Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2011-04-18 2:21 PM
in reply to: #3325249

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Subject: RE: Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED

Oh man....same here.  I did a run/walk routine for a couple months just to get running again.  Talk about start off at square one all over again.

2011-04-18 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3453011

User image

Veteran
JeffY - 2011-04-18 2:01 PM
perdiem - 2011-04-18 1:28 PM

Coming off of an injury really sucks. I know I was only sidelined from running about 8 weeks or so but it feels like I lost a lot of ground. I just did my longest post return run of 2 miles and averaged 11:06 per mile and was sucking wind after the first. It it pretty discouraging struggling to maintain. my first mile was 10:16 second was 11:56 so that average is misleading, first mile was decent (for me) and the second horrible, had to walk part of it, how sad is that?

I am thinking about toning down the plan my doc gave me to return to running, he has me running 2 miles for a week and than bumping up to 3 for 2 weeks and 10% increase after that each week. I think I need to stay at the 2 mile level for at least 2 weeks instead of 1 to get my stamina back. Might not be the best for getting ready to race but  would help my confidence level.

What sayest thou?

On a side note my swimming seems to be improving, I still suck mind you, just not quite as bad...

97 days until my sprint.

I've got a lot of experience with injuries (unfortunately).  First off, remind me what this injury is that sidelined you 8 weeks ago?

The last time I was sidelined, you would be amazed at how gradually I opted to return to running.  I literally started with 5 minutes every other day and maintained that for something like a month.    Depending on where your running WAS prior to injury, and what type of injury it was, the Dr.'s plan could be too much too soon.

I had a stress fracture on my right shin about 4 inches above the ankle on my right leg. It never showed on X-ray very well but the ortho said that wasn't to uncommon. I was in a boot and had no running and almost no bike either. I got cleared to run 2 weeks ago and did 3 x .5 mile runs first week 3 x 1 milers on second and just did first 2 miler today.

before this I was training for a half mary following Hal Higdons's novice plan, I was in week 8 when I pulled the plug and went to the doc but the leg started hurting around week 6 (I think). the last week I did on the plan was this, I only made it to the second 4.5 miler, I didn't do the 8:

Stretch &
Strengthen
4.5 m run
3 m run or cross
4.5 m run +
strength
Rest
50 min
cross
8 m run

Week 6 where I "think" the pain started was this, I didn't do the race called for:

Stretch &
Strengthen
4 m run
2 m run or cross
4 m run +
strength
Rest or easy run
Rest
5-K Race

Before starting his plan I had been running 3 miles 3 times a week doing about 10  to 10.5 minute miles. I kept that pace and weekly distance up for about 2 or 3 months when I decided I was superman and wanted to do a half mary.

The last run I did before going to the doc was 4.5 miles in 39.33 minutes so 8:47 pace. which for me was very good indeed.

Back on Thanksgiving of last year I did a road race of 5 miles in 53 minutes and that was my longest run to date. So I increased my weekly distances and speeds pretty fast which is what I am told led to my injury. I was also doing a lot of running on concrete which I have found is another not so good choice. Part of my downfall there was the existence of an almost perfect 3 mile loop near my house, wide sidewalks on busy streets but only a few driveways so I could run it in the evening and not be stopped by traffic, also no lights or corners to cross so easy to maintain a pace.

So the ramp up in speed, distance and surface choice were all against me and it jumped up and bit me if not in the butt then on the leg. I am now trying to go slow and easy and stay on dirt or gravel tracks and asphalt as a last resort and avoid concrete altogether, my goal for the sprint coming up in 3 months is to finish in 1:45 but I will be happy to finish.

I just don't want to be stupid and injure myself again getting ready to compete when all I really need to do is participate.

Congratulations on the new house BTW. I missed that in your post. New houses are fun, and a bit intimidating but in a good way.

Edited by perdiem 2011-04-18 2:41 PM
2011-04-18 2:47 PM
in reply to: #3453116

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Ok.  So it seems to me from your running history that you may be starting back with too much. 

One of the secrets to avoiding overuse injuries is to spread the 'trauma' over as many small chunks as possible.  Let's say you have a quota of 5 miles per week right now.  The best way to go at this...in terms of avoiding injury...is to do 1 mile at a time five days per week. 

You can imagine how doing all 5 in one single run, even if it were just once per week, could be more likely to cause injury.  That will be true no matter what your weekly mileage is.  When it comes to running, consistent training over time is perhaps the most important feature of your training plan.  Hence injury avoidance techniques are so important.  You even see it in the training plans of the elite runners.  ie. 80% of their running is easy...they usually run 2 times per day to spread the trauma out...

When you are ready to move past the 5x1mile runs (which might just be 1 week), you then move to alternate days of 1 mile and 1.5 miles.  Then you up the 1 mile days so you are at 5x1.5mile.  If/when that's comfortable, you inch up alternate days again...

In no time you will be at 15 miles per week and feeling great.

BTW, let your runs for the next few weeks be at whatever pace feels comfy aerobically.  Even if it's 11:30 or 12:00.

That's my advice anyway.  But it does come from a lifetime of running experience.

Thanks for the congrats!

2011-04-18 2:51 PM
in reply to: #3451493

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
webertp - 2011-04-17 7:43 PM

6 days to recapture my youth.  Doing my first marathon in 24 years.  Last one I was sixteen years old.  Shooting for 4hr 38min or less, I boinked in my first one and didn't even know it at the time.  I walked a few miles during it.  I hope to not walk at all this time.  The worst part is I have to work one night 12 hrs on Thursday and like anyone who has worked nights I get real tired and real crabby.  I hope a slow day friday will recharge my batteries.  Let the count down continue! 

What I lack in body I hope to make up in mind.

You do realize that the correct term is 'bonked'.  The term 'boinked' is a euphemism for sexual intercourse.  Or was that not a mistake???

Hope it goes well.  Don't over-taper.  What is your taper plan BTW?

2011-04-18 3:03 PM
in reply to: #3453152

User image

Veteran
JeffY - 2011-04-18 2:47 PM

Ok.  So it seems to me from your running history that you may be starting back with too much. 

One of the secrets to avoiding overuse injuries is to spread the 'trauma' over as many small chunks as possible.  Let's say you have a quota of 5 miles per week right now.  The best way to go at this...in terms of avoiding injury...is to do 1 mile at a time five days per week. 

You can imagine how doing all 5 in one single run, even if it were just once per week, could be more likely to cause injury.  That will be true no matter what your weekly mileage is.  When it comes to running, consistent training over time is perhaps the most important feature of your training plan.  Hence injury avoidance techniques are so important.  You even see it in the training plans of the elite runners.  ie. 80% of their running is easy...they usually run 2 times per day to spread the trauma out...

When you are ready to move past the 5x1mile runs (which might just be 1 week), you then move to alternate days of 1 mile and 1.5 miles.  Then you up the 1 mile days so you are at 5x1.5mile.  If/when that's comfortable, you inch up alternate days again...

BTW, let your runs for the next few weeks be at whatever pace feels comfy aerobically.  Even if it's 11:30 or 12:00.

That's my advice anyway.  But it does come from a lifetime of running experience.

Thanks for the congrats!

Thanks Jeff, I realized after I sent my second post on this that I asked your opinion but didn't give any facts.

Hey doc, it hurts when I do this...No never mind what "this" is or how it hurts, just tell me what to do to fix it. Can't you read my mind?

slow slow slow, this 44 year old needs to embrace that as his mantra. I still think I am 24 most days.

2011-04-18 3:13 PM
in reply to: #3453161

User image

Expert
JeffY - 2011-04-18 3:51 PM  

You do realize that the correct term is 'bonked'.  The term 'boinked' is a euphemism for sexual intercourse.  Or was that not a mistake???

Tee hee! I just assumed it was a typo the first time I read it, but it would be pretty outrageous to boink in the middle of a race! Almost makes blowing the goal pace worthwhile...

Congrats all around on the various engagements and new houses, etc.

I didn't train at all yesterday, instead I took the kids to swimming lessons and then to see Rio. It was a good day! Hopefully I can sneak a swim in myself later on tonight. I couldn't get away from the office at all today.

By the way, I'm still eager to hear any advice on how to start heart rate training. I have used my Garmin a couple of times but haven't uploaded the workouts yet because I don't really know what to do with the data.

2011-04-18 3:13 PM
in reply to: #3453192

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
perdiem - 2011-04-18 3:03 PM

Thanks for the congrats!

Thanks Jeff, I realized after I sent my second post on this that I asked your opinion but didn't give any facts.

Hey doc, it hurts when I do this...No never mind what "this" is or how it hurts, just tell me what to do to fix it. Can't you read my mind?

slow slow slow, this 44 year old needs to embrace that as his mantra. I still think I am 24 most days.

The good news is that you can train as much as you want...just constrain the running and bike/swim to your heart's content.  I have also found that the legs appreciate running far far more when you do it immediately after a bike or swim.  This way the legs are fully warmed up without having to run while warming up. 

With the exception of my weekend run, EVERY run follows immediately after bike or swim.  I'm doing this partly because of scheduling considerations but partly because it's one of those all important injury avoidance techniques.

And don't give in to believing you are old.  Your body can do great things if you are patient with it...but doggedly persistent too.  You can be in the best shape of your life at 50!

2011-04-18 3:16 PM
in reply to: #3448943

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
chopadog83 - 2011-04-15 1:26 PM

I think the biggest thing I need to work on is knowing what heart rates I can race at. To train for racing I think it brings up knowing your HR zones. I've been training using the typical age minus 220 to establish my heart rate zones and haven't gone for maximal effort to find what my max really is. Has anybody else established their max using real tests? How did you do it?

Another thing with racing, I've never actually raced before other than my 4 triathlons. I know there is a lot of mental aspects to it but I have the philosophy of establishing my pace and racing against myself instead of racing somebody on the course. I'm not sure if thats how I should be thinking about it, but I'm excited for this season to try and race someone instead of just finishing like years past.

One fairly convenient way to come to a better estimate of your max HR is to race in a 5k run.  Make sure to run with a good solid effort, especially the final mile and then do a long acceleration over the last 1/4 mile followed by an all out kick for the final 100 yards.  Then your HR about 5 seconds after starting is pretty close to your actual max HR.

If you have a HR monitor on, that middle part of the race where you are in no-man's land...really feeling uncomfortable, but not slowing...that's probably your threshold HR.

2011-04-18 3:26 PM
in reply to: #3453208

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
trysprintolympic - 2011-04-18 3:13 PM

Tee hee! I just assumed it was a typo the first time I read it, but it would be pretty outrageous to boink in the middle of a race! Almost makes blowing the goal pace worthwhile...

Congrats all around on the various engagements and new houses, etc.

I didn't train at all yesterday, instead I took the kids to swimming lessons and then to see Rio. It was a good day! Hopefully I can sneak a swim in myself later on tonight. I couldn't get away from the office at all today.

By the way, I'm still eager to hear any advice on how to start heart rate training. I have used my Garmin a couple of times but haven't uploaded the workouts yet because I don't really know what to do with the data.

HR is just a metric to use to measure and communicate relative effort level.  You can either use HR ranges to specify various training zones, or use pace.  They can be interchangeable.  If your current run fitness is known via the results of one or more recent races (run only races) then you can come up with your training zones without knowing your heart rates.

If you know either your maximum HR or your heartrate at lactate threshold (LT...another way of saying that line between aerobic and anaerobic) then you can get those zones as heart rate ranges.

For running that's pretty easy.  For cycling it's less useful to use pace, so you can use HR or Power interchangeably.  but for that you need an expensive power meter...so that's where HR comes in handy.  Your max HR on the bike (or your LT HR on the bike) will usually be a good bit different than when running! 

So you would really have 2 different HR numbers from which to build your ranges off of for running and cycling.

So first question is: do you know either your max HR or your LT HR?  If not, do you have any recent running races from which we can work on pace ranges?

2011-04-18 4:11 PM
in reply to: #3453192

User image

NH
perdiem - 2011-04-18 4:03 PM

Thanks for the congrats!

This is really great advice.  I'm learning mostly slow running (easy) is good, and less miles more frequently is way easier for the old body to handle and recover from.  Showing up that start line of that sprint healthy is job #1, forget the times you originally targeted.  Easy for me to say, I wish I could follow my own advice.

I got outside for my first ride today - brutal wind.  That wind that got the Boston marathoners to new PRs was directly in the face on the home portion of my out and back.  A 22 mph out leg quickly became a 14 mph return trip!  Embrace the wind as a great training aid I guess.

2011-04-18 5:04 PM

User image

Upstate New York
webertp - 2011-04-17 7:43 PM

"I boinked in my first one and didn't even know it at the time."  

ha ha ha     oh...sorry couldn't help myself!!  Congratulations on the new house Jeff! 

With all due respect to all, with injuries or no injuries, hearing about everyone sucking wind has boosted my confidence a bit in that "hey, everyone does it"!  I was beginning to wonder if building up is always soooo slow when it comes to running!

2011-04-18 5:11 PM

User image

Upstate New York

All of these discussions on running has got me excited for my evening Bike/Run!?!

Jenna, we went to see Rio yesterday too!   

2011-04-18 7:56 PM
in reply to: #3451843

User image

This side of disorder...

Congrats!

jgerbodegrant - 2011-04-18 6:05 AM

Looks like everyone is keeping busy...which is good.  I proposed to my girlfriend and she said yes.  We're excited.  She's really excited.  Man do I have her fooled!

2011-04-19 6:22 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
This is a "rest" week for me.  I'm kind of excited.  I did my 20 minute run and 1900 in the pool yesterday and feel pretty good today.  I might actually get to some yard work this afternoon if it's not too rainy.  I always sleep well when it rains too...blocks out the full moon. :-)
2011-04-19 6:33 AM
in reply to: #3451493

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
webertp - 2011-04-17 8:43 PM

I boinked in my first one and didn't even know it at the time.  

You're my hero and officially my new favorite member of BT.

2011-04-19 7:08 AM

User image

Regular
Tomahawk
Yes bonked.  Happy fingers on the keyboard.  My taper is just and active recovery week nothing hard, each run, bike and swim will have a very short 90% output for a short time less than 1 min with the remainder being an endurance workout.  My taper came in the form of 3 full inactive days (night shifts last week) 16 hour shifts.  Not much time for anything else.

Edited by webertp 2011-04-19 7:21 AM

2011-04-19 7:25 AM

User image

Regular
Tomahawk
To my defense on the boinking in my first race, I was only 16.  This might have been a mind slip back to my youth.  BTW the weather is suppose to be heavy wet snow (4-6in) and wind for the start of the race and a high of 41 degrees.  Let hope the weatherperson is wrong again this time.
2011-04-19 8:37 AM
in reply to: #3454174

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

webertp - 2011-04-19 8:25 AM To my defense on the boinking in my first race, I was only 16.  This might have been a mind slip back to my youth.  BTW the weather is suppose to be heavy wet snow (4-6in) and wind for the start of the race and a high of 41 degrees.  Let hope the weatherperson is wrong again this time.

That may prove to be challenging Tim.  Pray that the snow holds off!  To me 41 degrees with no wind is ideal, but most people find that a bit cold.

2011-04-19 3:27 PM

User image

Upstate New York

Is there any benefit to a USA Triathlon Membership as opposed to just paying the $10 fee at each race?  So, far I've just paid the $10 for the 3 races I registered for.

Thanks, Deb

2011-04-19 3:37 PM
in reply to: #3455261

User image

Veteran
colwin21 - 2011-04-19 3:27 PM

Is there any benefit to a USA Triathlon Membership as opposed to just paying the $10 fee at each race?  So, far I've just paid the $10 for the 3 races I registered for.

Thanks, Deb

Looks like a yearly membership is $39 so if you do more than 4 it would be worth it, less than 4 not so much from a purely cost analysis.

Their website also lists these additional benefits, I like the one about the insurance:

• Part of a community of 135,000 athletes and growing
  • Subscription to the quarterly USA Triathlon publication USA Triathlon Magazine
  • Inclusion in the USA Triathlon national ranking system after competing in at least three USAT sanctioned triathlon events or two duathlon, aquathlon or off-road triathlon events
  • Excess accident insurance while participating in USA Triathlon-sanctioned events
  • Savings at events by not having to pay one-day license fee
  • Access to members-only dashboard with opportunities to access giveaways and special articles
  • Discounts from USA Triathlon partners, including Endurance Films, Fuel Belt, Rudy Project, Cycle Pro, Training Peaks, Sweat Vac and more. You'll have access to the discount codes via your membership dashboard.
  • Members-only forum
  • Membership card and key fob
  • USA Triathlon sticker
  • The official USA Triathlon Rulebook. Please request your free E-copy by emailing [email protected].
  • Have a voice in the direction and development of multisport by joining USAT Committees and Commissions
  • Eligibility to qualify as a Team USA Triathlon/Duathlon member and compete at ITU World Championship events.
  • Eligibility to compete at USAT Short Course Triathlon and Duathlon National Championships.
  • E-newsletters to keep you informed 
  • Use of Regional Training Centers

Edited by perdiem 2011-04-19 3:41 PM
2011-04-19 4:17 PM
in reply to: #3455283

User image

Upstate New York
Thank for sharing.  Sounds like some worthy benefits, i.e. insurance, etc.  I especially like the part about the sticker.  Laughing

2011-04-19 4:51 PM
in reply to: #3453211

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I hope the HR training discussion continues because that is how I train.  Admittedly I need to learn more about it and real, practical applications because I use my numbers from a limited perspective.  Also, I don't have a lot of questions to ask because I don't know what to ask.

I do like the alternative method of figuring the max HR, but I haven't heard anyone else discussing it in other forums.  I don't have any short races coming up anytime soon but I would be willing to try it if I see one that pops up on my radar.

2011-04-19 4:56 PM
in reply to: #3451843

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jgerbodegrant - 2011-04-18 7:05 AM

I proposed to my girlfriend and she said yes.  We're excited.  She's really excited.  Man do I have her fooled!

Congrats!  This November my wife and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary.  It has been a lot of work to stay together and several times we thought about giving up but we stuck with it and recommitted ourselves to making things work and now we are as happy as we have ever been.

2011-04-19 8:18 PM
in reply to: #3455427

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
DirkP - 2011-04-19 5:56 PM
jgerbodegrant - 2011-04-18 7:05 AM

I proposed to my girlfriend and she said yes.  We're excited.  She's really excited.  Man do I have her fooled!

Congrats!  This November my wife and I will be celebrating our 25th anniversary.  It has been a lot of work to stay together and several times we thought about giving up but we stuck with it and recommitted ourselves to making things work and now we are as happy as we have ever been.

Wow congrats man. I'm sure it will take a lot of work. This girl is my hero. We have only been together for 3 hrs in august, so we've got some distance to go. She actually just called and yelled, "WE ARE GOING TO BE TOGETHER FOREEEVEEEERRRRRR!" on my voicemail. Followed by crazy laughter. Pretty funny...hehe....he...he.
2011-04-19 8:28 PM
in reply to: #3455679

User image

Upstate New York

jgerbodegrant - 2011-04-19 9:18 PM
DirkP - 2011-04-19 5:56 PM
jgerbodegrant - 2011-04-18 7:05 AM "We have only been together for 3 hrs in august, so we've got some distance to go."

I assume you mean 3 years rather than hours....She's sounds fun! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64