General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2013-02-02 7:30 PM
in reply to: #4602255

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
julio26pt2 - 2013-01-30 10:53 PM

Thanks for the swim tips!!!  I'm going to study the Swim Smooth website and after talking with some coaches, I've decided to sign up for the swim class at Chicago Endurance Sports.  Hopefully, I can get things where they should be.  Did a solid 1,500 yards last night and my legs were pretty sore today.  Probably shouldn't have gone so far this early, but I just kind of wanted to see if I could do it before training started in a week and a half.. 

Today's rumination:

I am definitely going to do Racine in July and am trying to decide between the Rockford or the Pleasant Prairie Tri olys in June...  Racine is a week later of where Fink recommends doing a half, but I think I can fudge things around to make it work...  Something about Muncie the week before just seemed like too far to go for a race that will surely be hot and was cut short the year before.  Plus the shirts from Racine look cooler with the sailboat.  And I like blue..

I'm just too excited about Wisconsin!  My friends/co-workers are probably tired of hearing me talk about it, but I'm in super-planning mode right now, so it's pretty-much dominating my mind.

Yay that the race is officially full!  And congratulations to everyone who got in!! 

/end rumination...

edit:  accidentally a word...

Swimming. You will get there. Be consistent. We were all beginners at one time. You could ask around the local Tri clubs for someone who does swim lessons. I know I am always willing to help people if they want it. You will have so much fun at WI. It is a fabulous day. The course is amazing, and the volunteers take such good care of you all day long.

2013-02-07 10:26 PM
in reply to: #4414876

User image

Veteran

Even though I’m not really racing this year I still enjoy
training even if it’s to a lesser degree than last year. But to be quite frank
this past week has SUCKED!!!! It does not help that I’ve spent the last five
days sick with some nasty GI bug. So here’s how my week has gone so far:

Monday: Puked after two miles on the run

Tuesday: Collapsed in the gym (thank God no one saw me!)

Wednesday: Couldn’t pull myself out of bed to do a workout

Thursday: Got REALLY dizzy on the bike and had to stop after
just 30 minutes. Took me about four hours to recover. Tried the bike again and
barely made it through 45 minutes

Tomorrow (Friday) Hope to get a run in, if nothing more than
just to feel like I actually got some sort of workout in.

This is soooo depressing!!! I HATE being sick.

2013-02-12 5:17 AM

Hey, fellow racers!

How's everyone's training going?  Feels like race day is just around the corner.  The days are getting longer and before we know it, spring will be here.

My training effort has been a bit inconsistent lately, especially in the running department.  Has anyone had to manage the pain associated with a Morton's Neuroma? If so, what gave you relief?  The podiatrist I saw last week gave me metatarsal pads that will lift and separate the two afflicted toes.  I will try them out today and see if I can manage a pain-free or at least less painful run. Not running is worrying me especially since I have a marathon on the calendar for late June and a HIM in early June.

2013-02-12 6:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Training is going well here still. Decided to take today off after waking up for a morning run and my legs and right knee just ache so I decided a nice recovery day was in order. That means a trip to the local bike shop to look at the little Trek we are going to buy for our 2.5 year old.

Had a great 1 hour workout last night at our local bike shop on the trainer. I swear I have never sweated that much on a trainer before. It was disgusting and GLORIOUS! Haha. I am so ready for warm weather it isn't even funny. Once it gets clear and up to the 50's on a day off I am driving up to Madison to ride the course. Maybe that will happen in March I hope. We were out last year in mid-late March riding the roads pretty normally due too the warm spring.
2013-02-14 9:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
Okay, week 1 of Fink is off to a start!!  But I was getting sooooo tired mid-week.  The pool at work is closed this week from Wed-Fri for a competition, so I had to get my workouts done Mon & Tues.  This came after a pretty intense weekend, so I didn't give myself time to recover.  Plus, though I've been building a pretty good base, I haven't done 2-a-days in a long time, so that's been kind of a shocker to the system.  Add to that that I realize I haven't been eating enough (and forgot to eat lunch on Tuesday) made for a tired Julio....  Tuesday night I just ran out of gas and passed out about 8:00pm.. (wow, so much going on when I write it out like that)  Time to really take a hard look at nutrition to make sure I'm doing this right..  I've decided it's time to get a toaster for my desk as it's time to incorporate more Pop Tarts and bagels into my life.  
2013-02-14 7:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Just an FYI everyone around Chicago land. A group is putting on a swim critique clinic late Sunday in Lemont I believe. Go to the Illinois forum on here for the link. I have to work that day but I guess they will video tape you underwater and give you a copy with advice on what you are doing wrong.

2013-02-15 1:31 PM

New user

Alexandria, MN

Hello everyone,

I am just wondering how the registration process went for everyone as I am looking to do IMWI in 2014. I do not think i will get there to volunteer, am I safe to assume if I am online right away that I should get a spot? Also if anyone has done this race before it is driving me crazy, What do you do with your wetsuit after the run? Thanks for any comments

2013-02-15 1:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)

I registered in person, so can't be much help for online registration.  But I do know it went online and sold out pretty quick.  The foundation slots just recently sold out (they're twice as much as regular registration).

After the swim, you're wetsuit goes snuggly in the bag you used for your swim-to-bike gear.  Take out helmet, shoes, etc..  Replace with your towel, wetsuit, goggles, etc..  Easy peasy...

I suggest that if you can, find an event to volunteer at.  I have worked in the changing area at both Wisconsin and Florida and it's helpful to get ideas of what other people have in their bags...

2013-02-15 1:50 PM
in reply to: #4624069

User image

Master

I waited last year in line as a non-volunteer.  Everyone on site was guaranteed an entry. IM officials went around several times and counted everyone to make sure. I was on crutches and in a cast and could not stand around much longer so I ended up going home eating lunch then taking a nap. I signed up at 4:17pm CST that day.

I will assume that you meant what do you do with your wetsuit after the run up from the swim? Usually there are volunteers there who will pack it into your T1 bag. If there are none available to help you then you pack it back in yourself.

2013-02-15 3:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
You PROBABLY would be ok, but every year is different. I volunteered last year & then signed up the next day. The line seemed longer than when I waited in line with some friends that were signing up a couple years ago. I might be wrong, but I don't think the foundation spots ever sold out last year, this year they sold out 7 months prior. It seems like IMWI is getting more popular.

If you have your heart set on 2014, I would volunteer (it's so much fun, & a great way to get familar with the race/venue/area). One other benefit of coming to the race this year (other than cheering all of us on ), you can look it from a racers/support crew perspective. When I volunteered a few years ago, I wasn't going to race the next year so my mindset was completely different. Last year I knew I would be racing this year so I really looked at where things were, how things were organized, thought about where I would park, etc. It also helped my husband, to go over things visually together & he could ask questions, since obviously he won't be able to do that on race day. It allowed us to figure out the best places for him to be, & that we should get a hotel for race day, even though we have relatives in the area (spectating is hard work & a place to crash close is helpful). Good luck!
2013-02-15 10:58 PM

User image

swenso - 2013-02-15 1:31 PM

Hello everyone,

I am just wondering how the registration process went for everyone as I am looking to do IMWI in 2014. I do not think i will get there to volunteer, am I safe to assume if I am online right away that I should get a spot? Also if anyone has done this race before it is driving me crazy, What do you do with your wetsuit after the run? Thanks for any comments

I registered online.  Took the day off from work and sat at my computer refreshing the page just before I knew registration would open up.  Before registration day I went to a 70.3 race that was not sold out yet and printed off the registration form so I had an idea of what questions it would ask.  They were not much different. And, of course, had my credit card and USAT card handy with the numbers.  Literally took 5 min to sign up. 

I did the same thing for the hotel and got the exact one I wanted.  Though the hotel blocks open up a couple hours before race registration.

Now I hope my training goes that smoothly. (Just need the snow to melt.)

2013-02-16 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
swenso - 2013-02-15 2:31 PM

Hello everyone,

I registered online this year as soon as it opened. Just have all your information ready to go, make sure you have an account for active.com and make sure it works. Same with you credit card. Also, only answer the questions that you need to during the registeration process. You don't need to answer all those questions. Wisconsin is not like Florida or Arizona which sell out immediately. You should be able to register online without getting shut out.

2013-02-16 3:49 PM
in reply to: #4624827

New user

Alexandria, MN
Thanks for the info everyone!
2013-02-17 8:38 PM

User image

Veteran

Hello again from your friendly volunteer! I volunteered at my faviorate charity race this past weekend and had a blast handing out packets then handing out food after they finished. I'm continuting to train for my two tris I have this year and getting excited to volunteer at four more events.

I hit the pool again for the first time in over four months. I'd forgotten how many muscles I use just to swim. Needless to say I was one sore tri gal for the rest of the day!! Sounds like everyone is getting along with their training.

Good luck everyone!!!!

2013-02-19 5:44 PM

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)

Quick question for those close to the Madison area. i would like to spend some time around the area after Ironman ( I have to keep my wife happy with some NON-Ironman related trip). These are the three posibilities i am thinking off, any pros or cons or suggestions?:

Should I spend the rest of the week in the madison area? how about Milwakee area ? I am even considering Chicago.   I have never been on these areas before.

thanks for the help

2013-02-19 9:30 PM
in reply to: #4629144

Veteran
MrSolis - 2013-02-19 5:44 PM

Quick question for those close to the Madison area. i would like to spend some time around the area after Ironman ( I have to keep my wife happy with some NON-Ironman related trip). These are the three posibilities i am thinking off, any pros or cons or suggestions?:

Should I spend the rest of the week in the madison area? how about Milwakee area ? I am even considering Chicago.   I have never been on these areas before.

thanks for the help

Take her here.... http://www.americanclubresort.com/index.html

Very nice place about 2 hours from Madison.

2013-02-21 8:55 AM

User image

Peachtree City
Finally getting around to booking a hotel. DoubleTree or Best Western?
2013-02-21 9:05 AM
in reply to: #4631418

User image

Master

kimarch - 2013-02-21 8:55 AM Finally getting around to booking a hotel. DoubleTree or Best Western?

Which best western?

2013-02-21 4:26 PM

User image

Peachtree City
Best western inn on the park- just sold out
2013-02-21 4:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)

Aww, that frownie face is just too sad....

You know what, though..  I'll bet some more rooms become available between now and the race.  I believe that hotel sold out on Day1.  If some rooms were open, that means someone must have cancelled.  It'll happen a few more times, no doubt!  

2013-02-21 5:40 PM

User image

Peachtree City
Thanks, I do like to walk after a race. Hopefully one of the closer hotels will get a cancelation

User image

Peachtree City
Thanks, I do like to walk after a race. Hopefully one of the closer hotels will get a cancelation

User image

Peachtree City
2013-02-21 5:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
I just checked and it looks like University Inn has a few rooms.  That's a pretty short walk to the terrace (about a mile)...  Bonus is that it's a few blocks from the main bar district.....for your post-race enjoyment..  

Edited by julio26pt2 2013-02-21 5:49 PM
2013-02-22 6:08 AM

User image

Peachtree City
Hmm, doesn't look as nice as some of the other rooms. However my sherpas will like the bar location. Thanks! I'm planning on going up to Madison a few times to ride the course. Does anyone know of any organized course rides?
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 24