend everyone!!

2009-04-18 12:18 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
Hope everyone is haveing the wonderful weather we are having here!

I got out for a run with my 20 mo yesturday morning and a 19 mil bike ride yesturday evening. Wow! My legs were tired last night, and I thought for sure I would be sore today, but am feeling good minus the bruise on my forarm and hip from falling off the bike, again... this time in front of relative stangers, and hard enough to tork my bike seat around and at an extra 10 mils to my new bike computer!

Well, I'm both happy and sad that I have the day "off". Happy to be with the family and headed to an Earth day rally and an art opening, but sad that I'm not running or something today.

Happy Weekend!
2009-04-18 12:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern VA
Hey Lora,
I noticed on your blog that you are sponsered by GU. How does that kind of stuff work?
After my first mini-tri and the 3rd place my LBS, Im guessing jokingly said "if you keep racing like that we might have to sponser you."  are you still considered amature if you are sponsered?

One good thing, that have been hooking me up with installs and bike stuff since then!! But, maybe it is the lack of girls on the bike scene Wink

2009-04-18 1:40 PM

User image

Expert
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Hey Ladies!

Back from my biathlon... did well and got second place in my age group (40-44). It was a tough hilly course, but not too long and luckily the weather held so no rain, but there was a lot of wind. It was a very fun day. You can go to my training log and click on the race report link at the bottom of today's log to see more detailed info. http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=155041

Hope everyone is having a good day and good luck to Lora!

Edited by blujay65 2009-04-18 1:42 PM

(Jen with trophy 2 small.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Jen with trophy 2 small.jpg (38KB - 3 downloads)
2009-04-18 4:45 PM
in reply to: #2093969

User image

Regular
Montreal, Quebec
blujay65 - 2009-04-18 2:40 PM

Hey Ladies!

Back from my biathlon... did well and got second place in my age group (40-44). It was a tough hilly course, but not too long and luckily the weather held so no rain, but there was a lot of wind. It was a very fun day. You can go to my training log and click on the race report link at the bottom of today's log to see more detailed info. http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=155041

Congrats!!!!!
2009-04-18 5:26 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

Hey Ladies!

Woo hooooo, Jen!!!! Congrats on that 2nd place AG finish!!!!!  You look completely and utterly happy!!!  Awesome!
2009-04-18 5:38 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Back from my first tri of the season - and my first indoor pool tri!  They haven't posted results yet, but when they do, I'll start my race report (RR).  In the meantime, here are some initial thoughts I wrote on my Training Log.

I can say that the indoor pool swim was colder and more fun than I thought; T1 wasn't as cold as I thought it would be; the bike was horrible with hills that belong in West Virginia not Ohio; T2 was fast; the run was great, though my calves started tightening so I had to stop 3 times to stretch, but I'm still pleased with my time considering I train on hills and this was flat (running on flats is HARD if you don't train on them - seriously!).

Great to have my BT and Cincy tri club friends cheering me on.  That was so cool.

I debated on whether to do this tri or not for the longest time, but I'm so glad I did.  I've missed racing here in the off season and it got me pumped for the remainder of the year.  I got to meet a couple ladies (one here on BT and the other a friend of a friend with the tri club) who were doing this tri as their first and it was great to see them after the finish line or cheer them on in the run.  Man, I absolutely love, love, love this sport!
2009-04-18 5:43 PM
in reply to: #2090247

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
myoun - 2009-04-16 9:04 PM

Hey all-
Got out for a 7 mi ride this afternoon.  I'm still slow, but glad I am getting out there.  This is my first week on my new bike (Jamis Ventura - nice entry level road bike) so I am getting use to it all still.  I was too scared to try the clipless for the ride today, but maybe that will be my goal for this weekend.  Tomorrow - running!  And it thankfully supposed to finally be nice and warm here in NJ.

Mary Sue

Congrats for getting out there, Mary Sue.  It can take a while to adjust to a road bike.  Practice clipping in and out in grass or inside in a tight hallway.  That way you'll feel more comfortable when you do go out on the road.  Hope you ended up having a nice run in nice weather today!

2009-04-18 5:55 PM
in reply to: #2091145

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Hmm.  Bike gears.  At a quick search, I can't find any articles immediately, however, I will say that you should just practice shifting and find what works best for you.  Once your other shifter is fixed, you may have a different perspective.  Some bike guru might disagree, but just never shift the left and the right at the same time.

I'll be on the lookout for a good article or link for you in the meantime, though.
2009-04-18 6:00 PM
in reply to: #2092869

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Subject: RE: Weekly progress
bluwatersoul - 2009-04-17 6:53 PM It sounds like alot of you have had an active week! I have as well. I completed my first month of boot camp conditioning and I feel pretty good. At first I wasn't sure which was worse - getting up in time to be there for the 5:30 am class or the workout itself. I have re-upped for another month, as this next session will mostly be outside and I see a big difference in my overall condition already.

Turns out my instructor has done a few tri's , and now that she knows I am training, has focused some advice and info towards me - during and after class. Ha! I guess I am up to the challenge. For inspiration, she sent me a page of Dara Torres pics....saying "and she is fortysomething"( insert scary psycho music here)! LOL. I guess he dosen't realize, that I am too!

I injured my calf about two weeks ago and this week I had a few small tentative runs on the dreadmill and outside on small hills. Not too bad. I have been cycling on the trainer indoors, but have to get outside. I am terrified of these clipless pedals on my pretty bike but have made a pact with myself to get outside somewhere this week and practice some starts and stops.

The last thing to get into is the POOL. I did swim a few laps today recreationally and boy it feels so good to be in the water again!  But I have to figure out how and when to get back in on a regular basis. DH actually volunteered to swim with me once a week to get me back in the groove, which is very sweet . Time is doing nothing but passing so I must get on it.

I usually go to spin class on Saturday mornings, but its going to be warm. I think I will head to the beach to do a run  early.

Hey, Megan.  That's awesome that your instructor does tris.  It's great to have people in your life who "get it."

Definitely get out there and practice clipping in and out either in grass or in an indoor hallway a few times before you take it to the road.  That's great that your husband is going with you to the pool every so often.  That'll help get you in the groove.  Hope you had a great beach run this morning!
2009-04-18 6:01 PM
in reply to: #2093190

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
sahebb - 2009-04-17 10:05 PM I am in FLORIDA now. Late flight last night, posting on a cell phone. Not too good at texting. Walked 10 miles today on the beach, it was great! Hip is almost better. Swim and run tommorrow.

Wow.  A 10-mile walk?  Glad the hip is almost at a full recovery!
2009-04-18 6:03 PM
in reply to: #2093228

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
maggiewvu - 2009-04-17 10:35 PM

Hi all!  I planned to work out today, but got swamped at work so I stayed late then had a party to go to at 7.  I don't think I'll get to work out tomorrow either.  We're going back to Morgantown, WV to go to the Spring Blue and Gold football game.  Need to come up with something good for Sunday to compensate for these 2 days off! 

Good luck tomorrow Lora!  I can't wait to see the race report.

Jen, good luck with the duathlon if you decide to do it.  I wish we had something like that in my neck of the woods.  That sounds like a fun one.

Have a great weekend everyone!!

Hope you had fun at the game, Maggie!
2009-04-18 6:10 PM
in reply to: #2093887

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
freeflykami - 2009-04-18 1:34 PM Hey Lora,
I noticed on your blog that you are sponsered by GU. How does that kind of stuff work?
After my first mini-tri and the 3rd place my LBS, Im guessing jokingly said "if you keep racing like that we might have to sponser you."  are you still considered amature if you are sponsered?

One good thing, that have been hooking me up with installs and bike stuff since then!! But, maybe it is the lack of girls on the bike scene Wink

Oh, wow.  Where to begin?  Companies like GU have different kinds of sponsorships.  I obviously don't have the same sponsorship deals like the pros, though, and I'm definitely an amateur.

Some LBS' do have sponsorships (I'm not sure exactly as I haven't inquired), and, frankly, next time you go in I'd ask him about it.  Seriously.

2009-04-18 6:45 PM

User image

Master

Hey Ladies!

Congratulations on your second place finish!  WooHoo!
2009-04-18 6:51 PM
in reply to: #2094315

User image

Master
lkagop - 2009-04-18 6:38 PM Back from my first tri of the season - and my first indoor pool tri!  They haven't posted results yet, but when they do, I'll start my race report (RR).  In the meantime, here are some initial thoughts I wrote on my Training Log.

I can say that the indoor pool swim was colder and more fun than I thought; T1 wasn't as cold as I thought it would be; the bike was horrible with hills that belong in West Virginia not Ohio; T2 was fast; the run was great, though my calves started tightening so I had to stop 3 times to stretch, but I'm still pleased with my time considering I train on hills and this was flat (running on flats is HARD if you don't train on them - seriously!).

Great to have my BT and Cincy tri club friends cheering me on.  That was so cool.

I debated on whether to do this tri or not for the longest time, but I'm so glad I did.  I've missed racing here in the off season and it got me pumped for the remainder of the year.  I got to meet a couple ladies (one here on BT and the other a friend of a friend with the tri club) who were doing this tri as their first and it was great to see them after the finish line or cheer them on in the run.  Man, I absolutely love, love, love this sport!

Sounds like you had a great day.  Looking forward to your race report.
2009-04-18 6:59 PM

User image

Master
Today was a rest day for me.  Usually on Saturday I take a power yoga class, but I had to teach two classes after that so I skipped it.  I'm regretting it now.  I've got a ton of energy and I don't know what to do with it.  I've been doing housework all afternoon.  I was even scrubbing the grout in the bathroom!  I can't wait to go for a run tomorrow morning.

I know rest days are important, but I think I'm getting addicted to training and I don't want to skip a day.  I'm going to try getting out the knitting project I started a few months ago and see if it helps to have something to do with my hands.

I hope you are all enjoying your weekend!
2009-04-18 7:26 PM
in reply to: #2094432

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
serendipity - 2009-04-18 7:59 PM Today was a rest day for me.  Usually on Saturday I take a power yoga class, but I had to teach two classes after that so I skipped it.  I'm regretting it now.  I've got a ton of energy and I don't know what to do with it.  I've been doing housework all afternoon.  I was even scrubbing the grout in the bathroom!  I can't wait to go for a run tomorrow morning.

I know rest days are important, but I think I'm getting addicted to training and I don't want to skip a day.  I'm going to try getting out the knitting project I started a few months ago and see if it helps to have something to do with my hands.

I hope you are all enjoying your weekend!

Wow!  That's bad when you get down to scrubbing bathroom grout!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Lora's First-Timers Women's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 36