BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2012-01-15 4:43 PM
in reply to: #3943430

New user

Subject: RE: Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - CLOSED

Hoping everyone has a great week this week.  Full of good workouts and good health.  January got off to a tough start for some of us -- here's to better days!

2012-01-15 4:46 PM

New user

I will come and reply with a better recap later but I wanted to let you all know that I have set a new PR.

I finished in 54:39. My goal was to finish in under 56 minutes. WOOHOO!! And I even got 2nd in my age group 20-29.

Hope everyone is having a nice weekend!

2012-01-15 5:35 PM

I haven't been on much lately myself, I am part of the "Quiet" here I suppose. Been a rough couple of weeks in my house.  Worst was the flu. Felt like its taken forever to recover from it.  I am part of a group via facebook called "Stet That Run's Virtual 12athon Challenge" and it is to run 12 miles on the 12th day of every month.  So 1/12/12 was my first one.  There are also bonus challenges that make it more interesting and allow you to earn more points. Every month there's a random drawing for a participant to win a goody bag of running stuff. The website and blog are here along with me on the leaderboard. Joy McGilvery : http://www.stetthatrun.com/virtual-12athon-challenge/points-tracker/ neet to see my name with the stats, and whatever in "print".   That has been making me feel like recovery too. This is 3 days later and my legs still feel like gelatin.  That's the longest single performance running, ever for me. Let me define Joy, running: Imagine that sweet old lady you know with a walker? Yeah, her. She lapped me like 8 times, I'm pretty sure. LOL. 

Robin, I am sorry to hear of your loss, and it is yet refreshing to hear that you have a positive, realistic outlook on the matter. 

I am wondering, how do I decide a training plan?  Honestly I have races in mind and sorted which I want to do, but I am not sure how/what/when to train.   In addition I have changed my goals, which included my 1st half marathon being in July, to being in MAY.  That's two months sooner, and makes me nervous.  I honestly have no fear or concern about the distance but the one I'm entering requires a specific maximum of 13 mins some odd seconds per mile average, max 3:30 time to finish 13.1 miles. 
How do I decide how much of what I should do, how many days a week? Is there a good website to see or book to buy?  Also, will the indoor bike (boring) at the gym (double boring) be okay until this fluffy stuff melts? I can barely stand to be outside. BRRH!!

Hope everyone had a great weekend and has a great week coming up!
2012-01-15 5:35 PM

I haven't been on much lately myself, I am part of the "Quiet" here I suppose. Been a rough couple of weeks in my house.  Worst was the flu. Felt like its taken forever to recover from it.  I am part of a group via facebook called "Stet That Run's Virtual 12athon Challenge" and it is to run 12 miles on the 12th day of every month.  So 1/12/12 was my first one.  There are also bonus challenges that make it more interesting and allow you to earn more points. Every month there's a random drawing for a participant to win a goody bag of running stuff. The website and blog are here along with me on the leaderboard. Joy McGilvery : http://www.stetthatrun.com/virtual-12athon-challenge/points-tracker/ neet to see my name with the stats, and whatever in "print".   That has been making me feel like recovery too. This is 3 days later and my legs still feel like gelatin.  That's the longest single performance running, ever for me. Let me define Joy, running: Imagine that sweet old lady you know with a walker? Yeah, her. She lapped me like 8 times, I'm pretty sure. LOL. 

Robin, I am sorry to hear of your loss, and it is yet refreshing to hear that you have a positive, realistic outlook on the matter. 

I am wondering, how do I decide a training plan?  Honestly I have races in mind and sorted which I want to do, but I am not sure how/what/when to train.   In addition I have changed my goals, which included my 1st half marathon being in July, to being in MAY.  That's two months sooner, and makes me nervous.  I honestly have no fear or concern about the distance but the one I'm entering requires a specific maximum of 13 mins some odd seconds per mile average, max 3:30 time to finish 13.1 miles. 
How do I decide how much of what I should do, how many days a week? Is there a good website to see or book to buy?  Also, will the indoor bike (boring) at the gym (double boring) be okay until this fluffy stuff melts? I can barely stand to be outside. BRRH!!

2012-01-15 5:38 PM

I have to share this funny video with you all.  I apologize, it does have some profanity but the thing is absolutely hilarious in concept. :-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6derUz9_k0

Also, a question for the group/team:  What do you do when you feel really discouraged? I have had that a bit last week..... I look at myself in the mirror, mind you, I am still very overweight, and I think "What in the heck am I doing? My goals are ludacris....." then I spiral down from there.  I want to show everyone who disbelieves they're wrong, but sometimes I can't even hold my own spirit up. 
2012-01-15 6:34 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus
Joy-

Keep that in mind! Everyone includes you. Each day is a challenge--even for me. It never gets easier to get my butt to the gym with kids in tow or biking in the basement staring at the tv (gag!!!!), but I do it knowing that at the end of my workout, even if I don't feel physically or attitude-ally better, my brain knows I defeated those "you-can't-do-it" demons. After a while, you can talk those self-defeating thoughts down and take control.

Also, plug in to our group whenever you need it. Whether it's a question or if you just want to rant about something unrelated to exercise. We're here to listen, comisserate, and give you a swift kick in the rear if and when you need it!!!!

(I tried to quote, but the server wouldn't let me.  I'll respond to your training later tonight.  Gotta cook dinner!)

2012-01-15 9:18 PM

User image

New user

Joy,

Boy did your last message hit home...Two years ago, after my now husband (but then fiance) proposed to me, I was about 60-70 lbs. overweight and I had been dealing with my weight for all of my life. On December 7, 2009, I decided enough was enough. I didn't even tell my fiance that I was going to lose weight. Not that he wouldn't be supportive, but it was more that I had to this for ME. I set a goal to lose the weight before I did a 1/2 marathon 5 months later. For the 1st couple of weeks, my fiance didn't even know I had been using the treadmill until 1 day he came home early for lunch and there I was on the treadmill. I told him that I was doing this for me and guess what, do you know what he did? He got me a card saying that he was proud of me and that he supported me. That meant so much to me....Now, after that moment, I told my girlfriends what I was doing. They were very very supportive of me. Now, I tell you this because when my mom found out that I had run the 1/2 Marathon (she was at my house for my wedding 2 days later) she actually yelled at me for losing the weight without her and that it was my fault that she hadn't lost her weight. I tell you this because you need to find the people that will support you and be there for you NO MATTER WHAT. I hate that you're going through this time where you don't have people that support you, but WE DO. I wish I could give you a big hug and let you know that going through the pain of running, biking, swimming and all the sweat and sleep lost IS WORTH IT. After I got married, my mother disowned me and hasn't spoken to me since I got married. For a while, I got depressed and thought maybe she was right (about all the hurful things she said), but again, my husband supported me even when I put the weight back on so here I am again losing the weight. My husband asks me every day what exercise I have planned for the day and it makes me accountable. Please know that we here in this forum are your supporters and we believe in you. Any time you have a moment of self doubt, think back on us here rooting for you. WE BELIEVE IN YOU!!!! I hope these words help you.....

2012-01-15 9:18 PM

User image

New user

Joy,

Boy did your last message hit home...Two years ago, after my now husband (but then fiance) proposed to me, I was about 60-70 lbs. overweight and I had been dealing with my weight for all of my life. On December 7, 2009, I decided enough was enough. I didn't even tell my fiance that I was going to lose weight. Not that he wouldn't be supportive, but it was more that I had to this for ME. I set a goal to lose the weight before I did a 1/2 marathon 5 months later. For the 1st couple of weeks, my fiance didn't even know I had been using the treadmill until 1 day he came home early for lunch and there I was on the treadmill. I told him that I was doing this for me and guess what, do you know what he did? He got me a card saying that he was proud of me and that he supported me. That meant so much to me....Now, after that moment, I told my girlfriends what I was doing. They were very very supportive of me. Now, I tell you this because when my mom found out that I had run the 1/2 Marathon (she was at my house for my wedding 2 days later) she actually yelled at me for losing the weight without her and that it was my fault that she hadn't lost her weight. I tell you this because you need to find the people that will support you and be there for you NO MATTER WHAT. I hate that you're going through this time where you don't have people that support you, but WE DO. I wish I could give you a big hug and let you know that going through the pain of running, biking, swimming and all the sweat and sleep lost IS WORTH IT. After I got married, my mother disowned me and hasn't spoken to me since I got married. For a while, I got depressed and thought maybe she was right (about all the hurful things she said), but again, my husband supported me even when I put the weight back on so here I am again losing the weight. My husband asks me every day what exercise I have planned for the day and it makes me accountable. Please know that we here in this forum are your supporters and we believe in you. Any time you have a moment of self doubt, think back on us here rooting for you. WE BELIEVE IN YOU!!!! I hope these words help you.....

2012-01-15 9:36 PM
in reply to: #3991778

User image

Expert
C-bus

jmcgilvery - 2012-01-15 6:35 PM

Joy-  Depending on when your race is, you have 16 weeks or so.  I found this 10 week training plan online and this 12 week plan.  You can do a search and see what plans look good to you.  This training plan is strictly running. 

Things to think about:

How does this plan look to your current running ability?  Just right, too light or too heavy mileage-wise?

Where do your other races fall after the half marathon?  Will you need to adjust some runs with swimming and biking?

Let us know and we can tweak it to make it work!

Edited by sungirl919 2012-01-15 9:42 PM
2012-01-16 10:13 PM

New user

Hi Everybody! 

So I have decided to repeat an Ultimate Loser program that I did 3 years ago.  I weighed in tonight 40 pounds less now then when I started three years ago.  I know these triathlons have kept me on the path to wellness, although I recognize that it's far from over, and of utmost importance is figuring out how I can use races to meet my lifestyle goals. 

I have been religious about running every other day.  I maintain my long runs and pounds are coming off but slowly.  I am really bad about getting in strength training, so I have opted for this program again to get me into the habit of strength training, which I know will increase muscle mass and burn more calories, as well as help with Endurance sports.  If I complete the 8 week program, the gym membership will be free for the rest of the year.  Doesn't thrill me all that much, except they have a pool, which I need for swimming on a more regular basis.  My goal is to lose 15 pounds during the 8 week program. 8  Once I lose a total of 20 pounds more, I will pick my 1/2 marathon race and start training for that.  My first and only 1/2, I was improperly trained and injured.  That was a huge setback for me, and Iim trying to avoid that route.

Which brings me to my next comment.  I am just catching up on posts from the past few days.  I am sorry that you are having it rough, Joy!  I wanted to bring up Jeff Galloway's walk/ run program.  http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html  I also have his book:   Galloway's Book on Running  Since I started doing his method, I have been amazed at how much faster I can go, and longer - while staying injury free. 

Robin, I am sorry for your loss...you have a great attitude about it! 

2012-01-17 9:26 AM

Happy Tuesday to you all!  I hope that you are all off to a good week!  I had a 3 day hiatus of training for no reason other than the fact that I was BUSY!  My daughter had a gymnastics meet this weekend...which kept us running here and there.  Yesterday I took time to spend some quality time with my daughters and catch up on some house hold stuff.  I also started a graduate class!  Ugh!  Wish me luck!  I did manage to get up and ride for a half an hour today and I have a 4 and a half mile run planned for the morning.  Im getting there.  DId I mention that I lifeguard on Tuesday and Thursday mornings for a bunch of new triathletes that are learning to swim and getting ready for their first triathlons!  My brother runs the program.  He himself is training for Ironman Lake Placid.  This will be his second Ironman.  He did one 10 years ago in Panama City, but now he has a new focus and new reason to race. He races to get God's word out to people, it's like his own little ministry!  I am so proud of him!  He is such an inspiration!

Well I hope everyone is having a great week!  Happy training to you all!  

Here is a random question for the group:  What piece of training equipment or thing could you not live without?  

Blessings, Erika

2012-01-17 12:08 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Ooooh!  Erika!  Good question!  You might think this is a cop-out, but I'd say my running visor.  I use it every time I run and cycle indoors.  It keeps the sweat and hair and sun (when outside) out of my eyes. 

Has your brother heard of mulitsport ministries?  It's a nationwide men's tri team with the Gospel as its focus.  He should check it out if he hasn't already.  I've asked them about a sister group, but it doesn't exist yet...

2012-01-17 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3995147

Rob
2012-01-17 7:51 PM
in reply to: #3995147

Robin,

I am not sure if my brother has heard of Multisport Ministries, I will have to ask him and let him know about it if he hasn't heard of it.

I fogot to let everyone know what thing I couldn't leave home without when I am training and that is my ROAD ID.  I wear it everywhere, all the time.  I love it, and I have Philipians 4:13 on it which says in short, Christ is my strength, so it keeps me gong and keeps me motivated! 

Erika

Edited by erika0823 2012-01-17 7:55 PM
2012-01-17 7:59 PM
in reply to: #3996173

User image

Expert
C-bus
erika0823 - 2012-01-17 8:51 PM

Robin,

I am not sure if my brother has heard of Multisport Ministries, I will have to ask him and let him know about it if he hasn't heard of it.

I fogot to let everyone know what thing I couldn't leave home without when I am training and that is my ROAD ID.  I wear it everywhere, all the time.  I love it, and I have Philipians 4:13 on it which says in short, Christ is my strength, so it keeps me gong and keeps me motivated! 

Erika

Very important!!!!!!!!  To those of you who do not have one, it's a great tool!  There are many other items out there like it as well.  It's just a band that fits around your wrist (or ankle, like mine) that has your vital contact info.  That way, you don't have to take your license.  It's great to look into for valentine's day!!!!!!!!!!!!

-Can you tell I'm in indoor mode?  I completely forgot about it!

2012-01-18 6:07 PM

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI

Happy Wednesday everyone.  Sorry I haven't been here much.  After catching up on 4+ pages of posts, that seems to be a common thready lately.  Between the transmission going out on my SUV, working 10+ hours a day, 6 days a week, our home computer decided to crash.  We've finally got that back up and running, but it's been a fairly expensive month so far. 

I have somewhat been keeping up on some running and a couple trainer rides, but I'm still waiting on joining the local university's fitness center.  On top of the new transmission, computer, we're planning a trip to Disney in 4 weeks.  We probably wouldn't be going with all the expenses, but this was already reserved and paid for.  Oh well.

I have not yet signed up for any tri's yet, but I did sign up to do Warrior Dash in September.  Looking forward to that.  Should be an interesting couple weeks at the beginning of September, as my 2nd "A" race is the weekend following.

I've got maybe a half dozen runs in so far and do not have any knee pain in the one I had surgery, so I'm pretty happy about that.  The other knee, well, that's a different story...

Still have to work on my goals for the season, as well as plan my races.  Once I have the planned races set, I'll work on setting up my training plan.  Sorry to ramble, but I've missed being on here...

2012-01-18 8:08 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Kevin-

You'll LOVE the warrior dash!  Hy husband and I did it last year.  What a blast!  We signed up for hte following year the next day. 

*I tried to resize and post a pic, but it's rediculously difficult... 

2012-01-18 9:25 PM

New user

Hi everyone!

After my race on Sunday it has been hard to get back into the workout mode. Not to mention all the snow on the ground is making it hard to run outside so it is all treadmill for me. My next race is in 4 weeks so I better get back to it.

Where did everyone get their RoadID from? I have been thinking that this is something I should look into getting.

Lisa

2012-01-18 10:37 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

roadid.com

keep an eye out on BT.  When people get theirs, it comes with $1 or 10% off coupons that people post here.  (Not that they cost that much to begin with...)

2012-01-19 1:26 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Speaking of.....

here's  a coupon I found today on BT.  Enjoy!

road id coupon

2012-01-19 2:03 PM

New user
nice! Thanks for the coupon code. I will go check them out.

2012-01-20 8:55 AM

User image

New user

Hi All...I hope everyone is doing well. I feel like I haven't been on BT in forever. We have had so much snow and ice on the ground that it's made it near impossible to get out of the house. I have tried for 3 days to get to the gym to do my bike & swim workout and the gym has been closed each time I go by. My husband was lucky enough to get to the gym yesterday morning and got his workout in, but by 3 pm (when I got off to work and made it to the gym), they were closed again and they aren't opening today until 9 am and most likely they'll be closed again by the time I get off work today. So I decided instead of doing nothing yesterday that I would run on the treadmill at home. I don't do so well running on the ice/snow as that's how I broke my ankle 8 years ago. I enjoyed the run but it was hard to start the run as it was already late in the afternoon and I was tired, but I jumped on the treadmill, turned on the radio, and away I went. I hope no one is snowed in and that you're all doing well in your training. Thankfully I have a rest day today or I might become more frustrated with the gym being closed. I'm hoping they'll be open this weekend so I get in my swim & bike. Take care and have a safe weekend.
2012-01-20 9:05 AM

New user

I can relate. We have been snowed in all week so I have been running on the treadmill at home. It is driving me crazy. I actually think if I have to get on the treadmill again I might shoot myself Therefore, I am skipping my run today.

It is supposed to start raining here today, so I am hoping all the snow will be gone for my 16 km run tomorrow. I will NOT do that on the treadmill. UGH!!!

2012-01-20 4:24 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

It's fabulous Friday again!!!!  Time to celebrate your accomplishments from this week!  What did you do???

I surprised myself with my speed work on Thursday.  The week prior I couldn't do it.  This week I surpassed my goal and kicked it's butt!!!  (Now to make sure I don't get injured...)

This one's more important: I have been much better about going to bed at a reasonable time.  Usually right around midnight.  No more 2 am for me!!!!

For those of you stuck at home: send the snow this way!  We have had only 3 inches this winter.  We need more!!!!!!!!!

Have a great weekend!

2012-01-21 7:41 AM

User image

New user

Keller, TX

I finished week 3 of my half marathon training plan today with a 6.5 mile run.  That is actually the first time I've run farther than a 10k.  I guess I am on my way to a half! Laughing

As you all have been talking about your weather conditions, I have to fill you in a little on our Texas weather.  Thursday and Friday were absolutely beautiful.  You would have thought spring was here.  Yesterday it was 78 degrees!  This morning was another story.  I woke up to 32 degrees with a windchill of 24.  Makes me wish I had done my long run yesterday!  So in Texas, if you don't like the weather one day just blink and it will change.  Today will be in the 50's and then back into the 70's for next week! 

I hope you all have had a productive week!  I'm glad to have my run done for the day and now on to all the other things on my list!

Holly

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12