BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-04-14 9:34 PM
in reply to: #2792913

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Subject: RE: mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED

T???????h?anks Robin
Yes I did beechwood.  I actually thought the bikes were off or some people had adjusted the tension.  I pedalled like mad and only went 5.3 miles in 30 minutes.  I thought that was actually my best sport.  It was well organized ?though.  ??I? ?d?i?d? ?2?.?1? ?m?i?l?e?s? ?o?n? ?t?h?e? ?r?u?n? ?a?n?d? ?1?5? ?l?e?n?g?h?t?s? ?i?n? ?t?h?e? ?p?o?o?l?.?? ??? ?
?????I? ?a?m? ?d?o?i?n?g? ?t?h?e? ??A?k?r?o?n? ??U?n?i?v?e?r?s?i????t??y? ??T?r?i?? ??n????o?n? ??A?p?r?i?l? ?2?5?t?h?.? ? ??i?t? ?w?i?l?l? ?b?e? ?g?o?o?d?.
???

??I really enjoyed it and my wife and? 2 year old were able to come watch.  we are trying to raise a little triathlete.  How did you do?
Tom
By the way great verse.

2010-04-14 9:53 PM
in reply to: #2792924

User image

Expert
C-bus
The bikes were awful!  I did the tri in Dublin and we could adjust the tension to whatever we wanted-they weren't taped down.  I was in some pain after it. Somehow I went 9 miles (in Dublin it was 15.6--that just shows the difference in the two types of bikes!).  I just tried to keep my feet moving as fast as the guy next to me.  I ended up finishing 3rd and was the first female.  Next year there will be more participants - and I probably won't finish like that again.  LTF runs a pretty good event.  They are actually the primary sponsor for the Cleveland tri...  C'mon-I know you want to swim inside the breakwall with me!

(and Apostle Paul- he loved those sports!)
2010-04-15 9:09 AM
in reply to: #2769357

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Morning Team! 

Here is a good article on nutrition from right here on BT!  Answers some pretty common, yet confusinfg questions.
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=118
2010-04-15 9:28 AM
in reply to: #2792789

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Tkimble01 - 2010-04-14 9:22 PM Brian
Thanks for the recommendation on Triathlete Magazine.  I think my weak point is nutrition definitely.  I am in my ninth week and have crashed for some reason.  I have felt that nutrition may be the culprit.  I started training for my first indoor tri February 16th and for 6 weeks did well.  I did the tri March 28th and finished without the involvement of am EMS unit or Emergency room which is what my goal was.  LOL.  Ant trained for two weeks after pretty hard and this week (week 9) i feel like I am totally wiped.  I will be luck to get three training sessions in this week.  Any insight from the group would be helpful.
thanks
Tom

Hey Tom, I still don't have permission to access your logs.  Can you make sure to add me as a friend or change your log permissions.  I'd like to have a peek into what you are doing before I comment! 

Cyclocross bike w/ aerobars is a great way to start.  My 1st tri i had aero bars on a Mountain Bike.  Your position will change fairly significantly though.  You may need to play with your seat position and overall fit.  remember when tweaking your fit, make tiny changes at a time and see how it feels.  The best option is always to get a professional fot, but you might want to save that dough for eventually, maybe upgrading a bike when you are ready.

As for tires, 700x23 will be more "aero" but more ridgid.  You might want to start with the slightly larger tire for comfort.

Haulin A$$ on my mtn bike w/ aero bars!
Pequannock Tri

Edited by mchubri` 2010-04-15 9:33 AM
2010-04-15 11:08 AM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
Dude, Brain, are you 'getting chicked' in that picture? Wink
2010-04-15 12:05 PM
in reply to: #2792955

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
I may do the Cleveland tri with you.  By the way I looked at the posted results for the Beechwood.  The good news is that in the overall results list I was right before you.  the bad news is that is because I was last in my division and you were first in yours.  They had the masters listed then the rest.  LOL

2010-04-15 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2793893

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Brian
I think I made my log public.  I was having trouble figuring out how to make a friends list.  When i go to training log settings and check friends it did not give me a place to list friends so I made it public.  let know if that works.
Thanks
Tom
2010-04-15 12:39 PM
in reply to: #2794100

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
Tkimble01 - 2010-04-15 1:19 PM Brian
I think I made my log public.  I was having trouble figuring out how to make a friends list.  When i go to training log settings and check friends it did not give me a place to list friends so I made it public.  let know if that works.
Thanks
Tom

Tom,

Go to your training log itself.  On the lower LH side, there is an area of Friends.  There is a "+" sign there.  This allows you to add friends.  Type in the username of the people you want to friend and click update or submit.
2010-04-15 12:54 PM
in reply to: #2793893

User image

Expert
NW NJ
n.k - 2010-04-15 12:08 PM Dude, Brain, are you 'getting chicked' in that picture? Wink

Yes Noel, THANK YOU  SOOOOOOO Much for pointing that out!  I caught her on the run and she finished about a second ahead of me.  However, her wave started 1:00 after mine.
2010-04-15 1:15 PM
in reply to: #2794227

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
mchubri` - 2010-04-15 1:54 PM However, her wave started 1:00 after mine.

Don't you mean she started 5 minutes before you?Tongue out
2010-04-16 12:17 AM

Hi guys!

Thanks for all the fish advice, ugh, I hate that they're there but I guess since that's where they live, I've gotta do the adjusting.  Gross creatures tho!  I do want to do that Havaus tri, so I'm going to have to sack up.  Plus I get to look cool in my wetsuit, well the wetsuit I'll buy after I loose some weight and prove I'm sticking with it.

Today, I did my first ever spin class.  It was tough!  All the standing and moving around on the bike was not easy.  I wouldn't mind doing more of them, if the schedule permits.  Do they really help the bike riding or not so much, I should just ride, ride, ride?

Hope everyone's week is going well

Ronda

2010-04-16 7:55 AM
in reply to: #2795471

User image

Expert
C-bus
Swimfreak17 - 2010-04-16 1:17 AM Hi guys!

Today, I did my first ever spin class.  It was tough!  All the standing and moving around on the bike was not easy.  I wouldn't mind doing more of them, if the schedule permits.  Do they really help the bike riding or not so much, I should just ride, ride, ride?

Ronda

Coming from a non-biker, I started doing some spinning classes for practice before my indoor tris (which were in winter and biking outdoors is not an option in Ohio).  I found it was easier for me to get some biking in through a class format.  The instructor did drills and ladders which I would never do on my own.  I guess it boils down to this-It won't hurt you any!  Biking is not my thing and I think the classes are helping me to develop the biking muscles.

On that note, I finally woke up relatively early and put in a 13 mile ride for the first time.  I thought it would be a lot harder than it was.  Now that my bike is fit for me and I have clipless pedals, it wasn't painful!  My wonderful husband took the day off and went with me to gain some confidence on the roads (with cars -yipes!) and was only spooked once or twice... 

Now for wetsuit shopping later today! 

Have a wonderful Friday everyone!
2010-04-16 1:04 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Anyone else in our group racing this weekend? If so, good luck to all! I got a sprint scheduled. Should be awesome weather for the race. I just checked last years results for this race, and unless the competition gets faster, or I blow up, I should have a good shot at top 3 in my age group. Sub 1:30 got top 3 last year. The distances are, 300M pool swim, 15mi bike, and 5k run. I swim a sub 2:00 minute 100m, should average 20mph on the bike, and can probably get the 5k in sub 27 minutes. Gonna push hard on all 3. Key will be my transitions. I tend to be slow in transition. Just need to proctice them more.
2010-04-16 2:07 PM
in reply to: #2796699

User image

Expert
NW NJ
titeloops - 2010-04-16 2:04 PM Anyone else in our group racing this weekend? If so, good luck to all! I got a sprint scheduled. Should be awesome weather for the race. I just checked last years results for this race, and unless the competition gets faster, or I blow up, I should have a good shot at top 3 in my age group. Sub 1:30 got top 3 last year. The distances are, 300M pool swim, 15mi bike, and 5k run. I swim a sub 2:00 minute 100m, should average 20mph on the bike, and can probably get the 5k in sub 27 minutes. Gonna push hard on all 3. Key will be my transitions. I tend to be slow in transition. Just need to proctice them more.

Good Luck Todd, leave it all on the course!  

I think there is a few of us racing this weekend.  Gerardo and Justin, have a tri's scheduled this weekend, and I have my 1/2 marathon on Sunday. 

Is everyone going into their respective races with a race plan? Here is mine:
I am attacking my 1/2 marathon as 2 - 5 milers + a 5K.  I will take the first 2 miles to get warmed up and begin to establish a pace, the next 3 I will focus on rhythm and getting my HR locked into the 155-162 zone.  The 2nd 5 I will pick up the pace, HR to 163-165 and make sure my pacing is on track making adjustments as needed.  I will take my 1st aid station during this segment and hydrate as needed.  The final 5K will be at a higher level pushing through the finish, I anticipate my HR getting into the 170's with the final mile being an all out sprint, or as hard as I can go. I didn't train the last 15 weeks through freezing cold, rain, snow, floods, long treadmill sessions, running hills, intervals, tempo runs, etc. to coast through this race at a comfortable pace.  I am here to compete, accomplish the goal I set out for and leave everything I have on the course! 

Good luck to everyone!  And to everyone else, make sure to get some good work in this weekend and try your best to keep your nutrition in check! 
2010-04-16 2:25 PM
in reply to: #2796873

Veteran
I have a short sprint this sunday along with Stiga.  300 S/ 10mile B/ 5K  my strategy is to have HR under 180 before jumping in the pool, make it through the bike not pass out on the run Laughing

I am thinking I'll do ok for my first tri, a little bit concerned about the run, I have not been able to do much bricks.

I'm shooting for a great time, as having a great time  rather than ending with a great time, but this will set the stage for my first season.  Already looking at wetsuits after your comments.  Unfortunately I will have to postpone my GSO tri in May as I will be travelling for 3 weeks in May and will probably only get some running done and will miss my ows clinic. 

good luck to all racing and training this weekend, may we rock out!!!

keep safe
2010-04-16 2:29 PM

Veteran
can anybody give the highlights on the transition set up??

I saw the the most advanced ones with elastic bands on their shoes and putting the shoes while riding... I am not doing that if I want to finish.  Did not train to run without socks either so won't be doing that.  I'll be laughing if I am the only one sitting down to put socks and shoes on Wink

2010-04-16 2:34 PM
in reply to: #2796930

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Chezz - 2010-04-16 3:29 PM can anybody give the highlights on the transition set up??

I saw the the most advanced ones with elastic bands on their shoes and putting the shoes while riding... I am not doing that if I want to finish.  Did not train to run without socks either so won't be doing that.  I'll be laughing if I am the only one sitting down to put socks and shoes on Wink

There is actually a conversation going on in the main section about Transition set up right now.  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=203775&posts=9&start=1

My advice would be to do what is comfortable
for? you. ???K?e?e?p? ?y?o?u?r? ??s?e?t?u?p?? ?a?s? ?s?i?m?p?l?e? ?a?s? ?p?o?s?s?i?b?l?e?? ?a?n?d? ?b?e? ?c?o?u?r?t?e?o?u?s? ?t?o? ?y?o?u?r? ?n?e?i?g?h?b?o?r?s?.? ???D?e?f? ?d?o?n?'?t? ?d?o? ?t?h?e? ??
?s?h?o?e?s? ?i?n? ?p?e?d?a?l?s? ?i?f? ?y?o?u? ?h?a?v?e?n?'?t? ?p?r?a?c?t?i?c?e?d? ?f?o?r? ?i?t?.? ? ??I? ?d?i?d? ?t?h?a?t? ?l?a?s?t? ?y?e?a?r? ?a?n?d? ?n?e?a?r?l?y? ?s?p?i?l?l?e?d? ?a?n?d? ?c?a?u?s?e?d? ?s?o?m?e? ?c?h?a?o?s? ?b?e?h?i?n?s?d??
??m?e?.? ? ??I? ?p?r?a?c?t?i?c?e?d? ?i?t? ?o?v?e?r? ?a?n?d? ?o?v?e?r? ?f?o?r? ?t?h?e? ?n?e?x?t? ?o?n?e? ?a?n?d? ?s?t?i?l?l? ?s?u?c?k? ??a?t? ?i?t?,? ?i?t? ?i?s? ?t?o?u?g?h??!?
? ? ?
2010-04-16 3:04 PM
in reply to: #2796873

User image

Expert
Raleigh
mchubri` - 2010-04-16 2:07 PM
titeloops - 2010-04-16 2:04 PM Anyone else in our group racing this weekend? If so, good luck to all! I got a sprint scheduled. Should be awesome weather for the race. I just checked last years results for this race, and unless the competition gets faster, or I blow up, I should have a good shot at top 3 in my age group. Sub 1:30 got top 3 last year. The distances are, 300M pool swim, 15mi bike, and 5k run. I swim a sub 2:00 minute 100m, should average 20mph on the bike, and can probably get the 5k in sub 27 minutes. Gonna push hard on all 3. Key will be my transitions. I tend to be slow in transition. Just need to proctice them more.

Good Luck Todd, leave it all on the course!  

I think there is a few of us racing this weekend.  Gerardo and Justin, have a tri's scheduled this weekend, and I have my 1/2 marathon on Sunday. 

Is everyone going into their respective races with a race plan? Here is mine:
I am attacking my 1/2 marathon as 2 - 5 milers + a 5K.  I will take the first 2 miles to get warmed up and begin to establish a pace, the next 3 I will focus on rhythm and getting my HR locked into the 155-162 zone.  The 2nd 5 I will pick up the pace, HR to 163-165 and make sure my pacing is on track making adjustments as needed.  I will take my 1st aid station during this segment and hydrate as needed.  The final 5K will be at a higher level pushing through the finish, I anticipate my HR getting into the 170's with the final mile being an all out sprint, or as hard as I can go. I didn't train the last 15 weeks through freezing cold, rain, snow, floods, long treadmill sessions, running hills, intervals, tempo runs, etc. to coast through this race at a comfortable pace.  I am here to compete, accomplish the goal I set out for and leave everything I have on the course! 

Good luck to everyone!  And to everyone else, make sure to get some good work in this weekend and try your best to keep your nutrition in check! 
Awesome man! Can't wait to read your race report.I also will be adding socks to my wardrobe at T2.My race plan is simple. I'm gonna try and make myself puke. I really am gonna try and PR each leg. Haven't worked out in 3 days so legs should be fresh. REALLY want to finish high in my AG. Good luck to all of u in your races!!
2010-04-16 4:48 PM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
Good luck to everyone who are racing this weekend!  As Brian pointed out, you've been training for this day, so go big and leave it all there!  And have fun!
2010-04-16 7:21 PM
in reply to: #2797283

User image

Expert
C-bus
Good luck and God's speed everybody!  I'll be thinking about you!
2010-04-16 9:36 PM

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
Yep, good luck to everyone who is racing this weekend.  The one piece of advice I will give you is "nothing new on race day".  I learned this one from my mentor group last year.  I didn't follow it, but it's sound advice. 

If you've never done the flying start on the bike, with your shoes already clipped in, your tri is not the place for your first attempt.  If you've never rode or ran w/o socks, don't try that either.  The one I did was use my wetsuit for the first time at my race.  I didn't have time seeing that I rented it Friday night and used it at 7:00 Saturday morning.

Everyone be safe, rock hard and most importantly, have fun.  Sealed

2010-04-16 10:01 PM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
Hey guys, does anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with going to family functions and trying to eat well?  I went to my in-laws tonight (and we'll be there all this weekend) and my mother-in-law loves to feed us.  She always has chips and dip, cookies, and crazy fried food for everyone to eat all weekend.  Tonight we had stuffed mushrooms, pizza, salad, chips and dip, and fresh baked cookies.  And tonight was the so called 'low-key' night.  I tried hard not to over eat, but its hard when everything tastes so damn good.  Also its sorta been expected at my in-laws that I eat everything in sight because I've done so in the past.

Any input would be great.  Thanks guys!
2010-04-17 1:03 AM

Good luck to all our racers this weekend.  Have fun!  I have my first 5k next weekend.  Its a mud run so I don't really know how to plan for it or anythig.  I know I'll finish tho.

So spin class has left me with super sore quads...ouch!  I've been hobbling around like I'm 97 yrs old.  Had kinda thought about a neighborhood bike tonite but maybe never this weekend.  Got in a short, easy swim to clear my head and the cool water felt good on my legs.  Rode the ponay. 

Looking forward to the weekend.  On Sunday I'm going to teach my sis in law some swimmy stuff so she can start swimming regularly at her gym.  Need to do a c25k run/walk day on Saturday, prolly a swim too since Sunday's swim won't really be a lot of yardage.  If my quads ever forgive me, bike on Sunday.

Can't wait to hear about how all your races turn out.

Ronda
2010-04-17 7:20 AM

User image

Kings Mountain, NC
I am racing with chezz this weekend only I am doing a super-sprint version of the race with
200 meter swim, 3 mile bike, and 2 mile run.  My plan is to really hone my transitions before my race in may.  I want to be out of the first transition in under 2:00 minutes and the 2nd in under 1:30.  Only three mile bike will be interesting.  get into aero and then time to dismount!  I would like to average about 11 minute miles on the run.  this is a bit faster than I have been training but not too much I think I can handle it.  I will be doing some transition practice today and getting gear together.  As for transition what I found last year was keep it simple as possible!!!!  Don't have a ton a stuff laying around to get you confused.  I also found placing the items on my bike in the order they would go on after the swim helpful.  For instance shirt on top of helmet already to slip on, glasses in helmet, and then helmet on.  I also use a race belt for the number which was nice and wore it for the bike and just turned it forward for the run portion.  Oh yeah and most important for me especially dont take off running with your bike helmet on.  This is my mantra, helmet off, helmet off, helmet off. 
2010-04-17 8:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio

I did a practice tri today to get ready for the University of Akron sprint triathlon next Sunday.  The swim went well although the bike was a little brutal.  The run was OK although I have a long way to go.  I have realized that trying to do 2 practice tris a week is not reasonable.  One is more than enough.  LOL.  My plan is to do 4 sprints (one down) and then to do the Columbus International Oly in July.  One thing that has helped me tremendously is that I have goals but at the same time I know where I am ability-wise so I set my expectations accordingly.  I have made some great gains on the swim.  I was at 14 minutes for 500 yd.  I am now at less than 10 minutes wich has exceeded my expectations. 

I just had my 700x30 bike tires swaped out for some 700x24 Continentals.  They look great and hopefully will help me out on the bike.  Bike Island has some great aero bars for about $50.  I am waiting for them and will let you guys know how they workout.

Hope Everyone Has A Great Weekend Training
TomSmile

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27