BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2010 Molly's Mentor Group - IS ALL FULL UP (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2010-01-09 8:20 PM
in reply to: #2556063

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Subject: RE: 2010 Molly's Mentor Group - IS ALL FULL UP (CLOSED)
Hey everyone especially those of you in the cold. You are all doing so well so far. For those of you with Spring and/or summer races, take it easy this time of year. You will have plenty of time in about 3-6 weeks to get out there and hopefully it will be slightly warmer for you. Remember to be safe and have fun above everything else. If you're hurt, then your whole season will be gone. No sense in injuring yourself on slippery or snowy roads just to "get in the training." For those of you that can take a vacation and get to warmer weather where you may be able to get in a day or two of training I say go for it. For those who are stuck in the cold, do what you can. There are plenty of workouts available on the internet (yoga, core work, etc.) and even though it's not a run, bike or swim, it's something and it will make you stronger for when you are running, biking and swimming. Keep up the good work everyone!

2010-01-10 8:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
A few words on transitions. I wanted to discuss set up in transition, T1 (swim to bike), T2 (bike to run) and transition takedown after a race. So here it goes (and please keep in mind this not comprehensive, but rather a few tips from someone who has raced all distances, and is only in my opinion - remember you have to do what works for you)...

Setting up your transition is something that you should at least a consider a few days before your race. There are some great lists available on the internet and on BT that have checklists of everything you will need for your race and transition area. So here are there basics: (1) wetsuit, cap and swim goggles for the swim; (2) bike, bike shoes and helmet for the bike; (3) running shoes for the run. Even if you forget everything else at home, you will at least be able to participate in the race so long as you have the aforementioned items. Forget one of those and forget the race - and I speak from experience when for my very 1st race, I forgot my bike shoes, but fortunately my sis had a spare set with her and my husband was able to meet me before the race to get them to me. If you are traveling to your first race, you will at least want to remember to bring these things. The rest you can buy usually at the expo and you can even buy some of the aforementioned items at the expo before the race. Again, speaking from experience and buying a new wetsuit 2 days before IMAZ (not recommended, but I survived it.

Ok so you have at least those things with you, so some other things you may want to consider in no particular order: (1) towel to put your stuff on in transition and a towel to wipe yourself off with (yes, 2 towels); (2) drinks - I recommend 1 bottle in transition, depending on the length of your race at least 1 bottle on the bike and some type of sports drink to sip on just before the race that you throw away; (3) chalk, balloon, and/or tape - nothing helps you find your bike in a sea of 1,000 other bikes like a giant spongebob balloon floating high in the sky (some races prohibit this practice including IM so check your local guides); (4) a bucket with fresh water - for those doing sandy races particularly OWS a bucket to plop your feet into makes putting those bike shoes on much easier (again not all races allow this practice); (5) visor, sunglasses, gloves, etc. - anything else that helps you feel comfortable. I personally dont change clothes at all for anything under an IM, I dont use socks and I dont wear bike gloves. Again, remember you have to do what works for you. Other things to consider for your transition set up include a stapler to staple that annoying flapping number together while on the bike. A race belt for your number (easier than pinning it). Baby powder - some people put it in their shoes and say it helps them slip their shoes on better - I've never tried so I cant weigh in. I also tape a gu or two to my bike so they are easy to grab during the bike portion. If you use a fuel belt or are uncertain of race support for the run, bring it with you. You can always leave it in the car later.

So you get to the race site...a few things to do. Set up your transition area - if you are late to the party DO NOT move bikes to make room without asking. Instead, find another rack. It's rude to just move people stuff without asking, especially since most of the people at the end of the racks got there super early to get those spaces. Pay attention to your swim in/bike out, bike in/run out areas. Are you mounting your bike with your shoes on the bike already? If so, it probably doesn't matter where you are relative but if you are running in bike shoes and mounting your bike at the mount line, I recommend racking as close to the bike out area as possible since running in bike shoes sucks and makes you more prone to falling. Mark your area (see balloon, chalk, etc. discussion above). Set up your stuff and relax. Pay attention to pre-race announcements and focus on having a great time.

I am sure there is more to add here, and if anyone has specific questions, please let me know. I will try to cover T1, T2 and cleanup later in the week. Happy training.  
2010-01-10 8:22 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Thanks for that advice Molly.  Yeah I'm just gonna wait a little longer till the weather is a bit warmer before I tackle the outside.

I did have a chuckle today while I was riding a spin bike at the gym today.  I was in my own world, listening to some good music while riding the bike when I start to hear this noise coming from the person next to me.  This woman was on her bike for only about a minute and all of a sudden she bursts into this super fast cadence, gets off  the bike seat and is doing like these "push ups" off the handle bars.  She does this with such a force that the bike is shaking and making noise.  She looked like she was seriously gonna kill that bike, lol.  Seemed like a dangerous workout.  I usually mind my own business when I'm at the gym, but I have to admit it was hard not to look away. 

Anyone else see people doing unusual exercise "styles"?
2010-01-10 8:33 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Great transition advice.  I really like the balloon idea for locating your bike.  I did a duathlon last summer and I went to the WRONG BIKE! Surprised I wasn't paying attention.  I grabbed the helmet that was on the bike that I thought was mine and realized this helmet is too big.  At first I thougt, "did my husband mess with my helmet straps"?  Then to my horror, I realized that this is not my helmet and this is not my bike.  SOOOO embarrassing!!  Never will I make that mistake again....I hope. 
2010-01-11 9:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Some more info on transition set up. Just a few more things to consider bringing with you to the race start are spare tubes and spare CO2 cartridges just in case. Of course, once you bring them with you, you wont need them Laughing A bike pump - not necessary because usually there will be tons of people with their own, but just in case. You should also bring something to snack on before the race if you plan to get there early - banana, power bar, etc. Nothing too high in fiber or that will upset your stomach, but remember nutrition is very personal so do what works for you. I also recommend sucking down a hammergel, power gel or something like that about 10 minutes before the start, but again, practice this and do what works for you. I also bring an ipod to just relax to before the race. Sometimes everyone standing around and talking about the race can be very intimidating and nerve racking so I try to tune that stuff out with music. 
2010-01-13 8:44 AM

User image

Regular
Toronto
Can I add something about transitions and what to bring? Last summer I raced during a storm and my transition bag was submerged in water by the end of the race. I didn't even think to keep spare clothes in the car. So I'd like to add that if it looks like it might be a rainy day, don't leave your dry change of clothes in your transition bag! Keep a spare change in the car.

2010-01-14 3:44 AM
in reply to: #2611332

Regular
North Wales, UK
Thanks for all the transition tips. 

I joined a masters swimming class this week, I was very nervous because I haven't had a swimming lesson since I was 9. Everyone was very friendly and welcoming, but the poor coach turns out to be an undergraduate in one of my lecture classes and was a bit freaked out. His final exam is today, and then that part of our relationship will be behind us. Such is life in a small university town. I did learn very helpful things, and I will keep going. I am the slowest by far but everyone was very encouraging. 

The masters swim class in 1 hour once or twice a week. This puts me way over my swimming in the 16 week sprint plan. I assume that is okay - but I wonder if I should find a coach to help me make a plan that takes into account masters swimming classes, the fact that I don't want to take a 16 minute run (as my current plan suggests), my biking is still weak, and my commitment to pilates as injury prevention?

What are the thoughts on a coach for a total newbie? 

My good news is the rain is coming tomorrow and the snow will be gone!! I'll miss the blue skies, but will be happy to get the roads back. 

2010-01-15 8:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
If you have the time and money to spend on a coach, I strongly recommend it especially for beginners. Just make sure your coach is USAT certified and that their style fits what you are looking for in a coach. Check out their qualifications and have a clear idea of what your goal are before you start with a coach. Make sure you are both on the same page about what you want to accomplish and that the coach you select is qualified to get you to those goals. In my experience., I have trained off and on with a few different coaches and have learned a tremendous amount from all of them. Unfortunately, my schedule does not allow me to have a consistent training time with a coach so when I get in a workout with them, I try to hang on to as much information as possible. A few workouts with a coach or trainer may be all you need. Just my thoughts
2010-01-15 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2613115

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX

mhoerger - 2010-01-14 3:44 AM Thanks for all the transition tips. 

I joined a masters swimming class this week, I was very nervous because I haven't had a swimming lesson since I was 9. Everyone was very friendly and welcoming, but the poor coach turns out to be an undergraduate in one of my lecture classes and was a bit freaked out. His final exam is today, and then that part of our relationship will be behind us. Such is life in a small university town. I did learn very helpful things, and I will keep going. I am the slowest by far but everyone was very encouraging. 

The masters swim class in 1 hour once or twice a week. This puts me way over my swimming in the 16 week sprint plan. I assume that is okay - but I wonder if I should find a coach to help me make a plan that takes into account masters swimming classes, the fact that I don't want to take a 16 minute run (as my current plan suggests), my biking is still weak, and my commitment to pilates as injury prevention?

What are the thoughts on a coach for a total newbie? 

My good news is the rain is coming tomorrow and the snow will be gone!! I'll miss the blue skies, but will be happy to get the roads back. 

Congrats on joining a masters swimming class!  I've been wanting to do this for some time now, but haven't

2010-01-16 1:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX

Okay -- I officially worked out two days in a row, slacker time is over!  It has been really tough getting motivated to get out of the house recently.  It really helps that the weather is getting nicer around here   Going on my first outside bike ride tomorrow morning with a friend.

2010-01-16 4:54 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Congrats Wes on getting started.  It is hard to stay motivated in these cold winter months.  I've basically been a gym rat the last several weeks.  Just don't have the motivation to layer up and breath in frigid air.  Enjoy your bike ride tomorrow.  Warm weather here we come. Smile

2010-01-17 6:58 AM
in reply to: #2617394

Regular
North Wales, UK
wkirbytri - 2010-01-16 7:11 PM

Okay -- I officially worked out two days in a row, slacker time is over!  It has been really tough getting motivated to get out of the house recently.  It really helps that the weather is getting nicer around here   Going on my first outside bike ride tomorrow morning with a friend.

Way to go with the workouts. Last week was my first serious week - I love to watch my log graphs get taller. I've found having a plan makes a difference, if I have written down that I need a 40 minute bike ride I feel a greater obligation to make sure I get it in. I rode today with clipless pedals and didn't fall off once I am sure I will soon, though. It was a big improvement with regards to my knee and I'm glad I've got them. I still twinge going uphill, but I hope that eases as I get more strength. I'm thinking of putting slicks on my mountain bike and sticking with that for a few more months. Today's ride was the first time I've really enjoyed cycling.

Edited by mhoerger 2010-01-17 6:59 AM
2010-01-17 5:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Great job everyone. Keep up the good work. So after several hundred dollars on swim clinics last year, here's my two cents for T1 transitioning. First, make sure you have your transition area set up so you are comfortable. I usually place my stuff on the ground on a towel. I have done a few races with my shoes already clipped to the bike, but this tends to be race specific and not permitted at every race. (Keeping shoes clipped to your bike, and hoping on the bike and slipping into your shoes requires practice. I don't recommend it for your first race unless you have practiced transitioning like this ALOT). Your transition for T1 should start a few minutes before you are upright on land. Try to formulate a game plan for your transition as you are coming into the last turn buoy. Think about your transition, the order of your items and what you need. Get the plan in your mind so that when you get to transition you aren't just staring at your stuff. Ok you've at least done a mental checklist of what you need for the bike leg, so now you need to get out of the water.My recommendation is to swim as far into the transition as possible. If you stand up too early in the water, you are wasting energy wading through the water. Swim until you can literally clench fists of the bottom, then stand. If you are in open ocean try to catch waves into the shore (again, this requires some practice and I speak from experience of being knocked down several times by waves). So you stand up, and use high knees to get out of the water. A little tip is to pull your goggles/mask up on the top of your head - don't take it all the way off. You need both hands to get out of your wetsuit or speed suit and if your carrying your goggles it is going to make getting out of the wetsuit that much harder. Most races will have you run from the swim exit to the transition area, even if it is just a little bit. Unless your event has wetsuit strippers, you only need to get your wetsuit half way down before entering transition. To take the wetsuit down to your waist, pull the zipper so it's open in the back, then working (I go left to right, but to each their own), I take my right hand and pull the left side of the top of the wetsuit off. Then I repeat the process using my left hand and pull the right side down. I leave it halfway off until I get to my stuff in transition.Ok so now I am standing at my stuff, and I work from the top down to get stuff off. I take my goggles and cap off and put them down. Then I take the wetsuit off in 3 moves. I pull down from the waist three times to get the wetsuit down as far as it will go. Sometimes it will come off but most of the time it get stuck on my ankles. In that case, I will roll it down over one foot and pull it off and then over the other foot and pull it off. I recommend not standing on the wetsuit to pull it off - chances are you will either fall over or it will rip or both. If I still cant get it off I will sit down and pull it off (but this is last resort for me).So now getting into the bike gear, I work my way from the bottom up. I start with shoes (if they aren't clipped to the bike). Shoes first right to left. (if you are using socks, then socks first then shoes). Again, I don't change clothes and will usually go wet without bike gloves, but do what works for you. I will put a race number belt on. Then the helmet - BUCKLE THE CHIN STRAP. Failure to buckle your chin strap is automatic disqualification from USAT events. Then I grab a swig of water/gatorade, grab the bike and go. Make sure you mount your bike at or after the mount line - again this can be a penalty or disqualification if you mount too early. Hope this helps. If anyone else has any questions or other advice please share! Happy training.
2010-01-17 5:28 PM

User image

Toronto
Thank-you for all the information on transitions, kind of scary considering I have yet to get into the pool and I am still searching for a road bike. I have been experiencing some pain on the bottom of my right foot. I have never experienced this before and it hurts most in the morning. I have orthodics and they aren't too old. I bought a new pair of shoes but haven't used them yet. I can't imagine this is from old shoes since I have never experienced this before. Feedback?
2010-01-17 8:10 PM
in reply to: #2618706

User image

Regular
Toronto
striving - 2010-01-17 5:28 PMThank-you for all the information on transitions, kind of scary considering I have yet to get into the pool and I am still searching for a road bike. I have been experiencing some pain on the bottom of my right foot. I have never experienced this before and it hurts most in the morning. I have orthodics and they aren't too old. I bought a new pair of shoes but haven't used them yet. I can't imagine this is from old shoes since I have never experienced this before. Feedback?
Do you think it could be plantar fasciitis? Check out this website http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/plantar-fasciitis/DS00508P.
2010-01-18 7:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
It may be from your shoes. It may also be how you are foot striking. Make sure you are stretching well before and after each run. This may help loosen your muscles into your feet. If it continues to bother you, I recommend seeing a physician just to make sure it isn't something more serious. If you have been putting in extra miles on your shoes, it may be time for a change.

2010-01-20 12:54 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Hey all,

Hope everyone's training is going well.  I gotta swim question for the experienced fish out there.  I would like to learn how to breaststroke.  Problem is, I can't seem to do a frog kick or breaststroke kick.  I watched videos and try try mimick what I'm seeing and I'm just not going anywhere...literally.  My sister has watched me and tried to help me, but to no avail.  She said just worry about the strokes you can do at this time.  I can accept that but I'm very concerned about OWS.  I want to have options when I'm "out there" in the water.  I can float on my back if I need to rest, but I want to see ahead of me.  Sooo, I feel like breaststroke will give me an option to recover a little bit plus see where I'm at in OWS.   My goal is to just be able to swim freestyle non stop and not worry about tiring out.  But you know...I want options if that happens.  Thanks!!

Edited by cggale 2010-01-20 12:55 PM
2010-01-20 2:09 PM
in reply to: #2624394

User image

Toronto
I would totally like to hear responses to this. I am the same way, I seem to do more of a flutter but can't seem to get my legs around like a frog.
2010-01-22 9:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Happy Friday everyone. To answer the question about completing the swim portion of the triathlon, I have a few suggestions, but for those experienced swimmers please chime in here. First, in USAT any forward motion in swimming is acceptable as long as you aren't getting assistance. So you can dog paddle, fly, breast, back or free stroke or even try to bob up and down and as long as you aren't getting assistance in your forward motion you can still finish without being disqualified. Second, there should be adequate support for most events and many will have at least 1 kayak in the water. If you get stuck and need a break just wave your hands over your head and the kayak should approach. Tell them you just need a break to hold on to the side and as long as they don't pull you forward, you're still fine to get a finishing time. Third, the swim is the only part of USAT tris where drafting is legal. If you can, try to get on someone else's feet and swim in their bubbles. This will save you lots of energy and should keep you from tiring too quickly during the swim. Finally, I recommend starting your swim on the slow side. Many people go out of the swim blazing fast, can't catch their breath, panic and then can't finish the race. SLOW DOWN. Swim easy. If you aren't in it to win it, the swim should be the warm up, and this is particularly true if you are stronger in the other disciplines. In sprints, you have to swim fast to win because there isn't enough time/distance to get a strong lead with the other disciplines. If you are in it to win it, you need to be in the top 10 out of the water, or chances are you will never catch up. If you are looking to just finish, don't worry about the swim so much. Enjoy the experience and a chance to be in open water with other people. Don't worry about your time. Just think nice and relaxed and you will do great!

As for the stroke specific breast kick, I'm afraid I'm not much help. I have had to backstroke a couple of times where I went out too hard, but it was only for a few seconds or maybe even a minute. I caught my breath and went back to the freestyle. At the end of the day you can pretty much float in the water and still finish. Just remember to have fun. I hope that helps.  
2010-01-23 3:33 PM

User image

Regular
Toronto
I have a question for more experienced athletes. I'm planning on a half iron in the middle of September. The training program that I'm going to follow doesn't start until the middle of May. In the meantime, should I just repeat the base training period over and over? I feel like I need a pre-training plan training plan...any ideas?
2010-01-23 3:37 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Thanks for the tips on swimming.  I guess I'll just worry about breaststroke kick later.  My first tri is in April, so I think I'll just stick to what I know and just practice practice.  I'm enjoying seeing the improvements in my swim all beit slow, but I feel pretty confident I will finish 400 meters this April.

2010-01-23 8:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Pamela in answer to your question about HIM training, I would say right now, you really don't need a "plan." Just try to keep your base up, enjoy some easy runs, maybe do a 5K or 10K with a friend, some group rides on the bike and masters swim just to keep your base strong. Trust me, you will have plenty of time to focus on the sport during your HIM training. You want to avoid burning out before your training starts and try to peak at race time. If you have too much time in before your training starts you will probably burn out and/or get injured. The longer distances (HIM and IM) require lots of time, and in my experience, take me away from time with my family and especially my kids. Enjoy your time off and have fun. You will be getting those long days in shortly. 
2010-01-25 9:43 PM

User image

Regular

Hey Guys!

Just thought i would drop a line to let you know i haven't fallen off the triathlon planet. I am just bouncing back from school getting started/sick family/wisdom teeth removed/dry socket/starting another job (prn)/blahblahblah.

EVERYbody hits obstacles....EVERYBODY. They are everywhere and inevitable. So my question for you all is how do you work your way around them and when they cannot be avoided how do you bounce back.

Happy Training!

Amanda

2010-01-26 11:51 AM
in reply to: #2634438

User image

Regular
Toronto
blockertri - 2010-01-25 9:43 PM

Hey Guys!

Just thought i would drop a line to let you know i haven't fallen off the triathlon planet. I am just bouncing back from school getting started/sick family/wisdom teeth removed/dry socket/starting another job (prn)/blahblahblah.

EVERYbody hits obstacles....EVERYBODY. They are everywhere and inevitable. So my question for you all is how do you work your way around them and when they cannot be avoided how do you bounce back.

Happy Training!

Amanda

Hi Amanda,

For sure there are times, sometimes even days - especially if I'm injured - where I think "I may never run/bike/swim again." Or even, "I don't want to EVER run/bike/swim again." I have to tell you that I don't have a plan for overcoming these things - unless it's an injury, and then I have my magical chiropractor and his cold laser therapy. I think what happens for me is that one day I wake up and something has been rekindled. I WANT to run or bike or swim. Although, having said that, I really have made myself get out there this winter, and it's been, for the most part, working. I try to remember that I always, always, always feel better after I work out. 

This morning I almost changed out of my bike clothes because I just couldn't face my commute, but then I forced myself out the door (the lure of saving the $6 subway cost so that I could have a really nice coffee!) and it was totally worth it. I felt awesome when I got to work - and I know that I would have beat myself up if I had bailed on that ride. So maybe it's guilt? Maybe it's negative motivation, like, "I'm going to feel bad if I don't do it," rather than, "I'm going to feel good if I DO do it." I'm not sure how long that kind of motivation can propel a person, though.

On the other hand, when you've been off for awhile, it's so hard to just start up again. But I always think, "In two weeks, this will feel normal again." And it usually takes less than two weeks to feel that you're back in the flow...it all starts with one step, or one pedal, or one stroke...good luck!
2010-01-26 6:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
This was a cute article for about triathlon and starting out...how true it is..http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20100125/ARTICLES/100129788/1005?p=2&tc=pg
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2010 Molly's Mentor Group - IS ALL FULL UP (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 13