BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2012-01-04 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3943322

User image

Veteran
Mass.
Subject: RE: Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED

KC and XP - Glad you guys would have me back.  You guys were great inpirations last year.

So I started doing triathlons last year to become a healtier person and a good example to my kids.  I find it hard to tell my kid he has to do a sport (of his choice) as I sit on the couch and get unhealthy.  I did 3 sprint distances and a 100k bike ride.

I'm turning 36 this year and the plan is the same three sprints I did last year to see if I can get faster and to also do an olympic distance.  My swim times are usually at the bottom overall, so I want to inprove on that more than anything else.  I also got some pedals and shoes for christmas, so can't wait to try those babies out on the road! 

2012-01-04 12:06 PM
in reply to: #3969611

User image

Expert

I have been so worried about that! (Some serious anxiety issues with crowds-haha.  I won't go to movie theatres, concerts, crowded bars or anywhere I have to deal with crowds of people.  Last movie I saw at a theater was Titanic! Once I am there though I am fine - WEIRD)

But.. I showed up to the pool today at 6am and had all 8 lanes to myself for the first 15 minutes!  I did have to park about 10 spots further away though-haha.  I won't even attempt to go into the weight room until February.

razorxp - 2012-01-03 9:04 PM

Did anyone have the same problem as me today, actually went to the YMCA to swim and drove around about 5 times without finding  a spot and they were parked blocks away.  So I adjusted my plan and will not be swimming this week unless I can go on an off time.  With all the NYE resolution members it will be crazy.   Decided to do a nice and slow 6 mile run and some core work. 

How was everyone's day.

2012-01-04 12:14 PM
in reply to: #3970677

User image

Expert

That is crazy - Have you ever lost your bike-haha?

Niezels - 2012-01-04 11:36 AM

For my first picture on picture wednesday I went for a shot near Central Station of Utrecht. The town I live in. It is to show that biking over here is quite common and the best form of transport in every town over here.

Which means we hardly have any triathletes over here that are very poor at biking.

And as a result we do have a slight parking issue . Below is just one of the many ally's

Welcome to Holland

2012-01-04 12:17 PM

User image

Expert

First off - great idea Keri for the picture Wednesday!

So for my first pic I am posting a recent family photo we took for x-mas with our newest addition Myles.  Seeing as that balancing time between my family and IM training I figure it would be good to post a pic so you all know who I am talking about.  

Josi (Wife), Evan (7), Sophia (4) & Myles (10 weeks)

Edited by tmoran80 2012-01-04 12:19 PM

(Untitled-1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Untitled-1.jpg (84KB - 6 downloads)
2012-01-04 12:44 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Keith / Sarah great to see you back. Fantastic news on the sponsorship - whoo hoo! Monique, I started with clipless peddles just last march. I took one rather embarrassing spill for a completely pointless stop, and that was it (touch wood). I've had a few close calls, but it really does become second nature. You'll be fine. Practice on a trainer if you can, if not for the feel of it but also to wear your cleats a little as new one seem so stiff and 'clicky'. Does anybody else find it ironic that our resisdent rockstar doesn't like crowds yet thousands of people pay money to come and crowd him? Lol
2012-01-04 12:55 PM

User image

Veteran

Monique  - I am experienced in that I did a couple of sprint tri's on my mountain bike.  Then a friend got me to sign up for IM.  after signing up I bought a used bike from a neighbor for $175, slapped some aero bars on it, and called it my triathlon bike.  3 months later when I removed the pedals with toe cages to put on clipless and bike shoes I went out for my first ride with my neighbor.  As we were pulling out the first time I clipped in, he saw that my air valve on the rear tire was loose, so he grabbed the tire.  The only time I have fallen, but what a sight Foot in mouth.

Tim - I think you asked about HR zones and running.  I am a big believer in zone 1 running to build base and endurance.  For my marathon plan I am using a Runners World program based on pace, not HR.  3 runs per week are about 70-80 seconds slower than my race goal pace, with a speed day at or faster than goal pace.  I am not always able to keep in zone 1 though - usually flirting between the top of Z1 and bottom of Z2.  I am getting a lot faser so far and have kept up with the decreasing pace as teh plan has moved forward.

2012-01-04 1:30 PM

User image

Pro
Houston

Here's the deal with clipless falls - The more people that see you the higher the points you get. But it's like buying a Blizzard in a drive thru if nobody sees it, it didn't really happen. Mine was in an INTERSECTION, I was turning left and the car coming towards me was slowing but I didn't have a green arrow yet and dind't want to trust the car to stop so I am hanging out and BAM! People came out of their cars to check on me - so very COOL!

LOVE the pic of all the bikes, that is so awesome!

To stay on the bike theme - everyone, meet Dori in all her race day ragalia.

I might have a better pic but this is the only one I could find right now. This is the Houston Oly.

Edited by KeriKadi 2012-01-04 1:37 PM

(HouTri.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
HouTri.jpg (41KB - 9 downloads)
2012-01-04 1:39 PM
in reply to: #3969464

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
MoniqueGriffith - 2012-01-03 7:43 PM

Here's a dumb question for the group.  Am I the only real newbie here as far as triathlons go? (Done 1 sprint.)  Is it ok for me to hang out with all the cool kids when I know nothing and can't contribute much advice?  All this IM talk, and I probably won't do my first IM for another year or two, but it's kinda fun to see everyone getting excited about it.

Speaking of being a total noob, I just bought my first big girl shoes and pedals today.  Haven't put them on the bike yet, but will tomorrow.  So it should be hilarious if anyone wants to come to my neighborhood and watch me fall down over and over. 

Monique, I did my first triathlon in 2009.  I am a novice too. Lots to learn.  We lower our learning curve hanging with people who've done it.  What I love about triathlon is that you can get into it as much as you like...sprint, oly, half IM, IM, they all have their positives.  You can sign up for the distance you have the time and money and energy to do.  No one size fits all yet the primary sports are the same so we can all talk swim, bike and run and apply it to the distance we are training for.  Love this stuff.  

2012-01-04 1:49 PM
in reply to: #3970743

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
tmoran80 - 2012-01-04 1:06 PM

I have been so worried about that! (Some serious anxiety issues with crowds-haha.  I won't go to movie theatres, concerts, crowded bars or anywhere I have to deal with crowds of people.  Last movie I saw at a theater was Titanic! Once I am there though I am fine - WEIRD)

But.. I showed up to the pool today at 6am and had all 8 lanes to myself for the first 15 minutes!  I did have to park about 10 spots further away though-haha.  I won't even attempt to go into the weight room until February.

Did anyone have the same problem as me today, actually went to the YMCA to swim and drove around about 5 times without finding  a spot and they were parked blocks away.  So I adjusted my plan and will not be swimming this week unless I can go on an off time.  With all the NYE resolution members it will be crazy.   Decided to do a nice and slow 6 mile run and some core work. 

How was everyone's day.

I am lucky to have everything at home but a pool! I did bid on an endless pool a while back but the guy would not budge on his min.  Can't justify $25k for a pool you can only swim in, although I did see one at the Rev3 race that was almost like a huge hot tub (could be used as one when not swimming) but it cost even more.  I told angie that we should just build a mote around the house and swim in circles. lol

Are you serious about crowds? how in the heck are you going to swim in IMWI next year? lol

2012-01-04 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3970995

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
razorxp - 2012-01-04 1:49 PM
tmoran80 - 2012-01-04 1:06 PM

How was everyone's day.

I am lucky to have everything at home but a pool! I did bid on an endless pool a while back but the guy would not budge on his min.  Can't justify $25k for a pool you can only swim in, although I did see one at the Rev3 race that was almost like a huge hot tub (could be used as one when not swimming) but it cost even more.  I told angie that we should just build a mote around the house and swim in circles. lol

Are you serious about crowds? how in the heck are you going to swim in IMWI next year? lol

Start to the right...  ease over when you can count your strokes.... 

2012-01-04 1:54 PM
in reply to: #3970995

User image

Pro
Houston

That was my question too. I don't mind crowds at all and yet I get a bit freaked at just about every tri swim.

2012-01-04 1:59 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

My fav race pic!

2012-01-04 2:22 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

Hope everyone is having a great day. Long meeting today at work but in about an hour I am on the trainer, followed by 30 minutes of Yoga and then a good swim tonight at 8:30 if all goes well.

Tim - I love when you have the pool to yourself. It does not happen very often but even when it is for 15 minutes, it is great. I love the pic, thanks for sharing it. I would also like to ask you - are you serious about the crowd thing? How do you go on stage?

Niezels - that is a crazy PIC. Also, I am going to have to practice typing your name LOL.

SkinyArm Brian - and anyone else who would like to answer. What is the best most definitive way to establish Heart Rate Zones?

Keri - Your bike's name is Dori? That is great. I know some of us here have names for our bikes, anyone else care to share them and the story behind them? I don't have one yet but I am sure I will once the the specialized arrives in the spring.

Coach - where is the pic?

Enjoy the rest of the day team.

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2012-01-04 2:24 PM
2012-01-04 2:30 PM

User image

Expert

So KC - I was thinking about your training question today during my run at lunch.  You had asked about the start of a program being easier and if you should adjust it.

My thinking is that the most crucial part of your IM training is your getting to your PEAK phase and finishing your PEAK phase healthy and not burned out.  I think you should look at your highest weeks total during your PEAK and adjust from there.  So if you see that your highest weekly total is gonna be 20 hours and you feel that is too much maybe the plan isn't right for you?  The same would go the other way - if the plan peak at 12 hours/week and you feel this isn't gonna be enough then you might want ot reconsider.  

If the plan starts out easier but you are comfortable with the peak phase then just go with it, enjoy it while it lasts (cause it is eventually gonna get harder).  Hopefully that makes senseWink

2012-01-04 2:32 PM
in reply to: #3971084

User image

Expert

I have used this for the last 3 years and find it very accurate

http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=633

kcgolf - 2012-01-04 2:22 PM

What is the best most definitive way to establish Heart Rate Zones?

2012-01-04 2:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

Good afternoon everyone!

For the first Wednesday picture, I thought I'd post this picture of me and my mom.  It was taken after the Chicago Triathlon in 2010, where it was over 100 degrees during the race!  My mom is a HUGE inspiration to me.  She has battled the devastating effects of MS for nearly 20 years, but she never gives up on anything.  She mainly struggles with weakness and fatigue in her legs, but hasn't let this stop her from training for and doing the MS Walk (5k) each spring. 

I am getting ready to do a ride on the trainer this afternoon followed by a 70 minute run at the Pettit Ice Center- they have a running and walking track around the oval, and in two weeks I am running in a marathon relay with three other people there.

Happy Training!

Jenny

(mom.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
mom.jpg (77KB - 9 downloads)

2012-01-04 2:46 PM
in reply to: #3971006

User image

Expert

Funny you should ask that-haha - While in a completely empty pool this morning and only 249 days from the race I was already contemplating if I should hold off 20-30 seconds after the cannon and then swim in more open water missing the whole "mass start" thing.  Its gonna be a long 248 days....

Its mostly just the thought of it that deters me and once I am there and get adjusted to the environment I am usually ok.

Although last year in Oshkosh I had a minor freakout that killed my swim time but I got through it.  That was mostly due to the fact that someone died the previous year and it was too warm for wetsuits.  I convinced myself that I was gonna get kicked in the head unconscious and drown.  Not the best thoughts for a swim PR.

And its not stage fright anxiety.  Actually the bigger the crowd the better as long as I'm not down in itLaughing.  Actually on February 4th we are playing one of the the largest charity events in Chicago at the Union Station Great Hall for over 3000 people. But when I am on stage I have a barrier from the crowd and I usually arrive at the venue when it is empty which gives me time to adjust.

KeriKadi - 2012-01-04 1:54 PM

That was my question too. I don't mind crowds at all and yet I get a bit freaked at just about every tri swim.

2012-01-04 3:05 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

Tim - thanks for the input and it makes total sense. I will look at the heart rate stuff - awesome. I completely know what you are saying with the swim thing. When I leave to go the pool I find myself trying to make up excuses not to swim, get anxious as I park, contemplate not going in and then once I get in I start to feel a bit better but some days are tougher then others. Thanks for explaining the perfoming thing as well. Even if I had your talent I don't think I could do it no matter what - in it, on it, above it -whatever - I think it is incredible and look foward to seeing you live sometime this year.

Jenny - Great pic, thanks for sharing.

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2012-01-04 3:07 PM
2012-01-04 3:40 PM

User image

SE North Carolina

looks like this is a good group, I see I have alot of work ahead of me to even try to keep up with some of you, Im gonna have to step it up a notch. I ran 3 miles on the treadmill (hate running inside) and did 30 minutes on the bike in the gym. Ive got alot to do between now and may..

2012-01-04 4:36 PM

User image

New user
Chicago, IL

Happy hump day, fellow tri peeps! Laughing  Just poppin in to say hello! I got my 45 min power plate workout in this morning. Tonight I'll be making some chili...YUM!

Tim - we'll be off to the side together!  It was a little freaky watching the mass start but I talked to a guy from TX after the race and he said he swam inside the buoys and for the turn buoys, he swam to the outside.  Apparently swimming inside the non-turn buoys is not illegal?!  Can anyone confirm this? 

As for clipless pedal stories, a former riding buddy of mine said there are 2 types of riders: ones that have fallen and ones that will fall. Haha!  I've had 2 memorable spills when first learning to use the new pedals.  Once, it was just me and my friend Ann, and we were just starting off on our ride and were still in her neighborhood.  The other one, well, that's a funnier story.  I was on a fun ride and was trying to teach myself to be 'ambidextrous' with my feet and clipping out with the other foot.  I was at a food stop and rode over to the porta potty to wait for my friend.  I took a spill right in front of the porta potty, going about 1mph. A few people from the food table rushed over to me and asked if I was alright.  I laughed it off but it was pretty embarrassing.  Lesson learned: now I just clip out with my right pedal all the time Laughing

Hope everyone has a great evening!  I'm going to try and run tomorrow morning with the Murphster (my dog).  I'm signed up for the Polar Dash half marathon on the 14th and haven't run since Christmas.  Hope it's not too cold!

2012-01-04 5:24 PM

User image

Expert
Blood work came back with everything normal Laughing

2012-01-04 6:19 PM
in reply to: #3971453

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

AWESOME Smile!

tmoran80 - 2012-01-04 6:24 PM Blood work came back with everything normal Laughing

2012-01-04 6:46 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Team.

Before I head to the pool I thought I would post a picture of the sport I am actually pretty good at Smile. I don't want you to remember me forever as the guy who could not get his bike out of the garage.

DaveL - just in case you don't recognize that golf course, it is right in your back yard - The Barrie Golf and Country Club - that is Barrie Ontario for all you non Canadian team members Smile and that of course is me hitting my opening tee shot on the first hole in the Ontario PGA Championship.

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2012-01-04 6:52 PM

(Kevin Corriveaugolfswing.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Kevin Corriveaugolfswing.JPG (85KB - 10 downloads)
2012-01-04 6:48 PM
in reply to: #3971261

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Nice work today Kevin!

MANDOWN - 2012-01-04 4:40 PM

looks like this is a good group, I see I have alot of work ahead of me to even try to keep up with some of you, Im gonna have to step it up a notch. I ran 3 miles on the treadmill (hate running inside) and did 30 minutes on the bike in the gym. Ive got alot to do between now and may..

2012-01-04 6:54 PM
in reply to: #3971382

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Sarah - how was the Chili? is it a special recipe and if so, care to share it with the group?

saskat - 2012-01-04 5:36 PM

Happy hump day, fellow tri peeps! Laughing  Just poppin in to say hello! I got my 45 min power plate workout in this morning. Tonight I'll be making some chili...YUM!

Tim - we'll be off to the side together!  It was a little freaky watching the mass start but I talked to a guy from TX after the race and he said he swam inside the buoys and for the turn buoys, he swam to the outside.  Apparently swimming inside the non-turn buoys is not illegal?!  Can anyone confirm this? 

As for clipless pedal stories, a former riding buddy of mine said there are 2 types of riders: ones that have fallen and ones that will fall. Haha!  I've had 2 memorable spills when first learning to use the new pedals.  Once, it was just me and my friend Ann, and we were just starting off on our ride and were still in her neighborhood.  The other one, well, that's a funnier story.  I was on a fun ride and was trying to teach myself to be 'ambidextrous' with my feet and clipping out with the other foot.  I was at a food stop and rode over to the porta potty to wait for my friend.  I took a spill right in front of the porta potty, going about 1mph. A few people from the food table rushed over to me and asked if I was alright.  I laughed it off but it was pretty embarrassing.  Lesson learned: now I just clip out with my right pedal all the time Laughing

Hope everyone has a great evening!  I'm going to try and run tomorrow morning with the Murphster (my dog).  I'm signed up for the Polar Dash half marathon on the 14th and haven't run since Christmas.  Hope it's not too cold!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 43