BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2010-04-21 6:27 PM
in reply to: #2808003

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
Subject: RE: jsnowash's training group - FULL!!
jsnowash - 2010-04-21 2:53 PM
StrayDog - 2010-04-20 10:14 PM Expounding on what Fernando is putting down...I had a major Bonk on my run the other day. It was a 10mi run and I only completed 6. I think I fouled on the nutrition part. I did not hydrate well the day before but didn't think it was a big deal. I had water with me but it didn't seem to be enough.  I Recognized my legs as being at Lactate threshold and didn't want to push (the last time i did that it was a 4 day recovery)Any suggestions on hydrating the day before and/ or on the actual run? I am really striving for learing this nutrition thing as I see it is huge in importance for endurance on longer runs and bike. Are there timing tricks for fatigue? Etc...? Ok , so there you have it ...your homework is assigned...now I will go have a tomato/ avocado sandwich and a beer.

Jenny=
No one took us up on the Kona thingy (or they are still thinking about it) looks like it is just you and me.
Jeff - Nutrition and hydration are certainly major factors in our performance in endurance sports. However, I don't think there is really anything special you need to do the day before a planned long run. Just make sure you're drinking enough to be well hydrated (urine is clear or only slightly yellow). My guess is what happened to you the other day was either just a bad day (it happens sometimes), running in heat when you're not acclimated to it yet, or perhaps trying to push your running volume up too quickly. If your logs are correct, it looks like you've done a few 5 mile runs in the past several weeks, but nothing longer than that. Jumping up to a 10 mile run if the longest run you've done is 5 miles is probably not a good plan .... It could be some combination of the above. For nutrition, the generally accepted wisdom is that our bodies store enough glycogen to keep us going for somewhere around 90 minutes (of course it varies by person). When blood glycogen is used up, we need to supply glucose in the form of whatever sports nutrition we choose (drinks, gels, etc.). Caleb - as a nutritionist, if you have anything to add here - please do!! For me personally, on runs longer than 6 miles or so I usually take water. If it's longer than 9 miles I usually take water and gel as my carbohydrate supplement. I like to carry a gel flask. This is the one I have. It can clip onto a hydration belt, race belt, etc. I squeeze one or two gels in there, and add a little water. I find them easier to get down that way, plus I don't need to take a whole packet at once if I don't want to. For longer runs, I'll usually take a drink every 15 or 20 minutes, and start taking in gel at somewhere around the 30 - 45 minute mark, and then every 20 min. to half hour after that. It's somewhat dependent on weather, course, how I'm feeling that day, etc. Everyone's needs are different though, and it's something you kind of need to experiment with to figure out what works best for you.... Biking is different, for me anyway... I find that I'm usually fine with just water on most bike rides up to 2 hours or so... Beyond that, I use a sports drink for carbs & electrolytes.

Yeah that's all fairly good information.  Being properly hydrated before any exercise is really important.  I'm not going to bore everyone with all the details unless you just want to know them.  The recommendation when I was in school was to consume 16 oz of fluid (not beer) 2 hours before exercise.  If it's a warm day, drink an additional 8-16oz 30-60 minutes before exercise.  The rule of thumb on consuming fluid and food while exercising is drink before you're thirsty and eat before you're hungry.  If you wait till you're hungry or thirsty before eating/drinking, you're already in a hole and you won't get out of it unless you dramatically cut back on your intensity.  So, that means drinking every 15-20 mins and typically, taking something to eat for any exercise lasting 60-90 mins. 

I tried to keep it short because I can really ramble on about this stuff if I get going.  If you want to know more of the detail stuff or have another question, just ask.  I'll do my best to answer it.

Caleb

2010-04-21 7:52 PM
in reply to: #2808407

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Lovey - 2010-04-21 5:38 PM

Pain in my butt, literally.

Mine is on the bottom of my butt (right cheek), especially when sitting, and while waliking around at home or work I get pain that radiates from my butt into the upper back part of my leg where my butt and thigh connects. The pain doesn't go all the way down the back of my leg just radiates in that one area, and I have no back pain. When it happens as it did several times today when I was walking in my office, I would stop for a few seconds to let the pain pass. When I am sitting, the area just feels sore.

I looked online and it seems like its piriformis syndrome/pain.

Anyone experience this before?

Lovey

Lovey,

It does sound like piriformis or sciatica.... I've experienced the pain you describe before, but it's usually resolved pretty quickly for me. I hope the same happens for you!

I can't really offer you any specific advice for treating it, though.... You might try posting a question about it in the Triathlon Talk or Injuries & Health Issues forums. Maybe one of the docs or PT's that post on BT can offer you some specific suggestions.

Hope it feels better soon!
2010-04-21 9:37 PM
in reply to: #2773064

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Went for a nice bike today on a nice, flat paved multi-use trail. I felt pretty good that my bike pace was pretty decent considering I haven't done all that much biking over the winter. It IS pollen season here in southeastern PA though.... that combined with a little chill in the air meant that I also got to work on perfecting my snot rocket technique. Good thing there weren't a lot of people out on the trail today!
2010-04-21 10:11 PM

User image

Veteran

Jenny, Fernando, Caleb:
Bitchin info. Thanks for the input. That was really helpful infomation. I think I am seeing a pattern now on Preparation for the runs. I will take better care on the longer ones. I have a couple of books now I will delve into. Also, will check out Born to Run.

Jenny, the input on Barefoot running makes sense as to prevention of injury due to the incresed involvement of All the muscles/ ligaments in and around the ankle, carpometatarsals and etc..That makes complete sense, they will have to get involved in order for the runner to prevent injury,...almost a protective reflex if you will allow that analogy.

Fernando, thanks for the book reference and the glycogen reference..yea I know but physiology was so long ago...ya forget you know.

Caleb, I think you helped me target the somewhat difficult problem of knowing when to drink. I often times will not drink enough at certain points in the run saying "just a little further" and then later I become thirsty. I know what you mean by getting behind on the hydration. There is a definite learning curve on the nutrition/ hydration aspect of training harder.

See, this is why I like this sport. It's technical enough to keep some strategy going if you learned your body well and fun enough to reach goals that a person once thought they could not reach.

2010-04-22 5:57 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
So how's training going for everybody this week? It's been a relatively light week for me with a race coming up this weekend.... I know Lovey's racing this weekend too - anybody else?
2010-04-22 9:51 AM
in reply to: #2809138

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
jsnowash - 2010-04-22 5:57 AM So how's training going for everybody this week? It's been a relatively light week for me with a race coming up this weekend.... I know Lovey's racing this weekend too - anybody else?

Mine's been going good.  Not looking forward to some indoor bike rides/runs because it's supposed to be stormy for the rest of the week.  It's hard to ride inside once you've started riding outdoors, at least it is for me. 

Good luck on the race Jenny, Lovey, anyone else with a race this weekend.

2010-04-22 3:53 PM

User image

Hello everyone,
Had my first open water swim today...IN THE CARIBBEAN! It was a little nerve wracking as I was imagining the creatures from the deep but it was wonderful! Warm, calm ocean, no rip tides. It's a far cry from swimming in the NJ ocean! Also ran this morning -- not as lovely as the swim. Very hot and humid. i have to start earlier tomorrow, before it gets too steamy! Good luck to everyone competing this weekend!
2010-04-22 5:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Training has been sporadic now as I have been declined the friday off before my Cascade run. Oh, well. I will look for another race then.
Goal: Pick a 20 week training plan coinciding with a race by the end of the week.

Fernando/ Jenny: the links were great and I got interested enough in the Native runners that I ordered Born to Run right after.  I am planning a barefoot run just after the snow melts.

-----
Jeff.
2010-04-22 8:33 PM

Veteran
Outside B'more
Very light run tonight..light week because I've been feeling a little under the weather so I'm not pushing it. I've got a run Saturday then Sunday I've got a 44 mile bike ride through some hilly terrain. We're supposed to get rain too, so if it's not raining too hard I'll still do it, but not if it's full on because the roads will be nasty.

Looking forward to trying out my new aquacell bottle!
2010-04-22 8:35 PM

jsnowash - 2010-04-22 6:57 AM So how's training going for everybody this week? It's been a relatively light week for me with a race coming up this weekend.... I know Lovey's racing this weekend too - anybody else?

This week has been good. Swam 3 times which is good for me since I HATE it. I can't run right now due to an injury go on Monday for gait analysis to see why I hurt myself in the first place.
2010-04-22 8:38 PM

SO heres a few questions to everyone
1. How much do you do of each sport per week?

2. what bike are you riding?

2010-04-22 8:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
jsnowash - 2010-04-22 6:57 AM So how's training going for everybody this week? It's been a relatively light week for me with a race coming up this weekend.... I know Lovey's racing this weekend too - anybody else?

Cannot complain. Considering my limited free time this week, I think I'm doing fine.
A little concerned I might have registered for the Broad Street with an inaccurate estimate of our pace (my wife's pace, since  I promised I'll stay with her). I have read that for that length race it is recommended to avg. no more than 80% HR. Based on recent training, that might have us off by a fraction. I would hate to have thousands of people passing us....that's depressing!
It has been my experience (at least in short races) that race adrenaline helps you perform a little better. What do you think Jenny?
Fernando

Edited by guticur 2010-04-22 8:57 PM
2010-04-22 8:57 PM
in reply to: #2811359

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Amhgbh - 2010-04-22 9:38 PM SO heres a few questions to everyone

I kind of maintain a ratio between swim:run:bike or 1:1:2 when I am training balanced. Currently I have cut down on swim and added to run since I have a 10 mile race coming up. I try not to disturb the bike training, since I consider that my weakness.
Regarding equipment you can refer to my prior post (I have a hybrid commuter and a fancy road bike). I have to say I spent some time today researching tri specific bikes.....very tempting...specially after hearing the gang talk about aerobar hydration systems Wink.
Fernando

Edited by guticur 2010-04-22 8:58 PM
2010-04-22 9:36 PM
in reply to: #2811049

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
StrayDog - 2010-04-22 6:00 PM

Training has been sporadic now as I have been declined the friday off before my Cascade run. Oh, well. I will look for another race then.
Goal: Pick a 20 week training plan coinciding with a race by the end of the week.

Fernando/ Jenny: the links were great and I got interested enough in the Native runners that I ordered Born to Run right after.  I am planning a barefoot run just after the snow melts.

-----
Jeff.

Better watch out! Next thing you know, you'll be sportin' a pair of these (ALL the cool kids have 'em!):

(VFF.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
VFF.jpg (7KB - 5 downloads)
2010-04-22 9:40 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Amhgbh - 2010-04-22 9:38 PM

SO heres a few questions to everyone

I've been mainly run focused for a while, so right now I'm generally running 5x per week, and swimming and biking 2x per week if life permits...

I'm in the process now of trying to pull together a training plan for the rest of the season. My running tends to be much better when I keep it at a higher volume and frequency, so I plan to try and maintain running 4-5x per week, and will probably try to swim/bike 2-3x per week. That might be a tough schedule to maintain, though....

For bike, I have a road bike & a tri bike. I ride the roadie on hilly rides and some group rides.

Edited by jsnowash 2010-04-22 10:01 PM
2010-04-22 10:05 PM
in reply to: #2811385

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Fernando-

I wouldn't worry to much about predicting the wrong time for Broad Street - believe me - you won't be the only one! The last time I ran Broad Street (a couple years ago) there wasn't any formal designation for starting position (color coded bibs, official corrals, etc.) They just had some signs with target pace, and you just sort of lined yourself up where you thought you should be.

Are you planning to park at the Sports Complex and take the subway to the start? If so, I HIGHLY SUGGEST getting there EARLY!! That is the most unpleasant and stressful part of the whole Broad Street expperience, IMO... Get ready to feel like a sardine!!!!

2010-04-23 3:36 AM

Katy
Hey everybody!!  It's been aover a week since I've had internet and I felt like I was going crazy!  How did we ever get along without email?! My training has been BAD!!  I have 4 sprints between now and May 29th.  I'm only worried about the bike, but it won't kill me!! Of course, my 10 year old had to suggest that I get attacked by a shark this weekend since it's a salt water swim.  Never thought of that possibility.  Then he tells me not to worry since they pick off the small slow ones and I'm too big and too fast for that!  I think he was trying to be nice.
My boys are really looking forward to the Ironman 70.3 on Sunday, since lots of the big boys will be there, and my oldest thinks Andy Potts is the coolest, since they have declared it a Pro Championship something or another.  My 10 year old is looking forward to annoying his dad with a cowbell, which he is only allowed to use during races!!  He also loves the giant "crap fest" of free goodies!
I'm working tonight and will drive down to Galveston tomorrow morning when I get off work at 7am.  It should be an interesting race, since my training has not been there and it looks like it will be raining and really windy.
I'll give a report on Sunday when we get home!
Good Luck to anyone else racing this weekend!!
Cat
2010-04-23 4:31 AM

I train 3 to 4 times a week, weather and time permitting. I have two bikes, one I use for training and one that I use for road races it is a Cannondale feminine 6
2010-04-23 6:21 AM
in reply to: #2811625

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
catroberts - 2010-04-23 4:36 AM

Hey everybody!!  It's been aover a week since I've had internet and I felt like I was going crazy!  How did we ever get along without email?! My training has been BAD!!  I have 4 sprints between now and May 29th.  I'm only worried about the bike, but it won't kill me!! Of course, my 10 year old had to suggest that I get attacked by a shark this weekend since it's a salt water swim.  Never thought of that possibility.  Then he tells me not to worry since they pick off the small slow ones and I'm too big and too fast for that!  I think he was trying to be nice.
My boys are really looking forward to the Ironman 70.3 on Sunday, since lots of the big boys will be there, and my oldest thinks Andy Potts is the coolest, since they have declared it a Pro Championship something or another.  My 10 year old is looking forward to annoying his dad with a cowbell, which he is only allowed to use during races!!  He also loves the giant "crap fest" of free goodies!
I'm working tonight and will drive down to Galveston tomorrow morning when I get off work at 7am.  It should be an interesting race, since my training has not been there and it looks like it will be raining and really windy.
I'll give a report on Sunday when we get home!
Good Luck to anyone else racing this weekend!!
Cat

Welcome back, Cat! Holy Cow - a whole week without a computer? I don't know how I would survive.... Actually, I would probably get a lot more done, since I think I probably spend WAY too much time on the computer!

GOOD LUCK this weekend!!!! Makes sure you let us know how it goes!!! Is this your first tri?!? I hope the weather holds for you.....
2010-04-23 6:22 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Speaking of bikes..... here's a pic of my baby, 2006 QR Seduza - isn't she purdy???

(IMG_0571-1.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_0571-1.JPG (18KB - 12 downloads)
2010-04-23 6:26 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
ugh - the weather forecast for my race this weekend is NOT pretty. 40's and rainy - blech. I'm supposed to be running it with a friend - her first half marathon. We may end up bagging it if it's pouring rain on Sunday - which would honestly be okay with me. I really don't think I would much enjoy running 13 miles in cold rain.....

2010-04-23 9:16 AM
in reply to: #2811676

Veteran
jsnowash - 2010-04-22 7:26 AM ugh - the weather forecast for my race this weekend is NOT pretty. 40's and rainy - blech. I'm supposed to be running it with a friend - her first half marathon. We may end up bagging it if it's pouring rain on Sunday - which would honestly be okay with me. I really don't think I would much enjoy running 13 miles in cold rain.....

Oh, I am so with you there!  I am a total fair-weather racer, unless I have dropped A LOT on the entry fee.  Here's hoping the rain hold off!

Cat-Welcome Back!  I would have a very hard time without my computer for that long.  Though Jenny is right, I might get more done, once the shakes wore off!

My training is going OK this week.  Haven't been pushing hard though.  I tend to swim 3-4 times a week, bike and run once or twice.  I am hoping that the bike and run will increase now that weather is nicer.  I am not to the point where I want to get up any earlier to get workouts in.  I get up early enough as it is to get the laundry done and kids out the door. 

As for bikes - I love my mountain bike which is a Giant  Boulder of some sort.  It needs a little service, but still serves me well.  My road bike is borrowed - an older Schwinn Prelude.  We are going to the bike shop this week to get fitted and serviced.  I haven't logged many outside miles with the road bike yet.  I'd say that the bike area is where I have the least amount of gear.  I don't really have any biking clothes beyond one pair of shorts.  No special shoes, no special hydration.  Just me, my helmet, my bike and a bottle of spring water. 

2010-04-23 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2811493

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
jsnowash - 2010-04-22 11:05 PM Fernando- I wouldn't worry to much about predicting the wrong time for Broad Street - believe me - you won't be the only one! The last time I ran Broad Street (a couple years ago) there wasn't any formal designation for starting position (color coded bibs, official corrals, etc.) They just had some signs with target pace, and you just sort of lined yourself up where you thought you should be. Are you planning to park at the Sports Complex and take the subway to the start? If so, I HIGHLY SUGGEST getting there EARLY!! That is the most unpleasant and stressful part of the whole Broad Street expperience, IMO... Get ready to feel like a sardine!!!!

I'm actually making a weekend out of it, we are staying at one of the airport hotels. My plan was to take the R1 from the airport, it would drop me really close to the start of the race...I just need to transfer to the Broad Street southbound for one stop. I think these trains should not be as crowded. We have a ride back....after a couple of beers of course!
2010-04-23 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2812096

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
guticur - 2010-04-23 10:41 AM

jsnowash - 2010-04-22 11:05 PM Fernando- I wouldn't worry to much about predicting the wrong time for Broad Street - believe me - you won't be the only one! The last time I ran Broad Street (a couple years ago) there wasn't any formal designation for starting position (color coded bibs, official corrals, etc.) They just had some signs with target pace, and you just sort of lined yourself up where you thought you should be. Are you planning to park at the Sports Complex and take the subway to the start? If so, I HIGHLY SUGGEST getting there EARLY!! That is the most unpleasant and stressful part of the whole Broad Street expperience, IMO... Get ready to feel like a sardine!!!!

I'm actually making a weekend out of it, we are staying at one of the airport hotels. My plan was to take the R1 from the airport, it would drop me really close to the start of the race...I just need to transfer to the Broad Street southbound for one stop. I think these trains should not be as crowded. We have a ride back....after a couple of beers of course!

ah - that makes sense. I was kind of forgetting you're not quite as close to the city as I am!
2010-04-23 10:18 AM

Veteran
I told you all a lie!  So sorry!  My son's bike is  Giant Boulder.  It's the most recent one we bought, so it must have been in my brain.  My mountain bike is a Specialized HardRock.  It's green.  =)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  

of 32