BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-04-25 7:47 AM
in reply to: #2814290

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Subject: RE: Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED

AlanaF - 2010-04-24 7:03 PM I'm all full of questions.  When I swim I kick pretty furiously as any of you who saw my swim video know.
It's a whole lot of wasted energy that doesn't get me very far.  I was thinking of trying to learn a two beat kick.  Do any of you have any experience with this, and will it slow me down significantly, or is the energy savings worth it?

I barely kick when I swim.  I know the 2 beat kick is popular, but haven't done it yet.  Do you do any drills when you swim? It looks like you need to do some balancing drills to get your butt higher so your legs don't sink.  I have the same problem as you do with arm extension and pulling the water.  

2010-04-25 7:48 AM
in reply to: #2814435

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

zachkoe - 2010-04-24 9:22 PM Hi all!
  I am going for my first group run tomorrow, either 33mi or 48mi. I've never gone on a group ride before. Any advice? I don't know any of the courtesy sort of stuff. Its a no drop ride so at least i cannot be left in the dust

Just have fun.  If you feel up to it, take a turn in the front of the pack.  Other than that, if people know it's your first group ride, they should let you know if you need to do anything.  

2010-04-25 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2777751

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
Hey there all BBMG members, new & old. Serenity - hope you had (or are having) a fantastic race today. Hopefully you didn't get too much rain yet. I'm going to head out to the trail for a run before it starts raining here again (hopefully). Just registered for my first Tri of the season - Mossman Sprint in Norwalk, CT. I think the start time kept me from doing it last year - 6:30am (and it's about 1/2 hr away). That means waking up around 4-4:30am to go jump in LI Sound at 6:30. But i like the look of the course. Probably going to do at least one more in addition to the Tues & Thurs nite min-series that I plan on doing a few each of. Enjoy your Sunday !!
2010-04-25 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2814733

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston Beginner - 2010-04-25 7:47 AM

AlanaF - 2010-04-24 7:03 PM I'm all full of questions.  When I swim I kick pretty furiously as any of you who saw my swim video know.
It's a whole lot of wasted energy that doesn't get me very far.  I was thinking of trying to learn a two beat kick.  Do any of you have any experience with this, and will it slow me down significantly, or is the energy savings worth it?

I barely kick when I swim.  I know the 2 beat kick is popular, but haven't done it yet.  Do you do any drills when you swim? It looks like you need to do some balancing drills to get your butt higher so your legs don't sink.  I have the same problem as you do with arm extension and pulling the water.  

Thanks.  I'm now searching youtube for front/back balance drills.  I'm balanced sometimes, and not others which means it needs more work! I think I'll ask my coach to work with me on the two beat kick tomorrow. 
2010-04-25 12:44 PM
in reply to: #2814992

User image

Salem
A couple balance drills:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqeOdpBFATc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=417pD_jfmJw&feature=related
2010-04-25 3:41 PM

User image

Stamping Ground, KY
O.K. Finally here it goes.  Hi to all the newbies to the group and a big fat hello to my old buddies.  I am Melissa a 39 year old married flight nurse from Kentucky with 4 children, 3 goats , and a cat.  I started as a newbie last year with the group and did my first tri (kinda) at the end of January- we didn't get to bike ride due to the snow but it still was neat to see what it is all about.  I was having bad headaches and stop training to strengthen my neck muscles with PT.  I am slowing trying to get back up and going, if that isn't enough I sprained my ankle on Easter weekend (my birthday of all things).  My goals this time is to:
1.  Remain injury free!
2.  Increase my fitness
3.  Run a half/full marathon
4.  compete in some mountain bike races this year.
5.  Do a complete triathlon

We will start with that.  Looking forward to inspiring you all! Take care. 

2010-04-25 3:42 PM
in reply to: #2815025

User image

Extreme Veteran
KidIcarus - 2010-04-25 12:44 PM A couple balance drills:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqeOdpBFATc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=417pD_jfmJw&feature=related

Thanks Nick, good stuff.

I watched one where it alternated the guy talking with a video of what he was teaching.  It was some good info, but each time it came back to him, he had added a prop such as a wig.  I just watched it this morning, and already all I can remember is he was holding a chicken at the end.  I didn't learn a darn thing from him.
2010-04-25 3:44 PM
in reply to: #2815248

User image

Extreme Veteran
skymedx - 2010-04-25 3:41 PM O.K. Finally here it goes.  Hi to all the newbies to the group and a big fat hello to my old buddies.  I am Melissa a 39 year old married flight nurse from Kentucky with 4 children, 3 goats , and a cat.  I started as a newbie last year with the group and did my first tri (kinda) at the end of January- we didn't get to bike ride due to the snow but it still was neat to see what it is all about.  I was having bad headaches and stop training to strengthen my neck muscles with PT.  I am slowing trying to get back up and going, if that isn't enough I sprained my ankle on Easter weekend (my birthday of all things).  My goals this time is to:
1.  Remain injury free!
2.  Increase my fitness

Welcome back again!  Hope all goes well for you.
2010-04-25 4:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CT
skymedx - 2010-04-25 4:41 PM O.K. Finally here it goes.  Hi to all the newbies to the group and a big fat hello to my old buddies.  I am Melissa a 39 year old married flight nurse from Kentucky with 4 children, 3 goats , and a cat.  I started as a newbie last year with the group and did my first tri (kinda) at the end of January- we didn't get to bike ride due to the snow but it still was neat to see what it is all about.  I was having bad headaches and stop training to strengthen my neck muscles with PT.  I am slowing trying to get back up and going, if that isn't enough I sprained my ankle on Easter weekend (my birthday of all things).  My goals this time is to:
1.  Remain injury free!
2.  Increase my fitness

Melissa - Great to hear from you again. Hope all your hard work is progressing you to your goals!
2010-04-25 5:30 PM

User image

Expert
Boston
Hi Everyone,

First....Welcome back Mellisa.   May we ALL stay injury free this season!

Second......Completed my first race of the season...The Rockbuster  Off road Duathlon.  What a fun day!   I had butterflies driving to the race but when I got there...they all disappeared!    The course was a little longer than what I had practiced for but my times were still good.    On the 2nd loop thru the bike course, I was really cooking across the beach, but then I crossed the muddy brook and bank a sharp right and the back tire just went out beneath me.   I got a little scaped up but nothing major.    By the time I had my 2nd run though, my quads were screaming.

When it was all said and done....I had won my age group !    OMG!  How did that happen!  Well lets see if I can do it again for the Season Opener on May 9
2010-04-25 5:33 PM
in reply to: #2815408

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Seren - 2010-04-25 6:30 PM Hi Everyone,

Second......Completed my first race of the season...The Rockbuster  Off road Duathlon.  What a fun day!   I had butterflies driving to the race but when I got there...they all disappeared!    The course was a little longer than what I had practiced for but my times were still good.    On the 2nd loop thru the bike course, I was really cooking across the beach, but then I crossed the muddy brook and bank a sharp right and the back tire just went out beneath me.   I got a little scaped up but nothing major.    By the time I had my 2nd run though, my quads were screaming.

When it was all said and done....I had won my age group !    OMG!  How did that happen!  Well lets see if I can do it again for the Season Opener on May 9

Show off!

That is awesome.  I am sure I can speak for everyone when I say we are really happy for you.

2010-04-25 6:53 PM
in reply to: #2815408

User image

Seren - 2010-04-25 4:30 PM Hi Everyone,

Awesome work!  Good luck on the next one!
2010-04-25 7:01 PM
in reply to: #2815412

New user

Syracuse

Edited by Shioban 2010-04-25 7:12 PM
2010-04-25 7:11 PM

New user

Syracuse
Hi all,

I can now say hello to everyone for the first time. Although, I have had a few responses, I don't believe I have given the bio stuff.
Here goes:
I am 34, 2 children- Daughter 22months and son is 3 1/2
I'm a registered nurse and have been for 10 years.
I am married to my highschool sweetheart of 16 years. We were married 7 years ago.
I live in Liverpool NY which is a northern suburb of Syracuse.
I am a Syracuse Orange, Yankees, Buffalo Bills fan. Let the jeering begin. I do have many friends here that are staunch Yankee haters as are most of you, I'm sure. I'm not a die hard but I do thoroughly enjoy a win! The Bills, well, we all know their history. It's a painful life to be their fan.

So, I decided to sign up for the triathlon as a friend of mine did the Iron Girl last year and one of my patients with metastatic Breast Cancer had begun training and couldn't finish upon her diagnosis. Therefore, I thought I truly needed to do something from their inspiration and I wanted to have a personal goal to fulfill.
I have always played sports. Soccer, Volleyball, Softball. As you can see, they all involve a ball and some sort of "goal" at the end of each sprint, or hit or whatever. So, this whole running, biking and swimming thing is rather foreign to me. I am training as much as I can but get sidelined with life, kids, lack of time, illness from my kids germ factory of a daycare....and sometimes out of pure exhaustion. Enough excuses I say!!!
I do much better when I have to answer for my actions so I thought this was a good way to get help, motivation, inspiration, tips, coaching, friends ( even Sox fans Wink)
I am again with a lovely stomach bug for the last few days so not so much training. My husband is also out of town so less time. Hopefully this week will bring some health and wellness and some good workouts.

I have a transition seminar at the YMCA on Wednesday that I'm hoping to attend.
Thank you for listening to my longwinded story. Can't wait to one day be at the level all of you are at.
Shioban
2010-04-25 7:51 PM

User image

Salem
congrats again seren!!

really awesome job today!!

josh and i are gonna come in 1st and 2nd respectively for our ag at imaz, so we've got a really strong group here...

=P
2010-04-25 8:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
Great job Seren! Congrats on your Age group win!!!

2010-04-25 8:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Maine
I managed to survive my first group ride and farthest distance ride ever. It was a lot of fun, really hilly, and longer than I expected. We did 42miles, I was at the back most of the time, I only saw the front group 2x (at a water stop and when one of them popped a tire). there were a few of us in the back that kept track of eachother. I couldn't believe how tough it was! Though, I learned the importance of eating while doing distance. I was dying when we stopped 33miles in, bought and ate the best snickers bar ever and had a great last 9miles. I'm not sore yet, but I'm sure I will be soon enough. Have a good week!
2010-04-25 8:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
So I was thinking that instead of Josh having to go through everyone's schedules and compile a list of races and then try to keep it up to date, we could easily compile one ourselves, by quoting the previous list and adding our own races in the correct order.  So, if it's OK with our fearless leader, we could do that.  I'll start:

05/15/10 - Alana - 5k
08/05/10 - Alana - Run leg of team triathlon
08/07/10 - Alana - Emmett tri  - Sprint distance
2010-04-26 9:23 AM
in reply to: #2815759

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

AlanaF - 2010-04-25 9:31 PM So I was thinking that instead of Josh having to go through everyone's schedules and compile a list of races and then try to keep it up to date, we could easily compile one ourselves, by quoting the previous list and adding our own races in the correct order.  So, if it's OK with our fearless leader, we could do that.  I'll start:

05/15/10 - Alana - 5k

Great idea.  I just posted a new thread to Ron and Mike regarding a function that would allow us to see all of our friends' races in one place.  In the meantime, we can compile a list a either post it here or set up a spreadsheet on the gmail docs page.

2010-04-26 9:24 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

skymedx - 2010-04-25 4:41 PM O.K. Finally here it goes.  Hi to all the newbies to the group and a big fat hello to my old buddies.  I am Melissa a 39 year old married flight nurse from Kentucky with 4 children, 3 goats , and a cat.  I started as a newbie last year with the group and did my first tri (kinda) at the end of January- we didn't get to bike ride due to the snow but it still was neat to see what it is all about.  I was having bad headaches and stop training to strengthen my neck muscles with PT.  I am slowing trying to get back up and going, if that isn't enough I sprained my ankle on Easter weekend (my birthday of all things).  My goals this time is to:
1.  Remain injury free!
2.  Increase my fitness

Welcome back stranger.  Glad you could join us again.  

2010-04-26 9:24 AM
in reply to: #2815759

User image

Expert
Boston
AlanaF - 2010-04-25 9:31 PM So I was thinking that instead of Josh having to go through everyone's schedules and compile a list of races and then try to keep it up to date, we could easily compile one ourselves, by quoting the previous list and adding our own races in the correct order.  So, if it's OK with our fearless leader, we could do that.  I'll start:

05/15/10 - Alana - 5k

05/09/10 - Seren - Season Opener - sprint
05/15/10 - Alana - 5k
06/12/10 - Seren - Escape the Cape Tri - sprint
07/10/10 - Seren - Black Fly Tri - olympic
08/07/10 - Seren - Top of the Notch Offroad Tir - sprint

2010-04-26 9:35 AM

User image

Salem
I know I'm going to need to fit AT LEAST an OLY and/or HIM prior, but I'm only registered for one atm:

05/09/10 - Seren - Season Opener - sprint
05/15/10 - Alana - 5k
06/12/10 - Seren - Escape the Cape Tri - sprint
07/10/10 - Seren - Black Fly Tri - olympic
08/07/10 - Seren - Top of the Notch Offroad Tir - sprint
10/21/10 - KidIcarus - IMAZ
2010-04-26 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2815735

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

zachkoe - 2010-04-25 9:19 PM I managed to survive my first group ride and farthest distance ride ever. It was a lot of fun, really hilly, and longer than I expected. We did 42miles, I was at the back most of the time, I only saw the front group 2x (at a water stop and when one of them popped a tire). there were a few of us in the back that kept track of eachother. I couldn't believe how tough it was! Though, I learned the importance of eating while doing distance. I was dying when we stopped 33miles in, bought and ate the best snickers bar ever and had a great last 9miles. I'm not sore yet, but I'm sure I will be soon enough. Have a good week!

I stopped once at mile 52 of a 64 mile ride and had a cheeseburger.  It was the best burger I had ever had.  This brings up a good subject about nutrition on long rides.  I was always really bad about not eating on rides, hence why I had to stop for a cheeseburger.  I then started taking gels and Uncrustables.  This works great on long rides, but I find when I am racing, I can eat on the bike.  I need to start experimenting with the energy drinks.  But when in doubt, Snickers always works.  

2010-04-26 9:58 AM
in reply to: #2816543

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Boston Beginner - 2010-04-26 10:23 AM

05/15/10 - Alana - 5k

Great idea.  I just posted a new thread to Ron and Mike regarding a function that would allow us to see all of our friends' races in one place.  In the meantime, we can compile a list a either post it here or set up a spreadsheet on the gmail docs page.

This is why we ask questions outside our group

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=205168&posts=3&start=1

Now this will give you all your friends, but you aren't that lazy you can't pick out BBMG peeps. This will only work if everyone registers

their races on their blogs. If you need help doing this, again, don't bother me, ask Seren or Alana, she's slowly becoming an expert on all

things BT.

2010-04-26 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2816665

User image

Extreme Veteran
Boston Beginner - 2010-04-26 9:58 AM

Boston Beginner - 2010-04-26 10:23 AM

05/15/10 - Alana - 5k

This is why we ask questions outside our group

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=205168&posts=3&start=1

Now this will give you all your friends, but you aren't that lazy you can't pick out BBMG peeps. This will only work if everyone registers

their races on their blogs. If you need help doing this, again, don't bother me, ask Seren or Alana, she's slowly becoming an expert on all

things BT.

Ok, but I guess I'm lazy.  It brings up a list of the races, but then you have to go into each race to see who is doing it.  I still like the idea of having one little short concise list.  But.... I can adapt if no one else wants to do it.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Boston Beginner's Group, Season 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27