BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2013-01-31 7:20 PM
in reply to: #4571585

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Closed

Thanks everyone.  Yeah, I filed a police report, they were our first call.  Next call was insurance.  Actually 2 bikes were taken, the hybrid I'd been using in my previous races was also taken.  Luckily nothing else was.  But our insurance is very good and they are covering everything.  In fact, the reimbursement is being sent through direct deposit and I should have it in the next couple days.  I'm going to be ordering the same bike I had.  I liked it, it fit me.  Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get here and I don't miss too much training time.  When I ordered it the first time it was here in two days, so we'll see.

In the meantime I tried out the sets of Yasso's 400's today at a local high school track.  Did 8 at sub 1:40 each before the track coach said they'd prefer I didn't use the track until after 5 PM.  Oops.  He thanked me for using the outside lanes and said I could finish my workout if I wanted but I didn't want to impose.  Felt like I could have done 10 but more than that would have been pushing it.  Between the first few I was jogging the 200s and I was reaching the point where I was walking the full 200, so it was probably a good time to stop.  Good workout, look forward to going further with it.  Next Thursday I'm going to go to one of the local big parks and do a hill workout.

2013-01-31 7:23 PM
in reply to: #4603483

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
jmholzman - 2013-01-31 7:20 PM

Thanks everyone.  Yeah, I filed a police report, they were our first call.  Next call was insurance.  Actually 2 bikes were taken, the hybrid I'd been using in my previous races was also taken.  Luckily nothing else was.  But our insurance is very good and they are covering everything.  In fact, the reimbursement is being sent through direct deposit and I should have it in the next couple days.  I'm going to be ordering the same bike I had.  I liked it, it fit me.  Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get here and I don't miss too much training time.  When I ordered it the first time it was here in two days, so we'll see.

In the meantime I tried out the sets of Yasso's 400's today at a local high school track.  Did 8 at sub 1:40 each before the track coach said they'd prefer I didn't use the track until after 5 PM.  Oops.  He thanked me for using the outside lanes and said I could finish my workout if I wanted but I didn't want to impose.  Felt like I could have done 10 but more than that would have been pushing it.  Between the first few I was jogging the 200s and I was reaching the point where I was walking the full 200, so it was probably a good time to stop.  Good workout, look forward to going further with it.  Next Thursday I'm going to go to one of the local big parks and do a hill workout.

Very good track work!    Such a bummer about the bikes being stolen.   Its great you have wonderful insurance.   But sure stinks that they were stolen to begin with.

2013-02-02 12:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

:crickets chirping:

Pretty quiet around here today.  Hopefully that means everyone is/was out training or having fun instead of sitting in front of their computers.  Masters workout was pretty good today:

Warmup of choice (I did 300 easy)

Main Set:

3x50 descending

3x50 descending

3x100 strong (not quite race but just under, very short rest)

8x50 First/Last easy, middle 6 strong

3x100 strong

6x50 First/Last easy, middle 4 strong

3x100 strong

4x50 First/Last easy, middle 2 strong

500 easy

Enjoy!  I ordered my new bike today, and all the replacement parts I had already installed before it was stolen.  Hopefully it gets here early next week.

2013-02-02 8:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Ha, Joe! It was pretty quiet around here yesterday. Nice work in the pool. It looks like you have a really good training program going. I'm glad you're getting your new bike, too. That's a relief.

I did a brick yesterday and then went to spend the afternoon with my 6 year olds. Warning *** this is a brag!! One of them took 2nd place at the science fair for 1st-3rd grade and is going to regionals in March! We spent most of the afternoon/evening celebrating with her...lots of fun!!

2013-02-02 8:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Congratulations! What is her project on?
2013-02-02 9:13 AM
in reply to: #4605464

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

jmholzman - 2013-02-02 8:48 AM Congratulations! What is her project on?

Can an onion bulb grow without soil if given only water, Gatorade, or coke. Her hypothesis was that it will grow with water only (she has seen me do it), it would die in coke, and it would grow best in Gatorade since it has extra nutrients. It grew best in water, died in coke, and started to grow in gatorade, but ended up dying after a couple weeks. She worked hard on it, and we are so proud of her! Her sister started an experiment with corn, but then decided it was too much work, so she didn't end up submitting it. My kids are not too into sports, but they are very "booky". I'm pretty sure they are already smarter than me...and I'm pretty sure they get that from their dad!

(mari small.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
mari small.jpg (76KB - 15 downloads)

2013-02-02 9:58 AM
in reply to: #4605489

User image

Master
St. Louis
Sarah73 - 2013-02-02 9:13 AM

jmholzman - 2013-02-02 8:48 AM Congratulations! What is her project on?

Can an onion bulb grow without soil if given only water, Gatorade, or coke. Her hypothesis was that it will grow with water only (she has seen me do it), it would die in coke, and it would grow best in Gatorade since it has extra nutrients. It grew best in water, died in coke, and started to grow in gatorade, but ended up dying after a couple weeks. She worked hard on it, and we are so proud of her! Her sister started an experiment with corn, but then decided it was too much work, so she didn't end up submitting it. My kids are not too into sports, but they are very "booky". I'm pretty sure they are already smarter than me...and I'm pretty sure they get that from their dad!

Very cool!
2013-02-02 10:00 AM
in reply to: #4605489

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

Very cool project! And relevant.

I wasn't very into sports as a kid either. I was the kid who played baseball because his parents signed him up for it but I'd be in the outfield kicking the grass or following a bug. Then the ball would get hit to me and I wouldn't even notice. It wasn't till high school that I got even remotely interested.

Edited to fix typing errors

Edited by jmholzman 2013-02-02 10:22 AM
2013-02-02 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4605524

User image

Master
St. Louis
jmholzman - 2013-02-02 10:00 AM

Very cool project! And relevant. I wasn't very into sorts as a kid either. I was the kid who played baseball because his parents signed himm up for it but I'd be in the outfield kicking the grass or following a bug. Then the ball would get hit to me and I wouldn't even notice. It wasn't till high school that I got even remotely interested.

Sounds familiar. I played little league ball because my parents signed me up and never got a hit in a couple years, though I did get hit by a pitch a couple times :-(
2013-02-02 12:43 PM

User image

Veteran

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I've been AWOL this week.  I did get some training in, actually did 3.7 miles for the first time outside.  Still run/walking but I'm liken' it!  The other news is I had 2 second interviews on Tuesday and was called back for a 3rd on Friday.  So my nerves and concentration has been on that this week.  I didn't realize I was so far behind on my H&M reading.

I like hashers, mashers, and splashers.  But what ever Sarah and Mike keep it at is fine with me. Nice photos TJ!

I appreciate all the reading on training, (still waiting for that cucumber gatorade though!)  I for one am also a non-athletic person when I was a kid, books and science. 

I haven't developed a plan, just use what I find on BT and try to stick to it.  Actually I'm a little ahead of it according to the calendar.

My main goal is I'm in it, to finish it.  And NOT get hurt doing it.  I'm too old to get hurt and I don't want to wear out the battery back-up.  LOL

Finally, I hope I will have new job by the end of next week, so thoughts and prayers are greatly welcome, and needed.

Have a great weekend.

Tom

2013-02-02 1:21 PM

User image

Veteran

Hope everyone's having a good weekend!  Got a good swim/bike brick in today...and that was after sleeping in until 8:30, which I rarely have opportunity to do.  It was glorious!

My January workout totals:  1 mini sprint triathlon;  126 miles biking (6h 27m); 42 miles running (6h 45m); 8,175 yards swimming (4h 35m); 4 h 13m strength training/Pilates.   And so begins 2013!  There's the pain of the work or the pain of regret.  I choose the pain of the work! 

Jax  

2013-02-02 6:37 PM

I was a science nerd in school too

Keep up the great training guys! Looks like busy weekends. I'm out of town so taking today as a rest, but hopefully I'll get back In time for a short run tomorrow!
2013-02-02 6:58 PM
in reply to: #4605652

User image

Master
St. Louis
TomsTri-ing - 2013-02-02 12:43 PM

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I've been AWOL this week.  I did get some training in, actually did 3.7 miles for the first time outside.  Still run/walking but I'm liken' it!  The other news is I had 2 second interviews on Tuesday and was called back for a 3rd on Friday.  So my nerves and concentration has been on that this week.  I didn't realize I was so far behind on my H&M reading.

I like hashers, mashers, and splashers.  But what ever Sarah and Mike keep it at is fine with me. Nice photos TJ!

I appreciate all the reading on training, (still waiting for that cucumber gatorade though!)  I for one am also a non-athletic person when I was a kid, books and science. 

I haven't developed a plan, just use what I find on BT and try to stick to it.  Actually I'm a little ahead of it according to the calendar.

My main goal is I'm in it, to finish it.  And NOT get hurt doing it.  I'm too old to get hurt and I don't want to wear out the battery back-up.  LOL

Finally, I hope I will have new job by the end of next week, so thoughts and prayers are greatly welcome, and needed.

Have a great weekend.

Tom

Hope you get the job. Sending prayers your way.
2013-02-02 7:09 PM
in reply to: #4605941

User image

Veteran
ransick - 2013-02-02 7:58 PM
TomsTri-ing - 2013-02-02 12:43 PM

Hi Everyone,

Have a great weekend.

Tom

Hope you get the job. Sending prayers your way.

Ditto!

2013-02-02 7:56 PM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

Hi everyone,

Firstly, sorry for the long post, just got writing and ....

Well, did my second sprint tri this morning. Standard length sprint (750/20/5) but still my longest. I actually felt really strong today. Don't think I was very fast, but I was stronger in the swim and bike, and the same on the run. All in all very happy. Actually wondering if I might have been able to finish the Oly that was also on today. I've been sick twice during Jan so have not been able to get as much training in between races as I would have liked. Anyway, guess I just have to wait another 12 month for my chance.

Now, I thought I'd share my awesome perfect prep-race efforts from today. I was reminded just how much of a newbie I am. I was running behind time to start with, so I needed everything to go smoothly per-race. But.... Here is the summary:

- I was dropping my bag off in the bag compound before heading down for the race start (which was 1km away) and very nearly forgot my swimming cap. So back I went to get it! Great start.

- Then I got half way to the swim start and remembered I had not had my race numbers written on my various body parts. I was 500m away and in my wetsuit ready to go. Back I ran...

- After getting my numbers on I headed back to the swim start (after a real newbie effort putting my legs back in my wetsuit). As I got to the beach I put on the top half of my wetsuit. Well, neoprene was going everywhere, and in the end I managed to get my goggles around my arm and inside my wetsuit. Very comfy I can tell you. So, off came the suit again.

- After a very quick warm up swim (60 seconds because I was out of time). I watched the first wave go off. I was ten minutes later, or so I thought. Long story short, I was actually only two minutes away, but I figured this out with about 5 seconds to spare. The gun went, I flew into the water hoping i was in the correct wave start, but still not sure, and with my goggles still on top of my head!

- But now I was in the water, so my pre-race issues were over. Woohoo!!! Very happy about that.

- But, just when I thought my stupidity was over, alas my post race effort was no better. All was good until I went to head home. I lost my car!!! After 40 minutes riding around the local streets I eventually found it... I guess it was just a good cool down ride in the end.

I am a very organsed personal by nature. I have a good race checklist, everything was ready to go the night before, i got up on time, and I still managed to stuff it all up. I was "review" this and make sure it does not happen again (I hope). I think it's as simple as underestimating how long things can take.

I hope you had a chuckle at my expense. I did, eventually.

Take it easy.

Cheers,
Chrispy

2013-02-03 3:06 AM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

Hey Joe. Just read about your run in with the crims, terrible news. I'm so glad you had insurance!

Have you ordered your aero bars yet?

2013-02-03 8:38 AM
in reply to: #4605992

User image

Master
St. Louis
cadnams - 2013-02-02 7:56 PM

Hi everyone,

Firstly, sorry for the long post, just got writing and ....

Well, did my second sprint tri this morning. Standard length sprint (750/20/5) but still my longest. I actually felt really strong today. Don't think I was very fast, but I was stronger in the swim and bike, and the same on the run. All in all very happy. Actually wondering if I might have been able to finish the Oly that was also on today. I've been sick twice during Jan so have not been able to get as much training in between races as I would have liked. Anyway, guess I just have to wait another 12 month for my chance.

Now, I thought I'd share my awesome perfect prep-race efforts from today. I was reminded just how much of a newbie I am. I was running behind time to start with, so I needed everything to go smoothly per-race. But.... Here is the summary:

- I was dropping my bag off in the bag compound before heading down for the race start (which was 1km away) and very nearly forgot my swimming cap. So back I went to get it! Great start.

- Then I got half way to the swim start and remembered I had not had my race numbers written on my various body parts. I was 500m away and in my wetsuit ready to go. Back I ran...

- After getting my numbers on I headed back to the swim start (after a real newbie effort putting my legs back in my wetsuit). As I got to the beach I put on the top half of my wetsuit. Well, neoprene was going everywhere, and in the end I managed to get my goggles around my arm and inside my wetsuit. Very comfy I can tell you. So, off came the suit again.

- After a very quick warm up swim (60 seconds because I was out of time). I watched the first wave go off. I was ten minutes later, or so I thought. Long story short, I was actually only two minutes away, but I figured this out with about 5 seconds to spare. The gun went, I flew into the water hoping i was in the correct wave start, but still not sure, and with my goggles still on top of my head!

- But now I was in the water, so my pre-race issues were over. Woohoo!!! Very happy about that.

- But, just when I thought my stupidity was over, alas my post race effort was no better. All was good until I went to head home. I lost my car!!! After 40 minutes riding around the local streets I eventually found it... I guess it was just a good cool down ride in the end.

I am a very organsed personal by nature. I have a good race checklist, everything was ready to go the night before, i got up on time, and I still managed to stuff it all up. I was "review" this and make sure it does not happen again (I hope). I think it's as simple as underestimating how long things can take.

I hope you had a chuckle at my expense. I did, eventually.

Take it easy.

Cheers,
Chrispy

Sounds stressful! Glad you can laugh about it now.
2013-02-03 1:13 PM

User image

Veteran

cadnams - 2013-02-02 8:56 PM Hi everyone, Firstly, sorry for the long post, just got writing and .... Well, did my second sprint tri this morning. Standard length sprint (750/20/5) but still my longest. I actually felt really strong today. Don't think I was very fast, but I was stronger in the swim and bike, and the same on the run. All in all very happy. Actually wondering if I might have been able to finish the Oly that was also on today. I've been sick twice during Jan so have not been able to get as much training in between races as I would have liked. Anyway, guess I just have to wait another 12 month for my chance. Now, I thought I'd share my awesome perfect prep-race efforts from today. I was reminded just how much of a newbie I am. I was running behind time to start with, so I needed everything to go smoothly per-race. But.... Here is the summary: - I was dropping my bag off in the bag compound before heading down for the race start (which was 1km away) and very nearly forgot my swimming cap. So back I went to get it! Great start. - Then I got half way to the swim start and remembered I had not had my race numbers written on my various body parts. I was 500m away and in my wetsuit ready to go. Back I ran... - After getting my numbers on I headed back to the swim start (after a real newbie effort putting my legs back in my wetsuit). As I got to the beach I put on the top half of my wetsuit. Well, neoprene was going everywhere, and in the end I managed to get my goggles around my arm and inside my wetsuit. Very comfy I can tell you. So, off came the suit again. - After a very quick warm up swim (60 seconds because I was out of time). I watched the first wave go off. I was ten minutes later, or so I thought. Long story short, I was actually only two minutes away, but I figured this out with about 5 seconds to spare. The gun went, I flew into the water hoping i was in the correct wave start, but still not sure, and with my goggles still on top of my head! - But now I was in the water, so my pre-race issues were over. Woohoo!!! Very happy about that. - But, just when I thought my stupidity was over, alas my post race effort was no better. All was good until I went to head home. I lost my car!!! After 40 minutes riding around the local streets I eventually found it... I guess it was just a good cool down ride in the end. I am a very organsed personal by nature. I have a good race checklist, everything was ready to go the night before, i got up on time, and I still managed to stuff it all up. I was "review" this and make sure it does not happen again (I hope). I think it's as simple as underestimating how long things can take. I hope you had a chuckle at my expense. I did, eventually. Take it easy. Cheers, Chrispy

Boy...did my husband and I get a belly laugh out of this.  Chrispy...you sound like my brother from another mother!  This sounds like just the kind of experience I'd have.  Glad you had a good race in spite of it and glad you can laugh about it!  GREAT WORK!

Jax

2013-02-03 2:26 PM

User image

Veteran

cadnams - 2013-02-02 8:56 PM Hi everyone, Firstly, sorry for the long post, just got writing and .... Well, did my second sprint tri this morning. Standard length sprint (750/20/5) but still my longest. I actually felt really strong today. Don't think I was very fast, but I was stronger in the swim and bike, and the same on the run. All in all very happy. Actually wondering if I might have been able to finish the Oly that was also on today. I've been sick twice during Jan so have not been able to get as much training in between races as I would have liked. Anyway, guess I just have to wait another 12 month for my chance. Now, I thought I'd share my awesome perfect prep-race efforts from today. I was reminded just how much of a newbie I am. I was running behind time to start with, so I needed everything to go smoothly per-race. But.... Here is the summary: - I was dropping my bag off in the bag compound before heading down for the race start (which was 1km away) and very nearly forgot my swimming cap. So back I went to get it! Great start. - Then I got half way to the swim start and remembered I had not had my race numbers written on my various body parts. I was 500m away and in my wetsuit ready to go. Back I ran... - After getting my numbers on I headed back to the swim start (after a real newbie effort putting my legs back in my wetsuit). As I got to the beach I put on the top half of my wetsuit. Well, neoprene was going everywhere, and in the end I managed to get my goggles around my arm and inside my wetsuit. Very comfy I can tell you. So, off came the suit again. - After a very quick warm up swim (60 seconds because I was out of time). I watched the first wave go off. I was ten minutes later, or so I thought. Long story short, I was actually only two minutes away, but I figured this out with about 5 seconds to spare. The gun went, I flew into the water hoping i was in the correct wave start, but still not sure, and with my goggles still on top of my head! - But now I was in the water, so my pre-race issues were over. Woohoo!!! Very happy about that. - But, just when I thought my stupidity was over, alas my post race effort was no better. All was good until I went to head home. I lost my car!!! After 40 minutes riding around the local streets I eventually found it... I guess it was just a good cool down ride in the end. I am a very organsed personal by nature. I have a good race checklist, everything was ready to go the night before, i got up on time, and I still managed to stuff it all up. I was "review" this and make sure it does not happen again (I hope). I think it's as simple as underestimating how long things can take. I hope you had a chuckle at my expense. I did, eventually. Take it easy. Cheers, Chrispy

LOL, but the main thing: you finished, not hurt, and will live to race another day!  Still better than a race I had last year when someone stole by tire repair stuff (all of it) during the swim.

Nice job,

Tom

2013-02-03 2:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY

This is funny, but I was there a couple of years ago.  Drive to to race that was about 45 minutes from home.  Realize I left my bag with swim cap, race bib, and other important but not essential items.   This made my whole pre race routine a mess.  Needed to find director to see what they could do about not have bibs that would match my timing chip.

It took awhile but got it all settled and had a decent race, but man I think I sweated more running around pre-race than I did in the event.

I also forgot where I parked but it only took me about 15 minutes or so to find it.

Hope the race went well though

2013-02-03 2:39 PM
in reply to: #4606144

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

cadnams - 2013-02-03 1:06 AM Hey Joe. Just read about your run in with the crims, terrible news. I'm so glad you had insurance! Have you ordered your aero bars yet?

Thanks for the sympathy, and great race story, sorry about all your troubles but at least you can laugh about it.  And at least it sounds like the race itself went well, so that's good.

I did order the aero bars, but thankfully they hadn't gotten here yet.  I ended up going with the Profile Design T1+.  The bike is on the way, as are the replacement parts I had already changed/upgraded (computer, gatorskin tire, tubes, bike tools, water bottle cage), and the aero bars, pedals, and shoes.  After all the stuff gets here I found a store not too far from me that will do a basic bike fit for $65, so I'm looking forward to getting that done some time next week too.  After that I'll be set and I'll probably be sleeping chained to my bike from now on.

2013-02-03 2:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY

How frustrating!   I knew I would be struggling as I ramp up training after getting fat, and recovering from a broken foot but man this stinks.

I was never fast but not even 18 months ago I was able to run a 5K at a 9:55 pace, and today I ran 3+ miles at over 13 minute pace.

Couple of days ago I did Jillian Micheals Level 1 30 Day Shred with my wife (who is in fantastic shape) and thought I was going to puke at the end of it.   Man I have a long ways to go just to get back to where I was, forget improving.

I'm just venting a bit and I know I will get there again, but dang now I really feel dumb falling from wagon so hard.

2013-02-03 2:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

I asked this question in the Gear Questions section of the site (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=476753&posts=1&start=1) but it's not getting any action, so I'll ask here.  I've got my eye on two cycling jackets (this race in April is supposed to be freezing) from Zoot because I get a good deal on Zoot stuff.  These are the two that look like they fit what I need them for but I'm wondering what the difference between them in that justifies any price difference.  The description looks the same to me (I'm probably missing something) the only difference I see is the design...The picture looks like the drop back of the more expensive one is lower, which is nice, but the description of the drop back on both of them is the same so I'm not sure the picture is accurate.  Thoughts?

http://zootsports.com/mens/apparel/m-ultra-team-cycle-thermo-jacket-f12

http://zootsports.com/spring2010/product/m-performance-cycle-thermomegaheat-jersey-f12

2013-02-03 2:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY

Hey has any body here ever used this site for cycling training.

http://www.trainerroad.com/

Looks interesting, and I might give it a shot but was wondering what others thought first.

2013-02-03 2:45 PM
in reply to: #4606610

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
chmoore2 - 2013-02-03 12:40 PM

How frustrating!   I knew I would be struggling as I ramp up training after getting fat, and recovering from a broken foot but man this stinks.

I was never fast but not even 18 months ago I was able to run a 5K at a 9:55 pace, and today I ran 3+ miles at over 13 minute pace.

Couple of days ago I did Jillian Micheals Level 1 30 Day Shred with my wife (who is in fantastic shape) and thought I was going to puke at the end of it.   Man I have a long ways to go just to get back to where I was, forget improving.

I'm just venting a bit and I know I will get there again, but dang now I really feel dumb falling from wagon so hard.

The first step is the hardest, it'll get better quicker than you think.  Keep up the good work, man!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  

of 30