BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 34

2012-01-09 3:52 PM
in reply to: #3947465

User image

Lake Forest, CA
Subject: RE: Scott's Mentor Group-Closed

I hope everybody had a fun and productive weekend.

For me: Saturday was my off day so just a leisurely trail ride with the wife and son.  Yesterday was a 12.75 mile road ride along the beautiful Newport Beach coast. Today I did my short run (26 min.) and had another very good pace.  This evening is my short swim and I may try to do some sets rather than just swim for 26 min.

Just for fun, what’s everybody listening to during their training recently?  Me?  Boston and ZZ Top.

Have a great day

Craiger

2012-01-09 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3979951

User image

Veteran

nicoleg - 2012-01-09 1:19 PM I was wondering if you guys might weigh in on something for me. I am in the middle of planning a running race as a charity benefit. It's a 1 mile time trial run on an indoor track in March, which makes it a bit of a limited field to begin with. The committee met today and decided against settting up a website at all which unfortunately leaves out online registration, so all registrants will have to mail in an application. I wasn't at the meeting and I realize that since the race is only a few months away it maybe can't happen in the time we have but I'm really worried it will have a big negative impact on the race. So my question is, would any of you sign up for a race you couldn't register for online?

I have no problem mailing a check for a race I want to partake - the only issue is you will have to rely more on word of mouth or handing out fliers to get participation.  May be a little rough for a first event.

2012-01-09 4:24 PM

User image

Veteran

Today hit the gym and did 20 minutes on the bike doing hill intervals (setting 10) for 25 minutes ... then hit stairmaster for 22 minutes also at level 10 ...  headed home and did P90x chest and back ...

Slated for a 4 mile run tomorrow at race pace - and then a Plyometrics work out ... hope it is not too cold.

Question for the BIKE focused guys here - is it better to just ride my bike on my trainer or hit the gym and plug in a program - I relaize the geometry of the bike is not the same but sometimes I feel I get a better workout on the bike at the gym then on my trainer. 

2012-01-09 5:19 PM
in reply to: #3979951

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT

nicoleg - 2012-01-09 1:19 PM I was wondering if you guys might weigh in on something for me. I am in the middle of planning a running race as a charity benefit. It's a 1 mile time trial run on an indoor track in March, which makes it a bit of a limited field to begin with. The committee met today and decided against settting up a website at all which unfortunately leaves out online registration, so all registrants will have to mail in an application. I wasn't at the meeting and I realize that since the race is only a few months away it maybe can't happen in the time we have but I'm really worried it will have a big negative impact on the race. So my question is, would any of you sign up for a race you couldn't register for online?

I have done it for the Stowe triathlon.  But they also were able to advertise via Trifind.com  I don't think the way in which you accept money is a problem, as long as you allow for race day registration.  Where your challenge will be is in getting the word out.  You've already got one.  I'm in.  

2012-01-09 5:22 PM
in reply to: #3980454

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
craiger951 - 2012-01-09 4:52 PM

Just for fun, what’s everybody listening to during their training recently?  Me?  Boston and ZZ Top.

Mostly the sound of my own breathing, but I did watch the 4th quarter and ot of the football game last night while on the trainer.  My power output shot well past my target for a minute during and after that play by Tebow.  

2012-01-09 5:26 PM
in reply to: #3980521

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
BigPaulD - 2012-01-09 5:24 PM

Today hit the gym and did 20 minutes on the bike doing hill intervals (setting 10) for 25 minutes ... then hit stairmaster for 22 minutes also at level 10 ...  headed home and did P90x chest and back ...

Slated for a 4 mile run tomorrow at race pace - and then a Plyometrics work out ... hope it is not too cold.

Question for the BIKE focused guys here - is it better to just ride my bike on my trainer or hit the gym and plug in a program - I relaize the geometry of the bike is not the same but sometimes I feel I get a better workout on the bike at the gym then on my trainer. 

P90X plyo is no joke.  Tell sister Mary Catherine I say hello.  As far as the bike goes.  The ideal is doing focused work on the trainer as opposed to just riding.  However, if you feel that the bikes at the gym are giving you a better workout now, do those for a bit.  Mix in some trainer rides as well.  Ultimately whatever gets you riding hard will help you improve.  That's just my 2 cents though.  

2012-01-09 5:52 PM
in reply to: #3980633

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area
rsmoylan - 2012-01-09 6:22 PM
craiger951 - 2012-01-09 4:52 PM

Mostly the sound of my own breathing, but I did watch the 4th quarter and ot of the football game last night while on the trainer.  My power output shot well past my target for a minute during and after that play by Tebow.  

I'm with Scott. I used to run with music from time to time and I do enjoy it but am used to training without. I gave it up completely last winter when we had so much snow that there was barely any shoulder on the road and running outside was dangerous enough without losing one of my senses. I've come to enjoy the quiet and solitude. It's not for everyone and I do get bored at times, then I recite spanish and french verbs in my head. Weird, I know, I do it in the pool too, though and it helps me stay focused.

2012-01-09 5:55 PM
in reply to: #3980627

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany/Saratoga, NY area
rsmoylan - 2012-01-09 6:19 PM

I have done it for the Stowe triathlon.  But they also were able to advertise via Trifind.com  I don't think the way in which you accept money is a problem, as long as you allow for race day registration.  Where your challenge will be is in getting the word out.  You've already got one.  I'm in.  

Thanks, Scott and BigPaul. Scott, I'm glad your in and you won't have to mail yours. It will be March 17th if you want to put it on your calendar. I appreciate the input and will stop hijacking the thread now.

2012-01-09 6:14 PM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
Nicole: I have no problem getting payment for a race via old school methods ... as long as I know about it and it's something I want to do. As has been stated. I think it's best if you allow for race day registration.

BigPaul: I don't listen to anything while working out. And I ride my bike on the trainer (the replacement was shipped today!!!). But I do them to the Sufferfest workouts (thesufferfest.com) and they have some pretty good music. I run without music, though.

Just home from 2300 in the pool. Now it's time to strap on the feedbag.
2012-01-09 7:07 PM

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa, New York
Back at it today with a hard bike session this morning. I am following Jorge's winter cycling program found here on BT and it is tough! I had to move everything a couple of weeks forward since I hadn't really trained in two weeks. My first day back on the bike and I had the 6x4' intervals at max effort. I completed the workout but it wasn't my best result. The sad part is  that it takes so long to build up to a solid fitness level and only a couple of weeks to loose it. I'm sure I'll get it back pretty quick though. I'm just glad I'm finally feeling better!! Back to the pool tomorrow night! 
2012-01-09 7:40 PM
in reply to: #3980791

User image

Veteran
Brunswick, Georgia

Evening newbies and pioneers!

Hope everyone had a good day! Went for a 40 minute run/walk today. I did a run 6/walk 4. It is a little embarrassing but it has been 4-5 years since I ran anywhere. Again, it felt good to be outside in the fresh air at 47 degrees and sunny. 

I then did a light lifting exercise. Tomorrow is going to be a nice 400 yd swim. Again, embarrassing but I got to start somewhere!!

2012-01-09 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3980791

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT

TimX3 - 2012-01-09 8:07 PM Back at it today with a hard bike session this morning. I am following Jorge's winter cycling program found here on BT and it is tough! I had to move everything a couple of weeks forward since I hadn't really trained in two weeks. My first day back on the bike and I had the 6x4' intervals at max effort. I completed the workout but it wasn't my best result. The sad part is  that it takes so long to build up to a solid fitness level and only a couple of weeks to loose it. I'm sure I'll get it back pretty quick though. I'm just glad I'm finally feeling better!! Back to the pool tomorrow night! 

Congrats on getting better.  6x4' makes me want to cry.  Great workout to come back to.  

2012-01-10 5:45 AM
in reply to: #3980844

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
ahutson - 2012-01-09 8:40 PM

E Went for a 40 minute run/walk today. I did a run 6/walk 4. It is a little embarrassing but it has been 4-5 years since I ran anywhere. Again, it felt good to be outside in the fresh air at 47 degrees and sunny.

Embarrassing is skipping your workout to sleep in or sit on the couch. You're out there and you're making gains. Keep at it!!

Tim: I'm not looking forward to that first week or two on the bike. It will have been nearly 3 weeks without my trainer by the time it arrives. Mommy.

Good morning peeps!

Ran just over 5 this morning at a general aerobic pace. Still plenty of ice on the bike path I'm using to make things interesting. More swimming will happen tonight after work.

My family is very good to me. I have one shower all to myself and I have a drying rack inside it so I can store all my workout clothes. I'm thankful to have a very accommodating family in so many ways ... they wait until 7pm most nights to eat ... support me at all my events ... etc. Makes it so much easier.

2012-01-10 7:51 AM

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
Good morning!  Had a hard swim this morning.  3000 yds.  I also have my 20 min power test this evening. (shuttering)  Busy day of work today.  Will check in later.  Have a great day and train smart.  
2012-01-10 10:29 AM
in reply to: #3980844

User image

Lake Forest, CA
ahutson - 2012-01-09 5:40 PM

Hope everyone had a good day! Went for a 40 minute run/walk today. I did a run 6/walk 4. It is a little embarrassing but it has been 4-5 years since I ran anywhere. Again, it felt good to be outside in the fresh air at 47 degrees and sunny. 

Ahutson,

+100 on what BernardDogs said!  Never be embarrassed.  Someone once told me “there is always somebody stronger and faster than you and there will always be someone slower and weaker than you, forget about it”. 

You are already an inspiration to others, people on this thread and people in your neighborhood who’ve been thinking about starting and have seen you out training.

From one beginner to another, keep at it.  If you’re like me you’ll likely see some nice gains in your performance in weeks two and three.

Busy day at work for me with lots of meetings.  Will have to hit the pool for 44 minutes after work which is the hardest time mentally for me to train.  I’ve packed by pool bag so I can go straight to the pool after work.  I’ve learned that if I go home first, it is likely that I won’t go back out.

Have a great day.

2012-01-10 11:28 AM
in reply to: #3981799

User image

Regular
Saipan, MP
craiger951 - 2012-01-10 11:29 AM
ahutson - 2012-01-09 5:40 PM

Ahutson,

+100 on what BernardDogs said!  Never be embarrassed.  Someone once told me “there is always somebody stronger and faster than you and there will always be someone slower and weaker than you, forget about it”. 

You are already an inspiration to others, people on this thread and people in your neighborhood who’ve been thinking about starting and have seen you out training.

From one beginner to another, keep at it.  If you’re like me you’ll likely see some nice gains in your performance in weeks two and three.

Hear, hear!  Great job on getting out there and sticking to your workout!

Did some elliptical machine today to rest the knees, and some deep back stretching.  Hoping to get to run again tomorrow.

Question: For the next 4 weeks, time is quite limited (right now, I only get 30-45 minutes at the gym) should I drop lifting in favor of focusing on bike/run/swim, or still try to balance it all?

How critical is strength training?  I love doing it, and feel like it's great not just for strength, but also helps my knees and back.  But the few training programs I've glanced at don't include strength training. 

2012-01-10 1:32 PM
in reply to: #3981917

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
Veggie Kate - 2012-01-10 12:28 PM 

Question: For the next 4 weeks, time is quite limited (right now, I only get 30-45 minutes at the gym) should I drop lifting in favor of focusing on bike/run/swim, or still try to balance it all?

How critical is strength training?  I love doing it, and feel like it's great not just for strength, but also helps my knees and back.  But the few training programs I've glanced at don't include strength training. 

Since I've tried to get in time for all 3 endeavors, I've not been doing any weight work. I barely find enough time for a few short core sessions. When I budget my time, I prioritize the SBR time ... and just don't have any left over for the weights. I suppose I could find some time for a session on Saturday and Sunday, but those are my long ride and long run days, and I've usually used up my drive to workout by the time I finish.

I hate to let it go, as I feel I'm a more balanced runner when I can get in some decent weight work. I'm sort of hoping that my time in the pool is providing me with enough right now. 

2012-01-10 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3981917

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT
Veggie Kate - 2012-01-10 12:28 PM 

Kate, 

That all depends on your goals and your personal preference.  Most people will include some weigh/core work into their routines because it brings them overall better fitness.  Some very knowledgeable people on this site recommend that if you want to get better at swim/bike/run (sbr) then that's where your time should be focused.  Most studies show that weight training does not really help with swim, bike and run fitness, but it does help with overall fitness.  So there you have it.  Clear as mud right?  

I have more to say about it, but my hands are actually shaking from my 20 min test this evening.  I'll talk more about it tomorrow.  Hope this helps a little.

2012-01-10 7:31 PM

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont
I'm assuming that was the Trainer Road test, Scott? I'm looking forward to it. My new trainer is scheduled to arrive tomorrow and I'll probably take a week to get my legs back before tackling that thing.

But I'm in a similar state after tonight's swim workout. I actually posted about it in the main discussion thread, as my form really broke down toward the end, resulting in some questions. I grabbed a buoy to finish the set, but wonder if I should have pushed on through and struggled a bit more to hold my form together. 
2012-01-10 8:47 PM

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa, New York

Back from the pool. I haven't been there since December 20th so it has been a little while. Managed to get in 2300 yards total. I kept things pretty simple with a 500 yard warm up followed by 28 x 50's and a 400 yard cool down. I took some advice from that Joel Filliol "20 Tips for Faster Triathlon Swimming" that Scott had posted earlier. I liked much of the tips on there and even tried the drill with the band. I must admit that I didn't get very far with it. Having that inner tube around your ankles is extremely difficult. My legs started sinking immediately! I would like to learn more about how that drill is done or actually see someone using it.

Traveling to NJ for work in the morning. Have a good night all. 

TB

2012-01-10 8:55 PM
in reply to: #3982846

User image

Regular
Ballston Spa, New York

BernardDogs - 2012-01-10 8:31 PM I'm assuming that was the Trainer Road test, Scott? I'm looking forward to it. My new trainer is scheduled to arrive tomorrow and I'll probably take a week to get my legs back before tackling that thin

But I'm in a similar state after tonight's swim workout. I actually posted about it in the main discussion thread, as my form really broke down toward the end, resulting in some questions. I grabbed a buoy to finish the set, but wonder if I should have pushed on through and struggled a bit more to hold my form together. 

Troy-

I think Scott is referring to Jorge's Power Based winter cycling program here on BT. The test consists of riding all out as hard as you can for 20 minutes. You use the results from your power meter to combine with another test which is 5 minutes all out to determine what they call your Critical Power. Your future workouts are then based on a percentage of that number with the goal being to increase your results. So you end up repeating that test every few weeks. It's really brutal! 

As far as your swim question goes my thought would have been to try to maintain your form and just push through to finish your set the best you can. I have the same problem so what I end up doing is really fighting to hold it together but that is what is going to help you build your endurance over the long run. A pull buoy is a great tool for helping developing your stroke but it should be used as a crutch. 

2012-01-10 9:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Brunswick, Georgia

Evening, everyone!

I love reading how everyone's warm-up/cool down is my workout! I started training last Monday and did 3 pool sessions in the last 8 days. My first day, I just swam for 15 minutes the best I could. My mid week session consisted of seeing how many laps I could do before I felt 'it'. I lost count. My third session Saturday I planned to swim 400yards (length of my first race distance) and I had to get creative to finish. I did 500 yards tonight and felt good!!!! I couldn't believe it! I wouldn't think a week would do much but it was a night and day difference on how my body felt! I was excited. I need to learn how to kick off the wall but right now I hold on for a few seconds  

I have a brick planned for tomorrow with a light weight lifting (high reps with less weight). I am trying to do 3-4 wl sessions a week. We're supposed to have rain/snow the rest of the week so might have to move it all inside. 

Hope everyone had a good day!

75 days to first race!

Edited by ahutson 2012-01-10 10:05 PM
2012-01-10 10:15 PM

User image

Lake Forest, CA

Looks like a lot of good work by all early on this week.

I hit the pool tonight to try some "sets" for the first time.  Over the year I've supplemented my exercise routine with some swimming from time to time but I’ve always just swum laps.

Tonight I swam 1,600y.  400 WU, 8x100 sets followed by 400 cool down.  I felt like I got a better work out than just swimming the 1,600.  Tomorrow is my medium run day.

Ahutson- congrats on your swimming today.  Isn’t it great to see improvement?  

Well done all!

Sleep fast!

2012-01-11 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3983129

User image

Master
Burlington, Vermont

Ahhh ... that makes sense. Thanks Tim. I haven't really even looked at Jorge's stuff. I've been enjoying sufferfest too much. I've not had virtual power set up, but will once my Fluid 2 arrives (should be today). I'll probably just use the Trainer Road 20 minute FTP test. 

And thanks for the feedback on the swim! I really need to improve my kick, as it's definitely holding me back.

ahutson: I was a COMPLETE hack in the pool when I started with Masters Swim in October. Seriously ... a complete hack. I couldn't go 25 yds without being completely out of breath. I wasn't paying attention to the clock or what the rest of the team was doing during practice. I'd just move through the workout that coach posted at my own pace, taking as much time as I needed in between sets. I would substitute breast stroke to finish some of the sets, as I was much more comfortable with it.

After about 2 months of that ... with as much intervention as my coach could give me for form, given that he had an entire team to manage ... I began paying attention to the timed sets and staying with the rest of the team for as long as I could. I go 3 or 4 times a week ... I prefer 4, as I can tell a big difference in lost gains from week to week if I'm not consistent. Stay with it!!

2012-01-11 8:29 AM
in reply to: #3982846

User image

Master
Essex Jct, VT

BernardDogs - 2012-01-10 8:31 PM I'm assuming that was the Trainer Road test, Scott? I'm looking forward to it. My new trainer is scheduled to arrive tomorrow and I'll probably take a week to get my legs back before tackling that thing.

I am actually doing Jorge's winter training plan.  I cannot say enough good things about this program.  

Jorge Martinez is a Triathlon Coach, his business is E3 Training Solutions.  Jorge wrote a 16 week cycling program that is free on BT.  I know many of us in the group are already following a plan, but if you are not it would definitely be worth while to look into this program.  It is not easy, but it will make you faster.  

Troy,  I do use Trainer Road to record all of my workouts, plus I like the metric feedback while riding.  I plug my laptop into my TV and I get a great big screen of my ride.  Dorky to some, boring to most, but I like it.  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scott's Mentor Group-Closed Rss Feed  

of 34