Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2010-11-07 6:42 AM
in reply to: #3052877

User image

Kennesaw
Subject: RE: Learn How to Swim Training Group
Hi! 
I did a sprint triathlon on a whim this summer.  I only had 3 weeks to train, so my goal was to survive the swim and not to be last out of the water.  I did survive and beat about 6 other people out of the lake.  I haven't been able to swim since that race on Labor Day, because I am a high school cross country coach.  The season ended yesterday, and I am ready to get myself in shape, lose weight, and become an efficient swimmer.  Right now I always feel like I am about to drown.  I don't know how to breathe and when I start to feel like I am running out of air, I just kick harder (which I know is wrong).  Where should I begin?

2010-11-07 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3196940

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
pesposit - 2010-11-05 9:02 AM just found something helpful during my training that I thought I would share and hopefully will benefit somebody else too. 

Anyway -- I found that doing the drills -- such as the 25s where you count your strokes really helped alot with my breathing issues -- when counting and trying to really do 1 less stroke each 25 I would not think at all about breathing.  I even would use it for 50 and now 100s.  

I wish I could stop losing count on my strokes.  Unfortunately, i get to 7 and my minds goes elsewhere.  In all of the 25m count stroke drills I've only been able to count one lap and ended up with 19 strokes.  Usually I focus on keeping my body long in the water, and on extending my arm as much as possible so I get better rotation.
2010-11-07 10:00 AM

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
Not sure what's going on, but I am struggling again with my breathing in the pool.  I went from being able to do multiple 200m sets without any trouble to barely able to eek out 100m without dying.  Fortunately, I have another swim lesson scheduled next saturday.  Something suddenly went wrong about 2 weeks ago, & I can't figure out what I'm doing that is making swimming a stuggle again.  With that said, I have days where my allergies flare-up.  I think friday afternoon's swim reflected this, and yesterday's run was a slog, too.  My breathing was labored and my HR was higher than normal given the pace.  It was very difficult to feel relaxed during the run.   I feel very frustrated.
2010-11-07 11:49 AM

New user

Huntington west Virginia
I turn 62 on Nov 10th and I want to do my first triathlon this coming year. I belong to the US Masters swim org but there are no local clubs in Huntington Wv. I do have a membership in the local YMCA and have all the gear needed to train, including my bike. I need advice what training program should I get since I've never done this and am a couch potato just starting out.Thank [email protected]
2010-11-08 1:03 PM
in reply to: #3199111

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
merholmgren - 2010-11-07 6:42 AM Hi! 
I did a sprint triathlon on a whim this summer.  I only had 3 weeks to train, so my goal was to survive the swim and not to be last out of the water.  I did survive and beat about 6 other people out of the lake.  I haven't been able to swim since that race on Labor Day, because I am a high school cross country coach.  The season ended yesterday, and I am ready to get myself in shape, lose weight, and become an efficient swimmer.  Right now I always feel like I am about to drown.  I don't know how to breathe and when I start to feel like I am running out of air, I just kick harder (which I know is wrong).  Where should I begin?

You sound like me...I did my first triathlon over 5 years ago on three weeks notice! It was a 300 yard swim, which I prepared for by swimming in my neighborhood pool a few times. I borrowed my neighbor's 20 year old 10 speed bike and got through the race!
Anyway, learning to swim is very, very challenging. The very best thing you can do is to hire a swim coach, even if you only get two or three lessons. If you can't do that, then following a plan like the "Learn To Swim" plan will allow you to very slowly develop strength in the water. Have you been using the plan or are you just trying to learn by going to the pool and swimming? If you haven't looked at it yet, you can find it here.
Learning how to relax in the water takes time so make sure you aren't expecting too much from yourself. Take plenty of rest between lengths, try using a pull bouy to get the feeling of high hips in the water, and try swimming slower. It's tough - no doubt about it.
2010-11-08 1:06 PM
in reply to: #3199265

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
betyoursilver - 2010-11-07 10:00 AM Not sure what's going on, but I am struggling again with my breathing in the pool.  I went from being able to do multiple 200m sets without any trouble to barely able to eek out 100m without dying.  Fortunately, I have another swim lesson scheduled next saturday.  Something suddenly went wrong about 2 weeks ago, & I can't figure out what I'm doing that is making swimming a stuggle again.  With that said, I have days where my allergies flare-up.  I think friday afternoon's swim reflected this, and yesterday's run was a slog, too.  My breathing was labored and my HR was higher than normal given the pace.  It was very difficult to feel relaxed during the run.   I feel very frustrated.

I'm really sorry to hear that! It may also be that as your fitness increases, you are going harder and don't realize it. We all have days when things are harder than they should be. Could be allergies, lack of sleep, time change, stress, diet, or none of the above. Hopefully you will be rewarded soon with the opposite - one of those training days where everything clicks and you feel awesome!

2010-11-08 1:16 PM
in reply to: #3199360

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
radar60 - 2010-11-07 11:49 AM I turn 62 on Nov 10th and I want to do my first triathlon this coming year. I belong to the US Masters swim org but there are no local clubs in Huntington Wv. I do have a membership in the local YMCA and have all the gear needed to train, including my bike. I need advice what training program should I get since I've never done this and am a couch potato just starting out.Thank [email protected]

Welcome to BT! You can view all the free Sprint plan that BT has to offer here.  If you don't have swim, bike, or run experience then I would recommend you start with the "Learn To Swim" program, the "Couch to 5K" program, or the "Beginner Cycling" program. You can find groups for all three of these plans here in this forum (this is the swim group here), and you can find the link to the program details of all of these plans on the first page of their individual threads.
You don't have to do all of these plans at once, or at all. But they may provide a way for you to ease into training over the winter, with the goal of being fit enough in all three sports to do the first week of training in the Sprint plan you have chosen.
2010-11-08 4:19 PM
in reply to: #3201087

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-11-08 11:06 AM
I'm really sorry to hear that! It may also be that as your fitness increases, you are going harder and don't realize it. We all have days when things are harder than they should be. Could be allergies, lack of sleep, time change, stress, diet, or none of the above. Hopefully you will be rewarded soon with the opposite - one of those training days where everything clicks and you feel awesome!

I hope something positive happens soon. What's frustrating is I feel I have the fitness to be completing 400-500m sets.  I ended up taking my doctor's advise and buying some saline solution to flush my sinuses, which has helped a lot, and I'm now back on Claritin.  Hopefully by tomorrow's swim, my lungs will feel bigger than peanuts.
2010-11-14 10:40 AM

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
Yesterday, I had another swim lesson.  It was lesson #7.  Apparently, in the 6 weeks between lesson 6 & 7, my swimming technique turned into a hot mess.   Well, there were some things I continue to do right, but other things not so much.

We spent 30 minutes going over my technique, and drilling in very slow 25m increments.  I have decided that it's probably a good idea to attend at least one lesson every 3-4 weeks so I can receive the regular feedback. 
2010-11-14 11:16 AM
in reply to: #3210174

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
betyoursilver - 2010-11-14 11:40 AM Yesterday, I had another swim lesson.  It was lesson #7.  Apparently, in the 6 weeks between lesson 6 & 7, my swimming technique turned into a hot mess.   Well, there were some things I continue to do right, but other things not so much.

We spent 30 minutes going over my technique, and drilling in very slow 25m increments.  I have decided that it's probably a good idea to attend at least one lesson every 3-4 weeks so I can receive the regular feedback. 
That sounds smart. You would hate to be training bad technique.  Hope you are feeling better too.
2010-11-14 11:18 AM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
I am out of the pool this week and the next 2 after having some surgery.  Wondering how much endurance I will have lost.  I was on week 8 I think.  Any thoughts on how far back to take it when I restart?  I know I should probably just wait and see how I feel once I get in there but of course I am obsessed with having a plan.  It gives me some sense of control even though in reality I have none :P

2010-11-14 8:47 PM

User image

Regular
Hello All,
I'm new to triathlons with swimming being my weakest element. I have ran cross country through high school and college (24 years old just a few years out of college now). Also comfortable on the bike.

I make it to the pool 2-3 times a week which I'm told is good. I struggle with breathing (swallow lots of water) but breath every 3 strokes with my left side being better than my right. I've read the beginner swimming series and plan to implement it either december or january. Any thoughts on drills? the plan really stresses drills and form, something I probably lack. I can do 400-600 yards broken up into 150, 100 or 50 yard segments. Would like to extend this to longer distances and get comfortable in the pool. my first goal is probably a decent time in a sprint tri with either a 400 swim or 800.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
2010-11-15 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3210210

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
KOM - 2010-11-14 11:18 AM I am out of the pool this week and the next 2 after having some surgery.  Wondering how much endurance I will have lost.  I was on week 8 I think.  Any thoughts on how far back to take it when I restart?  I know I should probably just wait and see how I feel once I get in there but of course I am obsessed with having a plan.  It gives me some sense of control even though in reality I have none :P

Maybe go back 2 weeks and see how that feels. I know you like the plan, but you may not know how far back to go until you get in the pool and see how you feel. You may be able to start where you left off!
Hope your recovery is going well!
2010-11-15 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3210704

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
grownassman161 - 2010-11-14 8:47 PM Hello All,
I'm new to triathlons with swimming being my weakest element. I have ran cross country through high school and college (24 years old just a few years out of college now). Also comfortable on the bike.

I make it to the pool 2-3 times a week which I'm told is good. I struggle with breathing (swallow lots of water) but breath every 3 strokes with my left side being better than my right. I've read the beginner swimming series and plan to implement it either december or january. Any thoughts on drills? the plan really stresses drills and form, something I probably lack. I can do 400-600 yards broken up into 150, 100 or 50 yard segments. Would like to extend this to longer distances and get comfortable in the pool. my first goal is probably a decent time in a sprint tri with either a 400 swim or 800.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Hello, and welcome to BT!!
Someone in another thread recommended this web site. You might find it helpful. I would recommend you go to the library or book store and look through some swimming and triathlon books. You will find descriptions and picture of swim drills appropriate for triathletes. You can also find freestyle swimming drills on You Tube.
2010-11-15 12:54 PM

User image

Camden Wyoming, Delaware
I'm here...  Learning to do it all over again.

I started training for Tri's in March '09.  Did a 3 month swim program at the local YMCA, as I couldn't freestyle swim at all.  It was very helpful and I learned a lot, but it didn't transition very well at my first tri when I was in open water.  Needless to say, I didn't do very well on the swim.  Then, 1 week after my Tri, I broke my wrist and was out of commission for the next 3 months, so it was all for nothing and my season was over before it started. 

So, this past March, when the swim program was offered again, I jumped right in.  All was well until 6 weeks in my work schedule changed and I could no longer attend the program, so I was on my own.  I tried my hardest to get in the pool at least once a week up until the tri season started, but without a hard-schedule to adhere to, I didn’t make it as much as I needed to.  And that really came into play in the 3 Tri’s I did this summer.  I’d say that I spent at least ½ of each of the ¼ mile swims on my back.  I wasn’t happy with myself and ended up changing my last 2 events from Tri’s to Du’s just to avoid the water.

And now I’m here… again.  After my last Du in October, I was determined to get my swim together for next year.  And after searching the internet for some sort of guidance, I ended back at BT and this swim program.  And following a slight delay getting started (originally wanted to start on 11/1) I just finished the first week’s workouts and started week 2 today.  It feels good to be back in the water again and I really like the structured workouts.  I’m also looking forward to the longer workouts in the upcoming months, since 800 seems a little short at this point, but I want to do this program from start to finish.  And the shorter swims right now make it much easier to fit in my schedule and will be easier to become “routine” as time goes along.

Thanks,

Terry

2010-11-15 2:23 PM

User image

New user

Miami
Wow.... I have been training since june I did 2 sprints since then.... I have to say that my swimming ahve been the more challeging part of my training... there are days that I feel like no dragging at all but there are others that are the opposite. I have been training with a friend that has done many triathlons, iron man he is kind of my coach. NExt year my A race would be Orlando Half IRON man 15 may.... So I ahve to get my swimming down. LAter I will be posting the type of drils that I do with the help of my friend

2010-11-15 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3211663

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
btlovin - 2010-11-15 1:54 PM I'm here...  Learning to do it all over again.

I started training for Tri's in March '09.  Did a 3 month swim program at the local YMCA, as I couldn't freestyle swim at all.  It was very helpful and I learned a lot, but it didn't transition very well at my first tri when I was in open water.  Needless to say, I didn't do very well on the swim.  Then, 1 week after my Tri, I broke my wrist and was out of commission for the next 3 months, so it was all for nothing and my season was over before it started. 

So, this past March, when the swim program was offered again, I jumped right in.  All was well until 6 weeks in my work schedule changed and I could no longer attend the program, so I was on my own.  I tried my hardest to get in the pool at least once a week up until the tri season started, but without a hard-schedule to adhere to, I didn’t make it as much as I needed to.  And that really came into play in the 3 Tri’s I did this summer.  I’d say that I spent at least ½ of each of the ¼ mile swims on my back.  I wasn’t happy with myself and ended up changing my last 2 events from Tri’s to Du’s just to avoid the water.

And now I’m here… again.  After my last Du in October, I was determined to get my swim together for next year.  And after searching the internet for some sort of guidance, I ended back at BT and this swim program.  And following a slight delay getting started (originally wanted to start on 11/1) I just finished the first week’s workouts and started week 2 today.  It feels good to be back in the water again and I really like the structured workouts.  I’m also looking forward to the longer workouts in the upcoming months, since 800 seems a little short at this point, but I want to do this program from start to finish.  And the shorter swims right now make it much easier to fit in my schedule and will be easier to become “routine” as time goes along.

Thanks,

Terry

Hey Terry-welcome back!  I have been trying to do the swim program from the beginning as well. I made it almost to the end of the second month before needing to take a break for some minor surgery.  You are right that the shorter workouts make it easier to get in.  If you need a little motivation just post here after you do a workout. If you don't do one as planned post that too-then we will hunt you down for a little "motivation"!
2010-11-17 6:18 AM

I will start this training program next week.  I feel like I've FINALLY found something good to lurn good swimming.  I started swimming 4 months ago and only praticing technic and strugling with the distances.

So hope to have a few good comments coming up in the next weeks...

see ya
2010-11-17 12:21 PM
in reply to: #3211663

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
btlovin - 2010-11-15 12:54 PM I'm here...  Learning to do it all over again.

Thanks,

Terry

Hi Terry! Welcome to BT. I love how motivated you are. I can't wait to hear how you are progressing with the swim plan.
2010-11-17 12:24 PM
in reply to: #3214350

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
SlowyBenny - 2010-11-17 6:18 AM I will start this training program next week.  I feel like I've FINALLY found something good to lurn good swimming.  I started swimming 4 months ago and only praticing technic and strugling with the distances.

So hope to have a few good comments coming up in the next weeks...

see ya

Welcome! SO glad you like the program. Make sure to let us know how it's going!
2010-11-18 11:27 AM

User image

So today marks the end of month one of this plan.  I am using this plan in conjunction with the 13 week sprint program.  I am looking forward to uping my distances in the pool.  I have been really working on improving my kicking and not creating so much drag with my legs.  I am 6'5" so I have been known to leg my legs fall when I get tired.  Any suggestions for keeping my legs up and getting a stronger kick? 

Thanks,

Eric
www.roadtohalfironman.blogspot.com

2010-11-18 12:59 PM
in reply to: #3216676

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
rogerses - 2010-11-18 11:27 AM So today marks the end of month one of this plan.  I am using this plan in conjunction with the 13 week sprint program.  I am looking forward to uping my distances in the pool.  I have been really working on improving my kicking and not creating so much drag with my legs.  I am 6'5" so I have been known to leg my legs fall when I get tired.  Any suggestions for keeping my legs up and getting a stronger kick? 

Thanks,

Eric

Congrats on finishing the first month. Do you ever use a pull buoy to feel what it's like to have high hips and legs in the water? Sometimes it also helps to imagine you are swimming downhill so your legs rise. Here is a link to a recent article on BT on sinking hips.
Many people would argue that you don't need a stronger kick, as that tires your legs for the bike and run. A lot of triathletes feel that the main goal of swim training is not just to become faster but to become as efficient as possible, so that you are not at all spent or tired when exiting the water. If you still want to work on kick strength, you may want to do some strength training that focuses on your posterior chain (hamstrings and glutes). Things like deadlifts and dumbell or kettlebell swings can really help your kick in the pool.
2010-11-18 9:29 PM
in reply to: #3216905

User image

Jessica,

I on occasion use the pull buoys, but I always feel sad afterwards.  I go so fast in the water without my legs using the buoys.  You would think my natural flippers would help me out but that doesn't seem to be the case. 

I will take a look at the article, I saw it on one of the message boards but haven't gotten around to reading it yet.  I may just need to actually get someone to videotape and critique my swim stroke.  But it does make me feel good that I am already doing the strength training ideas that you were talking about.  Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks,

Eric
2010-11-21 9:47 AM

User image

Camden Wyoming, Delaware
Finished week 2 yesterday.

Gonna start week 3 tomorrow but am gonna have to modify it a bit as I'm going out of town for the holidays and won't have access to a pool.  Maybe Mon & Tues then finish up day 3 next Sunday.  Then right back into week 4 on Monday the 29th.  Hopefully all of the turkey and stuffing will give me some extra buoyancy to get through those 2 days.  Wink
2010-11-23 6:37 PM

User image

New user

Swimming technique is something I need work on.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Learn How to Swim Training Group Rss Feed  

of 16