BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Funked Up Triathletes (Sprint, Olympic Focus) Group - Closed Until Next Season Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-08-08 10:50 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Subject: RE: Funked Up Triathletes (Sprint, Olympic Focus) Group - OPEN
http://running.competitor.com/2013/08/shoes-and-gear/2014-running-t...

Hey Jon here's an article about the Hoka shoes... They are really Making some waves. A second serious running store in KC has just announced they are now selling these. Pretty interesting.

Edited by dprocket 2013-08-08 12:48 PM

2013-08-10 12:49 AM
in reply to: dprocket

User image

New user
Rhode Island
Originally posted by dprocket

http://running.competitor.com/2013/08/shoes-and-gear/2014-running-t...

Hey Jon here's an article about the Hoka shoes... They are really Making some waves. A second serious running store in KC has just announced they are now selling these. Pretty interesting.

I'm still not sure I will stick with them long term, it's a wait and see approach for me. I normally wear a stability/motion control shoe (Brooks Beast) because I overpronate and have no arches at all. The Hokas are cushioned, but are definitely not a motion control shoe by any means. So I'm worried about how they will work for me over time. But so far, so good. All my knee pain from the Brooks has disappeared with the Hokas and I don't have any tweaks or twinges of any kind of pain, but I'm paranoid, hypervigilant even, waiting for some nagging pain to occur! I just SOOO don't want to have to take any time off running! I've finally built up a decent weekly base and plan to move up to HIM distance next season and any running injury is the most likely thing that could sideline those plans (assuming I don't get eaten by a shark swimming or hit by a truck biking... knock on wood)
2013-08-10 4:20 PM
in reply to: johnmoran

User image

New user
Rhode Island
Congrats on a great race Jesse! Looking forward to reading your race summary here!

I have another sprint tri in the a.m.- have to be there at 5:30 and it's an hour away, so leave at 4:30 which means alarm = 3:30am. Sheesh...that's
earlier than I get up to go fishing! Better set 2 alarms.
2013-08-10 10:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by johnmoran

Congrats on a great race Jesse! Looking forward to reading your race summary here!

I have another sprint tri in the a.m.- have to be there at 5:30 and it's an hour away, so leave at 4:30 which means alarm = 3:30am. Sheesh...that's

Ooops...I was going to get up Sunday morning and try to catch some of the USAT video coverage in hopes of seeing Jesse....I didn't realize the race was today.

Jon, I get up pretty early every morning, but you're race day is even too early for me. Ouch. Do well!
2013-08-12 8:47 AM

User image

Lenexa, KS

Thanks. And thanks for the thought David, there's both olympic and sprint national championships in the same venue the same weekend, Oly's on Saturday and Sprint on Sunday so you probably saw the date for Sunday at some point when looking it up.

If the rain continues the way it is and it forestalls me getting actual work done today (have to be outside for some stuff I need done) then I might even get my race report written today. Photographs are being gone over currently to see what's good/useful, etc.

I did make my race objectives, swim at 23:38, 3 minutes faster than last year, bike at just over 23mph (was hoping for 23.5 at the high, but 23mph was the low goal so made that) and then hit the run I wanted at 35:30ish, 2 minutes faster than last year for a total around 2:06 and change, an 8 minute PR for a comparable course. Still got my butt kicked by a ton of guys my age who really dropped it on the bike going 25+mph and starting out of the water 2-5 minutes ahead of me, but I did what I went there to do and there's nothing else you can do at that point.
2013-08-12 11:15 AM
in reply to: funkj25

User image

New user
Rhode Island
Oh, I wanted to note that at the race yesterday I really focused on fast T1, doing visualizations beforehand and a modified mantra that Jesse recommended, so I was thinking "shoes, glasses, helmet, GO!" and nothing else. I didn't even wipe my feet on towel, just in and out. I did T1 in 56 seconds, which knocked over 40 seconds off my previous 3 average T1 times! Again, that was A LOT easier to get a free 40 seconds than to knock it off the SBR! My T2 was 55 seconds-- could have done it in probably 40-45 but I grabbed my water bottle off my bike and took a few sips as an afterthought after I already had my shoes on. So I was happy with T1/T2 total time. Also PR'ed my best tri 5k time, I'm slow, but managed an 8:19 average pace, which is good for me. I did the first mile in 7:40-ish, too fast for me, but I decided to see what would happen if I just went out faster than usual and I slowed down last 1/2-3/4 mile by a lot, but still my total 5k time was faster, so I can probably figure some better strategy/goal pace for my next one in 3 weeks.

2013-08-12 3:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Great job Jesse! Looks like solid progress over last year.
Checking the race splits, you smoked that run!
2013-08-14 4:32 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Lenexa, KS
Great job John. It's that rhythm you build up that really sails you through transition. Nothing like free speed that requires no fitness. Also good to hear you went out a little hard on the 5k and then had to back off. Your sweet spot is probably in between those two paces that can result in an even faster 5k time than what you ran.

Just finished my writeup of the race although I'll say it's a bit somber. You can find it on my blog at http://www.jessefunk.com/?p=231

Anyone wanting to look at the full race results they can be found at http://jms.racetecresults.com/Results.aspx?CId=16370&RId=46

Now just a few weeks of maintenance work and keeping that intensity up before wrapping up the season with Hy-vee. Kind of hard to focus mentally right now since my A race happened and now I'm in this weird interim before I start getting work done on base season for next year. Hrmph. We'll see how Hy-vee goes.

Edited by funkj25 2013-08-14 4:32 PM
2013-08-14 5:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Good read, Jesse. I know you are feeling a little somber with your A race now behind you, but remember "For the love of the sport.".
Stay focused and finish the season strong at 5150! Keep the dream alive.

Like you, I often ask myself why am I doing this during a tough session or before a morning workout when I don't really feel like doing it. I'm 42 and any dreams of professionalism or Olympic Games ...that ship sailed long ago. Wish I could go back and make a go at it. You have that shot.
Even on a day when I am feeling exhausted or unmotivated, I'm still out there doing it, not sitting behind a desk somewhere. It's a good day.

2013-08-14 5:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Well, Jesse I read your right up and have to say...I think I know how you feel. Now, you and I are coming at this from completely different angles. We have different goals, different levels of commitment, different levels of ability, etc. However, I too know how it feels to have accomplished my goal but still feel unsatisfied with the result. After all, you DID accomplish what you set out to do. It sounds like you set realistic but challenging goals and achieved them. It's just that the accomplishment didn't fulfill what you had anticipated, when you compare it to other people's results. I know that feeling. I can't say I have any words of wisdom because I don't know what it's like to chase a dream of being a professional. However, I can tell you that you should take great pride in accomplishing your goals. Your hard work paid off. While you may not reach your dream of being an Olympian, you should still feel satisfaction in accomplishing things that most humans can't or won't do.

One thing that I've learned about this sport is that it is as honest as is possible. There are no fluke fall away jump shots, no bad officials (drafting rules aside), no trick plays: you can't fake the fitness. The sports reveals what you have and what you've put into it. For someone like me, this can be defeating because it reveals that my mid-week eating has been off, or I've had too many mid-night baby rocking sessions ruin my workout the next morning. For you, it may be that it reveals that some other competitors were swimming 6,000 yards a day since they were 11 and you haven't made up the gap yet. But the other side of this is that this is also one of the things I love about the sport. There's no faking.

All that said, consider this just a pat on the back. You're FAST. Maybe not as fast as you want to be but you did a great job. Hopefully, the dissatisfaction that you have now just fuels the fire.

Also, you're also helping out other people which is cool too. I think Jon and Dominion would agree as others who are not close to the same level but are trying to improve. I know a few fast triathletes that act as if they are keeping "secrets" and are unwilling to help out the minions.

Anyhow, keep up the good work. Take a day off (gasp!) and get ready to rock Hy Vee. I have a good buddy that will be there that will challenge you on the run. I hope you guys both have great races.
2013-08-14 5:18 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Originally posted by Dominion

Good read, Jesse. I know you are feeling a little somber with your A race now behind you, but remember "For the love of the sport.".
Stay focused and finish the season strong at 5150! Keep the dream alive.

Like you, I often ask myself why am I doing this during a tough session or before a morning workout when I don't really feel like doing it. I'm 42 and any dreams of professionalism or Olympic Games ...that ship sailed long ago. Wish I could go back and make a go at it. You have that shot.
Even on a day when I am feeling exhausted or unmotivated, I'm still out there doing it, not sitting behind a desk somewhere. It's a good day.

Agreed with this guy! I wish I would have discovered this sport years ago and given it a go. Your ship has not sailed!

2013-08-14 9:25 PM

User image

Lenexa, KS
I appreciate the words of support. I actually did take a day off Monday from swimming since I had the 6 hour clinic with Barb on Sunday with plenty of time in the pool. Only swam a little over 2k in the pool today since mentally I just didn't feel like it, I'm about ready for some rest and then re-focusing on my business (pancake business) and training. I'll be back at it full blast on Friday since I can't piddle around for 2 weeks and hope to knock something out at Hy-vee.

It's just tough sometimes when there's guys younger than me with less training still killing it, but I suppose a similar situation might be compared between myself and most of you guys since I'm younger than you. I was thinking out today what I would need to be in the Olympics and that's probably something like finishing the course from Nationals in around 1:45 or faster which means I'd need to be 21 minutes faster. Considering there's no realistic shot for me in 2016 like I originally hoped when I started this "8 year journey" it does mean I'd be looking at 2020. In the back of my mind when I started my planning out process for my 8-year plan to 2016 I had a feeling I'd probably end up needing a 12-year plan for 2020. Assuming this that means I need to drop on average 3 minutes a year for the next 7 years or a progression more akin to 7, 5, 3, 2, 2, 1, 1 since it is harder to knock off time the faster you get.

Like my blog post alludes to I've never been the "naturally" fastest guy in the bunch. I have however been one of the most consistent and methodical athletes on the teams I've competed with and that's brought me to where I am now. Because I don't have the "natural" speed of some of the "super athletes" my age who are already competing at a world class level I've studied a lot about endurance sports to help my progression.

Strictly speaking my current development arc is a 2 year cycle where I'm at the end of year one. I actually didn't build up to the kind of intensities you're really supposed to have by the end point in the season (for all 3 sports) just to spend more time building solid base without risking injury. We'll see if I can drop the next goal of 7 minutes for next year. Looking to be 21:30 on the swim, 60 flat on the bike and 33:30 on the run next year which is 8 minutes really so if nothing else I can edge a little on the run, getting to 34:30 should be no problem next year.

Truthfully when discussing my 8 year plan with my college coach I had the idea that if I could even get to the level of being at a shot of competing for the spot in the Olympics I would know I had done something. Like David said, the sport is brutally honest. There's no hiding what you've done all year when the clock ticks on whether you like it or not.
2013-08-15 5:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
This is a great post. It shows you have a long term plan and have really thought it through.

On another front, I'm excited to announce that I just ordered a new 2013 Specialized Shiv Comp-Rival. I was going to wait until after the season to upgrade from my road bike, but found what I think is a good year end closeout deal on sale for $2599. I pick it up next Friday.
2013-08-15 7:32 AM

User image

Lenexa, KS
Hey good news on the new frame. Definitely looking to move up to a TT frame myself next year. As you can see from the photos on my blog body position can be so much better on a TT frame versus the road frame so from that alone you can gain time.

Closeouts on year end models are the way to go in my opinion since you're getting the same bike at a better deal. Just gotta be patient enough for it.
2013-08-15 10:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee

This is a great post. It shows you have a long term plan and have really thought it through.

On another front, I'm excited to announce that I just ordered a new 2013 Specialized Shiv Comp-Rival. I was going to wait until after the season to upgrade from my road bike, but found what I think is a good year end closeout deal on sale for $2599. I pick it up next Friday.

Awesome news! Wow you just saved a ton of money! Now you just need some good race wheels! Maybe a new saddle. Probably an aero bento box. Better get some carbon bottle holders. What about a computer/power mete/speed sensor? Gonna need a mount for that too. I bet your old pedals are old and heavy, not very aero. Maybe want to get some nice arm warmers so you can get some cold weather rides in. Better get a shell jacket too. Does that have race tires? Better get some latex tubes... Don't want those weighing you down. Wait a sec... A fast bike calls for a fast helmet! (hello Rudy project). Yikes... New bike without a fitting? Better get one of those. You may want to consider a cover for that back wheel....

Yea, you just saved a bunch of money. Haha. All kidding aside, congrats! Be sure to post pics when you get it!
2013-08-15 11:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
Race wheels for sure, but I only have 2 races left this year, so they can wait until next year. I'll get a new computer ordered tomorrow and I already have new pedals I bought on sale awhile back because I knew I would be buying a bike sometime at the end of the year. A new saddle?..we'll see

2013-08-15 12:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
On Sunday I was at home watching the kids while my wife had something to do. I had plan on doing a longer Sufferfest workout on the trainer, but discovered my bike shoes were in the car that she drove. So, I ended up doing about 8 miles on the treadmill. I took the opportunity to have my 9 year old capture some video. This video was shot about 6 miles in. It may not be any good, as the lighting in my basement was weird, and with my black clothes, shoes and treadmill you may not be able to see much.

But here it is. Interested in feedback. By far, my run is my greatest weakness so I know there is lots to work on over the winter. If this doesn't work out, I can try to get some better video.

Front - http://youtu.be/x8icniKtWfI

Rear - http://youtu.be/mG_6J2TTGsg

Side - http://youtu.be/1A8S342ejgY
2013-08-15 12:22 PM

User image

New user
Rhode Island

Very nice!!! Jealous! Congrats! You should hand out cigars!

2013-08-15 12:32 PM

User image

New user
Rhode Island
Jesse-

I read your post, I thought it was great! I would kill for a fraction of your speed but I understand you're on another level with much higher goals, but you're young! And you have the skill that can't be taught- run speed. You can learn to swim faster over time and you can train (and spend $$) to bike faster, but running is the big thing limited by genetics and you've won that lottery! If the Olympics don't end up being in the cards you still have tons of time to kill it in the 70.3 and IM world!

John
2013-08-15 12:50 PM

User image

Lenexa, KS
I appreciate the encouragement John. I made my goals, but mostly the somber tone was from being in about the same place among the recruits as I was last year with a bunch of guys in the top 10 in the age group and several in the top 20 overall. These were guys I didn't even see at Nationals last year because either they weren't in the program yet or hadn't qualified. Copy paste from the e-mail with Barb of results from just our group for Males 20-24

Males 20-24:
2 Steve Mantell CSU Senior, OTC Camp, 7th fastest run (33:55), 20:12 swim
4 Ian Boggs Indiana swimmer, Junior, fastest swim (17:28), 37:20 run
5 Brad Miles Baylor runner, OTC Camp, Senior, 4th fastest run (33:38), 21:34 swim
7 Alex Russeau Mich State runner, OTC Camp ’12, 2nd fastest run (32:56), 22:51 swim
8 Andrew Nielsen Wisconsin swimmer, OTC Camp, 2nd fastest swim (17:34), 38:25 run

So if you want to know what stick I'm measuring myself by currently, there you go, ha. These are the guys I'm supposed to be a part of a group with. mostly they're destroying me on the swim, but they're also tearing the bike up too.

We also had some outstanding female performances including Taylor Spivey 2nd overall, as well as the women's 3rd, 4th, and 7th overall finishes. There's a mix of younger/older people in the group and I'm in the middle for now, but next year I'll start approaching the older end being in the 25-26 range where most recruits will have been able to move up to racing Continental Cups (entry level pro).

Anyway I don't think I'd mentioned in the group here yet that my college's swim coach has agreed to take me on like he suggested a few years back when I wasn't yet able to commit. I won't really get a ton of one-on-one time with him, but I'll be able to be in the pool with the swim team for workouts and I'm sure he'll point out little things here and there to fix as well as having nicer facilities with mirrors in the pool and other cool gear I don't have access to now. I'm hoping this will help me make the jump downwards to get out of the water with the first 10 guys next year.
2013-08-15 12:54 PM

User image

Lenexa, KS
Also David I checked out the videos briefly. Actually looks like your foot strike is pretty good. Wished the side view had been backed up a little bit so I could see your whole body. Gives me a better idea on whether you're in line or squatting while you run which is a huge efficiency thing.

All in all I couldn't see a ton on the initial run through I wanted to tweak, but get me a back upped view of your whole body and I'll take a look at your arm swings again to see what I might suggest, but I think the arm position as far as elbow bent is about right currently.

2013-08-16 7:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Shawnee
Running without socks... . I've been told to apply body glide. It seems that if I put it on my feet it would rub off during the swim and bike. Is that right? Is it better to just put it inside my shoes?
2013-08-16 7:18 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Very nice!!! Jealous! Congrats! You should hand out cigars!

Thanks! No cigars, but I will post some pictures up.
2013-08-16 9:08 AM

User image

Lenexa, KS
Originally posted by dprocket

Running without socks... . I've been told to apply body glide. It seems that if I put it on my feet it would rub off during the swim and bike. Is that right? Is it better to just put it inside my shoes?

Yes put it in the shoes. I don't train without socks, but I will race without them. For my flats I'll put it in the heel/achilles part of the shoe liberally and then wherever you might have other hot spots. In my shoes it varies so I don't even worry about the rest of the shoe.

I actually have historically put it in my bike shoes in the same area, but they're worn enough now I don't need it to get them on and they don't bother me, but that's another consideration if you don't bike barefoot.
2013-08-17 7:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia
The good news is I took first place in my age group at a local 5k today with a 21:53.

The bad news is I found out yesterday that the outdoor pool I've been swimming in all summer has been closed for the remainder of the season (we have another 6-8 weeks of outdoor swimming weather here) due to a leak that has to be repaired. I still have 3 more races through the end of September...time to find a new swim option.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Funked Up Triathletes (Sprint, Olympic Focus) Group - Closed Until Next Season Rss Feed  

of 16