BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-01-14 8:37 PM
in reply to: #3298896

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Subject: RE: The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group - CLOSED
Hey Lovey, I do train on the B&A trail, it is awesome to run or bike on.  I will usually take it from the ranger station at Earleigh Heights to Annapolis, for biking.  For a good run I will start there and run north into Brittingham community around Kinder Farm park and back, that is 4.5mi to 5mi run.  I really need to run outside, the dreadmill is like a hamster on a wheel.

2011-01-14 8:59 PM
in reply to: #3300728

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
scott1223 - 2011-01-14 9:37 PM

Hey Lovey, I do train on the B&A trail, it is awesome to run or bike on.  I will usually take it from the ranger station at Earleigh Heights to Annapolis, for biking.  For a good run I will start there and run north into Brittingham community around Kinder Farm park and back, that is 4.5mi to 5mi run.  I really need to run outside, the dreadmill is like a hamster on a wheel.

I run from the ranger station at Earleigh to Annapolis and back to the station for long runs. That's about 14 miles then I go the other way, if I can going longer. Shorter runs, I just turn back at my half way point. I usually go that direction because its where the coffee shop is. I have never biked the trail but I will this spring. For easy biking, I usually ride BWI Trail but its not nearly as flat as B&A.
2011-01-15 10:46 AM
in reply to: #3299134

User image

New York
I have always done two sports back to back(brick) at night w/strength training, due to the time I have available.  I set time goals and stick with them. I will also "flip flop" the order at times, run/bike one time and bike /run others.
I feel I can get more out my workouts in less time this way.
2011-01-15 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3257135

User image

NH
Ah bricks.  Good topic.  I think we've hit most of the points, and I'll add one for you long course people.

Bricks can be a great way to be efficient for when we're time crunched, as Mike said.

A bike/run brick gives you a feel for running after biking, which is kind of a unique feeling.  I think it's important to do at least a few of these before your first tri just for the experience.  I feel like I have flippers on my feet for at least the first half mile, but it's comforting to know the legs come back and you can actually run after biking hard.

If you're doing long course, I highly suggest at least one race prep brick with a full bike, and about an hour run.  This will really help you dial in your nutrition and hydration plan and give you a real feel for bike pace and how it will affect your run.
2011-01-15 12:38 PM
in reply to: #3301432

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
wbayek - 2011-01-15 12:54 PM

Ah bricks.  Good topic.  I think we've hit most of the points, and I'll add one for you long course people.

Bricks can be a great way to be efficient for when we're time crunched, as Mike said.

A bike/run brick gives you a feel for running after biking, which is kind of a unique feeling.  I think it's important to do at least a few of these before your first tri just for the experience.  I feel like I have flippers on my feet for at least the first half mile, but it's comforting to know the legs come back and you can actually run after biking hard.

If you're doing long course, I highly suggest at least one race prep brick with a full bike, and about an hour run.  This will really help you dial in your nutrition and hydration plan and give you a real feel for bike pace and how it will affect your run.

Starting aroung May, my local tri-club does RBRs. RBRs are Run-Bike-Run. Its once a week all thru summer until September, sometimes October.

The RBR is a timed training course where you run the first loop (2.1 miles) of Columbia Gateway Drive. Transition from run to bike. Then bike five loops (10.5 miles). Transition from bike to run. Then finish up with one last run loop (2.1 miles). It is a 14.7 mile duathlon. This is your training, so you can customize the number of loops. For your safety, we will cancel RBRs for rain.
Timed distance: run (2.1 miles), bike (10.5 miles), run (2.1 miles)

I have done it a few times. The loop is fine except one big hill you have to do every loop. the hill kills me every time.
I will be doing it in prep for a duathlon I plan to do 2 weeks before my tri-relay in August.

2011-01-15 4:43 PM
in reply to: #3301485

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Lovey - 2011-01-15 1:38 AM
Starting aroung May, my local tri-club does RBRs. RBRs are Run-Bike-Run. Its once a week all thru summer until September, sometimes October. 

Sounds like a great tri-club. Does anyone else belong to a tri club or know of one in their area? I live in a small town (population 5K) - so not a lot of resources like that for me - but it seems like a great way to find workout partners. I kind of use BT as my tri-club.

Lovey - how did the long run go? I had a long run today as well - but not nearly as long as yours - I thought of you when I finally got to stop. It was 9 degrees when I was going to start the run and I have found that I am less than successful running when the temp drops below 15, so it was all on the treadmill and the track at the Y. I'm sure some of the people at the Y thought I was nutz. Heck, I thought I was nutz.

2011-01-15 11:58 PM
in reply to: #3301832

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
itsallrelative_Maine - 2011-01-15 5:43 PM

Lovey - 2011-01-15 1:38 AM

Sounds like a great tri-club. Does anyone else belong to a tri club or know of one in their area? I live in a small town (population 5K) - so not a lot of resources like that for me - but it seems like a great way to find workout partners. I kind of use BT as my tri-club.

Lovey - how did the long run go? I had a long run today as well - but not nearly as long as yours - I thought of you when I finally got to stop. It was 9 degrees when I was going to start the run and I have found that I am less than successful running when the temp drops below 15, so it was all on the treadmill and the track at the Y. I'm sure some of the people at the Y thought I was nutz. Heck, I thought I was nutz.

Tri-Club: my club will start their mentoring program for spring in a few weeks. They are not coaches but many will train with you. 2008, I trained alone, 2009 I chose a mentor who was a biker primarily. She was so patient riding with me and she even rode with my hubby!. She gave me the confidence to ride the course. After a DNF for the swim course in 2009, for 2010 I chose a mentor who was primarily a swimmer. She gave me a lot of tips and took me to the beach to do open water swims. She did the official pratice open water swim with me and stayed by my side. She came to the race a 5am and walked me all the way to the water edge. She yelled for me on the bike and yelled at people around her to scream for me. She rocked.

If there is one near you, check it out for sure.

Long Run: We started at 4:30am after only 4 hours of sleep. Bad, bad. The soreness in my right hip was there but loosen up the first couple miles. I stopped every few miles and stretched it and by mile 7 it was gone. Then around mile 8 or 9 my right calf started tightening up. I had to stop a fe times to stretch it out. It finally loosened all together around mile 13. Afterwards, I didn't tired just sore but much better after a scolding hot shower, banana, made from scratch hoecakes (southern pancakes) and cheesy eggs.
2011-01-16 8:27 AM

User image

Morristown, NJ
I got to the gym this morning and planned on doing 40 minutes run/walk on the treadmill.  I was alternating 3 minutes of running with 2 minutes of walking to break up the 40 minutes into 5 minute blocks which made the time go by.  During the 25-30 minute block my right ankle became sore and I was having a hard time running.  By the time I reached minute 33 I could not run anymore, but walked the last 7 minutes.  Happy I got it out of the way!
2011-01-16 12:19 PM
in reply to: #3302451

User image

NH
Good job Susan, you're on the board for the challenge!

I did a bike workout this morning and it felt great to be doing something after a few off days.  How are we going to track the mileages/yardages for this?

2011-01-16 12:25 PM

User image

NH
I'll put up the food timing information Jennifer was talking about later, and I'll start thinking about how to add something useful periodically while trying to keep it in an order which makes sense.  I'll start with a few tips I pass on to people who are really struggling to get/stay on path.  One disclaimer, I am not a professional and didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn in the past year.

First, my overall philosophy is don't worry so much about weight loss as you do about body composition.  They often go hand in hand, meaning as you improve body composition you lose weight.  When I originally got off the couch a few years ago and improved my body composition dramatically, I lost 40 pounds mainly because I was loaded with body fat.  But at some point the weight change due to fat loss started to be offset by gaining muscle, so the overall weight loss slowed/stopped.  Just focus on how you feel and how you look to yourself.  And remember, remember, remember - your value as a person has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with your weight.  Surround yourself with supportive people who value you just because you are you.

Do not think of whatever eating changes you are adopting as going on a diet.  Think of making a lifestyle change.  As such, don't go drastic, except perhaps at the beginning (to break habits) or when you've hit a plateau for a period of time (to get motivation and results back).  If you can't repeat whatever you choose to do, you will always return to your former weight/body composition. 

A quick change you can make with some reasonable results is better your food grades.  Think of whatever you are eating as a grade like in school (A-F).  Try to improve your grades, even if you're not going to make honor role right now.  For instance, white bread = D.  Try eating whole grain bread instead, at least some of the time, for maybe a B-.  Not perfect, but much better than a D.

2011-01-16 12:41 PM

I took my first spinning class  this morning.  It was really fun I think I perfer it to trying to the cycling alone.  I did 30 minutes in the pool working on some of the techiques that I was taught it in swimming class last week.  Found a second hand bike trailer for the kiddies longing forward to spring to be able to take that out. 

Does anyone else like the spinning class vs the bike trainer or just spinning by themselves  in the gym? 

Haven't done as much running finding that my knee is acting up a lot when I try but  think I will do a walk run combo before swimming lesson tomorrow night.

Thanks for the food tips.  Can always use food advice.

2011-01-16 2:35 PM
in reply to: #3299134

User image

St. Clair Shores, MI
For bricks, I found the bike to run brick most beneficial.  It takes awhile to get your "running legs" back after jumping off the bike.  Just start out with an easy jog so your body can adjust to the change.

2011-01-16 2:37 PM
in reply to: #3302772

User image

St. Clair Shores, MI
I have always found that the spinning class is much more motivating and also highly aerobic!
2011-01-16 2:39 PM
in reply to: #3302772

User image

Nevada
I LOVE spinning classes. You have to have the right instructors tho..I haven't found a good class since moving to Vegas, but you can read a fun blog entry about why I like spinning on this link.

http://www.never2old2tri.com/Never2old2tri/One_Womans_Journey_to_Health_Fitness_and_Triathlons/Entries/2010/11/16_My_Addiction.html

Warren, I haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn recently either, Tongue out but I do agree with you. I found the same thing when I started changing my food and exercise. After losing an initial 50 pounds, the weight loss stopped as I gained muscle. I did notice that my clothing sizes continued to decrease for awhile. I'd like to lose another 10-15 pounds before my March event but I think that's probably counterproductive at this point and the triathlon is more important than the weight loss.

I have also found you can't think of it as a diet. It's just how I eat now. My first step was to eat a quality breakfast everyday. Being a person who skipped breakfast or ate a pastry and a diet coke for breakfast, that one change alone was plenty for me to handle. It took some time but, now a good quality breakfast is as much a part of my morning as a shower and going to work. It didn't stress about what I ate the rest of the day. It was just one small step in an on-going process of change.
2011-01-16 2:42 PM

User image

Nevada
Did a 12 mile bike ride today. 6 out and 6 back. Averaged 9mph on the way out and 20 mph on the way back. Can you say HILL?Sealed
2011-01-16 4:12 PM

User image

NH
Wendy, that's a great spin story.  I feel like that on the trainer or rollers - just drop your head and hammer away while the sweat drenches you.

I also love bike rides like that, though it's often the wind up here.  Nothing tests your resolve quite like pedaling into a 20 mph wind for 45 minutes.  Most of my rides are out with the wind and back against, so it's just a losing battle watching my avg. drop more and more!

2011-01-16 4:52 PM
in reply to: #3303032

User image

Nevada
Scary thing is, the ride out today was part of my event course. Miles 12-24 all up hill. From 1200ft elevation to 2600 ft
2011-01-16 8:36 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Well the IM 2011 challenge had begun. 

Warren is not happy with at New England loss, I am not happy with a Baltimore loss.

So with both teams out leaves more time to train for the challenge...I hurt my shoulder doing flat bench press. I don't know why I was doing flat bench, but will not be doing that any time soon. 

Lovey...great job on your run this weekend.  I hope everyone had a great weekend and hope you are logging  your yardage/mileage for the IM challange.

Mike will be hard to beat!
2011-01-16 9:33 PM

User image

Downhill skiing with the little ones today. Only a t-bar so lots of isometric thigh work on the way up, and lots of giggles on the way down. I officially signed up for the Cazenovia Tri. I am electing to go in the Novice Wave of the swim, my GOAL is to finish so I am in no hurry. REAL training starts March 1st: POST Grad Thesis Completion, until then I am just sporadically working out.

Chilly CHili next Sunday, I am just using it as a GAGE for the 5k portion of the TRI...ONce again no record breakers, just trying to break 44 minutes which is what it took my to complete the race 4 years ago.

Kellysue 
2011-01-17 1:23 AM

New user

It's 2 am, and my girl is teething (again).  I could reeeally use the kick in the butt/motivation this week, as it's going to be too easy to skip out on workouts. 

Starting Phase II of the aggressive C25K, which shouldn't be too demanding (if I get sleep).  It's next week that will begin to pose a challenge.  Will hopefully be in the pool as well- upper body needs work.

Also, I'm doing an experiment with the scale this week.  Not going to weigh myself until Saturday- this could prove dangerous, or not!  As of late I've been obsessed to see a change in the scale.  Need to take a mental break, and return to the reason why I'm doing this in the first place, which is health (and the experience!

2011-01-17 1:43 PM

Burlington
Hi everyone! Back from Miami -- it was *very* hard to leave yesterday when it was 76 degrees, knowing I was coming home to a high of 10 here.

RE: The first challenge -- I will do it as a duathlon as I don't want to start swimming until I get my form down right.

Day 1 of Challenge: 5K (walk-jogging) completed

Today I am spinning indoors - anyone know a rough way to calculate distance on a spin bike re: time/effort?
Kim 

2011-01-17 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3304574

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
greenhousevt - 2011-01-17 2:43 PM

Hi everyone! Back from Miami -- it was *very* hard to leave yesterday when it was 76 degrees, knowing I was coming home to a high of 10 here.

RE: The first challenge -- I will do it as a duathlon as I don't want to start swimming until I get my form down right.

Day 1 of Challenge: 5K (walk-jogging) completed

Today I am spinning indoors - anyone know a rough way to calculate distance on a spin bike re: time/effort?
Kim 

I suggested we use the following. In a another challenge I did, one of the members local YMCA used this rule:

spinning 30 minutes = 8 miles
spinning 45 minutes = 12 miles

Of course if you have a bike computer, use your actual miles.
2011-01-17 4:10 PM
in reply to: #3303536

User image

NH
KellySue - Good luck on the 5k next weekend.  Sounds like a good plan to prep for the tri.  I like to try to make each mile a little faster in that type of race, so you get a feel for setting a comfortable pace.

Rachael - Not checking the scale daily is a great idea.  In fact, obsessing too much about the number is not really a good idea.  Focus on improving your eating lifestyle, and improving your exercising lifestyle, and let the chips fall.  Sorry to hear you're up at 2:00 AM, I remember those days well!

Kim - At least you got a chance to thaw out a little before returning to the freezer.  I like the suggested spin bike estimates Lovey suggests if the bike doesn't have a computer.  And duathlons are fine.

We're supposed to get some more snow tomorrow, then it is supposed to be brutally cold later in the week.  Running was tough for me today, it was about 13 and windy.  I looked like a deep sea diver, no exposed skin!
2011-01-18 6:26 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Looks like we're in for another round of cold/bad weather. I guess that's what living in Maine will do for you.

Progress towards the IM challenge? I was thinking we could post our numbers here - either the end of the week (Saturday) or sooner if you have covered all of the distance. I'll go ahead and post the first set for me:

Swim: .8m out of 2.4
Bike: 0 out of 112m
Run: 6.25 out of 26.2

(Total of 7.05 out of 140.6)

I don't know if I'm going to be able to complete the swim - I've got arthritis in my right shoulder that has been really acting up...so this is where I'm going to have to get creative!
2011-01-18 7:52 AM

User image

Regular
Do any of you who use a bike trainer swap out your rear tire for the "indoor season"?  Any guess on the # indoor miles that would make this worthwhile?  I've heard of putting on a "slick" tire, not only to save the wear on your outdoor tires but to make the trainer-ride smoother.  I won't realistically be riding outdoors again until late March/early April, so if I did this I would change it once & keep the slick tire on all winter.   (and it would go on by Nov in future yrs)  over the top?  worth it?

Also, any thoughts on a bike computer?  

Last year I bought a road bike (Trek 3.1 WSD) and told myself that if I kept up with my training, this year I'd buy a bike computer.  Well, here we are and now I'm not sure what to buy.  I had intended to get just the bare minimum - a bike computer that would give me distance, speed, and cadence - that's what I'm really missing right now.  I just wonder if I'll be happy with this for years to come and wanted to get some thoughts from you all.  (While I can justify making a decent one-time purchase, I'm not going to be upgrading my bike or accessories anytime soon.

My bike has a built-in spot (in the frame itself) for a Bontrager SpeedTrap sensor (gives MPH) but I would need to add an additional sensor to get cadence.  The Bontrager Node 1 & 2 computers are reasonably priced, so my original plan was to just get one of those plus the two sensors.   (I've actually got a pretty good feel for cadence from training indoors with others, so I'm not sure if I really need the second sensor or not.)  Of course, I see all these ads for Garmin and GPS capability & wonder if there's some additional capability that I'll be wishing for in a year or two.  (I wonder this mainly from my experience buying a swimming lap counter - I bought the low end model, since I couldn't imagine ever caring about individual lap times.  ha, ha!  Now, of course, I wish I'd spent the extra 10 bucks.)  

fwiw - biking is my best of the tri sports & the one I'm likely to spend the most time doing on its own & for longer distances over the next few yrs.  

comments, suggestions, feedback -- all welcome

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Frozen (not so) North Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23