BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dirk's Junkie group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 68

2012-01-11 2:14 PM
in reply to: #3984183

User image

Veteran
Huntertown, IN
Subject: RE: Dirk's Junkie group - OPEN AND READY TO ROLL
wbayek - 2012-01-11 1:29 PM
abergdol - 2012-01-11 1:09 PM

Dirk, Warren, and David- Thank you for your imput.  Even though I am afraid to do it, I will trust your expertise and try to slow down for awhile.  Thanks for the wake-up call. 

But remember, you're not running easy for the sake of running easy, you're running easy for the sake of being able to run more.  The real goal is to get as much running in as possible.

Can you recommend how many times a week and what kind of mileage each time?

2012-01-11 2:35 PM
in reply to: #3984142

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Allison,

On the training pace question, I have found the recommendations from coach Jack Daniels to be pretty good.  He recommends the EASY pace for someone with your 5/10k PRs to be 9:37 per mile (9:30 would be a fine round number).  There is some room for flexibility on that, and since you've been running around 7.0-7.5mph on the treadmill, I would slow it down to at least 6.4 miles per hour for now.

As Warren is saying, this pace allows you to run much further with less physical stress.  It should both prevent injuries and result in a greater aerobic improvement.

For comparison, I have been running around 20:00 5k and expect to be around 19:00 right about now.  My training pace on the T-mill is 6.8-7.0mph.  I am training slower than you.

Also, when I was a 15:40 5k runner I trained at 8:00 pace on easy runs.  That's the pace you are running now.

As for your cramps today...that came on just as you started running.  I doubt the pace played a role in a cramp starting so early.  Something was off inside your body and it's possible it will never rear it's head again.

And I think I remember reading you ask about running pace relative to overall mileage.  If you are only going to run 5-10 miles per week, you can definitely pick up the pace because that volume is small.  Training load is a combination of the distance you run and the speed at which you run it.  There is a limit to the training load your body can handle before breaking down, or at least getting weaker.  That's why you can run little, but fast or run lots, but slow.

Running lots, but slow has dramatically better outcomes in regard to both injury prevention and race speeds, even over relatively short 5k distances.

2012-01-11 3:01 PM
in reply to: #3945020

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
http://www.everymantri.com/everyman_triathlon/2012/01/careless-slip... Not sure if the link above will work but you can copy and paste into the browser! Fits in well with the discussion about keeping a slow pace to reach high mileage! I would bet over 33 years of daily running, everything was at a slow pace!

Edited by mambos 2012-01-11 3:05 PM
2012-01-11 3:07 PM

User image

NH

Listen to everything Jeff says, he's gold.

And Allison, I'll add from my recent experience with this running stuff.  Jeff had me go to running 6 days a week, and I strongly urge you to try to get to that number.  At first many of my runs were 15 minutes, and I though he was crazy.  I was recovering from a year of Achilles and calf issues that would not go away.

Slowly add mileage and listen to your body.  Your pace should be slow, slow, slow enough to do the run every day and not feel like you need days off to recover.  The plan I'm loosely using is a 3:2:1 plan, where you run 6 times a week, 3 shorts, 2 mediums which are twice the short, and 1 long which is three times the short.  Don't up the total mileage to start, just spread it out.

2012-01-11 3:17 PM

User image

All this talk about a SLOW and STEADY training pace makes me want to say....welcome to my everyday world!

BRADY - Welcome! I can't conceive of a 2 hr commute every work day and trying to juggle kids and training. You have to be an excellent time manager! Your profile pic looks like your 20 - wow that you're 40.

MATT - Thanks for the confirmation on the HFP group. I won't tell your wife of your plan.

WARREN - Did you get on TV? It might have been out of your comfort zone but it's nice to know you were willing to be used to help others.

DAVID - All the wetsuits I own (shorty, sleeveless and full) were bought used on Ebay with no issues. I invested in each type only after I'd done my first summer tri and was hooked.

STAN - How'd the results of the MRI go? You mentioned you'd find out Tuesday if you'd be able to run again. Please let us know.

ALLISON - Thanks for the tip about the Old Navy fitness line. Didn't know they had one so I'll have to check it out. And I'd gotten a pair of the gloves with the keyhole for Christmas and they're great. Glad you'll try to put the Optimist tri on your calendar.

JONATHAN - Agree about the reflective gear being important with the darker hours on both sides of the day. I came upon a bike rider last week who had nothing but a little reflector on his pedals and it scared the begeebers out of me.

2012-01-11 3:17 PM
in reply to: #3984585

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

mambos - 2012-01-11 3:01 PM http://www.everymantri.com/everyman_triathlon/2012/01/careless-slip... Not sure if the link above will work but you can copy and paste into the browser! Fits in well with the discussion about keeping a slow pace to reach high mileage! I would bet over 33 years of daily running, everything was at a slow pace!

Matt, that's awesome.  Thanks for posting that.  It can be a challenge to run outside all winter in the snow belt.  I used to fall once or twice a year and thought that was pretty impressive considering many of those runs were in the dark too.

I tried to get a year long streak in high school.  I had what I was sure would become an injury if I didn't take time off.  I made it 11 months then needed to take 1 day off.  Since it turned out to be fine with only 1 day off, I keep wondering if I couldn't have tried to ease my way through it.

2012-01-11 3:48 PM

User image

NH
Matt, that link is nuts.  47 years for the record guy.  Crazy.  I have a buddy who's on 8 years, and I thought he was crazy.  Well, he IS crazy, but that's another story.  But 47 years, wow.
2012-01-11 4:11 PM

User image

Wow, Matt. I never knew there was such a record. Impressive.

Quick question - who of you wears an aero helmet? I hear they're well worth the investment but don't know. What type do you have and would you recommend it?
2012-01-11 4:17 PM
in reply to: #3984751

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

bswcpa - 2012-01-11 4:11 PM  Quick question - who of you wears an aero helmet? I hear they're well worth the investment but don't know. What type do you have and would you recommend it?

I wear one in races (never in training!  That looks silly).

I have a Rudy Project Wingspan.

They are well worth it, if you are serious enough about triathlon to be willing to spend $ for an extra 40-60 seconds.  The actual amount gained over a road helmet is dependent on the length of the race and to some extent the exact riding position you have on your bike.  But it's universally agreed that it's the best bang for the buck when 'buying' speed.

2012-01-11 4:27 PM

User image

Unfortunately for me, Jeff, the Wingspan has only one size to fit 21.25" on up. My head measures 20.5" so I don't think it'd fit right.
2012-01-11 4:41 PM
in reply to: #3984699

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

My winter running gear has been similar to Warrens but I don't really run in shorts once it's in the mid 40's because there's almost always a fair breeze blowing and not a lot of shelter from it.  After that it's almost exactly the same.

I hadn't heard of Old Navy's tech gear but I may check it out.  I had a tech shirt at one time but it was loose fitting and I can't run more than 5 miles with loose shirts.  I still have kind of big pecs and, well, a certain area will tend to bleed with loose shirts.

As Jonathon said too, reflectivity is vitally important if running or riding on the road at night.  Personally I won't ride in the dark.  Too many people don't pay attention when they are driving and you can't guard against that, especially in the dark.  For running though, I wear 3 lights; a flashing white light facing the front, a brilliant red strip light on my right upper arm facing the front and side and finally the same type of strip light on my lower leg at the knee joint facing the rear and I wear reflective gear as well.

Allison,  I agree with Jeffs advice on the pace.  Slow and steady wins the race, especially right now.  You are just now getting back into running and that is why it is so important to go slow.  When running fast you are creating a lot more stress on your body that it may not be ready to handle.  Besides, if I remember correctly, you want to lose a few more pounds and the slower pace will burn more calories.  I am not sure if Jeff would agree here, but running fast right now for you could create the injuries you are going to want to avoid.  I only point this out because I believe you are just starting to get back into running again.  Take your time and build a base first, then you can move on to faster paces.

You had also asked about how many miles a week to run.  That is relative to what you are trying to accomplish.  If you want to do a HIM in late summer you have plenty of time to build a base.  With an Oly in your plans you could get by with 12-15 mpw over 3-4 runs.  (Personally I would want to run more because I'm dumb that way.  I would rather run 20-25 most of the time.)  That would be enough to get you through the race.

Brenda, no aero helmet for me yet.  I have to slowly build my tri gear arsenal because of budget issues.  Unless you can teach me how to cheat the government out of a few extra bucks. LOL

2012-01-11 5:28 PM

User image

Haha, Dirk. No cheaters allowed. My policy is "aggressive but not abusive". I want to be able to sleep at night.

Recently my sweet hubby gave me "X" amount of money to spend on my tri passion. I've been riding a road bike and wanted a tri bike. I plan on getting faster and want to take the top AG podium spot in the Optimist tri at some point. That may be when I'm 60 and the oldest woman doing it but still..... I found a practically new 2009 Cervelo P3C on craigslist for a great price. It arrived last week and is an absolute thing of beauty. Adding a professional bike fitting (Peloton in Ft. Wayne), race wheels and an aero helmet would just about take care of it. I'm narrowing down my race wheels but I'm getting a headache thinking about it so that's why I'm switching my question to the aero helmet. I'd need size small and there's quite a bit of them out there on Ebay for reduced prices but without the opportunity to try them on. I know everyone's head is different but figured the Junkie group might have opinions.

2012-01-11 5:40 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
bswcpa - 2012-01-11 5:11 PMWow, Matt. I never knew there was such a record. Impressive.Quick question - who of you wears an aero helmet? I hear they're well worth the investment but don't know. What type do you have and would you recommend it?
Yup, I have one and I have no idea if it makes a difference. I know if I can tuck my head down in line with my shoulders and back it makes a huge difference. I have an LG SUPERLEGERRA. It is comfortable...It gets great wind tunnel results.

Edited by jgerbodegrant 2012-01-11 5:43 PM
2012-01-11 6:07 PM

User image

NH

bswcpa - 2012-01-11 5:11 PM Wow, Matt. I never knew there was such a record. Impressive. Quick question - who of you wears an aero helmet? I hear they're well worth the investment but don't know. What type do you have and would you recommend it?

I don't have one though I have read/heard as Jeff said best aero bang for the buck.  I have a weird internal rule that I won't get one until I have a TT bike, and tri money is limited so it could be quite a while.

2012-01-11 8:07 PM
in reply to: #3980251

User image

Veteran
Huntertown, IN
[
bswcpa - 2012-01-09 2:56 PM JONATHAN - You make me laugh. You're absolutely right about signing up for a race gets one motivated. And I'm to the point of frustration with my swim - having dumped hundreds of dollars at coaches and videos, etc and not seeing any speed improvement. I'm into year 6 of trying to get faster and it just ain't happinin'. The funny thing is, once I force myself to get to the pool, I really, really enjoy swimming. I'm just sooooo slow. Valentine's Day challenge....hmmmm.....isn't that a day for eating chocolates and eating dinner out? But OK, you're ON! Congratulations, BTW on being picked for the W Ink Elite tri team. Impressive!! JOHN - Welcome! Great job on quitting smoking! You're a champion already!

Brenda, I think we both know that EVERY DAY is a day for eating chocolate...but we gotta do it.  So here's the deal...you don't have to tell me your weight.  Let's say both of us weighs 10 lbs and we need to get to 5 by valentine's day.  Update every week.  Sound fair?  This will keep me honest.

I'm hoping it's not too late to get in on this Valentine's Day challenge.  I would like to do it too!

2012-01-11 8:18 PM
in reply to: #3984762

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD
JeffY - 2012-01-11 5:17 PM

They are well worth it, if you are serious enough about triathlon to be willing to spend $ for an extra 40-60 seconds.  The actual amount gained over a road helmet is dependent on the length of the race and to some extent the exact riding position you have on your bike.  But it's universally agreed that it's the best bang for the buck when 'buying' speed.

I've heard they are excellent, but only if you have good form. If you flap your arms like a bird that just fell from the nest (as I do) a fancy helmet won't do you any good!! 

2012-01-11 9:28 PM
in reply to: #3985127

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
abergdol - 2012-01-11 9:07 PM [
bswcpa - 2012-01-09 2:56 PM JONATHAN - You make me laugh. You're absolutely right about signing up for a race gets one motivated. And I'm to the point of frustration with my swim - having dumped hundreds of dollars at coaches and videos, etc and not seeing any speed improvement. I'm into year 6 of trying to get faster and it just ain't happinin'. The funny thing is, once I force myself to get to the pool, I really, really enjoy swimming. I'm just sooooo slow. Valentine's Day challenge....hmmmm.....isn't that a day for eating chocolates and eating dinner out? But OK, you're ON! Congratulations, BTW on being picked for the W Ink Elite tri team. Impressive!! JOHN - Welcome! Great job on quitting smoking! You're a champion already!

Brenda, I think we both know that EVERY DAY is a day for eating chocolate...but we gotta do it.  So here's the deal...you don't have to tell me your weight.  Let's say both of us weighs 10 lbs and we need to get to 5 by valentine's day.  Update every week.  Sound fair?  This will keep me honest.

I'm hoping it's not too late to get in on this Valentine's Day challenge.  I would like to do it too!

Not too late.  Wednesday is officially weigh-in day.  We have one week to lose something!

Edited by jgerbodegrant 2012-01-11 9:28 PM
2012-01-11 9:41 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

Anybody that knows how to sew need some arm warmers?  These are like new, but the upper seams are coming apart.  Nothing broken...just the thread that holds the seam together at the upper arm.  They are free for the taking.

2012-01-11 10:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

I went from having a great training week last week, right into a life forced taper week.  This is the reason I never schedule a taper week, something always creates it for me!  I had to cut my Tuesday run short, missed todays bike session completely now I am hoping the fuse doesn't get lit tomorrow so I can return to normal!  And who ever said the Japanese companies have perfected the concept of Lean manufacturing, needs to spend a day with me.

Ohh so much Chaos!!!

2012-01-12 6:31 AM
in reply to: #3985266

User image

NH
jgerbodegrant - 2012-01-11 10:41 PM

Anybody that knows how to sew need some arm warmers?  These are like new, but the upper seams are coming apart.  Nothing broken...just the thread that holds the seam together at the upper arm.  They are free for the taking.

I'll take them. My wife can fix anything related to thread.

2012-01-12 7:10 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Cool...pm me your address.

2012-01-12 7:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Urbana, MD

Morning everyone - just checking in. Did my first swim workout of the year this morning. Breathing - good, muscle strength - not so much. I was practicing trying to breathe on both sides because I struggled with that last year.

On another note - apparently you folks from NH are the 6th fittest state in the country according to MapMyRun's Fittest of the Fit survey:

http://www.mapmyrun.com/intel/fittest_of_the_fit/top/states/6/

I thought you'd be happy to see that!

John

2012-01-12 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3985566

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
guitarfrk75 - 2012-01-12 8:26 AM

Morning everyone - just checking in. Did my first swim workout of the year this morning. Breathing - good, muscle strength - not so much. I was practicing trying to breathe on both sides because I struggled with that last year.

On another note - apparently you folks from NH are the 6th fittest state in the country according to MapMyRun's Fittest of the Fit survey:

John

That's awesome!

As far as the swimming goes...I completely agree with that John.  I will be at the pool again tonight, but just getting back into it, my arms, elbows, shoulders...all tired within a couple hundred yards.  It will get better.  I personally took too much time off.  I'm glad to be back at it though.

2012-01-12 8:45 AM
in reply to: #3985666

User image

NH
jgerbodegrant - 2012-01-12 9:03 AM
guitarfrk75 - 2012-01-12 8:26 AM

John

That's awesome!

As far as the swimming goes...I completely agree with that John.  I will be at the pool again tonight, but just getting back into it, my arms, elbows, shoulders...all tired within a couple hundred yards.  It will get better.  I personally took too much time off.  I'm glad to be back at it though.

Awesome news for NH.  Hard to believe when you're out in public though.  The rest of the country must be pretty bad.

John, I agree that it's important to breath on both sides for lots of reasons, so keep at it.  Oddly, it's just how I breath naturally when I swim.

As far as muscle strength while swimming, I admittedly don't do much swim training, in fact, close to none all last year or over the winter.  But I do various kettlebell exercises and pullups pretty much year round.  When I do swim, I don't feel limited by muscle strength at all.  I'm guessing the limited strength training I do helps.

2012-01-12 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3985248

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
jgerbodegrant - 2012-01-11 9:28 PM

Not too late.  Wednesday is officially weigh-in day.  We have one week to lose something!

Jonathan, you're killing me!  On the 9th you issued the 5lb challenge, so I started and had lost the 5lbs by yesterday.  (when you posted this)...so i find out that I already did all the work before the official weigh-in that starts the weight loss!

So now I have to lose another 5lbs!?!?!  Well, I've already lost 2 more lbs since yesterday so I suppose I can make it by Valentine's ... just quit moving the target on me.  I don't want to be 150lbs!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dirk's Junkie group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 68