BT Development Mentor Program Archives » shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN TO HIPPIES Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2011-01-12 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3294952

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Subject: RE: shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN AGAIN!

Tim, what's your opinion of this test versus a typical LT test such as this one recommended by BT?  Think it's comparable?

This is a tough question.  Unfortunately, there are alot of variables that can interfere with obtaining a true lactate threshold (LT) via time trial testing, such as heat, body temperature, humidity, equipment, caffeine, drugs, altitude, emotion, cadence variations, time of day, dehydration, illness, and on and on.  In my amateur opinion, the only way to get a true reading for your LTHR is thorough blood testing.  Granted, this is not available or cost effective to everyone, so time trials procedures have been established to get individuals close.

With that said, I prefer the following procedure advocated by Joe Friel, which is the same as the one here on BT's website:

Run test protocol:

After a 15 minute warm-up of easy running, finish with a few quick 20 seconds bursts to get your heart rate in the correct training zone.

The 30 minute TT begins.

At 10 minutes into the test, hit the 'Lap' button on your heart rate monitor, to get the average heart rate over the final 20 minutes of the test.

The average for the final 20 minutes is your Lactate Threshold or LT.

The test is suppose to be a steady-state pace that you can hold for a prescribed amount of time.  By starting out faster than the runnner can hold and allowing to reduce pace, the person is going to create an artifically high representation of their LTHR.  The runner that needs to fall back has most likely been producing an anaerobic effort in the beginning and has skewed the average.

Either test you chose, it will not be fun.  In addition, it may take a few attempts to dial in the test.  At least, on the treadmill, you can control you speed, elevation, and cadence easier than on the road.  You want to control as many of the variables stated above to get as close as possible to your true LTHR.

Edited by brick94513 2011-01-12 3:27 PM

2011-01-13 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3257098

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Yeah I agree, I hadn't ever seen one specifically for the treadmill.  I don't think I'd know what speed to set it on and either go too slow or too fast!  I've been a slacker the past few days, we got a new dog Tuesday and he has been taking up most of my time while  I was off work.  Back to the grind today!  Heading out for a run w/ the wife in a few.  What's everyone else got on tap for the day?
2011-01-13 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3297507

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shmeeg - 2011-01-13 12:44 PM

Yeah I agree, I hadn't ever seen one specifically for the treadmill.  I don't think I'd know what speed to set it on and either go too slow or too fast!  I've been a slacker the past few days, we got a new dog Tuesday and he has been taking up most of my time while  I was off work.  Back to the grind today!  Heading out for a run w/ the wife in a few.  What's everyone else got on tap for the day?

congrats on the dog!!

I don't like the test on the treadmill. Dangerous! you can't possibly go too fast on the mill without bad things happening.

Hoping for a swim and a light spin on the trainer tonight.
2011-01-13 8:00 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
I was planning on a long road ride, but the weather put me on the trainer again.
2011-01-13 8:00 PM

User image

New user
Congrats on the dog Jay!
I got in some strength training and a run today, the run wasn't that great though so i may need a rest day.  I swam in the evening last night. It was waaay better than the morning class just me and two other people and one of the other people are training for the same sprint and very helpful. It was pretty encouraging and a lot less intimidating. I think im getting the breathing thing down and it feels pretty awesome Just have to remind myself to relax when im in the pool.

Yay Leslie on the new bike!! hope it works out for you
2011-01-14 7:43 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Jay, have you seen this article?  Brian had it posted in his group.  There is some good information here for the new, open-water swimmer.  Check it out:

http://www.swimsmooth.com/triathlon.html

2011-01-14 8:01 AM
in reply to: #3298999

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2011-01-14 7:43 AM

Jay, have you seen this article?  Brian had it posted in his group.  There is some good information here for the new, open-water swimmer.  Check it out:

http://www.swimsmooth.com/triathlon.html

I can't tell you how much I've learned from that site!! If only someone could tell me how to keep from getting sinus infections I'd be a pretty good swimmer already!!
2011-01-14 8:12 AM
in reply to: #3299038

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

Meulen - 2011-01-14 6:01 AM
I can't tell you how much I've learned from that site!! If only someone could tell me how to keep from getting sinus infections I'd be a pretty good swimmer already!!

Umm... Since you don't have gills, I would suggest to stop inhaling water through your nose! 

I agree, swimsmooth is an excellent site full of good, free information.

2011-01-14 8:25 AM
in reply to: #3299067

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2011-01-14 8:12 AM

Meulen - 2011-01-14 6:01 AM

Umm... Since you don't have gills, I would suggest to stop inhaling water through your nose! 

I agree, swimsmooth is an excellent site full of good, free information.

hahaha!!! I wish it were that simple. I exhale out my nose when I swim so I don't get water up in there. Since my ear drum issue and all the other problems I've been having I think it's time to go back to an allergist. Haven't been since I was a kid. Now that all the sinus cavity bones in the left side of my face have been shattered allergy control is probably a little more of an issue than it used to be.
2011-01-14 10:14 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri

Thanks guys, the dog is pretty great!  He's having some grief over adjusting to a crate at night but should make a nice addition to the family.  If he just gets comfortable with our cats! Tongue out

Ugh, the bilateral breathing answer from swimsmooth.  I hate the fact that I need to learn how to do this.  I know breathing every 3 strokes is my sweet spot, because 2 just feels too early and I'm all exhaled out before 4 but I can't bring myself to work on it yet.  Maybe that will be my focus when I'm done drilling.  It will certainly be one of my biggest accomplishments!

Tim, I'm in for the TdPS ride.  Are we doing the century?  One of my roadie friends from 29P said he would like to meet up also for it. 

Might take the TT bike out for 25 miles or so today; early out from work after a luncheon should leave my afternoon free for a chance to take advantage of the awesome weather we're having!  I just got a Park repair stand Tuesday, but can't seem to get home early enough to clean the road bike in the daylight.  I never posted pics of it in our other thread, maybe I'll snap a couple and post em in here after I give it a bath.

2011-01-14 10:18 AM
in reply to: #3299383

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
shmeeg - 2011-01-14 10:14 AM

Thanks guys, the dog is pretty great!  He's having some grief over adjusting to a crate at night but should make a nice addition to the family.  If he just gets comfortable with our cats! Tongue out

Ugh, the bilateral breathing answer from swimsmooth.  I hate the fact that I need to learn how to do this.  I know breathing every 3 strokes is my sweet spot, because 2 just feels too early and I'm all exhaled out before 4 but I can't bring myself to work on it yet.  Maybe that will be my focus when I'm done drilling.  It will certainly be one of my biggest accomplishments!

Tim, I'm in for the TdPS ride.  Are we doing the century?  One of my roadie friends from 29P said he would like to meet up also for it. 

Might take the TT bike out for 25 miles or so today; early out from work after a luncheon should leave my afternoon free for a chance to take advantage of the awesome weather we're having!  I just got a Park repair stand Tuesday, but can't seem to get home early enough to clean the road bike in the daylight.  I never posted pics of it in our other thread, maybe I'll snap a couple and post em in here after I give it a bath.

can it Jay!!! if I try to clean my bike right now I'd be shooting ice at it out of the hose!!!

2011-01-14 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3299393

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Meulen - 2011-01-14 8:18 AM can it Jay!!! if I try to clean my bike right now I'd be shooting ice at it out of the hose!!!

Baahhaaaahaaaa!!
2011-01-14 3:22 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
definitely gonna need some sunblock today Tongue out

(temp.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
temp.jpg (96KB - 6 downloads)
2011-01-14 3:41 PM

User image

New user
don't rub it in or anything Jay!!!geeesh!Cool

What does everyone have on the agenda for the weekend?

I decided to go ahead and do the 3 mile snowshoe race Saturday.  Pretty nervous, excited about it not sure what to do with myself today. Laughing  The person who got first place last year did it in 26min so it definitely takes more effort than road running and some sites say its equivalent to running twice the distance. My goal is to come in under an hour. I know that sounds incredibley slow but i am still a newbie runner and since its my first race ever don't have anything to base it on.

2011-01-14 3:58 PM
in reply to: #3300309

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
rachel5576 - 2011-01-14 1:41 PM don't rub it in or anything Jay!!!geeesh!Cool

I decided to go ahead and do the 3 mile snowshoe race Saturday. 

I would like to give this a shot someday.  It looks like a lot of fun.  Have a good time out there!  I get to work Saturday and Sunday Yell

Yeah, Jay, I'm planning on doing the century.  I'm probably going to pace pretty slow since I have to do the half marathon with my wife the next day.
2011-01-14 5:59 PM
in reply to: #3294459

User image

Okinawa
Regarding running on a treadmill - I have a question for those of you who are:
I have always done my running outside, but three times now I have run on a treadmill and each time ended up feeling like I have vertigo.  Once I tried watching TV, once focusing on music and once just ran without distractions.  Same problem each time, so I just gave up treadmill.  Have any of you ever experienced this?

2011-01-14 8:32 PM
in reply to: #3300309

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
rachel5576 - 2011-01-14 1:41 PM don't rub it in or anything Jay!!!geeesh!Cool

I decided to go ahead and do the 3 mile snowshoe race Saturday.  Pretty nervous, excited about it not sure what to do with myself today. Laughing  The person who got first place last year did it in 26min so it definitely takes more effort than road running and some sites say its equivalent to running twice the distance. My goal is to come in under an hour. I know that sounds incredibley slow but i am still a newbie runner and since its my first race ever don't have anything to base it on.

Haha, ok, no more temperature pics or jokes guys.  I haven't even thought about the weekend! I will do a run tomorrow, bike Sunday, maybe swim Monday if the pool is open.  I will probably clean out my garage and put some workout crap on here and CL.  I need to get rid of a bunch of gear!

How cool!  I think that would be awesome to do.  Would totally make snow worth it!  I'll put my money on....46:12 finishing time Wink.  Don't sweat finishing time, just go out there and have fun! 
2011-01-14 8:35 PM
in reply to: #3300362

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
brick94513 - 2011-01-14 1:58 PM Yeah, Jay, I'm planning on doing the century.  I'm probably going to pace pretty slow since I have to do the half marathon with my wife the next day.

You're still going through with that foolish notion??  That's mad!  Exactly how slow are we talking?  My friend is pretty fast, I don't expect to see him for very long anyway, but I don't mind crusing an easy pace at all.  I've havent even crossed the 60 mile barrier yet, might do one 80 miler before then if I have time on a Sunday.  I have no idea how to pace for 100 miles.  Need to get me some 400 mile bibs though, fo sho!
2011-01-14 8:38 PM
in reply to: #3300557

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
nikuman - 2011-01-14 3:59 PM Regarding running on a treadmill - I have a question for those of you who are:
I have always done my running outside, but three times now I have run on a treadmill and each time ended up feeling like I have vertigo.  Once I tried watching TV, once focusing on music and once just ran without distractions.  Same problem each time, so I just gave up treadmill.  Have any of you ever experienced this?

Only experienced that in the pool, never on the 'mill.  A quick google search for 'vertigo treadmill' yields quite a few other forum threads where people experience it after getting off, but not while running.  Seen the doc lately for a checkup?
2011-01-14 8:40 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Cleaned up the road bike before I took the tri bike out today, man it was FILTHY!  Loving this Park stand too.

(FELT S1_.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
FELT S1_.jpg (98KB - 5 downloads)
2011-01-14 8:49 PM
in reply to: #3300557

User image

New user
nikuman - 2011-01-14 5:59 PM Regarding running on a treadmill - I have a question for those of you who are:

I run on the treadmill all the time, the only time i have balance/dizziness issues is if im not paying attention and start going slightly off center or when you get done it feels similar to the feeling after roller skating.

2011-01-14 8:54 PM

User image

New user
Thanks Tim for the encouragement. Snowshoeing is fun and a great aerobic workout.  So you are doing a century bike race and then a half marathon the next day?  What an inspiration!

Jay thanks for the encouragement as well! I'll take that time we'll see tomorrow i guess.

Enjoy your weekend everyone!
2011-01-14 9:05 PM
in reply to: #3300730

User image

Okinawa
Sorry, should have clarified...it's only after I finish running nag get off of the treadmill...
2011-01-14 9:14 PM
in reply to: #3300793

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
nikuman - 2011-01-14 7:05 PM Sorry, should have clarified...it's only after I finish running nag get off of the treadmill...

Hm, I've never encountered such a thing.  I'd check w/ a doctor, I have no idea what to tell you.  Are you running indoors because it's rainy or just to change things up?  I remember playing in the ocean off Camp Kinser on Xmas day when I was there years ago.  Trippy!
2011-01-14 10:23 PM
in reply to: #3300726

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
shmeeg - 2011-01-14 6:35 PM

You're still going through with that foolish notion??  That's mad!  Exactly how slow are we talking?  My friend is pretty fast, I don't expect to see him for very long anyway, but I don't mind crusing an easy pace at all.  I've havent even crossed the 60 mile barrier yet, might do one 80 miler before then if I have time on a Sunday.  I have no idea how to pace for 100 miles.  Need to get me some 400 mile bibs though, fo sho!

Hmm... I'll probably go by HR.  My target will mostly be around 140 bpm for the duration, so probably looking at around 17-18 mph.  Sound reasonable for you?

This will be my first century too.  But, I need to get a couple under my belt to meet the quals for Furnance Creek 508 this year.  I'm hoping to get accepted as a two person relay team.  It would be an awesome experience!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN TO HIPPIES Rss Feed  

of 21