BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jenny's Winter "Find What Drives You" Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2013-02-24 6:08 AM
in reply to: #4633366

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Subject: RE: Jenny's Winter "Find What Drives You" Mentor Group - Open
Robpest - 2013-02-22 1:49 PM

Hi Jenny, as with most I'm a beginner, never have done any type of tri, turning 50 this summer, have been somewhat of an athlete, swimming when I was young, still play hockey. Started doing more steady well rounded training about 1 1/2 yrs ago to help a chronic back problem. I have not formalized any program, just found this site so I'm excited about moving forward in a more planned approach. Setting a goal to do a sprint type tri this summer in July. I'm strong in swimming, which I understand most struggle with, my biggest problem is running. 2yrs ago I think I tore a tendon or something up through my calf muscle. My back gets a bit soar also during any type of running, so I have been taking it slow trying to build muscle and endurance. Need to lose some weight also, but figure that will come with training. Where I'm at is, I was doing 1km to 2km in the pool, then either adding a 15 to 20 min stationary bike with changing the tensions. Recently I was on holiday so I worked on treadmill and was able to get my run up to 5km, leg seemed okay but still concerns me. The run felt okay but it took a lot of sweat and work, would rather swim or bike. I will go on the log to track my training. I'm still playing hockey 2 times a week so not sure how to factor that in. Looking forward to some help. I also get worn out, probably because I try to do to much at once. I have purchased some supplements, and am trying to balance out my eating. I have retread some of the fit for life book, and it was a great reminder of balance, eating and not over-exercising to build strength. I sure need a planRob Let me know what I need to do to join if you will have me . Thanks

Welcome! Happy to have you!

2013-02-24 6:13 AM
in reply to: #4634600

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
pilot_e - 2013-02-23 10:03 PM

Lesson Learned:  Do not use a knobby-tire mountain bike on a trainer!  

But made it work... first i disengaged the 'flywheel' thing from the back wheel... too much vibration and noise.  Next I realized that my back wheel has a massive warp, so perhaps also not a bad idea to not have it on the trainer wheel.  NEXT, tried to gear up to increase the tension that way and found nothing... my gear cables have shredded!  So rode with a bit of tension on my brakes to slow the back wheel down and wasn't just free-spinning.

Wowsers, MUST source a road bike asap.  \there is a 'recycle cycles' type shop in town... going to snoop there to see if \i can score something for a few months until i can try to save a bit of $$ towards a bike on kijiji or something.

Rock on!  40 minutes bike!!  WHOOP!

Wow - that must be frustrating! If you can't find a road bike, or decide you don't want to invest right now, I'm sure your local bike shop could repair your cabling and set you up with a new rear wheel and a set of "slick" road tires for your mountain bike.
2013-02-24 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4563355

New user

I would like to join your mentor group please.

Melissa

2013-02-24 6:32 PM
in reply to: #4635035

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas
mtraylor - 2013-02-24 3:29 PM

Melissa

Welcome mtraylor.

Anyone else having issue with the "Training Log" page format?  Geez, scroll right, scroll left, scroll right, scroll left, lol.

Finished my first full marathon today!  I managed a 3:58:43 time!  Now I'm going to ice my knee again in front of a good movie!

Here's my race report if you're really bored.

2013-02-25 5:42 AM
in reply to: #4635189

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
HelmoAlkou - 2013-02-24 7:32 PM

Melissa

Welcome mtraylor.

Anyone else having issue with the "Training Log" page format?  Geez, scroll right, scroll left, scroll right, scroll left, lol.

Finished my first full marathon today!  I managed a 3:58:43 time!  Now I'm going to ice my knee again in front of a good movie!

NICE!! Congrats on the race!!!
2013-02-25 7:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
WHOOOOOOOOP!  Yay Monty!!!! Huge congrats to you :D

2013-02-25 12:53 PM

User image

Baton Rouge
HelmoAlkou - 2013-02-24 6:32 PM

Melissa

Welcome mtraylor.

Way to geaux!!!

2013-02-25 3:32 PM
in reply to: #4635035

User image

Baton Rouge

Melissa

Welcome Melissa! I believe we're in the same geographic area so feel free to ask this "local" a question.  I read your intro and kudos to you for putting in the hard work and dropping the weight! I'm sure you'll find this group to be motivational as well to keep you going.

2013-02-26 1:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Thanks for the support!  It was a great day to run!

You guys are really quiet!  

Who has picked out a training plan, what plan, and have you started it?

2013-02-26 1:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
I'm doing the 16-week sprint to get me to the first race of the season end of May.  I'm on week 4.  So far so good, but having some consistency issues with house renos and work getting in the way of training.  But at least with the plan, i know what i'm missing! :D  Being thrown off though at it being a time-based plan rather than a distance-based plan.  Don't know if i'm supposed to be going "all out" for that time frame, or how to pace to see improvements.  Guess you get what you pay for :P
2013-02-26 2:03 PM

User image

Baton Rouge

I'll be back in the pool today after a week off. I hope I haven't forgotten what I'm doing! Haha Also, it's race week for me. Have a duo Sat. in MS. I plan to drive over (about 2.5hrs) Fri. and stay the night. Will hang with some friends in the area then get my game face on for Sat. It's going to be a chilly race day according to the weather forecast, not sure I'm ready for that yet! I bought a race wheelset last week and they should arrive tomorrow, I'm tempted to throw them on my bike as soon as they arrive. Not sure how good of an idea it is considering I'll prob only get one, maybe two rides to "try" them out. Should I just wait until the next race to try them or just go with it?

Hope everyone is having a good week.

ETA: I'm on week 8 of an 8 week sprint duo training plan, currently working on putting together an 8 week tri plan to start next week to get me to my tri April 13th.

Edited by tygr_tri 2013-02-27 9:23 AM

2013-02-26 2:14 PM
in reply to: #4637811

User image

Veteran
Kitchener
You guys have an incredibly long race season!  Jealous :D  We're expecting another 8 inches of snow overnight.  I can take solace in the fact that i'm missing my pool workouts, but the snow shovelling is definitely giving my upper body a workout!  Good luck on your race this weekend!!
2013-02-26 7:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Erica - Usually the first few weeks/months of a plan are all endurance based.  Long slow training.  Then strength is added, then speed.  I had a hard time moving from tracking distance to time.  I think time is easier, now that I look back.

Race week for Angie!  Go take it!  Good luck!

I have my eyes on some race wheels for my bonus check this year.  Last year was the bike so it makes sense, to me!

There's not really an off season in the southern states, unless you want to make it July, August, or Sept.  I have a friend trying to talk me into Ironman Buffalo Springs 70.3 on June 30th this year.  It's spring fed so wet suit legal.  But the last time he went the oil from the asphalt was sticking to his shoes during the run.  Not to sure about that....

2013-02-27 4:20 AM
in reply to: #4637811

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
tygr_tri - 2013-02-26 3:03 PM

I'll be back in the pool today after a week off. I hope I haven't forgotten what I'm doing! Haha Also, it's race week for me. Have a duo Sat. in MS. I plan to drive over (about 2.5hrs) Fri. and stay the night. Will hang with some friends in the area then get my game face on for Sat. It's going to be a chilly race day according to the weather forecast, not sure I'm ready for that yet! I bought a race wheelset last week and they should arrive tomorrow, I'm tempted to throw them on my bike as soon as they arrive. Not sure how good of an idea it is considering I'll prob only get one, maybe two rides to "try" them out. Should I just wait until the next race to try them or just go with it?Hope everyone is having a good week. ETA: I'm on week 8 of an 8 week sprint duo training plan, currently working on putting together an 8 week tri plan to start next week to get me to my tri April 13th.

Good luck with your race! New wheels! That's exciting!! What did you get? I don't think there is too much that could go wrong with racing on a different set of wheels... The only possible exceptions would be 1) If they're pretty deep wheels and the forecast is for windy conditions. With deep wheels & winds, you might get pushed around a bit, and if you haven't had a chance to try the wheels under similar conditions, you might wait. 2) Do you have a cassette on the rear wheel or are you moving the cassette from your training wheel to your race wheel? If each wheel has it's own cassette, is the gearing the same or different? If you have different gearing on the race wheel, you probably at least want to get a few rides in on it, even if short rides, to make sure everything shifts smoothly (if the cassettes are different, the chain tension may be different, and could potentially cause some shifting issues) and that you're comfortable with the gearing on the new wheel.
2013-02-27 9:30 AM
in reply to: #4638299

User image

Baton Rouge
HelmoAlkou - 2013-02-26 7:54 PM

Erica - Usually the first few weeks/months of a plan are all endurance based.  Long slow training.  Then strength is added, then speed.  I had a hard time moving from tracking distance to time.  I think time is easier, now that I look back.

Race week for Angie!  Go take it!  Good luck!

I have my eyes on some race wheels for my bonus check this year.  Last year was the bike so it makes sense, to me!

There's not really an off season in the southern states, unless you want to make it July, August, or Sept.  I have a friend trying to talk me into Ironman Buffalo Springs 70.3 on June 30th this year.  It's spring fed so wet suit legal.  But the last time he went the oil from the asphalt was sticking to his shoes during the run.  Not to sure about that....

This was my thinking this year as well, however, because my bike was stolen at the end of last year, I ended up having to get a new bike and the wheels I just got as motivation and since they were already on my mind, may as well get em! :-

2013-02-27 9:47 AM
in reply to: #4638560

User image

Baton Rouge

jsnowash - 2013-02-27 4:20 AM
tygr_tri - 2013-02-26 3:03 PM I'll be back in the pool today after a week off. I hope I haven't forgotten what I'm doing! Haha Also, it's race week for me. Have a duo Sat. in MS. I plan to drive over (about 2.5hrs) Fri. and stay the night. Will hang with some friends in the area then get my game face on for Sat. It's going to be a chilly race day according to the weather forecast, not sure I'm ready for that yet! I bought a race wheelset last week and they should arrive tomorrow, I'm tempted to throw them on my bike as soon as they arrive. Not sure how good of an idea it is considering I'll prob only get one, maybe two rides to "try" them out. Should I just wait until the next race to try them or just go with it?

Hope everyone is having a good week.

ETA: I'm on week 8 of an 8 week sprint duo training plan, currently working on putting together an 8 week tri plan to start next week to get me to my tri April 13th.

Good luck with your race! New wheels! That's exciting!! What did you get? I don't think there is too much that could go wrong with racing on a different set of wheels... The only possible exceptions would be 1) If they're pretty deep wheels and the forecast is for windy conditions. With deep wheels & winds, you might get pushed around a bit, and if you haven't had a chance to try the wheels under similar conditions, you might wait. 2) Do you have a cassette on the rear wheel or are you moving the cassette from your training wheel to your race wheel? If each wheel has it's own cassette, is the gearing the same or different? If you have different gearing on the race wheel, you probably at least want to get a few rides in on it, even if short rides, to make sure everything shifts smoothly (if the cassettes are different, the chain tension may be different, and could potentially cause some shifting issues) and that you're comfortable with the gearing on the new wheel.

I got a set of 2010 Cosmic Carbone SLR, they're not extremely deep (52mm) and I got a really good deal! I don't believe the race this weekend calls for wind just cold! LOL I plan to go by my LBS to see about getting the exact cassette I currently have and putting the new on on the race wheel and keeping the other rear wheel as a training wheel, that way it will be an easy switch and I won't have to worry about all of those things you mentioned.  

2013-02-27 10:28 AM

User image

Baton Rouge

So my swim last night wasn't horrible but it wasn't great either.  My 'coach' friend wasn't there to watch me so I was solo.  I was afraid the week off would have set me back but I did better than I thought, however, I still don't feel like I'm ever getting enough air when I'm bilaterally breathing. My coach said it's something we'll work on more.  Because I don't feel like I'm getting enough air, I'm so winded after 25m, and have to take a few seconds before I turn around and do another 25m and this process continues.. Yesterday I flipped to my back twice mid lap just to really get some air and then flipped back to keep going freestyle. Maybe I'm working too hard or trying to go too fast right out the gate, idk?? open to thoughts here.

The idea of swimming 350m and getting out of the pool to go bike and run is playing tricks with my mind! I know if I can just get out of the pool I'll be fine but I'm so competitive and clearly being impatient with swimming that I'm doubting my ability to even get to the starting line!  I'm back in the pool today and tomorrow.  Oh yea, I started to get a headache again, no nausea or dizziness feeling though and I believe it's b/c of a lack of oxygen! at least that's what google is telling me..LOL I say lack of oxygen b/c I wasn't dehydrated and I had eaten enough prior to the workout.  It's either that or over exertion, either or could be correct in my case I think.  I also wonder if I should go get a physical just in case. Undecided

2013-02-27 12:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Good stuff to think about, Jenny.  My cassette is 11/23 which isn't very friendly with some of the hilly races around here, especially in the Hill Country.  Everyone passes me going up and I pass everyone going down.  But I'm spending more energy going up then they are.  I've been looking into a second cassette so I can swap them out, but I know there's more to it than that!

Angie - If you're having to roll over to get air then yes, too fast!  

* Slow down.  Try to glide a little at the end of each stroke, one arm straight forward and one arm back.

* Make sure you breathe every stroke, on the same side for now.  

* Exhale!!  If you don't breathe the carbon dioxide out then there's no room for oxygen to go in.  You'll feel like you're suffocating yet you're breathing as much as you can.  Don't tell anyone but I have a slight pucker, like blowing air into the end of a straw, and I blow out constantly.  You're breath in should be strong and very quick.  When you swim open water you'll see why Laughing.

2013-02-27 1:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Forgot to list mine.

Intermediate Sprint Triathlon Training Plan - 12 Week - HR

It's under the silver member plans.  There's a Sprint in Hillsboro (out in the sticks) that I've heard is a roughly ran triathlon.  Only the third year and they're trying to figure it out.  But, the guy who won last year did it in a 1:14.  The only sprint I've done was in 1:16 and that was a pool swim, single file, painful.  This will be open water!!

2013-02-27 11:37 PM

User image

Western Slope, Colorado

HelmoAlkou - 2013-02-24 5:32 PM

Congratulations! That's amazing. I went to a movie after finishing my first triathlon. I'm looking forward to making it a tradition since my next race is the opening weekend for the new Star Trek film. Yep, i'm a geek.

pilot_e - 2013-02-26 12:58 PM I'm doing the 16-week sprint to get me to the first race of the season end of May.  I'm on week 4.  So far so good, but having some consistency issues with house renos and work getting in the way of training.  But at least with the plan, i know what i'm missing! :D  Being thrown off though at it being a time-based plan rather than a distance-based plan.  Don't know if i'm supposed to be going "all out" for that time frame, or how to pace to see improvements.  Guess you get what you pay for :P

I'm on week 4 of an 11 week plan! But my first triathlon of the season is actually going to be a month after my plan ends. I'll probably not taper as drastically on the planned race week and keep increasing quite a bit for my swim if nothing else. The plan only has me swimming 600m at the end but my first race is going to have a swim of 800 as i recall. The bike will be shorter than in my second race, though, so hopefully i will feel super prepared on that.  I like my plan because it has distances for the swim and bike, time for the run.

I have been going to the gym for my bike rides more than i would really like. ): It has been snowing quite a bit over the past two weeks. But maybe that's a good thing, for me ease into it, get my form strong, then add the miles. I am running on the indoor track rather than a treadmill or elliptical, so i feel good about that. Of course doing something is better than nothing at all. And we can certainly use the snow, we've been in a drought.

2013-02-28 11:17 AM

User image

Baton Rouge

Alright, slowing things down helped A LOT.  I left the pool for the first time w/o a headache guess that means I was getting AIR.  I didn't worry so much about speed or even distance really.  I concentrated on exhaling and that was basically it yesterday.  Did some streamlining, didn't really count laps and left feeling fine about being out there.  My competitive ego just has to get checked once I jump in the pool, that's the bottom line. I'm going to try and get a video next week, just to see what I look like and to also get some feedback on what I can do better.

Because of some technical difficulties at work yesterday, everyone got to go home early, so I was able to do my actual plan workout (20min run) and swim.  Made it to the bike shop as well to get a cassette for the new wheels and had them put them on the bike Laughing I'll get to ride the bike with the new set up today and I'm looking forward to seeing how the bike handles.  I'll post my tri plan in the next few days.  I'm really hoping I can get back into the gym and do some ST, I basically missed this entire month of gym workouts because I didn't have anywhere to put them on the schedule!  I actually really enjoy my gym class, even as hard as it can be some days and don't want to miss another month!

2013-02-28 2:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Sounds like a plan, Kristi!

Angie, nice!!

2013-03-01 12:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Kitchener

Y'all are doing awesome!! Keep it up, folks.

Today was just a tired tired day.  One of those weeks where your sleep is all off, and no amount of coffee seems to help, so workouts feel SO much harder than they really are.  Good mental training though, right? :D  It's Friday!

Good luck racing this weekend, Angie!

Does anyone else have any adventures this weekend?

--Erica.

2013-03-01 11:36 PM

My weekend plans include some early morning runs and then study, study, study for midterms coming up! I also hope that it will let up with this downpour that we have had for the past few days, so that I can get out for a spin on my bike. I have never had clipless pedals and I just bought shoes the other day but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. I am going crazy wanting to go out and give it a try, but with the rain being this bad I am making myself wait and going to spin classes instead!

Anyone have any recommendations or advice for the first ride with the clipless pedal system? I have iClic 2 pedals by Time, they came with the bike so wasn't going to pass that up, just a matter of getting accustomed to it!

Thanks! 

Oh and good luck in the race this weekend Angie!

Edited by fraser13 2013-03-01 11:37 PM
2013-03-02 4:47 AM
in reply to: #4643087

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
fraser13 - 2013-03-02 12:36 AM

My weekend plans include some early morning runs and then study, study, study for midterms coming up! I also hope that it will let up with this downpour that we have had for the past few days, so that I can get out for a spin on my bike. I have never had clipless pedals and I just bought shoes the other day but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. I am going crazy wanting to go out and give it a try, but with the rain being this bad I am making myself wait and going to spin classes instead!

Anyone have any recommendations or advice for the first ride with the clipless pedal system? I have iClic 2 pedals by Time, they came with the bike so wasn't going to pass that up, just a matter of getting accustomed to it!

Thanks! 

Oh and good luck in the race this weekend Angie!

Do you have, or know anyone who has, a stationary bike trainer? If so, practicing clipping in and out a few times on the trainer until you get used to how the pedals work is a good idea. If not, I suggest you start by straddling the bike and practicing clipping in and out several times with each foot standing still (standing on the other foot) until you have a good sense of how to get in and out of the pedals - how much pressure you need to clip in, how to turn your foot to clip out, etc. Once you have that down, then you can begin trying it while moving. Initially, you might begin by clipping in one foot and leaving the other unclipped. Ride a little distance and practice unclipping the clipped in foot when you come to a stop. Then you can try the same thing with the other foot, and eventually both feet.

When you start off, generally you straddle the bike, clip in one foot, push off with the other foot, maybe take a few pedal strokes to get a little momentum going, then clip in the other foot. When coming to a stop, unclip one foot as you approach the stop and place that foot on the ground. It's good to get the hang of doing this with both feet. At some point along the way, you'll probably experience the clipped-in-the-pedals tip over fall.... It's kind of a right of passage for new clipless pedal users!

If you're concerned that you might have trouble clipping in & out, sometimes folks will work on learning how to clip in and out on a flat, grassy surface. The tip over fall is a little less painful that way... but it can be a little harder to get your momentum going on that kind of surface, so it's a bit of a trade off.

Good luck!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jenny's Winter "Find What Drives You" Mentor Group - Open Rss Feed  

of 18