BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jackjack's group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-05-02 7:24 PM
in reply to: #2077527

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Jackjack's group - closed
PHEW- It's been a crazy hectic 3 days for me. Thursday was the marathon trip to Vermont for me. I convinced my mom to go along for the ride (it wasn't hard to do), and we took the kids so we could check out a childrens science museum while there.  We left my house at 8 am and didn't get home until 10:30 that night.

The bike was a joke. It was not at all what he had posted on CL. Basically just the frame, which I think was bent. The ECHO museum was great- not very big, and not a lot of other people there.

So, I'm pretty bummed about the bike thing. I have a Jamis Coda, which is a flat bar street bike. But it's heavy, and I really want a road bike. I'm contemplating my options, but I think I'll go through this season on the Coda, and keep saving. Then, if I'm injury free throughout the season, I'll be able to justify spending $$ on a new bike next year. In the meantime, I'll keep an eye on CL, and if something great shows up, I'll consider it.

As far as workouts go; I have done nothing since Weds. I'm hoping to get on the trainer tonight after the kids go to bed. But we spent the day painting the kitchen and the fumes are kinda killin me right now   Oh well, I've wanted to paint it since October when my little guy took a Sharpie pen and drew all over one of the walls.

The swim advise was great. I have no clue how to backstroke...I guess I should learn.

2009-05-02 9:30 PM

User image

Expert
Training plan question:

I'm doing the 20 week oly program, which builds in a "rest/recovery week" every four weeks. I'm scheduled to start mine tomorrow. However, I don't feel like I earned it or need it. This past week ended up being way under the planned minutes.

SO, can I repeat last weeks plan (starting tomorrow) and just skip the rest week? Am I increasing my risk of injury if I do that?
2009-05-03 10:13 AM
in reply to: #2126096

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Heidi
This is a great question.  Normally if you miss a couple of workouts you should forget about them and just move on as plan indicates.   However if you hardly managed to stick to your plan (you had a hectic week I saw) then there is no reason not to repeat the week.  You would not be increasing risk of injury by repeating it.  You can just think of last week as being your recovery week.  Remember these plans are generic and you can be flexible.  My concern would be that you will now do a longer block of weeks before another recovery week so the risk of injury/ tiredness etc should be monitored carefully a few weeks from now.  If need be you could stick a mini recovery week (eg half a week easy stuff) if you feel you need it by replacing some of the scheduled workouts.

This would also be a great question that would benefit others and have some more opinions in the general tri forum if you were feeling that brave!

Jackie
2009-05-03 2:50 PM

User image

Expert
Hey Cynthia- I just saw your numbers comparison between APril '08 and '09! Way to go!!

I found a bike! CL- Giant OCR. I test road her today, but didn't bring her home, because I didn't have the bike rack on. So, I'm going to get her this evening! I'll need to do a little tweaking for fit. Imagine I'll need a shorter stem, because I felt pretty stretched out on her.

I'll post pictures when I get her here. She comes with aero bars and a wireless cateye! I'll need bottle cages, new bar tape and one of the plugs is missing off of the bar.  But she's light and fast, and I'm psyched! This is a great bike for me to use for the next few years, at a screaming deal- (I think!).
2009-05-03 5:04 PM
in reply to: #2126708

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Yahoo, the new bike has happened this year.  So exciting for you.  My road bike is a Giant OCR (OCR 1 in think) and I love it.  It has a  triple ring and so was lovely going up hills.  I bought it one April from a bike shop as a "last seasons model" and the owner of the bike shop still tells me it is a great bike.
2009-05-04 6:43 AM
in reply to: #2126854

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Good morning everyone
I hope everyone had a good weekend.  Lots of busy stuff going on with people with travelling and moving and bike buying!

So, today is the start of our fruit and veg challenge for whoever wants in.  Hopefully that is all of us. 
Has everyone got this weeks training planned?  If not and you want any help let me/ us know.  I've entered a 5k race next weekend.  It's the Pink Ribbon run for breast cancer which is traditionally held on Mothers day.  My best friend found out she had breast cancer when she was nursing her 3rd child.  Some horrid years of treatment for her and a mastectomy but she has been clear for 5 years now.  I like this run cos it makes me think about her and others who have gone through it.  But on a more happy note it is a womens only run of about 900 and is a great atmosphere.

2009-05-04 8:12 AM
in reply to: #2127740

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI
Good morning!
Jackie- Good luck on your 5k coming up! They have here in Milwaukee the Race for The Cure, a 5k supporting breast cancer research. I have participated for the past 3 years. This year my final triathlon in September is the Danskin triathlon which also supports breast cancer research. I have a teammate from soccer who actually competed in the indoor/outdoor triathlon with me a couple weeks ago who is a breast cancer survivor, and she is also competing in the Danskin tri. I got her hooked on triathlons now too!
I had an ok run yesterday. I did have to stop and walk twice since my IT band tightened up again on me. But I wanted to finish the run since I know I need to get those long runs in so mentally I am ready for the half marathon. Speaking of the half marathon, what should I plan on nutrition-wise? I like your suggestion of walking the aid stations, and normally in a sprint triathlon I take a gel as I leave T1. I like the Accel-Gel (Accelerade makes a gel that I find works for me, it tastes good and I can get it down ok). Some people have suggested a fuel belt (which do I really need? They have aid stations every 1.5-2 miles of the course) and Endurance Max (it's a watered down gel that also has electrolytes- I would definetely test it out before using it in a race). Any suggestions or thoughts?
My plan for today is to get on the bike this afternoon after work- hopefully outdoors but if it's too late I will suck it up and ride on the trainer. And of course eat all my veggies and fruits
What is everyone else's plans for this wonderful Monday?
Jenny
2009-05-04 8:27 AM

User image

Regular
Morning all!

Good luck with your 5k, Jackie!  I have an aunt who passed away from breast cancer - the third time around, she couldn't fight it off.  It's always an honor to celebrate brave women like her by doing something athletic - that uses our healthy, fully functional bodies : )

I probably should have asked this before - but exactly how many servings of fruits and veggies are we shooting for?  Five?

Did a really long run yesterday - I was pretty proud.  I ran all the way to the beach - there's a beautiful park out there, and I ran around that, and then came back up through Boston to MIT.  My legs only tightened up around the last mile.  Today I'm going to take it easy though, because I'm feeling the after effects.

How's everyone else doing?
2009-05-04 10:31 AM
in reply to: #2127933

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Well done on that run Di.  It sounds like a nice scenic one too.

I think we are aiming for 5 fruits/veg aren't we as that should be manageable for our first week.  Correct me if I am wrong. 
I am up to 2 so far (melon and strawberries)
2009-05-04 2:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
My bike is a Giant OCR also (a 3 I think?).. I love it. I bought it as an end of the year clearance also and got a sweet deal.
Have fun with the new bike!!!
2009-05-04 6:28 PM

User image

Expert
Di-It sounds like you had a great run this weekend! Nice job!

I brought my bike home last night. I think I need a shorter stem, I seem really extended on my reach. I'm going to put it on the trainer tonight and get a feel for it. The pedals have toe cages, which I've never used before.

How many servings of fruits/veggies does a large salad count for? I know 2 cups of the greens I use = 1 serving. So, if I used atleast 3  cups of that, and peppers/cukes/raisins- I"m thinking it  is definately 2 servings. So far today, I'm at 4 servings total.

How's every one else doing with the challenge?

2009-05-04 8:11 PM
in reply to: #2129805

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI
Great work ladies on the veggies and fruits! I am up to three servings today (pineapple, watermelon, and edamame). Does it count if I have veggies in a main dish? I'm making chicken risotto for dinner with mushrooms, green onions, and corn in it. Just wondering.
Heidi- Congrats on the new bike! That is exciting! You'll have to let us know how it rides!
I just got back from a bike ride- it was shorter than I wanted to go, but it was getting dark and I'm not too comfortable riding at night. But it was a good one. I felt stronger than I did last time I went out on this course.
I had the doctor at work check out my knee today- good news is it's not the meniscus like I thought, bad news is it is the start of IT band syndrome (just like I have on the other knee). I am going to start doing some rehab exercises tonight to work on strengthening my hip muscles to help get rid of this stupid problem.
How was everyone else's Monday?
Jenny
2009-05-04 8:59 PM
in reply to: #2129805

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Heidi
3 cups of leafy stuff plus all those other bits definitely sounds like 2servings+ to me. 

Jenny
If you have veggies combined with something else of course they count.  They're still veggies!  Just try and estimate.

I have done my 5.  I eat far more fruits than veg but I did make sure I had a huge salad with my dinner. 

Hope everyone had a good day

2009-05-04 11:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Here is what I had for my fruits/veggies-
1 huge 16 oz glass of orange juice (2 svgs, right?)
1 banana
1 pear
1 cup of salad
1 peach cup
tomato salsa (does this count?)

Looks like 6 or 7 servings. I need to eat more veggies apparently. I am usually pretty good about having a salad, but today was more of a grab what I could on the way out the door kind of day.

Today was meltdown day for both the kids. We put them both in bed at 7:00 pm and I went to the gym to swim a mile. Felt nice to have my head in the water where it was all nice, peaceful, and quiet with no one screaming or throwing themselves on the floor.
Okay, my venting is done.

Nothing on the calendar for tomorrow except for taking the little guy to the park
Dee
2009-05-05 6:09 AM
in reply to: #2130321

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Morning everyone

Well done Dee on an amazing first day of fruit and veggies.  Well over even without the salsa - I don't know the answer to whether that counts or not - anyone?  It surely has to count for something - I vote yes!  The orange juice definitely counts as 2 (just watch the calories in that amount of OJ though if that is something you are concerned about)

Sounds like you really needed that swim last night Dee.    I help coach a local kids swim team and second season has just started so we are getting a few new kids as well as the old ones.  Last night was really hard on my patience for some reason with teaching new kids the "rules" (like please keep your head above the water when waiting at end of pool so you know what we are doing next!  aaararghhh)  so I was completely whacked by the time I got home.  Luckily hubby had cooked dinner and had it waiting which was really nice
2009-05-05 8:13 AM

User image

Regular
Hi!  Ok, I'm a bit late, but I have my five from yesterday:
1.  1/2 c berries
2.  apple
3.  banana
4.  2 large carrots
5.  quite a bit of zucchini, mushrooms, broccoli and onion for dinner - Heidi I made the chick pea curry!  It was really good and easy to make : )

Dee - nice job on topping 5/day!  Hope the kids are easier on you today.

Jen - I'm sorry to hear about your knee!  But it sounds like you really know what you're doing in terms of rehab. 

Besides class, I have a short run planned for today, and hopefully lifting.  Otherwise, I'm spending all my time on a largish final project.... yey.  Have a good one, ladies!

2009-05-05 9:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
How good or bad for you is guacamole?
We LOVE to eat guac in the summer and I usually make it myself-
avocados, green onions, tomatoes, cilantro, some spices.
I have heard that avocados have "good fat" vs. "bad fat", but not sure if that is
true or not.

2009-05-05 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2131000

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Dee, yum, that sounds good

To the best of my knowledge, avocados are high in fat (so one to watch if you are watching calories as good and bad fats both have the same calories!) BUT it is true they do have the "good" fat rather than "bad" fat.  They are packed with monounsaturated fat which is the "good" fat as it can help lower bad cholesterol - they also have other good things in them - loads of vitamins and minerals. 
2009-05-05 10:13 AM
in reply to: #2130680

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Di, well done on those fruit and veggies.  Hope your project work goes well today
2009-05-05 11:55 AM

User image

Regular
Going back to the salsa thing quickly - I don't really know about canned salsa, but if you make you're own, it's great for you.  And it's delicious on eggs, salads... pretty much anything.  It's easy:  throw diced tomatoes, chopped onion, cilantro and some rice vinegar together in a bowl, mix, and let it stew for a while to mix the flavors.  My family usually throws in a jalapeno pepper or two as well - but be careful not to touch your eyes after you chop it! 

And that's my two cents on that one : )
2009-05-05 2:40 PM

User image

MA
Hey all,

sorry i've been missing for the past few days. I graduated and moved this weekend so I have been away from computers and internet. the 12 hr drive back to MA was rather uneventful and unhealthy. But today i went for a run and have been cooking for myself again so back on a healthier track again

Hope everyone is doing well and had a good weekend. Below are my fruits and Veggies for yesterday and so far today

Monday, May 4
2 servings - Orange Juice
1 servings - Bolthouse Farms Berry (all natural fruit juice)
1 servings - roasted potatoes, turnips and carrots
1 servings - salad: spinach, romaine lettuce, cucumbers, peppers, onion, walnuts, celery

Tuesday, May 5
2 servings - Orange Juice
1 servings - salad: spinach, romaine lettuce, cucumbers, peppers, onion, walnuts, celery
1 servings - banana

i plan to have roasted cauliflower tonight and probably another salad

2009-05-05 5:34 PM

User image

Expert
ARRRGGGH!- Right now I'm torn between worry and total frustration! I just got a phone call from my 19 year old that she hurt her ankle. It's "very swollen" and she can't put weight on it. The school health center doesn't have access to an xray machine, and feels that it needs to be xrayed. I don't want her to go to the ER alone, so I'm driving down tonight to pick her up. It's a 3 hour round trip.

Obviously, I'm worried about her, and am thankful that she is close enough that I can go get her. But, I'm frustrated because the plan was to put my new bike on the trainer tonight and get a feel what what adjustments need to be made. I know this can wait one more day, but it also means missing another day of exercise!

I also  know my daughter, and she's a bit of a drama queen, with a pretty low threshhold for pain. So this might be nothing more than a sprain.

Oh, the joys of parenting! I know I sound very selfish right now. Sorry about that. I'm struggling with the fact that since last Friday, I have not been able to make time  for myself. Even with getting up at 5AM every morning

Okay, I'll stop complaining now. I'm waiting for my husband to get home so that I can head out the door.
2009-05-05 10:03 PM
in reply to: #2132515

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI
Heidi-
Yikes! That sucks! Hopefully it's just a sprain and she'll be fine! If you need any tips on how to help it out, let me know, that's what I do at work!
Sounds like everyone is doing great with the veggies and fruits! I had mango, chicken and veggie risotto, celery and carrots; salsa; and blackberries today for my servings. Glad to hear the feedback on the guac- I am a HUGE fan of it as well.
Happy training to everyone! Happy Cinco de Mayo and goodnight!
Jenny
2009-05-06 6:09 AM

User image

Expert
Good morning Ladies!

My daughter is home safely. We rolled into the driveway after 11 last night.  She talked all the way home, which kept me awake. And, reminded me that not all daughters can or want to do that at her age, so I feel pretty lucky.

She has a DR appt at 4:45 today to get her ankle/foot looked at. I don't think anything's broken but it is definately swollen and bruised.

Hopefully, I'll find tome to get on my new bike TODAY!!!
2009-05-06 6:44 AM
in reply to: #2133182

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Good morning ladies

I did my fruit and veg stuff yesterday even though I also ate very badly on top of that (just have those days occasionally).  Actually it was all fruit
apple sauce
mandarin oranges
strawberries
blueberries
orange juice (2 servings over the day)

Hmm - think I need to work on veggies a bit more.  I've already had 2 fruit servings today as well.

Cynthia - I think you are back today - hope you had a wonderful trip

Heidi - so sorry about your daughter.  At least you are getting to spend a bit of time with her.  My 11(nearly 12) yr old son is practicing being a horrid teenager at the moment!  I hope the xray this afternoon shows nothing broken and that you manage to get on your bike.

Well done everyone on eating those fruit and veggies.  Keep that training up too!  The tri season is approaching fast now.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jackjack's group - closed Rss Feed  

of 27