BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2010-01-19 7:02 PM
in reply to: #2621941

User image

Mammoth Lakes
Subject: RE: Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL
sesh - 2010-01-19 10:22 AM

Awesome about the new coach, Rochelle.  I like that you're in the "get to know" phase.  A pro that spoke to us said the relationship with your coach and them 1)understanding what your goals are and 2)Knowing how to get you there are the most important.  I think it really opened some peoples eyes in that Joe Triathlete shooting to COMPLETE their first IM might not need a seasoned pro as a coach.  A coach who has been there and done that in terms of dealing with families, work, etc. might be the way to go.  Simple time management and steering them in the right direction with training volumes might be what they need.  When Joe Triathlete is starting to get good and want's to get really fast, a new coach who knows more training specifics would be helpful.  Then, probably in your case, when wanting to find their peak, a true professional coach is the way to go.

You are a wise man.  I could not say that any better.  If you don't mind.  I may want to quote you in an article on how to choose a coach later this year.

R

2010-01-19 7:18 PM
in reply to: #2622743

User image

Regular

vickaiser - 2010-01-19 6:19 PM I had my first DNF this weekend.  It was my goal marathon for this year, Houston. I'm still evaluating what happened and I'm anxious to post some thoughts here.  Funny how non-endurance athletes just don't understand.  I know my friends at work are just trying to be nice but whey they say, "Oh, 18 miles is just great.  GREAT job!!! At least you got 18 miles."  Well, that just burns me up.  Like that was my goal, to just start the race and see how far I could get.  Grrrr!!! But I know you guys will understand.

Let me start by telling you a few things about myself.  I'm a former morbidly obese couch potato. I maxed out at 375 before deciding to get my life back.  Long story short, starting in 2005, I started losing weight and exercising, namely running.  I had ankle surgery (not related to running), came back from that and dropped down to 295 before running my first marathon (Houston) in 2007.  The following year, I let a ginormous project at work eat me alive. I stopped running, started stress eating and put on almost ALL the weight I had gained.  I got up to 355 pounds.  So, back in Nov 2009, I began what HAS to be the last journey down the road to health and fitness.  I really believe this is my last chance.  Anyway, I got back to the starting line of the Houston marathon this last Sunday in the best shape of my life, weighing 275 pounds.

Now, the DNF.  Well, again, short story is I was running GREAT, right on my goal pace, and about mile 17 I started cramping a little bit. The lil' bit of cramping turned into a LOT of cramping in my calves, my thighs, my hammys, and my back.  Had I been closer to the finish, I would have gutted it out and been a hero but I decided there that being 8 miles from the finish was too much and I wasn't going to risk injury just for a race.  Live to race another day, right?

As near as I can figure (along with some of my most trusted and knowledgeable coaches and friends) is that my mind was incredibly well-prepared for the time goal that I had and I went out with the intention of DOING it.  But we question whether my training was such that I was just not ready for that.  I really believed I could get that time but I just wasn't ready physically.  If you look at my training log, it's pretty plain to see that my goal was not in line with my training.  Funny thing is I REALLY felt good running at that pace. I really thought with the taper and carb loading that I could do it.  So, I think that's why my legs seized up.  The body just said, THAT'S ENOUGH.

Don't fret for me because I learned so much from this race.  You see, if one term characterizes all my training and all my efforts up to just a week before the race, it's "FEAR". See, I'm BIG. And I'm slow. And the marathon I picked has a 6 hour time limit.  I think I trained this whole season in FEAR that I would not make it, that I would not get a medal, that I would not see all my friends after the race, that I would fail.  Just a week before the race, I started working with a couple folks that my dietitian referred me to who helped me understand the POWERFUL affect the mind can have on the body, even when you're injured. I started seeing these couple of guys because I had a nagging ache in my heel after my longest long run of 23 miles on the weekend of Christmas.  Anyway, they helped me to get POSITIVE.  I hung my head on words like "Fun" and "Challenge" and "Goal" and "Love" instead of "Can I?" and "Cutoff time" and "What if I don't...". I had a complete revelation when it comes to positive thinking.  Several times a day leading up to the race, I would visualize in my head a picture of the finish line and the absolute perfect ending to my race.  I saw it over and over in my head, right down to what the clock said.  I know this sounds like crazy talk but this really works.

Anyway, I never felt better starting a race and was running a perfect race.  I believed the whole way.  When I started to get a little tired, I would not allow a single negative thought to enter my mind. Goal, Challenge, Love, Fun, Finish.  Those were my words.  So, when the cramping came, and it was severe leg cramping, like I couldn't even walk, I was very surprised because at that point, everything I visualized in my head was coming true right under my feet.  I realized real quick after I almost did a face plant trying to stretch the cramp out that I was too far from the finish to gut it out and that I would live to fight another day.  I walked a half mile or so with cramps to the next aid station and called wifey poo to come get me.

So, I hope you can see that even though I DNF'd, it was an incredibly successful race for me.  It was the first long race where my mind was not the limiting factor.  My body was, for whatever reason. Now, the next steps are to get my body to where my mind thinks it should be instead of the other way around.

Vic,

This is a very inspirational story.

Personally I absolutley understand that you are dissappointed. If you weren't, it would mean that you don't care. And you definitly care. A lot. I guess more than most of the runners around you.

On the other hand I have to say as well, that what you have accomplished is amazing and you should and have all the right to be super proud. All the training runs, shedding of weight, etc.

What is important is to not get discouraged, but rather to see, what you can improve the next time. Maybe a different kind of training, checking your nutrition during the run, salt intake, etc.

The journey has just begun.

Take care

YouYou

2010-01-19 7:20 PM

User image

Mammoth Lakes
vickaiser - 2010-01-19 3:19 PM I had my first DNF this weekend.  It was my goal marathon for this year, Houston. I'm still evaluating what happened and I'm anxious to post some thoughts here.  Funny how non-endurance athletes just don't understand.  I know my friends at work are just trying to be nice but whey they say, "Oh, 18 miles is just great.  GREAT job!!! At least you got 18 miles."  Well, that just burns me up.  Like that was my goal, to just start the race and see how far I could get.  Grrrr!!! But I know you guys will understand.

Let me start by telling you a few things about myself.  I'm a former morbidly obese couch potato. I maxed out at 375 before deciding to get my life back.  Long story short, starting in 2005, I started losing weight and exercising, namely running.  I had ankle surgery (not related to running), came back from that and dropped down to 295 before running my first marathon (Houston) in 2007.  The following year, I let a ginormous project at work eat me alive. I stopped running, started stress eating and put on almost ALL the weight I had gained.  I got up to 355 pounds.  So, back in Nov 2009, I began what HAS to be the last journey down the road to health and fitness.  I really believe this is my last chance.  Anyway, I got back to the starting line of the Houston marathon this last Sunday in the best shape of my life, weighing 275 pounds.

Now, the DNF.  Well, again, short story is I was running GREAT, right on my goal pace, and about mile 17 I started cramping a little bit. The lil' bit of cramping turned into a LOT of cramping in my calves, my thighs, my hammys, and my back.  Had I been closer to the finish, I would have gutted it out and been a hero but I decided there that being 8 miles from the finish was too much and I wasn't going to risk injury just for a race.  Live to race another day, right?

As near as I can figure (along with some of my most trusted and knowledgeable coaches and friends) is that my mind was incredibly well-prepared for the time goal that I had and I went out with the intention of DOING it.  But we question whether my training was such that I was just not ready for that.  I really believed I could get that time but I just wasn't ready physically.  If you look at my training log, it's pretty plain to see that my goal was not in line with my training.  Funny thing is I REALLY felt good running at that pace. I really thought with the taper and carb loading that I could do it.  So, I think that's why my legs seized up.  The body just said, THAT'S ENOUGH.

Don't fret for me because I learned so much from this race.  You see, if one term characterizes all my training and all my efforts up to just a week before the race, it's "FEAR". See, I'm BIG. And I'm slow. And the marathon I picked has a 6 hour time limit.  I think I trained this whole season in FEAR that I would not make it, that I would not get a medal, that I would not see all my friends after the race, that I would fail.  Just a week before the race, I started working with a couple folks that my dietitian referred me to who helped me understand the POWERFUL affect the mind can have on the body, even when you're injured. I started seeing these couple of guys because I had a nagging ache in my heel after my longest long run of 23 miles on the weekend of Christmas.  Anyway, they helped me to get POSITIVE.  I hung my head on words like "Fun" and "Challenge" and "Goal" and "Love" instead of "Can I?" and "Cutoff time" and "What if I don't...". I had a complete revelation when it comes to positive thinking.  Several times a day leading up to the race, I would visualize in my head a picture of the finish line and the absolute perfect ending to my race.  I saw it over and over in my head, right down to what the clock said.  I know this sounds like crazy talk but this really works.

Anyway, I never felt better starting a race and was running a perfect race.  I believed the whole way.  When I started to get a little tired, I would not allow a single negative thought to enter my mind. Goal, Challenge, Love, Fun, Finish.  Those were my words.  So, when the cramping came, and it was severe leg cramping, like I couldn't even walk, I was very surprised because at that point, everything I visualized in my head was coming true right under my feet.  I realized real quick after I almost did a face plant trying to stretch the cramp out that I was too far from the finish to gut it out and that I would live to fight another day.  I walked a half mile or so with cramps to the next aid station and called wifey poo to come get me.

So, I hope you can see that even though I DNF'd, it was an incredibly successful race for me.  It was the first long race where my mind was not the limiting factor.  My body was, for whatever reason. Now, the next steps are to get my body to where my mind thinks it should be instead of the other way around.

Vick,
All I want to know is have you chosen your next race? 
You had a great goal and it didn't happen...this time.  Goals are not all about achieving them the first time around, it about working cowards them and trying again if you don't make it the first time.  I will remember your story long after I forget about the person that set a goal low enough that they got the first time with out any strife and heart ache.  And if it makes you feel any better, Deena Kastor was in the best shape of her life when she DNF'd at mile 3 in the Beijing Games. 

This is a fantastic write up.  Have you considered posting it as an article on BeginnerTriathlete.com?

Edited by wyldhair 2010-01-19 7:22 PM
2010-01-19 7:25 PM
in reply to: #2622912

New user

Houston
wyldhair - 2010-01-19 7:20 PM
vickaiser - 2010-01-19 3:19 PM I had my first DNF this weekend.  It was my goal marathon for this year, Houston. I'm still evaluating what happened and I'm anxious to post some thoughts here.  Funny how non-endurance athletes just don't understand.  I know my friends at work are just trying to be nice but whey they say, "Oh, 18 miles is just great.  GREAT job!!! At least you got 18 miles."  Well, that just burns me up.  Like that was my goal, to just start the race and see how far I could get.  Grrrr!!! But I know you guys will understand...

Vick,
You had a great goal and it didn't happen...this time.  Goals are not all about achieving them the first time around, it about working cowards them and trying again if you don't make it the first time.  I will remember your story long after I forget about the person that set a goal low enough that they got the first time with out any strife and heart ache.  And if it makes you feel any better, Deena Kastor was in the best shape of her life when she DNF'd at mile 3 in the Beijing Games. 

This is a fantastic write up.  Have you considered posting it as an article on BeginnerTriathlete.com?

Thanks, Rochelle. How would I go about posting an article.  I'd have to clean it up a bit.  It was really just flow of consciousness stuff.
2010-01-19 7:27 PM
in reply to: #2620512

User image

New user
YouYou - 2010-01-18 6:27 PM

spyguy7540 - 2010-01-17 7:22 PM Great Looking Bike Sesh!

I did my first Duathlon this past year on a Trek Hybrid. Man I felt like a fish out of water. Actually glad to have you all because I picked up a new Bike toward the end of the season and didnt know a ton so I would love to get an opinion on it. I did what research I could looking for a good entry level try bike and I found this one as a Bike shop in New Hampshire. After quite a few days of negotiation we settled on 550.00. Everything is stock with the exception of the aerobars. Its a 2007 but in great shape. 
2007 Felt S32

Aluminum aero frame with a Carbon Fork. Shimano 105 on the front, Ultegra Rears, FSA crank and Ultegra Cassette. It has a basic Shimano Wheel set that I am going to try to upgrade but based on what I have seen on-line 550.00 was a deal. The aerobars were changed out for Profile Carbon bars but aside from that it's stock. Frame size was great and the bike fit seems good. Hopeing I get some life out of it as I am not a wealthy fella. lol What do you guys think?

[img]http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq144/spyguy7540/IMG00161-20100117-1854.jpg[/img]

Hi Andrew,

Great bike - and great deal. It has what you want: steep seat angle, Ultregra rear derailleur, the 105er front derailleur works absolutely fine, too.

I have as well the Shimano 550 on my bike - they are relativley heavy, but sturdy. And one needs sturdy wheels in Montreal, where the streets are 3rd world standard.

Before buying new wheels, try to find some good testa - something which I feel is lacking in US magazines. There is a lot of "I rode them and they feel pretty stiff and fast" talk, but not a lot of numbers.

I am sure that a good cyclist can feel the differences between wheelsets but as nowdays you can easily spend as much money on you wheels as on your biek, it would be great to have some real tests.

I am still reading a German bike magazine where they try to put things into perspective, e.g. by saying if you bike at 40km/h on a 40 k time trail, the wheelset XYZ will save you 23 seconds.

Then, it is up to you to decide if you want to spend 1500 bucks to save 23 seconds.

Havindg said all of that, I have to admit that wheels are just SOOOO sexy :-)))))

Take care

YouYou

Great advice on the wheels YouYou!

I definately have to consider return on investment. Afterall, I havnt even done a race on those wheels andmy average MPH has increased by almost 6 since changing out from the hybrid.

Thanks Man
2010-01-19 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2622865

User image

New user
wyldhair - 2010-01-19 6:52 PM
spyguy7540 - 2010-01-17 4:22 PM Great Looking Bike Sesh!

I did my first Duathlon this past year on a Trek Hybrid. Man I felt like a fish out of water. Actually glad to have you all because I picked up a new Bike toward the end of the season and didnt know a ton so I would love to get an opinion on it. I did what research I could looking for a good entry level try bike and I found this one as a Bike shop in New Hampshire. After quite a few days of negotiation we settled on 550.00. Everything is stock with the exception of the aerobars. Its a 2007 but in great shape. 
2007 Felt S32

Aluminum aero frame with a Carbon Fork. Shimano 105 on the front, Ultegra Rears, FSA crank and Ultegra Cassette. It has a basic Shimano Wheel set that I am going to try to upgrade but based on what I have seen on-line 550.00 was a deal. The aerobars were changed out for Profile Carbon bars but aside from that it's stock. Frame size was great and the bike fit seems good. Hopeing I get some life out of it as I am not a wealthy fella. lol What do you guys think?

[img]http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq144/spyguy7540/IMG00161-20100117-1854.jpg[/img]

I think you got a great deal.  Have you taken it out for a ride yet? 

I got a few rides on it before the snow started falling. What a huge difference. Was a bit scary actually. lol Never gone that fast on a bike before.

2010-01-19 7:43 PM

User image

New user
vickaiser - 2010-01-19 5:19 PM I had my first DNF this weekend.  It was my goal marathon for this year, Houston. I'm still evaluating what happened and I'm anxious to post some thoughts here.  Funny how non-endurance athletes just don't understand.  I know my friends at work are just trying to be nice but whey they say, "Oh, 18 miles is just great.  GREAT job!!! At least you got 18 miles."  Well, that just burns me up.  Like that was my goal, to just start the race and see how far I could get.  Grrrr!!! But I know you guys will understand.

YouYou is right,

Very inspirational man.

I definately see whyyour dissapointed. Sometimes our minds get ahead of ourselves. I know where you are coming from. 14 months ago I was 319 lbs and had never even considered running. Even though the DNF stings a bit,The truth is that the starting line is just as important as the finish sometimes. You stared 26 miles in the face and didn't waiver. You didnt put limits on yourself. And that my friend is how you reach your goals
2010-01-19 7:47 PM
in reply to: #2622912

New user

Houston
vickaiser - 2010-01-19 3:19 PM I had my first DNF this weekend.  It was my goal marathon for this year, Houston. I'm still evaluating what happened and I'm anxious to post some thoughts here.  Funny how non-endurance athletes just don't understand.  I know my friends at work are just trying to be nice but whey they say, "Oh, 18 miles is just great.  GREAT job!!! At least you got 18 miles."  Well, that just burns me up.  Like that was my goal, to just start the race and see how far I could get.  Grrrr!!! But I know you guys will understand.

Vick,

Oh, and I'm seriously thinking about resetting and doing Mardi Gras Feb 28. I'm trying to switch gears and get into my tri training but my coach has modified my training plan to include a marathon reset for Mardi Gras.  It's not as much running as I'd do running only but hey, I'm in "marathon" shape now.  IMHO, I should be able to maintain my running, add some GREAT cross training with the pool and the bike and be in even better shape than now.
2010-01-19 7:52 PM
in reply to: #2622949

New user

Houston
spyguy7540 - 2010-01-19 7:43 PM
vickaiser - 2010-01-19 5:19 PM I had my first DNF this weekend.  It was my goal marathon for this year, Houston. I'm still evaluating what happened and I'm anxious to post some thoughts here.  Funny how non-endurance athletes just don't understand.  I know my friends at work are just trying to be nice but whey they say, "Oh, 18 miles is just great.  GREAT job!!! At least you got 18 miles."  Well, that just burns me up.  Like that was my goal, to just start the race and see how far I could get.  Grrrr!!! But I know you guys will understand.

YouYou is right,

Very inspirational man.

I definately see whyyour dissapointed. Sometimes our minds get ahead of ourselves. I know where you are coming from. 14 months ago I was 319 lbs and had never even considered running. Even though the DNF stings a bit,The truth is that the starting line is just as important as the finish sometimes. You stared 26 miles in the face and didn't waiver. You didnt put limits on yourself. And that my friend is how you reach your goals

Thanks y'all.  Appreciate the encouragement.  I'm WAY ready for the next challenge.
2010-01-19 7:59 PM
in reply to: #2622919

User image

Mammoth Lakes
vickaiser - 2010-01-19 5:25 PM
vickaiser - 2010-01-19 3:19 PM I had my first DNF this weekend.  It was my goal marathon for this year, Houston. I'm still evaluating what happened and I'm anxious to post some thoughts here.  Funny how non-endurance athletes just don't understand.  I know my friends at work are just trying to be nice but whey they say, "Oh, 18 miles is just great.  GREAT job!!! At least you got 18 miles."  Well, that just burns me up.  Like that was my goal, to just start the race and see how far I could get.  Grrrr!!! But I know you guys will understand...

Vick,

Thanks, Rochelle. How would I go about posting an article.  I'd have to clean it up a bit.  It was really just flow of consciousness stuff.

I wish my consciousness flowed as well as your does. It reads great as it is.
Posting an article is simple:

1) Click on the "articles" button on the top banner.
2) It will list a bunch of categories and in the upper right corner of the category box is a "submit an article" link
3) Paste or write your story in the box, fill in the heading and description
4) Upload photos to go with the article.  ( Post a few, it makes for better articles, before and after photos or any race photos you have work too.)
5) Hit submit and Walla, Walla, Schabang... your a published writer.

Simple.
2010-01-19 8:10 PM
in reply to: #2571242

User image

Regular

Hi all,

Do you know BONKTOWN?

http://www.bonktown.com

They often have very good deals. You can install an Add-On, which will display the current deal, in your browser.

Living in Canada, it's a bit less interesting as the shipping charges are rather high. Just bought nevertheless a nice Craft Base layer for half the price:

http://tinyurl.com/yh6edxb

Take care

YouYou

2010-01-19 9:24 PM
in reply to: #2623002

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

YouYou - 2010-01-19 8:10 PM

Hi all,

Do you know BONKTOWN?

They often have very good deals. You can install an Add-On, which will display the current deal, in your browser.

Living in Canada, it's a bit less interesting as the shipping charges are rather high. Just bought nevertheless a nice Craft Base layer for half the price:

Take care

YouYou

I've known it since it was called chainlove   Then chainlove become pretty much an exclusively mountain biking site.  Got my crankset from there, actually.  A few jackets, too.

Lots of good stuff that just finished reading.  I guess I'm on a different schedule than everybody else because it seems like there is a post explosion between the time when I get off work and when I go to bed.

2010-01-19 10:13 PM
in reply to: #2623156

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
sesh - 2010-01-19 9:24 PM

YouYou - 2010-01-19 8:10 PM

Hi all,

Do you know BONKTOWN?

Take care

YouYou

I've known it since it was called chainlove   Then chainlove become pretty much an exclusively mountain biking site.  Got my crankset from there, actually.  A few jackets, too.

Lots of good stuff that just finished reading.  I guess I'm on a different schedule than everybody else because it seems like there is a post explosion between the time when I get off work and when I go to bed.

I'm with you man. I'm just trying to keep up.
2010-01-20 8:28 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

What's the cute and concise way they put it?  DNF>DNS?

You're in a good place.  The hard part isn't the race.  The hard part is getting up everyday to change who you are, change how you look, how you feel, get faster, whatever your personal goals are.  Finish lines don't define who we are.  They are just instantaneous moments that fill our need for something concrete to validate ourselves.  Actually, it's your weight loss, your improved health, your new attitude, and everything else in your life that is better that is the true reward of what you've accomplished.  Finisher's medals only represent what you did on one day, the changes you see in yourself represent what you do every day of your life.  Of course, it sounds like you've already figured all this out.  Like I said, you're in a good place, and now you're ready to keep exploring. 

2010-01-20 8:35 AM
in reply to: #2622956

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

vickaiser - 2010-01-19 7:47 PM

Oh, and I'm seriously thinking about resetting and doing Mardi Gras Feb 28. I'm trying to switch gears and get into my tri training but my coach has modified my training plan to include a marathon reset for Mardi Gras.  It's not as much running as I'd do running only but hey, I'm in "marathon" shape now.  IMHO, I should be able to maintain my running, add some GREAT cross training with the pool and the bike and be in even better shape than now.

That's a fun race.  Well, I guess any race in New Orleans is going to be fun.  I did the marathon there in 2007.  The Red Dress Running Club down there was manning water stop 25.  So, as I was shuffling home, a guy in a red dress gave me two advil and a beer.

Greatest water stop ever.

And for the record... who dat!!

Edited by sesh 2010-01-20 8:46 AM
2010-01-20 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2622881

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

wyldhair - 2010-01-19 7:02 PM
sesh - 2010-01-19 10:22 AM

Awesome about the new coach, Rochelle.  I like that you're in the "get to know" phase.  A pro that spoke to us said the relationship with your coach and them 1)understanding what your goals are and 2)Knowing how to get you there are the most important.  I think it really opened some peoples eyes in that Joe Triathlete shooting to COMPLETE their first IM might not need a seasoned pro as a coach.  A coach who has been there and done that in terms of dealing with families, work, etc. might be the way to go.  Simple time management and steering them in the right direction with training volumes might be what they need.  When Joe Triathlete is starting to get good and want's to get really fast, a new coach who knows more training specifics would be helpful.  Then, probably in your case, when wanting to find their peak, a true professional coach is the way to go.

You are a wise man.  I could not say that any better.  If you don't mind.  I may want to quote you in an article on how to choose a coach later this year.

R

Sure thing, but Justin Daerr is the pro that talked about all this stuff.  Young pro who said, "If you work 9-5, have two kids, and are looking at doing your first Ironman, I would be a terrible coach for you to have."  He gave some great insight and hammered home that how fast a coach is or was is in no way a reflection on how useful they might be to you and your goals.

2010-01-20 9:00 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Ok... so plantar fasciitis.

I deal with it in my left foot.  When it was bad a few years back, the arch of my foot was unbearable to the point of not being able to run at all.  Now, the pain is in my heel.  Doesn't hurt when I run, or maybe I just don't pay attention to it.  However, walking around in every day life, the pain is there.  I'm doing a few things that are starting to keep the pain at a dull annoyance instead of a sharp hindrance.  These things here actually:  LINK

Anybody deal with this?  Got any thing that works?  Maybe I can take this from annoying to not noticeable. 

2010-01-20 9:15 AM
in reply to: #2623756

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
sesh - 2010-01-20 9:00 AM

Ok... so plantar fasciitis.

I deal with it in my left foot.  When it was bad a few years back, the arch of my foot was unbearable to the point of not being able to run at all.  Now, the pain is in my heel.  Doesn't hurt when I run, or maybe I just don't pay attention to it.  However, walking around in every day life, the pain is there.  I'm doing a few things that are starting to keep the pain at a dull annoyance instead of a sharp hindrance.  These things here actually:  LINK

Anybody deal with this?  Got any thing that works?  Maybe I can take this from annoying to not noticeable. 

I have dealt with it before.  My symptoms were almost identical to yours ( I didn't feel it as much while running) The two best things for me were the constant frozen bottle treatment at home and work and anti-inflammatories.  I was able to get it cleared up enough to run a marathon shortly after the pain subsided.  I feel for you, because I know how it hurts. 
2010-01-20 8:58 PM

User image

New user
Evening guys,

Well picked up my very first pair of cycling shoes tonight. Put on the cleats and clipped in for the first time. Boy, what an unusual sensation. I feel like I have to retrain myself not to focus on pushing down and learn how to think small circles. This is going to take some work. lol

Anyway, Just wanted to check in and say hello.

Hope everyone is doing well!

2010-01-21 5:26 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Not even two weeks ago, the windchill here was 11F, and I was doing my best not to freeze to death after a half marathon.  This morning, it's 65F with 95% humidity and I can't stop sweating after a 3 mile run.

Gotta love it.

2010-01-21 8:32 PM
in reply to: #2625723

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
sesh - 2010-01-21 6:26 AM

Not even two weeks ago, the windchill here was 11F, and I was doing my best not to freeze to death after a half marathon.  This morning, it's 65F with 95% humidity and I can't stop sweating after a 3 mile run.

Gotta love it.

Same thing here except tonight when I left work all of a sudden it was back down to 39!  Not the teens or single digits we were seeing recently, but from 60 to 39 in one day was a shock.

You must have miserable summers like we do in Atlanta.  I'm dreading those days for training.  I'd take the cold cold weather over heat and humidity any day.

2010-01-22 8:20 AM
in reply to: #2627873

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

karen26.2 - 2010-01-21 8:32 PM

Gotta love it.

Same thing here except tonight when I left work all of a sudden it was back down to 39!  Not the teens or single digits we were seeing recently, but from 60 to 39 in one day was a shock.

You must have miserable summers like we do in Atlanta.  I'm dreading those days for training.  I'd take the cold cold weather over heat and humidity any day.

Yeah, I keep reminding myself that I'll be longing for days like this when it's mid August.  High 90s and 100% humidity are absolute hell to train in.  A three mile run becomes just as draining as a 10 miler was in December.

It was back in the mid 40s and very dry this morning.  The weather must have heard all my whining and felt sorry for me

2010-01-22 10:03 PM
in reply to: #2628412

User image

New user
sesh - 2010-01-22 8:20 AM

karen26.2 - 2010-01-21 8:32 PM

Gotta love it.

Yeah, I keep reminding myself that I'll be longing for days like this when it's mid August.  High 90s and 100% humidity are absolute hell to train in.  A three mile run becomes just as draining as a 10 miler was in December.

It was back in the mid 40s and very dry this morning.  The weather must have heard all my whining and felt sorry for me

You guys are making me feel better. I spend November-March curseing the fact that I live in Maine with is ridiculous snow and sub zero temps but every august when I am running along the Andrascoggin river in 80 degree weather watching a bald eagle fly low to the water's surface i remember why I love it here. Dammit, is summer here yet?

2010-01-23 7:00 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Wooo!

It's 50F here, no rain in sight.  The first outdoor ride of the year in about an hour away!!!!

2010-01-23 8:18 AM

User image

New user
Awesome weather for a ride sesh! Enjoy it, Even when it warms up here during the winter the roads are still a salty sandy nightmare. The bike will most likley stay on the trainer until April here. I got the the Y this morning to work on some swim drills. In case I havnt mentioned it, I am pretty much at square one in the swimming game. I am a total beginner triathlete, havnt completed one. Duathlons yes....triathlons no. I am that guy who shows up to pick up the race packet for my duathlon and makes a face like I smell sour milk when I see the table to swim caps for the triathletes. lol. Drills went ok I guess, doesnt help that I was swimming at the same time as a Master's swim group and kept getting moved out of my lane to make room for people who could actually swim. lol Lady runnin the masters group asked me if I wanted to participate and I said "As soon as I master this chest down butt up thing I'll join in." Lol. Worked on that and did some side swimming drills. Trying like hell to find my balance in the water. Still cant really get more than 100 yards without a break. It's pityful. But I'm not going to get discouraged, everyone starts somewhere and even those masters guys worked on chest down butt up at some point. Good news is the first two sprint tri's I signed up for this season are pool swims so I can ease myself into it. Anyway, going to try to get to the pool again tommorow for a bit as long as I can get this soreness in my neck under control. Hope you all have a great day. Taking my little guys sledding today so I have some hill climbing ahead of me.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL Rss Feed  

of 17